Savannah: Nightmare escitalopram cold turkey withdrawal. Please help.

Savannah

I was on escitolapram for 6 years at a 20mg daily dose. 

I'm 45, male and had a minor heart attack which involved having a pacemaker fitted. The hospital immediately stopped my escitolapram dosage cold turkey due to this. 

Im on week 10 of a cold turkey withdrawal and it's a hell on earth.

In fairness I was in hospital for two weeks due to the heart condition after starting withdrawal  and I never really had the brain zaps or any psychical pain that I have read about here, but boy did I make up for it in anxiety, depression, anhedonia etc etc...

I just want to get into a bed go to sleep and never wake up. I sleep soundly but when I wake up the fear and dread of the day ahead is atrocious and brutal.

I started escitolapram on the advice of my doctor after I became depressed following the end of a relationship. It worked after about three weeks and I did feel much better. But in hindsight I was really just on autopilot. I could function and get on with my life but I put on 3 stone in weight, isolated myself, poor libido, cold personality etc etc. I never expected to be on it for six years and I did try to come off it within that time but as the withdrawal symptoms kicked in, I thought it was the depression returning so I went back on them..

Has anyone ever been in this position and how long did it take for the withdrawal symptoms to ease. 

Reading the stories here, have greatly helped knowing I'm not alone but there is no way I could tolerate this for another three years. 

I cant go back on to them to taper off due to the heart issue.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed....

please and thank you....

Was on Escitolapram ( Lexepro) for 6 years from Mar 2011 to April 2017. 20mg a day.

I went off cold turkey as tapering wasn't an option as it had to be stopped immediately to prevent any further deterioration to my heart as I now have a Pacemaker fitted.

After 11 weeks of cold turkey and barely able to function, I was prescribed 50mg of Zooloft to help me stabilise and get back to normal as it was the least threatening AD to my heart condition.

Went to the doctor again and he put me back up to 100mg of Sertraline as he seemed to think 50mg was too low of a dosage.

I began to feel much better and was almost back to normal after 6 weeks. 

Reduced to 50mg of Sertraline after 10 weeks of 100mg when I was satisfied I had stabilized and felt so much better and back to normal.

On 50mg for five weeks now and so far so good. Side effects have lessened but notice a difference in outlook but still much much better than where i was during cold turkey when I was taking nothing at all.

Will stay on 50mg for another 12 weeks and then hope to go down to 25mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Savannah.

Did your doctors say why it would be dangerous to be on an AD with your heart issue?

As you have probably seen, in your situation (-the heart issue) we suggest reinstating a very small dose of 0.5 or 1 mg Lexapro.

More to follow later :)

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Yes, I had an underlying heart condition from birth that I was unaware of, which only came to light as I got older...i.e. 45 years old after taking escitolapram for 6 years...in short, I was pre-disposed to the wiring in my heart not working properly and they thought but weren't sure that taking escitolapram may have exacerbated the issue...that's why they stopped me taking it. 

I went back to my own doctor afterwards and she suggested Sertraline or (zooloft) but at that point I was off 4 weeks and thought I was over the worst of the withdrawal symptoms...and I should stay off ADs....how wrong was I? 

At first it was just sadness and depression and now it's all that and anxiety, anhedonia etc which all seem to be getting worse after 10 weeks instead of better.

In fairness though, I never had the brain zaps or anything like that which many here have had. 

I'm reluctant to go back on, even at a small dose, as I was hoping I'm over the worst which is probably why I'm on here looking for reassurance...

This forum, is by far the best of all I have read and well done to all of you...

It gives hope and lets us know we're not on our own...thank you...

Was on Escitolapram ( Lexepro) for 6 years from Mar 2011 to April 2017. 20mg a day.

I went off cold turkey as tapering wasn't an option as it had to be stopped immediately to prevent any further deterioration to my heart as I now have a Pacemaker fitted.

After 11 weeks of cold turkey and barely able to function, I was prescribed 50mg of Zooloft to help me stabilise and get back to normal as it was the least threatening AD to my heart condition.

Went to the doctor again and he put me back up to 100mg of Sertraline as he seemed to think 50mg was too low of a dosage.

Reduced to 50mg of Sertraline after 10 weeks of 100mg when I was satisfied I had stabilized and felt so much better and back to normal.

On 50mg for five weeks now and so far so good. Side effects have lessened but notice a difference in outlook but still much much better than where i was during cold turkey when I was taking nothing at all.

Savannah -

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I too was set on the road to antidepressant hell because of situational depression (the end of my first marriage).

But there is hope. You will heal from withdrawal. In fact, starting right now, my friend, let's flip the script by dropping the word "withdrawal" and using the word "recovery." Positive thinking really is a key to healing.

You say that anxiety is your #1 problem right now. Okay, let's build you an anxiety-killing tool kit!

First of all know that your anxiety is likely due to cortisol spikes. Here is a link to the general thread on handling cortisol spikes: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

Cortisol spikes are often caused by adrenal fatigue. These drugs do a number on the adrenals. If you are feeling back pain, pain that you didn't have before your recovery started, odds are it is from adrenal fatigue.

The #1 cure for adrenal fatigue is cleaning up your eating habits. Get rid of white flour, pasta, and rice. Stick to fresh vegetables and protein-rich foods.

Also, I drink an "adrenal cocktail" twice a day:

- take 4 ounces of citrus juice (orange juice is recommended) and mix in 1/2-teaspoon of cream of tartar and 1/2-teaspoon of sea salt (NOT table salt). Drink this an hour before (or after) eating.

I am going to leave things at that for now. Don't want to overload you. I'll check back in later with some other anxiety-killing tools.

Be happy, be healthy, and know that I am out here praying for you!

SJ

MODERATOR'S NOTE: IMPORTANT!!  PLEASE CLICK ON BELOW LINK REGARDING THE "ADRENAL COCKTAIL" FOR THOSE WITH HEALTH ISSUES:

Edited by Skeeter
Moderator's note added

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, bubble said:

Did your doctors say why it would be dangerous to be on an AD with your heart issue?

Bubble,

It sounds like Savannah may be dealing with a heart rhythm issue. SSRIs are known to create issues with Long QT syndrome.  See the attached article.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20130129/antidepressants-celexa-lexapro-tied-to-irregular-heartbeat-study#1

But, it may or may not be an issue with such a small reinstatement of the medicine as we propose.

Just throwing this out there for more information.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thank you for all your kind comments.

I know thinking positive is a big part of the solution and while I try to, it's not always easy.

I try to focus on the good points since quitting as well....

1. I've lost weight, almost 20Lb.

2. I also had psoriasis which started a few years back and I never linked the two together, but it's started to clear up too since I quit ADs. I use this as a yardstick in my head, in that, when it's fully gone, my brain will be well healed too.

3. I take no medication now whatsoever, not even for the heart condition, so it's just me, healthy food and sleep now. 

I just take one day at a time and I hope I'm at the lowest point now and that it doesn't get any worse...thank you all again, finding this forum has been a great source of help and inspiration....

I promise I'll keep updating and hopefully some day I'll have a successful recovery story to post to help others...god bless....

Hi Savannah -

One thing I didn't think of - about the adrenal drink... You have a heart condition, so check with your doctor if sodium is a problem.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Savannah: Nightmare escitalopram cold turkey withdrawal. Please help....
On 2017-06-28 at 3:10 PM, ShakeyJerr said:

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I too was set on the road to antidepressant hell because of situational depression (the end of my first marriage).

But there is hope. You will heal from withdrawal. In fact, starting right now, my friend, let's flip the script by dropping the word "withdrawal" and using the word "recovery." Positive thinking really is a key to healing.

How long ShakeyJerr did you have to go through all the withdrawal symptoms or how long did it take you to recover I should ask? Are u still off them?

Im now going into Week 11 without having taken anything.

I had to go to a stag weekend this weekend in Germany and I'm just home. To be honest I was dreading going whereas before I stopped taking ADs I'd have been looking forward to it for weeks and been the life and soul of the party.

But it was one of the worst weekends of my life. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I didn't want to spoil it for the others so I just went along with it as best i could.

Every bar we went into, the noise went right through me, I couldn't be bothered even chatting to anyone and pretended I had a bug and was just under the weather.

I didn't go out the final night and let the others go on as I felt I was spoiling it for everyone else.

I just wanted to go to sleep and shut everything out. I spent the night in my hotel on my own and actually enjoyed the peace without loud music and everyone shouting in my ear.

I had a few drinks over the weekend which didn't help either I suppose. 

Its just this seems never ending and feels even worse now than two or three weeks ago. I really don't want to have to start taking these ADs again and I can't due to the heart issue but if things don't begin to improve or at least see light at the end of the tunnel I may have no choice. 

The suicidal thoughts came and went over the weekend and still do....that really is the lowest point in all this....when u feel at least if I was dead, this pain would be no more. 

Everyone is different but I wish someone could just give a timeline of how long it takes to feel relatively normal again...how anyone could suffer this for three years is beyond me...they deserve a medal if they do...thanks everyone and sorry for the long post....

Savannah...

Edited by scallywag
add extra lines after paragraphs

3 hours ago, Savannah said:

How long ShakeyJerr did you have to go through all the withdrawal symptoms or how long did it take you to recover I should ask? Are u still off them?

I am still recovering. I have good days and bad days, good moments and bad moments. I have been off of the meds now for 6 months.

It's a rebuilding process. It takes time. Give this thread a read: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1160-how-psychiatric-drugs-remodel-your-brain/ 

It will help put things in perspective a bit.

As for your weekend - usually, doing things that were positive things from your old life can be helpful. However, as you have already noted, this was not one of those things. Avoiding noise, crowds, and especially alcohol is recommended during recovery. The noise and crowds is just too much sensory input, and alcohol attacks your body.

But do not fall into recriminations over the weekend you had. Just catalog it, and move on.

4 hours ago, Savannah said:

Its just this seems never ending and feels even worse now than two or three weeks ago. I really don't want to have to start taking these ADs again and I can't due to the heart issue but if things don't begin to improve or at least see light at the end of the tunnel I may have no choice. 

The suicidal thoughts came and went over the weekend and still do....that really is the lowest point in all this....when u feel at least if I was dead, this pain would be no more. 

Everyone is different but I wish someone could just give a timeline of how long it takes to feel relatively normal again...

These 2 threads will be very helpful to your thinking:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/13492-dealing-with-emotional-spirals/

Hang in there. Things will get better. I have to tell myself that every day - even on good days.

SJ

Thanks SJ...your doing well at 6 months...u have my admiration ...I'll say a prayer for u on ur recovery and hope you succeed....thanks for the links, they explain a lot....sorry to ask you, but for how long were u taking them and what dosage? 

A lot of posts I've read here have got it far worse so I should be grateful...

Thanks again...

Savannah..

58 minutes ago, Savannah said:

I'll say a prayer for u on ur recovery and hope you succeed

Prayers are always appreciated. We also have a prayer chain topic here on SA, so feel free to post there your prayer needs, your own prayers, and to read the prayers of others: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5849-lets-pray-for-one-another/&page=15

1 hour ago, Savannah said:

ur doing well at 6 months...u have my admiration

Thank you. I have some bad moments - like today I kept getting waves of anxiety - but I work my toolbox and make it through/ Today I relied heavily on prayer, walking, and even took an epsom salts bath.

A lot of posts I've read here have got it far worse so I should be grateful...

Some of the posts on here break my heart. So yes, being grateful is important.

but for how long were u taking them and what dosage? 

Check out my signature below for the basics, and there is a link there to my main thread. The first post gives a pretty good overview of my history, and this post here is more in-depth: 

But basically, I had 17 years of various meds, with the past several years being effexor 75mg/3-day and seroquel 50mg/3-day.

You should make a signature so people can easily see your med history. Often times, it can give somebody an insight to help you along your journey.

SJ

Thanks SJ.

I read through your story and I feel like I've nothing to complain about....you truly are a hero getting through 6 months after all that...

Keep going, as someone said to me a long time ago, "when your lost....keep going forward because eventually you'll come out on to the main road somewhere"...

I'm new to this forum and how the signature etc all works so I'll keep reading and learning and thanks again for all your help...keep going SJ....much appreciated....take care and god bless...

Hi,

I had my first window experience on Monday evening...36 hours ago...

I felt normal again and got so much done. I didn't want to go to bed...

I was foolish enough to think I was better again. 

Went to bed and the next morning everything was as bad as ever again.

Ive read through a lot of the waves and windows research on here.

But as everyone is different, how often does this occur? Do they become more frequent and last longer? Is this a good sign when this occurs? 

I was devastated when I woke up the next morning and felt worse again. 

Can anyone enlighten me with their experience of their waves and windows experience? 

Very much appreciated in advance...

Savannah...

On 28/06/2017 at 6:57 PM, bubble said:

Hello Savannah.

As you have probably seen, in your situation (-the heart issue) we suggest reinstating a very small dose of 0.5 or 1 mg Lexapro.

More to follow later :)

Bubble

Hi Bubble, just a quick question, I couldn't handle the withdrawal any longer and went to my doctor...she prescribed me 50mg of Zooloft as a way of tapering down. Apparently that's the equivalent of 5mg of Lexapro. 

Is this true or can you shed any light on it? 

I plan to stabilise on the 50mg and then taper down slowly afterwards.

Cold turkey was impossible even with a heart issue. 

Much appreciated....

Savannah...

• Moderator Emeritus

I have consulted other mods and hope you will hear from somebody shortly.

I can perfectly understand that CT was impossible to deal with. Unfortunately I had so many of them following my doctor's advice and when I would fall apart some time later ("my illness returned"), she would introduce a full dose of frequently different AD. Luckily I was always able to stabilize after a few months. This is my experience and I hope it will be the same for you although a lot of people experience problems when switching ADs.

I would like to see what other mods have to say about the dosage. 5 mg is the lowest available dose of Lexapro (although it seems everybody is immediately put on 10 mg and often at 20 mg). Typically the lowest dose of Zoloft prescribed is 50 mg which probably formed the basis of your doctor's decision although there are also 25 mg pills.

When did you start taking it or you haven't yet? Can you update your signature with this information? How did it affect your symptoms?

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks Bubble...

In fairness to the doctor, she did accept it was withdrawal symptoms more so than my original condition returning, when I explained what I was going through.

She told me shortly after I came out of hospital after having a pacemaker fitted, I should never have went cold turkey and tapered slowly on Zooloft which is less threatening to my heart condition. Even though it was never my decision to stop Lexapro immediately. 

She advised me of this when I first went to see her four weeks into the withdrawal of Lexapro. 

But at that time I was feeling fairly ok and thought things were manageable.

I was unable to function after 11 weeks cold turkey. It was affecting my work and other work colleagues were becoming concerned for my well being by the way I was behaving..staring into space and totally disengaged from everything and everyone.

Being at work was a distraction from sitting alone at home and while stressful, it was where I preferred to be. 

I only seen the doctor today and took one 50mg this afternoon. As yet there is no change to my symptoms and I'm not sure if being cold turkey 11 weeks will make the return to some kind of normality even harder.

My plan is to hopefully stabilise over the next week or so and in two or three months time if it's successful reduce to 25mg and then see how I get on.

The cold turkey withdrawal this past week or so was the closest I've been to hell in all my life. 

I just couldn't handle it any longer. 

Savannah...

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Savannah said:

Hi Bubble, just a quick question, I couldn't handle the withdrawal any longer and went to my doctor...she prescribed me 50mg of Zooloft as a way of tapering down. Apparently that's the equivalent of 5mg of Lexapro. 

Is this true or can you shed any light on it? 

Hi, Savannah.  While I think that may well be the correct "equivalency", I'd be a fan of advocating you try 25 mg of Zoloft to start.  The pills are scored and you could cut them in half. This for two reasons:

• the lower the dose you can stabilize on, the less you have to taper later
  • if you system has been sensitized, the lower dose will be less likely to trigger you

Just my thoughts.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks Bubble...

In fairness to the doctor, she did accept it was withdrawal symptoms more so than my original condition returning, when I explained what I was going through.

She told me shortly after I came out of hospital after having a pacemaker fitted, I should never have went cold turkey and tapered slowly on Zooloft which is less threatening to my heart condition. Even though it was never my decision to stop Lexapro immediately. 

She advised me of this when I first went to see her four weeks into the withdrawal of Lexapro. 

But at that time I was feeling fairly ok and thought things were manageable.

I was unable to function after 11 weeks cold turkey. It was affecting my work and other work colleagues were becoming concerned for my well being by the way I was behaving..staring into space and totally disengaged from everything and everyone.

Being at work was a distraction from sitting alone at home and while stressful, it was where I preferred to be. 

I only seen the doctor today and took one 50mg this afternoon. As yet there is no change to my symptoms and I'm not sure if being cold turkey 11 weeks will make the return to some kind of normality even harder.

My plan is to hopefully stabilise over the next week or so and in two or three months time if it's successful reduce to 25mg and then see how I get on.

The cold turkey withdrawal this past week or so was the closest I've been to hell in all my life. 

I just couldn't handle it any longer. 

Savannah...

19 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Hi, Savannah.  While I think that may well be the correct "equivalency", I'd be a fan of advocating you try 25 mg of Zoloft to start.  The pills are scored and you could cut them in half. This for two reasons:

• the lower the dose you can stabilize on, the less you have to taper later
  • if you system has been sensitized, the lower dose will be less likely to trigger you

Just my thoughts.

Best,

Andy

I was actually thinking about that myself as I noticed they look easy enough to cut in half.

Ill give it a go and see what happens. 

After taking just one today, I don't feel as bad as I have this past few days but I notice the side effects as well...nausea, stomach aches etc. 

Thanks for your reply Andy....very much appreciated...

Savannah.

• Administrator

Hello, Savannah.

Why did your doctor choose Zoloft? Prozac is usually what's substituted in withdrawal syndrome cases.

If you have a choice, if I were you, I might take perhaps 1mg Prozac rather than Zoloft.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Savannah: Nightmare escitalopram cold turkey withdrawal. Please help.
On 06/07/2017 at 7:17 AM, Altostrata said:

Hello, Savannah.

Why did your doctor choose Zoloft? Prozac is usually what's substituted in withdrawal syndrome cases.

If you have a choice, if I were you, I might take perhaps 1mg Prozac rather than Zoloft.

Sorry to ask Altostrata but from reading articles on here, is it too late for me to take the Zooloft as a way of trying to stabilise after being Lexapro free now 11 weeks?

I'm on day three and apart from sweating heavily during sleep, I feel somewhat worse.

I know it takes a while to see any effect but how long should I expect to wait to see any improvements? 

Its just I hope I've done the right thing as this is getting harder by the day...

Thansk 

Savannah.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not too late to try a very low dose, less than 50 mg. The reason for the low dose is so that you don't give your CNS (central nervous system) another shock only 11 weeks after the shock of cold-turkey cessation.

Do you want to ask your doctor to prescribe Prozac as Altostrata suggested? Or, do you prefer to work with what you've got, a scrip for Zoloft?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

15 minutes ago, scallywag said:

It's not too late to try a very low dose, less than 50 mg. The reason for the low dose is so that you don't give your CNS (central nervous system) another shock only 11 weeks after the shock of cold-turkey cessation.

Do you want to ask your doctor to prescribe Prozac as Altostrata suggested? Or, do you prefer to work with what you've got, a scrip for Zoloft?

Thanks Scallywag.

Im taking 25mg every evening, (I cut the 50mg in half). I will give it another few days ( a full week at that stage) and if there's no improvement I will ask the doctor for Prozac. Just reluctant now to start another AD after only three days on a different one. 

Is the night sweats a common thing when starting a new drug? 

I just want to see some improvement as each day seems to be gettting harder and harder. 

Is it normal to feel worse though before you feel better when starting an AD? 

Thanks 

Savannah

• Moderator Emeritus

You've started with Zoloft, don't worry about switching to Prozac now. 

Nausea and sweating can be side effects of medication.  How many days have you taken 25 mg Zoloft?

Here's an online version of the FDA patient information pamphlet, specifically the statements about side effects:

Drugs.com Zoloft Side Effects.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

1 minute ago, scallywag said:

You've started with Zoloft, don't worry about switching to Prozac now. 

Nausea and sweating can be side effects of medication.  How many days have you taken 25 mg Zoloft?

Here's an online version of the FDA patient information pamphlet, specifically the statements about side effects:

Drugs.com Zoloft Side Effects.

Thanks Scallywag,

I've taken my fourth tablet this evening before I go to bed. Just one (25g) every evening since I first got the prescription. 

The thing is, as I had a heart condition the doctor felt this was the safest AD to use. Which is maybe why she never mentioned Prozac.

I was originally on Lexapro and had to stop it because of the heart condition...I never realised cold turkey would have been such a journey into the abyss until this past few weeks. Which is why I'm using it now to try and stabilise myself.

Its very difficult to get an appointment now over the weekend and it'll be next Tuesday before I get to see her again so I may as well keep going on Sertraline (Zooloft) 

As long as it stabilises me soon I don't mind which one I take of the two. 

I can start a proper very slow tapering plan when I get stabilised first after a few months.

Its just I'm barely functioning at the minute and need to get some degree of normality back. 

As long as it works and doesn't take too long taking effect I'll be ok....for now anyway...

Thanks for all of your help, it's very much appreciated..

Savannah

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your signature to show that you started taking 25 mg Zoloft on July 3. Please be prepared for the fact that it might take many weeks to feel fully stabilized again.

How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing.

You'll probably experience small improvements along the way. Full stabilization is unlikely to happen within the first few weeks

Edited by scallywag

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks Scallywag...I've updated it now. 

I will be happy enough with small improvements along the way as long as it's working to stabilise eventually I can live with that. 

Was just afraid I had left it too late and had made a bad situation even worse...

Thanks....Savannah

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, ShakeyJerr said:

Also, I drink an "adrenal cocktail" twice a day:

- take 4 ounces of citrus juice (orange juice is recommended) and mix in 1/2-teaspoon of cream of tartar and 1/2-teaspoon of sea salt (NOT table salt). Drink this an hour before (or after) eating.

SJ

A warning for the "Adrenal Cocktail" for those with health issues:

If you are healthy, cream of tartar (aka potassium tartarate) at 1 tsp/day total = 500mg (1/2 tsp 2x/day) with OJ should provide no harm at all. Daily amount needed 3400mg.
Those suffering from Addison’s disease, diabetes, acute renal failure, are on dialysis, or for those undergoing treatments that prevent the excretion of potassium from the body through urine should not use cream of tartar.  If you suffer from any cardiac, kidney, or electrolyte issues, or suffer from severe low blood pressure, or multiple health conditions you are medicated for, you should consult with your doctor/HCP before adding extra potassium bitartrate to your daily diet. When speaking to your HCP, please give both names: cream of tartar, & potassium bitartrate.

Edited by Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• Moderator Emeritus

Savannah, How are you doing now, 2 weeks since you last posted?

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Scallywag and thank you for asking.

Still not in a good place but a little better than where I was two weeks ago.

Its very tough. Mornings until late afternoon are still very bad but at night time it lessens a bit.

I have good days and bad days but still a long way from feeling normal or stabilised.

Took a week off work as it was just too difficult for the time being. The thing is when your not at work you have less to distract you or occupy your mind which isn't a good thing either.

This is day 16 of reinstating the Sertraline so I'm hoping it kicks in pretty soon.

I didn't look at the discussion forums in a while as i just wanted to try to clear my head and take each day as it comes.

My doctor wanted me to increase my pill strength as he thought 25mg wasn't enough but so far I have resisted. Like most doctors he thinks it's just the depression returning rather than withdrawal symptoms. And the shock to my system of having a permanent pacemaker fitted. 

Its exactly 3 months since I last took my 20mg of Escitolapram and even allowing for the cold turkey side effects, he thinks the withdrawal symptoms should be long gone.

Thanks again Scallywag for your comments and any words of hope or encouragement are greatly appreciated...

Thanks Savannah.

• Moderator Emeritus

Savannah,

Some people do have a limited period of symptoms, around 3 months. Sadly there are many who have symptoms that last for longer, a fact that pharmaceutical manufacturers do their best to deny.  It couldn't possibly be their product, it has to be the person taking the drug not the drug itself! :o

Sorry that you, like the rest of us here, didn't land in that first group -- only 3 months of manageable symptoms. Wouldn't that have been a nice genetic lottery to win?

scallywag's Introduction