SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Weighted blankets & bed tents for restlessness, akathisia, insomnia, and anxiety

Rhiannon

• Mentor

my therapist suggested I use a weighted blanket, but to be honest, I'd been thinking about getting one for some time.

The only thing holding me back was the price, they are expensive!!

I am fairly sure it's going to help me with anxiety and dissociation, because any time I've had a lead blanket on me during xrays, I've just felt so calm, I didn't want them to take it off!!

As it turns out, though, you don't have to buy one,  you can make them yourself. My therapist has made some for grandkids and others. She gave me some tips and told me of a few places where I could get the plastic pellets or beads for a good price (but I found an even better price, thankfully)

I already had some good fabric, so for about $38 (for the plastic pellets, 12 lbs worth**), I'll soon have my own weighted blanket. It's taking me a long time to make it because my brain is toast lately.

then I'll need to make a cover for it, because these can't be washed in a machine

but once it's done, I'll let you know how it works out.

I think these were originally designed for autistic children but they are now used for a lot of other reasons, one site that sells them has this list:

**they recommend 1lb of pellets for every 10lbs of body weight, plus an extra pound, but I don't have the money to buy more. I'm going to make a blanket that does not cover my feet, anyway, so it'll be a bit shorter and hopefully there will be enough weight where I need it the most.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Weighted blankets for anxiety/dissociation etc
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

the weighted blanket is done and it does help- when it stays put LOL

my first night using it, it slipped off and I had a bad dream and woke up in a panic, ick

I am going to have to find a way to keep it where i want it

I also think I should have made it heavier..... oh well.

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

• Moderator Emeritus

The nice thing about a handcrafted item like this is that you can modify it easily. You know how it was made!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Mentor
7 hours ago, scallywag said:

The nice thing about a handcrafted item like this is that you can modify it easily. You know how it was made!

oh it would be very difficult to modify this now that it's finished, SW-

I would have to make a whole new blanket, which I might do at some point, but the plastic beads are pricey (one reason I didn't use as many as was recommended- and now I wish I had :/)

but it will do for now. it does help, but not as much as I'd hoped.

I guess I had some unrealistic expectations.  OK, I know I had some unrealistic expectations, heh. I imagined laying under it and drifting off to for a nice peaceful sleep of 7 hrs or so.

*sigh*

that will come, eventually.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

TIPS FOR MAKING A WEIGHTED BLANKET:

They aren't hard to make but you do need to plan ahead.  I made one for my son-in-law.  First off we tried using a single quilt cover but it was only a cheap one and was slippery.  I then used some calico curtain lining which I had from some old curtains.  I laid it flat folded in half (the long edge) on a 6 foot folding table and ruled lines from the folded edge.  I think we did 5 inch squares.  I then sewed the short row across the middle and then sewed down the long rows.  You then work from the middle towards the top and bottom.  When filling I only filled across 1 short row at a time, pinning each "pocket" and then stitched across.  It was too fiddly trying to do 2.  When doing 1 row the beads will fall to the left of the sewing machine and not get in the way.  I did try to fill 2 rows but accidentally sewed through a bead but thankfully because they are soft it didn't wreck anything.

The other thing I found helpful was putting a board beside/underneath the end of the sewing machine to rest the blanket on, so that the board makes an extension to the left of you and keeps the blanket all on one level.  I use my ironing board to sew on and the board extended across the ironing board.

You also need to add extra at the top and the bottom so that you can turn it over twice and stitch along to finish off.  So as an example add an extra 2 inches top and bottom and then turn over 1 inch and then turn over another inch and stitch along.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Do-it-yourself weighted blankets https://diyprojects.com/weighted-blankets-diy/

https://qualityplasticpellets.com/2013/01/04/a-warm-night-in-the-diy-guide-to-a-weighted-blanket/  

I'll bet you can make one of these with an inexpensive zippered duvet or blanket cover; use a sewing machine to create 6-8 vertical channels most of the way up to the zipper (leave room so you can put stuffing in the channels), then fill the channels with plastic pellets (this is what seems to be the stuffing for most). Finally, sew horizontally across the top of the channels, under the zipper, to keep the plastic pellets in the channels.

It's possible you'll need a weighted blanket only for a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Weighted blankets & bed tents for restlessness, akathisia, insomnia, and anxiety
  • 3 months later...

I found this article helpful in choosing a weighted blanket:

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/weighted-blankets-for-adults/

If purchasing one it's a good idea to select one with a return policy in case you find you don't like it.

I absolutely love mine and wish I'd gotten one years ago.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:34 PM, Happy2Heal said:

the weighted blanket is done and it does help- when it stays put LOL

my first night using it, it slipped off and I had a bad dream and woke up in a panic, ick

I am going to have to find a way to keep it where i want it

The manufacturer of mine explained that unlike a regular blanket the size should be chosen to fit the person, not the bed, so that it doesn't slip off.

• 2019-01-16 50 mg of Trazodone 2x/week
  • 01-23 up to 100 mg, various frequencies and dosages
  • 05-03 100 mg
  • 05-10 90 mg
  • 05-16 Starting tapering by 2.5 mg/day
  • 05-30 50 mg
  • 05-31 65 mg
  • 06-07 75 mg
  • 06-15 67.5 mg
  • 06-17 75 mg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I just purchased a cooling weighted blanket on amazon.  I really hope it is cooling, because I suffer from hot flashes due to menopause.  I have a very thick heavy weighted blanket I've had for many years due to neurological issues I have, but it is so thick and heavy and made of polyester, so I suffocate under that.  If my new weighted blanket works, I'd be willing to sell my old heavy, warm weighted blanket. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 9 months later...

I am having RLS or akathisia or I dont know what I would call it. I have been thinking avout buying weighted blanket to help me fall asleep and hopefully help my CNS to relax. I just dont know am I wasting just my money. Hopefully not. I am quite desperate to find ways to deal with akathisia. I am going through hard time .

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2022 july (microtapering) 3,0 mg Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, hennie86 said:

I am having RLS or akathisia or I dont know what I would call it. I have been thinking avout buying weighted blanket to help me fall asleep and hopefully help my CNS to relax. I just dont know am I wasting just my money. Hopefully not. I am quite desperate to find ways to deal with akathisia. I am going through hard time .

I have a weighted blanket, and it definitely calms me down.  Unfortunately I don't use it that often, as I also have a lot of hot flashes, both from WD and menopause.  Jennifer

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

22 hours ago, hennie86 said:

I have a weighted blanket and it helps my RLS but isn’t helping with this creepy crawling feeling I’m having. 

I do use spray magnesium that Apace41 (a mod here) suggested and that helps with my legs somewhat. But talk with someone before you use it to make sure it’s ok. I got it on Amazon.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Frogie said:

I do use spray magnesium that Apace41 (a mod here) suggested and that helps with my legs somewhat. But talk with someone before you use it to make sure it’s ok. I got it on Amazon.

SA's discussion topic is here.

magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker

This is the link to the search within that topic for spray

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=spray&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=15483

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

9 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

SA's discussion topic is here.

magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker

This is the link to the search within that topic for spray

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=spray&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=15483

Thank you ChessieCat!

I just wanted to make sure it was ok before I suggested anything to anyone.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

On 5/30/2020 at 4:22 PM, Frogie said:

I have a weighted blanket and it helps my RLS but isn’t helping with this creepy crawling feeling I’m having. 

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thanks Frogie for sharing your experiences about weighted blanket. I decided to order a weighted blanket because I feel desperate. I have no health issue why I cant use it, I just hope its worth the money. I have read about it and it seems to be helping some people with RLS and insomnia. Also with restlessness that I experience a lot during wd.

Yes I have an idea what you mean when you describe "creepy crawling". I feel this tingling, inner vibration, almost "itchy feeling" inside my legs. It feels sometimes almost painful and moving my legs help a bit. I use magnesiul spray and it helps a bit  to relax muscles but I hope my new blanket would help my sleep and in that way help me to feel a

bit better during the day too.

Hopefully your RLS get also better! ☺

Hennie

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2022 july (microtapering) 3,0 mg Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

3 hours ago, hennie86 said:

Thanks Frogie for sharing your experiences about weighted blanket. I decided to order a weighted blanket because I feel desperate. I have no health issue why I cant use it, I just hope its worth the money. I have read about it and it seems to be helping some people with RLS and insomnia. Also with restlessness that I experience a lot during wd.

Yes I have an idea what you mean when you describe "creepy crawling". I feel this tingling, inner vibration, almost "itchy feeling" inside my legs. It feels sometimes almost painful and moving my legs help a bit. I use magnesiul spray and it helps a bit  to relax muscles but I hope my new blanket would help my sleep and in that way help me to feel a

bit better during the day too.

Hopefully your RLS get also better! ☺

Hennie

You’re very welcome.

I hope the weighted blanket helps you and you can get some relief.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy