SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ holly57: hello - tapering off olanzapine / Zyprexa

holly57

Hi,

I have been on olanzapine since December 2014 (2.5 years).  I started at 10 mgs, then went to 5 mgs after 2 months.  I then dropped to 2.5 mgs.  Last August, I started 1.25 mgs day and stayed there until July 2017.  I am now doing .625 mg/day since July 6.  I am cutting this from a 5 mg pill.  I am on no other medications.

I stopped seeing my psychiatrist last Aug.  I lost my insurance then.  I have been doing really well and feel like I will be ok coming off.  Even when I was seeing the doctor, I told him I could not stay on this forever as I've gained 30 lbs and I am afraid of diabetis, the dulled effect to my personality and other side-effects.

I lapsed into a depression that lasted a few months when dropping under 2.5 mg.  I felt with absolute certainty that it was caused from tapering down the medication and not a return of any illness.  The depression lifted suddenly back in the spring and I've felt more like my old self than I have in years.  The only side-effect I seem to have right now from the taper is difficulty sleeping some nights.  It's not every night...probably 3 nights a week that I wake up several times in the night.

I don't know where to put my question but I'd like to know if anyone has successfully come off olanzapine (Zyprexa) and when they did the final jump.  I am taking such a small crumb of pill that I don't think I can cut it anymore.  I am thinking that my next step will be to do .625 every other night.  I feel happier today than I ever did while on olanzapine.  It depressed the heck out of me and blunted my emotions greatly.  I look at this tiny crumb I take every night and wonder if it is doing anything at all.

Can anyone direct me where to go to post my questions?

Thank you!

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

Diagnosed as Bipolar in Dec 2013 - Took Olanzapine (10 mgs) for 6 weeks - Stopped Cold Turkey Feb 2014  

On Olanzapine (Zyprexa)since Nov 2014 as follows (daily):

Nov 2014 - Feb 2015 - 10 mg/day

Feb 2015 - May 2015 - 5 mg/day

May 2015 - Aug 2016 - 2.5 mg day (noticed tinnitus starting at this dose - I still currently suffer from it)

Aug 2016 - July 2017 - 1.25 mg day (had a 3 month bout with depression when at this dose - I felt it was withdrawal related and it did pass after about 3 months)

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

Oct 1 2017 - .625 mg every other day

Nov 6 2017 - .625 every 3rd day

Feb 22 2018 - Last dose at .625 every 3rd day

• ChessieCat changed the title to holly57: Hello - Tapering off Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Holly and welcome to SA,

It is not recommeded to alternate days to get off a drug.  SA recommends taking the same dose at about the same time daily.

Here is SA's topic:  Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

From Post #1:

To minimize the risk of withdrawal symptoms, we recommend a conservative taper of 10% from the previous dosage every few weeks. The amount of the decrease keeps getting smaller. Some people find they can go faster and some people find they have to go slower -- they can only tolerate decreases of a fraction of a milligram at a time. See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

AND further down:

Using orodispersible Zyprexa tablets or wafers to taper
These tablets or wafers, which dissolve in the mouth, come in a range of dosages (see above). Conceivably, one might very carefully cut up the wafers to taper, but they may be difficult to cut accurately. (I haven't done this and don't know of anyone who has, please let us know if you try this.)

Making a liquid with water would seem to be a better way to taper utilizing these tablets or wafers.

See http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/25020/spc

One of our members has tapered successfully by making a liquid with the orodispersible wafers, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/?p=163188

I would dispose of any homemade liquid left over from a dose -- do not save for another dose.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Holly, welcome to SA. You can ask questions here in your topic, this is your journal to log progress and ask any questions you have. 

Well done for tapering olanzapine, most people try cold turkey first and suffer withdrawal. You are right abpout the depression being from the taper, you would have been in withdrawal but thankfully that settled down. As you cut the dose by half again this month it will be best for you to hold that dose for a while to let your brain adjust to the lower dose. I know you will probably be wanring  to stop that last crumb but the last little bit can cause withdrawal if it is stopped too soon! 

I will get some links to some topics for you to read so you can understand the process.  First it will help if you can fill in your signature for us, you can find instructions here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Tapering zyprexa, you can make a liquid from tablets to get tiny decreases. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/

What is withdrawal syndrome 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

I see that CC has replied as I was typing, 2 of us together how's that for service :) 

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

MammaP and Chessie Cat,

Thank you both for your replies and a wealth of information!  

I have no access to anymore prescriptions and must make do with what I have left.  

After reading the info you provided, I think the best thing for me is to invest in a digital scale and weigh the pieces out for my next drop.

I'm going to stay where I'm at for at least another month, maybe more.  I'm trying to give my brain enough time to adjust AND stave off any withdrawal syndrome.  I've taken my own sweet time in doing this.

I also hope to be a beacon to others who are trying to get off this drug.  It worked wonders for me but the side-effects are not acceptable to me anymore and it's time to get off.  I've read horror story after horror story on the internet and after I found this site, I thought that I am NOT reading the horror stories anymore.  I'm simply going to do this the smartest way I know how and hopefully, be a Zyprexa success story.

I hope someone will eventually drop in who has tapered off!

Take care,

Holly

Diagnosed as Bipolar in Dec 2013 - Took Olanzapine (10 mgs) for 6 weeks - Stopped Cold Turkey Feb 2014  

May 2015 - Aug 2016 - 2.5 mg day (noticed tinnitus starting at this dose - I still currently suffer from it)

Aug 2016 - July 2017 - 1.25 mg day (had a 3 month bout with depression when at this dose - I felt it was withdrawal related and it did pass after about 3 months)

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

Hi Holly,

I am currently tapering olanzapine successfully. From what I have researched, at least in North America, as far as I am aware there are only two kinds of olanzapine, the kind that is solid that you swallow with a pill, and the kind that dissolves on your tongue and/or in liquid. The problem I found is that even the one that dissolves -  it does not completely dissolve and the olanzapine particles sink to the bottom. I tried doing it with just water and had inconsistent results because the particles quickly sank to the bottom. So I use ORA-Plus, a suspending agent, added to the water. The ORA-plus needs to be more than 50% of the solution so I use 6 ml of ORA-plus and 4 ml of water plus my 5 ml ODT olanzapine pill first dissolved in the 4 ml of water (then I add the ORA-plus) and to get 1.25 mg of olanzapine I would draw up 2.5 ml of solution made. Or in your case to get .625 you would draw up 1.25 ml of solution. Using a liquid you can taper in smaller increments accurately. I did your method (dry cutting by 50% each time) and got down to .3125 four times before having to go back on it at a higher amount. Though I was not staying as long as you did at 1.25 - so your body has adjusted to this amount nicely. However dropping from .625 to nothing might be too much and I would definitely stay at .625 for a while (like 3 to 4 months minimum - more if you feel you need it) since this was a 50% cut, to allow your body to adjust. If you do decide to make a liquid so you can make accurate drops lower than .625, you can also use a regular olanzapine pill that does not dissolve, and just use a pill crusher/grinder and then put the ground up pill in the ORA-plus/water mix putting in the ORA-plus first this time since it doesn't need to be dissolved in water first. I read that when you make a solution with Olanzapine it needs to be refrigerated and can last for 48 hrs, so you can take the first dose at 0 hrs, the second at 24 hrs, and the third at 48 hrs - so three doses. This has worked fine for me and the doses seem to work fine too for 48 hrs. I too have found as I have got lower on this medicine and adjusted that I feel better. What's the harm in taking it slow since you are already so low and it is not effecting you too much now? To risk horrible side effects from coming off too fast and awful insomnia I don't think it is worth the risk. With how little the pill is impacting you at .625 you can only be the gainer by going cautiously now.

Medicine History

June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.

Medicine Current

2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016

Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

herewego,

Thanks for the instructions.  I will look into the liquid taper when time to go lower. It seems like it would work well for such a tiny amount.

I agree with you that I feel so much better since adjusting to the very low dosage I find myself at now.  The "dulled" effect and the "melancholy" are now gone.  The whole time on olanzapine, I had no zest for life.  My happiness was gone.  I was not depressed, I just wasn't happy if that makes sense.

I feel the reason I am doing so well on this taper is the length of time I have stayed at each dose.  When dropping under 2.5 mgs, a depression came on.  I was positive it was caused from the drop and I rode it out.  I was right...it lifted and I've felt more myself every single day since.

Zyprexa helped me when I needed it but I don't agree with most doctors that you need to be on it for life.  I have done a lot of research into my decision.  I never want to feel like I did on Zyprexa again.  It was not living!  I felt like I was in some type of melancholy state.

Congratulations to you for getting so low on olanzapine, as well.  We are both to be patted on the back :) From what I read, this is a hard med to come off of.

My doctor wanted me on 5 mgs/day for life.  He said that I would not have as much "protection" at 2.5 mgs and that there was a chance that a manic psychosis could come back,  Not only has it not come back but I have been at 2.5 and under for over 2 years.

I'll keep my thread updated as to how I do.  Would you mind leaving me a link to your thread?  I'd love to keep up with you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for helping out with that information, herewego.

This is the link:  herewego: too large of a cut - should I go back up?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

If you click on the TAGS (zyprexa & olanzapine) at the top of your page it will bring up links to other members who are tapering this drug (and have the same tag).

Edited by ChessieCat
reworded

Thankis, ChessieCat!!!

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

• 2 weeks later...

Holly. 

Have a look at my thread. I have come off zyprexa. I dropped greater than 10%, only b/c I didn't have a choice. I've been off for 3 weeks and haven't seen any improvements. I feel very depressed all the time and unmotivated along with some other symptoms. 

You're lucky that you're feeling more like yourself. Did you ever have any withdrawal symptoms besides the depression? 

I too felt like the zyprexa wasn't doing anything the further down I got. So I just stopped it after taking 1/4 of a 2.5mg pill for 2 days .i was scared about insomnia, but nothing happened. I'm feeling and sleeping the exact same as I was when I was on the drug. 

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

• ChessieCat changed the title to holly57: Hello - tapering off Olanzapine (Zyprexa)

Plshelp, Sorry I've taken a bit to respond but I wanted to address your questions because you are suffering from the "dreaded depression" when coming off Zyprexa.  I am sorry you are going through this.  It wasn't so long ago that I had the depression from tapering, too.  Thank goodness it has gone.

Three weeks is not long enough, in my opinion, to be free of the symptoms of withdrawal.  A minimum of 12-14 weeks will be required before you begin to come out of the withdrawal syndrome.  For me, it happened very quickly.  I woke one day to suddenly feeling much, much better and it's been uphill since then.  Put your chin up, dig in your heels and know that your day is coming!  It takes time for our brains to recover and for the dopamine levels to balance out and our receptors to heal or do whatever it is they have to do.  I decided going into this that I was going to take my time and I was going to listen to my body.  I do not do a drop unless I have been feeling well at my previous dose for a good while.  I only have enough medication to do this once.

I was so unmotivated and melancholy while on Zyprexa but I did not have a depression..  The worst of my tapering symptomes were depression, which lasted 3-4 months, no motivation, some insomnia and decreasing appetite (which was a good thing!).  I feel like I came out on the good end because I went very slow in dropping and stayed at each level for a good while.  In my opionion, based on my own taper, it was a very good decision on my part to do that.

You are more than likely suffering from discontinuation syndrome because of dropping too quickly.   I am so tired of reading people's stories where doctors have them taper too fast.  

Another thing....I try and not dwell on this taper too much.  If you dwell on it, if you scan your body for symptoms all the time, it can wear you out.  Try to live your life free of fear of the taper.  Many people have come off olanzapine successfully...it's just that when you've been successful at it, you're not on the internet writing horror stories of coming off of it.  Think positively and your outcome will be positive.  That is what I'm trying to live by.  I know your depressed right now and it's hard but rest assured, if this depression is caused by tapering the drug, time will be on your side...your mind will heal.

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

On 8/7/2017 at 2:26 PM, holly57 said:

Plshelp, Sorry I've taken a bit to respond but I wanted to address your questions because you are suffering from the "dreaded depression" when coming off Zyprexa.  I am sorry you are going through this.  It wasn't so long ago that I had the depression from tapering, too.  Thank goodness it has gone.

Three weeks is not long enough, in my opinion, to be free of the symptoms of withdrawal.  A minimum of 12-14 weeks will be required before you begin to come out of the withdrawal syndrome.  For me, it happened very quickly.  I woke one day to suddenly feeling much, much better and it's been uphill since then.  Put your chin up, dig in your heels and know that your day is coming!  It takes time for our brains to recover and for the dopamine levels to balance out and our receptors to heal or do whatever it is they have to do.  I decided going into this that I was going to take my time and I was going to listen to my body.  I do not do a drop unless I have been feeling well at my previous dose for a good while.  I only have enough medication to do this once.

I was so unmotivated and melancholy while on Zyprexa but I did not have a depression..  The worst of my tapering symptomes were depression, which lasted 3-4 months, no motivation, some insomnia and decreasing appetite (which was a good thing!).  I feel like I came out on the good end because I went very slow in dropping and stayed at each level for a good while.  In my opionion, based on my own taper, it was a very good decision on my part to do that.

You are more than likely suffering from discontinuation syndrome because of dropping too quickly.   I am so tired of reading people's stories where doctors have them taper too fast.  

Another thing....I try and not dwell on this taper too much.  If you dwell on it, if you scan your body for symptoms all the time, it can wear you out.  Try to live your life free of fear of the taper.  Many people have come off olanzapine successfully...it's just that when you've been successful at it, you're not on the internet writing horror stories of coming off of it.  Think positively and your outcome will be positive.  That is what I'm trying to live by.  I know your depressed right now and it's hard but rest assured, if this depression is caused by tapering the drug, time will be on your side...your mind will heal.

I've been struggling with eating. Like I have to force myself to eat and drink fluids. I have to force myself to do anything. My family doctor just prescribed me Cymbalta, b/c I'm struggling to function and the depression is so bad. I want this pain to end. 

Everyone keeps telling me that i need more time, more time. Well, trying to get thru every minute is torture. Do you experience that? Maybe it's just my brain that's having these issues. 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

plshelp .I strongly suggest you start distracting yourself and stop trying  to validate all the misery you are going through ,this will chew your brain up ,you have to give yourself a break and rest .I totally get the pain ,I'm experiencing serious excruciating depression and intrusive thoughts at the moment ,but I try not to panic and find a healthy way to distract myself .

I believe we have to learn ways to come out of it and I agree with you its truly horrible .

I walk in the outdoors nearly every day and a simple hello from a fellow human being can be enough to make me feel I'm not alone in the world  or a tourist asking to take a photo [walks very busy in summer ].

some days I cant even look at people because I get this feeling when they look at me ,they can see all my pain and sorrow but I try and that builds resilience ,its dam hard though at times .

you have to force yourself to eat healthy ,I'm in no mood for eating salad leaves soon but its healthy and helps I hope :(.

take good care and keep hope in your heart .

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 2 months later...

Dear holly57

Did you come off olanzapine.Did your taper finished?

How are you now.Please update your situation.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2017 at 6:20 AM, rupa said:

Dear holly57

Did you come off olanzapine.Did your taper finished?

How are you now.Please update your situation. 

Hi Rupa....I am down to ..3125 (1/8 of a 5 mg tab) every third day.  Sometimes, I forget to take it and it's every 4th day.  I suppose it's not doing anything for me anymore as my dose is so low but I'm nervous to take that final leap.  My husband has suggested that on Jan 1, I take the plunge and go ahead and stop.  I am just hoping I kind of forget to take it anymore :)  Still doing well..sleeping good and my mood is good.  I am a changed person since going through  what I did but I think that's par for the course.  Thank you for asking about me and I'm glad I stopped in here tonight to update my thread!

On 8/5/2017 at 1:11 AM, Plshelp said:

Holly. 

Have a look at my thread. I have come off zyprexa. I dropped greater than 10%, only b/c I didn't have a choice. I've been off for 3 weeks and haven't seen any improvements. I feel very depressed all the time and unmotivated along with some other symptoms. 

You're lucky that you're feeling more like yourself. Did you ever have any withdrawal symptoms besides the depression? 

I too felt like the zyprexa wasn't doing anything the further down I got. So I just stopped it after taking 1/4 of a 2.5mg pill for 2 days .i was scared about insomnia, but nothing happened. I'm feeling and sleeping the exact same as I was when I was on the drug. 

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

holly57

Thank you for replying.I will be waiting for your finish line of tapering.

Best wishes.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

holly57

Have you ever experienced dreams ,while on olanzapine or on Tapering and now? please tell me.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to post an update.  I am currently on .625mg every 3 days!  

I cut a 5 mg tablet into 8 pieces (that is as small as I can reasonably cut it).  I have slowly gone from taking that every day to every 3 days. This means that I am taking 1 1/4 tablet a month!  I could probably stop now but I am going to spread this out to taking one .625 piece a week and then quit.  I know at this point I am way under any kind of therapeutic dose.

I started this taper in June 2015.  It is now Jan 2018.  I have taken 2.5 years to get here.  The only discomfort I had was some depression when I went under 2.5 mg that lasted about 3 months.  No sleep disturbance and no insomnia.  No nausea.  My emotions are back.  I am left with one thing and that is tinnitus.  I have to admit that I suffered with this when I had my psychosis so the Olanzapine may have masked it.  It started coming back when I got to 2.5 mg/day.

SLOW is the way to go to come off Zyprexa comfortably.

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

Hi, holl57. My son was on .625mg when he CT. It. He was off meds for two months then he got very sick and weak. We took him to the hospital and they treated him and was released same day. After a month, he got nervous break and was sent to psych ward for three days. Now he's on 1.25mg and that's where he was before for 5 weeks. Do you think we are doing right dose or need change. Any advice is good. Since he was high dose while in psych ward. 20mg night.

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

• 1 month later...

Tyson, I am sorry that I am not qualified to give you an answer.  I am not a doctor and am uncomfortable giving anyone advice.  I can only post my story so that others can read it and see that it is possible to come off Zyprexa/Olanzapine if and when you are ready.  I do feel comfortable saying two things:  (a) You must stay on Zyprexa long enough for some stability (b) The taper of Zyprexa must be done very, very,, very slowly if you want no side effects.  You can see in my signature how long I took to come off of it.  I recommend being under a doctor's care while tapering although I was unable to do that.

I have not had a dose of Olanzapine/Zyprexa since Feb 22 2018.  (10 days)  I did not consciously stop.  I just realized a few days ago that I had forgotten to take it and so decided to continue onward and see how I did.  So far, so good.  Sleep is great, no symptoms of anything irregular at all.  This is the way I had hoped I would quit...just spread the doses out until I finally started forgetting about it.

I will continue to report here at intervals as to how I'm doing.  I hope this is it.  I know I was only taking 1/8 of a 5 mg tablet every 3 days but boy, when I took that, it knocked me out.  I could sleep for 12 hours.  I was very shocked that the tiny amount did that to me.

Edited by manymoretodays
wording

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Holly,

I edited out your statement re: waiting for your brain to heal while on olanzapine....... to just waiting for stability before beginning a taper.

We don't ever recommend or suggest a medication to be taken every 3rd day or tapering in this manner.  You are aware that olanzapine  has about a 3 day half life?  And that your 50% decreases in dosing may cause some delay in your "healing"?  The dose receptor occupancy may also explain some of your early success in dropping doses so severely.  Now that you have completely gone off your medication without careful planning it is entirely possible you may experience some psychosis or other W/D induced symptoms.  DP/DR possibly or anxiety/fears.  Don't get me wrong here........I guess you could say I'm a olanzapine survivor as well.......I agree, it's an extremely toxic medication.  

On 1/9/2018 at 9:49 PM, tyson said:

Hi, holl57. My son was on .625mg when he CT. It. He was off meds for two months then he got very sick and weak. We took him to the hospital and they treated him and was released same day. After a month, he got nervous break and was sent to psych ward for three days. Now he's on 1.25mg and that's where he was before for 5 weeks. Do you think we are doing right dose or need change. Any advice is good. Since he was high dose while in psych ward. 20mg night.

It's possible that tyson was trying to help you here.  I am hoping you are fully aware that the symptoms of W/D from a long acting atypical antipsychotic may be apparent right around now to several months out.  Do you have a plan in place for dealing with symptoms and support system?

It appears we have some mixed results post coming off of olanzapine right here in your thread.   As well as links you might consider looking at if needed.  

Please do keep us updated as well.  Sending positive healing vibes. B)  Glad to hear that your sleep is going well at this point.  And let's stay upbeat and positive.......okay? 

Sincerely wishing you the best on your journey to recovery and healing,

Love, peace, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

holly, please let us know how you're doing.

We're concerned that if withdrawal should hit, you will panic and end up in the hospital on much higher doses of a combination of drugs. If you should feel odd or start to get scared of your symptoms, please take a crumb of olanzapine right away. This should diminish withdrawal symptoms.

If you get withdrawal symptoms, you probably will need to take a very low dose of olanzapine, such as 0.25mg-0.625mg, regularly for a while, probably at night, then taper more gradually by tiny amounts.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again holly57,

Do read Altostrata's comments/suggestions above.  And my apologies if my initial response sounded too harsh and negative.  It came out of concern really.  And I am still very much in learning mode as well........a wanna be scientist if you will.......

I hope this is it too.  As far as you and olanzapine.  Nice to have a "just in case action plan" IF you do get some uncomfortable W/D symptoms.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Looking forward to your update when you can....

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

According to my former doctor, 2.5 mgs/day, in his opinion was not even a therapeutic dose*.  He wanted all of his patients on at least 5 mg/day because they had more "protection", in his words.  I have not been on a therapeutic dose of Olanzapine (at least 5 mg/day) since sometime in 2015.  That is 1 1/2 years ago.  If, I were going to have symptoms come back, I really think they would've reemerged by now.  I was very lucky to have a good doctor...I was treated by one of the top psychiatric hospitals in the United States.  My husband is very watchful of me and so am I.  I took myself back to the doctor in 2014 and would do so again in a heartbeat if we notice anything coming back.

I think I may have joined here by mistake.  Sorry, I did not read about what this site was before posting.  I thought it was for anyone tapering Olanzapine, not just people using the 10% method.  I have taken 2.5 years to come off this medication....I did it very slowly and without suffering any side-effects except for one episode of depression when going under 2.5 mg.  I did not have to be hospitalized and was able to work and care for myself.

I also realize you may change the wording in my posts but I'm not really into that unless someone says something hateful or cruel.  I was just here to try and give people some hope that you can come off this drug successfully and without too much suffering.  I really wanted to be positive and upbeat without all of the scaremongering about illnesses coming back, etc....  I strongly feel that when you constantly "scan" yourself for symptoms or expect symptoms to happen, they will happen.  The best advice I can give is that during a taper, you live your life and forget about the taper as much as you can.  We can literally scare ourselves back into symptoms.

Feel free to remove my posts since I don't seem to be a good fit for this site.  Good luck to you all.  This IS do-able!

On 04/05/2016 at 9:32 AM, Altostrata said:

"Therapeutic dose" means absolutely nothing. It's an arbitrary number from the drug companies.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added note about therapeutic dose for other members' information

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, holly57 said:

I think I may have joined here by mistake.  Sorry, I did not read about what this site was before posting.  I thought it was for anyone tapering Olanzapine, not just people using the 10% method.

4 hours ago, holly57 said:

Feel free to remove my posts since I don't seem to be a good fit for this site.  Good luck to you all.  This IS do-able!

Hi Holly,

You are very welcome here.  This is a peer support site for getting off or reducing psychiatric drugs.  Members can ask questions in their own Intro topic and journal their progress.  They can also be supported by and support other members in each others Intro topics.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, holly57 said:

According to my former doctor, 2.5 mgs/day, in his opinion was not even a therapeutic dose*.  He wanted all of his patients on at least 5 mg/day because they had more "protection", in his words.  I have not been on a therapeutic dose of Olanzapine (at least 5 mg/day) since sometime in 2015.  That is 1 1/2 years ago.  If, I were going to have symptoms come back, I really think they would've reemerged by now.  ....

"Therapeutic dose" refers to the suppression of psychiatric symptoms; for olanzapine, which is an antipsychotic, this generally means psychotic symptoms. Even so, the "therapeutic dose" designated by the drug companies is an arbitrary amount, which doctors adopt because they don't have any other information about dosing.

When it comes to tapering, "therapeutic dose" has no meaning at all. You want to decrease gradually, but still take enough at each step so that you don't get withdrawal symptoms. If this governed your taper, you did it correctly for your nervous system.

Congratulations on your gradual taper, however you designed it. We all hope you are well quit of olanzapine and you do not get withdrawal symptoms, which we often see will emerge some weeks off the drug. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor
On 3/6/2018 at 7:50 AM, holly57 said:

I will continue to report here at intervals as to how I'm doing.  I hope this is it.  I know I was only taking 1/8 of a 5 mg tablet every 3 days but boy, when I took that, it knocked me out.  I could sleep for 12 hours.  I was very shocked that the tiny amount did that to me.

these drugs are very very strong!

it's not a great idea to be taking it every 3 days, better to take a tinier amnt on a regular basis, but what's done is done, I guess.

so you are completely off it now? 

that's great 

I look forward to reading your updates, I"m sure you're going to do just fine.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 3/10/2018 at 5:20 PM, holly57 said:

I think I may have joined here by mistake.  Sorry, I did not read about what this site was before posting.  I thought it was for anyone tapering Olanzapine, not just people using the 10% method.  I have taken 2.5 years to come off this medication....I did it very slowly and without suffering any side-effects except for one episode of depression when going under 2.5 mg.  I did not have to be hospitalized and was able to work and care for myself.

I also realize you may change the wording in my posts but I'm not really into that unless someone says something hateful or cruel.  I was just here to try and give people some hope that you can come off this drug successfully and without too much suffering.  I really wanted to be positive and upbeat without all of the scaremongering about illnesses coming back, etc....  I strongly feel that when you constantly "scan" yourself for symptoms or expect symptoms to happen, they will happen.  The best advice I can give is that during a taper, you live your life and forget about the taper as much as you can.  We can literally scare ourselves back into symptoms.

Hi holly57,

You are in the right place.  So many here that do need to hear your story of hope and recovery, as well as healing........in whatever way YOU choose to define that.  I'm working on my definitions of healing and stability, and what it means to be a human being, and my responsibility in that regard.  So.......again apologies.  And I would love to hear your working definition of healing.........for yourself, and I'm sure many others would too. 

I no longer "scan myself for symptoms" either, and keep in mind that I have a different medication/drug history from you............  I suppose you could say I just do what needs to be done most days.  I, however, would like to finally put my symptoms into the checklist that we often refer to here, as I wasn't able to even follow directions, never mind read them initiallly.

Here is the checklist that we use, if you think that might be helpful, to note your progress with:

My sympathetic nervous system has been acting up a bit lately.........and I'm pretty certain that it is due to some changes I have recently made in my personal life.........or maybe the change of seasons around these parts and my immune system acting up a bit.........I never know for certain.  I'm not sure........yet........where amygdala comes into play.......or into this marvelous play, that I call my life now.  She's always around though......Amy G dala..........my dear friend.  :rolleyes:

I'll leave you with another link that you might be interested to read as well.  And my present take is that even though you were not on a SSRI per se........I think that anytime one neurotransmitter is interfered with by the way of medications/drugs, that they all do go through some changes(referring to neurotransmitters here) both while on the medication and then after.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/392-one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

Then again........there are many who do choose to not hang around too long after getting free of their medications/drugs.  I certainly hope you will update, if only that, from time to time.  You might consider taking part in some of the various discussions that we have going here, on site, as well.   Or perhaps talking with your doctors/psychiatrists if they will give you the time.........educating them so to speak as to what you might have learned here and elsewhere.......so they may better help future "patients".

All my best, whatever you decide, peace and harmony,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

• 4 weeks later...

Dear holly57

It is more than a month you are free from olanzapine.

Please update your situation.

How are you now?

• 1 month later...

@holly57 has your sleep returned mostly?

My Intro FB Zyprexa 2015-September 2018

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

Current - Abilify Maintena & L Theanine(for akathisia)

arwilliams,

I ended 15 years on Zyprexa at a 30mg/day dose. Zyprexa worked well for me with the exception I was always going up in dose. I had to stop quickly because of health issues caused by Zyprexa side effects that started once I hit the 20mg/day dose. My Doctor said to taper by 25%, hold for 10 days, then drop by 25% again. I initially started with a 10% reduction and I went into full withdrawals 2 days after my first drop. My doctor said I had to get off the Zyprexa and to drop by 25% every 10 days. That's what I did. My last dose of 0.625 mg was March 4. My withdrawals started getting real bad at 1.25mg. What's strange with me is my withdrawals got the worst after 4 weeks being off the medication. At about week 9 I started feeling much better but I still have insomnia today (week 12).

My insomnia is a little better. However, I'm taking 150mg Trazodone which I started about a month ago and 20 mg CBD oil which I started about 1-1/2 weeks ago. To be honest, I've seen good improvement when I started to use the CBD oil and not so much from the Trazodone. I'm actually going to start reducing the Trazodone tonight. I can't say for sure if the improvement is the result of the Trazodone, the CBD, or if my body's actually healing. The only way to know is to start tapering the Trazodone and see how I do.

Everybody's body is different. I didn't have a choice other than to get off the Zyprexa quickly. Luckily, I have a very good Doctor. She's the one who told me to try the CBD and see if it helps and then reduce the Trazodone first of the two.

I was desperate to get sleep and to reduce the anxiety. I tried Ambien for sleep and Valium for anxiety. They didn't help so I stopped. The definite thing that helped me the most is/was a hard aerobic workout as recommended by my Doctor. She said your brain has to adjust to not having the chemicals controlling it's natural function. She said a good way to  speed up the process is to do hard aerobic exercising to start the natural release of endorphins. It helped me tremendously.

Good luck. You have to be really strong and dig deep to get through it.

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I am coming back to report in because I finished my Olanzapine/Zyprexa taper on Feb 22, 2018.  It is now October 11, 2018.  8 months!

Other than sleeping 3 hours, up an hour, then back to sleep for 2-3 hours, I seem to be doing fine.  NO depression.  I spent the whole time I was on Zyprexa fighting terrible melancholy.  I had no emotions.  I can now cry and feel happy, sad, angry....it's wonderful :)  That terrible craving for sweets and insatiable appetite is long gone.  I can't seem to lose the weight that Zyprexa put on me but I am not gaining either.  It is nice to have a normal appetite again.

The sleep seems to be what is taking a while to return to normal but my regular doctor remarked that at my age, sleep may always be like this for me.  I am 61 and he says that senior women, well past menopause, it is quite normal to sleep 3 hours, up an hour, back to bed.  Seems that as we age, it is harder to stay asleep for long lengths of time.  I feel well rested and I also take a small nap in the afternoon.  I am getting at least 7 hours of sleep a day.

Remember that I took well over 2 years to taper from 2.5 down to .625.  I don't feel that you can go too slowly.  I was also well aware that if I went too fast, I could induce symptoms that mimicked the mental illness.  I did that early on after my diagnosis and the result was having to go back on the medication, give it time to do its thing, and start the tapering process all over again.

follow

I will report again at one year.  I wasn't going to revisit this site but I swallowed my pride and decided that it was important that I follow up on my discontinuation and answer any questions about my taper.  When I began my taper, I could only find ONE story of a successful taper that was positive.  It scared me so badly to even try again.  Now, I would say, please do not be scared of coming off Zyprexa.  Done slowly and in small increments, in my experience it was not bad at all.  A year ago now, I had just started .625 every other day. (I know this site does not recommend skipping days but I was afraid to jump off at .625 and I could not cut any smaller).  Here, a year later, I have been off 8 months.  I am very proud of myself and my absolute dedication in going slow.

Best wishes to all :)

holly57

Jul 6 2017 - .625 mg/day

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news holly.  You have every right to be proud of yourself.  It's taken me 3 years to get from 100mg Pristiq to 6.5mg and it's going to take about another 2 years to get off.  It is very easy to get impatient and want it over and done with.  It takes determination, patience and perseverance.

Thank you for updating us.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the inspiration!! Congratulations on feeling well.

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

That freaking awesome Holly! My last dose was in March. I feel a lot better since getting off Zyprexa. However, my sleep patterns are very similar to yours. 

Other than being a little tired, I feel so much better. My underlying illness is still there, but I’d rather deal with those specific issues rather than all the other issues I had to deal with while taking Zyprexa. 

I recommend you start walking, get on a treadmill, elliptical, or do any aerobic exercise. Start very slow. The weight will slowly come off. I went through the same thing. 

Good luck

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD