My Cymbalta story by lundeliz

lundeliz

• Administrator

Sounds like things are going in the right direction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lundeliz

• Altostrata

• luv2knit

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks off Cymbalta.  Mostly it has been bearable.  I've had a few really bad days, and a few pretty

good days.  Today has been the worst day ever.  I'm having sinus type symptoms, with a really throbbing headache.

I also have had some anxiety and nausea today. I took some Ibuprofen and a tiny dose of Benadryl.  Both helped

a little.  I hope this headache goes away soon.  I know I probably have quite a ways to go, but  I will get through it.

Trying to think about how good it will feel when this is all over.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• Administrator

Thank goodness, lundeliz. May the new year bring you healing!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you, Alto!  Happy New Year to you all!

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to check in since I am coming up on 6 weeks off Cymbalta. Physically, things are definitely

getting better. The muscle pain I had for a few weeks, is much better. Nausea is much better.

The flu like feeling and fatigue is getting better. Mentally, I don't feel so tortured in my mind

anymore. Anxiety is mild. But, I still don't feel like myself. I have no motivation or interest in

things I normally would. I still feel quite spacey and never quit know what to do with myself. Someone

please tell me this is a normal part of withdrawal. I can't imagine living like this for a long time.

Thanks for the help I've gotten here in getting off this med. I'm very glad to be rid of it!

• Moderator Emeritus
But, I still don't feel like myself. I have no motivation or interest in

things I normally would.

Maybe you could explore some new things :)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

But, I still don't feel like myself. I have no motivation or interest in

things I normally would. I still feel quite spacey and never quit know what to do with myself. Someone

please tell me this is a normal part of withdrawal.

I think it is.  Interest takes energy, energy that may your body may still be using to recover.

It's up to you to figure out what's withdrawal and what isn't.  This can be very difficult, but it's something we all have to do.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

What a relief you're finally out of the woods, lundeliz.

Emotional numbing is a common side effect of the drugs that can persist after you get off them. This will very gradually diminish. Do what you can to nurture your soul. This is a time to "fake it until you make it."

Thank you so much for the reassurance, Alto. I know I'm still early in the process,

so I'll try to be patient. Faking it till I make it is exactly what I've been trying

to do. I'll make it one day.

• Moderator Emeritus

You've done great Lundeliz, keep faking and you will keep making it until one day

you'll realise you aren't faking it any more, you've made it.  :)  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you so much. Today wasn't a good day.

I guess Cymbalta is not done with me yet. I appreciate

the encouragement. I'm looking so forward to the day

I realize I've made it!

Alto , things changed quickly. I'm now on the verge of having

panic attacks. I've taken Xanax but I'm scared to continue taking it.

I stopped cymbalta 7 weeks ago at 17 beads. Could you give me your

opinion on how many beads I might try reinstating to see if it

would take the edge off? I don't think I can handle it. Would 2 or

3 beads possibly help? I'm sorry. Any help deeply appreciated.

I realize there are no guarantees.

I'm sorry. I've rethought my decision to reinstate. Too risky.

I will find a way to get through this. I want off this Med too badly

to risk it now. I will take a little Xanax for a few days if I have to.

What do you think about Vistaril ? I've never taken it, but is it a good

alternative for a while? Thank you anyone for any thoughts.

• Administrator

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Vistaril.

Yes, a few beads might help.

Thank you, Alto!

• Administrator

I'm rooting for you, lundeliz.

• Moderator Emeritus

What do you think about Vistaril ? I've never taken it, but is it a good

alternative for a while? Thank you anyone for any thoughts.

Hi Lundeliz,

Cymbaltawithdrawal5600 was taking this for a while (generic hydroxyzine), she mentions it in her thread several times, from memory, it seemed to help for a while, and then started to make her feel worse. 

Drugs that relieve symptoms in a balanced nervous system can often turn paradoxical once withdrawal causes destabilization.  For this reason, please be extra careful with xanax, personally, I wouldn't take it, the rebound anxiety can be worse, causing you to need even more.  Its very easy for a dependance to develop.

I agree with Alto, if you need to take something, go back to a few beads, re-stabilize and then continue your taper from there.

You are so close, please don't take any unnecessary risks.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thank you, Petu.  I think that's very good advice.  I'm very scared of the Xanax.  And I know you are right

about the paradoxical reactions.  I think that is happening to me with the Benadryl.  So I'm only taking magnesium

and fish oil now.  I really appreciate your warnings.  I don't want to get into more trouble with meds that's for sure.

I have a question about reinstating a few beads. I will appreciate any answers anyone might offer.

I'm still considering adding back in a few beads. Is it necessary to reinstate enough beads to stabilize

before starting to taper them back down? Or could I just add back in enough to make my symptoms bearable,

then gradually wean off them? It's the anxiety and insomnia that has me considering doing this. I hate

the thought of going backwards after being off Cymbalta for 8 weeks, but the insomnia is rough.

• Administrator

Since your been off all of the drugs for a bit, I would add in a bead right now, take one for at least 4 days, and see if it helps.

If it helps a little but not enough, add in another bead for 4 days, and so forth.

When people are immediately off the drugs, sometimes taking a crumb here and there helps until they go to zero.

Thank you very much, Alto. I will sure give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Just thought I would check in and post an update.  After the 6 week point of being off Cymbalta,

I crashed big time.  I have been so sick, mentally and physically. I am now almost 10 weeks off.

The agitation is almost more than I can bear.  I am so weak, with nausea and mild diarrhea.

The head pressure and brain fog are horrible.  My doctor gave me a prescription for Zoloft, but

I have been afraid to take it.  I would not mind taking it for a few months if it would give me relief

from this.  But I'm afraid that I'm too sensitive to all the meds now and might make things worse.

I also have Xanax and klonopin.  I have taken the Xanax only a handful of times when I was really

about to fall apart.  I'm trying hard to stay away from it. I'm sort of frozen with fear to do anything.

So I just lie in bed every day trying to bear it.  I wish I knew how long I will have to exist like this.

Alto, I forgot to mention that I did add in 2 beads for a few days.  I didn't see any relief.

I really didn't want to add anymore and have to go through this again.  So I backed off

of them again.

• Administrator

I am so sorry, lundeliz.

Sending you healing thoughts.....

Thanks, Alto.  I'm not doing well.  Can I ask you a question about autonomic instability?  Is there a

discussion on the forum I can read?  I've searched and found references but not really a discussion

about it.  Is it something that just gets better with time or needs to be treated?  Thanks for any help.

• Administrator

Thank you Alto.  Just what I was looking for.  Scary, but also hopeful.  Looks like  some

exercise, and taking care of yourself in general will help.  I have become hypersensitive

to some of my meds. Levothyroxine is now causing me to become highly agitated and

nauseous.  Not sure what to do about that.  Hopefully this phase of withdrawal won't

last too long.

• Administrator

Sounds to me like your dosage of levothyroxine is too high. This may need to be adjusted.

Hi. I ended up stopping my levothyroxine.  It was scary.  I will need to see my doctor

about that.  At least the episodes of severe agitation have stopped.  I read that the

levothyroxine stays in your system for weeks, so I should be okay for a few days.

I think I had my first window last night!  I felt so calm, my throat and chest were not

tight, and I was just relaxed, enjoyed watching tv, and everything just seemed "normal."

It was wonderful.  Oh how I wish it could have stayed.  I knew that it wouldn't, but I sure

enjoyed it while it lasted.  It probably lasted 3 or 4 hours, is that how it works?  Was that

a short "window"?  I can't wait for another one.  It felt so good to know that I can think

normally.  It's still there somewhere.  I was with my granddaughters, and I felt warm and fuzzy.

I hope this will be the start of some windows for me.

• Administrator

I hope this is the start of many and longer windows for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

That is great Liz, I'm glad you had a taste of what is to come and hope you are still feeling good. 

There will be many more where that came from  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you mammaP!  I appreciate the support and encouraging words. It's so

crazy, this withdrawal.  Today has been one of the worst days.  Maybe it will

be followed by a wonderful window!  Fingers crossed.

Feeling so sick and hopeless. Headache and nausea are unbearable.

I feel so drugged and very weak like I can't keep my eyes open, but still

very agitated. Mostly just lie in bed on the computer because that is

the one thing I can do to distract myself a little bit. Not looking

for any answers, just support. I can't even imagine that this might

end someday.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are still feeling so bad Liz, hang in there and the window will open again. 

I suspect stopping the levothyroxin will be having some effect, how long is it since you

stopped? Alto suggested reducing it, maybe you still need  a smaller dose?  

I hope you can find some peace and a window opens for you, withdrawal is awful but 

the good thing is that we know that it does get better eventually. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Mostly just lie in bed on the computer because that is

the one thing I can do to distract myself a little bit. Not looking

for any answers, just support. I can't even imagine that this might

end someday.

That's how I have spent the majority of the last 2 years, on my bed with the computer trying to distract myself because I'm not capable of much more.  When those rare windows have arrived, it renews hope, and then when the waves come back, its almost like a cruel joke.  But as so many people here have documented, the windows get longer and clearer and the waves shorter.  So having windows, even if short lived at the moment has to be a sign of better things to come.

Hang in there Liz, it will end, just have to take it one day at a time.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you both. I have to believe it will end. And I will hang in there. Thanks!