Dyesthesias: abnormal pain from psych drug withdrawal (and info about other sorts of pains too)

GiaK

Hi...thought this might be helpful to some... http://beyondmeds.com/2012/01/10/dyesthesia/I tried cutting and pasting the whole thing but formatting is too much of a nightmare, sorry... It starts with this however...need to click through to read the rest and get the links, both:

It seems most of us who have been harmed by psychiatric drugs in this way do recover in time, but for some of us, like me, it can take several years. Anyway, to get to the point of this article, I found another word used that is similar to parasthesia and it struck me as more appropriate and I’m sure the two words are often quite interchangeable. They are both caused by central nervous system damage. I found an article speaking of dysesthesia. The fact that the acute pain is mentioned got my attention. Also they illustrated the article with a picture of a hand holding a bloody knife!! I’ve often described the pain I’ve experienced with that image exactly. “It feels like I’m being knifed repeatedly…” I say. This particular acute pain has actually diminished for me, thank god, but I had it for well over a year. I still get the same sort of dysesthesia but the acuteness has mellowed. It can still be overwhelming, however. This stuff can simply get insanely extreme and, again, most people simply have no way of conceiving how awful it is and that unfortunately too often includes the doctors we visit for help. On a slightly different note, I do still get something that is probably more appropriately called a neuropathic pain, though, that still feels like I’m being impaled. I get the sensation that a long dagger goes in through my head and into my heart, creating a single pain that feels like it’s in two places, both the head and my heart. It’s nasty and acute. It’s been hypothesized it has something to do with the vagus nerve. All of these pains seem to also often be associated with autonomic nervous dysfunction, which also has another fancy name: dysautonomia, which many of us harmed by psychiatric drugs also suffer from, myself included. That, unfortunately includes many other, very difficult symptoms. It’s worth clicking through and reading if you’re trying to learn about the large variety of possible ways people get sick as a result of drug iatrogenesis. The fact is there are even many more outside those mentioned in this post...

(for the rest and for all links go here: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/01/10/dyesthesia/

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Gia~

Great info

Thanks

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks for the info... I have come across several studies lately linking physical pain and depression. It's good to have another perspective on the "it's all in your head" thing. I am lucky in that I don't have severe pain, but I do wonder if my back pain is at least partially related to withdrawal.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I investigated quinolone antibiotics after my aunt had a psychotic mania after taking a quinolone for a UTI ~ONE of the theories is that it disturbs the myelin sheath --i see that is also related to pain of MS ~

I can't say enough ~~please be careful with any quinolone antibiotics (-cipro-floxin-etc)

Most docs have no idea of the potential dangers

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Giak. That was a good read. I feel for ya, I have severe nerve pain too. It does feel like a knife. I get it down both arms and my left leg. When it hits my left leg I have to use a cane. When it's on my right arm I can't even write or hold a pen. It's crippling. I baby the heck out of my right arm as I'm so useless without it, so I try to do most cleaning and stuff left handed, which is a task.

I suspect it's depression related. Idk. They say I have neuropathy with unknown origin, since I'm not diabetic.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Why do you think your pain is depression-related, Shanti? It seems pretty defined.

There are a lot of pain syndromes that have "unknown origin," meaning doctors can't find anything definitive on tests. But that doesn't mean they're in your head.

I've had amazing results reducing pain with acupuncture and chiropractic. These alternative disciplines treat a lot of "unknown origin" pain.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Why do you think your pain is depression-related, Shanti? It seems pretty defined.

There are a lot of pain syndromes that have "unknown origin," meaning doctors can't find anything definitive on tests. But that doesn't mean they're in your head.

I've had amazing results reducing pain with acupuncture and chiropractic. These alternative disciplines treat a lot of "unknown origin" pain.

It seems that once someone has a dx of depression everything is later attributed to the depression because it is so much easier than looking for the real cause

After learning of all of my endocrine and liver issues the other day the PA at office asked how my depression has been

I replied "considering all of the medical stuff that has obviously been going on with me for many years „im not convinced I ever really WAS 'depressed' as a primary condition (even though I had every depression med given to me and none worked)"

I think I saw some wheels turning

I will not use the "D" word - such a trashcan diagnosis and ive played right into it for nearly 20 years while no doctor bothered to look for underlying conditions ~

I really shouldnt post in the morning :-(

Sorry Shanti ~that wasn't aimed at you ~more at myself ~WHEN did my common sense exit the building GRRRRR}}}

As long as I'm ranting ~i am supposedly 'pre-diabetic'

Has anyone been diagnosed as 'pre-depressed' and treated with watchful waiting and dieting ~has anyone's depression been coded as Axis IV disorder --LIFE EVENTS /stressors ~i can't say that ive seen all of my charts but I never recall the use of Axis IV codes

Am I missing something (Q)

• 7 years later...

Myalgia is a listed side effect of SSRIs and SNRIs.  Severe myalgia is also related to the use of certain anaesthesia drugs.  This type of myalgia can be disabling.  

My "fibromyalgia" appeared the day after I had had anaesthesia for a minor medical procedure and, of course, I was also on my cocktail of drugs minus the tramadol and the Lyrica.  

1994  Venlafaxine XR 300mg, 2003 tapered, 2004 off briefly back to 37.5 then 75mg, held, June 2019 up to  150mg, Aug.12 tapered down to 112.5mgs, Oct. 21, 2019 96mg;  Dec. 8, 2019  90mg, Jan. 8 2020 81mg, Feb. 4, 75mg; April 17, 2023 37.5mg

2003/2004? Diazepam 10mg/bedtime

2013 Lyrica 300mg to 25mg; April 6, 2020 17mg; April 28, <5mg; May 7, 2020 Lyrica 0 mg!

2013 Tramadol 50mg tablets, 200mg/day divided

2005? Trazodone 50mg bedtime, Feb. 12, 2020 40mg, March 7, 25mg; Oct 1 20mg;  0mg!

2009? Zolpidem 5mg at bedtime. Nov. 9, 2019 Zolpidem 0 mg! 

1990? Omeprazole 20mg in morning.

2010? Levothyroxine 75mcg morning

2011? Liothyronine 5mcg morning

1999? Buspirone 30mg twice a day  August 2019 15mg once a day,  Oct.21, 2019 2.5mg evening  Oct. 25, 2019 Buspirone 0 mg!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy