Sleep apnea and CPAP

summer

To answer your first question, "Anyone Have Low Oxygen, Especially When Sleeping?" Yes I did but now I sleep with an Auto CPAP for OSA.

To answer your second question, "Do you think protracted ssri withdrawal could have caused this?" No, I don't think so.

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

Hi Christiana,

I do not know if I actually have low oxygen levels - but I often find it difficult to breath when I lie down, and have to sit up to catch my breath. And I sometimes wake up with the feeling of not being able to get enough air, and with heart palpitations. Very scary - and makes me afraid to lie down and go to sleep.

I would be interested to know about the overnight oxymetry test - is it something that you can do yourself at home? Can you buy a test at a pharmacy?

Thanks!

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

3 of my 4 sisters and I have sleep apnea. Whatever your problem, you will probably feel much better with it fixed. I saw a study once that said 50% of patients presenting to a psychiatrist with depression need a sleep doctor with intervention, and 50% of patients presenting to a sleep doctor need also to see a psychiatrist. Very debatable, but I don't think there's any doubt that chronic sleep disruption contributes greatly to psychiatric conditions. SSRIs I haven't heard of. Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

SSRIs are known to disrupt sleep architecture, especially decreasing restorative REM. It's a crime that they are used to treat people who are having sleep issues of any kind.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Christiana,

I was on psych meds for 15 years. About 1.5 years after I finished my taper, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I think I have had it all my life and feel that being on psych meds made my case more severe.   And yes, the depression and anxiety I experienced was definitely due to undiagnosed apnea, not ifs ands buts about it.

Keep us posted and feel free to PM me if you want.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Thank you for the article, LisasLove.  

It was quite interesting to read.

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

Hi Annelle,

I have the same symptoms you do and then some.

I think your doctor has to order it.  It's specifically called an overnight "pulse oximetry" test, which can be done at home.  Apria did mine (www.apria.com).  One day they delivered the device to me to use overnight while I slept.  The next day they came back and picked it up from me.  After that, they sent it somewhere where what was recorded was analyzed, then the results were sent to my doctor.  

I hope that helps.  If you have anymore questions, just let me know.

Hi Christiana,

I do not know if I actually have low oxygen levels - but I often find it difficult to breath when I lie down, and have to sit up to catch my breath. And I sometimes wake up with the feeling of not being able to get enough air, and with heart palpitations. Very scary - and makes me afraid to lie down and go to sleep.

I would be interested to know about the overnight oxymetry test - is it something that you can do yourself at home? Can you buy a test at a pharmacy?

Thanks!

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

Meimeiquest,

So sorry to hear about your sisters. (hugs) 

Thanks much for the info.

3 of my 4 sisters and I have sleep apnea. Whatever your problem, you will probably feel much better with it fixed. I saw a study once that said 50% of patients presenting to a psychiatrist with depression need a sleep doctor with intervention, and 50% of patients presenting to a sleep doctor need also to see a psychiatrist. Very debatable, but I don't think there's any doubt that chronic sleep disruption contributes greatly to psychiatric conditions. SSRIs I haven't heard of. Good luck!

Hi Barbara,

I couldn't agree more!

Since SSRI withdrawal messes with our autonomic functions (breathing being one), it does make me wonder if I have developed sleep apnea as a result.

I'm supposed to go for my sleep apnea test on the 11th.  It will be interesting to see what they find, as my entire sleep architecture has been completely messed up and all over the place, since I began withdrawal.

SSRIs are known to disrupt sleep architecture, especially decreasing restorative REM. It's a crime that they are used to treat people who are having sleep issues of any kind.

Hi CS,

So sorry to hear you have it.

Thanks much for sharing your experience.

With my overnight pulse oximetry test being abnormal, combined with the fact I have multiple sleep issues, which have gotten bad since my withdrawal started, I'm betting my overnight sleep apnea test I'm having done soon will be abnormal too and I'll end up on a cpap machine.

I never knew, until now, psychiatric medications and disorders are related to sleep apnea.  I just hope and pray, if I do end up on a cpap machine, it will help to resolve some of my withdrawal issues.

Hi Christiana,

I was on psych meds for 15 years. About 1.5 years after I finished my taper, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

I think I have had it all my life and feel that being on psych meds made my case more severe.   And yes, the depression and anxiety I experienced was definitely due to undiagnosed apnea, not ifs ands buts about it.

Keep us posted and feel free to PM me if you want.

CS

Hi Christiana,

I can't say for sure that being on psych meds made my apnea worse. But it sure seems being on the meds didn't help.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world if you end up on the cpap machine. 

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Christiana,

Anything that you take that makes your muscles relax can cause worse Apneas or Hypoapneas (Xanax, Alcohol, Ambien ect.). Sleep Apnea disturbs your sleep cycle by pulling you out of your different stages of sleep. As we become more relaxed and cycle into our stage 4 sleep (REM) most of our muscles become paralyzed; thus there may be more Apneas or Hypoapneas in this level of sleep. For example, when I was sleeping on my back I wouldn’t enter into REM. Two things were happening, gravity was causing a worse obstruction by narrowing my airway causing more Apneas or Hypoapneas and the Apneas or Hypoapneas would pull me out of my deeper sleep. Our brain actually wakes us up out of our deep sleep pulling us out of state 4 and into stage 2 or 3 sleep so we can use our muscles to open our airway. We don’t realize this is happening because we are actually still asleep just in a lighter sleep stage. That’s why it is so hard to realize we have a sleep breathing problem. Usually someone becomes aware of this by a sleeping partner that is witnessing the pauses in our breathing. I would only wake up gasping for air about 4 times a year but my sleep study showed that I was having 31 episodes an hour.

BTW…How was your sleep study?

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

Thank you very much, CS! :)

Hi Christiana,

I can't say for sure that being on psych meds made my apnea worse. But it sure seems being on the meds didn't help.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world if you end up on the cpap machine. 

CS

LL,

Thank you very much for the info! I assume you are sleeping with a CPAP machine now all the time? If so, has it made you feel better? If so, in what way(s)?

I misunderstood.  My appointment on the 11th was just to consult with a sleep dr.  I didn't make it though, so I'm going to have to reschedule this week.

A close friend of mine passed away Fri. the 7th.  Her wake was the 10th and funeral the 11th.  I pushed myself to go, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Now I'm paying the price.  Stress really hits my hypersensitive nervous system so hard.  I think I'm finally coming up for air, little by little.  I hope I'm, at least, back to my baseline of the withdrawal symptoms I have to deal with daily soon.

Christiana,

Anything that you take that makes your muscles relax can cause worse Apneas or Hypoapneas (Xanax, Alcohol, Ambien ect.). Sleep Apnea disturbs your sleep cycle by pulling you out of your different stages of sleep. As we become more relaxed and cycle into our stage 4 sleep (REM) most of our muscles become paralyzed; thus there may be more Apneas or Hypoapneas in this level of sleep. For example, when I was sleeping on my back I wouldn’t enter into REM. Two things were happening, gravity was causing a worse obstruction by narrowing my airway causing more Apneas or Hypoapneas and the Apneas or Hypoapneas would pull me out of my deeper sleep. Our brain actually wakes us up out of our deep sleep pulling us out of state 4 and into stage 2 or 3 sleep so we can use our muscles to open our airway. We don’t realize this is happening because we are actually still asleep just in a lighter sleep stage. That’s why it is so hard to realize we have a sleep breathing problem. Usually someone becomes aware of this by a sleeping partner that is witnessing the pauses in our breathing. I would only wake up gasping for air about 4 times a year but my sleep study showed that I was having 31 episodes an hour.

Chritiana, I have followed your story from where you first posted on the other site, Im so sorry for all you have been through, but may I ask you, have you seen NO improveemnt over the past 3 years? Im very scared of whats happening, its so awful.

thanks Hun, and wishing you speedy healing

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

LL,

Thank you very much for the info! I assume you are sleeping with a CPAP machine now all the time? If so, has it made you feel better? If so, in what way(s)?

I misunderstood.  My appointment on the 11th was just to consult with a sleep dr.  I didn't make it though, so I'm going to have to reschedule this week.

A close friend of mine passed away Fri. the 7th.  Her wake was the 10th and funeral the 11th.  I pushed myself to go, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  Now I'm paying the price.  Stress really hits my hypersensitive nervous system so hard.  I think I'm finally coming up for air, little by little.  I hope I'm, at least, back to my baseline of the withdrawal symptoms I have to deal with daily soon.

Christiana,

Yes, I sleep with a CPAP machine. I believe that if I had been on the CPAP machine before I had ever been prescribed Xanax and Zoloft all of my original symptoms (anxiety and insomnia) would have been cured by now. The withdrawal from Xanax is what led me to Zoloft. The withdrawal from Xanax and Zoloft is far worse than anything I was experiencing prior. I am still not stable but my sleep is better than it was. In my case I am looking at three separate problems Sleep Apnea, Xanax withdrawal and Zoloft withdrawal. All of them need to be treated.

From what I have read, within six month on CPAP therapy someone with Sleep Apnea will see improvements in Oxygen levels in the blood, blood viscosity and insomnia. Low levels of Oxygen and high levels of Carbon Dioxide in the blood will cause anxiety amongst other problems to vital organs. My Respiratory Therapist (she has Sleep Apnea too) explained that the insomnia is caused by a self defense mechanism in the brain to keep us alive since every time we go to sleep we are suffocating ourselves. I also read somewhere that only about 50% of Sleep Apnea patients get insomnia. I also read that low levels of Oxygen in the blood caused by Sleep Apnea temporally damage the part of the brain that controls our sleep function. I don’t know who is correct but either way top those off with poor sleep quality (depression like symptoms) for years and years and in my opinion you’re a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode. Then once you explode you go see a doctor (in my cases a GP) and the undiagnosed Sleep Apnea Symptoms are treated with drugs instead of treating the cause which is Sleep Apnea. I prefer to read manuscripts but here is some light reading that you may find interesting about Sleep Apnea.

http://fallingasleep.net/sleep-disorders/apnea

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation, LL.  I really needed that to understand it more.

I'm so sorry for all you have been and are going through.  (big hugs)

LL,

Christiana,

Yes, I sleep with a CPAP machine. I believe that if I had been on the CPAP machine before I had ever been prescribed Xanax and Zoloft all of my original symptoms (anxiety and insomnia) would have been cured by now. The withdrawal from Xanax is what led me to Zoloft. The withdrawal from Xanax and Zoloft is far worse than anything I was experiencing prior. I am still not stable but my sleep is better than it was. In my case I am looking at three separate problems Sleep Apnea, Xanax withdrawal and Zoloft withdrawal. All of them need to be treated.

From what I have read, within six month on CPAP therapy someone with Sleep Apnea will see improvements in Oxygen levels in the blood, blood viscosity and insomnia. Low levels of Oxygen and high levels of Carbon Dioxide in the blood will cause anxiety amongst other problems to vital organs. My Respiratory Therapist (she has Sleep Apnea too) explained that the insomnia is caused by a self defense mechanism in the brain to keep us alive since every time we go to sleep we are suffocating ourselves. I also read somewhere that only about 50% of Sleep Apnea patients get insomnia. I also read that low levels of Oxygen in the blood caused by Sleep Apnea temporally damage the part of the brain that controls our sleep function. I don’t know who is correct but either way top those off with poor sleep quality (depression like symptoms) for years and years and in my opinion you’re a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode. Then once you explode you go see a doctor (in my cases a GP) and the undiagnosed Sleep Apnea Symptoms are treated with drugs instead of treating the cause which is Sleep Apnea. I prefer to read manuscripts but here is some light reading that you may find interesting about Sleep Apnea.

http://fallingasleep.net/sleep-disorders/apnea

Thank you for the good wishes, Iggy.

I'm so sorry you're scared and it's so awful for you. (big hugs)

In July, I'll be entering my 5th year of prolonged/protracted SSRI withdrawal.  Many symptoms come and go for me.  I never know what the day is going to bring.  Some leave, to only come back later, sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker.  Some have left for good, I think.  I'm out of my really gruesome acute state and now into a chronic state of just feeling very ill all of the time.  When I have my period, things really ramp up.  I don't handle any stress very well at all either.  I still cannot hardly go anywhere or do much.  I spend most of my time alone, just trying to let time take its course.  I still don't sleep well, can't concentrate very good, have a really hard time with motivation, as well as have anxiety, sweating, racing thoughts, crying spells, etc.  I also remain very sensitive to certain foods and any supplements, as well as medications.  Some days are certainly much harder than others.

I keep hanging on though, knowing others have gone before me and gotten better.  Not that I would wish it on anyone, just knowing there are others here who are going through some of the very same struggles helps too.

I know it's scary and I'm eating my own words here, so to speak, but time will heal you, you just have to get by the best you can, until then.

Many thanks to Alto for creating this website! It's certainly been a Godsend for me, indeed!

I read your signature. Can you be more detailed about what your symptoms are like and how they affect you on a daily basis? How are you feeling overall?

Chritiana, I have followed your story from where you first posted on the other site, Im so sorry for all you have been through, but may I ask you, have you seen NO improveemnt over the past 3 years? Im very scared of whats happening, its so awful.

thanks Hun, and wishing you speedy healing

Thank you Christiana...let me know how your sleep study goes it's very important that you take care of your Sleep Apnea.

Sleep Apnea is related to so many different conditions...

Last year I was meeting with my Opthamologist (he has sleep apnea too) who I have been seeing for about six years now and he explained to me that my borderline high eye pressure could be related to my Sleep Apnea. He explained that untreated Sleep Apnea increases the stress hormone "Cortisol" which in turn could be increasing my eye pressure. I researched high Cortisol levels and found out amongst others it lowers your immune system, increases sleep problems and has a negative effect on insulin. I have been having problems with my Triglycerides for at least fifteen years and I am now what they call pre-borderline diabetic. Even when I was able to get my weight under control (lost 30 lbs) and I was only 170 lbs my Triglycerides were still above normal and in the 200's.

Here's some more reading if you like.

http://www.americandiabetes.com/living-diabetes/diabetes-health-articles/diabetes-and-sleep-apnea

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201301/cortisol-why-the-stress-hormone-is-public-enemy-no-1

http://naturalmedicinejournal.net/pdf/NMJ_JUNE10_TC.pdf

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

Christiana, do you think your benzo may be contributing? I ask that because LL said that Anything that you take that makes your muscles relax can cause worse Apneas or Hypoapneas (Xanax, Alcohol, Ambien ect.)

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

Thanks so much, LL! So sorry to hear you're struggling so much with it.  I had no idea, until now, just how bad sleep apnea can be.  I'm just waiting for the lab to call me and tell me which night I'll be staying the night at the hospital for my sleep study.  After that, I was told the sleep doctor would read my results, then I'd see him to find out what they are.  Not that I want it, but I sure hope it's the answer to some of the problems/symptoms I'm having.  At least I will know something for sure.

Thank you Christiana...let me know how your sleep study goes it's very important that you take care of your Sleep Apnea.

Sleep Apnea is related to so many different conditions...

Last year I was meeting with my Opthamologist (he has sleep apnea too) who I have been seeing for about six years now and he explained to me that my borderline high eye pressure could be related to my Sleep Apnea. He explained that untreated Sleep Apnea increases the stress hormone "Cortisol" which in turn could be increasing my eye pressure. I researched high Cortisol levels and found out amongst others it lowers your immune system, increases sleep problems and has a negative effect on insulin. I have been having problems with my Triglycerides for at least fifteen years and I am now what they call pre-borderline diabetic. Even when I was able to get my weight under control (lost 30 lbs) and I was only 170 lbs my Triglycerides were still above normal and in the 200's.

Here's some more reading if you like.

http://www.americandiabetes.com/living-diabetes/diabetes-health-articles/diabetes-and-sleep-apnea

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201301/cortisol-why-the-stress-hormone-is-public-enemy-no-1

http://naturalmedicinejournal.net/pdf/NMJ_JUNE10_TC.pdf

I think it's possible, but I don't know what the doctor is going to do, since I take it for my seizures. Hmmm.

Christiana, do you think your benzo may be contributing? I ask that because LL said that Anything that you take that makes your muscles relax can cause worse Apneas or Hypoapneas (Xanax, Alcohol, Ambien ect.)

• Altostrata changed the title to Sleep Issues on CPAP machine
  • 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

From member Macadamia:

2 hours ago, Macadamia said:

the wake-ups and rapid heartbeats during sleep I was complaining about turned out be genuine sleep apnea. I got a CPAP and things are much better with sleep. I actually wake up feeling well rested. Imagine that! 🙂

I got a Phillips Respironics Dreamwear mask and a Resmed auto CPAP with humidifier. The equipment is so much more comfortable and user friendly nowadays than it used to be. The mask is very minimal and comfortable, and the machine adjusts the amount of air and humidity needed on the fly. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Altostrata changed the title to Sleep apnea and CPAP
  • 1 year later...

There seems to be a definite relationship with sleep disruption and depression and anxiety. I am hoping to hear if anyone has found great benefit using CPAP or other equipment for sleep apnea. I was waking in the night up with rapid pounding heart sometimes or gasping for air. I got a home “sleep study” prescribed which determined I likely had sleep apnea. 

This Wednesday night I hade a sleep titration study at the sleep lab. They hooked me up to 16 or so different wires and a CPAP machine. The positive pressure was adjusted throughout the night to see how I responded. Unfortunately, I only slept 2 1/2 hours total the wires were hard to get used to and when I broke a connection tossing about the guy would have to come in and re-connect it (I forgot to mention they watch you also while you sleep) but it was apparently enough data and I will probably get my prescription late next week. I am optimistic I will get some benefit once I get used to it. Anyone have any experience good or bad to share. Thanks

On and off antidepressants since 1989. (Prozac, Celexa, Lexepro, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Cymbalta

2017 40mg Fluoxetine (2017-19 started taper but don’t recall specifics but prob. 10mg per drop with several months hold)

2019 —->10mg every other day (ave 5mg/day)

October 2021 increased dose to (7.5mg/day ave.)

January 18, 2022—> 7m Feb 5, 2022 —> 6.8mg, March 21 —> 6.46mg July 23, 2022—> 6.14mg (fluoxetine) ~August 1 2022 started 2.5mg melatonin per night October 2022 —> 6mg (fluoxetine)

Current meds/otc

Fluoxetine 6.0 mg/day, Atorvastatin  40mg/day, Vit C 500mg, Melatonin 2.5mg/night

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy