Edging back into work

alexjuice

I am curious about w/d and work.

I haven't been able to tolerate stress and have been unable to work. Since my parents are living and in good health, they have provided for me and paid medical expenses.

As grateful as I am, I also feel like a burden. I'd like to work but doubt that's realistic right now. I could apply for disability but I am not sure what I would list as my disability. And, from my understanding, it would take a long time to get a ruling on my case.

What criteria have the members of the forum used to determine if the time is right to look for a job or apply for disability assistance?

What have been the experiences of others?

Alex.I

Edited by surviving
clarified topic title

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

i could not work since two years, but hopefully am retired, so i do not know for disability and in France it maybe different

in your case i would try to slowly wean meds , you can see for disability in same time (you are not forced to say you taper)

working with meds will be very difficult

cheer up !

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

i could not work since two years, but hopefully am retired, so i do not know for disability and in France it maybe different

in your case i would try to slowly wean meds , you can see for disability in same time (you are not forced to say you taper)

working with meds will be very difficult

cheer up !

Thank you Stan.

Are you from France? I have traveled there in the past. I liked the Normandy region the best... for the cider, history and kind people.

Where in France do you live?

- Zimmerman

Thank you Stan.

Are you from France? I have traveled there in the past. I liked the Normandy region the best... for the cider, history and kind people.

Where in France do you live?

actually near Paris and lived in Alsace (east) 25 years, my wife was from Normandy(i am divorced)

since last 10 years, people are changing, many from north africa, china...and much unemployement, drugs dealers, poverty, violence, refugee...

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

What do you think about starting with a tiny bit of volunteer work....Pilgrim? :) It sounds like you have the urge, and this is a good way to start slow and find out what you like.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

actually near Paris and lived in Alsace (east) 25 years, my wife was from Normandy(i am divorced)

since last 10 years, people are changing, many from north africa, china...and much unemployement, drugs dealers, poverty, violence, refugee...

Paris is very beautiful. The whole world is changing. I am afraid that the economy troubles will continue but there is nothing I can do about that. I've been trying to stay within my circle of influence, that's what Stephen Covey calls it.

- Zimmerman

What do you think about starting with a tiny bit of volunteer work....Pilgrim? :) It sounds like you have the urge, and this is a good way to start slow and find out what you like.

Yes, that's a good idea. I actually have something that I was doing, a weekly volunteer at a nearby nursing home, that I could resume. I am currently on 'leave' as it is a volunteer job that is overseen by a state agency. I took leave until the end of April so I can return in a few weeks if I feel up to it.

Loved the Pilgrim comment!

I am too young to have been a John Wayne fan, but I'm going to tough this out and want everyone to know that I mean business. I wanted an image that spoke to my resolve. When I saw that on an avatar site, I grabbed it.

Alex.I

- Zimmerman

About 3 months after WD, I completely lost the ability to work. Luckily I live in the Netherlands and had a vast job, and got paid my salary for 3 years. Now after 3.5 years things are quite not over yet but I know recovery happens and I do some smaller projects now. But I know there must be people out there who are in the same debiliateid protracted WD and have no financial supply...I pray to the Universe for mercy on them...

It has helped me a little to realize that I was not underqualified for my work but every time got into problems due to WD attempts. After about 20 months I had a fisrt window and started to prepare for re-entry on the market. But is is a tedious road back, escpacially after CT.

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Ha ha! The Duke is a great goal to aim for in proceeding through this thing! He had style and humor, strength and wisdom.

Ya know, I was lying awake last night :rolleyes: and I thought of something you might want to just look into. I have no idea if it would be of interest to you, but, you mentioned dealing with bullying when you were a little kid, and there is this *great* public official in Texas -- Joel Burns, Fort Worth City Councilman. He is getting very involved in the President's something or other on bullying. I know you're in Austin, but maybe there's something of interest for you going on with that that you could get connected to. He's very cool.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Ha ha! The Duke is a great goal to aim for in proceeding through this thing! He had style and humor, strength and wisdom.

Ya know, I was lying awake last night :rolleyes: and I thought of something you might want to just look into. I have no idea if it would be of interest to you, but, you mentioned dealing with bullying when you were a little kid, and there is this *great* public official in Texas -- Joel Burns, Fort Worth City Councilman. He is getting very involved in the President's something or other on bullying. I know you're in Austin, but maybe there's something of interest for you going on with that that you could get connected to. He's very cool.

Living in Austin, I don't know much about the local politics of some of the other cities in Texas. So I've never heard of Joel Burns. I'll look him up for sure.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Part-time volunteer work is a great way to test your tolerance for work.

Try to do what you can, and cut back if it's too much. You may find you can gradually do more, and then you're on your way.

Getting out and doing things around other people can help your nervous system to recover, too.

How about something you can do in your neighborhood for pocket money? If you like animals, maybe petsitting when people are away, or dog walking? Walking with a friendly dog has double benefits.

PS Applying for disability -- the reason probably would be psychiatric. You need the strong backing of a doctor, who will have to fill out lots of papers.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

I signed up for three classes at the local community college.

I don't know how this will work out but I haven't seen a human being socially (so excluding docs, therapists, etc) for over seven months. Of course, I am excepting my brother, father and mother with whom I live.

I am hopeful that this is not too large a step too soon. I desire to be around other people more than I ever have in my life. It's so novel...before I was always too exhausted and disinterested and anxious.

Still having digestive problems and can't talk normally for but an hour or two a day.

Wish me luck, my friends.

Alex

ps -- Today was the 1st day. For the first time in my life I experienced the fear that school might be too 'hard' for me because of ongoing cog issues.

- Zimmerman

Ooh, classes are a great idea. And you could cut back to just one class if you needed to. Don't feel like you need to do three!

It's hard to know what you can do and can't do, and it's pretty personal. When I ended up taking this job in Toronto, which meant finishing a project I was totally stalled on, I forced myself to work. I had been working 0 to 2 hours a day, and I gradually ramped it up to 4 to 7 1/2 hours a day. Really anything beyond 4 leaves me exhausted, with a headache and sparks symptoms like dizziness, but in general I was amazed at how much more I was able to do than I thought. I have someone proofreading my work to help me, and I reserve the hardest parts for the morning, when I have more energy. (Though I often spend that energy here, I need to curb that!) I often have to stop, and I meditate for a half hour and then try to keep going. Obviously the longer I go the more likely I am to start making mistakes and such... Some days are more productive than others... In general I think I am doing better once I stepped up to the plate... at least as far as depression and mood go. I think sometimes the extra work makes my anxiety worse. Volunteer work and school seem like great ideas in that you can do only what you feel you can and take it slowly...

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

good luck alex !

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

""Today was the 1st day. For the first time in my life I experienced the fear that school might be too 'hard' for me because of ongoing cog issues.""

Alex, your fear is totally understandable but that doesn't mean you should withdraw.

Would cutting back to one class be a more realistic option? What type of cog issues are you having? Perhaps there are ways you can compensate for them?

It sounds like you are ready to take this step so hopefully, with some brainstorming, we all can figure out ways for you to make this happen.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy