SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Derealization or Depersonalization (DR and DP)

squirrel

I found Shaun O-Conner's ebook (pdf download and MP3) The DP Manual to be very, very helpful.

It is a site of commerce (he charges for the download) so I will post the url without directly linking: http://www.dpmanual.com/

I think that anyone suffering from DP might greatly be helped with the information and suggestions that he provides.

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

Thanks so much Annej for the book link and Nadia for your input. So nice to hear it will end! It's worse when I haven't slept, which I often do not, due to the w/d AND menopause hitting simultaneously. It's a cruel irony that the time we need to sleep the most for healing is when our brains are trying to rewire...but can't because with the rewiring comes insomnia!

Life seems so backwards sometimes.

Pandora

06/12 - Tapered off Cipralex. 30mg/Lithium 600mg/Epival 500mg

Very difficult time with 3-month taper off all drugs.

11/12 - Doc prescribed clonazepam 1 mg. for insomnia

01/14 - Clonazepan taper from 1 mg to .75 mg, then liquid microtaper to .638 mg. Depersonalization, extreme fatigue, muscle aches off/on.

05/15 - Switched to dry cut at .625 mg. Ok for 2-3 weeks, then same strong symptoms. Holding .625 mg.

06/15 - Switched over to liquid dosing .3125 ml 2x/day, 11 am & 11 pm.  Symptoms mild and no sleep issues.  Holding .625 mg/day.

10/15 - down to .530 mg. clonazepam in 4 months. .265 mg 2x/ day @ 10 am/10 pm. 

11/15 - holding at .528

11/15 - started microtaper to relieve persistent w/d symptoms

01/16 - microtaper not improving things; extremely sensitive to slightest decreases 

02/16 - holding at .524. 

Lack of sleep is probably a major part of it! And yes, it seems cruel that the very thing we need to heal is what we can't get. I think the important thing is not to panic, to believe you'll get better, and to do things actively that over time will help you out (even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment). The big mistake is to wait to feel better to do things like take walks, eat well, interact with other people. You have to take baby steps, but it's important to keep moving forward!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Depersonalization really bad the last couple days, and very intense right now. Last week exercise seemed to help alot, this week I feel as if I am existing in some dream where everything I touch feels foreign, numb, food feels strange in my mouth, my own voice sounds like someone else's (whose?) and the people I live with look familiar, but unfamiliar. It's freaking me out, frankly. My feelings range from being on the verge of a panic attack to collapsing from exhaustion or bursting into tears.

If anything would make me go back to the toxic ADs this is it. The only thing stopping me is the thought of going through this again, from the beginning.

I'm re-reading the posts and trying to take the advice about not panicking and just letting it happen without thinking too much but it's hard. Please reassure that I'm not going insane or that this is the permanent state of my brain from hereon in.

Thanks.

01/14 - Clonazepan taper from 1 mg to .75 mg, then liquid microtaper to .638 mg. Depersonalization, extreme fatigue, muscle aches off/on.

05/15 - Switched to dry cut at .625 mg. Ok for 2-3 weeks, then same strong symptoms. Holding .625 mg.

06/15 - Switched over to liquid dosing .3125 ml 2x/day, 11 am & 11 pm.  Symptoms mild and no sleep issues.  Holding .625 mg/day.

11/15 - holding at .528

01/16 - microtaper not improving things; extremely sensitive to slightest decreases 

02/16 - holding at .524. 

Pandora,

You're not going insane but ~ I know ~ it sure does feel that way when DP/DR are bad. All of your senses are readapting. It left me feeling very ungrounded. There were many times that I thought I was *going crazy* but then realized that if I really was, I would not know or suspect it.

Do you have pets? My dogs were able to break through that wall when nothing else did.

It does get better.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks so much Barb. It does help alot that I make sense to someone when I'm like this! I do have a really sweet dog, but when I patted him earlier during my mini freak-out his fur felt strange like everything else, and I think that upset me more than anything.

Oh, to be ignorant and blissful and crazy... you're right, I guess I wouldn't know if it were truly happening.

I like your explanation of the senses reorganizing. It makes sense. I just wish they would hurry the hell up.

Thanks.

Pandora

11/15 - holding at .528

02/16 - holding at .524. 

Hang in there, Pandora! It's hell, but you can get through it. And it will go away. Just observe it. Tell yourself things like, I observe myself feeling very strange. Or just, "I observe myself feeling this." It won't make it go away, but it can help you get through it. Try not to engage the thoughts, but don't push them away either. Easier said than done, I know.

Don't forget to sit in the sun if you can, or breathe in looking at the horizon, or have a cup of tea. Anything that normally would give you comfort. Even if it doesn't feel like it's helping, it might eventually get you on the right track. Also, hug yourself, and tell yourself that this is a tough thing to be going through and you're doing a good job just living through it. It helps to be kind to yourself. You're still "in there" and you will come back.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I'm happy to know I'm not crazy, and that other people have these feelings too. Never knew, until recently, that it even had a name. Thought it was all just in my head, which I guess it is. It's amazing that something so totally abstract can mess you up so bad. I can't even imagine how anyone would ever be able to work with these feelings. Do people work in this state? Have had this problem since I was 14 to some extent, gotten really bad over the past couple of years, no break at all for past 1.5 years. Only flare-ups, where it's almost completely unbearable. The only way I've found to lessen the misery is to distract myself. Stay busy. Focus on other people, do things for other people. Works sometimes during the day, but as evening turns to night and things quiet down, it comes right back full force. Of all the mental health related problems I've experienced, this one is the most discerning. Honestly, if I knew for sure that I was going to feel this way forever, that this was how my life was going to be forever, I would opt out now. I need to get out of this soon, cause I have 2 little kids and a husband who would kinda like for me to stick around.

9-16-12: Lamictal 400, Effexor 150, Wellbutrin 300, Ambien 5, Klonopin 2

9-17-12: Lamictal 200, C/T Effexor, C/T Wellbutrin, Ambien 5, Klonopin 2

9-21-12: Lamictal 100, Effexor 150, Ambien 10, Klonopin 3

• Administrator

I don't know if I posted this before -- I had this for several years when my Paxil withdrawal syndrome was worse, it did get better.

As a psychological symptom with no drugs or withdrawal involved, I believe it's attributed to an abused or highly stressed childhood.

Have you looked into non-drug therapies for your sense of derealization/depersonalization, Hannah?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hannah, I feel for you with little kids to look after. How distressing it must be, as the job is hard enough when you're feeling well. I agree with Alto, in fact I can attest to the stressed childhood as a factor and this strange out-of-self place we go to escape.

I am looking into cognitive-behavioral therapy with help for the anxiety/depression and from what I've learned through my research it is an amazing tool to help get through this. I also came across a book called The Stranger in the Mirror, which deals with this little-known disorder. I haven't bought it yet, so I can't give a review on it but it might help you to know you are certainly not alone.

I've been feeling really badly out of myself for the last few days but today I am a bit better. Nadia's advice in her post from yesterday has really helped. Check it out.

Pandora

11/15 - holding at .528

02/16 - holding at .524. 

• 11 months later...

I have been dealing with severe DR/DP for 14 months straight and i am very very scared it wont fade and go away. Has anyone ever seen it not go away or get better? I am really scared :'(

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• 2 months later...

This is the worst symptom i have and i am scared it wont lessen and go away. I have it very very severe. Everyone says give it time but i have fought for a long time. Please anyone who had it years and get better/went away?

Thank you

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Hi Medfree, I had really severe DP/DR for about three years and it did go away. Keep hanging on, it will get better.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I'm with you, Medfree. DR is my most distressing symptom right now. It never goes away, only gets slightly better. It makes everything around you seem strange and menacing. I am frequently freaked out by my own arms! WTH? I don't know how DR is this bad when I have been tapering so slow, but it is what it is. I pray it gets better somehow for the the both of us. At least you are off the drugs and truly healing. Have you ever had your thyroid tested? I have heard that low thyroid function can contribute to derealization symptoms. My thyroid has been wonky so that could be part of the problem in my case.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

Thanks UnfoldingSky, i am hanging on and praying everyday that it will get better.

Hi Medfree, I had really severe DP/DR for about three years and it did go away. Keep hanging on, it will get better.

Hi Ladybug. Sorry to hear you are also experiencing this horrible symptom. Yes, i had my thyroid checked and it is apparently normal...

I'm with you, Medfree. DR is my most distressing symptom right now. It never goes away, only gets slightly better. It makes everything around you seem strange and menacing. I am frequently freaked out by my own arms! WTH? I don't know how DR is this bad when I have been tapering so slow, but it is what it is. I pray it gets better somehow for the the both of us. At least you are off the drugs and truly healing. Have you ever had your thyroid tested? I have heard that low thyroid function can contribute to derealization symptoms. My thyroid has been wonky so that could be part of the problem in my case.

mine went away too...meditation and yoga helped...yoga and other body modalities of therapy are really important for me...I think derealization is often a sort of unwillingness to really and deeply be in the body (because it's so damn horrifying in there in so many ways)

hang on and be gentle and kind...yoga, walking (mindfully) and any other movement meditation (chi gong, tai chi etc) might be helpful. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Please excuse me for not being familiar with the term derealization, but if it's that unreality feeling- like you're observing life and yourself rather than participating in life and being yourself, I've experienced it, and it did go away.  I don't know what triggered mine other than the stress of a divorce with my ex attempting to take my kids away, but it went on for over a year and has now completely resolved.  It resolved so slowly that I don't even remember it getting gradually better.  I just noticed one day that it was gone, completely gone.  Don't lose hope.  Oh, and if I recall correctly, you too are in a very stressful environment.  That can mess with your mind too.  How about addressing the stressful environment (with help) first, and maybe the DR could improve too. 

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Merged several similar topics.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie so I hope I'm in the appropriate section to write this.

I am having a lot of trouble with 'depersonalization.' I notice that different people give different meaning to it but I personally like this definition from Webster's. Depersonalization is the feeling that you are observing yourself from outside your body or you have a sense that things around you aren't real, or both."

For me personally, it's like I am constantly looking inward. It's very weird and if you have had it you know what I mean. I'd like to ask if anyone else has experienced this during tapering? Also, I just started having a throbbing/pulsating in the back of my head. It just pounds and pounds.

I would appreciate knowing if others have had experienced these symptoms. Thank you!

Cbergens

started Paxil withdrawal 10 months ago at 15 mg

Now down to 4.75 mg.

Had panic disorder for 15 years back in the 1970's - under control for many years now

Currently experiencing symptoms of morning nausea, throbbing/pulsating in head, lack of motivation and ambition.

Cberg

15 years of panic disorder back in the 1970's. Under pretty good control now.

Started Paxil two years ago for nightmares and depression after many eye and back surgeries

Started slow taper two years ago

Started at 15 mg. now down to 2.35 mg.

Symptoms during w/d included severe nausea in the morning, headaches, pulsating/throbbing in back of head

lightheadedness, depersonalization, lack of ambition or motivation to do anything

I came across this as a post on a social anxiety website and I really think it sounds like a really good way to deal with Depersonalization/Derealization. It turns out, I was already doing a lot of these things in an attempt to cope with it but did not know that this can actually lead to a cure for this awful malady. Then with some more research on-line I found that there is actually a book on this disorder that teaches you how to overcome it and it seems that the 'method' is what this person summarized in his post. The person who wrote this post uses some offensive language which I wish was not there, but it is.

Here is the URL for how to overcome Depersonalization/Derealization

http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20892-the-holy-grail-of-curing-dpdr/

Cbegens

Cberg

15 years of panic disorder back in the 1970's. Under pretty good control now.

Started Paxil two years ago for nightmares and depression after many eye and back surgeries

Started slow taper two years ago

Started at 15 mg. now down to 2.35 mg.

Symptoms during w/d included severe nausea in the morning, headaches, pulsating/throbbing in back of head

lightheadedness, depersonalization, lack of ambition or motivation to do anything

• Moderator Emeritus