SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Gussy: 9 weeks off effexor wondering if it will ever end?

Gussy

Hi everybody. My name is Gus from Australia. I think i may have found the right site here. I've been on effexor 150mg/day (most of the time. 200mg/day at worst times, 100/day at better times)for about 11 years, was on zoloft, aropax and citolopram for short times beforehand. I wish i'd found this site earlier as it has some great advice for tapering. Too late though as i've already done that with a set of ebay scales and a calculator. Tapered over about 4 months(yeah i know, too fast according to this site). Even still, a lot slower than the doctors would have me do it. I'd just got down to 75mg and a dr told me to go on 37.5 for 2 weeks then just stop. I took his precription to avoid an arguement and threw it in the bin once i got home. Once i got down to about 60mg/day i only dropped it by about 5mg/week. I've been on zero for just over 9 weeks. If my wife hadn't suggested i try her magnesium powder(as it may help with stress) i'd be a complete mess. This stuff really helps. Are there many people out there who can please tell me how long it took to get back to where you were before you started effexor? What kind of symptoms, waves and windows you had and how often did you have each and how long did they last each time you had them? Also, i've heard omega 3's are usefull. Can anyone please tell me how so? What do they relieve and how much to take? Any informed/positive replies are very welcome. Regards, Gus.

Edited by mammaP

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gus, welcome to SA.  I am another one who tapered effexor too fast and suffered the consequences. I tapered for a year by removing beads from the capsule. After a month of being off I was hit with withdrawal.  The only way to stop withdrawal is to reinstate a small dose to stabilise then taper slowly off that small dose. For me, it was just 4 beads from the capsule that did the trick. It is good that you are finding magnesium helpful, that, along with fish oil are the only supplements we universally recommend. Many people find other supplements helpful but others can find they make things worse. There are many topics on different supplements where people share their experiences with them.  The fish oil helps with the brain zaps and 'electrical' feelings. It is clinically proven to help the brain and many of us take it regularly. 

I would strongly recommend reinstating a few beads of effexor, everyone is different but many people find that withdrawal can worsen with time and months after quitting can deteriorate. I wish I could say that the majority of people get through withdrawal easily but that is not what we find here. I suppose we don't hear of those, because they don't need to find us! No one, EVER wants to reinstate after carefully tapering as you and I did, but it is the only way to stop the withdrawal. There is a window of time when reinstatement can help, the more time that passes the less likely it is to help. Under 3 months there is a high success rate but after that the body tends to become sensitive to the drug and doesn't tolerate it the same as before. This is also the reason we suggest a tiny amount, quite often people who reinstate the full dose, can't tolerate it. They go to the doctor, who then increases the dose, often doubling it and they are suffering from terrible reactions which find them ion more and more drugs. 

I am sorry, this is not the positive post that you were looking for but it is positive in that you can get through this by reinstating just a few beads. If you can get tablets in Australia you could make a liquid from them to get the tiny dose, it is much easier to taper. I will find some links for you to useful topics that you can look at. First, we ask all our members to put their drug and tapering history in their signature. A brief list with the recent doses and taper details will be fine. Also include any other drugs and supplements as they can interact causing other symptoms. 

Instructions how to fill in signature

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

About reinstating

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

How to taper effexor

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tapering-off-effexor-venlafaxine/

Fish oil

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

Magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Gus here. Wow thank you for your reply and advice mammaP. I don't think i can go on the effexor again. I know i will feel like i sold out and will be very dissapointed in myself. I will keep your comments in mind however should things get worse and appreciate your quick reply. I posted in the introduce yourself section, had no replies and thought i'd be on my own. I only took about 4&1/2 months to get from about 150mg to zero with some scales and maths to work out weights. I don't have brain zaps any more which is good. I kind of based it all on brain zap frequency/intensity as to wether i should drop my dose again. Once i got to about 60mg/week i was only dropping by 5mg/week which was probably still too quick hey? The youtube videos give me a lot of hope that this may end and to stay strong. I need to ask a yuk question. Can diahhrea/unformed stools be a withdrawal symptom? I've had it for months now every morn. My doctor actually said i'm ok to take 1 or 2 immodium tabs/day to help which is good. I rejected their method of tapering though as we all know what happens if you try to drop by 37.5 a time. At least at work i don't have to worry. The main thing for me is what i call the "cry babies". I can hear the wrong song/sound, think the wrong thought or watch the wrong thing on tv and be overcome with emotion and just cry. The magnesium i think really helps with this. I do have effexor left in bead form just incase but want to avoid it. I had my first reasonable day on the toilet yesterday so hoping things progress in that department. One final thing for now if i may, can effexor affect male fertility in a way that can prevent embryo development? I know that's a big question however. I'm very gratefull someone out there has heard me as no one i talk to understands. Even a friend who went off pristiq didn't have the same experience.I bawled my eyes out watching the youtube videos because now i know it's the withdrawal and others know it's true too. I know this isn't the real me before i started meds i told the dr that the other day. I keep reminding myself of the healing graph now thanks to you guys. Looking forward to more windows, which i think i'm having from time to time. Once again thank you for your reply it's so good to know someone was there even if it's only this one time. I will remember this kindness. If you feel like replying again i will appreciate it however. Gus.

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

I'm sorry mammaP, Gus again. Can i also ask if muscle twitches and chills are from withdrawal. I get twitches in my kidney area on both sides and i think i'm feeling the cold a bit more than normal. I did have my kidney function tested which came back fine. Kind regards, gus.

Gussy

Man why do i keep thinking of things to ask too late? Gus here again. May i also ask if there's a link between effexor use and low testosterone? Final question before a reply, i promise.

Kind regards, Gus.

Gussy

Gus,

Yes, man, you have certainly come down too fast.  I was on 225mg of the stuff a year ago and am at 112.5mg (50%) a year later.

For many, (most?) sexual dysfunction and countless other weird and unpleasant things occur when on Effexor, when reducing it and even after getting off it.  Particularly if you were on it for years, as was I, too.  

In my blood test 3 months ago, testosterone level was fine, and I am 71.  However, that does not mean that when on antidepressants you can function like you wish you could.

Lower doses, do allow some recovery, though, IMO. 

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

6 minutes ago, peng said:

However, that does not mean that when on antidepressants you can function like you wish you could.

We cannot edit our posts at all now - which is a big drag.  I expect the wonderful people in charge of the site are aware, though, and will be annoyed about it, too.

Above sentence should read "However, that does not mean that when affected by the taking of antidepressants - even several months ago - ........"

Born 1945. 

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Gus,

Use search engine for "SNRI male fertility", for example.

I found this, but it deals with SSRIs.

My personal posts refer to the mechanical/psychological effects.  Transport of sperm problem I did not address.

Best wishes

http://weill.cornell.edu/featured/missed_conception.html

Born 1945. 

Hi Peng, Gus here thank you for your reply. Once again much appreciated. I've read about similar studies myself but chose to believe our ivf dr's opinions in the past. However, after hearing g.p's opinions on how to get off antidepressants i don't really believe them any more, and doubt they really know much about their effects on the body at all except for how they can help your mind. I have plenty of waves during the day but on most nights lately i find i'm quite calm. Give or take a few nights. Right now i feel the way i want to feel all day long which feels awesome. Believe it or not my function down there is already improving, slowly though. It's awesome that there's a site where experienced people can guide newbies like me and that experienced people can be bothered guiding others too. For now i think if i can feel this way at times surely if i keep fighting i will feel this way more often in the end. I can't ignore the opinions of experienced people though and keep them in mind. I find with some waves they're worse than others and last longer too. Then a while later i'll feel a twinge or pain or something wierd inside my head and a while later again i start to feel calmer than i was with the wave. Does this sound familiar to anyone? They're not brain zaps though it's different. I do have a 5mg capsule made up to take if things get out of hand and i've been so close to taking it at times with waves but in the end i haven't and felt better for not giving in. Magnesium has been my saviour. My wife doesn't believe me but she's an angel for suggesting i try it. Once again thank you for your informed reply.

Kind regards, Gus.

Gussy

Hi  Gus -

Fellow Effexor fast taper person here. The tremors and chills - and the crying jags - are all from withdrawal. 

Withdrawal can also cause digrstive issue. Gowver, so can magnesim. What form of magnesium are you taking, how much, and how often? There might be some tweaking we can do there to help with the bathroom runs.

Hang in there! We are going to heal!

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Wow another reply thank you very much. I've had bad toilet experiences for a good 3 months now and only been on the magnesium for a week and a half or two. I take double the recommended dossage on the tub each day as i'm sure it keeps waves at bay or lessens their strength a bit. I spread it out over the day though. I think it wears off after a while and a wave comes if i only have it in the morn, i will have a bad wave/s in the afternoon/night until later on in the night when most of the time i'm somewhat calm/happy. I guess that a lot of waves are unstoppable no matter what you do huh? I can.t attach a pic of the magnesium ingredients so will have to write it all in here:

Each 5g dose (2scoops) contains:

Mag citrate 773.5mg: equiv to mag 125mg

Mag phosphate pentahydrate 605.3mg:equiv to mag 125mg

Mag bisglycinate117.3mg:equiv to mag 25mg

Mag aspartate dihydrate 200mg:equiv to mag 15mg

Mag orotate 78.1mg: equiv to mag 5mg

Mag amino acid chelate 25mg:equiv to mag 5mg.

TOTAL MAG 300MG

Taurine 1000mg

Silica colloidal anhydrous 535mg: equiv to silicon 250mg

Vitamin c 50mg

Zinc oxide 18.75mg:equiv to zinc 15mg

Selenomethionine 62.1mcg: equiv to selenium 25mcg

I take between 3 and 4 scoops of this over the day. The list i put up shows quantities for a two scoop dose. I hope this is usefull.

I also take 4x1000mg fish oil caps (only started 2 days ago), vitamin b complex, zinc and another thing called supergreens as i've started seeing a naturopath recently. A few questions for ShakeyJerr, are you at zero effexor now? How much were you on before you started getting off of it? How long did you spend tapering? How long have you been off it? How do you feel now? Do you still have waves/windows? Once again thanks for your reply.

Kind regards, Gus.

Gussy

Sorry ShakeyJerr i have another question for you. Did you reinstate at all to help the symptoms or just nut it out?

Gus.

Gussy

On 2017-06-24 at 10:31 AM, mammaP said:

I would strongly recommend reinstating a few beads of effexor, everyone is different but many people find that withdrawal can worsen with time and months after quitting can deteriorate. I wish I could say that the majority of people get through withdrawal easily but that is not what we find here. I suppose we don't hear of those, because they don't need to find us! No one, EVER wants to reinstate after carefully tapering as you and I did, but it is the only way to stop the withdrawal. There is a window of time when reinstatement can help, the more time that passes the less likely it is to help. Under 3 months there is a high success rate but after that the body tends to become sensitive to the drug and doesn't tolerate it the same as before. This is also the reason we suggest a tiny amount, quite often people who reinstate the full dose, can't tolerate it. They go to the doctor, who then increases the dose, often doubling it and they are suffering from terrible reactions which find them ion more and more drugs. 

I am sorry, this is not the positive post that you were looking for but it is positive in that you can get through this by reinstating just a few beads. If you can get tablets in Australia you could make a liquid from them to get the tiny dose, it is much easier to taper.

About reinstating

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Hi mammaP, i hope that by quoting your post it means you know i want to ask you something. I will reinstate if things get unbearable. I don't think they are yet however. Anyway, do you know if the healing the youtube videos speak of will continue even with a tiny dose of effexor in my body?

Reagards, Gus.

Edited by scallywag
trimmed quote to relevant portion

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

Gus, if you're having lower digestive track issues such as diarrhea, you should cut back on the magnesium to ¼ or ½ the dose on the magnesium supplement container.  If the issue persists, look at the form of magnesium: Mag citrate is the form that most commonly causes these issues; mag glycinate and mag malate seem to be more gentle.

About reinstating:

3 hours ago, Gussy said:

Hi mammaP, i hope that by quoting your post it means you know i want to ask you something. I will reinstate if things get unbearable. I don't think they are yet however. Anyway, do you know if the healing the youtube videos speak of will continue even with a tiny dose of effexor in my body?

You *may* be one of the lucky minority of people whose symptoms don't intensify but subside completely over several months. Or, you may not.

Waiting until symptoms become unbearable is likely to be a problem. If they become unbearable, reinstatement can be tricky and stabilization can take longer than anyone wants.  The risk of adverse "side" effects presented by taking a small dose of Effexor is low. The risk of getting moderate to severe symptoms for an extended period (many months) is high. 

Information about the CNS (central nervous system) and withdrawal that mammaP was probably talking about:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Edited by scallywag

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

10 hours ago, Gussy said:

Each 5g dose (2scoops) contains:

Mag citrate 773.5mg: equiv to mag 125mg

Mag phosphate pentahydrate 605.3mg:equiv to mag 125mg

Mag bisglycinate117.3mg:equiv to mag 25mg

Mag aspartate dihydrate 200mg:equiv to mag 15mg

Mag orotate 78.1mg: equiv to mag 5mg

Mag amino acid chelate 25mg:equiv to mag 5mg.

TOTAL MAG 300MG

Taurine 1000mg

Silica colloidal anhydrous 535mg: equiv to silicon 250mg

Vitamin c 50mg

Zinc oxide 18.75mg:equiv to zinc 15mg

Selenomethionine 62.1mcg: equiv to selenium 25mcg

Hi Gus -

The mods here usually suggest staying away from multi-ingredient supplements; it makes it difficult to know if you are having a reaction to something. But, many are also of the mind to not make changes if you feel that something is working. It's a tough call, because everybody is so different biologically.

Your digestive problems started well before you started taking the magnesium, so it is most likely that they are a withdrawal symptom - and a common one at that. However, as scallywag said, the citrate form of magnesium can sometimes exacerbate the issue. If you are having good effects otherwise from this supplement, you might want to look at other areas of your diet that will help normalize your digestion. I know that for me, drastically reducing foods with added sugar and eating a lot of raw veggies helped my digestion.

Generally speaking, the healthier your food intake, the better your recovery.

Hang in there!

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

8 hours ago, Gussy said:

Sorry ShakeyJerr i have another question for you. Did you reinstate at all to help the symptoms or just nut it out?

Gus.

I did not reinstate. But my case has some very individual reasons. First off, my withdrawal was delayed by a few months, and by the time I realized what was going on, I was outside the generally accepted window for reinstatement (4 months). Plus, my wife and I had a 2-fold fear of reinstating:

1) The meds had altered my personality so drastically that it very nearly ended my marriage. We did not want to risk what might happen to my personality. Off of the meds, we discovered me to be a very gentle, loving, thoughtful person - not the rageful anger-monger I had acted like for so many years.

2) My wife's uncle had committed suicide very shortly after starting his own psych-meds. We understand that such happenings are statistically rare, but we feared the meds giving me just enough "strength" to do something bad to myself to just end my withdrawal.

However, as I said, I had some specific circumstances. Many people are very safe and successful with reinstatement. It really is an individual/family choice. Never take what I say as medical advice - just personal experience.

SJ

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 0:31 AM, mammaP said:

Hi Gus, welcome to SA.  I am another one who tapered effexor too fast and suffered the consequences. I tapered for a year by removing beads from the capsule. After a month of being off I was hit with withdrawal.  The only way to stop withdrawal is to reinstate a small dose to stabilise then taper slowly off that small dose. For me, it was just 4 beads from the capsule that did the trick. It is good that you are finding magnesium helpful, that, along with fish oil are the only supplements we universally recommend. Many people find other supplements helpful but others can find they make things worse. There are many topics on different supplements where people share their experiences with them.  The fish oil helps with the brain zaps and 'electrical' feelings. It is clinically proven to help the brain and many of us take it regularly. 

I am sorry, this is not the positive post that you were looking for but it is positive in that you can get through this by reinstating just a few beads. If you can get tablets in Australia you could make a liquid from them to get the tiny dose, it is much easier to taper. I will find some links for you to useful topics that you can look at. First, we ask all our members to put their drug and tapering history in their signature. A brief list with the recent doses and taper details will be fine. Also include any other drugs and supplements as they can interact causing other symptoms. 

Instructions how to fill in signature

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

About reinstating

How to taper effexor

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tapering-off-effexor-venlafaxine/

Fish oil

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

Magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Hi mammaP,

Just incase i end up reinstating may i ask a question? You said you used 4 beads, did you put them in a capsule to take or just swallow the beads on their own? 

Kind regards, Gus.

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gus, we don't recommend naturopaths usually, they tend to sell overpriced supplements that simply make expensive pee! We universally recommend fish oil and magnesium but as the others have said if there are gastric problems then cutting it back can help. I take magnesium glycinate, it is much gentler for me. Mag citrate really upsets my stomach. Imodium is an opiate that slows down the intestinal tract to stop diarrhoea so should be taken with care and not regularly if it can be avoided. The stomach problems are part of withdrawal, the drugs slow down the body functions and when they are stopped they start to move quickly, over time it balances out again. 

I took my beads as they are but if you have capsules it is probably better to use them so the drug goes directly into the stomach. I would find get them stuck in my teeth sometimes!  Taking that tiny amount can help your body to heal rather than slow it down. The nervous system is struggling to regain homeostasis after functioning for years with the drug. Take the drug away and it struggles. Reinstating the small amount helps to settle things down and then a slow taper allows the brain to adjust between drops. 

Tapering from those 4 beads was problematic because you can't cut less than 25%, and I felt it! I devised my own method by tipping the contents of a capsule into a small container. Then I would shake the container and the largest beads would go to the top. I took 4 of the largest beads. When I was stable and ready for another cut I threw away the tiniest beads which were like sugar grains, then opened a new capsule and took 3 of the largest beads. Because I was taking the largest ones they were getting progressively smaller and it worked for me :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

7 hours ago, mammaP said:

Hi Gus, we don't recommend naturopaths usually, they tend to sell overpriced supplements that simply make expensive pee! We universally recommend fish oil and magnesium but as the others have said if there are gastric problems then cutting it back can help. I take magnesium glycinate, it is much gentler for me. Mag citrate really upsets my stomach. Imodium is an opiate that slows down the intestinal tract to stop diarrhoea so should be taken with care and not regularly if it can be avoided. The stomach problems are part of withdrawal, the drugs slow down the body functions and when they are stopped they start to move quickly, over time it balances out again. 

I took my beads as they are but if you have capsules it is probably better to use them so the drug goes directly into the stomach. I would find get them stuck in my teeth sometimes!  Taking that tiny amount can help your body to heal rather than slow it down. The nervous system is struggling to regain homeostasis after functioning for years with the drug. Take the drug away and it struggles. Reinstating the small amount helps to settle things down and then a slow taper allows the brain to adjust between drops. 

Tapering from those 4 beads was problematic because you can't cut less than 25%, and I felt it! I devised my own method by tipping the contents of a capsule into a small container. Then I would shake the container and the largest beads would go to the top. I took 4 of the largest beads. When I was stable and ready for another cut I threw away the tiniest beads which were like sugar grains, then opened a new capsule and took 3 of the largest beads. Because I was taking the largest ones they were getting progressively smaller and it worked for me :)

Hi again mammaP. Thank you for your reply again. I need to ask again. If i reinstated, when i finally got to zero again after longer taper periods of the way smaller amounts do you think i will have the same withdrawal symtoms/intensity as if i keep going the way i am? Like i said it's not unbearable but not pleasant at times either. I just don't want to go through it all over again if it will be the same anyway. Can you tell me how long you waited between dropping a bead, how the withdrawal was each time you dropped and how was it when you finally got to zero?Thank you very much for your advice so far.

Kind regards, Gus.

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

A successful reinstatement would reduce or eliminate your symptoms.  The purpose of tapering by 10% or less is to minimize the risk of withdrawal symptoms. We usually suggest that people hold for several months after symptoms stabilize to give a nice foundation from which to taper.

Approaching reinstatement + taper that way, it is unlikely -- but not guaranteed -- that you would have symptoms as severe as previously.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

3 minutes ago, scallywag said:

A successful reinstatement would reduce or eliminate your symptoms.  The purpose of tapering by 10% or less is to minimize the risk of withdrawal symptoms. We usually suggest that people hold for several months after symptoms stabilize to give a nice foundation from which to taper.

Approaching reinstatement + taper that way, it is unlikely -- but not guaranteed -- that you would have symptoms as severe as previously.

Wow thank you for that turbo reply scallywag. I've thought of something else that makes a difference to me. If i reinstated with a small amount would it affect me sexually? I know about the greater good but after my ivf journey this does matter to me. Thanks again.

Gus.

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

Withdrawal symptoms and adverse "side" effects can arise at any time at any dose.  There's virtually no way of knowing how your CNS (central nervous system) will respond.  Wish I had information you could "hang your hat on", so to speak.

scallywag's Introduction

50 minutes ago, scallywag said:

Withdrawal symptoms and adverse "side" effects can arise at any time at any dose.  There's virtually no way of knowing how your CNS (central nervous system) will respond.  Wish I had information you could "hang your hat on", so to speak.

Man i like to ramble on. I'm quite nervous about reinstating.

Gussy

I have a bit of an off subject question. Does anyone know if using effexor over a long period like mine can cause extremely sore feet? They would be terribly oversore for whatever i was doing at the time. I wonder if effexor may have caused this or a possible nutrient defficiency?

Regards, Gus.

Edited by scallywag
delete irrelevant quote

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

Gussy, I hope other members will see your post about having foot soreness that seems disproportional to the stress or demand of the circumstances.

You might be able to find information from others on the site by using a web search tool such as google or bing and including site:survivingantidepressants.org with your keyword.

scallywag's Introduction

Man you reply quick scallywag full stop yeah my feet have been getting increasingly sore over the last few years and in the last 6 to 8 months before stopping effects or they were incredibly sore. Way too sore for whatever task I was doing. I found it unusual that when I got off the effexor my feet almost straight away started healing. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but I'm a bit suspicious of it. They're not 100 yet but there at least 70%. Regards, Gus.

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

Nothing personal -- just good timing on your questions and my logins. Many times it's almost a day before I or another moderator will reply.

Edited by scallywag

scallywag's Introduction

This morning i had the feeling in my head from the centre of my head to the front right in the middle. Subsided now thank god. You know anything about that?

Regards, Gus.

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

Side effects are often dose related , Once I was stable I had very few, if any side effects from the 4 beads.  I explained my method of taking the biggest bead each day, when I jumped off I had no withdrawal that I remember now, the bead was so tiny. Before I had the brainwave of taking the biggest beads, I had trouble dropping a bead and would get withdrawal. I didn't have a time between drops, but was tapering for around 18 months after reinstating. A long time but not a problem I was functioning ok.

2002  effexor. 

7 hours ago, mammaP said:

Side effects are often dose related , Once I was stable I had very few, if any side effects from the 4 beads.  I explained my method of taking the biggest bead each day, when I jumped off I had no withdrawal that I remember now, the bead was so tiny. Before I had the brainwave of taking the biggest beads, I had trouble dropping a bead and would get withdrawal. I didn't have a time between drops, but was tapering for around 18 months after reinstating. A long time but not a problem I was functioning ok.

Hi mammaP. I'm so sorry to keep bothering you but you've been on and made it off the same drug as me. I hope it's ok that i ask you another question? What symptoms led you to reinstate and how severe were they? I'm nearly sold on it, I just want to know that i'm doing the right thing by myself. If i can make it without reinstating i would like to so it would be good to know what led you to it. Thank you for all your advice so far.

Kind regards, Gus.

Gussy

• Moderator Emeritus

Gussy, I can't answer your questions to mammaP about her specific symptoms.  You may find useful information in this discussion:

How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing.

scallywag's Introduction

20 hours ago, mammaP said:

Hi again mammaP. I'm glad you haven't answered my previous question as you may get to see this one before you post an answer too. When you choose your beads to have each time how do you know you are having the same amount each time? Is it super important that the bigger beads you pick are exactly the same size each day? You would need to make each days dose as similar as possible wouldn't you? Might 5 small beads be very similar to four large beads so I'm not wasting too much? I hope this makes sense.

Kind regards, gus

Gussy

Probably not what this forum is for, I am having a window right now and god it feels good

Gussy

I'm really sorry to keep thinking of things to ask guys. I did have a bad reaction to a herbal supplement that's supposed to help with nerves depression etc. I know it had that St John's Wort in it but can't remember the other ingredients. I was unable to tolerate anything when I was taking this and stop taking it pretty quickly. Might this indicate that reinstatement might not work for me?

Gussy

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, Gussy said:

Man you reply quick scallywag full stop yeah my feet have been getting increasingly sore over the last few years and in the last 6 to 8 months before stopping effects or they were incredibly sore. Way too sore for whatever task I was doing. I found it unusual that when I got off the effexor my feet almost straight away started healing. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but I'm a bit suspicious of it. They're not 100 yet but there at least 70%. Regards, Gus.

Hi, Gussy

I've been tapering off Effexor, too, and I have the foot pain.  I thought it was just age but it seems to be improving little by little as I wean off.

Backtoreality here. I take 120mgs. of Effexor XR. Plan: Week 1: 50mgs. in the morning and 50mgs. at night. Week 2: 50 mgs. morning and 25mgs. at night. Week 3: 25mgs. A.M. and 25mgs.P.M. Week 4: 25mgs to 17.5.

I plan to augment with grains from the capsules as needed and slow down when needed. Time is no object; as long as it takes.

Hi backtoreality, did you have the pain while you were on your full dose or did you notice it during tapering? Mine was so bad, how about yours? Gus.

Gussy