SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Chest pain and stabbing pain in the heart

solida

Hello,

chest pain I still have on and off,but now I also have a stabbing pain in may heart.I will go to the doctor anyway,but I would like to know if anybody had this spasms in the heart region???

solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hey Solida,

when does the pain occur? Randomly or is it maybe connected to movement?

Pain around the heart does not necessarily have to come from the heart.

I have a lot of pain in my left chest, but it comes from my back and breast muscles.

Not enough sports and sitting in front of the computer all the time.

But it is of course better to have it checked.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Solida,

Definitely have it checked out! I went through some chest aches and heart pain when I stopped taking Inderol (sp). It is a Beta blocker.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

Yes, I had this and it scared me. I had it along with a weird involuntary inbreath that was like a "lung jerk". I definitely had "heart jerks" and it freaked me out, so I got a muscle relaxer from my doctor and it helped. I'm now over that and not taking the muscle relaxer. But definitely get it checked like you say, as I'm sure you will. I know it's scary. But just so you know, I did it a lot and I lived! So many times I thought I wasn't going to be waking up in the morning.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Hi ,

I have just come back from the cardiologist-there is nothing wrong with my heart -puh!!!

But the pain is still there-no matter if I walk or sit.

He also said that it could come from the back.I really have a lot of tension everywhere in my body but never have experienced this kind of pain in the heart.

So I will wait for a while and might go to an orthopedist.

solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Glad to hear your heart is fine :)

Try to do some relaxation technics/work outs, if you can. Maybe that will give you some relief.

I am dealing with the same "****" right now as I cannot do any sport, yet.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Maybe some deep breathing exercises? That has really helped me in the area of my lungs and heart.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 3 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I had a bout of this in January.  Chest pain, pounding heart.  I thought it was a heart attack - but my pulse was only 110, and my blood pressure normal.  I got a work up, they just said "heart fine," but I could see them laughing behind their hands saying, "she's just out of shape."  (treadmill test).  Guess they never heard of adrenal fatigue or chronic fatigue.....

After a few months of hindsight, it was determined that the licorice I was taking for my adrenal gland may have starved my system of potassium, and caused the "palpitations" or whatever they were.  If licorice could do it, surely withdrawal and rebuilding a new brain could deplete potassium, too.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 year later...

Im hving an awful time. Pain hit middle of my chest 8am on the 16th of sept.

Called dial a doc - they said hosptial. Went to hosptial. They tried to drug me. I said i would take medications if needed to treat a problem but would not take pain meds since you cant find a problem.

Pain still bad went to gp. She said its muscular and gave me pain drugs, despite me saying i did not want pain drugs and in my opnion was not muscular pain as the chiro was my first port of call. He cant fix lungs...

Pain got too much. I took the gp's stupid drugs. I got stupidly sick. Pooped the bed, the lot.

Called dial a doc they say go to hospital. Hospital can only help if i want pain drugs and I do not!

I begged for help, eventually decided to take 1mg clonazepam as that has the least side effexts for me and at this stage I am panicing. I took it 2 hours ago. I am slightly sleepy- definitelty no effect on the pain. I do feel calmer but scared of how I will handle the come down ans if this chest pain doesnt leave in the night - what to do next?

Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.

May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg

Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.

Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016

Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone experienced chest pains during Prozac withdrawal?  I started feeling chest pains a couple of days ago.  I am not exactly sure if it is pain or tightness.  I have never experienced this before. 

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Yes, I have recently experienced a lot of chest pain and upper body pain and I am on Lexapro. These came on during a wave and have since subsided.

It's caused by tension in the upper body as I know I don't have a heart problem.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Junglechicken -

I am still having the pain, but I think it is more of a muscle tightness.  It hasn't been as bad over the past couple of days but it is still noticeable. 

Did you find anything that helped relieve the tightness?

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Hi O2bhappy,

The muscle tightness across the chest area is a classic WD symptom. 

Basically, its too easy for us to become very tense (including shallow breathing), in most parts of our body due to the nature of our condition.

Ideally, we should be having regular massage or osteo sessions to help ease the tight muscles.  Equally, swimming is very good as it opens up the chest muscles when you do breast stroke, or just do stretches and practise breathing deeply and rhythmically.

Unless your doctor/nurse has flagged up a heart condition, then 9/10 its just muscle tightness.  Nevertheless, it can still feel very scary and takes practise giving ourselves the necessary self-talk that its actually nothing to worry about.

Hang in there,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

JungleChicken -

It amazes me how many withdrawal symptoms are common.  I had no clue muscle tightness was a classic withdrawal symptom.  Thank you for letting me know.  I have been doing mediation and deep breathing exercises.  Not sure it is helping but I will continue. 

I do not believe that I have a heart condition.  I had a physical in June and every thing was good. I will chalk it up to another wonderful w/d symptom. 

I will also remind myself that it is withdrawal so I don't make myself more tense. 

Oh yes, muscle tightness is one of our worst enemies.......many people here will tell you that.

Anxiety = Tension = Pain

Also too much Cortisol (stress hormone), and adrenaline can play havoc with our bodies making us feel all kinds of unpleasant symptoms.

Major Life Events: 

Junglechicken -

I would say I have way too much Cortisol and adrenaline.  I am sure both of those add to the constant anxiety that I am experiencing and adding to the chest tightness.  Do you know what helps with Cortisol and adrenaline?

My p-doc strongly advised me to increase my daily exercise to counteract the excess cortisol in my body which was causing the body pains (and other symptoms) to ramp up.

In the old days I did a LOT of running to reduce my stress levels. Then I got hit with WD and have only kept up walking. My therapist has recently told me that it would be a good idea to take up yoga to help with my breathing and overall well being. This I need to do something about.

I am not sure about the answer to the adrenaline question.

In my own situation, I am trapped in a viscous circle of unpleasant physical symptoms, and am trying to get the "skills" to get myself out of it before I end up giving myself permanent ill health.

Major Life Events: 

Junglechicken -

I am sure that I would benefit from exercising.  I have an exercise bike and I should start riding it everyday.  I was also walking in the fall but haven't walked in weeks, guess I need to start walking again,   Did you find that exercise helped you?  My therapist also suggested yoga.  Guess I should take my therapist advice and give that a try.

I think it is a great idea to have skills to learn how to deal with withdrawal.  I am also learning skills but sometimes find it hard to implement them.  I have been doing mediation but not on a consistent level.  I am sure I could benefit from doing it everyday. 

Junglechicken -

I am sure that I would benefit from exercising.  I have an exercise bike and I should start riding it everyday.  I was also walking in the fall but haven't walked in weeks, guess I need to start walking again,   Did you find that exercise helped you?  My therapist also suggested yoga.  Guess I should take my therapist advice and give that a try.

I think it is a great idea to have skills to learn how to deal with withdrawal.  I am also learning skills but sometimes find it hard to implement them.  I have been doing mediation but not on a consistent level.  I am sure I could benefit from doing it everyday. 

Keep us posted O2bhappy. 

I can tell you, its going to be an adjustment for me to do yoga, lol.  This is because I have always identified with being a runner, but sometimes we just have to get on with it and do something else.

Major Life Events: 

Junglechicken -

I will keep you posted.  I think I am going to start practicing mediation everyday and then I will move to yoga. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have also had chest pain, sometimes slight, sometimes constant, and sometimes it's not there. It's incredibly scary and that just ramps up the anxiety.

For both of these symptoms I have been using a rice sock (similar to a hot water bottle) and drinking hot tea. Sometimes it eases the pain or makes it easier to sleep, even if I have to sleep with the rice sock.

Doing anything physical for me seems to make it worse, but I'm early into withdrawing, so if you can then definitely do it.

Has anyone tried magnesium lotion on the chest? I was reading in the magnesium forum on this site and many seem to benefit from the pain of tight neck muscles or other pains. If this symptom is relieved I feel it would help many.

- 2010 Fluoxetine 20mg (no issues, did well)
- Mid 2012 Switched to Celexa 20mg (no issues with switch)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month to almost half each pill

- 2/3/17 taper Buspirone 2.5mg twice daily (did fine, listened to body), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month

* Aromatherapy 100% oils in diffuser every night *

* Morning stretching routine every day *

Junglechicken -

I have been trying to meditate everyday.  I have noticed that I am breathing more with my belly then my chest.  I think it might be helping with the tightest in my chest.  I am sure some of the tightest that I have been experiencing is probably from the stress of withdrawal. 

Junglechicken -

I have been trying to meditate everyday.  I have noticed that I am breathing more with my belly then my chest.  I think it might be helping with the tightest in my chest.  I am sure some of the tightest that I have been experiencing is probably from the stress of withdrawal.

That's good news!

My therapist said to me that we are "made of muscle", and being perpetually tense, traps us in a viscous cycle of pain. That pain can exist anywhere in our bodies......hence "The Pain Body".

Major Life Events: 

Junglechicken -

I would say that being in withdrawal does cause our bodies to be perpetually tense. 

I am going to continue with the meditation and see if it continues to help.  I will keep you posted.

Junglechicken -

I would say that being in withdrawal does cause our bodies to be perpetually tense. 

I am going to continue with the meditation and see if it continues to help.  I will keep you posted.

Yes, WD does keep us in pain, or more likely the anxiety that goes with it due to the sudden onset of multiple symptoms.

I should be meditating myself by doing the "body scan".....this was great for focusing the mind and "pulling it back" to the present.

Major Life Events: 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I had another bout of chest pain this week.

This time it was digestive.  It was a hard call to decide whether or not to get it checked out.  Most heart attacks in women is misdiagnosed as reflux.

My acupuncturist was sure that digestion was my issue.  I agreed, in that the chest pain was on the right side - it started with some vegetarian falafels that didn't quite feel like food, and left me with the feeling of a lump in my esophagus that lasted for days - like it had bruised me.

It cleared up with the acupuncture - I started burping (and farting) and that relieved the pressure.

Then came back.  Yesterday I did my weightlifting, and shifting my chest muscles around did good things, and moved it on.

The heart thing is scary - when it doubt, check it out.

As a doctor said to me last week:  you only have one heart.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

JC,

I'm wondering when my GP will ask us to go for annual physicals; we had them in Canada, but I'm not sure what the score is here.

Since the whole WD thing blew up, I've been fastidious about getting "checked out"; although me current GP is wise to the fact I suffer from health anxiety so won't do tests at the drop of a hat.

I mean I just had to request my own bloodwork!  Even then, I'm not sure whether it would be considered ad hoc, or an annual thing.

GI issues can feel very serious, and I had pain in the upper body for a few months last year.....I no longer get it and it correlates with acid reflux - which haven't had in a couple of months...since my diet change.

JC (#2)

Major Life Events: 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Chest pain and stabbing pain in the heart
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone had chest pains as a symptoms of WD? I have been experiencing them since reinstating Nortriptyline (after a 10 day cold turkey mishap) on Nov 2nd. I have had many cardiac tests and everything has come back normal. The pain is mostly on my left side and often hurts when I breathe. Of course Dr.’s attribute the chest pain to anxiety which I believed in the beginning but now I am pretty apethic when it comes to my WD symptoms and the chest pains will come on when I am not stressed. They also put me on Prilosec in Nov but this does not feel like it is reflux. Sometimes the pain in positional (like when I lay on my back).  Interestingly enough when I first started taking Nortriptyline a year ago I noticed these same sort of chest pains when I first increased my dosage from 10mg to 20mg. They went away in about a month and I never thought about it again. Do you think these are symptoms of WD or side effects and I should taper faster? Still do not feel stable on my current dose of 19mg. 

Started 20mg Nortriptyline Nov. 2017. Stopped cold turkey (oops) on October 18th, 2018. Experienced crazy withdrawal and went back to 20mg on November 2nd 2018. Withdrawal symptoms persisted. Got prescription compounded and started to taper on Dec. 31st 2018 to 19mg.  Dropped by 1 ml every 2-3 weeks. As of 2/14/19 down to 16mg. Symptoms have increased. 

• 2 years later...

Costochondritis worsened

Hello,

Have costochondritis but lately it has become even more painful. Could this be heightened sensitivity during tapering. I am microtapering trazadone down  to approx 16mgs?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

1990 - 1999 Prothiaden antidepressant.  

Nothing after that until this year.

3/3/21  prescibed Trazodone 50 mg  for anxiety. Prescribed Xanax but rarely take it.

No other medication.

Took 50mgs for 2months until May 21. Such a short time!!!

Gradual Cut to 35mgs approx during June/ July. Too quick I now realise.

Symptoms have been severe  brain fog, tinnitus, unreal feelings,spaced out, tearfulness, agitation inside, moments of sheer and utter despair and what's the point of anything feeling so ill all the time!

Lost 10 kgms, no appetite at all.

Now 16/9/21 taking 18 mg approximately. Cutting by shaving off tablet. This latest cut was 1 week ago on 13th sept 21. Felt awful 3 days later but  feel stable now. Will stay on this for now.

• Moderator Emeritus

merged similar topics

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 10 months later...

Aches and pains

Was just wondering how many other people suffered or are suffering with tightness and pain in their chest and back. Including sides of lower back. 

Very uncomfortable. Feels very sore. 

Just wondered how common it is for others??

Edited by ChessieCat

2015- Jan 2021 20mg Citalapram

Jan 2021- April 2021 Sertraline (CT)

June 2021 - Fluoxetine & Trazadone

Oct 2021- Trazadone to Quitiapin 

Oct 2021 to June 2022 switches Duloxetine then paroxatine then Venlafaxine.

June 2022- venlafaxine for 5 or 6 weeks at 37.5 twice daily. Upped for one week to 75mg twice daily but caused panic attacks. Dropped back down to 37.5 twice daily. Panic attacks stopped. 

1 week- 62.5mg 1 week- 50mg 1 week- 37.5mg 1 week - 25mg 

ANTIDEPRESSANT FREE SINCE JULY 22ND 2022!! 

18/05/23 - 01-06/23 doxycycline for a rat bite 

Taken propranalol since 2015. 80mg.

21/11/22 76mg. 28/11/22 72mg. 05/12/22 68mg. 19/12/22 64mg. 27/12/22 60mg. 02/01/23 56mg. 09/01/23 50mg. 16/01/23 47mg. 23/01/23 44mg. 29/01/23 40mg. 05/02/23 38mg. 12/02/23 35mg. 19/02/23 32mg. 25/02/23 27mg. 04/03/23 25mg. 11/03/23 22mg. 17/03/23 19mg. 24/03/23 20mg. 05/04/23 18mg. 11/04/23 16mg. 17/04/23 14mg. 27/04/23 20mg. 19/06/23 19mg. 25/06/23 20mg. 04/08/23 18mg. 11/08/23 17mg. 16/08/23 16mg. 25/08/23 15mg. 01/09/23 14mg. 08/09/23 13mg. 15/08/23 12mg. 22/09/23 11mg. 29/09/23 10mg. 19/11/23 9mg. 26/11/23 8mg. 03/12/23 7mg. 10/12/23 6mg. 17/12/23 5mg. 24/12/23 4mg. 31/01/23 3mg. 07/01/24 2mg. 13/01/24 1mg. 19/01/24 0mg. DONE! 

• 1 month later...

Chest pain (tightness)

I’m 16 months into WD still going through the waves and windows but I’ve been doing a lot better and having a lot of “normal” times, however this week I started experiencing chest tightness and some pains that weren’t extreme but freaked me out!! Went to hospital and I’ve been checked and hearts been checked and lungs been checked and all said to be ok, I had a lot of tests and I was assured everything was fine. I’m now out the hospital at home and still have a lot of muscle pulled pain in my back ( which could be the exercises I just started again) but I still have this heavy feeling on my chest like a band if being pulled around me? 
I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this in WD? I think that would help calm me down as I’m obvious anxious about it x

Edited by ChessieCat

Sertraline 100mg (1 day) then 50mg for 8 weeks March 2020 - May 2020 bad reaction, no medications until October 2020 mirtazapine October 2020 until 7th July 2021 didn’t realise I was in sertraline WD during this time also started natural progesterone January 2021 and started supplements to reduce cortisol and oestrogen April 2021 also Metformin as has insulation resistance not sure if to still take this currently on no medications  

Muscle tension is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms. What can begin as an innocuous or normal ache/pain can quickly spiral out of control with the help of an anxious mind. As you’ve had your heart and lungs checked it’s likely you’re ok. You mention exercises, if you’ve started stretching muscles after a lot of inactivity they’re likely to ache. I had a lot of aches after doing stretching for my back, it went away after I stopped doing the exercises. You might find these useful:

Edited by Erimus

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• 3 weeks later...

Just recently started getting intermittent pains right where my heart is. It coincides with me also starting to get an intermittent churning feeling in my stomach and my appetite returning 🤷‍♂️
trying not to stress about the chest pain because my body feels tense in general and I know I’m getting anxious easily at the moment. Just watching to see what happens with it.

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy