squirrel

Tinnitus -- What does all that noise mean?

95 posts in this topic

tinnitus leads me in 2 different directions.

1) the TMJ / Jaw, compression through bruxism grinding of teeth at night seems to be able to kick of Tinnitus. 

2) withdrawal leading to low dopamine ( in my case) kicks of tinnitus ( both ears, constant, 8mhz). ( 2 years since withdrawal so looks to be permanent)

Google "tinnitus dopaminergic pathway"

I had bruxism immediately after starting SNRi's

then tinnitus which started 1 week into the taper.

Pretty sure thats dopamine.

Not sure if to try messing with dopamine levels

Hi Jjnz,

this was posted by Moodyblues for some other member suffering from tinnitus and I believe it will help you:

Ah Tinnitus. My companion for life. Your story sounds familiar. Mine started exactly the same way, while sleeping. Fortunately it sounds like your situation is milder than mine. I know very well how crushing it is to wake up in the middle of night to your ears suddenly screaming for no reason. In addition to tinnitus I have a nasty hyperacusia. It`s even worse symptom than tinnitus.

What ever the reason for your tinnitus is, it probably has been there for a while. It just was brought to surface by your wd. The good news is that many have gotten rid of it once all the wd symptoms slowly fade away. It may take years. Another good thing is that if it does not go away, you can learn to live with it, no matter how bad the sounds is. Bad thing is that it is not easy. Tinnitus really is not a sound. It is just your brain misinterpreting the signals it gets from your hearing nerves. Since we are very sensitized thanks to wd these signals are magnified and makes tinnitus bad. The more you fear it the worse it gets but the tinnitus itself does not make it worse. 

There are a few things you can do. Most important thing is to get you to sleep again if it causes you anxiety while trying to sleep. It is common that tinnitus may be very bad in the middle of night. This was the case for me in acute withdrawal. It was like fire alarm was stuck on inside my head. There is a great app called White Noise by TMsoft. It has got loads of back round noises to distract you from it. I play it every night and I sleep well. Usually I use it day time too. Do not use it to mask the tinnitus completely. Just use it to take the fear away. That way you can teach your brain to take the tinnitus as a friendly noise and in time you will lose interest in it and you will not notice it unless you look for it. 

I was a very bad case thanks to burnout, ssri/benzo combo and a couple of unsuccessful wd`s. These days I can live with and I`m confident that someday it will not bother me anymore.

You probably have read many horror stories from the net about tinnitus. Forget them. This will not kill you and with the right attitude anyone can learn to live with it with no problem  :)

Br,

Moody

Hi all

I woke up at 5am a few days ago with a very distinct sound like a vibration of some sort in my right ear. I would explain it like a car engine running behind a wall type of sound, or a cell phone vibration. Very low and only perceivable during complete silence. It's sometimes continuous, some other times erratic. 

The worst bit is that it happened while sleeping and it just doesn't go away. I sometimes forget it's there, but it comes back just to let me know I can't fool myself. 

I often sit in different locations and positions just to see if I can hear it. Other times I lose focus on whatever I'm doing and concentrate on the sound. 

Needless to say, 1 year after withdrawal, I had built a fairly good sense of well being and was on my way to consider myself closer to being cured of Paroxetine withdrawal and all that was lost in a couple of days.

Now, I know I must separate Tinnitus from my Anxiety. Although they are related, one is a physical reaction, the other is a psychological reaction. Being hypocondriac (due to the depression I had 7 years ago), it doesn't help me to think about any serious condition that could cause the tinnitus. It's like a snowball effect. Especially if you search Dr.Google... an error I often commit. 

At this point I have very low appetite, my sleep is very, very light and wake up to any sound, possibly due to the fact that I'm hearing the hum and it prevents me to go deeper into sleep. I also have some hearing loss, or maybe it's just me focusing too much, I dunno. I went to the otorhino and he said I had no inflammation and the ear looked great, better than average. 

At this point, I am trying to learn how to live with this. Understanding that many people have this chronically doesn't help, but maybe I can make it go away. Who knows?

Sort of extrapolating from the book The Mind and the Brain, and seeing (from my dear friend Dr. Google) that vagal stimulation can help some, I think it is something that can happen in a brain that senses interior danger (Alto's theory of the cause of protracted withdrawal). I think that is why you see (hear) it coming and going with meds. It must be miserable...hope it eases soon!

In my limited experience, taking my mind of it makes it a lot less present. Still there, but not as dramatic. 

Ease is all I seek, for now. I have to be positive and not just believe in fairy tales, I know, but I feel I will cure this thing. I've been through so much, this is just another barrier to cross. 

I am off Lexapro now for 14 months.

I have had horrible ear ringing for four months now...more like ear ROARING, worse at bedtime and immediately upon waking. 

It is SLOWLY getting better.

But in trying to figure out what is causing this infernal ear ringing, I have noticed one thing.

When I spend the occasional half hour smoking a cigar, the ear ringing completely disappears the entire time while having the nicotine (fast acting).

And within minutes of stopping the nicotine, the ear ringing comes right back.

Nicotine acts strongly on GABA receptors. GABA is a key player in SSRI withdrawal symptoms. Lamictal, a gabaergic player, has been mentioned as being helpful at extremely low doses to reduce SSRI withdrawal symptoms due to its gabaergic activity.

Or, the vasocontrictive action of nicotine reduces inflammation at the site of nerve damage repair process.

Whatever the mechanism, the ear ringing ALWAYS goes away when I ingest nicotine.

I would NEVER recommend using smoking to treat withdrawal!

Smoking is extremely destructive, toxic, and addictive. Of course we all know that, but it has to be said.

And smoking will not cure these symptoms! It will ONLY cause harm by its use, and probably hamper recovery from SSRI withdrawal. 

Nicotine will aggravate other withdrawal symptoms - we know to avoid nicotine during withdrawal. In fact, although my ear ringing goes away while having the cigar, I also get tachycardia, chest tightness, restlessness, anxiety, and other uncomfortable symptoms from the nicotine. Nicotine is bad!

In fact, the longer I stay away from nicotine, the better I feel overall. I feel much more relaxed and less anxious the longer I stay away from it. 

This information is provided solely to help understand the nature of SSRI withdrawal tinnitus. 

Does anyone have any other information to provide that can shed light on possible causes of SSRI withdrawal tinnitus?

Currently in a zoloft withdrawal and have tinnitus in the region of my left ear (7 weeks). 

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8910-chris111-zoloft-ringing-ears/

I just hate the sound that is being produced...

I read that excessive ear wax can cause this sound, therefore I stopped using cotton swabs for my ears (I have been using cotton swabs for a long time).

I remember having tinnitus on both ears (Before I took the ZOLOFT) but the sound was happening towards the edge of my ears. Now, its just my left ear, although the sound being produced right now seems to be going on "inside" my ear. I guess the medication brought it to "surface".

I am planning on buying those over the counter ear wax removal kits.

Has anybody had any success with removing ear wax from their ears resulting with the tinnitus disappearing? 

Your PCP or an otolaryngologist can remove ear wax. If you have a very bad case, it's probably safer to have someone else do it.

Tinnitus can be caused by grinding of the teeth which I have been doing a lot of since WD started.... Seen the dentist if and get a night guard fitted if all else fails :)

I went to the doctor for ear wax removal during withdrawal because of increased tinnitus.  I've had ringing in my right ear through much of withdrawal, it gets worse at times, better at other times. But one evening it was suddenly much worse and I had lost some of my hearing. Long story short, I had an ear wax blockage and it was removed, I could hear properly again and my tinnitus went back to its normal annoying levels.

Your doctor will be able to see if you have a wax buildup and remove it safely. I tried doing it myself using methods I found on youtube, but it didn't work.

If you want to read more about my ear wax removal experience you can, I documented it in my intro thread, starting from about here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4278-petunia-recovering-from-13-years-of-antidepressant-use/?p=100831

I have a friend who says his Buzz buzz is not in his ears but in his brain. Is that same thing? He's had it since using zoloft and had it last 18mths. Getting to a point he wanted out of this world as he couldn't deal with the constant buzz. All day every day, driving him nuts. 

He was drug free for 10mths and decided to try drugs again in hope of stopping the noise, been on lexapro for a few wks, drs increasing his dose to 20mg, couldn't sleep even a min, so was put on sequel (sp?) which made him more suicidal. Now been taken off lexapro over 3 days, one day of nothing and starting prestiq.  Buzzing never stopping, now has huge anxiety and panic attacks.  A big mess. 

Is there a way to stop the buzz??

I have a friend who says his Buzz buzz is not in his ears but in his brain. Is that same thing? He's had it since using zoloft and had it last 18mths. Getting to a point he wanted out of this world as he couldn't deal with the constant buzz. All day every day, driving him nuts. 

Same for me, the ringing is from the brain and emanates outward to the ears.

I got hit with the "head ringing" ten months after stopping Lexapro, and have had it nonstop for 8 months now. It is accompanied by head and ear pressure too, and "wavy" feelings in the brain. 

It was worse in the right ear for 4 months, that subsided, now worse in the left ear for four months, but always the head is filled with the noise.

It gets worse when my other withdrawal symptoms worsen. During windows, the ear ringing is much more tolerable, but always there.

I suspect it is similar to akathisia/parathesia from SSRI WD, but inside the brain. 

It is much worse while laying in bed. As horrible and loud as it is when I lay down for bed, I have slept well almost every night during all this tinnitus. It does not really affect my sleep.  And if I am busy in the day, it usually is on the back burner. But reading and quiet time just ain't fun anymore. Best to watch TV, be active outside, or just be in noisy areas. Family gatherings are good, all that talking distracts from the tinnitus. 

I can hope that it will run its course and be more tolerable as overall recovery is achieved by year 3 or 4 of my Lexapro WD. So I have a ways to go.

For me, symptoms of the head ringing have healed and morphed similar to other WD symptoms, so as healing continues, the ringing should become more tolerable over time as windows and waves continues.

The ringing comes back strong during waves, just like any other SSRI WD symptom. 

I had two days last week, for the first time in 8 months, that my ears did not ring during the day.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Too bad that reinstating on these SSRIs did not stop his ringing.

When the ringing gets bad and lasts for long, SI is bound to happen. Been there a few times. It's a form of living hell, especially if you think it will not get better.

When I smoke a cigar, the nicotine always makes the ringing disappear while I am smoking it. But obviously tobacco is not an option to treat this WD tinnitus. Since nicotine acts on GABA receptors, perhaps a GABA actor such as lamictal - lamotrigine in very small amounts (less than 5 mg) would help with this. Just a guess, I have not tried that yet, and am not recommending it. 

I have this. One day this past week, I didn't have it. To me it sounds like a billion crickets in my head. It's very annoying and I've wondered, as well, how many others have experienced it.

Oh! I didn't know that my nightly chorus of crickets was a form of tinnitus. I actually like the sound of crickets, reminds me of summer nights in better times. But sometimes it does get annoyingly loud.

I've been getting a high pitched ringing in one or another ear periodically in recent weeks but it usually does not last very long. I wrongly thought that tinnitus produced a ringing sound only (like my more recent experiences).

I have so many weird head sounds and sensations, coupled with the anxiety the symptoms produce, that it is hard to put my finger on exactly what I am experiencing until I read someone else's description. It' hard to figure things out when I'm terrified.

So thankyou Tezza and others for making this clearer.

I've been having mild tinnitus at nighttime, and I found this which appears to work for some people and not others.  Hasn't worked for me yet, but in case others might find it useful ... It involves tapping on the back of your head for a minute or so.  I'm going to look for a video clip as the written description might mean I'm not doing it quite right. 

Thanks, Karen -

I tried that, and it helped temporarily. Anything that helps even for a short duration is nice, and not only that, it helps us to try and figure out the nature of our own tinnitus.

I give myself deep muscle massages at the base of my skull, in the back of my head, the top of my neck, and this also sometimes reduces the ringing for a short time. 

It's nice to know that the tinnitus is not all-powerful, that something we can do will stop it, even for a short time. It gives us a little sense of control.

Hopefully our bodies will continue to heal and the tinnitus will eventually lessen and go away, as it has for those who have recovered. 

I got tinnitus when I was transitioning between medicines and reducing them. It has been 2 1/2 years and at times it is better than it was.  Just wondering if anyone else has tinnitus that eventually went away.

Unfortunately, my tinnitus and Menieres disappeared after starting Prozac. I've been tapering over 3 months and haven't experienced the tinnitus so I'm hoping it won't. Good luck.

Happy for you that it went away...are you completely off of Prozac?

Mine seems to be with me during waves, but be almost un-noticeable in windows. 

3 years still have tinnitus

After 5 years, I still have mine, but its less noticeable generally, it gets worse at times though.

Here is our tinnitus topic: Tinnitus -- What does all that noise mean? - Symptoms and ... *topics merged

~~~~~

When you have a question or comment about a specific symptom, please search to see if we already have a related topic, we usually do.  Then you can benefit from previously collected information and add to the discussion.  This keeps the site organized with all available knowledge in one thread, easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use Google. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

Edited by Petunia
updated

I got also tinnitus after going off meds completely. At first it was very unpleasant, but with the time it almost went away. I get it only very seldom by falling asleep when everything is so silent, but it does not bother me so much anymore.

I've had it nonstop for the past few months since tapering off Paxil.

I got tinnitus for 16 months now. Both sides, different sounds. Sometimes it's so heavy that my ears feels like vibrating. It's so loud inside my head. The tinnitus comes if something is too stressful.

Almost 5 years now ...... varies in intensity, comes with the buzzing/crickets ........learning to live with it ........

I had read on another board that people have reported tinnitus and other ear symptoms 2-5 months after stopping Cymbalta. I don't know how accurate this is.

I developed tinnitus, along with intermittent ear pain and pressure 2 months after getting off Cymbalta, (but 2-3 weeks after starting Lexapro). I suspect the ear issues are due to either the getting off Cymbalta, or beginning Lexapro.

Does anyone know of delayed ear problems happening when you get off Cymbalta, or any antidepressant?

Tinnitus is just another withdrawal/ toxicity symptom. Some people first develop it when starting meds.

and it's an indication that there's too much drug for the person to tolerate.

Other people develop it as a withdrawal symptom , and it can begin up to 18 months after stopping.

See our thread on "Head Noise and other symptoms in the Head" here https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpp5Pd6fnLAhXjKqYKHdk4BowQFggvMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsurvivingantidepressants.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F1388-head-noise-and-other-symptoms-in-the-head%2Fpage-2&usg=AFQjCNGodZQQjJtonjRmx5IBN0r5j6pG0w&sig2=fzoP6ykmVbQMIZzP5w2CSQ&bvm=bv.118443451,d.dGY

Is it common for, or has anyone else experienced evolving tinnitus? Mine changes every month or so...or roughly every 5 to 7 weeks. I get a new tinnitus sound added on each time. This is concerning to me. Can withdrawal do this?

Mine changes also.  Sometimes it's high-pitched sounds, sometimes one ear, sometimes two, sometimes a roaring ocean kind of noise.  Sometimes constant, sometimes it changes with my movements. 

I believe it's just my brain working through what it needs to in order to heal.

Mines been going for 9 months now.

It varies in intensity and pitch and also sometimes sounds like a jet engine. I have actually learned to live with it - it's pain I struggle with.

However thanks to SG and friends, I am now onto Mr Echart Tohl and the Pain Body. Working on my understanding of the psychology behind this.

My story with tinnitus has been somewhat confusing. When I think about it, I might have developed some sort of tinnitus when I was younger, and most likely forgot about it. Reason why, during my second week of reinstatement until now, it might have been resurfaced when I looked into it for the first time on detail. However, Hyperacusis has been something I've never experienced before and now follows my former symptoms. Worse because this Sunday I've experienced a screeching noise during a subway trip and I'm dreading that it might have damaged my inner ears. I just don't know if this symptom had resurfaced due to the reinstatement of because of the WD. It is something I've never experienced before, and I've gone off Lexapro CT more than once.

You've differentiated between tinnitus (ringing in the ears , sounds inside the head) and hyperacusis , sensitivity

to sounds outside the head. So many of us have that experiences of even small noises becoming unbearable ,

uncomfortable like nails screeching on a blackboard. I literally jump when I hear a door slam , and am particularly

sensitive to noises from neighbours where I live. Each additional time we start and stop medications , we're prone

to develop new symptoms.

Neither of these symptoms is permanent , so the screeching subway isn't likely to have done any permanent damage.

Perhaps you would like to start a topic about "hyperacusis" in this section?

"Hyperacusis is the name for intolerance to everyday sounds that causes significant distress and affects a person's day-to-day activities.

The condition can vary quite a lot. For example, some people find loud noises extremely uncomfortable, some find certain noises particularly annoying, some develop a fear of certain noises, while others experience pain when hearing ordinary sounds.

Hyperacusis can also be a side effect of certain medications. If you're taking any medication, check the leaflet it comes with to see if hyperacusis is listed as a possible side effect".

The NHS Choices website has more info and links about tinnitus and Hyperacusis

Mine changes too ......... for the most part I just live with it with the help of white noise from the radio or TV. I used to get a few hours break from it every few weeks (such blissful silence) but have not for a very long time. At 5 years off I figure this one may be permanent ....... not great but there are far worse things ....... like still being on these foul poisons.

I have a type of pulsating tinnitus in one ear. It is as if magnified heart beat that I hear in my ear. Irritating in times. Don't know if I should investigate it further or treat ad WD? I have had it for over half a year...

Has anybody have symptom like this? What could be an explanation?

Hi ikam,

Have you had your blood pressure checked?