SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

AB79: Duloxetine

AB79

Hi Everyone!

i have started a taper a few months ago from duloxetine 60mg and am now on 30mg. I've been on antidepressants for about 14 years almost straight through. I've tried different ones and always tapered down while starting another to taper up. I had awful withdrawals when I stopped Paxil and felt labile like I was hypomanic, crying and agitated. I soon started something else. I'm ready to try stopping. My liver tests are elevated, I'm overweight, and I'm always tired. I had night sweats on 60 mg of duloxetine and they are lessening with a lower dose. I also always had challenges with orgasm, and really had to work for it. That's improving a bit. Thank you for having this forum!!!!!

AB

I have started a duloxetine taper from 60 mg and am now on 30 mg, and will be opening the capsules to lessen slowly.

• ChessieCat changed the title to AB79: Duloxetine
  • Administrator

Welcome, AB.

Going on and off drugs can be wearing overall, making your body and nervous system more and more sensitive to all drugs. Your liver is sending up a red flag. It needs a break to regenerate.

You're wise to minimize your drug burden now.

Good to hear your taper is going well. What is the method you're using?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, AB.

Going on and off drugs can be wearing overall, making your body and nervous system more and more sensitive to all drugs. Your liver is sending up a red flag. It needs a break to regenerate.

You're wise to minimize your drug burden now.

Good to hear your taper is going well. What is the method you're using?

Thank you for the welcome! I started to reduce the pellets in the 60 mg a little each week. I'm not sure if I was more irritable or sensitive that what I normally am. I've always been sensitive in reaction to my relationships so this is sort of who I am. I have been crying more though I do have stressors but what's new.

i then confirmed with my doctor that I wanted to come off of this drug. I didn't tell him I had already started. He then reduced my dose to 30 mg. I've been on this for a month and am seeing him in September so I'm staying at 30 for now. Then when I see him again, I can reduce the pellets slowly. I realize that's the best way. 

I thought I was imagining the drugs side effects. I have a friend whose doctor put her on 60 mg of cymbalta and she's having bad side effects. And when she shared, I was like I'm not imagining this. 

I used to binge drink in my 20's and I'm 38 on Monday. I thought my liver was effected just by that but now I'm thinking the pills have not helped. I also think they don't work for any of my emotional issues anymore. Initially, I took lexapro, my first AD. And it did work! I could feel alive again. But that stopped working and then the long road began. I've been stable for years but still on the pills. I hope I don't get depressed again.

AB

I have started a duloxetine taper from 60 mg and am now on 30 mg, and will be opening the capsules to lessen slowly.

• Moderator Emeritus

AB79 -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You say you are reducing the number of pellets in a capsule each week.  Do you plan to continue doing it this way?  When you say "a little .. each week," how many is a little?

We suggest tapering by decreasing your dose at any time by 10% no more than once per month.  Please read:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Staying at 30 mg until you see your doctor in September is an excellent idea, especially since the adverse effects have reduced to a manageable level.

You may find some helpful ideas and discussion about emotional symptoms in these topics:

Neuro-emotions.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet