Dena: Withdrawing from Celexa

dena

Hi I'm Dena

I am 6 months sober from heroin alcohol meth and really any other drug. I am 21 and have been on celeexa 40 Mg for depression and anxiety. 2 days ago my doctor said I could go from 40 to 20 and I am having a lot of anxiety muscle aches etc, today my sober roommate had a seizure and I am sure some of the anxiety could be from that as well but in the last 2 days I have had a strong urge and craving to do drugs, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this who is an addict alcoholic that is withdrawing from celexa

• Administrator

Hi, Dena. I moved your first post here to start your own Introductions topic.

Welcome to our community.

It does sound like you got withdrawal symptoms from that 50% reduction. This can upset your nervous system and your thinking in a lot of ways.

You might go up to 30mg to stop the withdrawal symptoms, stay there for a week, and reduce more gradually from there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi I'm Dena

I am 6 months sober from heroin alcohol meth and really any other drug. I am 21 and have been on celeexa 40 Mg for depression and anxiety. 2 days ago my doctor said I could go from 40 to 20 and I am having a lot of anxiety muscle aches etc, today my sober roommate had a seizure and I am sure some of the anxiety could be from that as well but in the last 2 days I have had a strong urge and craving to do drugs, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this who is an addict alcoholic that is withdrawing from celexa

Hello,

welcome, I am happy to see you here.

My last AD was celexa and I came off it pretty quickly so be very careful how you come off because you may end up in very bad shape. I came off 20mg in less than a week and a month before that I was on 30mg. I felt bad the first week then became stable. After a few months I hit bottom so just be careful. I think everyone's withdrawal can be different. Some go through hell the first few months then level out and some do great the first few months then hit bottom. I was at such a bad point this last week that I almost left everything behind and hit the streets to live homeless because I never want to touch another psych drug again. Thankfully I have found a few things that have helped, but no matter what, the nervous system is still quite sensitive and it is easy to break. I am sure that you can do it, though, because of your ability to get off other drugs. You should be very proud and hopefully we can support you here on your journey to wellness and recovery from antidepressants.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc