SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jeanny44: Effexor Protracted Withdrawal

Jeanny44

It's the same question, which goes on and n in my head. cause the symtoms are a nightmare. I was on Effexor for 9 years and got off last year by 37,5 mg to 0, cause psychiatrists said this is save. It was not. I went in protracted withdrawal. It's 1 year now since i'm off and the symptoms got more worse with every month. I wish i'd never taken this drug. I researched alot already and found out, that so many others suffer from that even years after coming off. That scares me and makes me so sad.

Edited by scallywag
split from PAWS topic in Symptoms

Taken Effexor/ Venlafaxine from 2007 - 2016

Came off with 37,5 mg in July 2016 by the advice of 2 psychiatrist, that this is save

Protracted withdrawal began in october with loss of hunger and apetite,

closed psychiatry August - Septembre 2017

Duloxetin 2 week, Sertraline then 5 weeks, quit on my own at home at 25mg, during the whole time was given Lorazepam 8quit in hospital too fast, dunno the dosages of the other meds, 

Symptoms: dizziness, balance issues, loss of hunger and apetite, pressure in head, tinitus, swayinglike feeling in the brain, tingleing and buzzering, nausea, feeling of a sore stomach and gut,  cognitive issues, can't talk much nor listen, very sensitive to noises and movements, agitation, fast constipation, tunnellike vision ( can't get the whole picture for example by reading, i can only see one word, pictures in tv are to fast), weakness in legs and arms, feeling my nerves with tingleing and a weird feeling in my thighs til my feet, low bp: around 100/ 60, high heartrate: in rest around 100, like 150 - 160 when I get up, pulse gets already up when I just turn around in bed, can hear the pulse in my left ear, can't leave the house, symptoms got worse with every month

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jeanny -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question. It was originally in the Protracted withdrawl or PAWS topic.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

As you know there are many people dealing with symptoms from the same cause -- antidepressant withdrawal. Effexor is one of the drugs that seems to cause more withdrawal problems than others. The good news is that people do recover. You will too.

Have you looked at what people have written in our Success Stories forum?

You'll find people discussing symptoms and what works to cope with them in the symptoms forum.  To start you off, here's a topic with links to some of the most frequently mentioned symptoms:

Important topics about symptoms including sleep problems.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

Thank you for posting a signature that shows your medication and discontinuation history.  Have a look around the site. If you have questions about your situation, please post them in this topic so that all your information stays in one place.

Edited by scallywag

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Jeanny -

As a fellow Effexor survivor, my heart goes out to you. But be assured, you will heal.

There is a lot of great information on this site, a lot of practical support as well as emotional and spiritual support. I already know from your post in the prayer thread what you are doing on the spiritual side of things.

What are some of the practical things you are doing to help your recovery? What are your eating habits like? Taking any supplements? What are your daily activities like?

Let's see where you are at, and we can begin to build you a toolkit for coping with symptoms and moving your recovery along.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

51 minutes ago, ShakeyJerr said:

Hi Jeanny -

As a fellow Effexor survivor, my heart goes out to you. But be assured, you will heal.

There is a lot of great information on this site, a lot of practical support as well as emotional and spiritual support. I already know from your post in the prayer thread what you are doing on the spiritual side of things.

What are some of the practical things you are doing to help your recovery? What are your eating habits like? Taking any supplements? What are your daily activities like?

Let's see where you are at, and we can begin to build you a toolkit for coping with symptoms and moving your recovery along.

SJ

Hello Shakey Jerr

It's so hard right now. I often ask,how i can survive this. I already found alot of informations. But snce i'm so weak, i can't be really active. I do meditate to get calmed. And i take magnesium snce a few weeks...not any results as i can say for now. My apetite is completely gone. So i need to eat what i can. But fruits and some veggies are involved. Mostly i lay on the couch. I#d like to be active to not think about my symptoms all the time. Yesterday i took 4 beads of Effexor. I thought about a reinstating with 1 mg, cause i'm desperate But now i'm afraid to continue with that. 

Are you in protracted withdrawal aswell? What symptoms do you have?

Came off with 37,5 mg in July 2016 by the advice of 2 psychiatrist, that this is save

Duloxetin 2 week, Sertraline then 5 weeks, quit on my own at home at 25mg, during the whole time was given Lorazepam 8quit in hospital too fast, dunno the dosages of the other meds, 

Symptoms: dizziness, balance issues, loss of hunger and apetite, pressure in head, tinitus, swayinglike feeling in the brain, tingleing and buzzering, nausea, feeling of a sore stomach and gut,  cognitive issues, can't talk much nor listen, very sensitive to noises and movements, agitation, fast constipation, tunnellike vision ( can't get the whole picture for example by reading, i can only see one word, pictures in tv are to fast), weakness in legs and arms, feeling my nerves with tingleing and a weird feeling in my thighs til my feet, low bp: around 100/ 60, high heartrate: in rest around 100, like 150 - 160 when I get up, pulse gets already up when I just turn around in bed, can hear the pulse in my left ear, can't leave the house, symptoms got worse with every month

9 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

It's so hard right now. I often ask,how i can survive this

You survive this with God's help and the support of friends here. And by doing things that are good for your body, mind, and spirit.

10 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

But snce i'm so weak, i can't be really active.

Perhaps start with very short walks. Pray while you walk. Enjoy God's creation.

11 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

I do meditate to get calmed

Great! Keep it up!

11 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

And i take magnesium snce a few weeks...not any results as i can say for now.

What type, how much, and at what time(s)?

12 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

now. My apetite is completely gone.

Very common in withdrawal. It will rebuild.

But fruits and some veggies are involved.

Good start! Try to clean up your diet as much as possible. Avoid pasta, white rice, white bread, sugar, sweets - any simple carb is not good for you right now. And no caffeine!

Add protein sources - chicken, beef, fish, even pork. 

14 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Mostly i lay on the couch.

Find ways to fill your time. Play card games, watch some easy going TV (stay away from news, talk shows, and intense dramas). Read the Bible.

15 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

I#d like to be active to not think about my symptoms all the time.

That is a tough one! We all have that problem. One of the things you can do - and this is key to healing your limbic system, where your cortisol and adrenaline work to raise anxiety and harm your mood - is fill your mind with good memories and make as many new good ones through new experiences as possible. For more on that, see the thread about the Limbic System: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/15276-healing-the-limbic-system/

18 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Yesterday i took 4 beads of Effexor. I thought about a reinstating with 1 mg, cause i'm desperate But now i'm afraid to continue with that. 

I have zero experience in this, but there is a main thread for that, and the mods can help you more with it. Here is the thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

19 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Are you in protracted withdrawal aswell? What symptoms do you have?

I am about 6 months in. The whole tale is on my intro thread. I have had waves, and I am actually in a window that started a few days ago. (Are you familiar with the Windows and Waves Pattern? If not, see: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

My main symptom has been anxiety and ruminating thoughts.

There are a lot of thread links in this message. Do not try to digest them all at once. Go slowly and if you find yourself getting upset, definitely take a break. But there is a lot of goodness to be found here.

I want to add one thing: Do some mindful breathing, especially when your symptoms spike. Mindful breathing is deep, slow breathing through your nose into your belly, and out through your mouth. No gasping, no upper-chest breathing. Slow, deep, steady.

Be well, keep in touch, feel free to vent, and ask any questions you want.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Thank you for your answer. i don't know how to quote parts of your answer, sorry for that. 

Even walks are not possible right now. My legs are extreme weak and the muscles in my thighs feel strange, like super sensitive and tight. Also there's a feeling like electrical power in the whole legs. I think these are the nerves.

I take magnesium citrate. I wanted to get my magnesium level igher with that and hoped it helps against te weakness and to relax the muscles. I started wit 150 mg, got higer after a few days to 300 mg and take 600 mg now since almost 2 weeks. I splt it to 4 times 150 mg te day. 

Te apetite and feeling of unger is gone since 8 monts already. i wonder if that will ever come back. Also tat i can't look correctly, scares me. it's not blurred. Moving pictures are to fast and i can read nly one word after the other. Light is also a problem. and when i look at white things, like a blanket, i see floatings. Also there's always a pressure in my head.

I don't use sugar anymore, drank only a very light coffee after getting up, but not today.well, i do smoke. I know it's not good. But i can't quit in tat situation now.

I was afraid to take the drug again today. So i didn't. I don't want it in my system. But often i'm really desperate about the symptoms.

I know about te waves and windows from others and from my research. Sadly i didn't have windows yet. The symtoms are permanent and got worse the last months.

Tank you so much for your support. It feels good, wen sombody is there to listen.

5 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

my thighs feel strange, like super sensitive and tight

I am experiencing the same thing. My son has his degree in exercise physiology. He recommends very gentle stretching and moist heat to help loosen the thighs. 

6 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

Also there's a feeling like electrical power in the whole legs. I think these are the nerves.

Very common in withdrawal. Your central nervous system is sending false signals to your nerve endings. You need to send the right signals. If walking is difficult right now, try the old bicycle motion they taught us in physical education class. Lie on your back, bring your legs up at the knees, and use them to make a circular motion like you were peddling a bike. Slow and steady.

9 minutes ago, Jeanny44 said:

I take magnesium citrate. I wanted to get my magnesium level igher with that and hoped it helps against te weakness and to relax the muscles. I started wit 150 mg, got higer after a few days to 300 mg and take 600 mg now since almost 2 weeks. I splt it to 4 times 150 mg te day. 

Magnesium-citrate can actually increase anxiety. Try magnesium-glycinate - it's easier to absorb and the glycine is helpful for anxiety as well. Also, you increased your doses way too fast. Try a small dose - 100mg max - to start and give it two weeks before slowly going up.

I was afraid to take the drug again today. So i didn't. I don't want it in my system. But often i'm really desperate about the symptoms.

Do not go on and off and on and off. Pick a plan and stick with it. You have been off for a long time now, so re-instating with effexor might not be the best idea anyway.

Work your mindful breathing. Keep your diet as clean as possible. Make the switch on the magnesium. And build in good thoughts as much as possible. Contact old friends who can fill you with good memories.

You will heal.

SJ

Thank you for the advices. 

With the magnesium i don't ave any problems, just wondering, if it will help my muscles in any way. I don't get anxiety from it. 

The bycicle motion is a good idea. I hope it can help my nerves.

Jeanny

Hi Jeanny,

My name is Alex and i feel horrible as well. I came off 150 mg of Effexor xr. I started feeling worse and worse like you did to. You where only on 25 mg? Its baffles me how such a low dose can affect us. I am 26 years old and want us to feel how we used to feel. 

150 mg Effexor xr for 2 years. (2015-2017)

Tapered to zero (04/2017-05/2017)

Was off effexor for about a month then the storm hit.

Reinstated 25 mg effexor (06/2017.

Last micro dose of Effexor on Nov 25 2017.

Been off Effexor for 11 months and still feeling AWEFUL. I feel DEAD.

I have alot of symptoms since i got off Effexor/ Venlafaxine. I have weak muscles, no hunger, always pressure in my head and vision problems. When i close my eyes, they move alot. I can't see correctly anymore, as if parts from what i see are not arriving my brain. Now i also noticed, that i don't have any emotions. One of my rabbits is very sik and will probably die the next days. I do love her, but actually i do feel nothing. No sadness, no love, just nothing. I have the fear, that my brain is slowly getting off normal functions. Usually i'm very sensitive and emotional. Does anyone have the same symptoms as i have? Do they pass? I'm really scared. 

Edited by scallywag
merged topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Jeanny, are you currently taking NO venlafaxine (Effexor)?  Please edit your signature so that your current dose is clearly stated.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Jeanny44 said:

I have alot of symptoms since i got off Effexor/ Venlafaxine. I have weak muscles, no hunger, always pressure in my head and vision problems. When i close my eyes, they move alot. I can't see correctly anymore, as if parts from what i see are not arriving my brain. Now i also noticed, that i don't have any emotions. One of my rabbits is very sik and will probably die the next days. I do love her, but actually i do feel nothing. No sadness, no love, just nothing. I have the fear, that my brain is slowly getting off normal functions. Usually i'm very sensitive and emotional. Does anyone have the same symptoms as i have? Do they pass? I'm really scared. 

Jeanny, many people experience muscle pain, stiffness, weakness as withdrawal symptoms. Have a look at the list of symptoms in this topic:

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list. -- links to download Word and Excel files are in the first post.

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your question and so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

Edited by scallywag

scallywag's Introduction

Jenny: sorry to hear you are suffering and sorry to hear about your rabbit. You will get your emotions back in time. 

Thinking of you, 

m

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

On 14.7.2017 at 2:35 AM, Woodhull said:

Hi Jeanny,

My name is Alex and i feel horrible as well. I came off 150 mg of Effexor xr. I started feeling worse and worse like you did to. You where only on 25 mg? Its baffles me how such a low dose can affect us. I am 26 years old and want us to feel how we used to feel. 

Hi Alex,

That was a high dose to get off of the drug. Gladly you were able to reinstate. Did it help you? I stopped wit 37,5 mg. At first everything was fine. Then the symptoms started. But i thought, they'll pass by after a few weeks. Well they didn't They got worse and i feel horrible. But reinstating, what i tried in my may didn't work anymore. So i stick in the symptoms now and hope i will heal.

Sorry for my late reply. I did read it right now.

On 16.7.2017 at 2:41 AM, Madeleine said:

Jenny: sorry to hear you are suffering and sorry to hear about your rabbit. You will get your emotions back in time. 

Thinking of you, 

m

Thank you for your kind answer Madeleine. 

As you can see in my signature, I'm suffering from many symptoms, which the withdrawal from Effexor brought to me. I know where they come from, but still, they do scare me so much. The weakness and the weird feelings in my legs together with the brain damage, what makes me dizzy, not being able to think clearly and gave me vision issues are my main problems. I want to connect with people, which has these symptoms aswell. Did you do anything to make it better? Did they vanish or got better?

It's 1 year now since I'm off the drug. 

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone,

I was not here since a long time and sadly I can't say anything got better. I don't know what to do anymore and wonder if this will ever heal. I quit Effexor at 37,5 mg by advice of experts in the summer of 2016. I was fine a few months, then the symptoms bgan to hit me. I still cry every day cause the symptoms are so intense. In August last year, I did something and came in the closed psychiatry therfore, where docs forced me to take meds again. I've been there for 7 weeks. They started with Duloxetin (Copy of Cymbalta). Surprisingly that worked like over night. I was able to walk again, could think, laugh. I was 80 % myself again. Well now I know the weakness is not caused by my muscles, it's caused by the nerves not giving right signals. Otherwise the muscles would have been growed over night in the hospital. After 2 days the drug stopped working...I got nausea, heart racing and unregular heartbeat. That didn't catch the interest of the docs very much. Nobody could explain how a drug can work like this over night and then stop working. I'll probably never get an answer to this. They continued for two weeks, then stopped and changed to Sertraline. I got only worse. And to these drugs they gave me Tavor, I guess it's Lorazepam, but I'm not sure. This one they tapered way to fast when it was time to send me home. They wanted me in open therapy, but I told them I can't, not physically and not mentally. I got akathisia, but they said it's not he meds. I cried for help.

I got home with all symptoms back and more. I can't do anything much. The weakness is in all muscles, legs, feet, arms, back, neck, face, even in my throat. This scares me so much. I still have the electrical power feeling in my legs, buzzering, no hunger at all, my stomach is not making any noise or movement, low bp, high heartrate ( I think it's pots), dizziness, head pressure, swaying feeling in my head, feeling of movements on my head, vision issues (snow and focus), cognitive issues ( I can't talk much nor listen to a person), sensitivity to noises and movements, agitation (very bad), sleeping only a few hours, burning skin. I wish I could read a book, watch tv or do something to distract, but my brain is not letting me. And it's not that the symptoms change their intensity, they're constantly the whole day.

I never had any wndow yet and wonder if that will ever happen. Every day is pure torture. I'd like to hear from other sufferers, maybe with same symptoms and same drug, that this will get better. Of course I've heard that already. They told me I'll heal too. But why is nothing getting better? Why did I only got worse? I so need some relief. I so want to do things, want to love life. I can only think about this state and symptoms, even I wish I could think about something else. Why did I get weaker and weaker? I tried so many supplement already, none of them did anything. I know I sound desparate and that's what I am. What I need is hope.

Sounds tough for you Jeanny44!

Fast withdrawal seems to lead to a disaster for most.

Effexor - 2002 until today for me.  I have slowly tapered from 225mg 2 years ago to around 56mg today.  It has been OK most of the time.

I hope you can get back onto a stable platform to relaunch a slower taper next time.  I had a crash in 2006 or so.  See graphs at my intro thread.

Best wishes and gruss gott.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

4 hours ago, peng said:

Sounds tough for you Jeanny44!

Fast withdrawal seems to lead to a disaster for most.

Effexor - 2002 until today for me.  I have slowly tapered from 225mg 2 years ago to around 56mg today.  It has been OK most of the time.

I hope you can get back onto a stable platform to relaunch a slower taper next time.  I had a crash in 2006 or so.  See graphs at my intro thread.

Best wishes and gruss gott.

It definately is. Every second is a battle. Sadly I wont be able to taper again. I tried reinstating last year. Didn't work. I'm off all meds and in protracted withdrawal after a cold turkey.Taking another drug again is impossible. I'm glad that you can taper. If I#d have all the informatns I have now before, I'd do the same as you. Now I don't have a choise anymore.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Jeanny44 said:

Surprisingly that worked like over night. I was able to walk again, could think, laugh. I was 80 % myself again. Well now I know the weakness is not caused by my muscles, it's caused by the nerves not giving right signals. Otherwise the muscles would have been growed over night in the hospital. After 2 days the drug stopped working...I got nausea, heart racing and unregular heartbeat. That didn't catch the interest of the docs very much. Nobody could explain how a drug can work like this over night and then stop working.

Jeanny, I am sorry you did not ask us about this. When it works at first but then stops working, that indicates the dosage of the Cymbalta was too high for you. This is a very common mistake doctors make. People who have withdrawal symptoms have sensitized nervous systems and often can't tolerate a full dose of a drug. A very small amount of Cymbalta might have continued to help you.

Do you have any Cymbalta left?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

26 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Jeanny, I am sorry you did not ask us about this. When it works at first but then stops working, that indicates the dosage of the Cymbalta was too high for you. This is a very common mistake doctors make. People who have withdrawal symptoms have sensitized nervous systems and often can't tolerate a full dose of a drug. A very small amount of Cymbalta might have continued to help you.

Do you have any Cymbalta left?

Hello Altostrata,

Thank you for your reply. I couldn't ask before,bc they gave me this in closed psychiatry. I don't even know, what the dosage was. They didn't tell me. No I don't have any meds left. I came into the psychiatry with withdrawal syndrome from Effexor, I quit 1 year ago. A reinstatement with this drug didn't work. Had to quit after two days and was there bc I did something to myself. That was last year in August and Septembre. And I didn't take anything since then. The Cymbalta worked only two days. But it was given together with Tavor. I'd be afraid to take it again. Do you think it'd be a good idea to give it another try after 7 months? What would a small amount mean? It comes in the lowest dosage of 30 mg.

• Administrator

Did you start Tavor (lorazepam) with Cymbalta? Did you continue to take Tavor after you stopped Cymbalta?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

12 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Did you start Tavor (lorazepam) with Cymbalta? Did you continue to take Tavor after you stopped Cymbalta?

Yes, the Tavor was given together with Cymbalta and continued with Sertraline after two weeks for another 4 weeks. So I got Cymbalta 2 weeks, then Sertraline like 4 weeks, which I quit taking after coming home (the sideeffects were to worse) and all the 6 weeks I got tavor. They quit Tavor fast in the psychiatry.

On 13/07/2017 at 4:06 AM, Jeanny44 said:

Thank you for your answer. i don't know how to quote parts of your answer, sorry for that. 

Even walks are not possible right now. My legs are extreme weak and the muscles in my thighs feel strange, like super sensitive and tight. Also there's a feeling like electrical power in the whole legs. I think these are the nerves.

Te apetite and feeling of unger is gone since 8 monts already. i wonder if that will ever come back. Also tat i can't look correctly, scares me. it's not blurred. Moving pictures are to fast and i can read nly one word after the other. Light is also a problem. and when i look at white things, like a blanket, i see floatings. Also there's always a pressure in my head.

I don't use sugar anymore, drank only a very light coffee after getting up, but not today.well, i do smoke. I know it's not good. But i can't quit in tat situation now.

I know about te waves and windows from others and from my research. Sadly i didn't have windows yet. The symtoms are permanent and got worse the last months.

Tank you so much for your support. It feels good, wen sombody is there to listen.

I know exactly what you are going through . Eighteen months off Effexor and two and a half years off Valium and yes , windows and waves . I tell myself ‘hold on ‘ , just ‘hold on ‘ . The grim , bleak depression that settles during a wave is so debilitating and quite harrowing . Then just when I think how much more can I take of this , a window opens and the sky looks blue again . And I wonder why my wonderful old psychiatrist (83) won’t or doesn’t believe me or in the existence of waves and windows . Found myself smoking ferociously but unable to contemplate quitting . In a window right now and cigarettes have lost their allure . And I have no idea when this roller coaster will ever end . 

3 minutes ago, Lilac said:

I know exactly what you are going through . Eighteen months off Effexor and two and a half years off Valium and yes , windows and waves . I tell myself ‘hold on ‘ , just ‘hold on ‘ . The grim , bleak depression that settles during a wave is so debilitating and quite harrowing . Then just when I think how much more can I take of this , a window opens and the sky looks blue again . And I wonder why my wonderful old psychiatrist (83) won’t or doesn’t believe me or in the existence of waves and windows . Found myself smoking ferociously but unable to contemplate quitting . In a window right now and cigarettes have lost their allure . And I have no idea when this roller coaster will ever end . 

Hello Lilac,

I'm sorry you have to go through that too. Well, in my case, doctors sent me into cold turkey withdrawal at 37,5 mg of Effexor. I guess, you tapered? I never had any window, just got worse til now. I avoid caffeine and sugar as possible, take supplements, try to exercise some. 

Yes I tapered under medical supervision but went from 37.5 mg to nothing . During a wave I can be speaking to someone and suddenly fill up with tears . Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my life before . I know this is to do with protracted withdrawal and in spite of my assertions being ignored I am determined to push on . 

17 hours ago, Lilac said:

Yes I tapered under medical supervision but went from 37.5 mg to nothing . During a wave I can be speaking to someone and suddenly fill up with tears . Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my life before . I know this is to do with protracted withdrawal and in spite of my assertions being ignored I am determined to push on . 

37,5 mg is still a cold turkey. I can't be around people anymore. Gladly you're xpieriencing windows. I wish I would too

• Moderator Emeritus

Jeanny44,

Sorry you're feeling so bad.  We don't recommend many supplements but magnesium and omega-3 can be calming and helpful.  I use magnesium glycinate.

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Best,

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Just hang in there Jeanny . I am aware too that when I am experiencing rough waves which can and do seem endless my thoughts seem to race and collide . It can be overwhelming . Have never experienced this before . And intrusive thoughts - ugh ! One feels so alone . But you will make it . Three steps forward and two back . Hugs . 

It has been 21 months now since I quit Effexor at 37,5 mg. So this was a cold turkey. Severe symptoms started months later.  In August last year, doctors forced me on medications again for 7 weeks. I never had windows and am really very ill. Most success stories are about people, which had the luck to taper. So what will it be in my case? Did anybody hear or read about healed people after a cold turkey after long time use of a drug? I also heard, that Effexor is one of the most difficult. 

I'm really thinking of trying an reinstatment of Duloxetin. It was this one, which gave me relief for 2 days, then it stopped working. Altostrata said, she thinks the dosage they gave me was probably too high. I'm not sure about that, but I guess they gave me 30mg in the hospital. Now I'm not sure, if I get the Duloxetin from my doctor, what dosage I should try to reinstate. I did read something about beads. Would I take just the beads or would I need to put them into empty capsules? Another thing: I was in contact with a woman, that is also very sick from coming off Effexor as I am. She was given the advice to reinstate with 10 beads and so she did. She had relief for 10 days, then this stopped and symptoms came back worse. What did she do wrong? She said, she would have needed a higher dosage. I dunno why she din't increase it then or if it was not possible anymore.

Still I'm very aftraid about what will happen, when I do reinstate. But it seems I can't go on like this. I'm so very ill. I only cry for relief. I'd be grateful about advice and/ or expieriences in this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 2:50 PM, Jeanny44 said:

I'm really thinking of trying an reinstatment of Duloxetin. It was this one, which gave me relief for 2 days, then it stopped working. Altostrata said, she thinks the dosage they gave me was probably too high. I'm not sure about that, but I guess they gave me 30mg in the hospital. Now I'm not sure, if I get the Duloxetin from my doctor, what dosage I should try to reinstate. I did read something about beads. Would I take just the beads or would I need to put them into empty capsules? Another thing: I was in contact with a woman, that is also very sick from coming off Effexor as I am. She was given the advice to reinstate with 10 beads and so she did. She had relief for 10 days, then this stopped and symptoms came back worse. What did she do wrong? She said, she would have needed a higher dosage. I dunno why she din't increase it then or if it was not possible anymore.

Still I'm very aftraid about what will happen, when I do reinstate. But it seems I can't go on like this. I'm so very ill. I only cry for relief. I'd be grateful about advice and/ or expieriences in this.

Hi Jeanny,

I’m in the same boat with you and thinking about reinstating Effexor after stopping at 37.5 1.5 years ago. Suffering very badly. Bedridden. 

Did you reinstate a small amount?

Wishing you the best. 

Sheri

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

20 hours ago, Sheri755 said:

Hi Jeanny,

I’m in the same boat with you and thinking about reinstating Effexor after stopping at 37.5 1.5 years ago. Suffering very badly. Bedridden. 

Did you reinstate a small amount?

Wishing you the best. 

Sheri

I'm sorry to hear, that you suffer so badly. I didn't reinstate bc I did read so often, that it failed and made ppl worse. If that would happen in my case, it would definately be my end. I reinstated at the same dosage as I came off and reacted badly. 1 month later I tried like 4 beads, but did it only for 2 days. I was too scared. If there'd be only a garanty, that it would work. But there isn't. Do you also suffer from very weak muscles?