SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

JoLe

Hi all

Not happy with the 2 scale I bought smart weigh only had it for a few weeks going up and down at times only by 0.01 most times and 0.05 only 2 times so far. But I want it perfect any ideas what the best scale would be. Don't worry about the cost as my health is vital.

Cheers

Currently suffer extreme CFS, Lyme, adrenal fatigue, bad gut issues, reaction bad to mold basically etc home a lot. Can hardly walk all I get crash easily. 
I’m currently on mirtizapine 1.7mg and Reboxetine 0.4mg. I did a cut on reboxetine on the 19/4/20 around 11%. 
Also taking Ativan since January 2mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi all

Not happy with the 2 scale I bought smart weigh only had it for a few weeks going up and down at times only by 0.01 most times and 0.05 only 2 times so far. But I want it perfect any ideas what the best scale would be. Don't worry about the cost as my health is vital.

Cheers

I successfully tapered 2 meds (not at the same time) over the past 4 years using the directions on this forum for making a liquid.  Liquid preparations are generally more accurate, simpler, and less of a headache to prepare.  Go to the upper right hand corner and enter 'liquid' into the search for this thread.. you will find a lively and informative discussion on the pros and cons of both options.  

You seem to have an aversion to making your own liquid which is not based on any real world experience. Perhaps it's time for you to give this method a try to see if it works better for you.  As you are probably aware, among forum members, making a liquid suspension is much more popular than using a scale.  This for some of the very reasons you have described above.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I checked on the scale listed in post #1 of this thread. For those still looking to buy the scale, it's now listed on Amazon as the American Weigh Scales Gemini G-20 Portable Scale.

A risk with that scale and others available for less than 1,000 USD: It is probably not sufficiently precise for measuring pharmaceutical doses.

Explanation

Measurement systems have several important characteristics, among them accuracy and precision or repeatability. Although we sometimes use those two words interchangeably in everyday language, they have different meanings here.

Accuracy is the ability of the scale to weigh the true value.  

Precision/Repeatability is the ability of the scale to yield the same result (weight) when the exact same item is measured under the same conditions.

For clarity, view the diagrams (the "bullseyes") on the Scale Terminology page of American Weigh Scales (AWS) site. They illustrate the difference between the two concepts.

We want scales to have both high accuracy and high repeatability/precision. Inaccurate scales can be calibrated. Insufficient repeatability/precision is a more challenging problem to address and likely out of our hands with these consumer scales.

The AWS Gemini G-20 specifications page details many characteristics of the scale, including readability and repeatability.  Readability refers to the smallest unit that can be read on the digital display. The G-20 can measure 0.001g or 1mg. The repeatabilty is ±2d; this means ±2 of the smallest unit that can be read. 

You may be asking -- if you've read this far -- "So what?"  Well, this means that we could weigh what we think is 500 mg of a supplement powder several times and get different results: 501mg, 498 mg, 500 mg.  As someone tapering Cymbalta, I could also weigh beads from a capsule to achieve a 10 mg dose several times and get 11 mg, 8 mg and 10 mg.  See the problem for anyone with a sensitized central nervous system? Especially as one reaches the end of a taper?  Join me in a sigh or a favourite curse word.

To get the precision we might want, we'd have to buy a commercial/pharma grade scale well over 1000 USD, 20-25 times the cost of the scales on Amazon.  Again, feel free to sigh and/or curse.

I had hoped the weighing would save the time and tedium involved in counting beads. Making a liquid is one solution. :D :rolleyes: Cymbalta beads, however, are enteric-coated and lose efficacy if dissolved into liquid. If you're using Effexor XR check whether the beads are enteric-coated; they may be.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do to address this.  I'll post what I come up with both in the Tips for tapering off Cymbalta thread and in my Introduction thread.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Skyler,

I just read your post about liquid tapering versus using a digital scale.  I have been hesitant to bring this up because I know it may open up a whole can of worms that in the past has not been received so well...(elsewhere)

I see how successful you were w/ similar drug history and liquid tapering.

So here it is...6 or 7 years ago, when I stopped dry-cutting and became a micro-taperer, I tried a couple things.  First I had my pharmacist make up a solution for me which was a HUGE hassle. Because of my extreme sensitivity, I have to use name brand instead of generic, so I had to get the name brand valium from the big-box pharmacy and take it to the compounding pharmacist and was treated as though I was a criminal or something.  I got very sick almost immediately from this solution, even w/o cutting anything...just letting my body adjust to the solution. Perhaps I was sick from the medium he dissolved it in.

So then I thought, what the heck, and tried dropping my whole dose in water and drinking the whole amount (after it dissolved).  I felt immediate, extreme w/d effects.  Of course, no one believes me that this isn't/wasn't psychological, but I had no reason to believe that ingesting the whole dose in water would make any difference but it did.  I am ultra-sensitive to any change at all and I think this changed my absorption rate?  So I resorted to the less expensive digital scale.

I read here, though, that you believe liquid tapering is much more accurate.  Here comes the opening of Pandora's Box....and I have been spurned and laughed at before on other forums over this inability to tolerate the liquid tapering, so I am skittish...

My husband (former chemistry teacher) and I, (no science credentials just logic) both  agree that since the valium (for instance) doesn't dissolve in the water, so it is a suspension, not a solution, so when withdrawing any amount it is questionable how much of the active ingredient is being withdrawn?  I know you must stir it and withdraw it efficiently, but it sure seems that this leaves more room for margin of error than a scale.  

I do know most people here are successful at water tapering which is why I am hesitant to post this question.  I don't want to cast a shadow of doubt on anyone who is doing okay with liquid tapering.  I can't help but wonder if there is still something I am missing to this question of liquid vs. scale micro-tapering?

The thing is, I am making little to no progress (even my withdrawal normal has me nearly bed-ridden), and I feel as though I have tried everything and I am getting sicker and sicker....I just read this whole thread on digital scales and your comment gave me the courage to open up this discussion.  If it can be found elsewhere on this forum, I will be happy to go there.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

LovingSupport posted:

Here's what we are using (both ordered from Amazon):

1) Now Foods Veg-Capsules Double "00" Empty Capsules

http://www.amazon.co... Empty Capsules

2) 1.5 " Darice Heavy Duty Plastic Mini Funnel, 2 pc per Pack (The opening at the narrow end measures 1/16-inch)

http://www.amazon.co..., 2 pc per Pack

They fit like "hand and glove", and make it REALLY EASY to pour beads into the empty capsules.

I found a similar item on ebay (don't know how long the link will stay good, but my search phrase on ebay was "mini funnel")  http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-Mini-Small-Transparent-Plastic-Perfume-Liquid-Oil-Bottle-Funnels-/361462803713?hash=item5428dcad01:g:pjUAAOSwYHxWHyVA

10 for $1.10, free shipping.

It's handy to have more than one in my case, because sometimes I'm weighing herbs, and sometimes lithium orotate, and sometimes ginger powder - don't want to get herbs in my lithium or vice versa!

Other scale notes:  turn off the A/C or fans, that can really get in your way.

I put a nickel under the weighing tray, it is flat, and easier to use than putting the 10g weight on the tiny weigh plate.  It might even be more accurate with a heavier coin, like an Aussie dollar, or a US quarter.  I don't like putting the 10g weight on the weigh plate - it gives the powder more surfaces to adhere to.  A coin sits UNDER the plate, and never touches the medium I am weighing.

Soon, I will post the wooden thing hubby built me for filling capsules.  Cheap and dirty, it does the trick.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

First, the funnels I got for 11 cents apiece on ebay - fit both O and OO capsules:

Capsulesfit00_0_zps7xzmrmkp.jpg

The one on the left is 0 and the one on the right is 00 (they are pretty close in size)  I think I prefer the 0's,  they fit more neatly in my tray, and are as easy (for me) to work with as O's.

I bought some 3's and they are useless, as they don't fit the funnel.  So I use it for "scooping" up herbs or clay or yogurt starter.

Here is my handy dandy filling tray.  We started by drilling holes for the 3's, and it turned out to be a failure - as you can't use 3's on the tray.  There is one in the middle just to show size.  (he could drill them out a little bit more for holding "lids" of the gelcaps more steadily.

On the left is the 0, and on the right is the 00.

As you can see, this was easy for anyone to make - I could've made it (but hubby was faster and more precise.

Click on it to see the writing.

Capsule%20filling%20tray_zpsfu0umfgd.jpg

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...

I am new to using a scale for measuring powder medications in milligrams. I found this site when searching for information on how to accurately do this.

I have ordered a medication called sodium dichloroacetate from www.pharma-dca.com . There are other sites that sell this but after communicating with the different companies I felt this one was more on the level.

I will be medicating my dog who has lymphoma. This medication needs to be dosed accurately to avoid unwanted side effects. Dosing can range so I may need something that will weigh smaller amts in milligrams.

I have found the scale on Amazon that is referenced quite a bit on this thread. Then I looked up the difference of a scale vs a balance. Again this is all new to me and I am trying to be as educated as possible.

I cannot afford an expensive scale. Ironically the companies that sell sodium dichloroacetate sell a scale on their sites but after a little reading, I realize their scales they are offering are not what I am looking for.

I will be looking to put the powder into the capsule maybe finding a glass small holder for the capsule, (I am reading plastic can sometimes be an issue bc of static?) then place the capsule in the glass holder upright- tare the scale, and spoon the powder into the capsule using my smallest incremental spoon I have.

The powder is sensitive to oxygen so I have to do this in a way to not expose all the powder to the air everyday. I believe I ordered a 100g bottle.

Any guidance on how to do this as accurately and safely as possible without spending a small fortune on a balance or a scale is appreciated.

I realize this is not discussing an actual antidepressant med but I am hoping I can gain some insight anyways just because we are talking about accurately weighing a medication. Unfortunately when I search the Internet for info on this I get a lot of sites that are for drug users recreationally using, no judgement on that I just am concerned about the info being accurate and reliable.

If anyone knows scales/balances, it is me! After researching thoroughly prior to my taper, I learned that the only accurate balances are the analytical ones that measure at least @ 0.00001g. In that range, the prices usually start at $1200, which, I realize, is out of range for many, but unfortunately, as with anything else, you get what you pay for, and since we're talking one's health, I wasn't going to compromise and just budgeted it as if I were repairing my car or getting a new computer.

Here's the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Analytical-Balance-Internal-Calibration-Milligram/dp/B00TIWNW5Q?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

There may be others that measure in the mg range that are <$1000 you can find by doing a search, but again, accuracy does not come cheap. You might be able find some great deals on your local craigslist also. I sold my first balance (only a 0.0001g) I purchased for $650 for $500 on craigslist and it was brand new.  I also have the cheap $20 scale that many use for tapering, but I never use it since my cuts need to be more precise being in such tiny increments. Hope that helps.

CURRENT Rx SUMMARY:

1) Clonazepam: started @ 1.0mg (0.5mg b.i.d.) 10-31-14; commenced step-wise dry-cut microtaper 08-09-15; @ ~ 0.625mg b.i.d. as of 09-08-19.
2) Lamictal: started @ 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14 ; holding @ 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
3) Carvedilol (antihypertensive): 6.25mg b.i.d.

4) Telmisartan (antihypertensive): 80mg q.d. 

5) Xarelto (anticoagulant): 10mg q.d.

6) NP Thyroid (dessicated thyroid replacement): 1.50 grain q.d.

7) Supplements (not updated): https://app.box.com/s/ucrx0b4b46slp8j8gzox

Thank you Brass monkey.

The pan resembles a small bowl and you are saying to place the calibration weight in the weighing pan, can I then place something that will hold the capsule upright... And then spoon the powder into the capsule. It's one less step and avoids wasting medication.

I went on the American weigh site and the my weigh site to look at the scales and balances offered. The American weigh company has their jewelers scale under a diff section than the balances, but in looking at it, it does do almost the same as some of the balances. It seems to me though...

Weighing 4 mg is a pretty good scale I would think, if you feel it accurately accomplishes that I am impressed.

Did you check your surfaces with a level before using one? Do you stand on an antistatic matt and place the scale on one also? Or is that overkill? As far as temp affecting accuracy, I'm in NJ and it's hot hear right now, will prob weigh in kitchen which we do not have a window unit so it's warm in there...should I be concerned about that ?

I work on my drawing table and haven't had a problem with the surface being a little out of level.  Any kitchen counter will be level enough to work. Static electricity shouldn't be a problem, but if the powder starts sticking to things more that usual a simple ground strap to your wrist should be enough. The Gemini-20 is designed for a working temperature range of 50 - 86 deg,F above and below that there may be some fluctuation but not enough to matter. The window unit would cause more trouble with the air currents it creates that the temperature would.

Trying to weigh directly into the capsule would be very frustrating. It is necessary to add and subtract small amounts of powder to hit the correct dose.  Getting powder out of the capsule would be very hard.  If you reuse the Post-it note each time there will be a bit of powder that sticks to it the first time which would be lost, but subsequent uses won't loose any.   The additional step of dumping the pan onto the Post-it is so quick it will more than make up for the fiddling with the capsule on the pan. As for spillage, by folding the Post-it you can funnel the powder easily into the capsule and working over a cover sheet will save any spillage. Of the many hundreds of doses I've made up, I can only remember spilling two.

The dose weight of active ingredient and the weight of the powder you weigh out will be different because they are not selling you a pure medication.  There is always some sort of filler involved.  For me, I grind up 40mg paxil tablets that weigh 500mg each.  So I get .08mgai (active ingredient for each 1mgpw (pill weight).  This is how I am able to measure the tiny dose (0.42mgai) that I'm currently taking.  The same will be true for the medication you will be weighing, just your numbers will be different.  So a scale that can weigh 4mg will be quite adequate. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

BrassMonkey thank you again for responding. Do you find any powder waste with using the pan then to the post it? with the calibration weight being in the pan at the same time you are putting the medication in the pan, does any get on the weight? the medication I purchased came with a cert of analysis which states the powder is 99.2% pure. do i need to measure medication weight and subtract the filler? or is the 0.8% such a small amt that it is not necessary?

That's the one.

I would just weigh out the exact dose that's specified and not worry about the 0.8%

This is the one time being clean doesn't help.  Get a little drug powder on the weight, the pan and the Post-it.  Tap off the excess and leave the rest alone. This will allow for consistent measuring with out loss.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Brass monkey my scale arrived. It's the Gemini 20 but when I got through the modes here are my opinions ... Grams ounces grains pennyweight carat and Troy ounce... No mg.. Do I have a different scale than you have? I thought you said you weigh in mg on yours

You should use the gram setting. It will read to 3 decimal places, 0.001, which will be 1mg.

• 1 month later...

Hi I just want to check if this scale would be suitable to purchase please?  http://www.awscales.com/portable-precision-scales-01-gram/247-geminipro-digital-milligram-scale

Thanks Boomer

Effexor Brand changed over to Enlafax XR sometime during the first three months of 2017.
Reduced to 12.5mg Olanzapine, last reduction 25/4/17  on advice from PDoc to reduce the severe Akathesia, Panick Attacks and other disabling symptoms.  7/4/17 Propronolol @ 40mg  x 3 times per day increasing as required.  160mg Slow Release x 3 times per day for disabling Panic Attacks.   15/5/17 medication mix up, somewhere prior Mirtazapine increased to 60mg per day. PDoc concerned of Seratonin Syndrome reduced to 30mg per day.  21/6/17 Effexor 37.5mg  reduced.  22/8/17 Mirtazapine reduced 15mg. 14/9/17 Developed GERD added 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x1 Ferrous Fumarate, 17/9/17 Propranolol dosage between 320mg to 400mg 3 to 4x per every second day for disabling Panic Attacks.  17/9/17 Current Medication: 12.5mg Olanzapine, 187.5mg Enlafax XR, 15mg Mirtazpine, Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 pd, Propranolol 320mg to 400mg x 3 or 4 x perday. 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x 1 Ferrous Fumarate  29/9/17 Propranolol  Slow Release 160mg x 3pd, Propranolol 120mg x 3 pd = 840mg per day.  9/10/17 Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 per day, Propranolol 80mg x 3 per day = 720mg per day.  Increased 10/9/17 Propranolol 840mg per day. 14/10/17 Reduced Mirtazapine to13.5mg 18/10/17 Removed Mirtazpine 13.5mg  23/10/17 Reducing Propranolol by 10mg every second day down to 400mg per day. 13/12/17 Now at 400mg Propranolol per day - holding.  20/12/17 Reduced Olanzapine by 10% to 11.25mg.  21/1/18: Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg    Reducing Propranolol by 10mg per week.  8/3/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg . 6/4/18 Reduced .625mg Olanzapine. 4/5/18 Reduced .625 Olanzapine  31/5/18 Changed from Propranolol 160 SR to Propranolol 160. 8/6/18 Morning Olanzapine changed to wafer and reduced by .10mg. 15/6/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .10mg per week Current Medication:  8.345mg Olanzapine; 187.50 Enlafax SR;  Propranolol 55mg x 4 per day.  Minimum 30mins exercise per day.  Fortisip x 2 per day. 

6/7/18 Admitted to Hospital with Chronic Aspiration Pneumonia - medications reduced.  8/11/18 Effexor XR 75mg morning and 37.5mg evening, Madopar Rapid 62.5mg x 4 per day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Boomer - that scale will be fine. It has the same resolution (measures to 0.001 mg) as the one Gemini 20 (consumer model) that others are using.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

I have been using the Gemini scale for my Effexor tapering. I've been researching scales that can read .0001. Are these scales

able to read tinier amounts than the .001 Gemini? My doctor said I should not do liquid as I am very sensitive however I need to taper with tinier cuts now that I am under 9mg of Effexor. Also I take both the beads XR and tablets immediate release. The tablets have gotten so small that it is hard to cut. I am having wds symptoms on every cut that I make. Or should I save my money and take longer holds?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Hi Lexy-- save your money.  To get a decent .0001 scale will cost you many thousands of dollars and trying to weigh doses that fine will drive you nutz. Instead of cutting the IR tablets I would suggest crushing them and weighing the powder.  That makes it a lot easier to work with.  Get some "0" gel caps to put the powder in.

Your signature indicates that you've taking larger than 10% cuts (BTW please update your sig.). That could account for the WD symptoms. Having some symptoms with every cut is going to happen.  The object is to keep them as mild as possible.  Do your symptoms resolve to a steady state before you do each cut? That would indicate that the hold length is working as is.

Thanks brassmonkey

I will save my money and try weighing the powder. The problem is how do I weigh such small amount? On the IR I'm at 3.5mg the rest on XR. The scale doesn't read under 3mg.

I will update my signature month to month.

Let me know if I should ask these questions on my intro.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

You have to take into account the filler in the tablet.  So a 3.5mg dose is going to weigh more than 3.5mg.

To figure the amount you need to weigh out we will need to know the average weight of the tablet and the dose weight for a full tablet from the bottle.

Average weight of one 25mg immediate release venlafaxine is .100g.

Currently I'm at 3.50mg of IR Ven which weighs .14g

I weighed a tiny piece of tablet with the weight that comes with scale; it weighed .101g does that mean it's .25 of one mg?

Would that be accurate to weigh pill with the weight on the scale.

Without the weight it is not possible to measure anything below .08g which is 2mg of ven if I'm correct.

Thanks for your help. I just need to plan ahead when I do get to that point of my taper. Im already stressing on that.

No need to stress about it Lexy. by the time you get there weighing doses will be boring. lol

Yes, having the weight on the scale will help make it more accurate.  You can either subtract out the weight or press the "tare" button to zero the scale.

There appear to be a couple of typos in the numbers you posted in the first paragraph.  Would you please double check them.

lol I kept checking over and barely found typo.

.14g should b .014g

.08 should be .008g

• 6 months later...

When weighing Effexor XR beads should we not use the itty bitty ones? Are they just filler?

• Moderator Emeritus

As far as we know, the itty-bitty beads have the same composition as the larger ones.

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

hi

i buy scale and always Measure my meds but they become powder so how will i take them?

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
now tappering escitelpharm
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

The easiest way to handle the powder is to but a big bag of size "0" gel caps. You then weigh out the amount of powder you need for your dose and pour it into the gel cap. Close the gel cap and you're all set.

7 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

The easiest way to handle the powder is to but a big bag of size "0" gel caps. You then weigh out the amount of powder you need for your dose and pour it into the gel cap. Close the gel cap and you're all set.

Will the substance be absorbed in the body?
And if I do not want to buy a capsule, can I swallow powder?

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

You can but the taste is really disgusting. Some people mix it with orange juice, but you risk losing some of the dose that way.

12 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

You can but the taste is really disgusting. Some people mix it with orange juice, but you risk losing some of the dose that way.

so why on liquid you dont losing  does that way?

35 years old single
with ocd and anixety
15 years on ssri
20/6-2.8 mg escitalpharm

• Moderator Emeritus

A tiny amount of a liquid dose is lost because a small amount of liquid sticks to the sides of the glass or syringe.  If you are doing this everyday, there will be no problem because you are taking the same dose every day. 

After putting the weighed powder in orange juice and drinking the liquid as brassmonkey suggested, you could add some water to the just-used almost-empty container, swirl the water around with what was leftover and take that.

Note: this conversation may be moved to the topic on Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

scallywag's Introduction

• 5 weeks later...

Hello every-body 

Am just wondering what I could use to line my tray on my scale please?Am going to be crushing diazpam up,an I don't know how to get the powder off the little tray..

any ideas how I transfer the powder into the capsules please?

thank you 

pink 

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

On the tray that comes with the Gemini scale, there's a little triangular funnel-like thing along part of the outer edge of the tray.  This is good for pouring the powder into the capsule.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...

Hi,  I need help with the weighing of tablets.  I originally used tablets, then switched to liquid but as I have come down, I don't know how much of the medication I am getting and I think it is

So I decided to switch to a scale and bought the Gemini 20-portable Milligram Scale.  

First of all the choice of measurements is confusing to me: gram, oz, ozt (troy oz) dwt (penny weight), ct (carat), gn (grain)

I think I should be using the ozt measurement because when I weigh my 25mg lamictal tablet, it comes up as 27. 

So, currently I am a16mgs of Lamictal.  I don't know how to do this with the scale. 

Do I just cut up my 25mg tablet and place the pieces into the tray till it weighs 16mg? 

Thanks. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, Hibari said:

First of all the choice of measurements is confusing to me: gram, oz, ozt (troy oz) dwt (penny weight), ct (carat), gn (grain)

I think I should be using the ozt measurement because when I weigh my 25mg lamictal tablet, it comes up as 27. 

So, currently I am a16mgs of Lamictal.  I don't know how to do this with the scale. 

Do I just cut up my 25mg tablet and place the pieces into the tray till it weighs 16mg? 

You will need to use gram because this is what mg (milligrams) is.

The tablet contains 25mg of the drug Lamictal (lamotrigine).  The tablet will weigh more because it has fillers in it.  To get a more accurate weight of a single tablet, weight a larger quantity of tablets and then divide the number of milligrams by the number of tablets.

Please do not use the figures below, they are an example only:

Once you have the weight of one tablet you will need to divide that by 25mg.  So as an example if the tablet weighs 30mg and the dose of the tablet is 25mg, divide 30 by 25.  Each 1.2mg of tablet weight will contain 1mg dose of drug.  Now multiply 1.2mg (tablet weight) x 15 (wanted dose) = 21.6mg tablet weight that you need to measure on the scale. 

Tapering Calculator - Download

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Chessie, I appreciate the clarity.

Hibari

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy