Precription Meds vs. Marijuanna

Shanti

Posted Image

I'm on a campaign to get everyone to try Marijuana instead of prescription psych meds. Also to legalize Marijuana. There are no deaths a year linked to Marijuana. In my opinion, the only reason it is considered a "Gateway Drug" is because of the fact that people are so lied to about how harmful it is. So then when a person tries it and realizes it's not harmful at all, they wonder if harder drugs are not harmful and simply a lie like Marijuana. If Marijuana were legal and recognized for it's safe, healing effects, we wouldn't have this problem.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Good point, Shanti!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Assumed safety is the most insidious danger.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't smoked any since my college days, but of the half dozen or so times I tried marijuana, I had a bad trip. Professor Jane Plant, who wrote Beating Stress, Anxiety & Depression, got her start down the road to psychiatric services by accepting a joint at a party.

Sorry, but the stuff is just too unpredictable. I can't imagine being able to function in a professional job while stoned, either. I was a CPA and insurance company examiner for the government before I retired and I couldn't possibly have done my work while under the influence.

I'm a lot more inclined to go for a healthy, drug-free lifestyle from here on out.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Marijuana is unpredictable. It hits many neurotransmitters, some as yet unidentified.

As a knowledgeable doctor told me, it causes neurological chaos.

On the other hand, it seems a heck of a lot safer than psychiatric medications, and genuinely helps many people in pain.

If it works for you, it works. Like everything else, don't overdo it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, it can be unpredictable if you don't do it right. Most people OD on it and have a bad experience. Alot of people around me smoked it, but I always turned it down because of the bad experiences I had on it. But then when I recently wanted to try it for pain management, I was told how to do it right, and now I can smoke it without it messing up my mental focus. You just smoke a little bit at a time, that's all it takes. No need to get all drugged up on it! Marijuana is natural and safe really. Well, I think the only danger is if you're prone to psychosis, it can bring it out. This is what happened in my experience first using it, as I am Schizophrenic. But even with being prone to paranoia and all that, I can now use it safely and without worry of unpredictable side effects. I would by far rather see young adults use this instead of anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications, and that's my point.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I haven't smoked pot since college. I think it is a either love it or hate it drug. I see no reason why it should be illegal, it doesn't seem to be addictive or cause crime like the streets drugs crack or heroin.

For me it was an unpleasurable experience. IMO if you have personal demons or unresolved psychological issues or an incredibly overly analytical mind as I did at the time it can bring incredibly intrusive negative thoughts. Same with any similar drug like mushrooms or LSD, which I experimented with in high school.

I envy those who find it relaxing and pleasurable.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

• Moderator Emeritus

As far as marijuana being legalized, I'm all for it, Shanti. I'd like to see all of the now illegal drugs legalized. I was a counselor for heroin and other addicts for over five years and most of the misery they experienced was from the illegal aspects of the drugs, such as having to steal, deal drugs, or be a prostitute to get drug money. Some of the street stuff wasn't exactly pharmaceutical grade either, and sometimes just made my clients very sick. A lot of the violence we associate with drug addicts happens among themselves as in fights over not paying the pusher. One of my favorite clients was beaten so badly in a fight with his supplier that he died a few days later.

In my opinion the US government spends far too much effort and money trying to keep people from harming themselves, and even the latter would be less likely if an addict were able to pop on over to the neighborhood Walgreen's and buy a fix at a reasonable price. The "War Against Drugs" is a farce, along with "sin" taxes on liquor and cigarettes.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

The War on Drugs is a farce because it was created under the Nixon environment as a measure of social control over hippies and yippies. Interestingly this same President created the EPA.

Cigarettes are an example of government hypocrisy - in NYC smoking in prohibited in most public places. If you are found smoking in your own car with children present a police officer can pull you over and write you a summons. But, the government happily taxes cigarettes so heavily that in the NYC area they are $12-$14 a pack.

Legalize drugs and you create a huge source of tax revenue. You wipe out gangs, drug cartels, the mafia as far as the drug trade. Not sure if the FDA could be trusted to oversee quality control.

While you are at legalize prostitution.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

I totally agree, legalize it all, including prostitution. It's all a big farce. I agree that Marijuana is a "hate it or love it" drug too. I still can't smoke much but what little I do, helps me a lot in many ways.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Not sure if the FDA could be trusted to oversee quality control.

LOL!!! Best laugh I've had in awhile! Thanks, Whatever.

The status in California is confusing. My understanding is that it is DECRIMINALIZED but not legalized. Physicians can 'Recommend' but not Prescribe or advise how to take (dose, frequency, etc.). There's also Marinol.

www.medicalmarijuana.procon.org has alot of info.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

This is a good video I watched yesterday that addresses a bit on the war on drugs and legalizing prostitution.

"The producer of Stupid in America, John Stossel, broadcasts another outstanding documentary "Illegal Everything" which shows how nearly everything is (or may soon be) illegal - including lemonade stands, raw milk, drugs, fast food, prostitution, recording police, and more."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuIahM4mB-8&sns=fb

My Paxil Website

My Intro