Tinnitus: What does all that noise mean?

Maybe

• Administrator

@NovaSouls see above and post questions about your particular situation in your new Introductions topic.

Please use search in Symptoms before starting new topics about symptoms. Thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 5 months later...

So I came off my antidepressants, semi cold turkey two months ago.

I have been taking 20mg prozac for about four years. I started taking the same dose less and less, taking it once every week / week and a half until I stopped taking it. 

I did this for a long time - hence why I am describing this as "semi cold turkey"

I did go through some small bouts of suicidal thoughts etc, but I'm pretty stable. 

The only symptom I started noticing was jaw problems, numbness around my chin, tingling sensations all around my jaw and a lot of pressure, especially while I was talking to people.

These symptoms have gone down slightly, nothing too intense but still present, I can feel pressure around my jaw under my ears and occasionally the pressure goes up all around my jaw.

However, I have just started getting really sharp, constant tinnitus, which is making me freak out  - it hasn’t gone away in 5 days and it is very stressful and making me very panicky. 

Everything that I’m reading on here about tinnitus as a symptom related to withdrawals from SSRI’s doesn’t look good, and It doesn't seem temporary which is making me worries.

So if someone could offer me some insights or professional advice I would appreciate it.

is this permanent damage I’m going to have to endure now with no relief?

will this be a permanent symptom or can it get gradually better over time?

can tinnitus go away if I reinstate my antidepressants? I have tried to research this, but can only find articles talking about antidepressants / antidepressant withdrawal causing tinnitus, nothing about reinstating antidepressants to stop it as a symptom from withdrawal.

I honestly just want this to go away.

I am also looking into ENT doctors to help - any other suggestions of treatment or avenues to look at will be appreciated.

if anyone has anything they can share how I can calm myself down I would appreciate it. 

what should I do, because if I need to go back into my medication to relieve this symptom I will, if that is the best course of action 

thanks for listening 

2014-2018 3 years of 50mg Sertraline

Tapered by reducing the amount of days taking the medication - never the dosage for about 5 months. 

2-3 weeks from last dose started feeling anxious took 1x  50 mg (stupidly) and for the next week began experiencing withdrawals 

Reinstated at same dose for 2 weeks 5 days then with advice of doctor CT 

5 weeks of withdrawals - first window of 6 days 

2018-2023 Prozac 20mg. 
2022-2023 took 1 x 20 mg a week / 1.5 weeks - seemed to still be stable 

2023 October I came off CT

2024 18th March - reinstated at 20mg for 4 days 

22nd March - went down to 0.4 which I am now holding for 7 days so far 

supplements - lions mane, magnesium and omega - 3 

• Administrator

Please see this link for more information about Tinnitus

Tinnitus -- What does all that noise mean?

Moving your post to that topic

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

Dear all

For those of you who have used SSRI and especially Lexapro for many years, have you developped extreme noise sensitivity while on it ? If so, did tapering and quitting reduce it ?

I have been on Lexapro for 8 years and I started developping tinnitus after a couple of years, then misophonia and recently (last 2 years), I have developped more and more sensitivity to noise, sounds.

It is now unbearable and painful : I wear cancelling noise headphones to sleep, earplugs to eat and talk with my parents... Every noise is disturbing, even the softest of noises : putting a pen on a table, crumple paper...

It feels like it saturates my earing and I feel electricty, almost pain, in my ear, my head, my backbone.

I don't understand how it appeared : I have developped many weird symptoms throughough the years, and I only made the link with Lexapro in the last months/weeks. But I wonder if it couldn't have been AB uses as well...

Thanks !

AD : 2009 - 2012 Lexapro 10mg (CT?). 2015 - 2021 Lexapro 10mg. Spring 2021 - Summer 2021 Lexapro 0mg (CT)
Couple of days in summer 21 : Lexapro 5mg, Oxazepam, Cyamepromazine, Risperidone (blurry period, no details)
Summer 21 - 27 sept. 23 : Lexapro 10mg (sometimes 5mg, 20mg but mainly 10mg throughout this period)
28 sept. 23 to 4 oct. 23 : many changes in few days (no Lexapro for 2 days, Cyamepromazine for 2 days, Risperidone 1 day 0,5mg and 1 day 1mg, then Olanzapine for 1 day, each day with 3x25mg Oxazepam). Permanent dysautonomia symptoms appeared on the 1st day
5 oct. 23 - 7 nov. 23 : Lexapro 10mg
8 nov. 23 - 14 nov. 23 : Lexapro 5mg + Cymbalta 30mg
15 nov. 23 - 21 nov. 23 : Cymbalta 60mg

22 nov. 23 - 28. nov. 23 : Lexapro 5mg + Cymbalta 30mg

Since 29 nov. 23 : Lexapro 10mg

Benzo & others : Anxiety Summer 23 - 8 nov. 2023 : Oxazepam (varying from 0 to 75mg a day). 9 nov. - 7 dec. 2023 : Diazepam (5mg, tapering at 2,5mg from 28 nov.). Sleep : 8 nov. 23 - 29 nov. 23 : Alimemazine (2,5mg) (replaced Imovane (7,5mg)/Ambien (10mg), used since 7 oct. 2023)

Since dec. 2023 Magnesium bisglycinate 200mgOmega 3 1600mg (800mg EPA/600mg DHA), Probiotics

• 2 months later...

I’ve had tinnitus for almost 10 years now since my adverse reaction- I’m just wondering if anyone else has had this experience for this long? And if you did, did it ever go away? It’s pretty intense and I thought as I tapered it would get better but it hasn’t - 

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

An interesting observation I made today.

Like a lot of people here, my tinnitus tends to start before I get up in the morning. Not this morning though, I experienced nothing - until about 45 minutes after getting out of bed - then it came on full blast.

The reason? The clocks changed last night, so my body is an hour behind until it readjusts.

It does seem to add credence to the idea that the cause could be a reaction to the release of certain hormones at certain times of day.

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2024/04/15/1244501055/tinnitus-hearing-loss-ringing-ear-noise

I just read that article. I don't know if this could help anyone in our situation.

Any opinions?

Supplements: Vit D3, Fish oil, Magnesium bisglycenate 200mg (when needed), Melatonin 2.5mg, Camomile tea (1 - 2 times a day)
Started effexor in 2011.

Stopped effexor in 2012 (fast tamper).

Got back on effexor in 2012.

Tried stopping effexor again in 2014 (I'm not sure?), fast tamper again.

Started effexor again in 2014.

Switched to Escitalopram in 2016 I believe

Stopped Escitalopram 10mg cold turkey on January 3 2024.

Reinstated Escitalopram 5mg on april 2 2024.

Down to 1mg on april 3 2024, 1.25mg on april 11 2024

9 hours ago, Tweed9674 said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2024/04/15/1244501055/tinnitus-hearing-loss-ringing-ear-noise

I just read that article. I don't know if this could help anyone in our situation.

Any opinions?

I guess as it’s non-pharmacological, and non-intrusive, it may be worth a shot.

My only reservation is that we’re still not sure what causes withdrawal tinnitus, and if it’s the same as ‘normal’ tinnitus.

I’m a musician, and had mild tinnitus before I took SSRIs, and still do. The tinnitus I have from withdrawal is very different in sound and behaviour. So I’m not sure if the mechanisms that cause it are the same.

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy