If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#37 Risperdrawlin

Risperdrawlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the site recommendation. It was really useful. 

Was taking: 2 mg Risperdal

50 mg Lamictal

100 mg Zoloft

Currently taking:

0 mg Risperdal- finished 6/20/2015

0 mg Lamictal- finished 10/6/2015

0 mg Zoloft- finished ~March 2016

I am med-free!!

My intro thread: http://survivinganti...ion-eventually/

#38 Risperdrawlin

Risperdrawlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

Hi, can anyone who has come off Risperdal safely and relatively easily tell me at what dose they jumped off? I'm currently on 0.125 mg and have been for about 50 days (just over 7 weeks). Tonight I am probably going to cut to 0.0625 mg (50% cut). I am thinking I will jump off after spending a month or two at 0.03 mg or 0.01 mg depending on how I feel. What have other folks done?

Thanks!

Was taking: 2 mg Risperdal

50 mg Lamictal

100 mg Zoloft

Currently taking:

0 mg Risperdal- finished 6/20/2015

0 mg Lamictal- finished 10/6/2015

0 mg Zoloft- finished ~March 2016

I am med-free!!

My intro thread: http://survivinganti...ion-eventually/

#39 banana

banana

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

Hi here's my tapering off experience:

I was on 4 mg of risperdal  after being diagnosed with psychosis, and started tapering off three months later. 

I didnt like the drug because I felt lifeless and it was too sad for me. My psychiatrist said I would have to stay on the drug for another year to two years minimum to avoid relapse. I visited a hormone doctor who prescribed many vitamins, a gluten free diet and injections of vitamin B12 (check if you have a deficiency in this vitamin and if you are celiac, both can lead to mental unbalances even psychosis).

I visited my general practitioner and we decided to start tapering off. We decided to go onto pills to facilitate the tapering. He only gave me half the injection, and two weeks later I was meant to start with 2 mg of risperdal pills. As the consta injection stays in your system for seven weeks or so, I had a strong reaction to taking the pills. It was like an overdose, I woke up completely stiff, but alive. So, we decided against taking pills with risperdal still in my system and let the medication taper off over a seven week time period. I then took the minimum dosage of risperdal, o.5mg for two weeks, then 0.25 mg for two weeks and then completely stopped. The side effects of my dramatic withdrawal were depression, but my healthy dose of vitamins, especially Niacin and vitamin B12, exercise and a therapist twice a week kept me going. I strongly believe in this 'prescription to nutritional healing' guide, as my hormone doctor prescribed almost exactly to what this guide prescribes for schizophrenia. I was enrolled in an art class at the time, which really helped the depression withdrawal. I really hope this helps

#40 Miko789

Miko789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

Hi there, I switched from risperdal injections to oral solution and I am having a lot of side effects. What I want to know is, in case the symptoms get too severe (and I really hope they will get better!) what should one do, if there is no 'higher dose' to go back to? If I switched from injection to same dose oral? I really want to feel empowered that I know what to do in case smt bad happens. Again I hope it doesnt, but i want to have a soft pillow below just in case. Muchas Gracias! :rolleyes:

Vasedude which consta injection you did the 37,5mg or the 25mg and what dosage oral you switched at?

What kind of sideffects did you have?

thanks

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013 Started zyprexa 15mg, Risperdal consta 3,33mg/day for nearly 19months
2015 from March 2015 Taper off risperdal to 1,66mg/day (long acting injection) for 4 months
02/15-started seroxat 10mg/day

03/16  Seroxat 3mg/day, Zyprexa 10mg, Risperdal consta 1,66mg

06/16 Seroxat 3mg/day, Zyprexa 5mg, Risperdal consta 2,5mg

09/16 Seroxat 2,7mg,Zypr. 5mg, Consta 2,5mg

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,Zyprexa 5mg,Risperdal Consta 25mg/every 15days

Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 20th Jan 2017

taking omega 3 fish oil, ashwagandha.and melatonin 1mg