SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia

peggy

I have begun having heart palpitations after eating, eating anything really. Also, as soon as I lay down in bed. It's not so much that my heart is beating faster or slower, just feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. Very uncomfortable.

Could it be due to digestion?

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

• Moderator Emeritus

i have another odd sensation that began about 2 months ago.  I only notice it in certain positions and at certain times. Most noticably in the morning when having a cup of tea in bed and reading.  I hear/feel a regular - every 5 secs or so 'cricket' type sound around where my heart is.  My husband can hear it if he puts his head on my chest.  I forgot to ask my GP about it when i was there a few weeks ago.  I don't have any other cardio vascular type symptoms - i was wondering if it was a murmur?

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I have this too...

I have begun having heart palpitations after eating, eating anything really. Also, as soon as I lay down in bed. It's not so much that my heart is beating faster or slower, just feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. Very uncomfortable.

Could it be due to digestion?

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Heart problems and withdrawal go hand in hand. Withdrawal brings with it a range of symptoms that include overloads of adrenaline, which cause intermittent bouts of tachycardia. Sustained tachycardia causes myocardial ischemia which looks a LOT like a heart attack, causes PERMANENT changes to your EKG and the potential for ectopic beats originating either out of the atria, or the ventricles (PACs/PVCs). Some people also end up with A-Fib.

The cure: electrophysiology studies and radio frequency ablation OR anti-arrhythmia drugs -  the least harmful of which are beta blockers. Beta blockers are absolutely NOT Benzos LITE. Their mechanism of action is completely different from benzodiazepines. They act solely on the beta adrenal receptors of the heart and stop the heart from racing due to increases in adrenaline which cause rapid heart beats and PACS and PVCs. They can be taken as needed, or as a time released daily dose depending on your situation. I take a small 25mg dose of Toprol XL because I had sustained bouts of tach that caused ischemia. The ischemia in turn caused nearly constant PACs which I hope to eradicate at the end of this month when I go in for RAF because I literally cannot stand it any more.

Beta blockers cannot be stopped "cold turkey" because of the up regulation of beta receptors in the heart. (The racing heart returns because the receptors are once again exposed to adrenaline - once they are sensitive they are ALWAYS sensitive.) If your doctor says you can stop taking them, a slow taper is required. The best blockers are the ones that are water soluble and do NOT cross the blood brain barrier. For some people, alpha channel blockers or calcium blockers are more effective. It just depends on your body.

And YES - palpitations get worse with food (particularly carbs and sugar), perimenopause, stress, exercise, after a particularly LARGE meal, when you are dehydrated, when you haven't had enough potassium, etc. But mostly - when you haven't SLEPT. The less you sleep, the worse they get. And YES, they are a major cause of not sleeping. Because as soon as you lay down - BOOM - your heart starts banging around like bats in a bird cage.

So, YES, look into beta blockers. Some irritating side effects (nightmares, sleep disturbances, low blood pressure) but at low doses, all manageable and well worth the price of admission. AND look into Taurine. It is NOT stimulating. It's an amino acid. Found in abundance in food. 500-1000 mg a day. More if you can stand taking a zillion pills a day. There are articles posted somewhere on the site about it with plenty of legitimate links.

May the force be with you.

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004
Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012
Return of anxiety, insomnia and cardiac issues
Failed reinstatement early August 2012
Acute withdrawal for 9 months; intermittent symptoms for another 6

Relief on February 9, 2014 after addition of Taurine

Almost complete remission of symptoms w/addition of 12.5mg Atenolol daily

• 2 months later...

I am having heart flutters and a burning sensation in my chest...it comes and goes...I went to a naturopath this week and where I was taking 500 mg of an over the counter magnesium she switched me to 300 mg of magnesium glycerinate...she said it was more pure and much better absorbed....she said I could go up to 600 mg if needed....I know it is due to withdrawal but was wondering if it might also be due to the dosage reduction in my magnesium?  Also, I do notice after a meal the palpitations are worse...noticed someone else said that meals can cause palpitations...do you know why that is?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Moderator Emeritus

If magnesium was helping with the palpitations, you might want to spread your dosage through the day. Some people put it in their drinking water and sip it through the day. Read through the magnesium topic here:  Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker  for more information.

And see: Eating as an activating factor (increasing anxiety or symptoms)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petunia for the links I will read them

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if there is any information on this topic?

Do others have a high pulse rate (sitting) from thing in the morning?  Mine is always high 90,s to the 100,s.

Is there anything I can do to help myself?

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• Moderator Emeritus

I can say that I did have this happen while in protracted withdrawal from Effexor.  I remember going to the dentist and them being alarmed because my pulse was 99, so I began tracking it, and sure enough it was always in the high 90's resting.  My BP also went up a little from my norm.

You are doing a very sane, slow taper, so I can't say that it is because you are going too aggressively.  You held for April?  Were you having this symptom then, or is it a recent development?

Many of our bodily functions are affected when neurotransmitter levels fluctuate/change, including the heart and gut.

I don't have the answer but perhaps this link will help:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1868-irregular-heartbeats-palpitations-tachycardia-bradycardia/

*topics merged

SG

Edited by Petunia
updated

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thanks Squirellygirl for the link to these posts.I find it interesting many people exerience different heart problems.  Thanks Alto as your post is reassuring saying it is a common side effect of withdrawal.

I have experienced what I call:

"fluttering" and when taken BP saw that I had arrythmia. 

"palpitations" which is when I feel a thumping/banging feeling

"lurching" when it feels like the heart has stopped and then has a BIG strong beat

"rapid pulse" when i feel stressed, with high vibrations running thru my body also and is usually in the 90's and 100's every day and got worse every year despite a slow taper.

I had all the tests which came back with this result, but I it seems palpitations and rapid pulse are not a symptom of it.

Second-degree AV block is a disease of the electrical conduction system of the heart. It refers to a conduction block between the atria and ventricles. The presence of second-degree AV block is diagnosed when one or more (but not all) of the atrial impulses fail to conduct to the ventricles due to impaired conduction.

Has anyone posted that they improved once they had finished withdrawal?

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

Thanks for the link, it was very interesting.  I can only hope these problems are due to withdrawal and will go away.  My big concern is that rapid pulse and palpitations have got worse each year.

Palpitations Year 1:  1.4 p/w

Year 2:  1.0 p/w

Year 3:  1.7 p/w

Year 4:  2.4 p/w

Av. so far year 5:  3.7 p/w

No record Years 1-2

Rapid pulse Year 3:  2.1 p/w

Year 4: 2.7 p/w

Av. so far Year 5: 3.7 p/w

These 2 symptoms along with breathlessness and crook guts have been my main concerns of late.  I was interested to note also, that crook digestion could cause palpitations.

You are doing a very sane, slow taper, so I can't say that it is because you are going too aggressively. That's what has me concerned.  2.5% taper for years now

You held for April? No, 8 week tapers

Were you having this symptom then, or is it a recent development?  No,not recent, palpitions from word go and rapid pulse from year 3 on.

Many of our bodily functions are affected when neurotransmitter levels fluctuate/change, including the heart and gut.  I am convinced it is w/d but just would like to see it improve and not get higher!

I don't have the answer but perhaps this link will help: thanks, I had a quick look and bookmarked some of the links and will read more later.

Grandma. I have had similar to you in withdrawal , as quite a few of us have had. I have been rushed by ambulance to E.R numerous times, with SVT and given Adenosine IV to settle the heart rate.  Tests have shown nothing irregular. I believe it's W/D and also time ON the drugs !

This symptom is gradually decreasing. I can usually control it these days , by a bit of deep breathing and being horizontal for a bit. Sometimes, a bit of ice cold water is a good shock to get back into rhythm.

Yours is a little different obviously but perhaps it also springs from W/D. It probably does, but nothing is definite. I can only say that mine is improving, in time away from drugs.I never had it prior to A/D's.   

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks for your reply Ali.  It all comes back to simple WITHDRAWAL symptom!  I have to accept it and 'float' by and move on! 

I've been off Escitralopram just over two weeks. I'm experiencing lots of WD symptoms but the palpitations are causing me a great deal of anxiety and panic attacks.

When do heart symptoms become dangerous? Do I need to go to hospital?

Do the palpitations mean the AD have damaged my heart?

I'm so frightened I hope someone can help me please?

You can hear my story on the Let's Talk Withdrawal podcast. Its a global weekly podcast created by James Moore that interviews experts and others suffering from the awful effects of psychiatric medication. Here's how to listen...

If you have an iPhone, iPad or PC/Mac with iTunes, this link will take you to the iTunes Store where you can subscribe so each new episode will download automatically...

https://goo.gl/Yz7Zmp

Or you can also listen and download each episode here on any device...

http://jfmoore.libsyn.com/

Started AD aged 14 (1997)

Stopped AD Escitralopram aged 33 (May 14th 2016) weaned down from 20mg to 1mg

10 months SSRI free since May 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CJ, please try not to be frightened, it is a common symptom of withdrawal but of course if you have any chest pain then you must get checked out. 

The symptoms will settle down again in time. Sometimes we feel things more than usual, with hyper- awareness which means we can feel things that we don't normally feel. This is how I think of it. The body is functioning every day but we aren't usually aware of it but in withdrawal we can feel every heartbeat, digestion and even the blood coursing through veins. The nervous system is trying to get everything right again after being on drugs and things keep changing until it has reached a normal state again. Everything is dulled when taking the drugs, and when we are off them we can actually taste again, hear better, smell things and sometimes all these things are so strong it feels abnormal but it is just our bodies healing themselves.  Palpitations are very common, but if you become anxious about them you are releasing adrenalin which causes more palpitations and it becomes a vicious circle.  Relaxing and accepting the feelings as they come and go helps to calm the anxiety, listening to and feeling the workings of our bodies is a form of mindfulness and is really good for you when not stressing about them. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Mama, I agree - I have only just come to realise how numb was in brain and body while on the drugs.  It is quite frightening when you are suddenly faced with all these symptoms, but when you realise it is quite common, it is reassuring.  It doesn't hurt to get it all checked out either.  I went for years believing it was w/d but finally decided I had better get checked out.  When it came back okay, I was again reassured.

I think of it has a highly sensitised nervous system.  What you say has helped me realise what happens in bed at night, especially on my left side, it feels like my heart is moving, jumping around, quite weird.  I can also feel moving, popping, stretching in my stomach/bowel area.

CJA -  a really good book to read is called "Help for your nerves" by Claire Weekes.  I was able to get it from the local library.

I went to the doctors recently for the first time in at least 4 years . I had a virus which also jacked up WD to a fairly acute level. As I was there I told him about the ax I was still experiencing mainly the nighttime pounding palpitations which gives me other ax like pulsing flashing lights in my eyes and makes my head pulsing which I have had for two years worse. He was thorough to give him his due checked no carotid bruit for head pulsing but was concerned with the chest exam as he heard a murmur which he thought was an aortic stenosis ( a constricted aortic valve ). So scary , scheduled an ECG and echocardiogram and I have just had the results both normal thank God. My heart was doing a kind of hyped up pounding when I was examined which settled with the virus . What he would have heard was a flow murmur as a result which you wouldn't expect in a normal non healthy adult. I only mention this to reassure people that if the doctor picks up murmurs and palpitations in a WD person chances are it's part of our process though it must of course be investigated. It was actually a sign of progress that I was able to go as previously the idea of dropping dead at home was less scary than going to the doctors !

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

Should say non pregnant adult not non healthy and sx rather than ax . Didn't edit in time

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• 6 months later...

Grandma. I have had similar to you in withdrawal , as quite a few of us have had. I have been rushed by ambulance to E.R numerous times, with SVT and given Adenosine IV to settle the heart rate.  Tests have shown nothing irregular. I believe it's W/D and also time ON the drugs !

This symptom is gradually decreasing. I can usually control it these days , by a bit of deep breathing and being horizontal for a bit. Sometimes, a bit of ice cold water is a good shock to get back into rhythm.

Yours is a little different obviously but perhaps it also springs from W/D. It probably does, but nothing is definite. I can only say that mine is improving, in time away from drugs.I never had it prior to A/D's.   

Hi Ali, I can see this is obviously from w/d for many.  I am getting concerned because for quite a while now, my resting pulse was in the 100's during mornings, but did come down later on.  Recently it went to 100,s all day but then again, I add added outside stress going on.  How long did you have the high pulse for?  Was it for days, weeks, months or years?

When you say you used ice water - how did you apply it and where??

Isee many people suffer this from fast w/d but my w/d is anything but FAST, so i don't understand!

I had Supraventricular Tachycardia. During an episode the hearts electrical system doesn't work properly causing a very fast heart beat of anything from 100 - 300. I reached 280, lasted a few hours and needed medical intervention - Adenosine to revert it back to normal beat.

My last episode only lasted a few minutes and I used deep breathing and ice water.

There are simple maneuvers that stimulate the vagus nerve which can slow conduction of electrical impulses that control your heart rate. One of these is to hold nostrils closed whilst blowing air through your nose. Another is to plunge your wrists in ice cold water and then if that doesn't work to immerse your face in the ice cold water. ( Diving Reflex).

I had regular heart palpitations also throughout W/D and found that deep breathing helped slow down the heart rate. I had the medical tests done and nothing abnormal was found.

It has been over 12 months since I had any symptoms so I attribute it to not only withdrawal but also being on the drugs themselves as I had episodes before withdrawal.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

My irregular heart beat reading on the trade mail (the pulse is normal though) started since the drug reaction from the dose incraese and has been with me ever since. It ranges from 120-240. Higher.rate is an indication for dropping dose ( at least what I used it for), and dropping dose usually brings down the rate. I found walking helps for a more stable rate even its still on the higher number.

I don't feel the fast beat though, it only shown on the trade machine HR readings. I tested using many different machines and used other ppl as a control and it's always there and only from me. My guess is, it's the misfire of electricity in my body, not really a true reflection of my heart beat rate.

When I have a relatively normal and stable reading, I always have a good day in terms of symptoms.

Electricity misfire seems the cause of many of my symptoms.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Mentor

I had Supraventricular Tachycardia. During an episode the hearts electrical system doesn't work properly causing a very fast heart beat of anything from 100 - 300. I reached 280, lasted a few hours and needed medical intervention - Adenosine to revert it back to normal beat.

My last episode only lasted a few minutes and I used deep breathing and ice water.

There are simple maneuvers that stimulate the vagus nerve which can slow conduction of electrical impulses that control your heart rate. One of these is to hold nostrils closed whilst blowing air through your nose. Another is to plunge your wrists in ice cold water and then if that doesn't work to immerse your face in the ice cold water. ( Diving Reflex).

I had regular heart palpitations also throughout W/D and found that deep breathing helped slow down the heart rate. I had the medical tests done and nothing abnormal was found.

It has been over 12 months since I had any symptoms so I attribute it to not only withdrawal but also being on the drugs themselves as I had episodes before withdrawal.

this is interesting to me. After a car accident at age 18, I had one episode of SVT during a pulmonary angiogram (I had blood clots in my lung, not uncommon when your pelvis is fractured, as well as the rt leg) It was immediately stopped with an injection of adenosine. They told me I broke the hospital record for beats per minute but I don't recall the actual number.

anyway, fast forward to some 20+ yrs later, and I have my first episode of atrial fibrillation. I thought it was the same thing as the SVT but it wasn't and adenosine did not stop it.

I was on lithium at the time and probably an SSRI although I don't recall which one (it went zoloft-celexa-lexapro, basically)

they tried all sorts of drugs that made things worse, then they finally let my heart reset on it's own. I've had a few episodes since, for a total of less than 5, and every single episode had an easily identifiable set of triggers. The one trigger that has always put me over the edge from just an irritable heart with PVCs and PACs and other ectopic beats, was drinking or eating something very cold!!

I know the things you mentioned, ice water, etc

is  what is often used to get some people OUT of afib and I guess SVTs too, but for me, it's a trigger. It's the main trigger, but I also have to be at least mildly dehydrated, have had some stress recently (and usually it's been that I've been in an angry or aggravated mood: anger is NOT good for your heart!!) My potassium will be low and often I've not been eating much.

I was seeing a regular cardiologist instead of an electro- cardiologist (not sure that's the proper term but basically, a reg cardiologist is like a plumber, the cardiologist you want for afib, etc is one that works with the electrical system of the heart)

that's when I learned that you need two basic things for afib to happen: you need a substrate of an electrical problem (simplified, this is electrical cells in the wrong places, firing off in the wrong order to mess things up)

Most ppl have at least a few cells in the wrong place, that's what causes PVCs and PACs which almost everyone has, but not everyone feels (as I understand it, now, don't take this as gospel medical info as I'm just relaying my understanding of what I was told in an afib group lol)

An ablation, which is very invasive, can also be very painful and is, in the wrong hands, risky- may or may not "cure" afib. It often needs to be done twice.

it is also very expensive but is being put out there as the gold standard for treatment of afib- UNLESS you are under insured or have no insurance, or have state/fed govt funded insurance.

in those cases, where there's no money to be made off you (my circumstances) You are told that an ablation is not the first thing done nor the Gold standard of treatment but is rather, a "quality of life" surgery.

I told the cardiologist that all of my friends on the various afib forums are going to be SO relieved to learn that a risky painful surgery is not actually needed but is really just an option if you don't want to have to deal with afib symptoms or meds that may cause side effects you dont like.

They (the insured patients) are being given a totally different spiel: episodic afib will get worse the longer you keep going back into it, it remodels your heart, so you should immediately get an ablation to avoid further episodes!!! hurry hurry rush rush, give us all your money, now!!

that's my cardiology rant for today.

it's sad that I have lost so much of my faith in drs as healers, they are now just drug pushers and aggressive business ppl/salesmen to me.

what a terrible state of affairs, really, it's supposed to be a healing profession.

I hope that can be turned around, I hope we find our way back to that.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• 4 months later...

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly why antidepressants (or withdrawing from antidepressants) causes heart palpitations. I developed a very particular pattern of palpitations after starting Lexapro and they are still occurring even though I have been off Lexapro for almost 3 months. Does anyone have a theory about why this could be happening? Nothing abnormal shows up on my EKG but I'm sure the palpitations have some kind of "physical" cause rather than being caused by pure anxiety.

Prozac 30 mg for many years.

Short two-week taper to 20 mg followed by 5 day washout period. (January 2017)

Lexapro 10 mg for 25 days. Stopped due to intolerable side-effects, notably palpitations and tinnitus. (February 2017)

Two day washout period before reinstating Prozac at 40 mg. (February 2017)

3 weeks later end up in ER due to severe palpitations and dizziness. (March 2017)

2 weeks of insomnia and intermittent akathisia. (March 2017)

Stabilization of Prozac dosage at 20 mg. (April 2017)

Gradual recovery and eventual return to work. (December 2017)

Reinstatement of Prozac dosage back to 30 mg gradually over 5 years. (February 2024)

I never had them while on a full dose, only when in w/d so I always thought they were the result of anxiety. 

I can't answer your question, but it is a good one, I look forward to an explanation also!

• 2 months later...

The averages mean how many days in the week that I had palpitations.  It doesn't reflect how often in the day I had them, which meant more work/journaling.

Av. for year 1:   1.4

Av. for year 2:   1.0

Av.  for year 3:  1.7

Av. For year 4:  2.4

Av. For year 5:  3.8

Av. For year 6:  4.7

As you can see it has been getting worse the last 4 years.  The palpitations range from mild to moderate to high and at times severe, especially when I wake in the early hours and I have to get up.  Keep in mind, however, that we are all different and my results may not apply to you - I hope not!

Edited by scallywag
moved explanation about averages to start of post

I'm really sorry to hear your palpitations have been getting worse the past 4 years. It does seem like they have been increasing as you taper down, but that could be pure coincidence. As they say, "correlation is not causation".

Lexapro 10 mg for 25 days. Stopped due to intolerable side-effects, notably palpitations and tinnitus. (February 2017)

3 weeks later end up in ER due to severe palpitations and dizziness. (March 2017)

Reinstatement of Prozac dosage back to 30 mg gradually over 5 years. (February 2024)

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has managed to get a diagnosis for heart problems caused by antidepressants (or antidepressant withdrawal). During a recent health check my EKG was flagged with possible myocardial ischemia (reduced blood flow to the heart) but follow up tests showed my coronary arteries and heart structure to be normal despite the EKG being abnormal. The Cardioloigist I saw couldn't explain why this was and just said we should keep an eye on it. I'm thinking about seeing another cardiologist for a second opinion and was wondering if anyone thought this might be worthwhile. Even if I can't prove a link to the drugs it would be good to hear a doctor acknowledge my symptoms are real and not all in my head...

8 hours ago, Alpha23 said:

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has managed to get a diagnosis for heart problems caused by antidepressants (or antidepressant withdrawal). During a recent health check my EKG was flagged with possible myocardial ischemia (reduced blood flow to the heart) but follow up tests showed my coronary arteries and heart structure to be normal despite the EKG being abnormal. The Cardioloigist I saw couldn't explain why this was and just said we should keep an eye on it. I'm thinking about seeing another cardiologist for a second opinion and was wondering if anyone thought this might be worthwhile. Even if I can't prove a link to the drugs it would be good to hear a doctor acknowledge my symptoms are real and not all in my head...

Alpha, 

I still have irregular heartrate since withdrawing from Pristiq in 2011.  Currently, I've been consistently in the 90-130 range, with postural changes (sitting or standing being much higher). It changes by 30+ points in a minute or less.  BP is usually steady.  

I was hospitalized for bradycardia in 2012. Found no cardiac abnormalities. They always want to blame it on thyroid even though my thyroid numbers look ok.  

Recently, I went to an urgent care because my HR was so high and I was very symptomatic (light headed, weak, etc).  I was hoping for some fluids, which have helped in the past.  However, the doc did an EKG and sent me by ambulance to the ER to test for cardiac enzymes indicating a heart attack.  The paramedics did another ekg en route and triage at hospital did another.  Both said they were normal (as well as the one done at urgent care) and I left without being seen.  

Years ago, I was referred out to a cardiac electrophysiologist, but I never followed through.  After years of seeing so many doctors for these crazy symptoms with nothing accomplished, I became very jaded.  

The literature and prescribing info is very clear that SSRIs and SNRIs can cause cardiac problems, but I THINK it would be very difficult to prove causality.  

I do understand that you want to know what is going on, though.  It's very scary and causes terrible anxiety.  

If you haven't, you might check to see if yours is postural.  It might give doctors more to go on.  I'm not sure, though. 

My apologies if I'm reiterating anything already covered. 

I wish you the best.  

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks Barbara. I'm sorry to hear about your cardiac symptoms. It must be really hard having your heart rate change 30+ points in a minute or less. My heart rate is relatively stable, but my heart beats so forcefully I can feel it reverberating throughout my body. I also have a very tight chest, and recently find it hard to breathe. When this all started back in March I ended up in ER. They found a slight arrhythmia and the cardiologist said he could feel my heart beating really hard against my chest bone. However, he couldn't find any other abnormalities, so blamed it on stress. I'm no stranger to stress, but this feels completely different. My heart keeps on beating hard whatever I'm doing or feeling at the time, so I'm convinced it has some kind of physiological cause related to the SSRIs I've taken. Unfortunately, I think many doctors have been brain washed to believe SSRIs are perfectly safe and cardiac problems are extremely rare even though more and more evidence suggests this is not the case.

I may be clutching at straws somewhat but I really hope I can find a doctor who can explain to me what's going on. I'd also love to hear from anyone on this forum who might have an idea about what is going on and what, if anything, can be done about it. I think I saw a video in which Alto mentioned heart problems being caused by autonomic dysfunction, so it would be good to hear her take on it.

I did find the following article but it is very technical and may be a little difficult to follow for the lay man.

Cardiovascular Considerations in Antidepressant Therapy: An Evidence-Based Review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2493295/  

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has a rapid heart rate while standing? Now I am fixated on thinking I have pots. This all started after quitting celexa a year and a half ago amongst other symptoms.  Ear pressure and dizziness being the worst. 

I can go from 60 bpm sitting  to 110 standing. My average standing rate is anywhere from 85-110

I don't know if it's anxiety or not. I check obsessively all day long when I'm having a bad anxiety wave as I am now. When my husband checks when I'm not anxious it's not that high. When I check it always goes that high. I just wonder why it doesn't stay high when seated if it's just anxiety. It's worse in the morning.. After a hot bath.. And when waking up middle of night to use restroom. I am totally fixated on this and so anxious bit also kind of  convinced its not just anxiety. Wondering if anyone else has this symptom. 

To note.. I only notice and hyper fixate on it when highly anxious. I'm also traumatized a bit from hyperthyroid attacks in which I have high heart rate when standing or doing any activity 

I saw my cardiologist today but he doesn't even check for pots. Holter. Monitor was normal last year. 

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

• 3 months later...

Bumping to see if anyone suffers from this? Still having it and its very frustrating. Today just getting my kid ready to go outside, my heart was 120bpm. Then when just lightly playing in the snow it went up to 150bpm and stayed around 115-140 . Its very uncomfortable. I have had a holter test and EKG. May get an echo, just sick of all of this. 

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

I'm sorry no-one has replied!  And sorry to hear this.  I have had rapid pulse in the 90's and 100's and has been in the 100's each day for a long time now usually anything up to 120.  Yes, it is very uncomfortable and makes you feel stressed out all the time.  I also get arrythmia at times which is also uncomfortable!

I have had echo and ecg and they found a long Q interval (skipped beats) which I have discovered is a side effect of my a/d, not sure if it applies to all a/d's.  It couldn't hurt to get the tests done, and at least ease your mind that it isn't serious.

How did you taper Celexa?  My doc wanted me to switch to that just recently, but I saw it was a capsule!!  I think that was his plan - you can't cut and file a capsule!

• 2 months later...

What is it that causes palpitations when tapering Prozac?

Is it simply increased anxiety that is either caused by the drug or by being anxious about symptoms  -  or is the drug somehow affecting the heart?

Cant think it is the latter as had none when starting to take the drug or increase the dose,

I didn’t have any palpitations until about 6 weeks after starting 10% taper each month.

Now they vary in intensity but are happening most nights when I lay down and often during the day as well.

H2003 - 2014 40mg Flouoxetine    2014 reduced to 20mg daily

Jan 6 2018 changed to oral solution and started taper of 10%  = 18mg

Feb 1 dropped to 16mg - Too much reduction

Feb 28 dropped to 14.4mg - Too much reduction

Waited till 28 April - dropped 5% to 13.6mg. 
June 20 - 12.8mg 

July 20 - 12mg Long hold due to house move

Oct 7 -  11.2mg  No WD.       Nov 1 - 10.4mg  

Dec 2018 - April 2020 no proper records.  April down to 5.6mg Too much -  bad WD

Omeprazole since 2013 for duodenitis, Hydroxychloriquine since 1983 for Lupus, Thyroxine for Lupus Thyroid since1983, Ramipril & Bendroflumethiazide for BP (not neccessarily spelt correctly) since 2000  I Also Fish Oil and Multi Vits

Well I almost wish I hadn’t asked now!

Seems it is the drug that is causing the palpitations, although don’t understand why I didn’t get any problems when I first started taking it.  

I remember five years ago when I dropped from 40mg to 20mg I had similar and went to my GP.  I ended up having ECG and Echo but there was nothing major found - just a slight arythmia.  But by the time I had the tests the WD had subsided as I had done a fast drop.  So am concerned that as this taper is going to go one for at least another 9 months that the palpitations will continue and maybe I should do the tests again.

I read through the the review above that Alpha23 shared (well as much as I could understand befor it got too technical)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2493295/

and was quite worried at the damage these drugs may have done and how much is permanent.  No one knows for sure what SSRIs do to various parts of the brain and body and it is scary.

Is there anything that I can do to lessen the palpitations?  

H2003 - 2014 40mg Flouoxetine    2014 reduced to 20mg daily

Jan 6 2018 changed to oral solution and started taper of 10%  = 18mg

Feb 1 dropped to 16mg - Too much reduction

Feb 28 dropped to 14.4mg - Too much reduction

Waited till 28 April - dropped 5% to 13.6mg. 
June 20 - 12.8mg 

July 20 - 12mg Long hold due to house move

Oct 7 -  11.2mg  No WD.       Nov 1 - 10.4mg  

Dec 2018 - April 2020 no proper records.  April down to 5.6mg Too much -  bad WD

Omeprazole since 2013 for duodenitis, Hydroxychloriquine since 1983 for Lupus, Thyroxine for Lupus Thyroid since1983, Ramipril & Bendroflumethiazide for BP (not neccessarily spelt correctly) since 2000  I Also Fish Oil and Multi Vits

• Moderator Emeritus

I've found that magnesium supplements can help, although it can take up to several weeks to have a noticeable effect.  At night time I added a pillow or two because they felt worse when lying flatter.  I had a big patch of palpitations a couple of months back, and then they just went away. 

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy