Antidepressant-induced demotivation, depersonalization, & other side effects

Nikki

Hi....

Some question re: Celexa. Does it make anyone feel lke a zombie if taken during the day? Has anyone had insomnia from taking it at night? I have heard both.

What is it called (begins with an H) for not feeling motivated and fatigued?

thanks

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 2 months later...

I'm beginning to wonder if the stress I had while studying at university was partially to the AD's I was on.

I was originally put on paroxetine for social anxiety and depression, two years before I went to university. At uni,I managed to get through 1st year ok, but in 2nd year I started having really bad anxiety around the exams. I attempted suicide and dropped out.

I believe my anxiety was due to the fact that I felt fatigued, unmotivated and had poor memory/concentration. This made if difficult for me to study, which caused anxiety because I wanted to do wellin my exams.

When I was at school I always hated exam revision, and generally left it to the last minute, but I never got really stressed out about it. I was able to revised all day the day before the exam and retain enough info to pass. At uni, I had real trouble getting the info to stick and I could barely study for more than an hour, it just seemed to take so much effort compared to how much it used to take. Of course, I understand that university is more demanding than school, but I still wonder if the ssri caused some of these problems.

I know that they can increase anxiety, but I don't think it did, at least not in an obvious way. I think it was the more subtle side effects that were the problem.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Impaired memory is definitely a side effect of antidepressants for many people. There is also an emotional blunting that occurs, which could very well lead to reduced motivation. Antidepressants can also trigger suicidal thoughts and actions, especially in teenagers and young adults.

I'm so sorry you went through all of that at such a turning point in your life.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Demotivation, emotional blunting, and sluggishness (as well as sexual dysfunction) were the reasons I wanted to go off Paxil. I just didn't give a dang about anything.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your replies. :)

I'm just trying to figure out why I had/have such a hard time studying at university? The times were I have managed to struggle through, I passed with flying colours, yet knowing this makes no difference. Sometimes when I sit down to study I just feel so overwhelmed, like it took so much effort for me just to open the books, then when I try to read them I can't take much in, or when I try to recall what I've just read I can't remember it, or just get spaced out and forget what it was I was trying to remember in the first place.

Why could I sit for hours at school, memorizing everything off for the exam the next day without getting too stressed, but now my brain turns to mush after about 5 minutes.

I'm thinking maybe I could defer again for a few years, so I can relax and come off Effexor nice and slowly. Then hopefully my cognitive functions will return and I'll be able to finish my degree without too much stress. On the other hand, I could be completely wrong - maybe it's just me being weak and lazy, and I have to be a stronger person. Maybe I just want to defer as a way of avoiding anxiety. Help :(

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Thanks for your replies. :)

I'm just trying to figure out why I had/have such a hard time studying at university? The times were I have managed to struggle through, I passed with flying colours, yet knowing this makes no difference. Sometimes when I sit down to study I just feel so overwhelmed, like it took so much effort for me just to open the books, then when I try to read them I can't take much in, or when I try to recall what I've just read I can't remember it, or just get spaced out and forget what it was I was trying to remember in the first place.

Why could I sit for hours at school, memorizing everything off for the exam the next day without getting too stressed, but now my brain turns to mush after about 5 minutes.

I'm thinking maybe I could defer again for a few years, so I can relax and come off Effexor nice and slowly. Then hopefully my cognitive functions will return and I'll be able to finish my degree without too much stress. On the other hand, I could be completely wrong - maybe it's just me being weak and lazy, and I have to be a stronger person. Maybe I just want to defer as a way of avoiding anxiety. Help :(

It's impossible to pinpoint with any precision as to what is causing your problems with cognition. Any of the psych meds can interfere with so many aspects of cognition, thoughts, feelings, and energy levels. I don't think what you are experiencing is a character defect ("weak and lazy"), but I do think many people can successfully slowly taper off of a medication (emphasis on slowly) and develop better coping skills. I don't think it has to be an "either/or" proposition.

There are many excellent resources for learning how to deal with life stressors on this site and on the Internet. I wish you all the best. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

jr, it sounds like anxiety about doing well is getting in the way of your studying.

This is a psychological roadblock, not a brain disorder.

Withdrawal syndrome can magnify anxiety.

Have you tried meditation and so forth to give your nervous system some help managing anxiety?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

You're right - I'm afraid I won't do well. That has been the problem all along. I could probably pass with my "impaired cognition" but that's not good enough for me - I need to pass with flying colours.

I took an online mindfulness meditation course, which was quite good, but I stopped practicing. I am going to try and start it again. When is best time to do it - morning, evening, both?

I've also been trying to fill in TEA forms, but I've let that slide too.

Have you any advice on how I can get away from this fear of failure/not doing well? How can I just let whatever happen, happen?

You're right - I'm afraid I won't do well. That has been the problem all along. I could probably pass with my "impaired cognition" but that's not good enough for me - I need to pass with flying colours.

I took an online mindfulness meditation course, which was quite good, but I stopped practicing. I am going to try and start it again. When is best time to do it - morning, evening, both?

I've also been trying to fill in TEA forms, but I've let that slide too.

Have you any advice on how I can get away from this fear of failure/not doing well? How can I just let whatever happen, happen?

Have you tried the online Mindfulness Meditation course from UCLA? If not, please check it out. It is excellent: MARC

I believe that your mindfulness practice will be helpful with fear of failure - because it allows us to practice remaining in the present moment instead of anticipating fearful thoughts of the "what if's". As far as your practice is concerned, each individual chooses their time of practice that best suits their lifestyle/situation. Some people like mornings, some like evenings, and some like both. Experiment and let us know how you are doing. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

Practice mindful meditation whenever you fell pressured or whenever you have a moment. Riding on the bus is a good time.

The more you practice, the more resilient you become to stress.

Thank you for the link, it's very good!

I've downloaded some guide mediation podcasts and bought a kindle book, which is based on research from UCLA, for using mindfulness for ADHD.

I'll try and practice it more regularly, hopefully it will help.

• Administrator

There are iphone apps for relaxation and sleep, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/555-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-withdrawal-insomnia/page__view__findpost__p__23667 and after; no doubt there are some that run on Kindle.

Thank you for the link, it's very good!

I've downloaded some guide mediation podcasts and bought a kindle book, which is based on research from UCLA, for using mindfulness for ADHD.

I'll try and practice it more regularly, hopefully it will help.

You are most welcome! The online course at MARC is excellent as well as the free meditation podcast read by Diana Winston who heads the MARC program at UCLA. She is wonderful! :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

Actually, the more I think about it the more I think me doing super well isn't the only issue. I'haven't done just as well in some exams before ( statistics, bleh) and I didn't take it that badly. On the other hand, the thought of having to sit down and study turns my stomach. I'm convinced this is partially down to the cognitive impairment from the ssri's.

• Administrator

One way or the other, reducing stress via meditation or other techniques will help.

Perhaps it will help you see your way to accepting slightly lower marks, given your temporary cognitive impairment, and not beat yourself up over your current limitations.

• 4 years later...

Do SSRIs cause laziness?

History:

Trazodone:  150mg -> 0mg

Wellbutrin: 300mg - > 0 mg a day

Fluoxetine: 60mg  -> 40 mg

• Administrator

Yes, I've felt this. 

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I've also been and sometimes still am like this.  The feeling is more that everything is such an effort.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...
  • Altostrata changed the title to Antidepressant drug side effects and adverse reactions
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 1:49 PM, Djibril said:

who has had depersonalization or dissociation when starting to take an antidepressant?

Sorry I did not read this until now. I had these symptoms within a week of starting fluoxetine; it stayed with me throughout but was intermittent. Now I am almost off, it doesn't happen any more. It's a horrible symptom and it is vital to find a way to feel grounded during it, dealing with any associated panic or anxiety, and remind yourself that it is a symptom that will pass and it is not a representation of your mind or personality. 

2012: 2 weeks of paroxetine, I cannot recall the dose. Strong side effects, stopped cold turkey, had intense, horrible withdrawal thereafter

2012 to 2016: Fluoxetine 40mg daily, sometimes 20mg daily, a couple of bad tapers under doctor's advisement, increasingly bad withdrawal symptoms with each major dose change

Oct 2016 to June 2017: 10-month reinstatement of 20mg fluoxetine daily to stabilize. A very difficult period but withdrawal gradually improved

July 2017: At 20mg (100%), started a linear tapering regimen using water titration (20mg fluoxetine into 300ml of water).

June 2019: Currently at 0.200mg (1.00%). I have many symptoms, most I attribute to fluoxetine, some to withdrawal, and the rest to hypothyroidism. Continuing to reduce anyway.

July 2019: Jumped from 0.066mg (0.33%) to 0.000mg (0.00%); I'm now free of the poison.

My introduction thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14226-kittygiggles-generic-prozac-fluoxetine-stabilization/

Thank you, how many Time Take you fluoxetine. Which symptoms have you got when you have dépersonnalization ? 

Hi @Djibril. I responded to your questions in the thread linked below; I hope you find it useful :)

2012: 2 weeks of paroxetine, I cannot recall the dose. Strong side effects, stopped cold turkey, had intense, horrible withdrawal thereafter

2012 to 2016: Fluoxetine 40mg daily, sometimes 20mg daily, a couple of bad tapers under doctor's advisement, increasingly bad withdrawal symptoms with each major dose change

Oct 2016 to June 2017: 10-month reinstatement of 20mg fluoxetine daily to stabilize. A very difficult period but withdrawal gradually improved

July 2017: At 20mg (100%), started a linear tapering regimen using water titration (20mg fluoxetine into 300ml of water).

June 2019: Currently at 0.200mg (1.00%). I have many symptoms, most I attribute to fluoxetine, some to withdrawal, and the rest to hypothyroidism. Continuing to reduce anyway.

July 2019: Jumped from 0.066mg (0.33%) to 0.000mg (0.00%); I'm now free of the poison.

My introduction thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14226-kittygiggles-generic-prozac-fluoxetine-stabilization/

• Altostrata changed the title to Antidepressant-induced demotivation, depersonalization, & other side effects

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy