SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia

peggy

• Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure if this is related to menopause or withdrawal -or maybe both.

I experience irregular ectopic heart beats - they don't cause dizziness or pain, i just feel them as a thump thump. It is not tachycardia - (continual fast heart beat) and it is not related to any anxiety. I thought i would ask here before doing anything else - i have had them off and on over the years but haven't taken a lot of notice about whether or not they were occurring only during withdrawal. The only thing i have related them to is when my hot flashes are active (and that may or may not be related to withdrawal)..

I am hesitant to go to the doctor as if they did an ECG just my luck i wouldn't have any.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hi, Peggy: I think what you describe as ectopic beats are mitral valve prolapse symptoms. I, too have had these off and on for many years. When I had general anxiety disorder many years back, these " flutters" we're very common. Since I've topped ad's, they only visit once in a while. It is my understanding that they are more of an anxiety related phenomenon than an actual heart related issue. There must be a genetic component since my brother experienced them, too. So much so, he had a complete work up on his heart at Stanford university hospital, convinced he had some serious heart pathology. They found nothing wrong with his heart. I have had unrelenting hot flashes for six years now. Can't really say if they are related to wd. They do seem more intense in the evening, when cortisol levels drop(?). Does this help any?

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

• Moderator Emeritus

wow!

interestingly, my mother was diagnosed with a floppy mitral valve a few years back - however she gets a lot of breathlessness - i don't get any of that.

i actually don't feel any anxiety at the moment... i will keep aware of them to see how they change or not

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Yes ~ I've had that occasionally - a flutter feeling and not racing heart - I do have a heart murmur that Ive not had issues with and I'm not certain how that relates to MVP -

There is a condition called Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome that is characterized by severe panic attacks often mistaken for heart attacks - last I knew this was treated with beta blocker drugs - NOT related to withdrawal that I'm aware of although it seems that several of us have reported a history of MVP -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Irregular heart beats and palpitations are very common withdrawal symptoms.

If your symptom started during or after withdrawal, it is likely a withdrawal symptom and an indication you have tapered too fast.

Like other withdrawal symptoms, this goes away with time. Also, walking helps regularize autonomic function and heart rate. Make sure you get at least a half-hour of walking every day, if you can tolerate it.

Mitral valve prolapse is another one of those conditions that is vastly overdiagnosed, so take any MV diagnosis with a grain of salt.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was getting tons of palpitating, which is why I stopped taking Sam-e. Then it turned to related to anxiety that I would get them, and related to withdrawal. At five months out, I am happy to say they have gone down a lot to nearly nothing, maybe once every couple days I feel them. I have had them all my life but they really acted up in withdrawal. I do think it will calm down for you the further out you get from stopping meds. Caffeine is a big cause of them, so if you haven't already cut that out it could be contributing too. Even Claritin gives me palpitations, so you may be sensitive to something causing them, on top of withdrawal stuff, of course.

I have doubts about how many docs really know how to use a stethoscope - I've been told I do have murmur by some and others say no -

Same skepticism on xrays -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

thanks for the thoughts.

i do get regular exercise in every day which i love.

I will add this to my symptom check list so i can monitor its comings and goings

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator

I am having some fairly serious problems with heart palpitations. After doing some research, I've increased my magnesium to 300mg per day, in 3 divided doses.

I'm sensitive to magnesium, I've very gradually increased my dosage from 75mg at a time.

It seems taurine might be good for palpitations, too, so perhaps magnesium taurate is the best form for this symptom.

Niacin might cause palpitations; if you get palpitations are taking niacin, you may wish to discontinue it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

I ended up starting estrogen about 5 months ago and i am happy to report that both my hot flashes AND heart palpitations have disappeared. When i finally went to the GP she sent me for a 24hr monitor which showed lots of ectopic beats - sometimes i was unaware of them. So, then she sent me off for a stress test because she wouldn't start me on HRT without clearing it with a cardiologist - it was fine and he said many people have these ectopics and are not aware of them. So, i started the HRT and within 3 weeks they stopped (at lease the ones I was aware of anyway)

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Many of us have had problems with heart rhythm after going off psychiatric drugs.

Antidepressants lengthen the heart's QT interval, interfering with the natural rhythm.

Palpitations and fast heartbeat are very common withdrawal symptoms, brachycardia and arrhythmia less so, but certainly reported by others.

Over time, the cardiac symptoms go away for most people.

• Administrator

I don't know, Marmite. What's done is done, don't blame yourself. Quietly shut that door and look ahead to what you can do to make yourself stronger, healthier, and happier now.

Marmite,

I was admitted to hospital for monitoring of bradycardia but my HR never got below 30s and was only for a short time. Even at that, a pacemaker was mentioned.

My understanding is that your HR was much lower and symptoms far more severe. I'm certain that i would have gotten a pacemaker in your circumstance.

This doesn't make your situation any easier, but hope it offers a little bit of comfort.

Hugs.

B

Has anybody else experienced heart symptoms as a result of stopping celexa/ citalopram or lexapro / escitalopram?

I experienced bradycardia (slow pulse) and Arrythmia (irregular heart beat) as well as coronary artery spasm.

I was told that for the drug I was taking tachycardia (fast heart beat) was the more likely side effect, but even then unlikely.

On another forum I know of one lady with bradycardia as a result of taking escitalopram with the cardiologists attributing the possible cause to escitalopram, but I have not heard of anyone else to date.

Escitalopram is far more expensive than citalopram, and when I started taking it 10 years ago (withdrew 5 years ago) there was very little data or patient experiences to draw upon. This is still the case in the UK, but I'm wondering if there has been more extensive use of this drug, and therefore more patient experiences in in US and other countries.

I would be grateful to hear of any experiences with heart symptoms, no matter how slight.

thank you

Not sure about the others but I had a very slow pulse and very low blood pressure. Not much was made of it. I still struggle with low blood pressure off and on since quitting prozac.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

I've had a flare of bradycardia since Sunday and can't pinpoint a trigger. My heart rate is running in high 30s to low 40s, lowest in morning. I felt good on Saturday, went out to lunch with a friend and had a fairly vigorous massage afterward. On Sunday, i went out for about an hour and became so weak and sleepy, i rushed home and directly to bed. I've been the same every day since. Mood has been significantly lower.

This coincided with the change to Daylight Savings Time which i understand some people are very sensitive to. I have no set schedule or alarm to wake to, so it seems unlikely this would effect me.

I have been drinking alot of chamomile tea which is calming.

My heart rate and blood pressure had been running on the low normal side prior to this week.

Marmite,

I had been feeling relatively energetic for several weeks, then extremely weak and very depressed on Sunday. Friend mentioned how change to DST messes with her circadian rhythm which got me thinking. I have heard about mood changes with time change, but learned that there's an increase in cardiac events for ~2 weeks following time change. I normally would take that with a grain of salt, but we're ultra sensitive to cortisol triggers and chances from these drugs, so it seems plausible though still not probable.

Also, I confirmed that chamomile does have a slight effect on heart rate:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/103400-factors-affect-heart-rate-besides/

Wow. Just noticed this point about dehydration in article on chamomile:

. "It is a sign of severe dehydration, which occurs if your body's water supply is depleted by 5 percent."

The previous week, i was at a pharmacy that has machine that takes BP and HR. This particular one also did weight/BMI and told me I'm 5% dehydrated ( not vouching for accuracy!). I didnt think much of 5% until just this moment. Dehydration increases heart rate. I've increased my fluid intake significantly with several cups of tea/day. I previously drank Coke Classic which probably increases HR via caffeine.

Sorry for that tangent!

I have the same hollow feeling in my chest that i had last summer when admitted for bradycardia. That was probably what prompted me to check.

I've been using 2 apps on my phone to check heart rate (Azumio and Cardiograph - not vouching for accuracy!).

I haven't checked BP.

It was the sudden change from Saturday to Sunday that struck me and thinking about triggers.

Another article of interest:

Factors that Effect Heart Rate

http://www.heartmonitors.com/exercisetips/changing_heartrate.htm

The massage therapist did deep work on my upper neck and base of skull (always tight on me). Not sure if it's possible to have effected parasympathetic area that lowers HR..? (a huge assumption, i realize!)

"The parasympathetic nervous system located in the brain stem and upper or sacral portion of the spinal cord slows heart rate. The parasympathetic components decrease heart rate. These neurons release the neurohormone acetylcholine, which inhibits heart rate. The slowing of heart rate is called bradycardia."

Perhaps we should be called.... The Brady Bunch ;)

I'm holding in the low 60s this week but still quite tired. I will try licorice tea. Thanks for the tip!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I've been looking into the ectopic heartbeats issue -- mine has become fairly serious -- and found the 3 main supplements to help this are fish oil, magnesium, and potassium.

No calcium supplements, use sea salt

Also, do NOT take additional calcium at all. This competes with magnesium in calming the heart. (If you use salt at all, use sea salt or other natural salts, which contain small amounts of calcium, potassium, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, and iron http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-healthy-salt-recommendations )

From http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-when-salt-reduction-may-be-warranted

In fact, calcium supplementation has been associated with a 30% increased risk of heart attack, and is potentially dangerous for those at risk for heart disease. (15) For those looking to protect themselves against hypertension and subsequent cardiovascular disease, a calcium-rich diet should suffice, with no supplementation required or recommended. (And of course, remember to keep vitamin K2 intake adequate as well!)

Go carefully when increasing potassium!

Potassium supplementation is tricky because too much can upset your electrolytes, causing serious problems.

(Warning: People with kidney problems need to be very careful about adding potassium. If you already have low sodium but normal potassium, do not add additional potassium -- you could develop hyponatremia or low sodium.)

Chris Kresser says http://chriskresser.com/naturally-treating-heartburn-infant-reflux-and-stroke-prevention

I like the potassium gluconate form, and the dose would depend on how much you’re getting from food, but they usually come in 99 mg tablets, and you might try doing one three times a day or two three times a day. You don’t want to go overboard with potassium supplementation because all the minerals should exist in a balance in our body. If you take too much of any one mineral for too long, that can cause some difficulties, and if you are supplementing with potassium, you probably want to make sure you’re supplementing a little bit with magnesium too, which I recommend for most people anyhow because it’s pretty hard to get from the diet.

Please note that potassium can cause stomach irritation; I would titrate by half a tablet (50mg) at a time.

Make sure to increase your intake of magnesium before increasing potassium.

Also see http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-human-need-for-salt The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone hormonal system Chris Kresser refers to affect heart rate as well.

Food: The safest way to increase potassium

Probably the safest way to increase your potassium levels is to eat the delicious foods that contain high amounts of potassium.

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-when-salt-reduction-may-be-warranted

Research suggests that increased intake of potassium, found in fruits and vegetables, may be more effective than, and possibly synergistic with, moderately restricting dietary NaCl in reducing not only the renal excretion of calcium, but also the level of blood pressure, the expression of hypertension, and the development of osteoporosis and kidney stones. (11) Therefore, a diet high in potassium-rich plant foods is crucial to preventing the negative outcomes typically associated with a high salt intake....

Potassium-rich foods

From http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/potassium-sources-and-benefits?page=2

Here’s how many milligrams (mg) of potassium you'll get from these potassium-rich foods:

[*]Winter squash, cubed, 1 cup, cooked: 896 mg

[*]Sweet potato, medium, baked with skin: 694 mg

[*]Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg

[*]White beans, canned, drained, half cup: 595 mg

[*]Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg

[*]Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg

[*]100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg

[*]Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg

[*]Cantaloupe, cubed, 1 cup: 431 mg

[*]Banana, 1 medium: 422 mg

[*]Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg

[*]Lentils, half cup, cooked: 366 mg

[*]Milk, 1% low fat, 8 ounces: 366 mg

[*]Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg

[*]Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg

[*]Raisins, quarter cup: 250 mg

[*]Chicken breast, 3 ounces, cooked: 218 mg

[*]Tuna, light, canned, drained, 3 ounces: 201 mg

A more extensive list of potassium in foods http://dietgrail.com/potassium/

(Good news, cocoa is high in potassium!)

Keep digestion calm

There also seems to be a connection between palpitations and digestion problems (the vagus nerve connects the stomach and heart), so you'll want to keep your stomach calm, too. See our topics on diet, probiotics, and other ways to reduce turmoil in the gut.

Edited by Altostrata
updated and expanded

Thanks, Alto, for ALL you do. I hope you get this resolved and are feeling better soon.

On somewhat related note, my low heartrate and low BP seem to have stabilized (without treatment) since last year when I was hospitalized for cardiac monitoring. Running around 120/80 and 60-70bpm now. Hopefully, typical autonomic dysfunction from tapering Pristiq too rapidly.

B

• Administrator

Thanks, Barb. Good to hear your HR and BP are a lot more normal now. I was worried for you.

Yes, the autonomic nervous system tends to heal, if we let it.

• 4 weeks later...

About two months after fluoxetine cold turkey I started having frequent palpitations. Went to a cardiologist who diagnosed atrial fibrillation (a-fib). This can cause stroke, I was told. I am now taking metoprolol (a beta blocker), which is very helpful. Both FP and cardiologist thought I was nuts when I suggested this might have something to do with Prozac w/drawal. Don't know who's right, but you all can consider this a report. Apparently others have had irregular heart beat following AD cessation. Mine last from between 1 hr and 2 days, so can be pretty scary.

I should add that I've had very occasional palpitations for decades and that my dad had a-fib for the last 20 years of his life.

Diagnosed w/ ADD and minor depression in 1990. Fluoxetine 20 mg/day. Also methylphenidate, but hated it and quit after about a week. Quit fluoxetine cold turkey (ignorance) 18 January 2013. Experienced brain zaps, flu symptoms, heart palpitations. Nothing after August 2013. Mirtazapine 15 mg/day for sleep beginning around 1999. Began tapering August 2013.  As of March 2015 I'm off mirtazapine and antidepressant free. Don't sleep well after sunrise, feel anxious and sad some of the time, still have tinnitus. Still occasionally take lorazepam for anxiety but never more than 1 mg.  Prescribed metoprolol (beta blocker) for atrial fibrillation diagnosed June 2013. Medical  opinion (two cardiologists) is that it's not caused by fluoxetine w/drawal and is a dangerous, chronic condition requiring lifelong medication. As of Aug 2013 heart palpitations for the most part ceased. Tapered beta blocker and am off of it as of Jan 2015. No wd symptoms or recurring afib at all so far. Maybe it was wd after all, but doctors don't think so, surprise surprise. However, a small victory: the last doctor I related this to shrugged her shoulders. Getting lots of exercise, which has me physically pretty robust at age 71 in spite of persistence of mirt wd symptoms, mainly insomnia and anxiety, but also jaw-clenching annoyance at noises of a certain pitch and timbre. Incessant media fixation on the presidential campaign has ruined my disposition and my faith in the future. My Introduction.

• Administrator

Palpitations are a recognized withdrawal symptom.

It's important to taper slowly enough to avoid this. Doctors tend to brush them off as trivial, but they're a sign of nervous system distress.

A magnesium-based drink might help, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/?p=53698

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to this site and feel a little weird posting a reply but I feel it might be important after reading these posts about heart irregularities. I was on Effexor Cr ( i think it was called cr.) for a year or so (have a hard time remembering my history.) before I was switched to cymbalta. I just realized that is not in my signature. I was in the hospital for something that had nothing to do with my heart and they did an ekg which came back abnormal. They call it Left bundle branch block. I was referred to a heart doctor who tested me and said that i did have that and he didn't know why. Apparently it's not too serious because it is on the left side. It has something to do with the timing is off in the beating of your heart. I asked my psychiatrist if it could be caused by any of the drugs I am on and he said no. Also I asked the heart doctor and he said no.  Out of curiosity I asked the pharmacist for the drug sheet that is supposed to come with each prescription but never does. The one from the manufacturer. Lo and behold under cardiac side effects it says under rare side effects- Left Bundle branch block! hmmm. why did none of the doctors know that effexor could cause this? I am not on effexor anymore but have not been back to the heart doctor to see if I still have this L B B B. I will go back and find out now and if anyone wants to know I will report back. Dazygirl

prozac many years

effexor cr a year?

cymbalta 60.mg  2-3 years

cymbalta 30mg. for  9 days. 9th day june 23rd 2013

started fluoxetine 10mg on day 8 of cymbalta 30mg. june 22nd 2013

risperidone 1mg. for 2-3 years

clonazepam 1mg. per day for 2-3 years

alpralozam as needed 1 year

• 2 weeks later...

Can you feel arrhythmias?

Hello, I am new to this site and feel a little weird posting a reply but I feel it might be important after reading these posts about heart irregularities. I was on Effexor Cr ( i think it was called cr.) for a year or so (have a hard time remembering my history.) before I was switched to cymbalta. I just realized that is not in my signature. I was in the hospital for something that had nothing to do with my heart and they did an ekg which came back abnormal. They call it Left bundle branch block. I was referred to a heart doctor who tested me and said that i did have that and he didn't know why. Apparently it's not too serious because it is on the left side. It has something to do with the timing is off in the beating of your heart. I asked my psychiatrist if it could be caused by any of the drugs I am on and he said no. Also I asked the heart doctor and he said no.  Out of curiosity I asked the pharmacist for the drug sheet that is supposed to come with each prescription but never does. The one from the manufacturer. Lo and behold under cardiac side effects it says under rare side effects- Left Bundle branch block! hmmm. why did none of the doctors know that effexor could cause this? I am not on effexor anymore but have not been back to the heart doctor to see if I still have this L B B B. I will go back and find out now and if anyone wants to know I will report back. Dazygirl

Don't know about how things work in the US, but, if it's anything like how things work in Canada, pharmacists are much more knowledgeable about "side" effects and other drug issues like contraindications than doctors are.

Not that that is an excuse--he should have a reference book (PDR I believe) in his office that he could have checked to see if it was listed.

I hope it clears up for you.  I have had irregular heartbeats and bouts where it felt like my heart was speeding up, but heart tests found nothing.  Over time this has improved.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 1 year later...

i can't remember when mine started but lately i've been getting palpitations more frequently and lasting longer. i used to notice them for about 15 months once a week but lately they are lasting an hour and a few times a day.  I'm at 15 months since my last dose of an ssri. is it common for this to start this late in the game? 

i had a doctor's appt the other day and my BP was nice and low but my resting HR was 98. i actually felt pretty relaxed so i knew it wasn't anxiety related. i am curious if i should relax when the palpitations are doing its thing or if they are harmless and i should just carry on as usual/exercise. also, I'm not sure when i should worry and see a doctor, or just wait for my body to regular. i feel normal and fine when its doing it, i just feel the strong pounding.

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

Apart from real heart issues, I think it's from too much adrenaline. At least mine is. If you have too much cortisol, you likely have too much adrenaline. I have learned a lot from really paying attention to what has been going on before they start. Found I have a lot more food allergies than I thought. But I still have them in late evening, craving my benzo. Now my pulse is about 80, used to be about 100.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

In addition to white coat hypertension, I seemed to also have had white coat tachycardia.   Did a 24 halter monitor test that conformed this wasn't an issue.

I have noticed certain foods will raise my HR also.  And the Temazepam that I have taken on a PRN basis also causes it.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

i see it being cortisol/adrenaline related when I'm waking up and feel it, or when i reach for something up in the closet, or after exercise but sometimes it happens when I'm just sitting calm and not anxious. maybe i should pay attention to food.

should i be careful when its happening and take it easy or just do business as usual? I'm 40 and in good shape. i had an ekg in feb that came out fine but during withdrawal my heart will sometimes beat faster or slower. i just wonder if there are dangers to this that i should watch for, or just carry on and wait for it to regulate.

Well, this is what I've done, who knows if right or not. I had some times when my chest felt hollow and disturbing when I feared atrial fib. But once I cut out eggs, it has never happened again. If it had, I would have had a holter monitor. You can google the symptoms of atrial fib. If your heart becomes irregularly irregular, you need help. If you have bouts of both really low heart rate and high heart rate, I think you need checked out. Shortness of breath and chest pain are important symptoms. I believe the official normal range for a pulse is 60 to 100, except athletes who are lower. But if it is higher than your norm or "thudding" something is activating your fight or flight response, and of course understanding that is helpful. Just my opinion.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Peggy,

I have been feeling this for years, in fact the "flip flop" sensation brought on panic attacks. I found great relief when I started taking Magnesium supplements, I prefer taking it as a powder mixed in water or juice, it is sold and vitamin shops under the name of Natural Calm.

I am a skeptic and I will 100% vouch that this has worked for me. :D

Zoloft 100mg for 2 month switched to Lexapro  10mg  for 1 month. Doc quick weaned in one week  ((Terrible WD's))

My current meds are.

Trazodone 50mg

Lorazapam (2) 1mg pills cut in half taken 4x a day

Omeprazole 20mg

You can also see the thread on taurine if you wish.

56 years old

thank you for the in-depth info, meimei! i will keep my eye on it...

• 4 months later...

I'm experiencing problems w/ heart rate again. It was bradycardia before. Now it's Bradycatdia - tachycardia. Fluctuating from 30s to 100 within 2 minutes. Dizziness, weakness/overwhelming need to lie down, etc. I'm scheduled to see a cardio electro physiologist at end of January, but supposed to go to ER if worsens. Few hospitals have cardiac electro physiologists.

I'll keep you posted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy