SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lolitaheb: Is the trileptal or risperdal still in my system?

Lolitaheb

So 2 and a half months ago i started taking trileptal because of bipolar, they never worked so my doctor decided to put me on risperdal, 1 mg at night and half in the morning, everything was great for a month, the risperdal was working but one day i started having dizziness and was feeling too tired, like i was high or something, i ended up going to the ER because i had so much anxiety and dizziness, i talked to my doctor and he told me to quit the risperdal cold turkey because those was probably causing me those symptoms, well its been 2 weeks today since i quit risperdal and im still feeling dizzy with a brain fog, i haven't had a clear mind in a while, i also quit trileptal a week ago because i started to think it was the trileptal, but nothing is improving, do i need to wait for a longer time? I hear a lot of people get better within a week of quitting the medication and others take days, but i still feel like im under the pills effects, am i going to have this brain fog for a while? When i say brain fog i mean like, i cant feel or see things too clear, things are not vivid around me, and my mind feels like is working very slow. Once again, i took risperdal for a month and trileptal for 2 months and a half, i forgot to mention that im always tired too. Could this be the mixture of both pills? Or could it be the risperdal?

Edited by mammaP
Added name to title

Took 600 mg of trileptal (2 pills) every night and 300 mg (1 pill) in the morning for almost 3 months

took 1 mg of risperdal at night and half pill in the morning for 1 month

these are the only 2 drugs i've ever taken.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LH, welcome to SA. Can I ask your age and why the doctors thought you have bi polar? .

Have you taken any pther psychiatric drugs in the past?

Often when someone has taken prescribed drugs they become sensitive to them and it is more difficult to stop them. The 2 drugs together have interactions that can cause dizziness.

Are you feeling any worse since quitting trileptal or the same as before?

Quitting cold turkey leads to withdrawal. 

Everyone is different, some recover quite quickly and others take longer. It takes time for the brain and nervous system to adjust back to normal after taking drugs and especially after quitting cold turkey. You were not taking them for very long so hopefully will start to improve soon. Withdrawal tends to go in windows and waves. You will get some days that are better than others ( windows ) Then there will be bad days (waves). You will get through the bad days and have to remember that they WILL pass.  You will get better and recover from this but it will take time.   You need to take good care of yourself, avoid caffeine and alcohol, (just until you are recovered) and eat fresh food whenever possible, avoiding processed food with additives. Keep hydrated and have a good sleep routine. All this will help your nervous system to heal. Your reactions to these drugs show that you are sensitive to psychiatric drugs.  Lots of us have been labeled with bi polar when we have had normal reactions to stress or adverse reactions to medications.  I will post some links to topics that will help you to understand about withdrawal. When you understand it is easier to cope with. 

First, we ask all our members to fill in their signature with their drug history. This makes it easier for us when replying to posts. You can find how to do that here....

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

What is withdrawal syndrome 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

Windows and waves

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

Many of us here find that fish oil and magnesium are helpful in withdarawal

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi, i don't think what i'm feeling is withdrawal, the only thing i feel is tiredness and dizziness which is the reason why i quit the drugs in the first place, they were making me feel like that, so i'm wondering if what im feeling is just the effects of the drugs instead of a withdrawal, i've never took  other drugs in the past, trileptal and risperdal were the only ones, i took them because i had a little depression and angry behavior due to living in a new state far from friends, family and not having a job, so the pills was going to be temporary anyway, im 29 by the way, i asked my doctor to quit them cold turkey because of the dizziness and he agreed telling me to try it and that if i felt very sick to start taking them again but at a lower dose, well at this point i don't see the reason for taking them again because i dont feel sick enough to do it, plus i came a long way without it and i'm not going back, the main thing i want is to get rid of this brain fog, i feel dopey and not much aware of my surroundings, i can deal with being tired, i just wish i can have a lucid mind again. 

Took 600 mg of trileptal (2 pills) every night and 300 mg (1 pill) in the morning for almost 3 months

• Moderator Emeritus

It looked like you had interactions between the 2 drugs  as seen here in the interactions checker. Sometimes there is withdrawal after stopping drugs which is very similar to the side effects. Bioth withdrawal and adverse reactions will settle in time. It is good that you don't feel sick enough to reinstate, the symptoms will lessen in time but sadly there is no time frame. Some recover sooner and others can take months but you WILL get better. Take each day as it comes and things will improve. Both withdrawal and adverse reactions destabilise the nervous system and it takes time to regain balance.  Fish oil helps with the brain fog and dizziness, it helps me a lot and many of us here take it regularly.  Keep us updated on your progress, I hope you start to feel better very soon. 

Interaction report

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2019-1305,1765-1129

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 3 weeks later...

Hello mammaP i wanted to ask if you know if is ok to use natural medicine to help with the brain fog, i was reading about a lady that got rid of her brain fog after using vinpocetine, it has great reviews on amazon and i think its natural, should i let the brain heal itself or is it ok to use these types of pills? I've been using fish oil for less than a month but i dont see any improvements, its been 5 weeks since i quit my drugs and the fog is still there.

I have a question, is it possible that psychiatrics lie about the drugs they perscribe? I had an appoitment today and i told him i've been off the drugs for 5 weeks and been feeling brain fog 24/7 and derealization, he told me it cant be the drugs because they would've been out my system by now, why is he trying to insinuate that is something else and not the drug? He even knows i stopped cold turkey.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:54 PM, mammaP said:

It looked like you had interactions between the 2 drugs  as seen here in the interactions checker. Sometimes there is withdrawal after stopping drugs which is very similar to the side effects. Bioth withdrawal and adverse reactions will settle in time. It is good that you don't feel sick enough to reinstate, the symptoms will lessen in time but sadly there is no time frame. Some recover sooner and others can take months but you WILL get better. Take each day as it comes and things will improve. Both withdrawal and adverse reactions destabilise the nervous system and it takes time to regain balance.  Fish oil helps with the brain fog and dizziness, it helps me a lot and many of us here take it regularly.  Keep us updated on your progress, I hope you start to feel better very soon. 

Interaction report

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2019-1305,1765-1129

Hello mammap have you ever had derealization from a drug? And if you did, how long did it last?

• Moderator Emeritus
On 09/08/2017 at 7:26 PM, Lolitaheb said:

Hello mammaP i wanted to ask if you know if is ok to use natural medicine to help with the brain fog, i was reading about a lady that got rid of her brain fog after using vinpocetine, it has great reviews on amazon and i think its natural, should i let the brain heal itself or is it ok to use these types of pills? I've been using fish oil for less than a month but i dont see any improvements, its been 5 weeks since i quit my drugs and the fog is still there.

You need to be very careful trying supplements, a lot of people react to them. How much fish oil do you take? You can increase the dose and see if it help. I take 4 1000iu capsules a day which helps me. Any less isn't as effective. 

I did have derealisation but can't remember how long it lasted. It was quite scary at the time because I didn't know what it was and there was no internet back then.It did pass but I can't remember much else except it was scary. I had ECT around the same rime, not recommended!  We have a topic on derealisation here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1766-derealization-or-depersonalization/?view=findpost&p=227577&hl=anhedonia

2002  effexor. 

16 minutes ago, mammaP said:

You need to be very careful trying supplements, a lot of people react to them. How much fish oil do you take? You can increase the dose and see if it help. I take 4 1000iu capsules a day which helps me. Any less isn't as effective. 

I did have derealisation but can't remember how long it lasted. It was quite scary at the time because I didn't know what it was and there was no internet back then.It did pass but I can't remember much else except it was scary. I had ECT around the same rime, not recommended!  We have a topic on derealisation here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1766-derealization-or-depersonalization/?view=findpost&p=227577&hl=anhedonia

I take 2 fish oil a day, but the problem is that it doesn't have a dosage on the bottle, the bottle is almost blank, so just to be safe i take 2, i also take multivitamin, what do you mean people react on them? What does it do? The pills are called 5-HTP is suppose to make your anxiety improve, your mood and depression, se people got a clear mind on it, but if it can kill me or make things worse then i dont think im going to take them

IMG_1977.PNG

• Moderator Emeritus

There is a topic on 5HTP here, it has the reported benefits and the warnings further down.  The problem with those of us suffering withdrawal is that our nervous systems are detsbilised. Our brains are working hard to regain normality. 5HTP affects the brain and for us that can be detrimental. It can take a long time to settle down again if there is a reaction. A reaction is what happens when something doesn't agree with us. I can't take sweeteners or anything with them because I feel dizzy and nauseous. The same with caffeine. I can't even take tylenol for a headache because it makes me sick, and on it goes because my nervous system is affected. 

Take a look before you decide to buy it, read the whole first post. The other posts are discussions from people who have tried it. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2017-08-11 at 3:51 PM, Lolitaheb said:

I have a question, is it possible that psychiatrics lie about the drugs they perscribe? I had an appoitment today and i told him i've been off the drugs for 5 weeks and been feeling brain fog 24/7 and derealization, he told me it cant be the drugs because they would've been out my system by now, why is he trying to insinuate that is something else and not the drug? He even knows i stopped cold turkey.

Lolita, the drugs themselves are virtually gone from your system after 5 weeks.   What many doctors don't understand is the fact that our CNS (central nervous system) starts to change itself after only a few doses of a psycho-neuro-active medication and continues to make changes to neurotransmitter receptor cells until it reaches a balance or homeostasis.  When we decrease dose of a drug, our CNS starts to undo those changes. When we stop cold-turkey, the CNS has to work very hard to undo the previous changes so receptors to match the current drug level. Here are two links that offer helpful explanations and analogies:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet