If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#73 ang

ang

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationAlbany, Western Australia

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

How is everyone going with their seroquol tapers?  I am finding mine hard to reduce..............

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

#74 BipolarNoMo

BipolarNoMo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationChantilly

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

Hi Ang, I have just started tapering off of my Seroquel.  I was on 50mg for 7 or 8 years, and cut the pill in half a month ago.  I updosed to 47mg two days ago because the anxiety/panic was unmanageable at my job.  We will get through this!  We just need to go really slowly...

Date 11/1/2000? 20 mg Paxil
12/1/2007? 0 mg Paxil
9/1/2008? 10 mg paxil 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel
3/28/2015 10 mg paxil 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel
4/11/2015 5 mg paxil 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel
4/25/2015 10 mg prozac 250 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel
5/27/2015 10mg prozac 125 mg depakote 50 mg seroquel
6/10/2015 10mg prozac 50 mg seroquel
9/9/2015 10 mg prozac 25 mg seroquel
9/29/2015 10 mg prozac 35 mg seroquel
10/1/2015 10 mg prozac 47 mg seroquel
10/10/2015 10 mg prozac 45 mg seroquel 6/3/2016 6 mg Prozac 25 mg seroquel

#75 RubyTuesday

RubyTuesday

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

I tapered off the lower doses of Seroquel successfully. It took a long time. I used a digital scale, (found a link on this site), my son who was studying chemistry helped me figure out how to use it, I cut into crumbs then weighed them. I found a vitamin supplement program called The Road Back by Jim Harper. I got acupuncture. Even with all of that I still had to wait at least a month in between reductions. But keep the faith, it is worth it. I feel your pain.Seriously. You can do it. It is very difficult, but if I can do it,then you can too.

love & support

RubyTuesday

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. applied for disability. awaiting case to be settled.also back in school slowly & carefully. have not worked full time in 10 years. NOW: Seroquel 12.5 mg. Lamictal 75% of 50 mg. 

GOT DISABILITY. USING THE ROAD BACK JAMES HARPER VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS. OFF OF SEROQUEL OCTOBER 2, 2015. Tapered off Lamictal approx 5 mg per month until Wednesday April 23 2016 jumped off at about 20 mg. (dissolved in water.) Feel great mentally & emotionally but physically like a mild flu, achey, heavy, dizzy, uncoordinated but nonetheless still better than the last few months of tapering. Worked Fall 2015 while withdrawing Seroquel then quit all school & work again February 2016 in order to get off the drugs.p.s. the worst of the morning panic disappeared the morning I stopped the Lamictal.

http://robertwhitake...n Epidemic.html

#76 lanah

lanah

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Can I ask to the ones who tapered seroquel at which dosage you jumped? (I know it's different for everyone) But I would like to have an idea. 
Thank you!

Several ssri's, antipsychotics, opiads and benzo's since 2003.

Flurazepam: rapid taper after 6 weeks usage in beginning of march 2015

Trazodone: rapid taper from 50ms to 0mgs end of july 2015

Current medication:12 mgs seroquel (from 25mgs)

#77 RubyTuesday

RubyTuesday

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

I was at 1/2 of 25 mg for about a year, or 12.5 mg. Then I cut it in half to about 6.25 mg for about a month? or 2 or 3? then I cut it in half to approx 3.12 & change for 2 weeks? and then I jumped off. I was using a digital scale at this point.  I knew this was too fast but I was getting severe episodes of muscle cramping and they were increasing so I jumped off. 3 months out I had a bad attack of dystonia and got into the dyskinisia/dystonia from Seroquel lawsuit page on Facebook. It just so happened that I googled "severe muscle cramping from psych meds" the same day that the guy posted the class action lawsuit. He is trying to get enough folks for a class action lawsuit, so go check it out.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. applied for disability. awaiting case to be settled.also back in school slowly & carefully. have not worked full time in 10 years. NOW: Seroquel 12.5 mg. Lamictal 75% of 50 mg. 

GOT DISABILITY. USING THE ROAD BACK JAMES HARPER VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS. OFF OF SEROQUEL OCTOBER 2, 2015. Tapered off Lamictal approx 5 mg per month until Wednesday April 23 2016 jumped off at about 20 mg. (dissolved in water.) Feel great mentally & emotionally but physically like a mild flu, achey, heavy, dizzy, uncoordinated but nonetheless still better than the last few months of tapering. Worked Fall 2015 while withdrawing Seroquel then quit all school & work again February 2016 in order to get off the drugs.p.s. the worst of the morning panic disappeared the morning I stopped the Lamictal.

#78 RubyTuesday

RubyTuesday

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

I was at 1/2 of 25 mg for about a year, or 12.5 mg. Then I cut it in half to about 6.25 mg for about a month? or 2 or 3? then I cut it in half to approx 3.12 & change for 2 weeks? and then I jumped off. I was using a digital scale at this point.  I knew this was too fast but I was getting severe episodes of muscle cramping and they were increasing so I jumped off. 3 months out I had a bad attack of dystonia and got into the dyskinisia/dystonia from Seroquel lawsuit page on Facebook. It just so happened that I googled "severe muscle cramping from psych meds" the same day that the guy posted the class action lawsuit. He is trying to get enough folks for a class action lawsuit, so go check it out.

Sorry, actually I cut off 1/3 of half the tab to approx 8 mg for a few weeks, then to approx 4 mg, then off. I can go look up the exact schedule in my journals if you want.

#79 lanah

lanah

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

I'm at 17mgs now, scared of running out off pills because the doctor thinks i'm tapering too slow (and he prescribes monthly have to go back every month) 
I already have a lot of muscle problems and I was a dancer too :( hate what these doctors have done to us. 

#80 RubyTuesday

RubyTuesday

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

so sorry your doc thinks you are tapering too slow, I admit I kind of stockpiled by not telling him/her I was tapering until long after I was, so I had enough

#81 lanah

lanah

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

So your muscle problems actually got better after quitting the seroquel?  How are you now? 

#82 RubyTuesday

RubyTuesday

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

They did get a lot better initially, as I had had a left joint hip cramp that had become chronic, it cleared up immediately and I was able to take about 30 ballet classes without a recurrence, however I had also had several acupuncture sessions for the hip.

However about 2.5 months out I had a minor fall on the sidewalk and later that day my entire right hip seized up and I was unable to move for about 2 days. Upon reflection I traced every dystonic episode back to some sort of strain that I used to be able to handle, such as pulling weeds, moving furniture, etc. I have now concluded that I have a mild case of episodic dystonia related to such formerly normal demands on my muscles.

I have not bothered to discuss any of this with my doctors. I have absolutely no faith in such people. And absolutely no interest in further meds. Although actually one lady did prescribe magnesium supplements which seem to be helping. Otherwise i do acupuncture, chiropractic and other alternative treatments, and I am doubling up my yoga and meditation practices with the aim of being very careful in my demands on my body unless and until I am completely re-trained and warmed up.

When I take ballet classes I only do the barre exercises and not at all to my former capacity. I have not yet trusted my balance enough to re-engage in the floor work to any degree. The most unfortunate part is that I do not trust my body to re-engage in my former profession of kidcare full time, as the demands on my body can be sudden and urgent in that line of work.

So I am disabled by psych meds and receiving disability for so-called mental illness which I see as disabling me only because of the meds. A real paradox.

#83 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Folks, please take discussions of your particular situations to the Intro forum so this topic will be easier to read for those who want Tips for Tapering off Seroquel. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#84 lanah

lanah

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:48 AM

Then i make a seroquel topic in the intro forum? I find this a very difficult type of lay out. I thought the intro forum was for intro's? 

#85 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Intro topics are for you to track your progress and discuss your own situation. You can add posts to your Intro topic here http://survivinganti...e-and-seroquel/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#86 Justin

Justin

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  Firstly, I greatly appreciate all of the insight and ideas.  Secondly, a question about my options:

Background - I'm on 100mg of Seroquel for sleep.  I've been on it for 6 years.  I want to get off (or reduce as much as possible.  I've tried to reduce dosage on 2 occasions (prior to finding this site).  First time I tried taking 75mg.  I had a horrible night and went right back to 100mg.  A year later I tried 87.5mg.  Same result, so I went right back to 100mg.

Question - Based on those experiences, is there anything wrong with trying a 5% reduction (using a mg scale as other posts suggest) for the first couple weeks to see how I react - rather than the 10% reduction that's recommended here?  I think I'd be less fearful (trying to avoid nocebo effect) if I tried a smaller reduction first.

Also, would there be any benefit to taking some melatonin the first couple nights of the reduction to help with the transition?

Thanks

#87 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,594 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

Welcome Justin,

I think trying a 5% reduction would be a great idea. Adding melatonin at the same time probably wouldn't be a good idea because whatever happens, or doesn't happen, you wont know whether to attribute it to the drug cut or the melatonin. If you can establish the right rate of tapering for you personally, you shouldn't need to add anything else to help with sleep.

Please would you start an introduction topic for yourself here:  Introductions and updates  so we can get to know you and continue providing ongoing support and suggestions relevant to your specific situation.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#88 Songbird

Songbird

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

is there anything wrong with trying a 5% reduction (using a mg scale as other posts suggest) for the first couple weeks to see how I react - rather than the 10% reduction that's recommended here?

Nothing wrong with it, it's a good idea.  The 10% is the maximum recommended dose cut, so less than 10% is also okay.  Some people find 10% too much, but are successful with smaller percentage drops.

Also, would there be any benefit to taking some melatonin the first couple nights of the reduction to help with the transition?

I agree with Petunia that it would be better to try the drop first to see how it goes, and not confuse things with melatonin.  However, as someone who has been on Seroquel for sleep and used melatonin to transition, I can say it worked for me.  I would try the very small drop in dose first - you might find that you don't need to add the melatonin.  If you experience mild to moderate sleep difficulties but have no major w/d symptoms, then you could try melatonin to help with sleep.  If you experience major sleep problems or other major w/d symptoms then you might have dropped too much. 

2001-2002 Jul - Feb Aropax 2003 Feb-Dec Citalopram 2004 Jul Aropax 20mg
2005-2007 various failed tapers  2007 Feb 20mg … Nov 6mg
2008 Jan 5.5mg Feb 5mg Mar 4.5mg Apr 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
2009 24 Jan 12.5mg … 18 Dec 6.3mg     2010 30 Aug 6.15mg 28 Nov 6 mg
2011 20 Feb 5.9mg … 26 Dec 5.3mg       2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg … 15 Dec 4.4mg       2014 18 Jan 4.3mg … 8 Dec 3.45mg
2015 Jan 3.4mg Apr 3.3mg May 3.2mg Jul 3.1mg Aug 3.0mg 18 Sep 2.9mg 24 Nov 2.8mg 25 Dec 2.7mg

2016 5 Feb 2.6mg

Blog: http://anxietystuff.weebly.com

#89 lanah

lanah

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

If I would do a microtaper how fast would I go? 

#90 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

See Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

#91 freespirit123

freespirit123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

Just wanted to give a heads up about my tapering. I have successfully tapered off Sero., 3 wks and going strong!

If I can do it, so can you. I took it for bedtime along with Lunesta which I'm still taking. I feel so much better off of it. No more shaky hands or anxiety. It was actually causing more anxious thoughts for me. So glad I'm off!

I had a couple of bad nights and has to take Ativan for about 2-3 nights (.25mg) but that's it. I still have early wake up but I've been using Magnesium, Melatonin (1mg) and salt and honey and it gets me back to sleep.

I'm here if anyone has questions. You can do it!!!!
Never been on a drug in my life, Had UTI was put on several antibiotics & lost my sleep.
Seroqoil in Sept '15
Was put on Ativan &/or Klonopin, stopped both Lunesta in Aug '15 3mg
Celexa since Oct '15 40mg
UPDATE as of Aug 15,2016
OFF ALL except celexa 40mg 🙏
Supplements: Fish Oil, 1000mg D3, 500mg B12, Probiotics, prebiotics, Standard Process Hypothalamus PMG, Theanine serene with relora
Very spiritual and meditate daily. Positive thinking can accomplish a lot! READ Effortless Sleep Method, life changing!

#92 freespirit123

freespirit123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

However I do have a question and tried to find online and couldn't. How long does it take for your brain to get back to normal after Sero use?
Never been on a drug in my life, Had UTI was put on several antibiotics & lost my sleep.
Seroqoil in Sept '15
Was put on Ativan &/or Klonopin, stopped both Lunesta in Aug '15 3mg
Celexa since Oct '15 40mg
UPDATE as of Aug 15,2016
OFF ALL except celexa 40mg 🙏
Supplements: Fish Oil, 1000mg D3, 500mg B12, Probiotics, prebiotics, Standard Process Hypothalamus PMG, Theanine serene with relora
Very spiritual and meditate daily. Positive thinking can accomplish a lot! READ Effortless Sleep Method, life changing!

#93 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

This varies from person to person. Recovery will be very gradual and probably in waves and windows.

#94 maria323

maria323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hi freespirit123! what kind of magnesium do u use? Do u take it at night along with the melatonin? I don't have a problem getting to sleep but I wake at 2 or 3 ish and need something to get me back to sleep. I've been taking 12.5 of seroquel as needed but I want to stop taking it.

On antidepressants for almost 20 years due to situational anxiety. I was in a bad marriage, bad divorce, raising 3 boys by myself, stressful job etc. The drugs were Paxil, Effexor and most recently Cymbalta for 10 years. Each time I tried to get off the drugs I would get panic and anxiety attacks. My Dr. would tell me it was my anxiety coming back so I would get back on the Antidepressant rollercoaster. I had a therapist who told me I should get off the toxic poison. He didn't think I needed it. I tapered off 60 mg over 9 months. I completely stopped the poison on 04/20/2015. I have been in withdrawal for 8 months. I currently suffer from bouts of anxiety, uncontrollable crying, insomnia and fatigue. I was also taking .5 Lorazepam as needed for anxiety and 25 mg of seroquel for sleep. I currently take Snooze-in from Vitamin Shoppe to help with sleep, Spray on Magnesium, Krill oil, Lavender and Frankincense essential oils for relaxation and inositol when I remember to take it:)

#95 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

Please take discussions of magnesium to the magnesium topic in Symptoms, or discuss on freespirit's Intro topic. It is off-topic here.

#96 lanah

lanah

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

Can someone help me set up a liquid microtaper for seroquel?
Which liquid do I use, what kind of tools do I need? I'm at about 15 mg , i was considering tapering 0,1 mg at first. But I'm too brain fogged to really read through a lot of threads so if someone could help me with a specific plan that would be very helpful, thank you
I'm afraid that the powder wouldn't be totally absorbed and I would be taking weird dosages

#97 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Read http://survivinganti...iapine/?p=33069

#98 Alia02

Alia02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

I have found this drug much harder to drop that the anti depressant. Its going to take a while. I have been on it for about 20 years.

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

#99 aries19835

aries19835

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

does anyone have a dosage guideline for seroquel? Like at what point it is only on histamine, serotonin, and dopamine. At what dosage should the taper be really careful about? Also at what dosage seroquel is for schizophrenia, bipolar, mania, and finally insomnia?

abilify 2 years
zyprexa 5mg 3yearsn 10mg 3 years, 15 mg 3 years
seroquel 200mg 3 weeks, 175 mg 6 days, 150mg 5-29-16
125mg 6/10/16 100mg 6/20/16 87.5mg 7/8/16

#100 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hi, aries. The receptor occupancy of Seroquel at various dosages is not really relevant to tapering. As long as reducing the drug cause withdrawal symptoms, you need to taper.

While psychiatry pretends there are definite "therapeutic" dosages, the fact is that dosage is individual (usually, the prescribed dosage is too high), whether the dosage is "therapeutic" is completely subjective (often the doctor's opinion), and drug treatment of any psychiatric condition is trial and error.

#101 Alia02

Alia02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for that info Altostrata. I certainly do feel like the research re Seroquel withdrawl and its impact has not been done yet. My experiences of it are certainly much different than what I was told I would experience. (Also one a pain Psych told me he didnt need to undertake  research because my reaction to drugs was his research and that I was the experiment. I remember laughing with him...but not now)

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

#102 Rainmaker7

Rainmaker7

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRome, Italy

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:43 AM

Hi everyone, 

I would like to confirm that I am understanding this thing correctly: is it OK to taper standard Seroquel by cutting the pill (without making a liquid form)? 

I take 50 mg (2 pills of 25 mg each), I bought a digital scale and it's  accurate in measuring. So I started by reducing 5% and then 10%.

[Before I tried to dissolve a pill in water and it seems that some powder remains attached to the glass. I find more comfortable by cutting the pill.]

The coating seems to be just a very thin layer, I don't think it 's meant to have a use as a gastrointestinal protection.

Thanks for your help  :)

#103 mammaP

mammaP

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hi Rainmaker, welcome to SA. Yes that is fine, here is the post that explains in detail the ways to taper seroquel / quetiapine. 

You will need to leave at least 3 weeks between cuts. Tapering fast can result in psychosis, even if it wan't prescribed for psychosis! 

Would you like to start a topic in the intro forum, so we can get to know you? That would be your journal where you can log your progress and ask any questions about your taper.  The intro forum is also a good place for doctors to see case histories and the devastating effects that some drugs have on people, and how some people taper successfully by using the 10% method.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

See how to create a signature here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many drugs for many years, prescribed diazepam first 1973, took occasionally. 3 or 4 tricyclics  for short periods.

1993 had a breakdown leading to 10 years of drug experiments with all classes of psych drugs.

2002  effexor. 

Tapered by counting beads from March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Also tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg -hold- Feb2016 46mg  March 8 2016 45 April 44mg  May 11  43mg June 14 42mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic.

My story http://survivinganti...king-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Following every sunset is a brand new day

#104 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:13 AM

I'm tapering Seroquel, too, Rainmaker, and have been cutting using a scale. It's slow going, but it does seem to work to dry cut it.

2005-2006 Rapid taper off of Zoloft. Horrible but survived. Adverse drug reaction to Prozac.

2010-2013 Night panics. All typical sleep aids failed. Diagnosed with complex PTSD.

2013-present: Valium (5mg x 3) prescribed by pro-benzo doctor. Helped me sleep for awhile. Then sleep began to get worse again.

Nov. 2014 Switched doctors. New doctor was anti-benzo but thought a 3-month taper was a slow taper. Failed and reinstated. Added 25mg Seroquel for sleep.

Sept. 2015 Made occasional very small dry cuts to the Seroquel. Down to 20mg. Did not notice much change in symptoms.

March 2016 Reduced gabapentin by 20% by accident and backed up again. (Was trying to feel less sedated.) Reduced again more slowly to 200+200+300.

Sept 2016 Down to 16.5mg of Seroquel. Disabling neuropathy and sleep poor. Backed up to 19mg. Improved.

October 2016 Liquefied one V tablet. Neuropathy back immediately. Waiting to liquefy another.

November 2016 All 3 tablets now dissolved. I think the windows are getting a little more frequent but they don't last long. Sleep poor.

January 2017 Felt stable enough to try daily microtaper. Started at 3% and inched up to almost 10%. Became very unstable. Terrors back. Neuropathy back.

February 2017 Holding again. Slow improvements.

March 2017 Neuropathy back to tolerable. Making very tiny cuts, about 3%/month.

#105 Rainmaker7

Rainmaker7

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRome, Italy

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:52 AM

Hi Rainmaker, welcome to SA. Yes that is fine, here is the post that explains in detail the ways to taper seroquel / quetiapine. 

You will need to leave at least 3 weeks between cuts. Tapering fast can result in psychosis, even if it wan't prescribed for psychosis! 

Would you like to start a topic in the intro forum, so we can get to know you? That would be your journal where you can log your progress and ask any questions about your taper.  The intro forum is also a good place for doctors to see case histories and the devastating effects that some drugs have on people, and how some people taper successfully by using the 10% method.  :)

thanks a lot mammaP

I'm tapering Seroquel, too, Rainmaker, and have been cutting using a scale. It's slow going, but it does seem to work to dry cut it.

Hi MNgal1960, good luck to you too. It's tough road but we have to make it

#106 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

Well, I am getting very frustrated with the dry cutting. I just dread doing it, but it looks like Seroquel is not really very soluble in water, if my understanding of this thread is correct. I find som eo fhte links very confusing. :(  Is it best to stick with dry cutting?

2005-2006 Rapid taper off of Zoloft. Horrible but survived. Adverse drug reaction to Prozac.

2010-2013 Night panics. All typical sleep aids failed. Diagnosed with complex PTSD.

2013-present: Valium (5mg x 3) prescribed by pro-benzo doctor. Helped me sleep for awhile. Then sleep began to get worse again.

Nov. 2014 Switched doctors. New doctor was anti-benzo but thought a 3-month taper was a slow taper. Failed and reinstated. Added 25mg Seroquel for sleep.

Sept. 2015 Made occasional very small dry cuts to the Seroquel. Down to 20mg. Did not notice much change in symptoms.

March 2016 Reduced gabapentin by 20% by accident and backed up again. (Was trying to feel less sedated.) Reduced again more slowly to 200+200+300.

Sept 2016 Down to 16.5mg of Seroquel. Disabling neuropathy and sleep poor. Backed up to 19mg. Improved.

October 2016 Liquefied one V tablet. Neuropathy back immediately. Waiting to liquefy another.

November 2016 All 3 tablets now dissolved. I think the windows are getting a little more frequent but they don't last long. Sleep poor.

January 2017 Felt stable enough to try daily microtaper. Started at 3% and inched up to almost 10%. Became very unstable. Terrors back. Neuropathy back.

#107 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,845 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

MNGal -- Seroquel is "moderately soluble" in water.  The implication of moderate solubility is that you will have undissolved particles in the liquid. To deal with that, you shake the liquid and remove a dose from the centre of the suspension.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, taper details in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15;
Current dose: 5.1 mg (47 beads) 2017-Mar-25
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#108 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Thanks, Scallywag. I will try that and see what happens.