occupyingmyhealthcare: Newbee here, day 13 since zoloft

occupyingmyhealthcare

Hard to navigate in places that I am familiar with much less new too. My anti depression Zoloft med had not been working for the past year.

I had always refused to go up in dose as I am a sensitive and did not trust this method of living nor my doctors competence, as he was just

an ordinary legal drug pusher with a Dr attached to his name. At any rate I got a notion to just stop taking the stuff 13 days ago. I had pondered

it, knowing soon my pusher was going to encourage that I change meds if I refused to raise the dose. This is the longest that I was on pharms (4) yrs. and

I am now 53 yrs old.I had gone off before and had virtually very low to no side affects. BUT THIS TIME ! wholly crappy. Forget if I am depressed or suicidal.

None of that because I am just trying to get through the hell of too many symptoms each day all day. Here is the list. Chronic intermittent pain aching in my hip joints and at the base of my spine really low at the coccyx bone, labored breathing,fatigue, headaches neck aches eye strain. Flu cold symptoms with a dry hack cough. Intermittent dizziness and some times bouts of restlessness. Difficulty with cognition and motors functions. Poor temperature regulation I go from chills to over heated and poor circulation to extremities (cold feet and hands) I have been in college and have looked into reducing my classes to 3/4 or 1/2 load. All this with drawl, I had no idea that this would be happening to me when I stopped 13 days ago. However turning back now is just non negotiable.

I am near graduation and my focus has been a multidisciplinary Bachelors; Psychology,Sociology with an emphasis in Sustainable Studies in Social Equity. While working on an literature review of "Why are we drugging Our Kids to death" by Evelyn Pringle and "The Drugging of Our Children" by Gary Null

I stumbled on this site. Whew, and timely. I live very rural,isolated,@ high altitude and mountainous. I just lost my best friend, my dog, in recent months to another epidemic in the cost of being a consumer in a de-regulated profits before people driven Industry. She was one of the first to die from tainted chicken strips.

Everything that I have come to know about, was beckoning me to abort the use of meds. I had also been on low dosage of klonapin. After experiencing an un-precedented withdrawl reactions and very briefly reading this site I have selected to take a dose of klonapin two nights over the past week to help me sleep better. Today was certainly an improvement and without sever ache and pains.

I cannot consult my doctor. I do have my routine annual blood-work to do ordered months ago from my primary care doctor and am open to anyone's suggestions as to what I may opt to add to that test. I have been trying alternatives and it does make very clear sense (as well as my personal experience) that vitamins, wholesome organic foods rich in vitamins,amino acids and minerals can help. I welcome any ones experience who has already gone through getting off these meds. and thank you from the bottom of my heart in advance. May the force be with us. Occupying my health care.

Hi OMHC, Welcome to the site. Don't worry, Alto will move this where it needs to be. I know it really sucks when you realize that your doctor can't be trusted to help you in such an awful time. I'm grateful for sites like this where there is a lot of knowledge and good advice on how to do this. I'm glad you found your way here too.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Yep, that was your introduction, Occupying, so I moved it here to the Introductions forum. This is your topic to update as you recover.

Welcome to our community.

If you quit Zoloft cold-turkey, I strongly suggest you take half a tablet right now. This should reduce your withdrawal symptoms. Continue taking half a tablet a day for a month to let your system settle down, then reduce very gradually -- see Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

If the withdrawal symptoms don't go away within a couple of days, you may wish to take the full dose again and, after a month, taper from there.

Withdrawal symptoms represent neurological distress -- your nervous system is the only one you have, please treat it gently.

You may have the opportunity to taper properly, please don't try to get through cold-turkey withdrawal without trying a do-over. Withdrawal symptoms can last a very long time.

(Is it okay if I correct the typo in your screen name?)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I just want to second what Alto says about going back on a half-dose and then tapering veeery slowly. I went off Zoloft cold turkey and I am now in my second year of dealing with withdrawal symptoms. I could have perhaps avoided them by tapering very slowly. I know you are anxious to get off the meds, but it's worth it to do it right to let your brain and body adjust gradually!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Thanks Alto and Silver. Yes can fix typos Alto. And I am considering your suggestion to taper and even more so since reading Silvers 2nd reply.While day 2 of not having severe pain, I am dizzy a lot and get real agitated easily. And it does not help that a snow storm came in again. I am a Calli kind of guy and used to be a daily jogger/runner. I always thought that I would be like those old guys in their 50's jogging in Golden Gate Park as I was born and raised in the San Francisco bay area. But I ended up making other choices and making enough money to afford to live the rest of my days in my city by the bay has not been in the equation. I love the nature around me but I hate the extreme long winters. My other 1/2 is not physical and suits her fine esp. having been a New York native but me, well at this point as I write. I am sure it is a very possible candidate to my external propagators of depression. Anybody want to add to external causes or changes they made to alleviate symptoms and if it helped, I welcome and thanks in advance.

ps I will most likely take a 1/2 dose tonight what the hey. Got to do what I can. Unraveling this mess will require many steps and that is a small one.

Oh and Nadia thank you I will take your suggestion to taper 1/2 off. I'd rather not be caught with more long term effects.

Well, what helped me most was homeopathy and affirmations. I think the affirmations helped big time as it really lifted my consciousness out of the pits. I don't do them as much now, but when I am in rough patches, I will do affirmations for 1/2 hour or more to lift myself. It's sort of like rearranging my consciousness. I'm not getting feedback about others trying homeopathy so I can't say if it works for others like it does me. It helped me tremendously. I did see one lady on another forum post that when she contacted a Homeopath and tried it, that it cured her symptoms. That's how I feel about it. Other than that, I take two fish oil capsules a day, any more than that and my eyes tear up too much along with too much wax in my ears. I can't take vit C at all, it makes me sicker than anything! I can't believe how sick Vt C makes me. So I stay away from all supplements except Fish Oil, Magnesium and a little Calcium. Oh and Ginger, I take Ginger every day as it helps with nausea and calms nerves a bit. It also helps with pain. If you want to see the Homeopathy I use, I have a link to my website in my signature.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I think it helps to try to do gentle exercises and to walk. You have to start out slow and build up as you feel able. Taking magnesium I think has also helped me. And meditation. Nothing is linear, though... it's not always clear what is helping, and progress is erratic and comes in waves.

Look in the tapering section for advice on how to do a proper taper!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Thanks again Shanti, ok the affirms make sense from many perspectives that I have. It is just making myself do them But I have ways and these days most anything that alleviates symptoms is do-able. mmh homeopathy has not been the best method compared to acupuncture and other woo woo methodologies BUT I would try it because ya never know what works until you sample it. I find that it is a more subtle tool and maybe my system will appreciate and respond to it. I never throw ant options off the table unless it is pharms forever or some dingle berry snake oil potion opportunist trying to exploit a situation. Besides not all doctors are healers and not all healers can heal. Sounds as though you may have found the real healer that you have been working with who just happens to be practicing homeopathy. Where is this person? I am still in NM however strongly considering getting on the road. My own version of Latifas "Holiday" movie. I realize in a geographic where I abstain from being the "caretaker" and flip everything that I regret not doing, the goals that I threw to the back seat for the past 4-18 yrs. may just be the key to a smoother recovery. If not I think I'll glean some happiness and that is worth it's weight in gold. Any who, I have got to run, trying to keep all the balls in the air and have to finish work production and loose ends so that I may actually get on the road and escape the looooooooooooooooooong winter snow. Just taking it one day at a time. My 2nd night that I will be taking the 1/2 dose like everyone encouraged. Actually day 2 no pains just dizzy and ditzy with irritability. On my way to class as I pondered how it felt to spend "my money on me" that I have worked so hard to save and keep it really gave me a lift today. I needed something because I just had a major relapse, giving my adult step son (age 26? 27?) whose biological parents and his self think my name is AFDC and I am NOT wealthy just a nice guy who missed the class on who finishes last. Ok and obviously with issues like low self esteem. That is one of my new affirmations, do less,breathe and treat yourself as you have others for a change or I have no one to blame for feeling disregarded and unappreciated but MYSELF. Thanks Shanti, I have really isolated terribly over the past decade. I am looking forward to seeing my friends back in Calli when I make the trip who I have been less and less in contact with for the past 12 yrs. Thanks again omhc. :blink:

Thanks Nadia, yes I am really looking forward to running away from home and getting down to nicer warmer weather. It helped last weekend but was so difficult because I was not alone and had to accommodate my other 1/2. But soon I am returning. Got to get to work. Feeling just ok and concerned that some weird new thing is happening with my mouth and nose. Like I have an abscessing tooth or something going to have to see the dentist and find out which slows down my vacation get away plan but it's all good. Best 2 ya - omhc.

I haven't consulted a Homeopath. I've used it for 20 years so have a good understanding of it. If you look at Homeopathy from a physics pov, then it does look like woo woo. But if you research quantum mechanics and specifically fourfold quantum memory, you can see how it works. I have some links about that on my site. It just can't be explained with regular physics. I don't know of any Homeopaths to refer you to.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Thanks Shanti again I will try to check it out but am pretty swamped as of now. I am of novice of such sciences and generally if someone suggest things that are working for them I do not baulk at it because I believe that we are all so unique. Wow like one of my professors who is a Neuro-psychologist PHD said in lecture last night, that new scanning technology has proven that not even "identical twins" have identical brain mapping and folds ect... and that we are all unique not one size fits all. Well in our case not 1 cure fits all. But I really appreciate your sharing and it sounds as though you have a real gifted homeopathic doctor. If I am suppose to add it to my recovery believe me it will find me. I have an appointment with a well known DOM that also is a chiropractor and acupuncturist. I have seen many him years ago and he has so many things he does, and does prescribe things. I will let you know if he sends me out with homeopathic tinctures as well.

So how is your March day so far? thanks, omhc

Yeah, I do wish it worked for everyone, but I know it doesn't. If you do try it, let me know if you have success with it and I'll post that on my website. It is really a beautiful day here in Cali. Just a perfect breeze and not cold or hot. Just right. But makes me wish I had a life! lol. Anyway, I am enjoying it with my screen door open :) I hope you're having a good day too.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I wish I had that Calli temperate weather. We have just had another day snow storming and I did not wake up singing winter wonderland. I was uhhhh. Anyways I ignored my dismal mood and put my human doing in time to take care of my health like the blood work I was suppose to do in September 2011 and several other things. I did go to an urgent care clinic that is new and I had not been too. I found the doctor a women to be very helpful about meds. She was 'professional' but we were having the real conversation about it. Wow so in spite of the repressive weather I had good uplifting encounters and shockingly no waiting. So I did find that out of no where -- I had pain and swelling in my mouth and nose is why I went to urgent care. The doctor said she'll treat it as an abcess and through a week of antibiotics at it. Then if there is signs of it still next thing is an image scan. Plus the blood tests will show anything possibly.

And I will surely let you know if the DOM puts me on anything of the sorts and definitely will keep in touch. My appointment with the dom

is not till ?? next week or the following.

I know how you feel about wanting a different life, which is why I am not home and still in a motel. I just can't do this any other way right now. It is harder to be around my other 1/2 too. I have been the rock always putting myself to the back of the buss. Sometimes I wonder that changing that, may help, anything different has to be an improvement. The doc and I had a talk she was going on about brain and behavior synapse and serotonin levels. I said to her but why is it that my levels are off? What is causing it what is malfunctioning? Of course she did not know what to say, but that, western medicine treats symptoms not cures. I told her, I am like a budding little scientist and I aim to find out because after this I do not want to be on this pharma the rest of my life.

Still 1/2 dosing. Hope you enjoyed that Calli sunshine ohhh to be able to not be layered in down and able to walk,run or ride my bike anywhere there. I got a ft of snow here +. Take care. omhc oh and ps of course I will try it. I say were at war with are habits and they will fight to stay alive so I hit em with all forms.(moderately) Hope your day is better when you read this. :rolleyes:

• Administrator

There's no such thing as low serotonin levels in the brain. The neurotransmitter imbalance theory is a myth doctors tell to patients to convince them to take medications. That's why she can't answer you -- it's nonsense.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Alo, thank you so much for commenting. I was going to treat this as a research project and go ferreting for information. Has been a hard day, I think adding the antibiotics to probably my already toxed system is just a bit much. However I think there is progress on my infection ??? or whatever it is. Needed to rest but pushed myself to do some work and ended up with a really bad headache. Alo could you point me in the direction of info. brain and behavior so I can find out more about serotonin levels and functions? Thanks in advance. omhc :)

Hi occupying,

I wanted to also welcome you to the forum. I hope you are able to find information here to help you make sound decisions about your health which is what I hear you saying you want to do, and the reason you decided to remove your antidepressant.

I have endured a long, unhappy, complicated process initiated by my discontinuation of psychiatric medication. (I was taking multiple meds.)

Long, unhappy processes are much more likely if an individual rapidly removes their medication. Cold turkey reduction presents great risk.

I hope you consider applying the advice proffered to taper more gradually. IMO, this is the best thing you can do for your health.

As Alto eluded to in her comment about serotonin, prescription "remedies" are based in oversimplifications, uncertainties and genuine health risk. The general conception of the "chemical imbalance" is a misconception. This is why it is important not to make drastic changes without an understanding of the risks and how to mitigate them (to the best of your ability).

Again, welcome to the board. I think you'll find some eye-opening information that will help you make the sound health decisions you seek if you poke around this forum.

Best,

Alex

ps - I am sorry to hear about your dog. I am a dog lover myself. Someday I'll have another.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hello Alex thanks for the thoughtful input. Yes I have taken the suggestion to taper and I am trying to mitigate an infection ?? that came up this week. I think the best thing that I have done was to leave home and it's isolation, cold ect.. and have been in town in a motel. Simple comforts and just spending my money on me for a change.I have spent more of my life taking care and concerned with others and this is one step out of being artificially stimulated and propped up on meds to maintain the status quo. Thanks a mill and cheers 2 U ! for getting through your own liberation from meds. :D

• 2 months later...

Hello all glad to be back my self care has eroded and I decided to make a list of to do's to put my care back on the map.I have been tapering Zoloft @ 50% since Feb 2012. Dr wants to switch me to Effexor but after reading posts this does not look like a great candidate for tapering from Zoloft.Looks like I should be getting liquid Prozak. (My Doctor is not an advocate of living beyond meds since he makes his money drug pushing.)Any comments? And is there any way to make donations not using pay pal? Much thanks, Breathe omhc.

• Administrator

omhc, good to hear from you again. I moved your update to your own Intro and Updates topic.

If you're reading this site on a cell phone, you may find it makes more sense on a computer. (Please include line breaks in your posts to make them easier to read.)

What do you mean you are tapering 50% since Feb? The last time you were here, you were going to try to take a small dose of Zoloft to reduce withdrawal symptoms from cold turkey.

Hello Alto, thanks for the reply. What I meant is that I had been on 100 mg of Zoloft prior going off mid Feb 2012. When you suggested that I taper, (THANK YOU!)

I began taking 50 mg. and was better for it. I had not seen my doc. till recently and he suggest switching to Effexor since I have been having clinical

depressive symtoms without improvemnent for a year. I then came back to research this because my goal is to taper and end pharma's which is not my doc's concern

or priority, he clearly just makes his living, writing script's with no accountabilty or moral compass. So I am under the impression that it would be better to

request he put me on prozac than effexor for tapering from zoloft. I have never taken effexor and it looks like the same if not stronger class of anti -

depressant than Zoloft. I had taken Prozac years ago and at least it is not a novel drug to my system in addition to the discussions I read suggesting it as an

effective gateway drug for transitioning off of anti-depressants. What do you think? Alto. And how are you doing these days?

much thanks, omhc.

• Administrator

You've been taking 50mg Zoloft since early March? Did this completely resolve your withdrawal symptoms?

Your doctor's idea to switch you to Effexor will not enable your going off antidepressants.

You may be able to gradually taper Zoloft without the risk of switching to Prozac.

What do you mean "clinical depressive symptoms?"

There are many reasons for "clinical depressive symptoms": low vitamin B12, low vitamin D2, poor nutrition, sedentariness, grief, etc. They do not necessarily mean you need medication.

Hello Allo have been off line and finally responding to your last msg. See below ( ).

You've been taking 50mg Zoloft since early March? Did this completely resolve your withdrawal symptoms? (Yes)

Your doctor's idea to switch you to Effexor will not enable your going off antidepressants. (I was concerned about that and have not started it, still on the 50mg.

Zoloft sometimes I skip a day and have just dropped off the 1/2 dose klonapin without noteable consequences.)

You may be able to gradually taper Zoloft without the risk of switching to Prozac. (That is promising)

What do you mean "clinical depressive symptoms?" (Prolonged fatigue,not enjoying life or activities had prior.)

There are many reasons for "clinical depressive symptoms": low vitamin B12, low vitamin D2, poor nutrition, sedentariness, grief, etc.

( I have been less active over the years since moving from California temperate climate to Northern NM with alot of winter snow butam not a snow bear more a beach

comber. And since going to college later in life. Curious your location is my birth place, SF. The grief part has definately increased greatly over the loss of my dog

in November.There are other things contributing and so I ponder more and more how much this 'depression' is from external factors,life style, situational and so on. I

also think it is probably in part, becuase I have been a real human doing with a stress full anxious type temperment and as I age my system just cannot keep taking it.)

They do not necessarily mean you need medication. ( I am definately interested in the vitamin part so I will research further B12 have heard and started but not D2.)

And thank you again for your input. Say hello to my city by the bay, OMHC.

• Administrator

Please don't skip any Zoloft doses! This puts stress on your nervous system.

It sounds like your symptoms might be somewhat due to your loneliness. I know you cannot replace your dear friend, but would it be possible to rescue a shelter dog? You would be doing good for the two of you.

Is there a way you can connect regularly with other people? Maybe a weekly reading or card game?

You may also benefit from learning some meditation techniques. They calm the mind and spirit. There are pointers here: Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

• 7 months later...

:rolleyes: Greetings, 6 months now off of zoloft. Still tapering clonazapam over last 6 months but has been intermittent 1/2 of 0.5 mg then 1/4. More recently 3 weeks ago was taking 2-3 nights per week, then this last week 1 time. I see after reading and watching about benzo's that I need to research more and consider tapering this more and longer than the zoloft.

Anyways, I just saw the touring exhibit and documentaries "Pychiatry: An Industry of Death", sponsored by the Citizen's Commision on Human Rights.WOW! Wish I had seen that before, however I was desperate at the time and thought that the chemical imbalance marketing was real science. Now that I have spent my education and to graduate this June on Psychology and Sociology, I am more disgusted with the field and it's archaic incompetance occupied by the pharma industry. The good news is that I really connected with the GM @ CCHR and maybe I can find some useful work even if volunteer with them.

I wish all my fella survivors peace and liberation. breathe.

• Administrator

Hi, occupying. Please bookmark this topic and add your updates to it.

Good to hear you're doing so well with the benzo taper.