Baz66: Delayed onset withdrawal nightmares venlafaxine

Baz66

Hi all, my names Barry I'm a 50 year old male from the UK and recently found this forum via google, like a lot of people if only it was sooner ,

diagnosed with depression/ anxiety 2005 and started on citalopram can't remember the dose and was on that for about 5 years with not much improvement then doctor switched me to venlafaxine gradually increasing dose to 300mg per day which I was on for about 7 years , on reflection I guess they helped but I was still depressed so decided to try coming off them which I did over a four month period ( I now know  this was way to fast) gradually reducing the dose, that was 3 months ago and all was good to start I felt much better than I had for years until now , after reading this forum I have what I believe is delayed onset withdrawal , I have very very low mood, very bad anxiety which I've not really had before, panic attacks and constant feeling of fear, no motivation etc,I know I don't need to say how debilitating this is but anxiety was never a major problem for me until now, went back to GP he has put me on 50mg of sertraline p/d and 2mg of diazepam 3 times daily I only use this when I have to though, I have taken the sertraline for two days then after finding this forum stopped and last night took 25mg of venlafaxine ( not sure if this is the correct amount) starting a reinstating program with the hope it helps the withdrawal as I can't cope with it. I would be very great full for dose advice on reinstating please plus anything else I can do or take.

I have to say a big thank you to everyone involved in the forum its been a great help to me and a wealth of information, and finding out  what's going on in my head and I'm not alone.

diagnosed with depression/ anxiety 2005 and started on citalopram can't remember the dose and was on that for about 5 years with not much improvement then doctor switched me to venlafaxine gradually increasing dose to 300mg per day which I was on for about 7 years ,  decided to try coming off them which I did over a four month period ( i now know  this was way to fast) gradually reducing the dose to 12.5mg 1 pill, that was 3 months ago and all was good to start I felt much better than I had for years until now , after reading this forum I have what I believe is delayed onset withdrawal ,  went back to GP he has put me on 50mg of sertraline p/d and 2mg of diazepam 3 times daily I only use this when I have to , I have taken the sertraline for two days then after finding this forum stopped and last night took 25mg of venlafaxine ( not sure if this is the correct amount) starting a reinstating program .

I was taking 5HTP, Rhodiola,1 Tyrosine, L theanine but have stopped after reading the forum, ?

I also take, magnesium 100mg p/d, flaxseed oil 2000mg p/d vit D3 10ug p/d

Glucosamine/ chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, turmeric, apple cider vinegar

Plus I run 5 iu's of HGH p/d for tennis elbow.

• KarenB changed the title to Baz66: Delayed onset withdrawal nightmares venlafaxine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Barry - welcome to SA,

Sounds like you've done lots of reading already - great!  I am also tapering off venlafaxine, and what a gnarly one it is.  However, it can be done.  Slowly, slowly...

Delayed onset withdrawal sounds about right.  After 3 months off we'd have recommended a smaller amount (perhaps 2-5mg) to reinstate than 25mg, but you can still adjust this if necessary.  What was your jumping-off dose(this can also go in your signature)? 

For future reference, when you are good and stabilised again, we recommend a gentle taper, reducing by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  This allows your brain time to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal.  

The troublesome thing with SSRIs is that you can't just flush their effects out of your system.  They change the way your brain works, and that takes much longer to heal.  Suddenly stopping the drug puts your brain and Central Nervous System into shock.  It's like yanking a trellis out of a garden instead of gently untangling the plants and slowly removing the wood – it’s too much trauma for the plants/your brain.  (For the source of that simile, plus further discussion, see http://survivinganti...el-your-brain/)

Many people find Fish oil useful during withdrawal, and I note you are already taking magnesium which is good. 

Melt into your own life

Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. With time and good care, you will be able to one day be off this drug. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply and advice,

I have added my jumping of dose to my signature which was 12.5mg one small pill from the capsule,

yes I've done a bit of reading and still doing so and learning,

couple of question if I may please,

should I drop my reinstating dose then ?

and do I then gradually increase it, if so to what ?

is there a guide to how long it will take to help withdrawal symptoms ?

I do appreciate its a personal thing and every one is different and its a bit of a grey area,

Thank you for your help

cheers Barry

diagnosed with depression/ anxiety 2005 and started on citalopram can't remember the dose and was on that for about 5 years with not much improvement then doctor switched me to venlafaxine gradually increasing dose to 300mg per day which I was on for about 7 years ,  decided to try coming off them which I did over a four month period ( i now know  this was way to fast) gradually reducing the dose to 12.5mg 1 pill, that was 3 months ago and all was good to start I felt much better than I had for years until now , after reading this forum I have what I believe is delayed onset withdrawal ,  went back to GP he has put me on 50mg of sertraline p/d and 2mg of diazepam 3 times daily I only use this when I have to , I have taken the sertraline for two days then after finding this forum stopped and last night took 25mg of venlafaxine ( not sure if this is the correct amount) starting a reinstating program .

I was taking 5HTP, Rhodiola,1 Tyrosine, L theanine but have stopped after reading the forum, ?

Down day today :( bad anxiety all day and emotional compared to yesterday I know its a slow process but I guess we all hope for this nightmare to end ASAP,

keep reading posts and looking for information to try and help myself but must accept there's no quick fix.

cheers Barry

• Moderator Emeritus

After jumping off from 12.5mg 3 months ago, I'd suggest trying a reinstatement of 2mg.  Then wait about a week, recording symptoms, and see what happens.  If you get some (even very small) improvements, then wait further to see if you get more improvements.  You may not need to increase the dose any more than that. 

It can take a few weeks or months for a reasonable level of stability to happen. You can read this thread to get some idea of others' experiences:  reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

Sorry I took so long to reply - I was away this weekend.  I hope you feel a bit better tomorrow.  It may be that that 25mg was just way too much after all.

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply and advice, that's given me a starting point,

I wondered about adding an anti histamine to try to control Cortisol what do you think please ?

No problem about the delayed reply hope you had a nice time and it kept your mind occupied

cheers Barry

• Moderator Emeritus

We don't recommend antihistamines generally as they can cause a bit of havoc in a destabilised system.  antihistamines

I had a lovely weekend - took my daughters to play soccer in another city, and we stayed with a good friend of mine.  Had a gentle stroll through a redwood forest, a soak in a spa, and then home again.  Tiring, but a good connected-up time with my girls. 

8 month hold.