SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Heat exhaustion and psychiatric drugs

mammaP

• Moderator Emeritus

Reports show that psych drugs make people more susceptible to heat stroke in hot weather. Be very careful and take care during the summer, older people are especially vulnerable but that does not mean that younger people are not affected! 

https://breggin.com/alert-5-beware-psychiatric-drugs-heat-stroke/

Alert # 5: Beware! Psychiatric Drugs & Heat Stroke

Now that summer is here, remember that many psychiatric drugs pose a risk of potentially lethal heat exhaustion or heat stroke, including antipsychotic drugs, antidepressants, and stimulants. Any drug that disrupts major neurotransmitter systems like dopamine, acetylcholine, serotonin, or histamine can disrupt heat regulation and poses a potential for causing or aggravating heat stroke. That includes almost all psychiatric drugs.

Older people are at especially high risk of fatal reactions. Epidemic deaths, often associated with psychiatric drugs, have been reported (Martin-Latry 2007, Kuzuya 2013) on hot days among the elderly in apartments and other housing without air conditioning. People of all ages are at risk when vigorously exercising in the heat. Hypotension and shock induced by heat stroke are among the causes of death or lasting organ damage, including the kidneys, liver and lungs.

If you want to know the risk of heat stroke associated with drugs you are taking, you can directly Google the drug and the effect, such as “Prozac and heat stroke” or “Abilify and heat stroke” or “Ritalin and heat stroke.” The results can be startling. Key words to search on-line include heat stroke, heat exhaustion, heat intolerance, heat sensitivity, hyperthermia, temperature dysregulation, hypothalamic dysregulation, and dehydration. You can broadly search with a term like “drug heat intolerance” or “psychiatric drug heat intolerance.”

Initial symptoms of heat exhaustion, hyperthermia and heat stroke include headache, nausea and vomiting, muscle cramps, heavy sweating, pallor, cold skin, elevated heart rate, and weakness. As the reaction worsens, symptoms include high fever, trouble breathing, hot or red skin, dehydration with lack of sweating and dark urine, fainting, collapse, and seizures. Mental symptoms include cognitive dysfunction such as confusion and delirium. In the elderly, any abrupt decline in physical or mental health and well-being on a hot day or in a hot room should raise the question of heat exhaustion.

Heat stroke is a medical emergency requiring immediate medical attention. Emergency measures under clinical supervision include emersion in a bath of cold or ice water, a cooling blanket, and/or ice packs to the groin, neck, back and armpits to lower body temperature. Shivering increases the body temperature and sedative medications can relieve them. 

Prevention is the best approach. Especially if you are concerned about elderly and otherwise impaired people in your life, even if they are living in a managed care facility, be sure to check on them during hot weather to make sure they are not suffering from heat exposure. If they are taking psychiatric drugs, they will need special attention to protect them from the risk of heat intolerance or heat stroke. People with impaired judgment and compromised physical health can rapidly decline when confined in a hot room or when their air conditioner fails. And, of course, they can always benefit from our attention!

Peter R. Breggin, MD

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for posting this MammaP, it had me wondering why I was going nuts in the heat!

On a serious note, the heat makes me brain dead (it just doesn't function at all), and I feel ill/off.

Fortunately, in southern UK we are now experiencing cooler temperatures in the early 20s - phew!

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

AS an FYI for those taking Lexapro:

About this FactMed analysis covering adverse side effect reports of LEXAPRO patients who developed HEAT STROKE.

FactMed provides MD-approved analysis to help both patients, researchers, and physicians accurately assess the risk profile for more than 20,000 different pharmaceutical products. The below report offers compiled information from Food & Drug Administration and FactMed user submissions. Between January 2004 and October 2012, 18 individuals taking LEXAPRO reported HEAT STROKE to the FDA. A total of 34187 LEXAPRO drug adverse event reaction reports were made with the FDA during this time period. Often the FDA only receives reports of the most critical and severe cases; these numbers may therefore underrepresent the complication rate of the medication.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I would like to point out that there is a very large difference between Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke.

Heat Exhaustion, while very uncomfortable, is just that exhaustion.  It's a stress reaction to the body being over heated and dehydrated. Shade, cooler temperatures, liquids and rest are called for.

Heat Stroke is a very dangerous and deadly medical condition.  It's the overheating of the brain to the point that the proteins start to harden causing the brain to stop functioning. Hence the term stroke.  If you have it you might not know it until its too late. Wear a hat, be very careful while in the sun and if you feel the least bit of heat exhaustion get into the shade and cool down. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 6 years later...

Hey Everyone!

I read this article the other day on heat intolerance and psychiatric medications. Since it's only getting hotter, I figured I'd add this article on this thread.😊

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/two-takes-depression/202107/heat-intolerance-and-psychiatric-medications

I also found another article that lists other medications that can cause heat intolerance as well, in case you've finished tapering or been off psych meds for a while but are still taking a medication that can contribute to it. In this article, I think the classification of medication is important to note as a risk factor, regardless of age or health - not just the specific medication listed.

Can Medications Make You More Sensitive to Sun and Heat? - Consumer Reports

1993-1997 Prozac 20mg 

1997 Paxil 10mg     1998 Zyban

2005-2010 Celexa 20mg    

2005-2014 Xanax .5mg prn

2010-2022 Lexapro 40mg tapered, last dose 2/12/22             

2014 Zoloft 10mg

2014-2022 Seroquel 800mg tapered, last dose 7/13/22           

2022 Klonopin .5mg prn (haven't used it yet)

Lexapro start taper 12/16/21 - 40mg - 30mg, 1/2/22 - 20mg, 1/15/22 - 10mg, 2/1/22 - 5mg, 2/12/22 - 0mg. 

Seroquel start taper 12/16/21 - 800mg - 600mg, 1/2/22 - 400mg, 1/15/22 - 300mg, 2/12/22 - 200mg, 3/1/22 - 150mg, 3/15/22 - 100mg, 4/1/22 - 50mg, 4/15/22 - 25mg,   5/1/22 - 12mg, 5/15/22 - 6mg, 6/15/22 - 3mg, 7/13/22 - 0mg.   

Currently taking magnesium, fish oil, calcium and vitamin D3. Cut down processed foods and sugar, no alcohol or caffeine.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy