SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

mutley

• Mentor

I am having more problems than I thought, now all the other drugs are out of my system seroquol is having a confusing effect on me.  Had to go to 50mg, to sleep, but wake up with a sort of rebounding anxiety.  25 mg was no good, woke up after 4 hours with panic attack.  Will try and stabilize on the 50mg.  Today I can actually get out of the house.  A good day.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Administrator

Zuca, I moved your post to start your topic in the Introductions forum

On 12/18/2014 at 8:23 PM, ang said:
I am having more problems than I thought, now all the other drugs are out of my system seroquol is having a confusing effect on me.  Had to go to 50mg, to sleep, but wake up with a sort of rebounding anxiety.  25 mg was no good, woke up after 4 hours with panic attack.  Will try and stabilize on the 50mg.  Today I can actually get out of the house.  A good day.

ang, it sounds like you, too, are having a paradoxical reaction to 50mg Seroquel and 25mg Seroquel. Please take this up in your Intro topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

ang, I moved your personal discussion to your Intro topic so this topic doesn't go off-track.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

i am on seroquel too. and was on 100mg and cut down to 50mg. i did it luckily at the begining of getting the tablets and cut down by a whole tablet at a time. i was already withdrawing of zyprexia so wouldnt notice the difference as the withdrawels were horrendous. however i'v been stuck on 50mg for months and decided to cut down by a quarter of a tablet per day. i did this for 25day. and went into withdrawel. the pharmacist told me the the seroqel are covered by an enteric coating and by cutting that the tablet was disolving in my upper stomach and i wasnt getting the correct dose.and thats is seemingly why i went into withdrawl. i also had terrible pains in my face and lips. they were burning and felt as if on fire. so i am now on the liquid. i am getting stable agaiin and taking 2.5ml of liquid twice per day as this is equal to 50mg in tablet form. then when i feel stabel again i will stat to cut down to 2ml in the morning and 2.5ml at night for a month and if this goes well i will cut down again. hope this helps. robina.x

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Robina, thank you for sharing your experience with us, perhaps you would like to start a topin in introductions 

so we can get to know you?  When you start to taper again we recommend tapering 10% of the current dose

every 4 weeks to avoid withdrawal symptoms. I am glad that you are able to get the liquid as it makes tapering

much easier. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

REQUEST

hi. I am having the devil of a time relocating a page about how to use a digital scale to cut up TABLETS that I saw on here a few seconds ago. i don't know but just maybe the lamictal & seroquel have impaired my brain. would it be possible to put all the info about the techno side of dose reduction on one page? how to use a scale, etc? I am ready to taper off but my pills are too small to cut up any smaller than quarters.

THANK YOU

Ruby

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

Robina. Were you cutting the ir pills. I just truce and got the same thing. Thought it was tardive dyskinesia. Are you in the uk where you got the liquid or was it compounded.

Klonopin 2mg 2000-2005 Tapered off without bad symptoms

Ativan 1mg 2007-2010 Tapered with moderate problems

Klonopin 16 total mgs in Jan and Feb 2014 - got dependent and foolishly updosed by bad doctor to 1.25mg for 4 weeks.  Then horrific detox and placed on Neurontin 100mg, bid, Propanolol 40mg prn, Seroquel 100mg qhs and Remeron 15mg qhs.  Quickly dropped Neurontin and Propanolol.   Stuck on other two meds and still having strong symptoms from klonopin cold turkey.  Want someday to be med free and healed again

• Administrator

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I want to start to reduce my Seraquel , Ive been taking it for 6 months and would like your advice on weather it's okay to drop more then 10% considering I've only been on it for a short time. I was going to reduce the Seraquel to 25mg and then start with my Paxil tappering.

Your advice is appreciated, thanks

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone,

I want to start to reduce my Seraquel , Ive been taking it for 6 months and would like your advice on weather it's okay to drop more then 10% considering I've only been on it for a short time. I was going to reduce the Seraquel to 25mg and then start with my Paxil tappering.

Your advice is appreciated, thanks

Hi Cheeky, I was on Seroquel for a few months back in 2008 and was able to taper off it quite quickly.  I was on 200mg for sleep (unfortunately lower doses did not work for me initially) and switched to the 25mg pills as my dose got lower.  I would cut off about an eighth of one pill, wait a few days until my sleep stabilised, then make another cut.  I think the key is to listen to your body, and adjust your taper accordingly.  I would recommend tapering off the Seroquel completely before beginning your Paxil taper, for two reasons - one, you have not been on it for long, so it will be easier to get off now than when you've been on longer - and two, it is a really nasty drug - don't stay on it longer than you have to.  Seroquel gave me muscle twitches in the legs that lasted for over a year after I was off it.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thanks songbird I will give a go and see what happens , when will I know, in a couple of days ?

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

• Moderator Emeritus

I noticed a reduction in sleep quality immediately, which improved again after a few days.  The drop was small enough that I could still sleep, it just wasn't such good quality of sleep.  You will need to observe and find your own pattern.  Getting off a drug after only a few months is different to getting off after a long term of use, so the timings and drops needed will vary between individuals. 

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

We recommend a 10% decrease per month for anyone taking a drug for more than a month. You might be able to go faster -- you'll have to negotiate that with your own nervous system.

If you want to go faster with 10% drops, we suggest intervals of no less than 2 weeks, as withdrawal symptoms have a way of sneaking up on you.

If you wish to try smaller decreases more frequently, that might work -- see Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

You will still need to do this systematically, so you can get a sense of what you can tolerate, as Songbird did.

• 1 month later...

I been on a 1000 mg of Deprakine(Depakote)and 400mg of Seroquel.

I tapered Deprakine successfully by dry cutting to 500mg. Started with Seroquel liquid titration 1mg a day. 120days and 120mg was away smoothly- then whole family got stomach flu and I got to put it back up, after a week tried to take 20mg away and hold but WD was bad and I had to put it back again.

Could you please send me a spreed sheet of the best form of tapering?

Is 10% easier than even smaler reductions, something like 5ml per 2 weeks?

Is there recomended amout of time I shoul wait before trying again?

Deprakine(Depakote)1000mg down to 500mg

Seroquel 400mg-380mg

back up to 400mg :excl:

20mg away awful WD :ph34r:

400mg back :excl:

:angry: ready to get it down to 200mg c

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Marco,

Please see the response in your introduction thread here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8800-marco-seroquel-and-deprakine-depakote/?p=147121

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think this 10% rule applies to 25mg of seroquel too?

From my knowledge, at a dose so low it works as an antihistamine as opposed to anti psychotic properties

I tapered faster than 10% from 37.5 mg Seroquel to 12.5. it was rough, very rough.I do NOT recommend it.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

Do you think this 10% rule applies to 25mg of seroquel too?

From my knowledge, at a dose so low it works as an antihistamine as opposed to anti psychotic properties

I tapered faster than 10% from 37.5 mg Seroquel to 12.5. it was rough, very rough.I do NOT recommend it.

Hi RubyTuesday

What was your starting dose?

How long did you take to taper?

My starting dose was 200mg, but I had to come down to 100mg in one go, because my feet and ankles swelled so badly with water retention that i found it difficult to walk.

I hadn't been on 200mg long, so the jump was easy, but i tapered the rest over a good few months, and jumped off at a quarter of a 25mg pill. It didn't feel rough physically, but I think I had a one-off psychotic episode, because, shortly afterwards, I was convinced I owed over £20,000 in taxes as I had not submitted my paperwork for a long time. I got really paranoid and made my self ill over it.

When I eventually did submit my paperwork, I owed something like £20.

My seroquel dose was not an anti-psychotic dose, so I am not sure if this episode was down to the pills. Not even sure if it was psychosis, but psychotic delusion is the only way I can explain being convinced i owed thousands when I didnt.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

top dose of Seroquel was 50 mg on an as-needed basis. prescribed for insomnia. (it was really AD wd, undiagnosed.) 2 tabs, 25 mg each. never took less than 25 mg Seroquel every night since Fall 2011. am now taking half that since September 2014. started cutting tabs in quarters, so was essentially reducing by either 1/8th or 1/4 of the dose. had severe depersonalization hitting me like a whack on the head out of nowhere, anxiety, the shakes, lights going on and off, mostly off, etc. Whenever I taper off the remaining 1/2 of a 25 mg tab, I plan to reduce by 5% of the dose at a time. right now working on reducing Lamictal.

hit AD wd, menopause, and mom dying all at once, as well as empty nest syndrome. just didn't understand the WD issue. still have severe morning anxiety and bouts of crying, but over all I feel much better, more clear in the head, am back in school and heading for renewed career plans.

lots of love and hugs to you!!!

Ruby

Edited by Altostrata
deleted table that was unreadable

oops, my table did not copy, I will have to re-do this later.

short version: cut low dose of Seroquel in quarters, making it 1/8 or 1/4 of the dose, over a period of about a year.

back at ya later today..

• Administrator

Ruby, you may wish to insert your table as a graphic.

ok, no idea how to do that. my son the tech guy has class tonight.

• 3 months later...
  • Mentor

How is everyone going with their seroquol tapers?  I am finding mine hard to reduce..............

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ang, I have just started tapering off of my Seroquel.  I was on 50mg for 7 or 8 years, and cut the pill in half a month ago.  I updosed to 47mg two days ago because the anxiety/panic was unmanageable at my job.  We will get through this!  We just need to go really slowly...

Date 11/1/2000? 20 mg Paxil

12/1/2007? 0 mg Paxil

9/1/2008? 10 mg paxil 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

3/28/2015 10 mg paxil 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

4/11/2015 5 mg paxil 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

4/25/2015 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

5/27/2015 10mg prozac 125 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel

6/10/2015 10mg prozac 50 mg seroquel

9/9/2015 10 mg prozac 25 mg seroquel

9/29/2015 10 mg prozac 35 mg seroquel

10/1/2015 10 mg prozac 47 mg seroquel

10/10/2015 10 mg prozac 45 mg seroquel 6/3/2016 6 mg Prozac 25 mg seroquel

• 2 months later...

I tapered off the lower doses of Seroquel successfully. It took a long time. I used a digital scale, (found a link on this site), my son who was studying chemistry helped me figure out how to use it, I cut into crumbs then weighed them. I found a vitamin supplement program called The Road Back by Jim Harper. I got acupuncture. Even with all of that I still had to wait at least a month in between reductions. But keep the faith, it is worth it. I feel your pain.Seriously. You can do it. It is very difficult, but if I can do it,then you can too.

love & support

RubyTuesday

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask to the ones who tapered seroquel at which dosage you jumped? (I know it's different for everyone) But I would like to have an idea. 
Thank you!

Several ssri's, antipsychotics, opiads and benzo's since 2003.

Flurazepam: rapid taper after 6 weeks usage in beginning of march 2015

Trazodone: rapid taper from 50ms to 0mgs end of july 2015

Current medication:12 mgs seroquel (from 25mgs)

I was at 1/2 of 25 mg for about a year, or 12.5 mg. Then I cut it in half to about 6.25 mg for about a month? or 2 or 3? then I cut it in half to approx 3.12 & change for 2 weeks? and then I jumped off. I was using a digital scale at this point.  I knew this was too fast but I was getting severe episodes of muscle cramping and they were increasing so I jumped off. 3 months out I had a bad attack of dystonia and got into the dyskinisia/dystonia from Seroquel lawsuit page on Facebook. It just so happened that I googled "severe muscle cramping from psych meds" the same day that the guy posted the class action lawsuit. He is trying to get enough folks for a class action lawsuit, so go check it out.

I was at 1/2 of 25 mg for about a year, or 12.5 mg. Then I cut it in half to about 6.25 mg for about a month? or 2 or 3? then I cut it in half to approx 3.12 & change for 2 weeks? and then I jumped off. I was using a digital scale at this point.  I knew this was too fast but I was getting severe episodes of muscle cramping and they were increasing so I jumped off. 3 months out I had a bad attack of dystonia and got into the dyskinisia/dystonia from Seroquel lawsuit page on Facebook. It just so happened that I googled "severe muscle cramping from psych meds" the same day that the guy posted the class action lawsuit. He is trying to get enough folks for a class action lawsuit, so go check it out.

Sorry, actually I cut off 1/3 of half the tab to approx 8 mg for a few weeks, then to approx 4 mg, then off. I can go look up the exact schedule in my journals if you want.

I'm at 17mgs now, scared of running out off pills because the doctor thinks i'm tapering too slow (and he prescribes monthly have to go back every month) 
I already have a lot of muscle problems and I was a dancer too :( hate what these doctors have done to us. 

so sorry your doc thinks you are tapering too slow, I admit I kind of stockpiled by not telling him/her I was tapering until long after I was, so I had enough

So your muscle problems actually got better after quitting the seroquel?  How are you now? 

They did get a lot better initially, as I had had a left joint hip cramp that had become chronic, it cleared up immediately and I was able to take about 30 ballet classes without a recurrence, however I had also had several acupuncture sessions for the hip.

However about 2.5 months out I had a minor fall on the sidewalk and later that day my entire right hip seized up and I was unable to move for about 2 days. Upon reflection I traced every dystonic episode back to some sort of strain that I used to be able to handle, such as pulling weeds, moving furniture, etc. I have now concluded that I have a mild case of episodic dystonia related to such formerly normal demands on my muscles.

I have not bothered to discuss any of this with my doctors. I have absolutely no faith in such people. And absolutely no interest in further meds. Although actually one lady did prescribe magnesium supplements which seem to be helping. Otherwise i do acupuncture, chiropractic and other alternative treatments, and I am doubling up my yoga and meditation practices with the aim of being very careful in my demands on my body unless and until I am completely re-trained and warmed up.

When I take ballet classes I only do the barre exercises and not at all to my former capacity. I have not yet trusted my balance enough to re-engage in the floor work to any degree. The most unfortunate part is that I do not trust my body to re-engage in my former profession of kidcare full time, as the demands on my body can be sudden and urgent in that line of work.

So I am disabled by psych meds and receiving disability for so-called mental illness which I see as disabling me only because of the meds. A real paradox.

• Administrator

Folks, please take discussions of your particular situations to the Intro forum so this topic will be easier to read for those who want Tips for Tapering off Seroquel. Thank you.

Then i make a seroquel topic in the intro forum? I find this a very difficult type of lay out. I thought the intro forum was for intro's? 

• Administrator

Intro topics are for you to track your progress and discuss your own situation. You can add posts to your Intro topic here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8819-lanah-polydrugged-still-on-trazodone-and-seroquel/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  Firstly, I greatly appreciate all of the insight and ideas.  Secondly, a question about my options:

Background - I'm on 100mg of Seroquel for sleep.  I've been on it for 6 years.  I want to get off (or reduce as much as possible.  I've tried to reduce dosage on 2 occasions (prior to finding this site).  First time I tried taking 75mg.  I had a horrible night and went right back to 100mg.  A year later I tried 87.5mg.  Same result, so I went right back to 100mg.

Question - Based on those experiences, is there anything wrong with trying a 5% reduction (using a mg scale as other posts suggest) for the first couple weeks to see how I react - rather than the 10% reduction that's recommended here?  I think I'd be less fearful (trying to avoid nocebo effect) if I tried a smaller reduction first.

Also, would there be any benefit to taking some melatonin the first couple nights of the reduction to help with the transition?

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Justin,

I think trying a 5% reduction would be a great idea. Adding melatonin at the same time probably wouldn't be a good idea because whatever happens, or doesn't happen, you wont know whether to attribute it to the drug cut or the melatonin. If you can establish the right rate of tapering for you personally, you shouldn't need to add anything else to help with sleep.

Please would you start an introduction topic for yourself here:  Introductions and updates  so we can get to know you and continue providing ongoing support and suggestions relevant to your specific situation.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy