SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tinnitus: What does all that noise mean?

Maybe

I also get tinnitus off and on. The last time I would notice it in the AM and at night the most, and it was only in my left ear. I tried my best just to ignore it and eventually it went away. I imagine if it's constant it can really drive you crazy. Once I looked up "ringing in ears" and found a site that said for chronic tinnitus sufferers who found no relief any other way, the best recommendation was to change your mindset about the ringing. Accept it and stop rejecting it. One of those zen approaches, which I think is totally the right approach, but also incredibly difficult!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

I also get tinnitus off and on. The last time I would notice it in the AM and at night the most, and it was only in my left ear. I tried my best just to ignore it and eventually it went away. I imagine if it's constant it can really drive you crazy. Once I looked up "ringing in ears" and found a site that said for chronic tinnitus sufferers who found no relief any other way, the best recommendation was to change your mindset about the ringing. Accept it and stop rejecting it. One of those zen approaches, which I think is totally the right approach, but also incredibly difficult!

That's exactly how mine acts. It's there when I get up in the morning and returns in late evening, and it's always just on the left side. I try to ignore it, but some days it's loud enough to pretty well ruin the morning. I'll see if I can work my way into a state of welcoming it and trick it into leaving. :rolleyes:

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's exactly how mine acts. It's there when I get up in the morning and returns in late evening, and it's always just on the left side. I try to ignore it, but some days it's loud enough to pretty well ruin the morning. I'll see if I can work my way into a state of welcoming it and trick it into leaving. :rolleyes:

Sigh.. Yup, in the left ear mostly, and at dawn and in the evening. Are either of you on medication that effect the character and onset of the noise? I dose at 9AM and 9PM.. the symptoms get worse 60 minutes after I take the triggering med and go with the onset of action and half life. Then they get louder again 9 hours later, which makes for bumps in the late evening and again at dawn. There is a sensation of an electrical switch being thrown in my brain, and the changes are instantaneous.

Schuyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I'm not on any meds... I was thinking the AM/PM thing had to do with less noise in my environment, or settling down to go to bed and waking up. Also, I wear earplugs to sleep, and having them in makes me hear it much louder, of course.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I also have Tinnitus off and on. Right now it is on...a lovely :( high screech in both ears. I can not pinpoint what brings it on.

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nadia and Daisy,

AM/PM LOL, for sure, ear plugs would. But the AM/PM thing seems more complicated.. they are quieter times of day, but given a sneeze or other stimuli can trigger a worsening of symptoms, perhaps just being very aware of symptoms can increase them?

Bringing tinnitus on.. I wonder if there are food additives that could contribute? I have RLS, and Splenda makes them worse. I did a Google for anything that was not fresh produce .etc, and eliminated everything implicated in RLS to good effect. I wonder if same could be true for tinnitus.. and further, if identifying the causes could be more difficult as mercifully fewer people are so plagued.

My sounds change.. they go from a screech to a raspy sound in seconds. Is this the norm? :(

Schuyler

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello.. my tinnitus episode is once again on the wane so I thought I'd run a few observations by you to see what you think.

At 4 or 5AM, the sound chanbed from hearing chains jingling to a high pitched wail. This happened almost every night, so I'd wake up with a shrieking sound. I kept classical music or BBC World on all night for distraction, but sometimes had to turn the volume up so I could hear over the din. Did anyone else have these noise changes in the middle of the night?

Second, I found dealing with tinnitus when one ear was effected to be relatively easy. When the sounds involved both ears the penetrating quality seemed to increase exponentially, or to use lousy math, the noise hassle increased by a factor of five. On occasion it seemed like I'd go round the bend.

The sound level is down to 1.5 this morning, which is a huge improvement.. and I'm most grateful. When I start to taper again in a week or two, it will be veryyy slow, and hold at the first indication of any sound effects coming from inside my head. As it stands now, I'm exceedingly grateful it is stopping because it's much easier to monitor an upsurge than to assess the level of an ongoing symptoms ~S

• 2 years later...

I have been tapering several medications for a year now...started tapering klonopin last summer and developed vertigo and tinnitus, quit klonopin in April, tapered off of risperidone in May, tapered off of gabapentin early June and recently cut my Cymbalta from 60 to 30 mg three days ago.  I now have a horrible headache, brain zaps and still have tinnitus and ear pain.  Need help!  Thanks!

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Administrator

Please use search in this forum for the many discussions about coping with those symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...

tinnitus leads me in 2 different directions.

1) the TMJ / Jaw, compression through bruxism grinding of teeth at night seems to be able to kick of Tinnitus. 

2) withdrawal leading to low dopamine ( in my case) kicks of tinnitus ( both ears, constant, 8mhz). ( 2 years since withdrawal so looks to be permanent)

Google "tinnitus dopaminergic pathway"

I had bruxism immediately after starting SNRi's

then tinnitus which started 1 week into the taper.

Pretty sure thats dopamine.

Not sure if to try messing with dopamine levels

• Moderator Emeritus

tinnitus leads me in 2 different directions.

1) the TMJ / Jaw, compression through bruxism grinding of teeth at night seems to be able to kick of Tinnitus. 

2) withdrawal leading to low dopamine ( in my case) kicks of tinnitus ( both ears, constant, 8mhz). ( 2 years since withdrawal so looks to be permanent)

Google "tinnitus dopaminergic pathway"

I had bruxism immediately after starting SNRi's

then tinnitus which started 1 week into the taper.

Pretty sure thats dopamine.

Not sure if to try messing with dopamine levels

Hi Jjnz,

this was posted by Moodyblues for some other member suffering from tinnitus and I believe it will help you:

Ah Tinnitus. My companion for life. Your story sounds familiar. Mine started exactly the same way, while sleeping. Fortunately it sounds like your situation is milder than mine. I know very well how crushing it is to wake up in the middle of night to your ears suddenly screaming for no reason. In addition to tinnitus I have a nasty hyperacusia. It`s even worse symptom than tinnitus.

What ever the reason for your tinnitus is, it probably has been there for a while. It just was brought to surface by your wd. The good news is that many have gotten rid of it once all the wd symptoms slowly fade away. It may take years. Another good thing is that if it does not go away, you can learn to live with it, no matter how bad the sounds is. Bad thing is that it is not easy. Tinnitus really is not a sound. It is just your brain misinterpreting the signals it gets from your hearing nerves. Since we are very sensitized thanks to wd these signals are magnified and makes tinnitus bad. The more you fear it the worse it gets but the tinnitus itself does not make it worse. 

There are a few things you can do. Most important thing is to get you to sleep again if it causes you anxiety while trying to sleep. It is common that tinnitus may be very bad in the middle of night. This was the case for me in acute withdrawal. It was like fire alarm was stuck on inside my head. There is a great app called White Noise by TMsoft. It has got loads of back round noises to distract you from it. I play it every night and I sleep well. Usually I use it day time too. Do not use it to mask the tinnitus completely. Just use it to take the fear away. That way you can teach your brain to take the tinnitus as a friendly noise and in time you will lose interest in it and you will not notice it unless you look for it. 

I was a very bad case thanks to burnout, ssri/benzo combo and a couple of unsuccessful wd`s. These days I can live with and I`m confident that someday it will not bother me anymore.

You probably have read many horror stories from the net about tinnitus. Forget them. This will not kill you and with the right attitude anyone can learn to live with it with no problem  :)

Br,

Moody

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi all

I woke up at 5am a few days ago with a very distinct sound like a vibration of some sort in my right ear. I would explain it like a car engine running behind a wall type of sound, or a cell phone vibration. Very low and only perceivable during complete silence. It's sometimes continuous, some other times erratic. 

The worst bit is that it happened while sleeping and it just doesn't go away. I sometimes forget it's there, but it comes back just to let me know I can't fool myself. 

I often sit in different locations and positions just to see if I can hear it. Other times I lose focus on whatever I'm doing and concentrate on the sound. 

Needless to say, 1 year after withdrawal, I had built a fairly good sense of well being and was on my way to consider myself closer to being cured of Paroxetine withdrawal and all that was lost in a couple of days.

Now, I know I must separate Tinnitus from my Anxiety. Although they are related, one is a physical reaction, the other is a psychological reaction. Being hypocondriac (due to the depression I had 7 years ago), it doesn't help me to think about any serious condition that could cause the tinnitus. It's like a snowball effect. Especially if you search Dr.Google... an error I often commit. 

At this point I have very low appetite, my sleep is very, very light and wake up to any sound, possibly due to the fact that I'm hearing the hum and it prevents me to go deeper into sleep. I also have some hearing loss, or maybe it's just me focusing too much, I dunno. I went to the otorhino and he said I had no inflammation and the ear looked great, better than average. 

At this point, I am trying to learn how to live with this. Understanding that many people have this chronically doesn't help, but maybe I can make it go away. Who knows?

2007 - Began Paroxetine 20mg treatment after severe panic attacks.

Early 2011 - Tried tapering with nasty results. Return to normal dosage. 

Mid 2012 - Another failed tapering attempt. Return to normal dosage. 

Mid 2013 - Began alternate medicine treatment. Feeling great.

August - November 2013 - Began tappering with some success. Took a bit longer than desired but last pill taken 29th November 2013.

Christmas 2013 - Worst days of my life. All symptoms possible return with full intensity. Hard to cope.

January - November 2014 - Alternate 5HTP and Omega 3 treatment gradually improve my day-to-day life.

December 2014 - Feeling great before holidays, I woke up during one night with right ear Tinnitus. Hard time sleeping and poor motivation as a result.

December 26th 2014 - Worse panic attack in a long time. All my year of hard work in self motivation gone. Feeling like crap, worse feelings ever. 

Sort of extrapolating from the book The Mind and the Brain, and seeing (from my dear friend Dr. Google) that vagal stimulation can help some, I think it is something that can happen in a brain that senses interior danger (Alto's theory of the cause of protracted withdrawal). I think that is why you see (hear) it coming and going with meds. It must be miserable...hope it eases soon!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

In my limited experience, taking my mind of it makes it a lot less present. Still there, but not as dramatic. 

Ease is all I seek, for now. I have to be positive and not just believe in fairy tales, I know, but I feel I will cure this thing. I've been through so much, this is just another barrier to cross. 

2007 - Began Paroxetine 20mg treatment after severe panic attacks.

Early 2011 - Tried tapering with nasty results. Return to normal dosage. 

Mid 2012 - Another failed tapering attempt. Return to normal dosage. 

Mid 2013 - Began alternate medicine treatment. Feeling great.

August - November 2013 - Began tappering with some success. Took a bit longer than desired but last pill taken 29th November 2013.

Christmas 2013 - Worst days of my life. All symptoms possible return with full intensity. Hard to cope.

January - November 2014 - Alternate 5HTP and Omega 3 treatment gradually improve my day-to-day life.

December 2014 - Feeling great before holidays, I woke up during one night with right ear Tinnitus. Hard time sleeping and poor motivation as a result.

December 26th 2014 - Worse panic attack in a long time. All my year of hard work in self motivation gone. Feeling like crap, worse feelings ever. 

• 2 months later...

I am off Lexapro now for 14 months.

I have had horrible ear ringing for four months now...more like ear ROARING, worse at bedtime and immediately upon waking. 

It is SLOWLY getting better.

But in trying to figure out what is causing this infernal ear ringing, I have noticed one thing.

When I spend the occasional half hour smoking a cigar, the ear ringing completely disappears the entire time while having the nicotine (fast acting).

And within minutes of stopping the nicotine, the ear ringing comes right back.

Nicotine acts strongly on GABA receptors. GABA is a key player in SSRI withdrawal symptoms. Lamictal, a gabaergic player, has been mentioned as being helpful at extremely low doses to reduce SSRI withdrawal symptoms due to its gabaergic activity.

Or, the vasocontrictive action of nicotine reduces inflammation at the site of nerve damage repair process.

Whatever the mechanism, the ear ringing ALWAYS goes away when I ingest nicotine.

I would NEVER recommend using smoking to treat withdrawal!

Smoking is extremely destructive, toxic, and addictive. Of course we all know that, but it has to be said.

And smoking will not cure these symptoms! It will ONLY cause harm by its use, and probably hamper recovery from SSRI withdrawal. 

Nicotine will aggravate other withdrawal symptoms - we know to avoid nicotine during withdrawal. In fact, although my ear ringing goes away while having the cigar, I also get tachycardia, chest tightness, restlessness, anxiety, and other uncomfortable symptoms from the nicotine. Nicotine is bad!

In fact, the longer I stay away from nicotine, the better I feel overall. I feel much more relaxed and less anxious the longer I stay away from it. 

This information is provided solely to help understand the nature of SSRI withdrawal tinnitus. 

Does anyone have any other information to provide that can shed light on possible causes of SSRI withdrawal tinnitus?

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• 1 month later...

Currently in a zoloft withdrawal and have tinnitus in the region of my left ear (7 weeks). 

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8910-chris111-zoloft-ringing-ears/

I just hate the sound that is being produced...

I read that excessive ear wax can cause this sound, therefore I stopped using cotton swabs for my ears (I have been using cotton swabs for a long time).

I remember having tinnitus on both ears (Before I took the ZOLOFT) but the sound was happening towards the edge of my ears. Now, its just my left ear, although the sound being produced right now seems to be going on "inside" my ear. I guess the medication brought it to "surface".

I am planning on buying those over the counter ear wax removal kits.

Has anybody had any success with removing ear wax from their ears resulting with the tinnitus disappearing? 

• Administrator

Your PCP or an otolaryngologist can remove ear wax. If you have a very bad case, it's probably safer to have someone else do it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Tinnitus can be caused by grinding of the teeth which I have been doing a lot of since WD started.... Seen the dentist if and get a night guard fitted if all else fails :)

1999: amitriptyline
2002: fluoxetine
2003: venlafaxine
2007: Paxil 20mg
2012: Paxil 30mg
2014 june: Paxil stopped working and was put on citalopram 20mg
2014 august: docs put me on Paxil 20mg still feeling bad and had to stop antihistamines for hives
2015 January: doctors put me on sertriline 50mg
2015 February March: doctors wanted me to go back on Paxil 20mg
2015 April 1st: I wanted off and dropped to 10mg
9/5/15  Feeling worse for ware!  struggling but i WILL get through this

• Moderator Emeritus

I went to the doctor for ear wax removal during withdrawal because of increased tinnitus.  I've had ringing in my right ear through much of withdrawal, it gets worse at times, better at other times. But one evening it was suddenly much worse and I had lost some of my hearing. Long story short, I had an ear wax blockage and it was removed, I could hear properly again and my tinnitus went back to its normal annoying levels.

Your doctor will be able to see if you have a wax buildup and remove it safely. I tried doing it myself using methods I found on youtube, but it didn't work.

If you want to read more about my ear wax removal experience you can, I documented it in my intro thread, starting from about here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4278-petunia-recovering-from-13-years-of-antidepressant-use/?p=100831

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

I have a friend who says his Buzz buzz is not in his ears but in his brain. Is that same thing? He's had it since using zoloft and had it last 18mths. Getting to a point he wanted out of this world as he couldn't deal with the constant buzz. All day every day, driving him nuts. 

He was drug free for 10mths and decided to try drugs again in hope of stopping the noise, been on lexapro for a few wks, drs increasing his dose to 20mg, couldn't sleep even a min, so was put on sequel (sp?) which made him more suicidal. Now been taken off lexapro over 3 days, one day of nothing and starting prestiq.  Buzzing never stopping, now has huge anxiety and panic attacks.  A big mess. 

Is there a way to stop the buzz??

Was put on zoloft when 19, Didn't need it, looking back now i was managing life. I got off it a few times, didn't use it for 2 of my 3 kids, anxiety made me use it again. Got off in july 14, I was on 50mg and went to 25mg for a few weeks, then went to 12.5mg but after a few days i had bad zapps and coordination and movement was bad, so i stopped and that all eased. I was mostly ok, but at 10mths anxiety just grew and wouldn't go. Nothing was working, even valium barely tamed it in the end. 

At 6mths off the dr told me to start Prestiq, but i didn't want to. At 10mths a friend suggested aropax, had 1 tablet and anxiety went nuts, it was really really bad and constant just 5hrs after tablet. So went back to dr and got zoloft again.  Hate being on it but all anxiety is gone. On 50mg now. Had some 100mg tablets and when i didn't break them fully down the middle i'd have head spins. Shakes get worse too. Seem to be sensitive to small changes.

My withdrawls included zaps, leg spasms, major anger, dizzy, emotional. Probably memory, could be from stress. Memory still sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who says his Buzz buzz is not in his ears but in his brain. Is that same thing? He's had it since using zoloft and had it last 18mths. Getting to a point he wanted out of this world as he couldn't deal with the constant buzz. All day every day, driving him nuts. 

Same for me, the ringing is from the brain and emanates outward to the ears.

I got hit with the "head ringing" ten months after stopping Lexapro, and have had it nonstop for 8 months now. It is accompanied by head and ear pressure too, and "wavy" feelings in the brain. 

It was worse in the right ear for 4 months, that subsided, now worse in the left ear for four months, but always the head is filled with the noise.

It gets worse when my other withdrawal symptoms worsen. During windows, the ear ringing is much more tolerable, but always there.

I suspect it is similar to akathisia/parathesia from SSRI WD, but inside the brain. 

It is much worse while laying in bed. As horrible and loud as it is when I lay down for bed, I have slept well almost every night during all this tinnitus. It does not really affect my sleep.  And if I am busy in the day, it usually is on the back burner. But reading and quiet time just ain't fun anymore. Best to watch TV, be active outside, or just be in noisy areas. Family gatherings are good, all that talking distracts from the tinnitus. 

I can hope that it will run its course and be more tolerable as overall recovery is achieved by year 3 or 4 of my Lexapro WD. So I have a ways to go.

For me, symptoms of the head ringing have healed and morphed similar to other WD symptoms, so as healing continues, the ringing should become more tolerable over time as windows and waves continues.

The ringing comes back strong during waves, just like any other SSRI WD symptom. 

I had two days last week, for the first time in 8 months, that my ears did not ring during the day.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Too bad that reinstating on these SSRIs did not stop his ringing.

When the ringing gets bad and lasts for long, SI is bound to happen. Been there a few times. It's a form of living hell, especially if you think it will not get better.

When I smoke a cigar, the nicotine always makes the ringing disappear while I am smoking it. But obviously tobacco is not an option to treat this WD tinnitus. Since nicotine acts on GABA receptors, perhaps a GABA actor such as lamictal - lamotrigine in very small amounts (less than 5 mg) would help with this. Just a guess, I have not tried that yet, and am not recommending it. 

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• 1 month later...

I have this. One day this past week, I didn't have it. To me it sounds like a billion crickets in my head. It's very annoying and I've wondered, as well, how many others have experienced it.

Oh! I didn't know that my nightly chorus of crickets was a form of tinnitus. I actually like the sound of crickets, reminds me of summer nights in better times. But sometimes it does get annoyingly loud.

I've been getting a high pitched ringing in one or another ear periodically in recent weeks but it usually does not last very long. I wrongly thought that tinnitus produced a ringing sound only (like my more recent experiences).

I have so many weird head sounds and sensations, coupled with the anxiety the symptoms produce, that it is hard to put my finger on exactly what I am experiencing until I read someone else's description. It' hard to figure things out when I'm terrified.

So thankyou Tezza and others for making this clearer.

Zoloft 8yrs CT (for anxiety) Crashed few months later, diagnosed major depression. Reinstating did not work.

Several poorly tolerated short term meds including Effexor, Mirtazapine. Eventually stabilised on Lexapro.

Sometime in the 90's bipolar diagnosis added and seroquel. CT'd from that quickly as I didn't think I fit the diagnosis.

Lexapro 5yrs? (9 month taper 2010) - Diagnosed ADD shortly after becoming psych med free.

Dexamphetamine- 2011-July 2014 (6 month taper)

Crashed late 2014: over sensitive to light, sound, people, usual foods, caffeine and life.

{July 2014- quit smoking, Dec 2014 quit caffeine, chocolate, sugar, processed foods, don't drink}

Supplements: Magnesium Citrate, Vit C, Pro-biotic.

Feb 2015-current: intolerance to minor stimulation, terror, anxiety, doom, delirium, anhedonia, insomnia, lethargy, weakness, bodily tingling, numbness, ticks and jolts, tinnitus, back pain, gastric disturbance, facial pain, ticks and tingling, EHS.........

Oct 2015- developed frozen shoulder-ongoing

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've been having mild tinnitus at nighttime, and I found this which appears to work for some people and not others.  Hasn't worked for me yet, but in case others might find it useful ... It involves tapping on the back of your head for a minute or so.  I'm going to look for a video clip as the written description might mean I'm not doing it quite right. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks, Karen -

I tried that, and it helped temporarily. Anything that helps even for a short duration is nice, and not only that, it helps us to try and figure out the nature of our own tinnitus.

I give myself deep muscle massages at the base of my skull, in the back of my head, the top of my neck, and this also sometimes reduces the ringing for a short time. 

It's nice to know that the tinnitus is not all-powerful, that something we can do will stop it, even for a short time. It gives us a little sense of control.

Hopefully our bodies will continue to heal and the tinnitus will eventually lessen and go away, as it has for those who have recovered. 

24 months SSRI-free  

• 1 month later...

I got tinnitus when I was transitioning between medicines and reducing them. It has been 2 1/2 years and at times it is better than it was.  Just wondering if anyone else has tinnitus that eventually went away.

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Unfortunately, my tinnitus and Menieres disappeared after starting Prozac. I've been tapering over 3 months and haven't experienced the tinnitus so I'm hoping it won't. Good luck.

9/11/2015 15 mg Fluoxetine/night 1 month into taper from 20 mg

11/28/2015 5 mg Fluoxetine/night, slicing tablet, measuring & placing into empty capsule to easily swallow.

Happy for you that it went away...are you completely off of Prozac?

• Moderator Emeritus

Mine seems to be with me during waves, but be almost un-noticeable in windows. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

3 years still have tinnitus

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Mine never did.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

After 5 years, I still have mine, but its less noticeable generally, it gets worse at times though.

Here is our tinnitus topic: Tinnitus -- What does all that noise mean? - Symptoms and ... *topics merged

~~~~~

When you have a question or comment about a specific symptom, please search to see if we already have a related topic, we usually do.  Then you can benefit from previously collected information and add to the discussion.  This keeps the site organized with all available knowledge in one thread, easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use Google. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I got also tinnitus after going off meds completely. At first it was very unpleasant, but with the time it almost went away. I get it only very seldom by falling asleep when everything is so silent, but it does not bother me so much anymore.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I've had it nonstop for the past few months since tapering off Paxil.

Username: quitpaxil2015 - Started antidepressants sometime in 1990. Misdiagnosed with Bipolar, but later with thyroid disease in1998 (8 years of being on several different psychiatric meds with several psychiatric hospitalizations). Total thyroidectomy in 1999. At the time, was on 85 mg of Paxil. In 2001, tried to get off Paxil and had car crash due to vertigo and w/d symptoms. Given more psychiatric meds including Prozac and Trazodone to treat SEVERE w/d from Paxil - which is the only reason I still take Paxil. Tried to taper off Paxil again in 2004  - from 25 mg to 20 mg (5 mg cuts) - had to go back on 25 mg on the 10th day of the taper due to inability to function (dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, crying spells, depersonalization, etc). Currently on Paxil 25 mg and Trazodone 100 mg. Trying to quit Paxil in 2015. April 22, 2015 - Paxil 22.5 mg. May 13, 2015 Paxil 20 mg. June 3, 2015 - Paxil 17.5 mg. June 24, 2015 - Paxil 15 mg. Don't remember  - 12.5 mg. August 5, 2015 - Paxil 10 mg. September 16, 2015 - 7.5 mg (considering going back up - severe anxiety/panic) September 28, 2015 - back up to 10 mg. October 6, 2015  - back up to 15 mg.   :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I got tinnitus for 16 months now. Both sides, different sounds. Sometimes it's so heavy that my ears feels like vibrating. It's so loud inside my head. The tinnitus comes if something is too stressful.

Almost 5 years now ...... varies in intensity, comes with the buzzing/crickets ........learning to live with it ........

• 4 months later...

I had read on another board that people have reported tinnitus and other ear symptoms 2-5 months after stopping Cymbalta. I don't know how accurate this is.

I developed tinnitus, along with intermittent ear pain and pressure 2 months after getting off Cymbalta, (but 2-3 weeks after starting Lexapro). I suspect the ear issues are due to either the getting off Cymbalta, or beginning Lexapro.

Does anyone know of delayed ear problems happening when you get off Cymbalta, or any antidepressant?

March 2015: doctor lowered me from 60mg to 40mg Cymbalta, resulting in severe withdrawals.

April 2015: raised to 50mg Cymbalta; by end of month back up to 60mg, but didn't stabilize.

June 2015: raised to 90mg Cymbalta resulting in overdose/intolerance of drug.

July 2015: started on Neurontin (1800mg) and Seroquel (75mg)

September 2015: came off Cymbalta after weaning down 1mg per day.

October 2015: began Lexapro 5mg, then 7.5mg. Increased Neurontin to 1900mg and Seroquel to 125mg.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy