fluorescent lights

Romido

I have been going through withdrawals from Sam-e that are identical to what many of you have experienced from rx antidepressants. While I have coped with many of the symptoms (thanks to Claire Weeks! And daily lurking on great sites like this) and others have thankfully given me some longer windows of relief, I am still significantly bothered by environments with flourescent lights. Unfortunately, I work in an office filled with them, and must do our grocery and big-box shopping in stores with this kind of light. It makes me a little dizzy and kind of wooshy drunk-headed feeling. I can be feeling relatively good that day but a trip to a store reminds me I am not better. Is there anything to make this go away? I am 20 weeks off the Sam-e and withdrawal has been horrific and lingering, but I sure could use some ideas on this part.

Friendly public service announcement - stay away from Sam-e, it causes bad withdrawals like the rest!! Never again!

• Administrator

Fluorescent lights are blue and they flicker, two things that can trigger reactions in hypersensitive people.

Suggest blue-blocking sunglasses, even indoors. Tell the people you work with you have a temporary condition resulting in sensitivity to light.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Interesting! I will pick up some blue blocking sunglasses and I may be able to just get a desk lamp with a regular bulb and skip my overhead lights in my office. Googling blue blocking glasses gives lots of references to blue blockers improving sleep and adhd as well. I am finally getting sleep in 5-6 hr stretches but perhaps that can tip me more to my normal pre-levels of easily 8hrs.

I will try and report back, great idea!

• Administrator

We have a lively topic on the subject here Light-sensitive? Try blocking out blue light

Also see More about how light stimulation affects our body clocks

Romido, your situation is very interesting, being that you got the same withdrawal symptoms from SAM-e, demonstrating that you don't want to mess with brain chemistry at all! When you have a chance, perhaps you can summarize in an Introductions topic for yourself -- these are case histories, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I will do that, thanks for the links. When I thought about light sensitivity, I wasn't thinking of "types" of light but that makes perfect sense.. I was thinking more of "brightness" like a hangover kind of sensitivity. I am also going to try the blue blocking thing on my kiddo who it seems has a touch of ADD which I see is helped by sleep.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy