SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tinnitus: What does all that noise mean?

Maybe

I did not want to open a new "ear" thread, so I post my question here:

As I assume there are quite some of us who have ear problems, especially tinnitus. Mine is strongest, when I wake up in the morning. Can anyone relate?`What could be the cause? Is there anyone natural remedy that might help? I can live with it, but still, it is weird that I mostly have it after waking up and then some hours into the day.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

I did not want to open a new "ear" thread, so I post my question here:

As I assume there are quite some of us who have ear problems, especially tinnitus. Mine is strongest, when I wake up in the morning. Can anyone relate?`What could be the cause? Is there anyone natural remedy that might help? I can live with it, but still, it is weird that I mostly have it after waking up and then some hours into the day.

Hi Maybe,

My tinnitus seems to worsen as the day progresses.

Gingo Biloba allegedly helps.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

This is so weird....I wonder what is the cause? There seems to be no real damage, for than there wouldn't be waves and windows. I just don't get it.

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Administrator

Maybe -- no problem starting a topic on a different symptom.

Tinnitus is a recognized side effect of many psychiatric drugs.

Wellbutrin aggravated my pre-existing tinnitus badly.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I also had a light pre-existing tinnitus. Now it is much stronger sometimes. Did it get better for you?

• Administrator

It got better off the Wellbutrin, but not any better than baseline. I had an ear infection many years ago that damaged the nerves.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I never had Tinnitus till I stopped paroxetine had it 24/7 ever since.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

On 8/10/2011 at 1:31 AM, 'Maybe' said:

I also had a light pre-existing tinnitus. Now it is much stronger sometimes. Did it get better for you?

Maybe,

just to reassure you.........I've had tinnitis very badly during various psyche drug WD states and it completely resolved each time. Tinnitis is a common psyche drug WD symptom. Psyche drugs are ototoxic but the damage is usually temporary and reversible.

With this most recent WD, at this stage of recovery, I only get it occassionally and it can be intense at times but only lasts for a few seconds. It's not chronic in nature (as is was in earlier WD) and it actually rarely appears these days.

BTW, it would be wise to educate yourself about the various drugs that have ototoxic effects so you can protect yourself from incuring such damage in the future, especially if you have a pre-existing tinnitis condition.

check out this thread for a list of the many drugs (other than psyche drugs) that you may wish to avoid being exposed to in the future:

inner-ear-problems-drugs-that-can-damage-ears

I hesitate to direct you to this list since, I don't wish to create any fear within you however, knowledge is power. I know for a fact, through repeated personal experiences, that freak'in doctors do NOT warn patients of the ototoxic risks.

I'm surprised I still have perfect hearing since, I was exposed to so many of the drugs on that list and repeatedly, over many years. The good news is I'm okay and you will be too.

While tinnitis is a common side-effect of psyche drugs (as Alto mentioned) I never had the condition when "on" the drugs. However, I developed it as a WD effect. SO many people develop tinnitis in WD.

I agree with Alto re: you will return to your "baseline" condition once you have fully recovered from WD.

Punar

Edited by ChessieCat
updated link

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Thanks Punar!

But my road is clear, i am not going to take any meds anymore if I do not have to. And only, if there is no other remedy.

Thanks Punar!

But my road is clear, i am not going to take any meds anymore if I do not have to. And only, if there is no other remedy.

You're welcome Maybe.

I'm like you re: want to keep my road clear. BTW, I actually like that expression.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• 5 months later...

Just out of interest how many people have suffered from tinnitus after stopping medication. I have never had it before stopping paroxetine in 2005 it started in that first year and I still have it all day everyday!

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have this. One day this past week, I didn't have it. To me it sounds like a billion crickets in my head. It's very annoying and I've wondered, as well, how many others have experienced it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I had episodes of tinnitus before taking any ADs, largely due to hay fever. Withdrawal made it SO much worse. It was incapacitating for the first several months as the stuffiness and ringing in my ear was mostly on the left side, which threw me off-balance. All of it was complicated by not being able to get prescription Allegra. The OTC version just made me sicker with drowsiness, nausea, and developing sensitivities to peanuts and dairy, which I'd never had before.

When I read up on Lexapro side effects, sinus congestion was one of them and that may very well be true of other SSRIs. I *still* am having trouble getting prescription Allegra, so I resorted to herbal medicine, having at least one minced clove of garlic per day in a meal and using a do-it-yourself vaporizer by putting roughly two tablespoons of ordinary kitchen thyme in a small mixing bowl, pouring boiling water on it, and resting my face on the bowl, inhaling until the steam is gone. The latter takes about an hour to have any effect. It works for me, but your mileage may vary.

There's a website, The Road Back, (http://www.theroadback.org/) that offers a free book called How to Get Off Psychoactive Drugs Safely. It's 199 pages and a lot of it is good information regarding withdrawal and specific drug side effects. There's an entire chapter on drug side effects that's very informative. They do push suppplements - their supplements - and that part is largely ignorable.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

I am still coming off of an AD and still taking a benzo ... I've had tinnitus since June 2010. Sometimes it is mild, but sometimes it is intense. In general it is mild to moderate and I can live with it. I would love to know what to do to resolve it, but I haven't found anyone who seems to know what actually causes it or what to do for it.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

I experienced constant ringing in my ears since starting to withdraw from benzos. It stuck around for about 1.5 years post-withdrawal. It was awful! It's completely gone now, thank god.

• 3 weeks later...

I have it...very hard to deal with. Mine started when trying to wean off zoloft october 2010. I've had it ever since. I've been off zoloft since march 2011. Some days the tinnitus is so bad...especially when I'm really anxious. Other days it's there but it's not so bothersome. I just hope it goes away one day.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

I keep getting it off and on. Every time that it sticks around a while I'm scared it will be permanent, but I realized when I say to myself that it will go away, it does. So I'm trying to use mental power to make sure it doesn't stick.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

I had tinnitus before taking AD's, and withdrawal has made it even worse. There are two things I know of that help to relieve the symptoms.

1) Dump two or three tablespoons of common kitchen thyme into a small mixing bowl and pour boiling hot water over it. Rest your face on the edges of the bowl and inhale until the water cools. If it doesn't work the first time, do it again in about an hour.

2) This came from a Mayo Clinic site ( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/earwax-blockage/DS00052/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies) for removing ear wax: a drop of glycerin really helps to soothe any soreness from inflammation (which, I think, is what tinnitus is all about). I would avoid the peroxide, which is drying, and also the baby oil because it has scent in it. I suspect olive oil would work well too, but God forbid we should use anything so cheap and easy. I just happened to have glycerin in my medicine cabinet.

A third one that I'm not so sure of is to avoid sugar and dairy products. I know that my tinnitus is due to sinus blockage, but reducing inflammation can't hurt. Also, buy as much organic and non-GM food as you can afford. The amount of chemicals and tampering that has happened to our food supply is staggering, and who knows what it does to the human body?

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

HI all,

I'm starting to understand why the white noise aka tinnitus is making me so crazy. Starting 30 minutes after I take a dose of Lyrica (150 mgs BID.. stabilizing prior to tapering), the tinnitus gets worse. Could I somehow be sensitized to Lyrica, so that it is very close to causing white noise whether I remain at the same dose or withdrew?

It seems like my body is sending mixed messages. Lyrica(lly) speaking, could this be the equivalent of tolerance withdrawal? :huh: But then the way I feel really does not seem to stack up this way... and I'm sure the confusing messages my body is sending me were at the root of my mistakenly taking an extra dose yesterday, because how could I feel worse if the dose had been taken an hour before. Then, for the next 8 hours I'm feeling fairly good.. the noise is bearable, and does not start to noticably increase until 2 hrs before the next dose is due. This pattern keeps repeating itself.

(again.. Med Minders and Journaling now in use, the above misstep will not happen again. I've been very diligent with the diazepam taper for 21 mos.. only made two dosing mistakes, so the screw up was not my usual)

Thanks for reading,

Schuyler

PS.. I hope this is in the right section. Was not sure if it should have gone into Tapering.

HOookayyy. I'm coming totally clean here. Can coffee make tinnitus worse? I had to ditch it with the top half of my benzo taper because I got agitated after drinking it. But with Lyrica, I drink coffee 2 hours before taking the 11AM dose, and am okay for the first hour after, which does not seem to indite coffee.. Do I still need to off load my coffee and go to something like a cup of less stimulating tea? Duhhhhh. :(

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

There's a discussion of tinnitus (noise in the ear) on this forum:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1736-tinnitus/

It seems to be a rather common problem in withdrawal along with insomnia and sensitivity to light and noise. I've finally gotten over the insomnia and the light sensitivity has subsided somewhat, but I still have a high-pitched whistling sound in my left ear for several hours after I first get up and sinus blockage that sometimes causes dizziness. Hate it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I keep getting it off and on. Every time that it sticks around a while I'm scared it will be permanent, but I realized when I say to myself that it will go away, it does. So I'm trying to use mental power to make sure it doesn't stick.

Very scary, and this is my concern. Huge sigh, I'm about to jettison my well entrenched coffee habit.. but would like further input on this. My sense it, coffee has to go, but it is literally my only serious vice. Long sigh...

I had tinnitus before taking AD's, and withdrawal has made it even worse. There are two things I know of that help to relieve the symptoms.

Hi Jemima, I just put in for the book you mentioned. Sorry to hear you are so affected and hope relief is in the offing.

Schuyler

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup... does not address the caffeine connection, but I'm getting more and more convinced this might be the missing piece. Sighhhh. I love my coffee.. all 4 cups a day. Huge groan. I like tinnitus less however. Ringing and Coffee are Connected

I was hard pressed to give up coffee before, but it looks like this needs to be jettisoned again. Has to be, I have my second cup of coffee AFTER taking the Lyrica.. which is when it is getting worse.

GLUMP.. !@#$%^ I'm having an adult, or maybe not so adult snit fit. :o:(:angry:

Schuyler

• Administrator

I merged the tinnitus topics.

Yes, tinnitus in withdrawal is another hypersensitivity reaction.

Schuyler, your nervous system may have gotten hypersensitized again from Lyrica withdrawal. If I were you, I'd definitely reduce caffeine. It's an activating substance, exactly what you don't need if you have withdrawal symptoms.

Because of inconsistency in dosing, the amount of Lyrica in your bloodstream may not be at a steady state yet. This could be adding to your problems.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup... does not address the caffeine connection, but I'm getting more and more convinced this might be the missing piece. Sighhhh. I love my coffee.. all 4 cups a day. Huge groan. I like tinnitus less however. Ringing and Coffee are Connected

I was hard pressed to give up coffee before, but it looks like this needs to be jettisoned again. Has to be, I have my second cup of coffee AFTER taking the Lyrica.. which is when it is getting worse.

GLUMP.. !@#$%^ I'm having an adult, or maybe not so adult snit fit. :o:(:angry:

Schuyler

Thank you so much for the tinnitis link! I've searched the web before for help, but I never came across this site. I'm going to try taking a zinc supplement and see what happens.

As for coffee, I had to give that up almost immediately because I was already hyperactive and irritable from Lexapro withdrawal. What I found to be a good subsitute is chicory, brewed in a stovetop percolator. It tastes like gourmet coffee, but it's an herb that actually cleanses the liver and does several other beneficial things I can't remember. It costs more than coffee, but if you can afford it, here's where I got mine:

http://nuts.com/search?q=chicory

It didn't seem to stimulate me at all, but it tastes really good to a coffee-lover. Oddly, I've completely lost my taste for coffee since then and now drink decaf tea by the quart.

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay.. the time line here could be coincidental, but it has happened too many times to just ignore. I'm taking 150 mgs of Lyrica BID at 10 AM and 10 PM sharp. Problem is this.. it seems that taking a dose ramps up tinnitus, but of course, if I miss a dose, I go into withdrawal, and this makes matters yet worse still.

So.. it seems like the 150 mgs hitting my system amplifies symptoms, then 8 hours on, they improve, then the same up tick in symptoms with the next dose. !@# if I do, and !@# if I don't. Is this in my imagination? Could 150 mgs hitting my system at once be taxing. I pulled back from QID as that had me needlessly taking a dose in the middle of the night. Maybe TID would have been a good call, but this seemed excessive given it would have been necessary to dilute the 150 mg capsules solely for the purpose of splitting them into 3 doses, and at this point what I need most is to stabilize.

My system must have been taxed as much as could be with the tail end of the benzo taper, and trying to reduce on Lyrica put it into overdrive, hence it's pretty fragile at present.

Thanks,

Schuyler

• Administrator

If taking a dose ramps up symptoms, try decreasing the dose slightly, perhaps to 140mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

If taking a dose ramps up symptoms, try decreasing the dose slightly, perhaps to 140mg.

Thanks Alto.. It's now 2 hours since the last dose, and I could swear the sound has just gotten that little bit worse.

So I would be taking 280 mgs a day as opposed to 300 mgs... guess that is right. Thanks for your input.

Schuyler

• Moderator Emeritus

OMGGG I cannot win for trying! I'm so ridiculously anxious about this. ARGH I just took 2/3 of a dose too EARLY by 3 hours. I was hyper focused on getting the right measure/amount. I automatically put the pre prepared syringe in my mouth instead of the setting it aside for 10 AM. How many ways can I find to screw up!

I'm sure this mishap is no more than a small/tiny bump, but it illustrates the problems I'm having getting the right dose at the right time.

Schuyler

PS.. even if I'm crawling off Lyrica (20 mgs is less than 10%) I am reducing! I'm suspicious the tinnitus is simultaneously from the hi dose, and tapering, made more sensitive by the diazepam taper.

Just out of interest how many people have suffered from tinnitus after stopping medication. I have never had it before stopping paroxetine in 2005 it started in that first year and I still have it all day everyday!

I had a stomach flu about 2 weeks ago, and had tinnitus big time. If it wasn't a swarm of locusts, it was the sound of escaping steam from a steam heat register. It has gone away for the most part, although I still hear the locusts occasionally or a dull high pitched sound.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I had a stomach flu about 2 weeks ago, and had tinnitus big time. If it wasn't a swarm of locusts, it was the sound of escaping steam from a steam heat register. It has gone away for the most part, although I still hear the locusts occasionally or a dull high pitched sound.

When did you first have tinnitus.. can you trace it to a medication?

Schuyler

Schuyler

Like I said, it was 2 weeks ago, after a stay in the ER for a stoach bug. I'm beginning to think Viibryd might had something to do with it. Last time I had it, was 17 years ago, when I was on Effexor. I was not on that drug for long (maybe about a month), Since my diabetes was still out of control. The doctor pulled me off because the high pitched squeal was getting annoying.

History:

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Schuyler

Like I said, it was 2 weeks ago, after a stay in the ER for a stoach bug. I'm beginning to think Viibryd might had something to do with it. Last time I had it, was 17 years ago, when I was on Effexor. I was not on that drug for long (maybe about a month), Since my diabetes was still out of control. The doctor pulled me off because the high pitched squeal was getting annoying.

Wow... I thought you had a history of tinnitus, and the episode with the flu stirred it up. I looked up Viibryd, and while discontinuation causes tinnitus, I'm sure taking a regular dose can do the same.

Thanks for your input!

Schuyler

Schuyler

Wow... I thought you had a history of tinnitus, and the episode with the flu stirred it up. I looked up Viibryd, and while discontinuation causes tinnitus, I'm sure taking a regular dose can do the same.

Thanks for your input!

Schuyler

It wouldn't surprise me if I have a sensitivity to antidepressants. When I first started on antidepressants, Prozac turned me mean. I was pulled off it faster than when I went on, approximately 2 weeks. I was put on Effexor about 6 months later. I was off one month later because of the tinnitus, and Effexor was wrecking my voice. 2 months later, I was on amitriphelene, and was taken off 3 months later because I couldn't handle the inebriated feeling. I was antidepressant free ubtil 7 years ago, when I put on citalopram, after I started hearing the voices again. 3 years later,buspar was added to the mix because of anxiety. I was put on Viibryd, after being weaned off citalopram in october of last year, about a month before my mother died. I was taken off Buspar 1 month ago when I started getting panic attacks. Then, finally, I was taken off Viibryd, after the panic attacks got worse. I'm still waiting for the clinic to call back with instructions on what to do next to get me off this merry go round.

History:

Incidentally, the music director at my church has a daughter that is on paxil and ritalin due to chronic fatigue syndrome and adhd. i'm not even going there.

History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi meistersinger,

Do you think, that after all the tries you have had, another medication, further down the doc's choice list, would help? Every time you are on and off antidepressants, your system becomes more and more sensitized. This would seem to be a greater risk?

Perhaps it would be better to look to some of the natural remedies discussed on this site. They will not hurt you, and at the very least, the amount of energy you put into participating should help pull you clear of some of the depressive ideation.

Schuyler

That's exactly one of the discussion I'm going to have with him tomorrow. I want to feel him out on homeopathic medicine, like melatonin, and good old fashioned talk therapy, with a hhealthy dose of Freud and Jung, and an even bigger dose of Martin Luther). (being an insulin dependent diabetic, I don't think my body can handle another load of synthetic chemistry). Also, since I suspect I also suffered Asperger's when I was younger, I may have been misdiagnosed. I'll be talking to him about testing for ASD. Not. being able to find, and retain, employment over the last 25 years, and not being able to vent, or do anything about it is probably why I'm so down.

History:

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy