Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia

peggy

Hi everyone. I inadvertently went into withdrawals from 2mg Cipralex/Lexapro after taking out of date medication. I reinstated two weeks ago but I’m still getting palpitations yet I’m not feeling anxious. I’m not concerned about a heart condition as I’m sure this is likely related to withdrawal/reinstating. I’d just very much appreciate some reassurance?

• August 2004:  Citalopram 20mg for "postnatal anxiety".  
  • May-Sept 2011:  Adverse reaction to the contraceptive pill, causing severe anxiety and panic.  Was switched from 7 years on Citalopram to Lofepramine briefly, then Mirtazapine 30mg.  Was an anxious, depressed, suicidal wreck and got misdiagnosed with GAD by a psychiatrist.  I now realise my symptoms were all medication related, as opposed to so-called psychiatric diagnosis.
  • October 2011:  Pregabalin 450mg and propranolol 40mg TID added by psychiatrist. 
  • Feb 2013: Tapered off pregabalin 450mg; stopped propranolol.
  • July 2013: Switched from Mirtazapine 30mg to Cipralex 10mg in a two-week cross titration, which caused horrific withdrawal symptoms lasting months.
  • April 2015: Increased to 15mg Cipralex. 
  • 2017:  Was treated by a clinical psychologist for medication-related trauma and slowly tapered down to 2mg Cipralex over the next four years. 
  • December 2021: Switched from Cipralex tablets to drops to facilitate further tapering; this caused withdrawal reaction lasting approx 6 weeks. 
  • May 2022: Experienced severe withdrawal reaction after inadvertently taking expired drops.  
  • 3rd June 2022: Reinstated 2mg Cipralex drops. Stabilisation hindered by drinking alcohol socially; didn't realise impact of this. Nil alcohol since September 2022.
  • Supplements: Cycling Magnesium, Omega 3, Evening Primrose, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, Zinc, Ashwagandha, Sage.  Had been taking these prior to withdrawal incident.
  • Feb 2023:  Relatively stable and aiming to hold on 2mg Cipralex and with a view to tapering down in 2024.  Tapered off Ashwagandha.

16 hours ago, conkaia said:

Hi everyone. I inadvertently went into withdrawals from 2mg Cipralex/Lexapro after taking out of date medication. I reinstated two weeks ago but I’m still getting palpitations yet I’m not feeling anxious. I’m not concerned about a heart condition as I’m sure this is likely related to withdrawal/reinstating. I’d just very much appreciate some reassurance?

I got palpitations while I was recovering back in 2012. Doctor had me on a holter monitor for 24 hours and there was a button I was supposed to press whenever I felt a palpitation. In the end my test came back normal. I should point out my hormones were messed up at the time and my testosterone was really low.

I can only reassure you that if it is withdrawal related it will definitely improve as you acclimate back to your medication. Only way you can truly get peace of mind though is if you get checked out by your doctor.

Since you got a new prescription for Cipralex, did you check to see if the manufacturer was the same as on your expired bottle? I often noticed that I felt different whenever my AD came from a different manufacturer. I believe the fillers can alter the total amount of the medication you actually absorb.

2008: March, Klonopin .5 mg to 1 mg

2009: Dec, CT Klonopin

2010: full year heavy alcohol use

2011: Jan - withdrawals start

2012: Apr- bad wave, start zoloft 50

2014 to 2020: Switch ADs

Sertraline 100mgs >Lexapro 20 mgs>Prozac 20 mgs >Lexapro 20

2021: Sertraline 25 mgs

2022: Mar. Cut dose down to 12.5

End of May, starting to crash physically/mentally.

Hey thanks so much for replying. Palpitations have been nowhere near as bad today, I definitely had a bad day yesterday. I’m also peri menopausal so its a minefield to get to root of what’s causing symptoms! I definitely feel it’s withdrawal related though. I don’t trust  doctors, I only consult them if I absolutely have to. 
That’s a good point you make re generic medication. I again inadvertently went into withdrawal back in 2014 after being switched to generic escitalopram. So made sure I’m prescribed branded Cipralex since then. I recently switched to drops to taper down from the last 2mg. Ignored the warning to throw away after eight weeks and had been using for six months. Literally went through a month of hell before realising the cause, I feel like such an idiot. 

• August 2004:  Citalopram 20mg for "postnatal anxiety".  
  • May-Sept 2011:  Adverse reaction to the contraceptive pill, causing severe anxiety and panic.  Was switched from 7 years on Citalopram to Lofepramine briefly, then Mirtazapine 30mg.  Was an anxious, depressed, suicidal wreck and got misdiagnosed with GAD by a psychiatrist.  I now realise my symptoms were all medication related, as opposed to so-called psychiatric diagnosis.
  • October 2011:  Pregabalin 450mg and propranolol 40mg TID added by psychiatrist. 
  • Feb 2013: Tapered off pregabalin 450mg; stopped propranolol.
  • July 2013: Switched from Mirtazapine 30mg to Cipralex 10mg in a two-week cross titration, which caused horrific withdrawal symptoms lasting months.
  • April 2015: Increased to 15mg Cipralex. 
  • 2017:  Was treated by a clinical psychologist for medication-related trauma and slowly tapered down to 2mg Cipralex over the next four years. 
  • December 2021: Switched from Cipralex tablets to drops to facilitate further tapering; this caused withdrawal reaction lasting approx 6 weeks. 
  • May 2022: Experienced severe withdrawal reaction after inadvertently taking expired drops.  
  • 3rd June 2022: Reinstated 2mg Cipralex drops. Stabilisation hindered by drinking alcohol socially; didn't realise impact of this. Nil alcohol since September 2022.
  • Supplements: Cycling Magnesium, Omega 3, Evening Primrose, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, Zinc, Ashwagandha, Sage.  Had been taking these prior to withdrawal incident.
  • Feb 2023:  Relatively stable and aiming to hold on 2mg Cipralex and with a view to tapering down in 2024.  Tapered off Ashwagandha.

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2015 at 8:19 PM, Horns85 said:

I have begun having heart palpitations after eating, eating anything really. Also, as soon as I lay down in bed. It's not so much that my heart is beating faster or slower, just feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. Very uncomfortable.

Could it be due to digestion?

This description is very accurate.. I suffer exactly like this. The heart is not fast, but I feel it in my chest. It stays for half an hour or more and then goes.. It comes after drinking tea and smoking in the morning only, but the rest of the day is less

I don't speak English fluently but I speak to you with google translator

2005-2006:Diversity in taking medications
 2006-2019 Seroxat 20 mg
 2020-2021 Cipralex 15 mg
 Mar 2021 it has decreased from 15 mg to 12.5 mg/Aug 2021 9mg/Sep 12, 2021 8mg/Oct 12, 2021 7mg / Nov 12, 2021 6mg / Dec 12, 2021 5mg / Jan 12, 2022 4.5mg /Feb 12, 2022 4mg/Mar-Apr 3.5mg/May 3mg The beginning of severe withdrawal

/sep 23, 2022 2.5mg

On March 19, 2023, I ended up in the emergency room, with severe palpitations, panic, and severe mental and physical fatigue, then I went back to a dose of 20 milligrams of Seroxat to this day.

• 7 months later...

This doesn’t happen to me every single day but sometimes when I’m laying in bed and I turn my heart will skip a beat. Other times it’ll happen if I stand and sometimes even when I sit. It’ll be about 10 skipped beats maybe before it goes back to normal. I’ve had plenty of tests done within the last 10 years: ultrasound, Holter monitor for varying lengths of time, and millions of EKG’s. I was even told the pvc’s weren’t originating from my heart. Sooo another withdrawal symptom I’m guessing?

2005 - Paxil, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Effexor, Prozac (trying to find the right medication)
2005 - Trazadone
2005 - Lunesta
2005 - Mood elevator (forgot the name)
2005 - 2010/2011 - Prozac 20 mg
2011 - Lexapro 10 mg
2012- 2018 - Lexapro 5 mg
2018- Oct 2022 Escitalopram 20mg
Nov 2022 - Fluoextine 20 mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy