Jeanny44

Jeanny44: Effexor Protracted Withdrawal

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's the same question, which goes on and n in my head. cause the symtoms are a nightmare. I was on Effexor for 9 years and got off last year by 37,5 mg to 0, cause psychiatrists said this is save. It was not. I went in protracted withdrawal. It's 1 year now since i'm off and the symptoms got more worse with every month. I wish i'd never taken this drug. I researched alot already and found out, that so many others suffer from that even years after coming off. That scares me and makes me so sad.

Edited by scallywag
split from PAWS topic in Symptoms

Posted (edited)

Hi Jeanny -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question. It was originally in the Protracted withdrawl or PAWS topic.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

As you know there are many people dealing with symptoms from the same cause -- antidepressant withdrawal. Effexor is one of the drugs that seems to cause more withdrawal problems than others. The good news is that people do recover. You will too.

Have you looked at what people have written in our Success Stories forum?

You'll find people discussing symptoms and what works to cope with them in the symptoms forum.  To start you off, here's a topic with links to some of the most frequently mentioned symptoms:

Important topics about symptoms including sleep problems.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

Thank you for posting a signature that shows your medication and discontinuation history.  Have a look around the site. If you have questions about your situation, please post them in this topic so that all your information stays in one place.

Edited by scallywag

Hi Jeanny -

As a fellow Effexor survivor, my heart goes out to you. But be assured, you will heal.

There is a lot of great information on this site, a lot of practical support as well as emotional and spiritual support. I already know from your post in the prayer thread what you are doing on the spiritual side of things.

What are some of the practical things you are doing to help your recovery? What are your eating habits like? Taking any supplements? What are your daily activities like?

Let's see where you are at, and we can begin to build you a toolkit for coping with symptoms and moving your recovery along.

SJ

51 minutes ago, ShakeyJerr said:

Hi Jeanny -

As a fellow Effexor survivor, my heart goes out to you. But be assured, you will heal.

There is a lot of great information on this site, a lot of practical support as well as emotional and spiritual support. I already know from your post in the prayer thread what you are doing on the spiritual side of things.

What are some of the practical things you are doing to help your recovery? What are your eating habits like? Taking any supplements? What are your daily activities like?

Let's see where you are at, and we can begin to build you a toolkit for coping with symptoms and moving your recovery along.

SJ

Hello Shakey Jerr

It's so hard right now. I often ask,how i can survive this. I already found alot of informations. But snce i'm so weak, i can't be really active. I do meditate to get calmed. And i take magnesium snce a few weeks...not any results as i can say for now. My apetite is completely gone. So i need to eat what i can. But fruits and some veggies are involved. Mostly i lay on the couch. I#d like to be active to not think about my symptoms all the time. Yesterday i took 4 beads of Effexor. I thought about a reinstating with 1 mg, cause i'm desperate But now i'm afraid to continue with that. 

Are you in protracted withdrawal aswell? What symptoms do you have?

9 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

It's so hard right now. I often ask,how i can survive this

You survive this with God's help and the support of friends here. And by doing things that are good for your body, mind, and spirit.

10 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

But snce i'm so weak, i can't be really active.

Perhaps start with very short walks. Pray while you walk. Enjoy God's creation.

11 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

I do meditate to get calmed

Great! Keep it up!

11 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

And i take magnesium snce a few weeks...not any results as i can say for now.

What type, how much, and at what time(s)?

12 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

now. My apetite is completely gone.

Very common in withdrawal. It will rebuild.

But fruits and some veggies are involved.

Good start! Try to clean up your diet as much as possible. Avoid pasta, white rice, white bread, sugar, sweets - any simple carb is not good for you right now. And no caffeine!

Add protein sources - chicken, beef, fish, even pork. 

14 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Mostly i lay on the couch.

Find ways to fill your time. Play card games, watch some easy going TV (stay away from news, talk shows, and intense dramas). Read the Bible.

15 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

I#d like to be active to not think about my symptoms all the time.

That is a tough one! We all have that problem. One of the things you can do - and this is key to healing your limbic system, where your cortisol and adrenaline work to raise anxiety and harm your mood - is fill your mind with good memories and make as many new good ones through new experiences as possible. For more on that, see the thread about the Limbic System: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/15276-healing-the-limbic-system/

18 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Yesterday i took 4 beads of Effexor. I thought about a reinstating with 1 mg, cause i'm desperate But now i'm afraid to continue with that. 

I have zero experience in this, but there is a main thread for that, and the mods can help you more with it. Here is the thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

19 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Are you in protracted withdrawal aswell? What symptoms do you have?

I am about 6 months in. The whole tale is on my intro thread. I have had waves, and I am actually in a window that started a few days ago. (Are you familiar with the Windows and Waves Pattern? If not, see: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

My main symptom has been anxiety and ruminating thoughts.

There are a lot of thread links in this message. Do not try to digest them all at once. Go slowly and if you find yourself getting upset, definitely take a break. But there is a lot of goodness to be found here.

I want to add one thing: Do some mindful breathing, especially when your symptoms spike. Mindful breathing is deep, slow breathing through your nose into your belly, and out through your mouth. No gasping, no upper-chest breathing. Slow, deep, steady.

Be well, keep in touch, feel free to vent, and ask any questions you want.

SJ

Thank you for your answer. i don't know how to quote parts of your answer, sorry for that. 

Even walks are not possible right now. My legs are extreme weak and the muscles in my thighs feel strange, like super sensitive and tight. Also there's a feeling like electrical power in the whole legs. I think these are the nerves.

I take magnesium citrate. I wanted to get my magnesium level igher with that and hoped it helps against te weakness and to relax the muscles. I started wit 150 mg, got higer after a few days to 300 mg and take 600 mg now since almost 2 weeks. I splt it to 4 times 150 mg te day. 

Te apetite and feeling of unger is gone since 8 monts already. i wonder if that will ever come back. Also tat i can't look correctly, scares me. it's not blurred. Moving pictures are to fast and i can read nly one word after the other. Light is also a problem. and when i look at white things, like a blanket, i see floatings. Also there's always a pressure in my head.

I don't use sugar anymore, drank only a very light coffee after getting up, but not today.well, i do smoke. I know it's not good. But i can't quit in tat situation now.

I was afraid to take the drug again today. So i didn't. I don't want it in my system. But often i'm really desperate about the symptoms.

I know about te waves and windows from others and from my research. Sadly i didn't have windows yet. The symtoms are permanent and got worse the last months.

Tank you so much for your support. It feels good, wen sombody is there to listen.

5 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

my thighs feel strange, like super sensitive and tight

I am experiencing the same thing. My son has his degree in exercise physiology. He recommends very gentle stretching and moist heat to help loosen the thighs. 

6 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Also there's a feeling like electrical power in the whole legs. I think these are the nerves.

Very common in withdrawal. Your central nervous system is sending false signals to your nerve endings. You need to send the right signals. If walking is difficult right now, try the old bicycle motion they taught us in physical education class. Lie on your back, bring your legs up at the knees, and use them to make a circular motion like you were peddling a bike. Slow and steady.

9 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

I take magnesium citrate. I wanted to get my magnesium level igher with that and hoped it helps against te weakness and to relax the muscles. I started wit 150 mg, got higer after a few days to 300 mg and take 600 mg now since almost 2 weeks. I splt it to 4 times 150 mg te day. 

Magnesium-citrate can actually increase anxiety. Try magnesium-glycinate - it's easier to absorb and the glycine is helpful for anxiety as well. Also, you increased your doses way too fast. Try a small dose - 100mg max - to start and give it two weeks before slowly going up.

I was afraid to take the drug again today. So i didn't. I don't want it in my system. But often i'm really desperate about the symptoms.

Do not go on and off and on and off. Pick a plan and stick with it. You have been off for a long time now, so re-instating with effexor might not be the best idea anyway.

Work your mindful breathing. Keep your diet as clean as possible. Make the switch on the magnesium. And build in good thoughts as much as possible. Contact old friends who can fill you with good memories.

You will heal.

SJ

Thank you for the advices. 

With the magnesium i don't ave any problems, just wondering, if it will help my muscles in any way. I don't get anxiety from it. 

The bycicle motion is a good idea. I hope it can help my nerves.

Jeanny

Hi Jeanny,

My name is Alex and i feel horrible as well. I came off 150 mg of Effexor xr. I started feeling worse and worse like you did to. You where only on 25 mg? Its baffles me how such a low dose can affect us. I am 26 years old and want us to feel how we used to feel. 

I have alot of symptoms since i got off Effexor/ Venlafaxine. I have weak muscles, no hunger, always pressure in my head and vision problems. When i close my eyes, they move alot. I can't see correctly anymore, as if parts from what i see are not arriving my brain. Now i also noticed, that i don't have any emotions. One of my rabbits is very sik and will probably die the next days. I do love her, but actually i do feel nothing. No sadness, no love, just nothing. I have the fear, that my brain is slowly getting off normal functions. Usually i'm very sensitive and emotional. Does anyone have the same symptoms as i have? Do they pass? I'm really scared. 

Edited by scallywag
merged topic

Jeanny, are you currently taking NO venlafaxine (Effexor)?  Please edit your signature so that your current dose is clearly stated.

1 hour ago, Jeanny44 said:

I have alot of symptoms since i got off Effexor/ Venlafaxine. I have weak muscles, no hunger, always pressure in my head and vision problems. When i close my eyes, they move alot. I can't see correctly anymore, as if parts from what i see are not arriving my brain. Now i also noticed, that i don't have any emotions. One of my rabbits is very sik and will probably die the next days. I do love her, but actually i do feel nothing. No sadness, no love, just nothing. I have the fear, that my brain is slowly getting off normal functions. Usually i'm very sensitive and emotional. Does anyone have the same symptoms as i have? Do they pass? I'm really scared. 

Jeanny, many people experience muscle pain, stiffness, weakness as withdrawal symptoms. Have a look at the list of symptoms in this topic:

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list. -- links to download Word and Excel files are in the first post.

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question and so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

Edited by scallywag

Jenny: sorry to hear you are suffering and sorry to hear about your rabbit. You will get your emotions back in time. 

Thinking of you, 

m

On 14.7.2017 at 2:35 AM, Woodhull said:

Hi Jeanny,

My name is Alex and i feel horrible as well. I came off 150 mg of Effexor xr. I started feeling worse and worse like you did to. You where only on 25 mg? Its baffles me how such a low dose can affect us. I am 26 years old and want us to feel how we used to feel. 

Hi Alex,

That was a high dose to get off of the drug. Gladly you were able to reinstate. Did it help you? I stopped wit 37,5 mg. At first everything was fine. Then the symptoms started. But i thought, they'll pass by after a few weeks. Well they didn't They got worse and i feel horrible. But reinstating, what i tried in my may didn't work anymore. So i stick in the symptoms now and hope i will heal.

Sorry for my late reply. I did read it right now.

On 16.7.2017 at 2:41 AM, Madeleine said:

Jenny: sorry to hear you are suffering and sorry to hear about your rabbit. You will get your emotions back in time. 

Thinking of you, 

m

Thank you for your kind answer Madeleine.