SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Waking up in a sweat, sweating, antidepressants, and withdrawal

emilie

(I didn't know were to post it in forum so i post it here) MOD NOTE: moved to Symptoms and Self Care

( i had panic attack in the past, while under medication so i just wanted to share this)

i have found that: 

for panic attack:

• https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9451583 

excessive sweat could cause alcalosis guiding to panic

• composition of sweat: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19855367 

the patients with active PD had significantly higher sweat levels of lactate, glucose, creatinine and magnesium than both the other groups which did not differ. Moreover, sweat concentrations of natrium, potassium and chlorine were significantly higher in active PD comparing to the group of PD patients in remission.

for antidepressant

• https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3931183/  -> sweat in excess

Antidepressant-induced excessive sweating (ADIES) is a common antidepressant-related side effect, and its prevalence is estimated to range from 4 to 22 percent.

• https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23638448 -> sweat in excess

Antidepressant-induced excessive sweating (ADIES) occurs in 5% to 14% of patients taking antidepressants

ADIES commonly was prominent in the scalp (62%), face (95%), neck (48%), and chest (57%)

• https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18217788 -> lack of sweat Drugs that induce

hypohidrosis, or deficient sweating, can increase the risk of heat exhaustion or heat stroke and include antimuscarinic anticholinergic agents, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants.

Sweat seem to play a role. 

Antidepressant can make excessive or lack of sweat. But always in sens of deregulation.

Edited by ChessieCat
moved from: From journals and scientific sources

(i am french)

1998 prazépam, citalopram /1999 paroxetine prazepam /2000 paroxétine /2001venafaxine, alprazolam, clomipramine * 2002 (dont remember)/2003 clomipramine, alprazolam /2004 clomipramine /2005 alprazolam /2006(dont remember) * 2007citalopram, alprazolam, prazépam, venlafaxine /2008(dont remember) /2009 venlafaxine /2010 venlafaxine *All precedent withdrawal were very fast. I tried many times to stop but didn't know what happened. *2011 mirtazapine (22,5 mg) , norset , risperdal (cold turkey for risperdal and norset, analysis by doctor say that my body does not support and i was in danger) /2012 mirtazapine / 2013 mirtazapine  *october 2014 mirtazapine (15mg) - putting down slowly.   *when i was good for one month i  down 1ml. (1ml of 100ml of water in which there was 1 pill of 15mg of mirtazapine. At the end i remove 1ml of 50ml of water but with 0,5 pill it does the same concentration.) (i down more like "how i feel, because at the beginning i had a calendar tapping 10% every 15 days and i was really bad, so i decided to see one month and after if i was trust in my body, i remove 10% of the dose at the beginning; and at the end i remove 1ml (when the 10% was lower than 1ml). It was more how i feel. (it is just the last 1 ml that i remove rapidly because i think i was attached mentally and i need to break. and 1ml of 50ml of 15/2mg is just 1ml correspond to 0.15mg. ).  -juillet 2017 stop all. 

nov 2017 tetany and gastritis. I found "euphytose", "spasmine", "phyto-stress" from Govital(the more efficient if crisis because more concentrated)  efficient. If very bad i take valerian extract 1000mg (stop crisis). 

january 2022: I survive. Still having no hunger sensation.

• 8 months later...

For several months I have been waking up in a sweat around 2 am.  Heart rate is usually elevated, and have occasional anxiety also.  Has anyone had this for a while and see it resolve?  Thanks.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Survivor1 said:

For several months I have been waking up in a sweat around 2 am.  Heart rate is usually elevated, and have occasional anxiety also.  Has anyone had this for a while and see it resolve?  Thanks.

Oh I had this when I was first tapering down without knowing what I was doing, awful night sweats and high heart rate etc

then I got sick with the flu, then a second flu and then pneumonia, so I dont' know, if it continued or it was just sweating from being so sick

after I recovered from the pneumonia I had the sweating at night til around er, this past Dec I think...?
I was already off the lexapro completely and the night time symptoms had improved a LOT but were not totally gone.
I guess it gradually got better from there, sorry I can't remember but those symptoms are gone now.

my temp is nearly what i think it should be most of the time. Occasionally I will feel either hotter than I think I should or colder than I think I should, given the air temp where I am.

I am definitely more sensitive to temp changes than I was in the past but like all my other symptoms, I fully expect that sensitivity will end as well.

so yes, it's going to get better!! no worries!!

it sucks when you're going thru it but it  helps to know it's not permanent

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Hi H2H,

Deep down I kind of know it will resolve. but as you know, when you are going through it, it seems like it will last forever ... As usual, you are a beacon in this darkness.  Thank you so much for reinforcing that this is not permanent.

Best.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• Mentor
14 hours ago, Survivor1 said:

Hi H2H,

Deep down I kind of know it will resolve. but as you know, when you are going through it, it seems like it will last forever ... As usual, you are a beacon in this darkness.  Thank you so much for reinforcing that this is not permanent.

Best.

oh I understand

I needed almost daily reassurances when I was in the thick of it

Actually some days, I needed or at least wanted, reassurance every couple of hours

it's going to get better. 

Try not to think about the stuff that's still uncomfortable, and focus on the things that are getting better

I know it's hard but it will actually help you feel better overall, and I think it helps you to recover faster, I don't know....

but in any event, it can't hurt

I started to think of my night sweats as a way to remove toxins from my body. It made it a bit more bearable. 

I do find that reducing my sugar intact reduces the sweating, both the intensity and how long it lasts,

on days I ate the least amnt of sweets, I had the shortest mildest episodes

that seems to be a trigger, as I ate a ton of super sweet cookies yesterday and had sweating late last night, or more like early this morning. Oops!!

once in awhile is not too bad but I'm back on the whole foods today, no junk!!

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

I had this about a year off of Paxil. It resolved after a month or two. 

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

S.   I also had this at odd times ~ not just 2 am. I often had the heat, cortisol and overall flush feeling all at the same time. For me, it usually came in a rush and could be pretty much anytime, although I was much more conscious of it at night. It often kept me awake ... over ... and over ...

The thing is that even after almost 4 years ... off everything ~  I still occasionally get it. It's quite bizarre that even after this extraordinary length of time, it can still be very apparent. That just shows me the power of these drugs ...

It's not permanent and it does get better ~ now, it's more like a mosquito bite ~ annoying , but you know what it is ~ so, no big deal.  ;)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, Happy2Heal said:

oh I understand

I needed almost daily reassurances when I was in the thick of it

Actually some days, I needed or at least wanted, reassurance every couple of hours

it's going to get better. 

Try not to think about the stuff that's still uncomfortable, and focus on the things that are getting better

I know it's hard but it will actually help you feel better overall, and I think it helps you to recover faster, I don't know....

but in any event, it can't hurt

I started to think of my night sweats as a way to remove toxins from my body. It made it a bit more bearable. 

I do find that reducing my sugar intact reduces the sweating, both the intensity and how long it lasts,

on days I ate the least amnt of sweets, I had the shortest mildest episodes

that seems to be a trigger, as I ate a ton of super sweet cookies yesterday and had sweating late last night, or more like early this morning. Oops!!

Hi H2H do you eat organic ,I try to stick to whole foods myself .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Mentor
9 minutes ago, powerback said:

Hi H2H do you eat organic ,I try to stick to whole foods myself

when I can afford it, I'll get organically grown produce but to be honest, I can't afford it unless it's on sale.

what's mostly different about the way that I eat is that I eat a LOT of beans and vegetables. They are the main component of my diet. Where some ppl eat a half cup of veggies once a day, but meat at nearly every meal,  basically reverse that. I do eat a small amnt of meat/fish, but usually not more than once or twice a week. Usually only because it's the cheapest and easy to get option, like when I forget to pack a lunch when I go out.

One of the leading nutritional scientists for the World Health Organization is quoted as saying that, like radiation, there is no safe amnt of meat, ppl should avoid it or at the very least, drastically reduce the amnt they eat. All the science is backing this up, it's no longer controversial.

However, that said, when I was in acute WD, I was losing wt so rapidly, I really feel like I *needed* to eat both meat and fish and sometimes eggs, just to slow down the weight loss. I got horribly thin and felt weak and dizzy, as my blood pressure plummeted too.

I have leveled off and am a healthy weight now. If I'm not careful with sodium, my blood pressure will go up, so I have to watch that.

I typically eat vegetables for breakfast or a veg-bean soup, and I'll have a salad &/or soup with more vegetables for lunch, for snacks I have fruit mostly. I like to have oatmeal with ground flax seed and walnuts at night as my last meal because it helps me sleep. 

Where I go wrong is eating simple carbs and sweets, those are my weakness. I'm doing better though!

I've gotten down to just a tiny bit of agave syrup in my tea and on my cereal and the night sweats are GONE!

woohoo!
I must try to remember that sugar=sweating, and ask myself "is it worth it?"

sometimes the answer may be yes, lol but hey, for some occasional chocolate, why not?

• 1 month later...

I've been waking up feeling too hot.

The UK is in a heat wave now so that's probably a factor, but then I'm in summer PJs so do think WD is playing a part.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 9 months later...

i've had this too, but thought it was my hrt off balance...nope! it was too fast withdrawals from quetiapine, which levelled out once i learned water titration and began doing that for the part of my quetiapine dose that i'm tapering. it took about 3 days to really stop. i sleep with my room at 70 degrees F year round. and progesterone helps keep the real hot flashes at bay, though they don't usually come when i take my hrt as prescribed. the too fast or uneven tapering when i wa scutting tiny pills with scissors is what got me.

UPDATED: 9/01/2019

Quetiapine:  2000-2005: 50mg;  2005: 100mg;   2008: 400mg;   2011: 100mg;   2014: 300mg;   2014-2017: 400mg;  7/2018-2/2019: 75mg;  1/2019: 68.75mg;  4/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (25mg 8AM, 18.75mg 4PM, 25mg MIDNITE);  5/2019: 68.75mg (switched to all liquid taper using HUMCO suspension agent)  8/2019: 61mg       

Clonazepam:  2008: 2mg then 0.25mg;   2012: 0.5mg;   2014: 1mg;   4/2019: 1mg ~completed switch to 3x daily dosing (0.25mg 8AM, 0.25mg 2PM, 0.5mg 8PM);   8/2019: 1mg (switched to all liquid taper using propylene glycol as solvent)    

Gabapentin:   2011: 100mg;   2011: 200mg TID    2014: 300mg;  2017: 600mg;   2019: 900mg PM;   3/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (300mg q8h)

Prior drugs: Please see this link:    (the remaining dates & meds records will be updated as i receive my complete medical files.)

Suppl's: Deva Vegan Multi & Mineral Supplement w/Greens 1x, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate 100mg 4x, vit c 1000mg  2x, zinc gluconate 50mg 1x q.o.d., Allicin Max 180mg TID,  chlorella/spirulina 50/50 blend 2tabs 5x daily

HRT:  300mg oral progesterone h.s., 0.1mg estradiol transdermal patch 2x week

• Altostrata changed the title to Waking up in a sweat, sweating, antidepressants, and withdrawal
  • 2 years later...

In my first few years of withdrawal I regularly woke up drenched in sweat. That doesn't happen anymore. I still often get the cortisol-spike rude awakenings and am sometimes a bit sweaty then, but nothing like before. Since I got black-out curtains in my bedroom this is milder. 

What surprises me most these days is I get very sweaty in certain situations during the day. I've noticed that it usually occurs during social interaction. I'll be sitting with someone having a perfectly calm, unspectacular conversation and I realize I am sweating profusely. It's as though the situation is very activating for my nervous system. Sometimes my heart rate also increases, but not always. I find this sweating astonishing. In a way it makes sense because throughout withdrawal one of my most difficult challenges has been social interaction. I never suffered from social anxiety prior to withdrawal, but throughout this process social verbal exchanges have been among the most stressful external circumstances, sending my system into high alert. I would suddenly feel extremely nervous and inexplicably unsafe from a mere chat. Currently I do not detect conscious anxiety, but it seems my system is still reacting to dealing with other people (and their nervous systems?). It appears my body considers social interaction "high stakes" and very stimulating. The fact that I've been quite isolated for so long and am no longer accustomed to being around other people may also factor into this. I imagine that as my outer-world involvement increases my body will gradually get used to things. 

I'm not sweatin' it, but I sure am sweatin'!

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy