SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Goldy: Reduced Zoloft too fast?

Goldy

• Administrator

With any luck, this will be a neurologist who has seen drug withdrawal syndromes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goldy

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• alexjuice

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Just got back from the neurologist. The appointment made me very angry because he basically said that my convulsive symptoms, facial tics, and anything else that could be neurological is pretty much all in my head. He did say he couldn't find anything wrong with me neurogically, which I'm happy about. But it made me so pissed off how he kept saying I need to take my "medicine" (AD's and Benzos), and trust in physciatry-- When I said that flat out, "No, I am getting off the drugs, They made everything worse." He looked at me like I was just a confused, sad little person :mad: and made it clear he didn't think I'd ever be able to come off the drugs.

He said most of the symtoms should go away once I work on the "root cause" of the symptoms- the issues "underlying" my depression and anxiety-- and the hyperventilation that results from them. I felt like a stupid hypochondriac walking out of that office.

I guess he's right that I worry too much about my health and withdrawal, etc. The appointment has me questioning what is all in my head and is psychosomatic or due to hyperventilation and what is a genuine side effect/withdrawal effect :wacko: ..

Uggghhhhhhhhh.

Goldy's (18yr old) history:

07-08: Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta--All withdrawn abrubtly. Only had bad w/d symptoms from Cymbalta. 08-'11- Prescribed Geodon, took until October '11, gradually withdrawn randomly from 120mg-70mg , naturopath helped w/d the rest with GF diet and neuroscience :/.

09-now: Lorazepam, doctor ct'ed from 3mg in Oct '11 until Dec '11 [HORRID!], reinstated to 3mg.

Zoloft: overstimulation effects on dec 20th '11, naturopath ct'ed it, reinstated to 25mg

Now: Suffering terrible symptoms continously from 08-now, now on 20mg Zoloft, 3mg Ativan.

-PLEASE HELP ME FIND A DOC! PM ME.-

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1601-goldy-reduced-zoloft-too-fast/page__gopid__15777

• Administrator

Sorry, Goldy, that's the usual response from any doctor.

They don't recognize iatrogenic damage from psychiatric drugs. There's too much at stake, namely, the entire profession of psychiatry, which depends on unrestricted prescription of anything they can think of.

It's not you, it's them. It's very insulting that they always blame the patient and not the drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hey everyone,

Just got back from the neurologist. The appointment made me very angry because he basically said that my convulsive symptoms, facial tics, and anything else that could be neurological is pretty much all in my head. He did say he couldn't find anything wrong with me neurogically, which I'm happy about. But it made me so pissed off how he kept saying I need to take my "medicine" (AD's and Benzos), and trust in physciatry-- When I said that flat out, "No, I am getting off the drugs, They made everything worse." He looked at me like I was just a confused, sad little person :mad: and made it clear he didn't think I'd ever be able to come off the drugs.

He said most of the symtoms should go away once I work on the "root cause" of the symptoms- the issues "underlying" my depression and anxiety-- and the hyperventilation that results from them. I felt like a stupid hypochondriac walking out of that office.

I guess he's right that I worry too much about my health and withdrawal, etc. The appointment has me questioning what is all in my head and is psychosomatic or due to hyperventilation and what is a genuine side effect/withdrawal effect :wacko: ..

Uggghhhhhhhhh.

Goldy,

Excuse my language but your neurologist can go to h-ll. He is so full of it cr-p that he is drowning in it.

Use the doctor to get the necessary prescription but we have all learned that very few of us can count on doctors for support. They obviously learn in medical school to deny that all drugs, particular psych ones, have side effects.

Can you switch to someone else or not?

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Alto, what you said is so true!-- I have known it in my gut for so long now, and now my concious mind is accepting that it is pretty much near impossible to find someone who knows about this stuff.

CS, my mother and I have looked all over the net for a doctor who knows anything about this, and there is literally nothing near us <_< . So, I have decided that enough is enough and I'm just going to get off the dang Zoloft on my own. Whatever anyone has been saying to me (family, doctors), they haven't been through what I've been through, and frankly probably wouldn't have lasted this long anyway. Whenever I'm feeling weak that knowledge reassures me.

The other day I swithed over to the pediatric-sized 25mg Zoloft pills, and they're so tiny I have no idea how to divide them accurately. But given that I'm still getting the overstimulation effects (suicidal ideation, akithisia), I want to make the withdrawal as fast as possible. That's what Breggin reccomends to do when those side effects occur.

So, I'm thinking, I'll try dividing the dose by 1/3 every 2 weeks, with adjustments along the way if not tolerated.

Does this sound reasonable in my case?

07-08: Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta--All withdrawn abrubtly. Only had bad w/d symptoms from Cymbalta. 08-'11- Prescribed Geodon, took until October '11, gradually withdrawn randomly from 120mg-70mg , naturopath helped w/d the rest with GF diet and neuroscience :/.

09-now: Lorazepam, doctor ct'ed from 3mg in Oct '11 until Dec '11 [HORRID!], reinstated to 3mg.

Zoloft: overstimulation effects on dec 20th '11, naturopath ct'ed it, reinstated to 25mg

Now: Suffering terrible symptoms continously from 08-now, now on 20mg Zoloft, 3mg Ativan.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1601-goldy-reduced-zoloft-too-fast/page__gopid__15777

Alto ~

Q: Do neurologists generally support psychiatry so strongly ~

I had hoped there might be a bit of support by neurology for patient~of course I have heard several times that things blindly treated by psychiatry become the domain of Neurology as soon as there is solid evidence of pathology that can be measured/scanned etc

Goldy ~im sorry you had that experience

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Goldy, I have very tiny pills to cut also. It's hard to divide accurately. I'm trying to cut a .25mg Risperdal in half. I have to use a digital scale to determine if it is half. I currently take one and a half. Since they are so small, I try to get as accurate as possible. I wish you well!

• Administrator

Goldy, you might see if you can get Zoloft liquid so you can measure doses more precisely.

I agree, if you are having adverse effects from the medication, you will want to get off it relatively quickly. But smaller dosage decreases more often is kinder on your nervous system than larger dosage decreases at longer intervals. How about shooting for 10% reduction a week or more often if you don't get withdrawal symptoms.

Barb, the response of the neurologist Goldy talked to was absolutely typical for neurologists. They leave psychiatric matters up to psychiatry. Is that strong support or just not giving a dang about stuff they don't recognize as neurology?

tezza, Risperdal comes in liquid form, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1716-tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone/

Hi everyone,

I cut my Zoloft by roughly 10% 2 days ago. I say roughly because I'm still using a pill cutter and it's hard to know the exact dose. But, I'm realizing my physciatrist isn't so bad after all; he okayed the Zoloft Liquid and I'm picking it up today!

Question: Besides the usual w/d symptoms, I'm having really bad shortness of breath and sinus symptoms: are these even possible withdrawal sympotoms? I can't help thinking it's something else too?

• Administrator

Those are possible withdrawal symptoms. A 10% cut may be too much for you.

Wait a bit and see if they get better.

When you get the liquid, plan on 5% cuts or less.

Update: As of 2/12, I'm still having:

-Worse dp/dr than ever

-occasional amnesia (don't know where I am or who I am)

-Flu-like symptoms: body pains, sore throat, headaches etc.

-constant chills

-Mood swings

-Severe anxiety/constant worry

-severe depression

-Agitation/akithisia

-inability to tolerate stress

-weakness

-lightheadedness

-bad pain in right side (Ultrasound I had several weeks ago came back negative for any organ damage)

-Sinus-infection symptoms (possibly real infection but no way am I taking antibiotics!)

-exhaustion

-sensitiviy to light/sound

-hypochondriasis

-changes in body temp-- mostly just freezing cold, sometimes very hot

-Outbursts of rage

-Impulsiveness

-Suicidal/homicidal ideation

-Irriability

-tinnitus

-New: Slight psychotic symptoms:

-Arguing with intrusive thought voices in my head

-Worsening paranoia

-obsessions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been on 23.75 mgs for almost a week, I think I'll reduce again probably tommorow... Good idea? It's such a hard call if my symptoms are side effects of "overstimulation" from being ON the Zoloft (Like the Black Box warning about young people taking Ad's: it says to watch out for thoughts of suicide and dying, restlessness, outbursts of rage-- those are currently some of my worst symptoms), lingering w/d effects, effects from Lorazepam, or a comination.

-Goldy

• Administrator

Goldy, it's so hard to tell where the symptoms are coming from.

When you reduced Zoloft before, did they get better or worse?

Alto,

The symptoms seemed to get worse when I reduced it in the past. BUT, I won't say it was entirely due to plain withdrawal, because I tended to take a slightly different dose every day I was cutting the actual pill (roughly 10-20% less than 25mgs), and when I switched to the liquid, I increased it to roughly 23.75mg. But the week I've been on the liquid has also not been a steady dose, because my mother served me the liquid for most of those days and did a rather poor mixing job. It's only been the last 2 days that I'm certain I took 23.75mg, and curiously they I have had the worse symptoms those 2 days. So, My gut tells me both from my past experience on AD's and the effects I've had the last few days that a lot of the symptoms are due more to drug side effects than withdrawal effects. Does that sound accurate to you?

• Administrator

Well, as you can see, with inconsistent dosing we can only guess. But, yeah, it sounds like maybe you were taking less Zoloft before and then when you standardized on 23.75mg, it was an increase.

Is your mother mixing the liquid with water? Is it difficult to read the dropper? If so, she should use an oral syringe to make exact measurements.

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/zoloft.html

ZOLOFT Oral Concentrate

ZOLOFT Oral Concentrate contains 20 mg/mL of sertraline (as the hydrochloride) as the active ingredient and 12% alcohol. ZOLOFT Oral Concentrate must be diluted before use. Just before taking, use the dropper provided to remove the required amount of ZOLOFT Oral Concentrate and mix with 4 oz (1/2 cup) of water, ginger ale, lemon/lime soda, lemonade or orange juice ONLY. Do not mix ZOLOFT Oral Concentrate with anything other than the liquids listed. The dose should be taken immediately after mixing. Do not mix in advance. At times, a slight haze may appear after mixing; this is normal. Note that caution should be exercised for patients with latex sensitivity, as the dropper dispenser contains dry natural rubber.

Suggestion: Use water, not the others for dilution so you can see the mixture, and after you drink it, fill the glass again and drink to ingest any Zoloft left in the glass.

I'm sure you're right that I technically have increased it. But for the last 3 days and from now on, I am following the directions exactly and doing it myself: 23.75mgs in water, with more water added to get anything remaining.

I feel quite a bit more stable today thankfully.

I think I'll stay at this dose for about a week longer (as in 4 more days ), see how I feel, then start reducing in bigger increments-- 10% per week as tolerated.

• Administrator

That is good news, Goldy. Perhaps there was a variation in your dosage that caused bad withdrawal symptoms.

That changes our assumption you were suffering from side effects. Instead, you may be very sensitive to dosage differences. How about stabilizing a bit longer and trying a 5% reduction instead of 10%?

Alto, I agree that this proves that a big part of my issue was withdrawal effects from fluctuating doses. However, for the last several days I am still having very severe depression, anxiety, and impulsivity as well as suicidal thoughts-- So, I'll stay at this dose for a few more days and see if those symptoms improve (becausse sometimes whenever I change a dose of any med- up or down- I get increased anxiety). And I also need to wait because I have the flu. So, If they do go away, then I'll proceed with a 5% taper, but if they don't I'll know I'm also experiencing "overstimulation" effects and get off of the drug faster-- 10% per week. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

• Administrator

Under any circumstances, if I were you I wouldn't reduce more than 5%, and hold for a couple of weeks at least. It sounds like just the variation in the doses your mother was mixing was causing serious reactions.

I know you must be very anxious to get off the drug, but I'm worried about pushing it and making your situation worse.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Goody,

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I fully agree with Alto about waiting longer than a few days. It's been over three weeks since I tapered and I've had a few good days consecutively. But now for the last four days, I've been having it pretty rough again. It's much better to be safe than sorry because it's hard to fix the damage once you've moved too fast. Also, the smaller decrement is a good idea, too. If you found that 10% caused too much grief and needed to reinstate a little, it would possibly destabilize your system even more.

• Administrator

Goldy, here's a kit of oral syringes that might make measurement easier http://www.amazon.com/Ezy-Dose-Syringes-Dosage-Korcs/dp/B000VCF6FG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329336909&sr=8-4

It comes with an adapter you can fit into the Zoloft bottle to draw out what you need.

It's your nervous system. We can't say if you are having adverse effects from the poison or adverse effects from taking it inconsistently.

If your severe withdrawal symptoms are from inconsistent dosing, you can make them worse by going too fast.

It's up to you.

I have found neurologists to lack understanding of w/d entirely and find that they also tend to think psychiatrists over prescribe medications that aren't efficacious yet provoke a ton of side effects. Despite their distrust of psychiatry. they are not on board with withdrawal, IMO.

I was referred to a good neurologist last year for blood pressure issues. He found, during exam, that I had lesser sensitivity in my fingers and toes, especially on my left side. I told him that I'd experienced this, that I still felt numbness/tingling after I was d/c'd rapidly from kllonopin, a benzo, at an addiction rehab center, then about 3 yrs earlier. He said it wasn't possible to still be experiencing affects of benzo removal after so long and was quite concerned. He said it was important to do a diagnostic to measure the level of neuropathy in my hands and feet.

On the off chance that he was right, and because I have insurance. I said, ok. So I came back the next week, he stuck needles into my legs, toes, feet, hands, etc and discovered, to his confusion, that the results were perfectly normal.

He really blasted my shrinks after I told him of my Drugging and he was a sincere man who looked like Harry Truman. So I've remembed him fondly.

Point is, nobody believes in the reality of w/d at present but a tiny tiny few and good luck with them as they're hard to find and, unsurprisingly, really booked.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Dr. Ashton later admitted she didn't understand antidepressant withdrawal. Please disregard those instructions.

I second Alto's assessment here. Besides understanding the theoretical reason for removing an ad first, I have my personal experience which, though anecdotal, supports that position.

Being on a benzo during my AD w/d was far different than being on an AD during my benzo w/d.... Without getting into the details, that's the nutshell, simplified version.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

RE: neurologists - baffling. Trying to draw a parallel to something they work with, I wonder what their response might be if someone had taken a Parkinson's med/dopamine for over a decade with no clinical testing or measurement and then discontinued. What might the effects be on various body systems while on drug? How soon would they return to pre-med function? Is the term 'withdrawal' throwing them? Just thinking out loud.

Sorry to tread on your thread, Goldy.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

*Sorry for the rant in my last post, I Felt very agitated while writing it (obviously).*

Today (2/16), I can feel a lot of my symptoms clearing up a bit. I'm still suffering from the flu, but getting rest and I think I'll be better soon. I've accepted now that I'll have to reduce in tiny increments: 5% as tolerated. Alto, you finally convinced me :)! Better safe than [very] sorry.

To everyone talking about the neurologist: I was dumbfounded by his "ignorance"! He probably believed everything I said: I mean, he's a doctor and is bound to have heard of akithisia caused by psych meds, right? All I was asking for was acknowdegment that my symptoms are real, and hopefully some kind of treatment. I was sitting in front of him saying, with my mom backing me up, that I had been having convulsions-- and all he does is check my reflexes and blaim it all on "what's causing my depression and anxiety" and "hyperventilation". He went as far as to say that all of the neurological symptoms, including feeling like I'm jumping out of my skin, was caused by over-breathing!

Goldy,

I'm so angry for you. I don't know if this has a name, but once someone has a psych diagnosis, there is a strong tendency by doctors to blame every later ailment on that diagnosis. Or, to medicate it as a side effect of drug. My husband was just reading an online physician discussion. A Certified Nurse Practitioner with a Bipolar diagnosis said that her appendix ruptured because docs didn't take her seriously. (Paraphrasing)

Psychiatry worked so hard to destigmatize mental illness and now the pendulum has swung to the other extreme and it's now a trashcan diagnosis.

You have the right attitude, Goldy. I'm sorry for ranting on your thread.

Goldy,

I'm so angry for you. I don't know if this has a name, but once someone has a psych diagnosis, there is a strong tendency by doctors to blame every later ailment on that diagnosis. Or, to medicate it as a side effect of drug. My husband was just reading an online physician discussion. A Certified Nurse Practitioner with a Bipolar diagnosis said that her appendix ruptured because docs didn't take her seriously. (Paraphrasing)

Psychiatry worked so hard to destigmatize mental illness and now the pendulum has swung to the other extreme and it's now a trashcan diagnosis.

You have the right attitude, Goldy. I'm sorry for ranting on your thread.

That doctor should have his/her medical license revoked.

2000-2010 75mg Effexor

2010-2012 225mg Effexor

Happy, I decide to try to get off Effexor, having no idea the ordeal that would follow.

Nov 2011 187.5mg Effexor

Dec 2012 150mg Effexor

[more gradual tapering with the requisite pain, suffering, and rage]

Feb 2012 92mg Effexor

Laid off from job, I can't deal with both unemployment and withdrawal, so I flare (opposite of taper) up to my last taper point.

Mar 2012 112.5 Effexor

Get interview for amazing job with great company but I'm so anxious about the interview I impulsively flare up another step of Effexor

May 2012 150mg Effexor

I've gotten the job, love it, and I'm happy again, so I decide to try to get off Effexor again and see a new doctor to try to help me. The new doctor suggests going on Cymbalta to reduce the w/d and I grudgingly agree, knowing how awful it was the first time and that I should look at the long game. It actually helps.

Mar 2013 75mg Effexor, 60mg Cymbalta

Anxiety out of control, my doc prescribes me low dose of Clonazepan (Klonipin)

May 2013 37.5mg Effexor, 60mg Cymbalta, .125mg Klonipin

Jun 2013 19mg Effexor, 60mg Cymbalta, .125mg Klonipin

[more tapering and suffering]

Aug 2013 0mg Effexor(!!!), 60mg Cymbalta, .125mg Klonipin

Feeling ok but not great, I decide I can probably take whatever punishment Cymbalta w/d will dole out, and that I should probably get off this Klonipin too since it's such a small amount and I don't want to end up a Klonipin junkie

Sep 2013 56mg Cymbalta, 0mg Klonipin

Absolutely, Jeremy! At the very least, a complaint to the Medical Board or even one of the websites that rate physicians just to do SOMETHING! (Healthgrades or Vitals)

• Administrator

Not all doctors, even psychiatrists, recognize akathisia or understand it's a side effect of medication.

Hi everyone. LOL about your responses to the neurologist.. I'm still fuming over it, but laughing at his stupidity helps :).

Question: The flu I thought I came down with turns out to be an inner ear/respiratory infection; I think it was causing and worsening a lot of my symptoms. Doctor perscribed Z-Pack, and I'm dreading taking it. Worth the risk of side effects?

• Administrator

I tolerated Z-pack well. If you really have an infection, you need to treat it. Did the doctor take a culture or something to identify it's bacterial?

Yeah you're right, it does need to be treated. However, he didn't take any cultures (even though I asked for verification). But by looking into my ears, nose, and throat, and the description of my symptoms (chest pain, bad shortness of breath, stuffy nose, tiredness, vertigo, mucous), he said it must be an infection. He mentioned something to do with Labrinthisis and a chest infection. Do you think that's enough evidence to just take it?

• Administrator

Ask him to take a g*ddamned swab and have it cultured. A Z-pack won't help a viral infection.

I explained it all to my family that I don't want to take an antibiotic if it's actually viral, and that I wanted to go back to the doc and get a culture. It exploded into a top-of-the-lungs argument with them saying I'm too much of a hypochondriac and should just take it anyway, my sis said "OH, well if you take it and you feel better, you know it wasn't viral!" #@%&^!!!!!!!! I can't drive, so going on my own isn't an option. theres no way i can get the culture. Given this, I still don't know if I should take it or not?

• Administrator

Insist on the culture. Many doctors do it routinely; they want to minimize prescribing antibiotics. It's good medical practice. Too many antibiotics breeds drug-resistant bugs.

Also, your nervous system is stressed, why stress it further with unnecessary drugs?

On the other hand, if it's a bacterial infection, an antibiotic is called for.

What does your sister have to do with it? Tell her to butt out.