SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Blogs by doctors critical of psychiatry

Altostrata

• Administrator

The Carlat Psychiatry Blog http://carlatpsychiatry.blogspot.com/ Dr. Daniel Carlat is a prominent psychiatrist who publishes prolifically. He is unrelenting in his criticisms of psychiatry's conflicts of interest and symbiosis with the pharmaceutical industry.

He permits a wide range of views in comments on his blog.

Aside from his practice in Newburyport, MA, he derives his own income from a paid monthly newsletter, The Carlat Psychiatry Report, in which he advises doctors about how to use psych drugs. He is, therefore, conflicted in that he strongly believes in the value of psychiatric medications used widely but "properly," and unable to see how his own practice is compromised by bad research and lack of knowledge about adverse effects.

His biography is here http://www.danielcarlat.com/dcarlat-bio.htm

The Last Psychiatrist http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/ If you can get beyond the advertising on his blog, he has interesting things to say about a lot of things, such as http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/09/are_there_really_so_many_peopl.html#more I've corresponded with him and he acknowledges antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. He also agrees with me that Nardil withdrawal syndrome may have driven David Foster Wallace to suicide, and psych drug reactions were involved in the deaths of Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson (both of whom suffered from intractable insomnia).

Thought Broadcast http://thoughtbroadcast.com Dr. Steve Balt, psychiatrist, practices in San Rafael, California, in a semi-holistic manner. He does not always prescribe drugs.

Feel free to add others here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Here's a great one I just found:

1 Boring Old Man It's a blog from an older psychiatrist who is exposing all the toxic lies and decadence from big pharma to psychiatry. The front-page has many items on Zyprexa and it ain't pretty. Get out your barf bag when you read about the "Viva Zyprexa" ad campaign. I couldn't make it half-way through. Just...shocking. Here's a taste of the poison: a declassified ad slick from the "Viva Zyprexa" launch meeting. I especially love the line "You'll never be the same again!" BOY ain't that the truth! God, they really are selling this poison like a door-to-door salesman sells steak-knives :angry:

Posted Image

And so far, the blog has at least one genuine stand-up-and-cheer entry. Look what he writes here about how psychiatry USED to be:

I miss the days when we didn't act like we knew things we didn't know. We talked, and argued, and changed our minds. We wondered what Shizophrenia is, why it happens. We worried about the lives of the chronic schizophrenic patients and where they lived, what their lives were like. We worried a ton about Tardive Dyskinesia. We tried to get our minds around the loose genetic factors in Manic Depressive illness and Schizophrenia. Analysts were excited about the possibility of Biological Markers and Biologists knew what Narcissism was. We figured out how wrong our predecessors had been about homosexuality. We argued with the Psychologists and then went out for drinks together. We thought about a lot of mental illness as "hurting in your mental" rather than as things with initials. We knew what we didn't know and wrestled with what we did know. New things like obsessive people getting better on SSRIs poked holes in what we thought about obsessional people and we had to rethink the whole story. And then there were some people who were depressed because they were angry, just like we'd always thought. The dialog was alive, relevant, collegial, open-ended instead of key opinion leaders talking about the same things over and over. And most of us knew the names and doses of the drugs, but not which company manufactured them. We sure didn't need a public database to see which drug company paid which Psychiatrist to give what traveling dog and pony show with company slides [because it would've been empty]. And we'd never even heard of ghostwriting. I miss those days a lot. They really were my "good old days."

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

This is a great post.

It's really hard to believe that so few Doc's acknowledge SSRI w/d lasting more than a few months at most. I mentioned to my psychiatrist that I thought I was still suffering the effects of a too-rapid Effexor detox 12 months ago. She didn't dismiss it as impossible. However, she said, simply: "I've never heard of anything like that before."

Alex.I

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

This is a great post.

It's really hard to believe that so few Doc's acknowledge SSRI w/d lasting more than a few months at most. I mentioned to my psychiatrist that I thought I was still suffering the effects of a too-rapid Effexor detox 12 months ago. She didn't dismiss it as impossible. However, she said, simply: "I've never heard of anything like that before."

Alex.I

Well, Alex, now she has. She can't in good faith say that to her next patient who has withdrawal syndrome.

It's important for us to tell doctors what happened to us, even though they may initially be resistant to listening.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

http://dbdouble.blogspot.com/

He's a UK consultant psychiatrist who works for the National Health Service which is quite unusual I think - most of the ones openly critical of the system seem to end up lecturing in universities or working in private practice rather than right at the frontlines of it.

Used SSRI's for mostly 8 years.

Tapered over the course of approx. one year.

• 2 weeks later...

""http://1boringoldman.com/"]1 Boring Old Man""

This is one of my favorite blogs.

The owner, Dr. John Nardo, wrote extensive blog entries providing backup to Ed Pigott's claim that the Star D study was a fraud.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/212-the-stard-scandal/page__p__1907#entry1907

This is very important because one of the criticisms of Dr. Pigott (he is a psychologist) is that he has a bias due to being a partner in NeuroAdvantage, a neuorotherapy company. Supposedly, he is offering a competing solution for people who might normally take antidepressants.

Personally, I think it is fair to point out potential conflicts of interest because we certainly do it with psychiatrists who are connected with drug companies who have done research.

So when someone with Dr. Nardo's credentials is backing Dr. Pigott, obviously, this are big time problems with the Star D study that need to be looked at.

Finally, it is important to mention that Dr. Nardo in his blog entries on Star D, specifically stressed that Dr. Pigott was very careful in his analysis not to make statements that he couldn't back up with facts.

Anyway, I feel this blog is gold big time.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Maryland psychologist H. Edmund Pigott, PhD, is a leading critic of the STAR*D study. He has a blog on Robert Whitaker's site:

http://www.madinamerica.com/madinamerica.com/Pigott.html

I requested some papers from him (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/333-critiques-of-the-stard-study/page__view__findpost__p__3519). Dr. Pigott kindly sent me the papers and in his e-mail kindly said:

"You are doing very important work with your website."

Thank you, Ed!

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Terrible news, 1boringoldman has closed his blog down -- doesn't want to deal with clueless comments.

Terrible news, 1boringoldman has closed his blog down -- doesn't want to deal with clueless comments.

I'm honestly shocked by this too Alto. Couldn't believe it when I read it. Mickey MUST come to his senses and realize his work is just too important for it to all end this way. Terrible :(

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

• Administrator

Post and tell him, cine. We can't lose him.

Post and tell him, cine. We can't lose him.

He is back after several people pleaded with him.

Comments will be moderated which in this case is a good thing.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I'd like to nominate Richard Bental - he's a UK psychologist whose written a book highly critical of the use of drugs to treat serious psychiatric disorders - called Doctoring the Mind: Is our treatment of mental illness really any good?

He doesn't have his own blog but I have found a guest blog by him here:-

Psychiatry's failed paradigm

and there's an interview with him here

Also worth a look, though not a regular commentator on mental health or SSRIs, Ben Goldacre is a Doctor working for the NHS who has for sometime written a blog called Bad Science which criticises flaws in the ways in which science is presented by both the media and scientific journals; he has a go at Big Pharma a lot (he's really not very keen on homoeopaths either) but one key target on occasions has been SSRIs. The blog has a search so you can search out the SSRI related posts but a few key ones are:-

Washing the numbers, selling the model

A quick fix would stop drug companies bending the truth

When journalists do primary research

Citalopram for 6 months

Since then tapering off over last 4 months

20mg -> 15mg -> 10mg -> 5mg (roughly every 3-4 weeks)

Stayed at 2.5mg for approx 6 weeks

As of 9 Sept 2011 off citalopram

• 1 year later...

Did someone already list Dr. David Healy? I can't find him here, so here's his link:

http://davidhealy.org/blog/

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Did someone already list Dr. David Healy? I can't find him here, so here's his link:

http://davidhealy.org/blog/

Oh my goodness... LOL. Did you enter Healy in the search box in the upper right hand corner of this screen? Just put his last name in.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap! The Boring Old Man blog is anything BUT boring! And it's smoking hot right now, January 3. Spielmans, Juriedini, Healy and Purssey got their letter published in JAMA Psychiatry... and Gibbons et al are grasping at straws trying to defend themselves.

I am gonna give this URL to EVERY therapist at our clinic. Because there are a lot of very bright, rowdy, bad-ass activists in clinical practice who are gonna be very, very interested in this.

Because, brothers and sisters, EVERY TIME principled, well-informed, carefully researched objections to the use of SSRIs are published, it protects the licenses of therapists who choose not to make psych referrals for routine, garden variety depression, or to refer to psychiatrists who use SSRIs sparingly or not at all. It encourages healthy skepticism, following our conscience, and putting our clients first.

Who is this guy? He's a genius... I just got back from a session with my own shrink, and I was paraphrasing a lot of what was on his blog. And my shrink (who's in his 80s and a psychoanalyst) is telling me, "Oh, yeah. Everything went to hell with the DSM III, that's when it all started." (Meaning the shift to "evidence-based" practice, the shift to treating symptoms without looking at etiology, etc.)

Thanks so much for posting this. Very grateful. I'm off to Facebook to raise a little hell... and back at the clinic next week to raise a little more.

1997 -- Started Lorazepam, 1 to 1.5 mg. 2-4x per week, had been drinking 4 + drinks per day + recreational cannabis

2002 -- Started Paxil, 10 mg 1x per day for only 23 days.  Blunted affect, depersonalization, odd abrasive feeling like bad LSD

2002 -- Stopped Paxil cold turkey, onset of PSSD almost immediately.  Partner noticed no change, function was ok, but the most important dimension of arousal was absent.  No sense of connection, utter misery.

2004 / 2005 -- Ativan increases in frequency to 1x per day, Started Ambien 1x per night after first DVT, dx changed from Lups to MCTD

2008-- Started hydrocondone & APAP 5mg x 500 x2 per day, though 4 days out of 45 I would take x3 per day

2010 -- Started group therapy with classmates, PSSD resolved completely & permanently in 1 session

2011 -- Resumed drinking about 3-4 drinks per night.

2013 -- Took Flagyl (metronidazole) with alcohol, had a near-psychotic break, uncontrollable rumination. 
2014 -- Started AA, stopped drinking and all recreation drugs.  End of the nightmare.  Continued Lorazepam.

2016 -- GP forced taper of opiates, psychiatrist disputed, negotiated compromise Norco 5mg/500 x2 5x /week.  No withdrawal.

2023 -- No changes, still 1 to 1.3 mg. Ativan per day, stopped Ambien, no other psych meds, no alcohol or recreational drugs. 

• Administrator

Wow! Running over to 1boringoldman.com....

Dr. Mickey is a retired Emory psychiatrist-administrator.

Thanks, Allo'! Mickey seems like a very sharp guy. I saw you over there... I'm hammering on some case management stuff right now, but hope to back over there again soon.

Regrettably, very few of my clinician friends picked up on the link I posted on FB. Ah, well. Will keep trying... discussed a little of this in a supervision group at the clinic, and it will probably come up at my other training site as well.

1997 -- Started Lorazepam, 1 to 1.5 mg. 2-4x per week, had been drinking 4 + drinks per day + recreational cannabis

2002 -- Started Paxil, 10 mg 1x per day for only 23 days.  Blunted affect, depersonalization, odd abrasive feeling like bad LSD

2002 -- Stopped Paxil cold turkey, onset of PSSD almost immediately.  Partner noticed no change, function was ok, but the most important dimension of arousal was absent.  No sense of connection, utter misery.

2004 / 2005 -- Ativan increases in frequency to 1x per day, Started Ambien 1x per night after first DVT, dx changed from Lups to MCTD

2008-- Started hydrocondone & APAP 5mg x 500 x2 per day, though 4 days out of 45 I would take x3 per day

2010 -- Started group therapy with classmates, PSSD resolved completely & permanently in 1 session

2011 -- Resumed drinking about 3-4 drinks per night.

2013 -- Took Flagyl (metronidazole) with alcohol, had a near-psychotic break, uncontrollable rumination. 
2014 -- Started AA, stopped drinking and all recreation drugs.  End of the nightmare.  Continued Lorazepam.

2016 -- GP forced taper of opiates, psychiatrist disputed, negotiated compromise Norco 5mg/500 x2 5x /week.  No withdrawal.

2023 -- No changes, still 1 to 1.3 mg. Ativan per day, stopped Ambien, no other psych meds, no alcohol or recreational drugs. 

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add the whole Mad in America site. www.madinamerica.com

Have been on Seroquel XR from 2008. Dosages have fluctuated quite a bit. Rough guess: I've been on 250-300-350-400-450-500 mg from 2009-summer 2012. Started tapering july 2012 with cuts of 50 mg. By then I had been on 450 mg for a while. October 2012: 200 mg. Due to flu-like WD reinstated to 250 mg nov 12th.

• 3 months later...

I came across the lastpsychiatrist blog and read a sem-interesting piece. The piece perhaps is even fully interesting, but I was too muddled in the head to understand all of it. I could tell enough to know it was interesting to some degree.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Dr. Last is always sort of obscure.

I didn't know this, but Dr. Breggin has a blog on Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter-breggin/

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 1 year later...

Not only sometimes a critic he has comments on Healey... but also a shrink... 

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/10/if_psychiatry_is_committing_su.html

In this post he makes comments of kids being drugged... the causes of over medication... and the fixes... it hit home to the point I may just have to post it in media too so people don't miss it. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/10/if_psychiatry_is_committing_su.html

Takes a look at Dr Healey is it y or ey ... don't care just now and hope you don't.

Just a bit of what he has to day.

"If you are convinced that SSRIs don't work and antipsychotics are dangerous and meds are all prescribed off label, conduct for yourself a little experiment: tell a Medicaid patient you're not medicating him.  I'll be in the chopper, where apparently it is safe.

I've said this before and I will repeat it here, you can blame the overuse of medication on anything you want and you will all be completely wrong, the most important reason a medication was used is that the patient showed up, and they showed up because that's where the state told them to go.  In 100% of the cases when a psychiatrist in urban camo tells me he doesn't use antipsychotics or stimulants, I know that all of his prescriptions say "Xanax" and "#120".  And I don't fault him, how could I?  It works for what it's for, and what it's for is not punching your girlfriend in the face, which is the same reason other guys use Abilify or Zyprexa or whatever.  When I graduated from residency I used to look down on the benzo docs because I was an arrogant animal, I had a retiring Puerto Rican psychiatrist tell me that back in PR they used Xanax 2 TID as an antipsychotic "and it worked very well", and I thought, madre dios, this man is a lunatic, how did he get across the border?  And now I'm not so sure they didn't have it right all along.  Or maybe I need a benzo, I don't know.  Jesus Christ, I need a nap.

I'm happy to point out flaws in clinical trials and studies, it's fun and easy but it is ultimately pointless, no one cares, no one listens, I have a blog full of them and it couldn't be less relevant to anyone.  Psychiatry isn't committing professional suicide, Dr. Healy, fear not: the government needs its unarmed security services, now more than ever, and it will get them at cut rate prices because no one can argue that following the next step in a flowchart is worth anything more than a pat on the back.  On the other hand, I get that they have a lot of antipsychotics in Washington DC, but do you know what they don't have a lot of in Washington DC?  Riots.   I guess it all worked out, I have no idea how but you can't argue with results, ask the Athenians and Madridians if their system worked better.  I once had a patient with no pathology whatsoever try to kill me, the gigantic irony of it being that if he had succeeded, who would they have blamed?  Me-- for undermedicating him!  And God bless Dr. Anderson, I don't think it'll help but at least he's trying despite the criticism, at least he's willing to admit that though the whole thing is a carny act he's still the one saddled with the responsibility. 

But to the government employees in academia, you cannot assume something is inappropriate if you have no idea about what is appropriate.  And to the government employees in government, you get what you pay for.   No one is saying that there isn't suffering all over the place, but that's different than a psychiatric pathology.   If 70% of the patients are not truly ill, then the sick ones are only getting 30% of the attention, do you see?  If the majority of Medicaid patients aren't real patients, then why would you expect them to get real treatments?"

There is an awareness here I don't see in many places I find it extremely refreshing. This is just one bit of this linked blog entry I have not read the comments yet but they are generally at least as interesting as his posts.  I especially like the comments by resident shrinks asking him how to manage this job if indeed all he has to say is true... provocative but more importantly to me correct. IMHO

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I would add kellybroganmd.com. She doesn't spend a lot of time criticizing psychiatry because she's busy looking for better solutions. The only certified pdoc I know of who does not initiate ADs ( she has patients already on them decide what they want to do). But I wonder if she works with the "serious mental illness" patients. I learned the importance of that term when my insurance kept paying, paying, paying for psychotherapy.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 1 month later...

I really like this link:

http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/08/ssri-discontinuation-is-even-more-problematic-than-acknowledged/

Shipko gets it.  He does imply that withdrawal is going to happen no matter what.  Tapering will allow you parachute into enemy territory vs crash landing there.  Either way it will suck.  Particularly critical of SSRIs.  

What I find interesting is that the sufferers of this are still in a minority.  Both my brothers rapidly stopped ADs and had no ill effects.  My youngest brother stopped Effexor cold turkey.  He complained of bad depression for a week or so and then said he was happier off the drug.  Go figure.

2013 Jan-Mar (12 weeks) Cymbalta 60mg (way too activating)2013 Apr-May (8 weeks) Pristiq 50mg (partial response)2013 Jun-Aug (12 weeks) Lexapro (can't remember dose); caused muscle and joint painSep 13 to Jan 14 (20 weeks) Back to Prsitiq, muscle pain subsides but drug not working2014 Feb - Mar (8 weeks) Celexa 10mg (not even therapeutic dose), killed all depression and anxiety within 1 week but severe pain started within 5 days in back and lower extremities.2014 April (4 weeks) Effexor, worked like Celexa seamless transition, pain continuesThere was some Gabapentin, Buspar, Propranalol tossed there from time to time as well that did nothing.<p>Switched to Cymbalta 30mg on April 17. Dr directed stop on May 7th. I went down to 15mg within a week and felt OK, then to 10mg for 5 days and stopped.

Current Meds: 5-10mg Ambien, 1.5MG Xanax XR in 3 divided doses of .5MG each.  25mg Seroquel as a rescue drug for sleep.

Supplements:  Fish Oil, combination of Theratears Nutrition (designed for dry eye and is recommend by my ophthalmologist) and Arctic Pure.  Total EPA and DHA are 1540mg spilt between AM and PM.  NutNCology Magnesium Citrate, 170mg in the evening.  Twinlabs B-12 sublingual Dots, 500mcg (AM).

• Administrator

Dr. Shipko misspoke in that article. See our discussions about it http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4787-mia-blog-entry-by-dr-shipko-on-wd/

Withdrawal absolutely does NOT occur no matter what.

He is talking about a very small minority of people who go off drugs, but failed to make that clear.

(I knew that article by Shipko would cause a lot of problems, and I was right. I've had to counter this over and over again. This is very frustrating to me.)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I have not thoroughly read this man's blog, however, on the surface of things it appears he's critical of the current biological paradigm:

http://www.robertberezin.com/about/#.U8zDf7H3LIU

Having said that I don't know what his actual practices are like, if he knows anything practical about withdrawal (criticism of psych drugs does not necessarily equal the ability to taper someone off them properly) or if his theories to counter the bio paradigm are valid or not.  Nonetheless this bit about him looks promising:

For many years I have been troubled by the rapid and tragic degeneration of my field. Contemporary psychiatry has fallen under the sway of biological psychiatry, where patients no longer receive proper care. Today’s commonly held and misguided belief is that human suffering is a brain problem. And the cure for human pain has been reduced to a pill, as if pharmaceuticals address the agency of human suffering. Human struggle is not now, nor ever has been a brain problem. It is a human problem, pure and simple. Psychotherapy has become a lost practice.

Recently, there has been a growing number of critiques about pharmaceutical psychiatry’s corrupt and destructive practices. I address these issues with a constructive presentation of an alternative understanding and practice, which I put into book form, The Psychotherapy of Character, The Play of Consciousness in the Theater of the Brain, written as a narrative.

• 3 months later...

I would like to second Dr. Kelly Brogan!  She is truly one of my heroes.  She has been outspoken in the field of reproductive psychiatry and has transformed her practice into a holistic non-pharmaceutical approach to treating women during pregnancy and postpartum period.  

Her personal story is very inspiring, as she describes her fall from modern psychiatry, the alienation from her colleagues, and discovering her own power by healing herself of a thyroid disorder she had after childbirth.  

http://kellybroganmd.com/blog/

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

Oh yes, effexor, oh yes..... keep telling em, eventually they listen, strange that. They will never admit they are listening though, we just have to keep trying, or just dont see em at all.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

Facebook befriend or just read timeline John Read. brilliant He is UK, but has lectured in NZ, hope he lectures in Australia. Psychologist.

Also have a reference to an article, could I just copy and paste it here in full? Called the medicating of america, or something, only two pages long. Or the medicating of inventiveness, but I have it on my computer, could find it, is quite recently published. Trying to remember with my fuddle brain. The dumbing down of America or something. To do with medicating people who are bright and clever as kids, very well written.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

• Mentor

thanks btdt....... 

I once had a patient with no pathology whatsoever try to kill me, the gigantic irony of it being that if he had succeeded, who would they have blamed?  Me-- for undermedicating him! 

My comment. This stuff stays in your brain, so they show up on no meds called crazy...crazy. Anyhow :

ie My dear Dr Booth, Western Australia. Was so kind and generous as a private psychiatrist, taking on the "poor" ie he bulk billed. Because basically, my sister had private, I didn't. He was so thrilled, I had travelled 450 km just to see him, wonderful........I took his stuff, three months later went manic, had a seizure (I had survived until 35 years of age, until then, no medical problems). So now, with such fear in my heart, was told the mania and the seizures were "underlying conditions".. oh damn, I didnt know that.

Problem being he put me on other stuff, I gave up when I became pregnant, as a male, he thought all my problems were over, not so simple. Four months afterthe baby, severe withdrawals, gp gave me a valium, psychosis in waves over three days... my poor gp telephoned this man, as I kept saying, during all my madness, ring Dr Booth. He rang Dr Booth, his advice? Send her to Graylands (a public mental institution 450 km away). (basically she is obviously mad?).

I eventually had to go back to see Dr Booth, suffering the PTSD and severe WD after 3 weeks in Graylands, uppers and downers, nearly got killed on this **** many times... I survived, ... Dr Booth was so horrified that they hadn't put me "back on drugs", and was also so astounded at how mentally well I was, despite the severe and horrific WD.... He was arrogant enough to tell me he had a patient, calling him from the street, at his house/// what did he do? Sent him to a public mental health institution. ie Was the illness, not the drugs. Arrogance? Yes. This man bolted long ago.. this Dr Booth.

Lets hope they all realize they will get sued... as Dr Booth was under that threat. He had so many court issues. I do believe effexor is being used in a class action for sufferers in the USA. I know it is an antidepressant, that is the worst one I know, and I been on lots.

So although a psych said he had someone presenting.... on nothing, that was me at a public hospital, totally off the planet, damn 14 months after giving up antidepressents. They gave me a valium, then madness... the original psych? Nah not my problem she is obviously crazy.

I am going to see this original gp, who knew me personally before all this mind bending ****. The one who did as I asked, contacted Dr Booth, and was horrified by the reply from dear DR Booth. It will be a stressful visit, but I am looking forward to it.

• Mentor

Someone in Western Australia murdered a lady, raped her in sand dunes, and murdered her. Yes he was going through WD. so was it the drugs? or withdrawing from the drugs? We all know what the drug companies would say.......

You said that Washington doesn't have riots, lets say, it is only a matter of time. Ying and Yang. Eventually these drugs dont work, people get worse. And coming off them is worse than anything ever experience before going on them.

The medicated world, doesnt work

China has no riots either, no guns, no murders, no psychiatrists either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

The Carlat Psychiatry Blog http://carlatpsychiatry.blogspot.com/ Dr. Daniel Carlat is a prominent psychiatrist who publishes prolifically. He is unrelenting in his criticisms of psychiatry's conflicts of interest and symbiosis with the pharmaceutical industry.

He permits a wide range of views in comments on his blog.

Aside from his practice in Newburyport, MA, he derives his own income from a paid monthly newsletter, The Carlat Psychiatry Report, in which he advises doctors about how to use psych drugs. He is, therefore, conflicted in that he strongly believes in the value of psychiatric medications used widely but "properly," and unable to see how his own practice is compromised by bad research and lack of knowledge about adverse effects.

His biography is here http://www.danielcarlat.com/dcarlat-bio.htm

The Last Psychiatrist http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/ If you can get beyond the advertising on his blog, he has interesting things to say about a lot of things, such as http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2009/09/are_there_really_so_many_peopl.html#more I've corresponded with him and he acknowledges antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. He also agrees with me that Nardil withdrawal syndrome may have driven David Foster Wallace to suicide, and psych drug reactions were involved in the deaths of Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson (both of whom suffered from intractable insomnia).

Thought Broadcast http://thoughtbroadcast.com Dr. Steve Balt, psychiatrist, practices in San Rafael, California, in a semi-holistic manner. He does not always prescribe drugs.

Feel free to add others here.

I just wanted to say well done ....  Now I try and research anything on the web, to find out about giving up antidepressants, and all of them tell us sufferers to go to  the site  surviving antidepressants.   I just think that is absolutely amazing, and well done!  All the other sites are run, I think by drug information places, drug companies, the pathetic leaflets that they dont even put in the packets anymore.  You have done so well, thankyou...  I hope I will survive, but if I dont, well done!!!  For trying.  

• 2 months later...
  • Mentor

• 2 months later...

for me it's a little bit sad article to read

06/2012 - 02/2015 CIPRALEX 10 mg (for somatic abdominal pain + reflux) - prior to this NOT any significant episode of anxiety/depression

on medication: emotional-sexual numbness, total inability to cry, +8 kg, fatigue -> abdominal pain gone

02/2015 - 1/04/2015 tapering from 10 mg to 0 mg doctor advised

05/05/2015 huge anxiety, burning skin sensation, panic, fear, not able to cry again, never-had-before insomnia, totally lost appetite, little loss of vision in one eye, sweating, chest pain, short breath, restlessness, accelerated heartbeat, mild akathisia legs-feet

30/05/2015 reinstated 8mg (I was suggested 5 mg here)

middle 07/2015 general improving

10/2015 start disastrous too long taper 7mg  11/2015 6mg  12/2015 5mg 1/2016 4mg  2/2016 4mg  3/2016 3mg ->FAIL back to 4mg .... 8/2016 3mg 8/2017 2mg  (short wave in summer '17) 8/2018 2mg stable  8/2019 1mg  1/2020 0.6 mg 

1/APRIL/2020 0mg FREE!

7/2020 - 10/2020 MILD WAVE(mostly anxiety, poor sleep)

6/2021 - 9/2021 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, deep depression, internal restlessness, anhedonia)  0.125g triazolam  2 times

18/03/2022 WAVE (anxiety, severe insomnia, total loss of appetite, PAIN in muscles and nerves, arms and right leg,cannot exercise,hard to walk) 0.125g triazolam 3 times

7/5 rein 0.1mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy