SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fasting

BentBuddha

I don't know how true this is, but I read online that when you are fasting, it triggers starvation mode in your body which can trigger your flight or fight response - cortisol goes up - especially if you fast longer than 2 weeks. Again though, I don't know if this is true - just what I read online. But I have also read there are benefits to fasting as well - like detoxing, ect... but tread carefully

Medicine History

June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.

Medicine Current

2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016

Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

I do not advocate fasting.

I just found that I had no appetite and that certain foods triggered bad side effects for me.

I have had severe abdominal pain and fasting helped that.

SSRIs affect the gastrointestinal system and can cause gastroparesis.

The GI system has so many serotonin receptors - I read somewhere.

Getting your gut back to health is important but difficult.

Finally before tapering one should be in good nutritional status.

Unfortunately with chronic abdominal pain maintaining good nutritional status is difficult.

prescribed Prozac for Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 1995

switched to Paxil in 1998, Elavil was added

switched to Effexor in 2004

tried to get off Paxil in 2001 - could not

tried to get off Effexor in 2007 - could not

was on Prozac and Elavil from 2008 to 2015

thought i withdrew from Prozac and Elavil without too much agony

now realized that although I tapered....I am having horrible symptoms

thinking about reinstating as I write this....

• 2 weeks later...

I have also read people's success stories who have said that fasting sped up recovery process for them, but everyone is different, but try it if it helps you, but make sure you are still getting adequate nutrients in the period of eating.

Exactly. Now is the time to take back our health. Our best medicine is ourselves.

Buspur         Jan  2017 on and off.

Mirtazphine  Feb 2017 15mg once

Trazadone    Feb 2017 25mg once

Ambien        Feb 2017 5 mg once

Seroquel      Jan 2017 5mg once

Paxil            Feb 2017 5mg twice

Currently drug-free :)

• 3 weeks later...

How to get your gut back normal lynx ? I have tried hard but its noe getting even a slight better or slight better is not better enough.

Tried l glutamine, probiotics, laxatives , bicasodyl, ayurveda, Homeopathy ... All are waste for none.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

• Moderator Emeritus

Neurogenesis is not desirable in withdrawal.

If you are done with your tapering, and done with your withdrawals, and want to extend your life and prevent Alzheimer's, go for it.

If, however you are in a space where your brain is throwing out symptoms left and right, then the last thing you want is to grow new neurons.

Just imagine a bunch of baby neurons sprouting to try and balance your homeostasis - then imagine how upset they will get when you starve them of nutrients.  I have a theory (and Alto has the science) that growing new receptors / neurons which have been previously flooded or pruned by the drugs - is the source of many withdrawal symptoms.

While your nervous system is reshaping itself - is not the time to add "neurogenesis" into the mix.  Hence nootropic drugs are not advisable, either.

So - if you want to increase your symptoms - try intermittent fasting.

If you want to get better and survive your withdrawal - minimize your symptoms using harm reduction - then keep it stable.  Simple, healthful foods every day, at the same times every day.

THEN, once you are well, and out of the woods, and post your success story, THEN try all the intermittent fasting that you want. 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Topics merged, from "Fasting and its effects on withdrawal," by theloneranger86

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I highly disagree with telling people not to fast as a lot of members have found it beneficial. First of all your one size all approach jan carol is not taking into consideration people with major sensitivities and telling people to 'eat healithly' is utter nonsense. I have to abstain from eating many fruits and veg because I react to them. I have major histamine problems and have found by not eating and fasting with lots of water has helped me enormously. I did post and say that it doesnt help everyone You clearly dont understand enough about how neurons are grown. We create new neurons by excercising by reading, by challenging our brain and also by fasting. Whatever theory you have is not backed by any science.

Every person is different and I would please suggest you refrain from stopping people discussing how they have benefitted from it.

Jan carol you clearly dont understand enough about the topic of neurons and neuro-science. I would highly suggest you research the area before typing a paragraph about it. As humans, by performing simple tasks repeatdely we create new neurons. You are growing neurons every day by challenging your brain in a variety of ways. Actually the very thing you want to do is create new neurons. Its the receptors and the neurons that have been damaged through the withdrawal of ssris or being on ssris long term. This has been written about by David Healy,books by baylisa frederick and many people have done lots of research in the uk. I am also someone who has spent years researching this. We have neurons and receptors in our gut which is why eating is so problematic for many of us. I myself have benefitted from giving my digestive system a rest and many others have as well. I simply have to put my foot down if you continue to tell people that if they want to increase their symptoms they should fast. Can that happen to some people, yes. Does it happen to all people no. Its the exact opposite for myself. Like with everything that has been suggested here, people should do what they feel is right for them and for their body and if it makes things worse simply stop.

I would please stop spouting 'theories' that you may or may not have. When doctors have already written extensively about the subject. The way to heal our brain is by creating new long healthy neurons. As someone who has studied in a University in Cardiff with one of the best neuro science centres in the world who is on the cusp of finding a cure for Alzheimers. I find it incredibly offensive for you to be dismissive of the very research that is now being undertaken in this area. I am sorry but there are many intelligent people on here and to talk to people as if they know nothing about anything is not what I joined this forum for. If this post has broken rules its been because I have seen people berated for bringing this topic up. When some of the adminisitrators go around telling people they have taken 11 years to heal from ssris but have not explained they were on other types of medication which distorts the brain as well. Therefore they are not being totally honest with what they are saying.

It would be a shame to be kicked off here for being honest but I simply cannot be a part of a forum that doesnt allow sensible conversation about proper real life research. People come on here to say what has worked for them and as our bodies are all different and unique, you cant possibly advocate that things cant possibly work for them, are you inside their bodies?? If they work, they work. If they dont, they dont. This process is truly fascinating. I cant touch supplements, but I feel better for fasting. Do you understand how you cant possibly tell me what I am doing is wrong. You have no right to do that for people. You are here to make sure people are informed but you have no formal qualifications, none of us do. We are trying to help eachother as best as we can. I cant and wont listen to your advice about supplements because I react every time. I accept that for other people it has saved them. Am I dismissive of their journey, no. we all heal in different ways. Do you see my point??

Also I have read back on these posts from years ago and the information being given is totally and utterly factually incorrect. Yes we all have nervous system dysfunction. The nervous system is controlled by the receptors and neurons. When the neurons are damaged they misfire and thats what causes the chaos in the nervous system. This is not a theory this is fact. There was a post about the circadian rhythm and sleep. Histamine is the receptor that helps control sleep patterns. The ssris actually interfere with the functioning of the receptor and therefore many of us end up with sleep and inbalances with production of histamine in food. This has been well documented, scientificaly researched. Our problems lie with the regulation of the receptors and neurons. This is basic neuro-science. A lot of you are looking at the effect rather than looking at the cause which controls the effect

• Administrator

historygal, I believe the moderators are well aware the base cause of withdrawal syndrome is the effect of the drug on neuroreceptors.

However, we can't do anything about that. Furthermore, because the neuroreceptors are crucial to transmission of signals to the entire complex web of hormonal regulation, dysfunction among neuroreceptors becomes a much larger neurological dysfunction, possibly affecting other hormonal systems. This is often manifested as dyautonomia.

We try to explain this in a way that's most understandable and useful to the community. Please help us do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I would also add that the brain heals itself through neuro-plasticity (thats all been well researched and documented and we actually can help the neurons grow by doing the above things mentionened such as repeadetly performing simple tasks to challenge our brain as long as we are not over exterting ourselves. There isnt a single supplement for neuron or receptor damage, they can help but the answer is time and patience. Also people have the wrong end of the stick as to what IF is about. You dont decrease nutrient or calorie in take. You eat the same amount of calories in a smaller amount of time. So you might fast from 6pm the night before to 12 pm the next day then you would have a 6 hour window to eat. One of the reasons it may be problematic for some is due to blood sugar level spikes, so I am saying to trust your body, if you feel a spike in symptoms simply do not continue

• 6 months later...
On 14/03/2012 at 1:22 PM, BentBuddha said:

I'm currently studying (and just begun practicing) Intermittent Fasting (IF) in an effort to heal my brain. Just so ppl know, I eat 3meals every day, so I don't restrict my calories or amount of food. What I do, is I stop eating at 3pm, drink nothing but water until 3pm the next day, and then I eat 3 meals before bed time that night.

In your article, it mentions the downregulation of serotonin receptors. I find this facinating how the meds do that.

I know that one of the benefits of Intermittent Fasting is increase of "brain derived neurotrophic factor" (BDNF) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-derived_neurotrophic_factor

which creates new nerves and symapses in the brain. After some more research I found an article about a study they did on obese rats using IF. Turns out obese rats have less dopamine receptors than lean rats. The cause being that the rats set off pleasure signals so much that the brain downregulates the dopamine receptors. This appears to be a similar process that happens when we take these meds, except (depending which med you're on) they down regulate the serotonin receptors. So, in this study, they found that using IF on the rats caused upturn in domapine receptors. The fasted state is a little unpleasant and stressful state (24hr fasts are mild) - the exact opposite of pleasure. So the brain creates new dopamine receptors so that pleasure can be experienced from less. I find that fascinating. We can actually experience more pleasure in life, through this deliberate and regular brief abstinence from it. (This could explain why kids who have computer games and junk food are easily 'bored'). It's my belief that those who lose weight with intermittent fasting do so not only because of caloric restriction (if they eat less), but because they are more easily pleased by food so don't need to eat as much.

I still need to do some more digging to see if i can find any links with upregulation of serotonin receptors. I'm hoping with increased levels of BDNF that this is indeed the case. Even if I don't find any studies, I will find out via my own experiment on myself. I'm definitely experiencing what it's like to lower levels of serotonin receptors. It's unpleasant and I want my old self back and brain :(

I should mention that I'm 3wks into a Paleo/Gaps diet also. The GAPS theory being that a toxic gut environment leads to toxic brain via the blood/brain connection. I'm assuming that it's going to be more difficult for the brain to heal itself if it's toxic. It could be that those who take a long time for their brains to heal, do so because of the condition of their gut. And, that the condition of their gut + brain toxicity lead them to feel they needing these meds in the first place.

Just throwing some theories out there. Hope you're all having a good night :)

Some very good points ! Thank you !

Howare you getting on with the IF ?

Current Meds: Levothyrox 50mcg; Suppliments: Vit D,Vit B6, Magnesium

2014 21 Oct 2015 Nov  Lexapro  -   5mg including the taperring off but not slow enough

2015 Zoloft 25mg  Nov  9 days ; 25 May 14 days of 25 mg
2016 27 Oct - 29 Oct 18 Lexapro   5-6.5 mg  slow taper down to 1mg or less  

2018  Nov- 2020 Jul - Free of All psychotropes 

2020 Jul - 2022 Jan Ixprim 37.5mg 1 to 3 times/ daily; Jul 20 - jul 21 Tramadol 50mg x 3 tappered off slowly

2021  Clinical Trial of Therapeutic Cannabis Apr - May

2020  Gabapentin 10 Aug 500 mg; Sep 600mg; Oct 700mg: Dec 800- 900mg.

2021  Gabapentin Jan 900mg; 28 Jun 800mg; 14 Aug 700mg; 28 Aug 600mg; 9 Sep 500mg; 23 Sep 400mg; 9 Oct 300mg; 29 Oct 270mg; 4 Nov 250mg; 14 Nov 200mg; 22 Nov 170mg; 8 Dec 200mg;

2022 Gabapentin 3 Jan 300mg; 24 Feb 200mg; 23 Mar 180; 4 Apr 168mg; 12 Apr 150mg; 23 Avr 135mg; 1 May 100mg;

9May 90mg; 6 Jun - 4 Sep 80mg down to 50mg; 5 Sep 100mg; 22 Oct 80mg taper down to 20mg 28 Dec

2021 - 2023 Amitriptyline 1 Jul 1mg titrated to 6 mg  on 27 Sep; 20 Oct 7mg; From 28 April tappered slowly to 9 Jun 6mg; 28 Jul 5.5mg; 31 Aug 5mg; 6 Sep 4mg; 21 Sep 3mg; 3 Oct 2mg; 18 Oct 1.5mg; 1 Nov 1mg; 15 Nov 0.75mg; 29 Nov 05mg, 11 Dec - stopped it; 19 Dec 0.3mg reinstated; 3 Jan 0.25mg; 8 Jan "jumped off"

• 1 year later...

Hey. in my opinion you should only do longer fasts when you are already ''fat adapted''. This happens on a ketogenic diet. If not fat adapted it may cause too much stress. When i started the keto diet i felt stress the first week, but it was a good thing. Must say i did it when i was 8 months off. Would never be able to do this stressfull week the first 5 months or so. It would have killed me haha. The weird thing was the week i started the keto diet i felt normal again for the first time in 8 months. After that stressfull adaptation week i went back to my normal withdrawal self but with some improvements. The keto diet in combination with intermittent fasting solved my sleeping problems within 2 weeks and that stayed. Also made things a lot less worse in general, helped for obsession big time. Didn't help for the anhedonia and no libido though, which now after this diet is my remaining symptom.

Used zoloft for 5 months. Started with 25mg, upped to 50 and finished with 75mg. Tapered in one month time. Finished taper at 15/04/2018

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, at the same time of trying to reduce ADs, I did a intermittent fasting / low carb keto type diet as I thought at the time it would be helpful.

Turns out it gave me side effects such as palpitations- then i thought that was due to withdrawal and reinstated my AD. turns out it was going very low carb. The other thing it caused was poor sleep.

In hindsight thing it was all too much at once. I kind of feel better doing a more general healthy eating (not counting carbs / fasting etc) but gentle exercise and generally not eating too much junk food. 

Another thing is it can be overwhelming and stressful, counting carbs / times of eating / as well as counting meds and for some people with issues such as potential for eating disorders or OCD these strict eating plans could have the potential to trigger off those kinds of things as well. 

here are some side effects of a low carb diet, see how similar these might be to withdrawal, and the impact of both together?

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-diet-side-effects.html

I found the note about serotonin and sleep interesting. and relevant

This is just my personal experience above, in case it helps others. I found IF quite useful at other times in life just not at the same time as withdrawal.

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

• 3 months later...

I’ve been doing some intermittent fasting for other health reasons and wonder if it might help with tapering/withdrawal symptoms? Maybe help stabilization happen more quickly after a taper? 

Effexor XR 75 mg, Halcion .25 mg- Oct 2018
Lexapro 20 mg, Xanax .5 mg- 2008
Paxil, Xanax 2000
cod liver oil, magnesium

keto diet i think it helps ! i m starting it !

Mars 1997- juillet 1997 Anfranil 25 mg, Tranxène 5 mg, Librium 10 mg, sulpiride 50 mg (juillet 1997)

Oct 1997-nov 1998 Anfranil 25mg, Tranxène5mg (rétabli ces deux médicaments seulement)

Nov 1998-mar 2000 Drugs off ( tapered with my psychiatrist help)

Avril 2000-juin 2001 Anfranil 25mg, Tranxène5mg (réinstatement these only drugs after 18 months off)

jul 2001-sep 2010 Prozac 20mg, Tranxène 5mg (passé de l'anafranil 25 à Prozac 20mg depuis juillet 2001)

jun 2007- jan 2010 Tapered Tranxène 5mg ( quick tapered  it while steel on Prozac 20 mg(les choses se passaient bien, pas de retraits)

sep 2010-mai 2011 Prozac 20mg conique (les choses se passaient bien sans retrait)

mai2011-mar 2012 Dugs gratuits (les choses étaient bien, pas de retraits)

mars 2012 rétabli Prozac 20mg (too late reinstatement = adverse reactions ) 

mar 2012 -apr 2016 prozac 20 mg on / off plusieurs jours cold turkeyed ( going on it back & forth )  et réintégration (effets indésirables et embrasement, neurotoxicity ) 

avril 2016-2018 lexapro 10mg on / off depuis sep 2017 lexapro tapering (effets indésirables et embrasement)

• 11 months later...

I started intermittent fasting (16/8) a couple of weeks ago and it brought me out of the most awful debilitating withdrawal depression. I skipped one day and fell right back, took me two days of IF to get on better track again. I'm not well by any means - long way to go there - but I'm better than I was. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Being Muslim, I'm supposed to fast one month a year -  it is compulsory for all Muslims. I haven't fasted for years, because of the anti-epileptics I take. Having a medical condition absolves me.

Reading the above I might give this a try this year. Ramadan, the month of fasting, is just a week from now. I'll obviously have to change my routine so my anti-epileptics can be taken also.

We fast from before sunrise to sunset. Where I am, this translates into from 3.00 AM to 7 PM. So basically a 16 Hour fast. Fasting would mean no food, no water, nothing for 16 hours. My family already does this, so it isn't a problem for me to join in. It's just one extra seat at the table. Even my father who is 80+ does it and has no problems.

If I am able to fit this in to my day, I'll report back what I note. 

I should say, I'm already in the habit of taking only two meals a day: Breakfast and dinner. I skip lunch. I've found this to be quite convenient. In between I do take coffee and tea, water. Nothing else. No snacks. If I take heavy snacks, I cant have a good dinner, so I tend to avoid them. Plus I focus on not eating processed food. Anything from a box, I try to avoid, as well as junk food.

Let's see how it goes.

2012- Citalopram 40- Axal 0.5mg  2017- Stopped Axal CT. No WD.

2017 - Effexor XR 75 mg.

For Epilepsy:1983 - Tegral 400 mg/day  2009 - Lumark 1000 mg/day- Biotim eyedrops for glaucoma.

27 April 2019 - Effexor XR taper started. 40 beads removed - 16% - 63mg20 May - 10% - 20 beads. 57mg / 3 June - 10% - 20 beads - 51mg / 18 July - 6% -10 beads - 48mg / 20 July - 7% -10 beads- 44.5mg/ 1 Sept - 75 mg alternate days = 37.5 mg/ 14 Sept - 75 mg every 3rd day = 25mg/  22 Sept - Effexor XR stopped.

27 Oct - Tegral = 300mg. Citalopram = 30 mg. Lumark = 500mg Busron = 10 mg. Somna = 2.5 mg

1-Jan 2020 Tegral 200mg BD- Citalopram 20mg OD- Lumark 500BD

25 Apr 2020 Tegral 200 mg BD- Citalopram alternate days 20 mg and 10 mg OD - Lumark 500BD

May June 2020 Dropped to 10 mg citalopram due to drug shortages.

Early July 2020: CT'ed citalopram - nonavailability of medicine. Tegral + Lumark remains same as before.

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2012 at 10:12 PM, Altostrata said:

Interesting stuff. Note it is not offered as beneficial for people who are sick. Presumably people who choose to do intermittent fasting or calorie restriction start out in good health.

Before you embark on anything like this, or any kind of purging, cleansing, or purification ritual, think about this: If you had a puppy who was sick, would you do this to your puppy? If not, don't do it to yourself if you're trying to recover from neurological damage.

But when you fast a rational length of fasting (12-16 hours) overnight, you actually allows your body the quiet it needs and the rest it needs and rest from digestion which takes a lot of energy and be available to fixing processes. When we fast only 8 hours and digest food all day long we, in my opinion, slow down significantly the recovering process. Thats also why I eat heavy stuff only during one hour in the day and the rest of the time only fruits and vegetables that takes so little time 30 minutes to digest. It gives the body wonderful conditions to heal (in comparrison to western diet daily routine) :)

2010-2015 Cipramil 20-40mg. half-year break in the middle which was tough.

2015-2020 Venlafaxine 150-225 mg. Venlafaxine duloxetine cross taper details 

150 for half-year then 225 for a period than stabilized in ~187.5 (1.25 pills) for 2 years than reduced to ~168.5 (1.125 pills).

3.2020 - Duloxetine 60mg.

19.05.2020 - started to taper - 59! 20.5 - 58.5. June 2020: 57. end of June - 55.5

Summer 2020: 5.7 - 54, 9.7 - 52, 12.7 - updose to 53+, 19.7 - 52.3, 26.7 - 51.8, 4.8 51.3, 11.8 - 50.8, 15.8 - updose to 51.0, 17.8 - 50.5, 19.8 - 50.3, 19.9 - 49.3

Autumn-winter: 7.10 - 46.8, 1.12 - 45.8, 17.12 - 44.4, 30.12 - 42.4, 21.1 - 40.8. 17.2 - 40.1, end of feb - 38.6,

springmid march updose to 40.1, 28.3 - 38.6, 15.4 - 37.5, 14.5 - 36.8, end of may 37.5+ and after a week 39

Summer 2021:  mid of june again to 36.7, end of july 39.5.

11.10.2021 - 40.7 📌

• Administrator

Whatever. If it makes you feel better, do it. If it makes you feel worse, stop doing it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else tried Fasting ?

Hello,

I am in the midst of withdrawal symptoms (since Dec 2018) from stopping 30mg Paxil (paroxetine) too rapidly. Re-instating had no effect once I got crushed (and hospitalized) with the onset of withdrawal symptoms.

But ! There is one thing which made a difference since Dec 2018, which is the short-term fasting (3 days) I did about a month ago.

In the second day of fasting I became noticeably less ridden with anxiety and the daily crying disappeared. Almost magical it felt.

I stopped the fast at day 3 because I current cant afford to lose any more body fat (I am 1m68, 53 kgs - around 5'6" and 106 pound)

These important improvements lasted for about 10 days. Then the anxiety returned to its all-day-long pattern and the crying spells also returned.

I suspect a longer fast could make these improvements more stable and long-lasting.

Personally I want to do a longer fast , but currently cannot, I am skin and bones at the moment.

This could be something to consider for someone in withdrawal who still has more pounds/kilos to lose.

Let me tell you, fasting is a breeze compared to the hellish emotional states of withdrawal.

Has anyone here tried this (fasting) and seen results ? Anyone considering it ? Let us know if you try it and notice improvements Thanks

There is much research going on into fasting and its impressive health benefits (rejuvenation and repair of worn, damaged cells - aka autophagy)

Edited by ChessieCat
removing video/cc added topic title

paxil 30mg since 01/2005

paxil taper 30mg to zero, 1 month's time, OCT 2018

paxil re-start 30mg, DEC 20 2018  -  upon entry in psych hospital (crisis)

+ current meds :

paxil 15mg (lowered gradually since dec 2018)

trazodone 100mg

lorazepam 1mg

lyrica (pregabalin) 25mg

+ ulcerative colitis medication : asacol (mesalazine) 2x500mg per day, since 1999

• ChessieCat changed the title to Fasting
  • 3 months later...

I am doing 16/8 intermittent fasting and it helps me a lot. Better mood, higher energy levels (suffered from severe fatigue) and less anxiety. I basically just skip breakfast and the snacks between my 2-3 meals and I find it quite easy to do. I found out that breakfast and also coffee made my severe morning fatigue considerably worse. I used to snack a lot during the whole day and I know now thats not good for my body. Of course I still have fatigue periods and bad days but in overall I see good improvements with it at the moment. I will observe it further, maybe I also have a window at the moment 

Because of my positive experiences so far, I want to try a 7-day fasting cure.

I saw a documentary about the remarkable healing effects of fasting but the pharma industry for obvious reason has no interest in investing in such studies. Except when studies say a combination of drugs and fasting helps (cancer treatment).

Fasting can also be stress for the body and I guess increase WD. Everybody is different. No recommendation or advice, just my experience so far. I am already 20 months off, which is maybe also a factor.

AD since 2006 (16 years old). Prescribed on Citalopram, Fluoxetin(2x), Opipramol, Paroxetin. All with CT except Paroxetin (fast taper).
Last medication was Paroxetin for 3 years. Tapered fast:
- October 2018: 10mg -> 5mg
- December 2018: 5mg -> 2,5mg
- February 2019: 2,5mg -> 1,25mg
- March 2019: 1,25mg -> 1 mg
Since May 2019: 0 mg

Supplements:
- Omega 3 (2200mg EPA + DHA )                  - Vitamin D 2000 i.u. and Vitamin K2 50 mcg            - Vitamin B12 (100mcg)
- Zinc (4 mg)                                                    - Magnesium-Bisglycinat (100mg elemantal Mg)     
30 months off and improvements but still setbacks.  Link to my introduction: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21876-malon-14-years-of-ssri-since-youth-last-was-paroxetin/?tab=comments#comment-486450

• 2 weeks later...

I think the benefits of fasting go beyond the increase in BDNF and the growth of new neurons. Fasting also induces autophagy in the brain, a process where old and damaged cells are essentially recycled by the body. I would imagine in aftermath of SSRI use there are a tremendous amount of dysfunctional cells which need clearing and replacing. This is of course speculation, but i really do think fasting can help you along in recovery (providing you as an individual tolerate it well).

Started Lexapro 5mg Mid March 2020

Came off Completely September 2020

Hospitalised september 2021

Slowly worked up to 50mg lamictal and 60mg Prozac

reduced to 20mg Prozac September 2021

Holding 20mg Prozac and 50mg Lamictal for a good while to stabilise. November 2021

• 2 months later...

So i just completed a 48 hr fast drinking only water. I didn't feel this constant and awful feeling like I'm going to be on the verge of a panic attack for no reason, although its more like feeling a massive excess of energy, again totally independent of my mood etc. 

All i got on the fast was feeling kinda tired and being a bit foggy in my cognition but i have that even without fasting. 

Within a hr of eating my first foods again, nuts/seeds, dates, 1/3cup of rice, sardines all in all about 600-800 cals this very uncomfortable inner restlessness of mind and body kick start up again. I'm in bed and i literally cannot stop moving my hips and legs otherwise i feel like I'm literally gonna spin out of control with this outrageous OCD/Panic type feeling ive been having since withdrawls and loose consciousness /awareness of what im dojng. 

Is been 6 weeks now since i last took a dose. So not free from symptoms, but getting better every week on average.

Anyone got their own experiences with fasting/other things they found interesting? 

Venlafaxine 75mg Nov 2020 - March 2021

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess that it is your body being put into ketosis from the fast, which calms the restlessness and panic. When the body is in ketosis it produces more GABA, which is a calming neurotransmitter (the ones benzos target). Many people who eat a ketogenic diet report a feeling calmer and clearer headed. I have noticed if i eat a lot of junk food my agitation and restlessness skyrockets.

Started Lexapro 5mg Mid March 2020

Came off Completely September 2020

Hospitalised september 2021

Slowly worked up to 50mg lamictal and 60mg Prozac

reduced to 20mg Prozac September 2021

Holding 20mg Prozac and 50mg Lamictal for a good while to stabilise. November 2021

thanks! I did a 84hr one later on and found that once i started eating my symptoms came back where as during the later stages on the fast I felt pretty good

Venlafaxine 75mg Nov 2020 - March 2021

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just found out this about fasting. 

From Dr. Stephen Phinney on Problem Solving a Ketogenic Diet (Part 3)

Timestamp:  19:37

This link goes directly to where he is talking about fasting in the video:

https://youtu.be/k0NE8WEH44A

Here is the transcript for this section - see bolded text near the bottom:

The last problem I wanna talk about
is one that has cropped up in the last year or two
and that is, it seems that on the web
that people interested in the ketogenic diet
are having a love affair with fasting
and that fasting might be quote intermittent fasting
or it might be prolonged periods of fasting
and some people will recommend that
if you wanna lose weight and get your ketones high
you might fast for a week or even a month.
Now the human body is very well
adapted to fasting
from an evolutionary perspective as when...
You know, people ran out of food
and had to wait a week, or two, or a month
till the next harvest, or the next successful hunt,
being able to get by on body energy stores is a good idea.
But the misunderstanding here
is that when humans fast beyond one day
they don't just live on body fat
they also break down muscle.
And sometimes...
And some people misrepresent the muscle loss as being minor
but in reality, in the first month of total fasting,
and even in the first week of total fasting,
at least half of the weight loss
that you see on the scale isn't coming from body fat,
it's coming from lean tissue.
This is not new information.
There's been really top notch research done
even 50 years ago
that looked at the composition of weight loss with fasting.
And this has been demonstrated over and over again
this is not controversial information,
there's not solid data on the other side of the argument,
but, for whatever reason, you know, people say,
"Well fasting's cheap and it's easy,
"so why don't we just do it?"
But the issue then is you lose lean tissue,
and as we learned from The Biggest Loser Study,
you know, the group of people that went on that TV show
and did radical amounts of caloric restriction and exercise,
attempting to lose huge amounts of weight,
is when they came back and studied them five years later
that extreme combination of exercise and fasting
resulted in a permanent reduction in resting metabolic rate.
So not only did they turn their thermostat down
during the time of privation, years later,
even after many of them have regained
much of all their weight,
they still have a depressed resting metabolism.
So, the solution for this, from our perspective,
is don't go for short-term quick weight loss.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 9 months later...

I started water fasting a few years ago.  Started with 24hrs, did a few 72hrs and got up to a few 7 day fasts.  Work and stuff can really get in the way of those.

I had a sense olanzapine was making this process harder than it ought to be, but that was probably why it was necessary.  I was able to reverse prediabetic blood sugar levels a couple of times this way.  

Olanzapine causes utter havoc on the metabolism.  High insulin levels and excessive fat storage follow.  Dietary adjustment can help but will not mitigate the hormonal chaos it induces.  I put on 30kgs in less than two months after I started.  Thanks "mum".

Over nearly a year since reaching zero, I noticed some weight drop but not much.  Lately though I've felt again that it was really time to shed my belly fat and get fit again.  While I had tried intermittent fasting in the past, building up to longer fasts, I am finding my body responds much better without the drug in it (which I could also say is true for anything I could think of :P)

Doing one meal a day is less stressful than longer fasts, although they can be interspersed, and making that meal keto some days is good for the weight loss as well.  I also find it less stressful than the calorie-restricted but not time-restricted soup diet I used last time I shed a lot of pounds.  Although I did start getting used to burning fat on that diet, bicycle riding in the morning before breakfast.  My body was not happy doing this - couldn't think, felt crap, "what are you feeding me!"  It seemed it had entirely forgotten how to burn fat.  Gradually the fog started lifting, over years.

I've lost 5kg or so in this round, and the best bit is that my energy levels are going up massively.  I am doing a ton of housework that has been impossible for many years, and working out as well.

It's not just weight loss though.  https://medium.com/personal-growth/fasting-and-autophagy-9f4e97596ed4 is very interesting to me, as it feeds into a theory that my R.S.I arose from the disruption to AMPK levels the drug induces.  

Anyways I find fasting an essential weapon in recovering from the p-drugs nightmare.

@ChessieCat I don't think things like keto are intended to be used indefinitely.  The Fung article above addresses your point about muscle loss.

I think what I am liking most about intermittent fasting at present is that it's sustainable.  I haven't been able to bridge 3 day fasts before.  Getting rid of this dangerously unhealthy belly fat is feeling really good.  Cutting down alcohol intake again sure helps.  I have done longer fasts for autophagy before, which the shorter fasts don't really induce so much, but those can wait till later.  Fascinating link between autophagy, chronic fatigue and maybe R.S.I/arthritis/cartilege damage and AMPK.

Edited by hayduke

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 7 months later...

I have been holding the lower weight now without much effort and eating patterns are set much better now.

Doing more physical work helps too, and the drug induced CFS seems to be largely gone now.  I would say I am comfortably keeping off more than 15kg less than I had around the end of the taper.  More may come but the improvement is already night and day.  I had lost heart for a while that the weight would come off after zero but with a bit of work it really has, just took a bit longer than I thought.

I am still interested in doing some more long fasts when the pace of life allows but it is great to see this much healing already.

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

I don't know, but it's strange that depression causes anorexia. Maybe it's a reaction from the brain to try to fix itself by stop eating. 

2020-8...Prescribe Paxil 20mg.
2020-9. Diagnosed with schizophrineha and prescribe olanzabine 5mg.(stop paxil) and i almost go crazy and back to paxil 20mg with olanzapine 5mg.
2020-11..stop paxil again and hell broke loose again and diagnosed with bipolar and prescribe olanzapine 10mg and lamotrigine and back to paxil 20mg.
2021-2..quit olanzapine and lamotrigine and start tapring paxil. 10mg.
2021-3..tapring paxil 5mg..
2021-4..quit paxil..
2021-5..feeling not good and reinstated to 10mg.

2022-1...off Paxil 1.5 mg dose

2023-4...Relapse due to toothache, i did not take paxil

2023-5.. Symptoms improved.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:09 PM, baderaalfaydi said:

I don't know, but it's strange that depression causes anorexia. Maybe it's a reaction from the brain to try to fix itself by stop eating. 

That wouldn't make sense as an evolutionary adaptation though, would it?  I don't know either, but it seems more likely to me to be a body image mismatch induced by abuse and trauma.

17 hours ago, hayduke said:

That wouldn't make sense as an evolutionary adaptation though, would it?  I don't know either, but it seems more likely to me to be a body image mismatch induced by abuse and trauma.

I don't know, but fasting is scientifically proven to protect the brain by replacing glucose with ketones as fuel. 

Also, there is a technique similar to fasting but more radical that was used in the past to treat mental illness, which is insulin shock therapy. 

2020-9. Diagnosed with schizophrineha and prescribe olanzabine 5mg.(stop paxil) and i almost go crazy and back to paxil 20mg with olanzapine 5mg.
2020-11..stop paxil again and hell broke loose again and diagnosed with bipolar and prescribe olanzapine 10mg and lamotrigine and back to paxil 20mg.
2021-4..quit paxil..

6 hours ago, baderaalfaydi said:

I don't know, but fasting is scientifically proven to protect the brain by replacing glucose with ketones as fuel. 

Also, there is a technique similar to fasting but more radical that was used in the past to treat mental illness, which is insulin shock therapy. 

The insulin shock therapy has got nothing to do with fasting.

In fact, there therapeutic mechanism of action was uknown. It is still not conclusive if it ever produced any positive results.

In addition, the insulin therapy also resulted in some deaths. 

Leonard Roy Frank, an American activist from the psychiatric survivors movement who underwent 50 forced insulin coma treatments combined with ECT, described the treatment as "the most devastating, painful and humiliating experience of my life", a "flat-out atrocity" glossed over by psychiatric euphemism, and a violation of basic human rights.

Current Meds: Levothyrox 50mcg; Suppliments: Vit D,Vit B6, Magnesium

2014 21 Oct 2015 Nov  Lexapro  -   5mg including the taperring off but not slow enough

2015 Zoloft 25mg  Nov  9 days ; 25 May 14 days of 25 mg
2016 27 Oct - 29 Oct 18 Lexapro   5-6.5 mg  slow taper down to 1mg or less  

2018  Nov- 2020 Jul - Free of All psychotropes 

2020 Jul - 2022 Jan Ixprim 37.5mg 1 to 3 times/ daily; Jul 20 - jul 21 Tramadol 50mg x 3 tappered off slowly

2021  Clinical Trial of Therapeutic Cannabis Apr - May

2020  Gabapentin 10 Aug 500 mg; Sep 600mg; Oct 700mg: Dec 800- 900mg.

2021  Gabapentin Jan 900mg; 28 Jun 800mg; 14 Aug 700mg; 28 Aug 600mg; 9 Sep 500mg; 23 Sep 400mg; 9 Oct 300mg; 29 Oct 270mg; 4 Nov 250mg; 14 Nov 200mg; 22 Nov 170mg; 8 Dec 200mg;

2022 Gabapentin 3 Jan 300mg; 24 Feb 200mg; 23 Mar 180; 4 Apr 168mg; 12 Apr 150mg; 23 Avr 135mg; 1 May 100mg;

9May 90mg; 6 Jun - 4 Sep 80mg down to 50mg; 5 Sep 100mg; 22 Oct 80mg taper down to 20mg 28 Dec

2021 - 2023 Amitriptyline 1 Jul 1mg titrated to 6 mg  on 27 Sep; 20 Oct 7mg; From 28 April tappered slowly to 9 Jun 6mg; 28 Jul 5.5mg; 31 Aug 5mg; 6 Sep 4mg; 21 Sep 3mg; 3 Oct 2mg; 18 Oct 1.5mg; 1 Nov 1mg; 15 Nov 0.75mg; 29 Nov 05mg, 11 Dec - stopped it; 19 Dec 0.3mg reinstated; 3 Jan 0.25mg; 8 Jan "jumped off"

10 hours ago, baderaalfaydi said:

That's all fine but please don't conflate fasting with anorexia.  I would leavethe theory to the experts.

9 hours ago, hayduke said:

That's all fine but please don't conflate fasting with anorexia.  I would leavethe theory to the experts.

Anything the body does is the result of evolution. Fever, for example, kills many, but it is certainly an attempt by the body to repair itself 

2021-4..quit paxil..

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy