If you find useful information here, please donate via PayPal. You don't have to be a member. Even $5 will help. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Using a digital scale to measure doses

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 JoLe

JoLe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

Measure precise amounts for controlled tapering with a digital electronic scale

JoLe Tapering off Cymbalta

This is the method I'm using. I'm not recommending it to anyone, I'm just delineating my methodology.

First I bought a bag of empty clear "1" gel caps. (They're the same size as my Cymbalta capsules, so later, when I lower the dose, I'm going to use half an original capsule and half a clear one, to differentiate the dosage.)

After I got frustrated with counting the grains in a capsule (because the numbers weren't the same from one capsule to the next), I bought this: Gemini-20 Portable Milligram Scale http://www.awscales....milligram-scale I chose this one because it weighs down to milligrams, I found it at a good price on Amazon, and the shipping was free. Anyone who wants to weigh dosages will need to be able to weigh milligrams.

I also use these tools:
A tray with sides (those little grains bounce!)
platter.JPG
A plate with sections
plate.JPG
The top of an eyedropper with the round part cut off
eyedropper.JPG
eyedropper2.JPG
eyedropperwithpill.JPG

And I have a face mask like they were giving out during the bird flu scare.

My first step was to weigh the grains in several capsules. They all weighed the same amount. So I divided that number in half (because right now all I'm doing is breaking 60mg capsules down to 30mg--the dosage I'm supposed to be on).

First I put the electronic scale on the tray and calibrate the scale. The instructions for calibrating are included with the scale. Then I put on my face mask, stick an empty capsule half in the eyedropper top and put it on the scale. There's a tare button on the scale that will remove that weight from the display.

Then I open a capsule and pour in some grains. The number I'm looking for is 115, so I stop anywhere between 100 and 110. After that I use tweezers (that come with the scale) to add grains.

It's very important to do this on a level surface, and to calibrate the scale each time I start. Because the scale weighs to such small amounts, even breathing on it can effect the weight, which is why I wear the face mask.

The numbers will go up and down for a few seconds, but once it's stabilized and I'm at the right number, I turn off the scale, take out the capsule, make sure there aren't any grains on the scale itself (I have missed getting them in the capsule), and snap on the other end.

Then I start over.

The reason I turn off the scale is that it has an auto-shut off feature, which I find annoying. If I don't turn it off, I don't have time to do another capsule before it shuts itself off.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask! I took pictures of my other equipment in case my descriptions weren't clear. I'm planning on buying a new tray, since there's a lot of white on the one I have, and those tiny, bouncy grains are white. Camouflaged little creeps!

Edited by Altostrata, 30 December 2011 - 12:46 PM.
added name of scale

I can call one or more psychiatrists crazy if they disagree with me. So can they. If I'm uncomfortable enough to do it, it's an insult. If they're uncomfortable enough to do it, it's a diagnosis, which gives them legal authority over precisely those aspects of my life about which we disagree. --Aaron Link Raz

Started at 30mg Cymbalta, which, including inactive ingredients, equals 114mg on my scale.
July 11, 2011: tapered down to 111mg.

#2 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

More tips on using the inexpensive electronic digital scale JoLe mentioned above, the Gemini-20 Portable Milligram Scale -- these from the comments on Amazon:

1) Let the scale stabilize on a hard, flat and level surface.
2) Make sure the sample tray is properly seated inside the circular indent of the scale's metal measuring platform. Take care that the sample tray (as provided) does not touch the body of the scale, grossly throwing off the measurement.
3) Tap the table that the scale is on to help everything settle.
4) Calibrate as described in the manual.
5) Place and remove materials to be weighed consistently and carefully - don't drop them. Even the slightest impact can throw off the measurement.
6) Wait for ten seconds or so for the sample to settle.
7) For minuscule samples, use the ten gram weight in addition to the sample to put the scale in the middle of its operating range. With a little care, one will get closer to the performance of a lab-grade milligram scale than anything else for this price.

NOTE: If you a looking for a digital scale that measures milligrams, it must measure to at least .001g. A milligram is 1/1000 of a gram.
A scale that measures to only 0.1g will not measure milligrams accurately.

Another reasonably priced digital scale that measures milligrams is the Grobet Precision Pocket Scale 10g x .001g Model 50.303, for about $55 here. I don't know how accurate or easy to use it might be. It's for weighing precious stones.

Edited by Altostrata, 20 May 2013 - 06:12 PM.
updated and expanded

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#3 Barbarannamated

Barbarannamated

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Ironic that we're discussing LEGAL drugs

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). 
CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormones

Litigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 
2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.

2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc). 

#4 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

Isn't it, though?
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#5 Shanti

Shanti

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

I've thought of this. I'm sitting here with a mirror, blade and digital scales chopping up my pills. I scrape them and it makes a fine powder. When I scrape the powder away it forms a "line" of powder. I've thought "My gawd if someone comes in here they'll think I'm doing cocaine".
Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.
Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)
My Paxil Website
My Intro

#6 Barbarannamated

Barbarannamated

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

Docs would understand and help with that problem.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). 

Litigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 
2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.

2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc). 

#7 Barbarannamated

Barbarannamated

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Perhaps a YOUTUBE vid...

#8 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Important note when weighing tablets and capsules: They contain filler

You will find, when you weigh a tablet or capsule, that the weight in milligrams is more that the dosage in milligrams. A 25mg tablet of Effexor weighs more than 25mg.

25mg means there's 25mg of active ingredient in the tablet, it's not the weight of the tablet.

All tablets and capsules have filler in them, that's why they weigh more on the scale.

Use a percentage, as Jole does up above, to calculate how much to take by weight.

For example, if you want to take 10mg of Effexor, it would be 40% of a 25mg tablet by weight (10 divided by 25 = .40 or 40%). Multiply the percentage by the weight of the whole tablet. If the tablet weighs 100mg before you cut it, you would want to 40% of it, or 40mg by weight.

A lot of people would crush the tablet into powder so they can measure these fine gradations in weight.

Nice big gelatin capsules (sizes 00 or 0) will help you deal with the powder. The capsule size doesn't have to be the same as your initial capsule of medication. Unless you have the fingers of a pygmy loris,pygmy loris.png it's easier to handle the larger capsule sizes and get the powder into them.

#9 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Question: I would like to take 70mg of Effexor, which is 5 mg less than the 75mg I am now taking. How would I calculate the scale weight of a 70mg dosage to be taken from a 75mg tablet?

Answer: It's easier to calculate weight by using a percentage. Use a desktop calculator or the calculator on your computer.

(Usually we start with a percentage we want to decrease, such as 5% or 10%.)

1. Determine the percentage of your current dose that you want to take. If you want to drop by 5%, you'll be taking 95% of a tablet. If you want to drop by 10%, you'd take 90% of a tablet.

In this case, 70mg is 93.3% of 75mg (70 divided by 75), or a decrease of 6.67%.

2. Weigh your 75mg tablet. It will be more than 75mg because it contains filler, binder, etc. (75mg means it contains 75mg of the active ingredient, Effexor.)

3. Let's say your tablet weighs 105mg. Multiply that by 93.3% and you get 98mg, which will contain 70mg of Effexor.

4. Weigh out 98mg with your digital scale.

Keep extra tablet fragments in a clean medicine container, labeled with the dosage (example, 75mg). You may wish to use them later when your doses get smaller.

Question: How can I convert between grams, milligrams, etc.?

See this Unit Conversion Calculator http://easycalculati...ght-factors.php

Edited by Altostrata, 20 May 2013 - 05:51 PM.
updated and expanded

#10 InNeedOfHope

InNeedOfHope

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have ordered some scales. I just want to see what people think of my idea for weighing. I can't put the beads back in the capsule have tried that and it is too tricky. I currently take out 134 beads, there are around 292 in a capsule. Some of the beads look stuck together some look like pin pricks. I work this out to around 16.2mg as 10 beads =9.73mg. or 1mg = 9.73 beads, my mind wont work right now but I've worked it out loads and had it checked at the beginning. I intend to weigh 134 beads and see what they weigh, i will do that each day for a week, then i will average out what this comes to. My intention is to then use this weight (not beads) as an indication of what to remove each week. I am worried that as I am getting lower the inaccuracy of fillers etc and ingredients is showing up, more and more, hence the worsening of symtoms. I might need some advice when they arrive even after all the reading on here.
Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day
Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)
Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg
November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg
February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg
March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)
March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.
26th June - 26mg
3rd July - 25mg
17th July - 24mg
24th July - 23mg
7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall
24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.
8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)
8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.
15th Jan 17.4mg
21st Jan 17.2mg

#11 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

You may wish to put the tiny doses you weigh out with the digital scale into gelatin capsules, see

Using gelatin capsules to divide doses

#12 Daisy

Daisy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hi, This might be old news...but you can order empty gelatin capsules in different sizes on Amazon.com
Started with Prozac mid 1980's then stopped
On Elavil for less than a year late 1980's
On and off Paxil 1990's and 2000's
Switched to Effexor XR from Paxil 2005
Went through my first Paxil W/D 2005. CT by MD for 3 days
Effexor XR 75mg daily, then 75mg every 8 hours
Switched to 150mg Effexor XR d/t insurance issues
CT 150mg Effexor XR 2/15/12 thru 2/21/12
2/22/12 restarted Effexor XR at 75mg, then rapid taper to 0mg in 32 days
W/D symptoms came back at 0 mg
Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg
Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12
Xanax 0.25-0.50mg QD

#13 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thanks, EWF. Just wanted to note: Get LARGE gelatin capsules (size 000 or 00), they will be easier for you to handle and to fill. You only need to fill them part way.

#14 Gladstone

Gladstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

I found the scale somebody suggested on Amazon for 20 bucks. What a relief. Hopefully I can get an appt with a new psych doc (I just filled out a new patient request online) who can work with me as I work with my husband (a science whiz) to work with this new scale.

And, just because I find it so amusing: my current dose is one and one half of 10 mg lexapro. Those pills are the exact same size as the one and one half traquilizers I have to give our 45 pound dog during the Fourth of July fireworks and extreme thunderstorms. I think my butt weighs as much as our dog and yet our meds are exactly the same size. I think that's a hoot.
Zoloft 50--100mgs Oct 98 through Oct 06.
4 week taper with every WD symptom then crash.
Dec. 06 went on 20mgs lexapro
July 2012 15mg
August 10 mgs
Sept 5 mgs
Began using scale to taper
Oct. .18 mgs
Nov. .16 mgs
Dec. .15 mgs
Jan. .14 mgs
Feb. .13mgs

#15 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hi Someone has contacted me because they are wanting to taper off Prozac by breaking open the capsules and weighing the powder, doctors won't prescribe liquid and we've been through all the options for this. Can anyone recommend some accurate scales? she has already ordered one set of scales which turned out to be useless. This friend is in the UK not sure if that will make a difference, if it's something off Amazon it'll be fairly universal I would think. Strawberry

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/

Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. Been on the antidepressant merry go round since November 1998.

#16 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Why, we have a recommendation right here in this topic!

#17 jr1985

jr1985

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationBelfast, UK

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hi

Someone has contacted me because they are wanting to taper off Prozac by breaking open the capsules and weighing the powder, doctors won't prescribe liquid and we've been through all the options for this. Can anyone recommend some accurate scales? she has already ordered one set of scales which turned out to be useless. This friend is in the UK not sure if that will make a difference, if it's something off Amazon it'll be fairly universal I would think.

Strawberry

This is the one I use, it seems fine - http://www.amazon.co...46790326&sr=8-1
2003-2005: Paroxetine
2006-2009: Citalopram
2009-2011: Effexor
Aug/Sept 11: Fast tapered Effexor to Mirtazapine
Oct: C/T Mirtazapine after bad reaction and back on Effexor
Nov/Dec: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell
5/2/12: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg
20/2/12: Updosed to 75mg
9/3/12: Dropped to 37.5mg
30/4/12: Dropped 10% to 33.8mg
1/5/12: Updosed to 37.5mg
4/5/12 Dropped 5% to 35.6mg
19/6/12: Dropped 2.5%
23/6/12: Updosed to 35.6mg
29/6/12: Updosed to 37.5mg
30/6/12: Dropped to 35.6mg

#18 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Oh thanks I'm sorry I totally missed that!

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. Been on the antidepressant merry go round since November 1998.

#19 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

OK so I hope someone can help with this one, a friend is embarking on breaking open Prozac capsules and weighing the powder. Her first cut is 39mg, her scales measure in 0.000g. What should she be weighing?

#20 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

She should
  • Empty a full Prozac capsule on the scale, note the weight. Example: 62.4mg (I have no idea how much the capsule contents weigh.)
  • Figure out her desired dosage as a proportion (percentage) of the full Prozac capsule dosage. Example: 39mg out of a 40mg capsule (39/40) = .975
  • Multiply the proportion times the weight. Example: .975 x 62.4mg = 60.84mg
  • Measure out 60.84mg as her dose

#21 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for that info Alto, there seemed to be a lot of confusion about whether to weigh the actual capsule as well, I had no idea. Liquid Prozac is SO much easier.

#22 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

You wouldn't weigh the capsule, you'd throw it away before taking the fractional dose. Weighing it would confuse the calculations. A liquid preparation is somewhat easier to use.

#23 primrose

primrose

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Locationchippenham UK

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

I have three questions please and some benzo information as I have a bit of benzo knowledge due to being on a taper for three years and counting

The questions

What do you use to transfer tiny bits of "pill-powder" from the scale to the capsule?

I cannot afford those scales mentioned and would like to know, would a cheaper scale that measures 0.001g be sufficient?

When the batteries run out on the scales, so they start deteriorating, or do they just switch off?

Thanks

Benzo free after doing a daily cut, feeling great.
Trazdone - 300mg (100mg 3 x a day)
Quetiapine(seroquel) 25mg a day. Was on 100mg.

#24 areyouthere

areyouthere

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Locationmidwest

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

I have three questions please and some benzo information as I have a bit of benzo knowledge due to being on a taper for three years and counting

The questions

What do you use to transfer tiny bits of "pill-powder" from the scale to the capsule?

I use the very small cup cake or candy cups that you can get in most grocery stores. You have to zero the scale with the cup on it to be the most accurate.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone
1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.
b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]
2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax
November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b
Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax
My mantra " go slow & with the flow "
3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13  3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms. 

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

#25 music321

music321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

this scale has an accuracy of 1mg, and this is what the manufacturer says. for dealing with doses of 10mg or less, you'd be off by at least 10%. At 5 mg you'd be off by 20%.

#26 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

See http://survivinganti...dpost__p__13379 for calibration tips.

#27 primrose

primrose

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Locationchippenham UK

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have tested all of the surfaces in my home with a carpenters spirit level, and none of them are level. Does this mean that scales are not an option for me? Also, according to http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01224, seroquel is only moderately soluble in water, does this mean that the water method is not an option also for me? If both of the above are not an option, how will I taper my seroquel? Thanks

#28 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Seroquel comes in a liquid.

#29 primrose

primrose

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Locationchippenham UK

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Seroquel comes in a liquid.

Hi, thanks, but my doctors practice does not do the liquid.
Today, I put a 25mg seroquel tablet in a jar with 50ml of water to make a suspension.
If I cannot get the liquid seroquel from my doctors practice, would it be ok to draw off the excess seroquel suspension using a syringe, or will this be too inaccurate.

Your advice is appreciated.

#30 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

See Tapering off Seroquel
and How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

#31 primrose

primrose

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Locationchippenham UK

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

See Tapering off Seroquel
and How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Thank you very much, I will have a look at those.

#32 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Moderators
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi everyone, I'm wanting to purchase a good quality digital scale that will allow me to accurately measure my dosages. I've made a few poor choices (cheap Chinese versions) which didn't work or which showed inaccurate results each time. You get what you pay for! Now I have no idea where to go so I don't get burnt a third time. Can anybody recommend something that would be available to be shipped to Australia? Something that would allow me to titrate and measure in mg? Thanks in advance
July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
Hoping for some quality sleep soon!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

#33 peggy

peggy

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

i am interested in this too
Started Effexor in 1998 or 1999 - can't remember which!
On 150mg most of the time.
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - got depressed again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times.
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg

#34 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Hi you two I found this thread, I knew I'd seen this subject come up here before, Alto has some suggestions at post #2 for digital scales, I haven't checked where they ship to though.

#35 strawberry17

strawberry17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSuffolk U.K

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Doh!! it would've helped if I'd linked to the thread LOL http://survivinganti...-measure-doses/

#36 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Moderators
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thanks so much Strawberry!
July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
Hoping for some quality sleep soon!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******