My Cymbalta story by lundeliz

lundeliz

• Moderator Emeritus

I too am wondering about the wisdom of assuming that this reaction is to Celexa. It seems unusual, if it's an allergic reaction to Celexa, that it would appear so suddenly.

I would just be concerned because cold turkey can have such serious consequences, that wouldn't be the first avenue that I personally would consider investigating. I would want to rule out other possible causes before assuming it's a sudden brand new allergic reaction to a drug I had already been taking for months. Particularly since a sudden drop in dose on this drug can have serious consequences.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lundeliz

• Altostrata

• luv2knit

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I'd try a dosage reduction by half, first.

We have other reports where an allergic reaction started in the throat or around the lips, then got worse. lundeliz may not have noticed early signs. Or, this may be a cumulative reaction to dosage changes.

I'm concerned.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you everyone. I very much appreciate all opinions. I have reduced my dosage

for now. I'll probably just hang in there for now and see if things get better. Thank goodness

I can come here for some guidance since my doctor has no clue.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

Would switching to another antidepressant to taper be a good idea? Like how I did the Prozac switch?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

I don't know if I'd do that, lundeliz has already switched from Cymbalta to Celexa.

I am thinking her system has been sensitized.

lundeliz, I hope you're okay.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, thank you, I'm doing better. My blood pressure has stabilized, and my rash

is better. No major withdrawals yet from the decrease in Celexa. Feeling hopeful.

Thanks!

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• Administrator

Very much relieved to hear that, lundeliz. Healing thoughts coming your way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I have been so very very sick. Blood pressure is a huge issue. It has spiked up to 230/116.

I had a terrible reaction to losartan. My dr doubled my dosage. My bp went very high, and I had

trouble breathing. I felt like I was really dying. Now I am on diltiazem. Still feel horrible, and drugs.com

says there is a major interaction between diltiazem and my other bp med, nadolol. So now what? I can't

really not take it till I can get back to the dr. Oh yes, I'm also taking zithromax for a throat infection and

bactrim for a bladder infection. I switched over from cymbalta to celexa 7 months ago, and have tapered

down the celexa from 30 to 22. I am taking 8 beads of cymbalta now. Could cold turkey type symptoms

be hitting me now at 7 months out? Forgot to say I'm also having constant nausea and some diarrhea.

Please, does anyone think this could be all withdrawal hitting now? If I could just be assured the sky high

bp and all else are withdrawal, I would find the strength to endure it. I guess I will endure it anyway. I have few

options right, at 7 months out? Thank you for any comments.

• Administrator

I am so sorry you're having such a bad time, lundeliz.

drugs.com says there is a major interaction between diltiazem and my other bp med, nadolol.

I would phone your doctor right away and let her know about this. Also look at interactions with your other medications.

It may be withdrawal hypersensitivity that's causing an outsized reaction to any of these drugs.

Hang in there, get your doctor to pay attention to the drugs you're on.

You were exactly right, Alto. All my symptoms were from the bp med. I had been taking Lisinopril

for over a year. I started having allergic reaction to it, rash on chest and bp spikes. I was switched

to Losartan and things got worse. But when my dr. doubled the dosage, it became unbearable. It

felt like I was absolutely losing my mind, not to mention my bp being through the roof. What a very

miserable few weeks. I also quit taking the new med she prescribed that can have a major interaction

with my other bp med. And today my bp was 115/72! Amazing. Thank goodness for this site. I

don't think my dr. would have ever realized. I have decided to take a break from tapering for a while,

maybe 3 months. I think I need to let things settle down. I'm already feeling much better. Thank you

so much!

• Administrator

Oh my gosh, I'm so happy you found out what was the matter!

How about that rash before, was it from the Celexa?

Yes, take a break from drug changes for a bit and recuperate, lundeliz. Please check in here now and then and let us know how you're doing.

Wow. Did I really feel that good just yesterday? Today is another story. BP is back up. Woke up with nausea again and the alarm

felt like it pierced straight through me this morning. I talked to the pharmacist about taking those two bp meds together and he would

not recommend it. So I'm going back to the dr. tomorrow to see what can be done for my bp. I have read back through my posts, and

it really helps to be able to go back and see how I reacted to drops and so forth. There is also a viral respiratory infection making the

rounds right now. Almost everyone in my family has been suffering with it. I have had the stuffy nose, cough and sore throat. Maybe

that is playing a part in how I feel too. Oh and I'm also treating for a UTI. Man, my life really did start to fall apart when I took that

first Cymbalta. Something else I wanted to mention. Before I ever started trying to come off Cymbalta, I started having symptoms of

diarrhea and a very bad itchy rash covering my chest and neck. A couple months later I lost my ins. and c/t off Cymbalta. I reinstated

about 2 months later and withdrawal symptoms stopped. I had the rash one other time after reinstating. Don't know if it a w/d symptom

or a side effect. But I recently had what seemed to be the same rash, while on Celexa. This is all like a big puzzle, and trying to put all

the pieces together. My post is long, I'm sorry.

• Administrator

I think you're allergic to these antidepressants in large dosages, or they interacted with one of your other medications.

Why were you put on blood pressure meds in the first place? Was it from adverse effects from Cymbalta or Celexa?

Alto, that is the conclusion I came to, also, after reading back through my posts and my journal

I keep at home. I did have a bad reaction to the bp med, but maybe because of hypersensitivity.

I have been on bp meds for 30 years. It was always well controlled until I started trying to get off

Cymbalta. Since we both think ADs don't agree with me, I will go ahead and resume my taper.

I would love to make a big drop to see if I feel better, but I really don't want to be in acute withdrawal

for Christmas. I was thinking I would try dropping 2mg, and then drop again as soon as I possibly

can. Does this sound like an okay plan? My symptoms are nausea, diarrhea, weakness, insomnia,

and a fluttery chest. I feel very wired, and didn't sleep a wink last night. This is a new symptom.

Thank you for any input.

• Administrator

lundeliz, what medications are you on now, the dosages, and how long have you been on each?

Could this be withdrawal symptoms from going off bp meds?

I only stopped the new bp meds. I'm still taking the one (Nadolol) that I've been on for years.

Also, levothyroxine for years. Right now I'm on Bactrim for UTI. And the Celexa 20mg.

Last night I woke up several times feeling like I had been running or something. I did find

a new doctor that I am seeing tomorrow. I really think it's from the Celexa, but I'm often

wrong. I'm so full of anxiety and nausea. Alto, if I stopped the Celexa cold turkey to see

if it's the problem, could I go on a very low dose of something like Zoloft to try to help

with wd symptoms, or is that a bad idea? I will talk to the dr. about it, but I'm not sure

he will really understand. Thank you again.

• Administrator

I thought you reduced the Celexa dosage in late October because of the rashes, did you increase it again?

(I merged your topic about the rashes with this one; I was getting confused.)

Ok. Thank you. I did reduce because of the rashes, but to 20mg. I think I just

got scared to do anything too drastic. Thank you for sticking with me, and all

the support. This is the hardest thing I have ever encountered in my life. Trying

to figure all this out seems like a full time job. And I'm ready to retire from it.

• Administrator

I wouldn't count on a switch to Zoloft. It may work, it may not, you may have a bad reaction to it, too.

After you reduced to 20mg Celexa, there were a lot of reactions from your blood pressure meds and changes to them, right? Can you tell if you had withdrawal symptoms from Celexa, or is it all too confused?

Yeah, it's all too confusing. Anxiety has been really bad today. Also my stomach is

bothering me so much, burning and nausea. The only thing I know to do, is to keep gradually

decreasing, and try to tolerate these symptoms. I did see the new doctor today. I was happy with

the way he handled my bp. He increased my old med and added a small dose of a diuretic. That shouldn't

cause me any problems I don't think. But he told me ADs are absolutely not addictive, so if I was having

anxiety, then I must have an anxiety problem. I don't think I will find a dr who thinks differently though.

We sort of agreed to disagree and he knows I am going to continue tapering off. So I guess I will stick

with him for now. I still feel like this is side effects from Celexa, but can't know for sure. I wish it could

be more straightforward, instead of always having to try to figure out what's going on. Like everyone else,

I would just like to know that I will get past this some day. I hope we all will.

• Administrator

You're going to be okay. You've been going about this in a very calm, determined way.

Thank you, Alto. :)

Ok, so another sleepless night. After I take my meds at bedtime, I become totally unable to relax.

No way at all can I sleep. And it feels like something pulsing through my body, sort of like anxiety, I'm

not sure. Then the next morning I have terrible nausea. I lay there thinking about everything last night. I think

I have to just stop Celexa. On my last blood work my kidney function was down and that can be a side

effect. High blood pressure and nausea can be a sign of that. That's scary to me. Also today I have a

few random spots around that look like hives. The kidney function really worries me. Tonight I will

not take Celexa and see how it goes. I don't think I have a choice. I don't look forward to the next

few months, but at least I will know I'm sick because the poison is leaving my body, not because I'm

putting it into my body. Oh gosh, please wish me luck.

• Administrator

Rather than dropping it entirely, how about cutting the dosage instead?

Yes, thank you, Alto. I will take your advice. I tend to make rash decisions,

even though I think I have thought it through.

I have been trying to figure out if my new symptoms are increasing side effects of Citalopram.

Since I switched over from Cymbalta 7 months ago, I have been sleeping way too much, always so

tired. Now I can hardly sleep, some nights not at all. I'm having anxiety that I am finding it hard to

deal with. I have flushing episodes and high blood pressure. Also nausea, and a total loss of appetite.

As a result, I've jerked my dosage around too much which I know is not good.

How in the world do I get back on track? I dropped down to 10mg and got worried about withdrawal,

so last night I took 15mg and did not sleep all night. Anxiety is high today. I would like to stay at 10mg,

but am so scared of the withdrawals.

• Administrator

I'm so sorry, lundeliz.

I can understand why this is all so confusing.

We can't tell which is the right direction. Try staying at one dosage and see if your system settles down.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I hope everyone was able to enjoy the holiday. Mine was very nice, spending time with lots of family.

Since I dropped my dosage to 10mg about 3 weeks ago, some things have gotten better. The nausea has completely

gone away. The anxiety gradually got better. I've had some days with no anxiety at all. It was my plan to

stay at 10mg for three months, then decide how to proceed. But in the last few days, I have developed chest

tightness and shortness of breath. It could be that I just overdid it with the shopping and cooking. I was

really exhausted trying to get it all done. Also having some anxiety and tummy troubles. I'm wondering if

it's withdrawal symptoms hitting or if I'm starting to need to make another drop. It's so hard trying to figure

out what you need to do to make it better. I won't do anything just yet. It's only been three weeks since I

made a huge drop, so I will try to hang in there. It's very uncomfortable at times, hopefully things won't get

any worse. Happy New Year to everyone. Hope things get better for everyone in the coming year.

• Administrator

You might drop your dosage 1mg and see if symptoms are reduced.

You might be having adverse reactions to Celexa, having become sensitized to it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't read through all of the posts in your Intro, lundeliz, but one thing that jumped out at me right away is that you're taking your AD at night. Is there a special reason for that? ADs are generally taken first thing in the morning, and I'm wondering if taking your Celexa at night might be contributing to the sleeping problems.

If this subject has already been covered, just ignore me. :blush:

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks Alto, I will see what the next couple of days brings, then I may

need to try dropping 1mg to see if that helps. Jemima, I guess I take

the Celexa at night because it has always been very sedating for me, up

until the last few weeks. Most nights I am sleeping ok, have had just a few

sleepless nights. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate all input.

• 2 weeks later...

I,ve had all your symptoms and more. I just read your posts. It's hard to believe these ADs can make you so sick when they're suppose to help.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I have been at 10mg for 6 wks today. I have been doing fairly well, wouldn't

consider myself stabilized, but at least somewhat functioning. Some things definitely got

better after I dropped down to 10mg. No more episodes of blood pressure spiking sky high.

The episodes of my face getting hot and flushed gradually went away, and the nausea disappeared.

Until yesterday, when it all started returning. Been having anxiety and hot flushes and I woke

with nausea again. Logically, to me it sounds like I need to make another drop. It's very

frightening to me, but I think I will drop down 1mg tonight and see how it goes. Would that

be enough to make a difference and does it sound like the right thing to do? Thanks for any

opinions.

• Administrator

My guess is it's the right way to respond to those symptoms. Sending you sympathy and support beams, lundeliz.

Hi Lundeliz,

I have been reading your story for quiet a while and find your ordeal very similar to mine.

I have been withdraving from Cymbalta for two years -on 5 beads now - and find it really difficult on the small dose.

My BP is out of whack and i having other symptoms too as anxiety, panic etc. lately crying spells and rage but I'm determined to continue to 0.

Hope you don't mind if i write here once in a while to share my symptoms

- O

1995-2008 Low dose of Klonopin

2008/09 Tolerance WD

2009/01 C/T of Klonopin

2009/3 30 mg Mirtazepin

2010/03 switch 60 mg Lexapro

2011/3 switch 60mg Cymbalta

2011/8 Quick taper of Cymbalta

2011/09 Back to 30 mg

2012/02 Start slow taper

2103/03 Medication free

Hi Omlett, wow you are doing great to get down to 5 beads of Cymbalta. As you may have read, I was having

a horrible time and switched over to Celexa. How long have you been tapering? I would be very interested to hear

your story. Is withdrawal from Cymbalta causing your blood pressure to rise? Please keep posting to let

us know how you are doing. You are getting so close to the end. I hope things start getting better for you.