SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sugar cravings - sweets, chocolate, carbs etc

Jonno

[Admin note:  Also see:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1165-sugar-its-effect-on-mental-health-and-withdrawal/]

Dear all, One of the w/d symptoms that I still experience is cravings for carbs - particularly chocolate. These are heightened when I have a wave or am under the weather. I experience food sensitivities but am able to tolerate chocolate ok, and because the rest of my diet is very good, I allow myself chocolate every day to hold off the cravings. Has anybody else experienced cravings and if so, do they go away? Any ideas as to what causes them and what I could do to manage them until they go? Thanks

Edited by KarenB
added cross-reference

Effexor 2002 - 2008

Prozac 2008 - June 2009

Prozac tapered over 4 months so protracted withdrawal since

Improvement accelerating since 2011

Chocolate cravings seem to often be associated with low magnesium. My naturopath actually suggested soaking my feet in an epsom salt bath when I was having intense chocolate cravings and muscle cramping. I dont know if some people have negative reactions to epsom salt soaks, but I know Ive seen epsom salt baths mentioned many times on this forum, for relaxation before bedtime (to get magnesium through the skin).

Ive got my feet in an epsom salt soak as I type!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

I have this problem and it's been killing me.

Goodness I wish I had the answer.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Oh goodness yes. I got so hooked on brown sugar. First it started as brown sugar with butter on muffins. Every day. Then it got totally out of control and I was literally eating brown sugar out of the bag. I gained 20 pounds in one month! So I had to quit the brown sugar cold turkey and say goodbye to my love. I still haven't lost that weight. But I'm going easy on myself and when I'm recovered, then I will worry about dieting and getting the pounds off. Right now I am just trying to be more conscious of what I eat and avoiding sugar and white flour products like flour tortillas. That is my second addiction. I will eat them toasted with butter and I love them too.

After a few days of craving the brown sugar still, I finally got over it and now I don't crave it.

There are healthy chocolates out there. My friend sells them. If you want, pm me and I'll see about if it's expensive or what not.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I struggle with sweet and carb cravings a lot, and so far the only thing that works for me is trying to steer them in a healthier direction, like fried bananas, cherries or apples in butter (it's almost like eating a fruit pie). Or yoghurt and fruit smoothies (no sugar, but with a bit of honey if necessary for sweetness). I do allow myself a small piece of dark chocolate on most days. My self discipline is not very good and I just need to make sure I don't have anything in the house or I'll eat it.

I have a feeling these things have to do with blood sugar... I think ADs mess with your blood sugar in some way. I think the standard answer is to avoid carbs, and that by decreasing them the cravings will eventually subside. But I did the SCD/GAPS diets strictly for two months and I still had awful cravings, even more than I do now, so some of it maybe be psychological as well (like not being able to stop thinking about it because you know you "can't" have it).

I'm still trying to figure it out. I do know that the more you eat, the more you're going to crave them, because you'll create a pattern of quickly rising and then quickly dropping blood sugar that will leave you craving more.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

fried bananas, cherries or apples in butter (it's almost like eating a fruit pie).

That sounds soooo good! I have to try this.

I also think this w/d makes us crave the carbs and sweets. It might be some kind of subconscious desire to comfort ourselves.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I got a bunch of labwork back today and one of the many new things going on is pre-diabetic/Insulin Resistance which has been correlated with SS/NRIs ~i dont have it in my family and am underweight so don't fit typical profile

I know very little about this so far but I have been craving Coke Classic --ive always liked it but recently I haven't been able to guzzle fast enough ~the caffeine doesn't seem to bother my sleep

Im not trying to scare anyone ~just an FYI

Non alcoholic liver disease was another new dx

Ovarian failure

Elevated lipids

3 autoimmune diagnoses (thyroid/vitiligo and 1 other I dont remember)

Will write up more tomorrow

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

It might be some kind of subconscious desire to comfort ourselves.

Yes! That is so true... It makes you feel good, at least temporarily. Not only is it a treat to look forward to, it also raises your blood sugar and perhaps serotonin temporarily. The problem is if you crash afterwards or get into a bad cycle.

I think another key thing is to make sure you don't get too hungry or tired or thirsty so you can be stronger about not giving into the really bad cravings.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I got a bunch of labwork back today and one of the many new things going on is pre-diabetic/Insulin Resistance which has been correlated with SS/NRIs ~i dont have it in my family and am underweight so don't fit typical profile

I know very little about this so far but I have been craving Coke Classic --ive always liked it but recently I haven't been able to guzzle fast enough ~the caffeine doesn't seem to bother my sleep

Im not trying to scare anyone ~just an FYI

Non alcoholic liver disease was another new dx

Ovarian failure

Elevated lipids

3 autoimmune diagnoses (thyroid/vitiligo and 1 other I dont remember)

Will write up more tomorrow

What kind of numbers indicate this if you don't mind me asking? How is liver disease diagnosed?Is it elevated enzymes? How would you know if you are not routinely being checked? How often should someone be checked? I could drop of the face of the earth and my GP would not notice I had gone. Would never think to call me in to test me routinely. I would have to request it and not sure if I should be doing regularly. What do other people do?

I had very high blood sugar earlier on....it settled down somewhat but is not perfect. I do wonder sometimes if I will return to 'normal' figures. There is a type of diabetes I think it is called MODY or something that usually fits the profile of slim underweight people, not like type 2 diabetes. I also wonder if some of your numbers may be temporary?? What if your body returns to normal functioning after WD? Someone on here said that the other day, can't remember who it was, but their numbers improved the further out from withdrawal they were.

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

I listed the tests over in the Thyroid thread that Karma started

This was done by an aggressive endocrinologist ~some unusual tests I think~

He thought it was going to be HPA Axis failure but that 'appeared' ok aside from known autoimmune thyroid showing too high TSH

The ovarian failure is fairly straightforward I think ~treating w low dose estrogen patch and progesterone for now

Pre-Diabetes handling w diet for now possible metformin for insulin resistance

More testing to do but the list should give you an idea

I would not ever go to a GP for this ~there's alot of debate even among endocrinologists

Also Bone Density Testing is critical bc SSRIs may cause bone loss w prolonged use

Ill post more in other thread as I get info

Yes elevated liver enzymes plus special lipid testing

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I don't know what you exact diagnosis of the liver enzymes means but I found this regarding non alcoholic fatty liver etc. I am not sure about the whole paleo eating thing, but as a short term measure this man got his numbers back in an impressive way through diet. I thought you might find it interesting, although I am not sure it is relevant to your situation.

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

I had very high blood sugar earlier on....it settled down somewhat but is not perfect. I do wonder sometimes if I will return to 'normal' figures. There is a type of diabetes I think it is called MODY or something that usually fits the profile of slim underweight people, not like type 2 diabetes. I also wonder if some of your numbers may be temporary?? What if your body returns to normal functioning after WD? Someone on here said that the other day, can't remember who it was, but their numbers improved the further out from withdrawal they were.

Hi InNeedOfHope,

I also had high blood sugar levels when I first tried to stop the meds and tapered too fast - my finger prick test results were in the twenties. Since I stopped the meds my blood sugars have improved significantly but are now categorized as glucose resistant ( HbA1c average test result of 6 ). Given that I am still in w/d I am also hoping my sugars fully return to normal when I have recovered.

Can you remember what your very high blood sugar levels were?

Effexor 2002 - 2008

Prozac 2008 - June 2009

The worse was around 14. My morning reading was never below 6. I read Diabetes 101 and scared myself a little because the research there says that numbers should be lower than those accepted by doctors currently and that waiting for them to get out of control is too late then to act. I told my doctor these numbers and she said not to worry, her husband regularly goes up to those numbers it is no big deal. Yet, reading the info says that anything about 7.8 is no good ANYTIME and that you have to test around 45 mins after a meal and then every 15 mins until the 2 hour mark to see where your own peak lies.

I eventually stopped testing because it was upsetting me.I thought back to all the cravings I had on the drug and the amount of fudge and chocolate I had consumed. I was just careful to be very careful with carbs. I found wheat and bread the worst!!! It would keep numbers high for ages.

By the way adding cinnamon to porridge or other food really does work! It lowers the figure.

I did one or two tests a couple of months ago and the numbers had come down, but not my morning figure.

After this discussion coming up, I tested it this morning. My reading was 4.9!!! Haven't ever had that all through WD. I will prob check again tomorrow to make sure it was not a fluke.

Have you read Diabetes 101 there is lots of research on there, linked to journals etc, though I am not sure it is a good place to be for people with anxiety.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

Hi InNeedOfHope,

Thanks for the info - very interesting.

I have come across other people who have temporarily had dysfunctional blood sugars caused by these drugs who found their sugars returned to normal as they recovered - yet another side effect that is well documented in the medical community but not discussed with patients.

I also have carb/chocolate cravings and multiple food intolerances - I still eat chocolate but have cut out wheat, dairy, alcohol, and sugary foods and that has helped a lot not only with my blood sugars but also with my general w/d symptoms - thanks for the cinnamon tip, by the way, I will try it out!

Effexor 2002 - 2008

Prozac 2008 - June 2009

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had this experience? I binged on sweets like crazy while on effexor. Once I went cold turkey the cravings stopped and I lost about 15 pounds effortlessly. Now I find the cravings are returning. Did the ad trigger cravings? Why did the cravings go away when I went cold turkey? Why would they be creeping back now? Serotonin? Any ideas or experiences you have had would be appreciated.

Good question...I've had sugar cravings my whole life. I do think they increased from antidepresants.

This is one of the reasons I have wanted to get off these meds. Crazy meds...

All we wanted to do was stop depression - anxiety by taking a medication and we sure got a whole helluva more than we asked for.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone had this experience? I binged on sweets like crazy while on effexor. Once I went cold turkey the cravings stopped and I lost about 15 pounds effortlessly. Now I find the cravings are returning. Did the ad trigger cravings? Why did the cravings go away when I went cold turkey? Why would they be creeping back now? Serotonin? Any ideas or experiences you have had would be appreciated.

I get cravings big time with Lyrica, not the same thing, but in the hood. I will taste something, then take another bite, and another, and so on. To stop I need to remind myself the med is making me want more and more, but my body does not. I've lost 50 lbs while on Lyrica, but first put on a lot. Now my dose has gone up again, and I'm apparently stuck on twice what I was taking. Much more with carbs, perhaps for a sugar high.

Schuyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Oh yes, I had gained about 40 lbs on Paxil, and also the antipsychotics. I'm not craving the sweets now that I'm just on a low dose of Prozac. Hoping I can get my weight back down now.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Yes. How is your gut health? Any irritable bowel symptoms or anything like that?

I've had similar problems. I gained a lot of weight on Druds. The first year or so off I lost a lot of weight, but still maintained a healthy wight, so that was great since I was too heavy.

I had some disturbances and sweet cravings came back.

I am not sure our situations are the same - it is likely they are not actually. But if you share some more about your diet generally, any supplements or medications you still take and any gastro problems you also have, if any, I can recommend some web articles.

IMO, it's important to recovery to eat healthflly during this time.

Please elaborate a bit and I will share my experience and maye we will find some overlap that can help you.

Best,

Alex

- Zimmerman

Hi Alexejice. I don't have, fortunately, any GI troubles. I am taking supplements, same as I have for years. I also went off generic zocor since my cholesterol is way down since I haven't been bingeing. I take no prescription drugs at this point. I think that the cravings are related to emotional issues and for some reason, again fortunately, I am more able, since off the ads, to decide whether to binge or not. What articles have you found helpful? Thanks. P.S. I always read your name too fast and it was Alexjuice but now I slowed down and hope I got it right.

Well, there are some useful things I've encountered for sweet cravings believed to be caused by bad gut eco-system.

I've had problems with sweet cravings and I think they were in reaction to a restricted diet, intestinal micro-organism imbalance and also my w/d issues. The cravings would come after a week or 10 days of very simple eating which was also pretty low carb. Like clockwork, within 10 days, I would have cravings I could not withstand.

Your case sounds different, if you are eating a normal diet.

Just generally, from reading, I've learned the value of probiotic foods and supplements. Sometimes, I've read, bacteria in your gut induce cravings when they are not getting sifficient easy sustenance. Junk food, specially sweets, is great nourishment for them.

My name, alexejice, looks sorta funny, I know. It's a first and last name -- both fake. Alexej Ice. I just go by Alex.

best

- Zimmerman

I had incredible sugar cravings when I was tapering last time. It lifted my mood. I googled it at the time and came up with something about glucose and the brain, so it seemed as though it was a chemical thing, if that makes sense, not just me being weak willed!

I haven't had them so far this time, but early days.

Bubbles

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Oops, should have said "eating sugar lifted my mood". It was masses of sugar, not just a cup of sweet tea, it was a bag of candy. Most of my SSRI weight gain came from this (unsuccessful) taper.

B

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Lately I've been eating a lot of chocolate and it occurs to me that I have many feelings coming to the surface again (neuro-emotion?) and the chocolate, or the aftermath of bingeing on it, numbs the feelings. Knowing this, it may help me to resist the chocolate and allow the feelings and not be so afraid of them, whatever they are. Your, everyone's, posts have been so helpful overall.

I have bad carb/sugar cravings too and am just waiting for the results of some blood tests by my doctor. I had a test a month ago and fasting glucose came back as slightly abnormal.

Hope I'm not getting diabetes. :unsure:

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

I have bad carb/sugar cravings too and am just waiting for the results of some blood tests by my doctor. I had a test a month ago and fasting glucose came back as slightly abnormal.

Hope I'm not getting diabetes. :unsure:

I found out many years ago from my doctor, (as well as my mother's doctor, since we were both diabetic) that stress will definitely affect glucose levels.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• 2 years later...
  • Mentor

Chocolate cravings seem to often be associated with low magnesium. My naturopath actually suggested soaking my feet in an epsom salt bath when I was having intense chocolate cravings and muscle cramping. I dont know if some people have negative reactions to epsom salt soaks, but I know Ive seen epsom salt baths mentioned many times on this forum, for relaxation before bedtime (to get magnesium through the skin). Ive got my feet in an epsom salt soak as I type!

Thanks for that will get some epson salts, no I don't crave chocolate......    

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

It might be some kind of subconscious desire to comfort ourselves.

Yes! That is so true... It makes you feel good, at least temporarily. Not only is it a treat to look forward to, it also raises your blood sugar and perhaps serotonin temporarily. The problem is if you crash afterwards or get into a bad cycle.

I think another key thing is to make sure you don't get too hungry or tired or thirsty so you can be stronger about not giving into the really bad cravings.

My sugar addiction comes in the form of drinking wine.  I am so terrified not to have it in the house "cause I need it".  Now I have given up effexor,  the physical addiction has nearly gone, only the emotional need for it is there.  Hard to explain, but now I can drink one glass, have one glass of water, one glass of wine, two glasses of water, and so on, I find the third wine upsets the balance. I dont know if you could do this with other food addictions?  Ie Eat chocolate, then eat a healthy sandwich, then more chocolate?  I had a friend on ads who only ever ate carrots and sugar...  thats all,  she was a lovely tanned orange colour :)

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 2 years later...

I'm glad I found this. I feel better I'm not the only one who indulges excessively.

Especially bad when I'm feeling worse for wear which I have been recently, If my self control is flagging I'll undergo an almighty binge session and next thing I know my right forearm is caked in dried ice cream from scraping the bottom of a tub of chocolate fudge ice cream. Yes that's right the entire tub in one sitting along with anymore chocolates, sweets I come across. I'll then retire too the couch layed out imitating a beached whale wallowing in my own self pity telling myself negative things of how I'm such an absolute fattie. It's purely emotional eating. I'm pathetic aren't I?! Hahahaha.

I'm still slim I'll promise too stop if my trousers stop fitting or a phantom pregnancy is due

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

Yuppers!

This is something I am going to have to steal myself, and do something about - I need to lose weight anyway.

Chocolate, cakes and biscuits have been a go-to pick me up when my mood has been low.

I'm going to call my diet overhaul "Project Cacao", lol, or something along those lines.

Extremely tough to break a habit which makes one feel better at that moment but only serves to pile on pounds of weight, even with exercise thrown in.

Agggghhhhrr!

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I'm glad I found this. I feel better I'm not the only one who indulges excessively.

Especially bad when I'm feeling worse for wear which I have been recently, If my self control is flagging I'll undergo an almighty binge session and next thing I know my right forearm is caked in dried ice cream from scraping the bottom of a tub of chocolate fudge ice cream. Yes that's right the entire tub in one sitting along with anymore chocolates, sweets I come across. I'll then retire too the couch layed out imitating a beached whale wallowing in my own self pity telling myself negative things of how I'm such an absolute fattie. It's purely emotional eating. I'm pathetic aren't I?! Hahahaha.

I'm still slim I'll promise too stop if my trousers stop fitting or a phantom pregnancy is due

LOL! Sorry, this made me laugh so hard :0)

X

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

fried bananas, cherries or apples in butter (it's almost like eating a fruit pie).

That sounds soooo good! I have to try this.

I also think this w/d makes us crave the carbs and sweets. It might be some kind of subconscious desire to comfort ourselves.

Hmmm, lots of yummy stewed fruit, with a sprinkling of granola on top perhaps?

Now that's a delicious dessert if ever there was one!

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Some ideas for how to prevent sugar cravings in the first place:  http://www.irmaschutte.com/single-post/2017/02/02/H-A-L-T-your-sugar-craving-without-ditching-your-naughty-treats

'When you consume enough raw, green leafy plants, your blood sugar levels WILL stabilise. Get that sorted and you’ll be less likely to reach for your creamy chocolate, biscuit, donut or ice cream.'

There are recipes for green smoothies and explanations for how it all works in the link above.  I like the idea of not having (or lessening) the cravings in the first place, rather than struggle with them daily.  Now I just have to get off my butt and go pick some greens :).

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Some ideas for how to prevent sugar cravings in the first place:  http://www.irmaschutte.com/single-post/2017/02/02/H-A-L-T-your-sugar-craving-without-ditching-your-naughty-treats

'When you consume enough raw, green leafy plants, your blood sugar levels WILL stabilise. Get that sorted and you’ll be less likely to reach for your creamy chocolate, biscuit, donut or ice cream.'

There are recipes for green smoothies and explanations for how it all works in the link above.  I like the idea of not having (or lessening) the cravings in the first place, rather than struggle with them daily.  Now I just have to get off my butt and go pick some greens :).

Thanks Karen!

Major Life Events: 

• Altostrata changed the title to Sugar cravings - sweets, chocolate, carbs etc
  • 1 month later...

This topic is very helpful. I’m on my first 10% taper and feel the urges to binge creeping back. I didn’t realize there was documented evidence of blood sugar destabilization from these drugs, but I’m not surprised. 

I have been an emotional eater my life, and also eat naturally more than others without gaining significant weight. I’m fatigued all the time though, so I know there’s damage being done on the inside. 

I know that sleep is largely responsible for an erratic appetite. Little things like not drinking enough water, or starting the sugar cascade by eating a bunch of white bread and no protein/quality fat really sends me crashing too. 

I’ve been trying to get a handle on this for a while. Will be checking back here. Thank you all for the insight.

Beginning of slow taper: November 2017: 45mg liquid sertraline 

December 2017: 40 mg liquid sertraline

January 2018: 35 mg liquid sertraline

February 2018: 30mg liquid sertraline

March 20, 2018: 25 mg liquid sertraline

May 2nd, 2018: 20 mg liquid sertraline

June 1st, 2018: 18 mg liquid sertraline

July 2018: reinstatement to 20 mg liquid sertraline

September 21st, 2018: took 50mg sertraline for one day; reinstated back to 22mg liquid sertraline after

September 29th-30th: Ran out of liquid, taking 25 mg tablets to hold for two days until liquid scrip is ready

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy