If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Working (as in getting a paycheck) through withdrawal.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#37 Christian

Christian

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

I'm so lucky I work from home. But I will have to travel soon and the thought of being on an airplane with this anxiety and inability to concentrate properly scares me. If this doesn't clear up soon I might have to look into disability. 6 weeks into WD plus reinstating again! Luckily I can sleep again after two weeks of insomnia.
Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.
Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.
Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.
Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until
12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.
Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.
Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.
2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days
6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron
10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

#38 Mort81

Mort81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

Work has been a very stressful topic for me. At first during withdrawal I was in acute pain and discomfort. Somehow I managed to work 2 or 3 days a week for 5 months. It was hell. I think only because of the severe pain. My body was going into shock from my taper. Ive been almost off work for a full year and although I'm improving I need to get much stronger before I can have any kind of schedule. My family sees how difficult this is because Im not doing any of the my leisure activities either like sports and exercise that ive loved my whole life. Honestly if I were strong enough to exercise and work withdrawal wouldn't be so tough for me. My symptoms are still way too strong. Not making any money or collecting disability has been the roughest part. Even when i gently push myself it backfires, I end up in bed for a week. Hopefully this year the strength comes back.
Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th Clonazapam. Currently 0.10mg daily. PPI Dexlant 20-30mg for last 29 months currently at 30mg

#39 Rockingchaircat

Rockingchaircat

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationEugene Oregon

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:40 AM

I've been going through both benzo and antidepressant withdrawal, all the while staying on a full time job.  I have a VERY UNDERSTANDING boss.  It wasn't easy in the least. But I kept going, because my family needed me to provide. I seem to be through the worst of it, and have been enjoying a significant improvement in my symptoms due to a lightbox.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

#40 Christian

Christian

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

Just curious if anyone out there filed for work disability. Its one thing sucking it up and going to work with the anxiety. But my brain is like 70% now not to mention the insomnia. My Psych today said she can type up a work disability request. But she isn't saying I have WD of course. It's GAD. Does that fly with employers ?
Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.
Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until
12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.
Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.
Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.
2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days
6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

#41 Songbird

Songbird

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

I think it depends on the symptoms you are having, and their severity.  Some people find having to work helps them by taking their mind of their symptoms, while for others it is impossible.  When I crashed I had to take time off work, and then went back part-time at first, for just a few hours a day, which I found very difficult, as I had akathisia and anxiety, so it was almost impossible to sit at my desk and concentrate. 

For years I worked in a high pressure IT job, and over the years the stress and pressure got worse and worse - stress from this job was how I ended up stuck on an AD.  After my crash when I had updosed and stabilised and started tapering again, it dawned on me that I was never going to be able to get off the drug as long as I stayed in that job.

I now work part time in a completely different job, and I'm sure there is no way I could do my old job now.  I have so much fatigue, I don't think I could manage working full time.  If I work a full day now, I tend to be exhausted the next day and need to rest and recover.  While in IT I had to be really sharp to manage multiple projects and complex technical designs, but I couldn't do anything like that these days with my memory problems and cognitive fog.  I now have the stress of trying to survive on hardly any income, but I have less stress in other ways, and the hope of being able to get off the drug eventually.

2001-2002 Jul - Feb Aropax 2003 Feb-Dec Citalopram 2004 Jul Aropax 20mg
2005-2007 various failed tapers  2007 Feb 20mg … Nov 6mg
2008 Jan 5.5mg Feb 5mg Mar 4.5mg Apr 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
2009 24 Jan 12.5mg … 18 Dec 6.3mg     2010 30 Aug 6.15mg 28 Nov 6 mg
2011 20 Feb 5.9mg … 26 Dec 5.3mg       2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg … 15 Dec 4.4mg       2014 18 Jan 4.3mg … 8 Dec 3.45mg
2015 Jan 3.4mg Apr 3.3mg May 3.2mg Jul 3.1mg Aug 3.0mg 18 Sep 2.9mg 24 Nov 2.8mg 25 Dec 2.7mg

2016 5 Feb 2.6mg

Blog: http://anxietystuff.weebly.com

#42 Mort81

Mort81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:32 AM

I am in the midst of filing my papers. My pychologist is the one who diagnosed this as WD and labeled it SSRI discontinuation Syndrome. HE also sent a letter to my new GP , the old one I fired who got me into this mess, than denied it and treated me awful.  But he sent the letter to the new GP with Evidence and Scientific Articles backing it up. The GP is the one filling out the forms and I dont know If insurance will allow it anyway.  Im not sure if GAD and Depression could fly with insurance companies but Im pretty sure any WD related issues are just as easily dismissed.  One of the harder things we have to deal with during WD is the lack of medical and financial support. In this regard we really do get the short end of the stick.  Its possible its best for a doctor to put Chronic Fatigue or something better understood . Maybe GAD will be good enough . Let us know 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th Clonazapam. Currently 0.10mg daily. PPI Dexlant 20-30mg for last 29 months currently at 30mg

#43 Christian

Christian

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

I have read insomnia might work online. I would think the WD diagnosis might work better than GAD. Though hard to get I am going to try and see a Dr that was posted on this site that can help treat WD. My work disability plan explanation has a stipulation that you cant be awarded benefits for mental illness if it can be treated with SSRIs and/or therapy. A GAD filing wont work then but WD might.

Anyone else out there have any experience with filing for work disability?  It seems based on the little response folks either toughed it out and worked or had to quit work and live from savings, credit cards or perhaps friends and relatives.     

#44 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationReading, UK and also Southwest, UK

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

I haven't worked since June 2015, and since our relocation back to the UK am now in the process of finding temp admin work until I can get permanent/contract work in my field.

This is scary (definitely).  I'm not concerned about temp admin work, but I am about returning to my regular work which is highly stressful.

I agree that going to work is a great and productive distraction from the constant health anxiety ruminating; which like a lot of others on this website; I am the first to admit I do.

Wondering how my body will react to being back in the office environment.  Will I be dealing with even more aches and pains in the months to come????

<p>Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days. Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves". Nov 15th 2016 Re-started Therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT. Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017. Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment starts - anti-Candida diet starts as diagnosis of Candida Related Complex (CRC). 24 March 2017 DETOX (3 weeks) started for anti-Candida to help "re-set" my gut. April 2017 "Genova Testing 3 day stool sampling" Comprehensive Analysis.  Gut Cleanse - 6 weeks.  Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram) when feel ready.

#45 ppppp9

ppppp9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

From the time I started my taper to 2 weeks go, I've had no w/d symptoms.  It's just with my last drop that I've experienced some symptoms but nothing significant.   Work is crucial so it's important for me to taper very, very slowly and in small fractions each time. My job isn't very stressful and I have been coping well but I find the w/d symptoms a distraction which I don't like.    I'll know better how I feel with the next taper which I won't do for another 2-2-1/2 months.  I plan on microtapering with 2-3 months holds in between to stabilize and feel strong and good again.  I don't feel anxious about getting off meds fast.  Hopefully, this works.

.5 mgs. Risperdal, Feb. 1/16 10% cut or less., mild w/d symptoms (cut too much), Apr. 1/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, May 15/16 5% or less cut, no w/d symptoms, Sept. 1/16 less than .25 mgs., no w/d symptoms, feeling great.  Risperdal tablets are disintegrating so shaving tiny tiny amounts is how I do it.

2012 to Aug./15 tapered 75 mgs. Effexor to nothing, felt great for 3 months then hit an anxiety patch late Oct., couldn't sleep, shaky all the time, couldn't concentrate. Nov. 1/15 reinstated tiny fraction, Feb. 1/16 8 beads, June 1/16 4 beads, Sept. 1/16 3 beads, no w/d symptoms, Feb. 10/16 2 beads, great no w/d symptoms, taking this really really slow.

200 mgs. Trazodone for sleep.  Will taper very slowly when Effexor and Risperdal are done with proven stability.

Taking Magnesium Citrate, Omega 3 Fish Oil  and Ashwagandha (has calming effect, promotes good sleep & feel energized)

#46 lavendertealatte

lavendertealatte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

This is a question I'm am asking now, because I will be beginning work training soon. It seems like it will be a good distraction based on your experiences.  I fear though because I remember the days when I was depressed and couldn't make it to work.  Withdrawal symptoms have been different though, and so far not severe like a full blown depressive episode.  But still.  Somewhat traumatized from the early experience.  This time around, I have a husband supporting me but I hardly want to bum around all day while these symptoms go on.  Like others have said, I too tend to ruminate.

27 years old.

Lexapro, 15mg.  Took for almost three years, 2013, 2014, 2015 for anxiety and depression that began in 2013.

Starting taper, 9/28/15.

Went down to 10mg, then 5mg by end of October I think.  Last pdoc appointment, November.

On 5mg.  Felt okay for awhile, started experiencing anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January.

Next pdoc appointment with new pdoc, 3/4/16.

#47 Cheryl

Cheryl

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWaterford Michigan

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:57 AM

Hi everyone...

I am still working in community mental health and made a choice to leave. The added stress of this field is way too much for me.
I have been at a couple interviews and may be taking a position in a hospital.
This job will be working with a team in children's O.R. My people contact would be with staff and not patient contact. More of a working with "things" job as opposed to "emotional people".

My question for anyone is this: This will be an afternoon shift. Is there a possibility that I may function better because of morning cortisol spikes?
Also, would the time of my cortisol spike change due to a different sleep schedule?

Any information or feedback would be greatly appreciated,
Cheryl
I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg**

#48 Anerros

Anerros

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

Hi I finished tapering my meds recently I am working as a computer programmer. Feel as if the cognition fog has damaged my self confidence a bit i'm worried about whether or not I have brain damage,

and if I am going to have the same learning abilities I have had before. Part of it may be anxiety because of my illness which made me take these poisons in the first place. 

Definitely a big challenge dealing with all the w/d symptoms as well as the relapse of old emotions/obsessions/thoughts. 

Came very close to quitting my job because of it a couple of times.

Trying to remind myself this is only temporary and will probably get better as time goes on.

In short mainly trying to survive by forcing positive thoughts through such as the above another example would be that even if 

I have some sort of damage it is something that probably can be repaired.

But it's definitely hard.

Since about 2010-2009 up until 2016 I have been on 200 mg seroquel and am not sure if 50mg serenada or 100mg. At the beginning of 2016 I dropped the serenada and During March 2016 began lowering dosage in seroquel. ever since may 2016 completely clean thank god. :)  

#49 elbee

elbee

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg Area, FL, U.S.

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

Work (and specifically, not working) is probably what I stress about the most. The crazy part is right now I have savings and I'm fine for a while. But I can feel my anxiety build whenever I start thinking about work (even volunteering). I think my fear is of failing and/or not being able to function at the capacity I have previously. i created and owned a company for 15 years. It did well for a while, then ultimately I had to shut it down. I partly attribute the failure to my decreased capacities (my meds "pooping out,"). There is no way I could operate in the way now that I did then. Confidence? Clear decision making? Leadership? Strategy? Negotiations? I can barely decide how much green there should be in the bananas I buy!

I'm just SO scared to be in a position where people are counting on me, because I don't know "which me" will show up day to day, hour to hour. I've found a way to "push through" (both acedemically and professionally) since I first started having panic attacks in college. Maybe the meds worked better before? I "self medicated" with alcohol as a supplement but I quit drinking 2 years ago and I keep that off the table, but perhaps historically that "helped?" I was younger? IDK. I just feel like I don't have the push in me anymore. And I am definitely much more limited mentally and much more emotionally raw / volitile than I was.

Is some of this a male / man (U.S.?) thing? My ego keeps saying I need to just suck it up and pull my sh*t together. I see people all around me with who knows what problems and they are working. And my gosh, how some of you push through and do what you do with the symptoms you're experiencing!?!? Again, that inner voice starts shouting that there is SOME type of work I could do, even if it's the type of labor I'm not accustomed to . . . my pride is getting in the way.

I've gone on way too long. I'm hoping to get this thread active and hear more from others on how you have dealt with this. Thanks to those of you who have commented previously.

1990 (age 20, in college) - First major panic attacks (diagnosis, PD, GAD, Depression). Prescribed 100 mg sertraline, 2.5 mg lorazepam. Tried to reduce meds several times but essentially took these meds for about 25 years.
Summer of 2014 - Quit drinking alcohol and 3.5 month taper off all meds under doc supervision. October 2014 - Return of severe panic attacks, with 8-month "SSRI/Benzo chase" to try and stabilize. June 2015 - Found a drug "reinstatement" (more drugs than I had ever been on) that stopped the panic attacks, but was left with severe anxiety, depression, and numerous side effects: 150 mg sertraline (Z=Zoloft), 15 mg mirtazapine (R=Remeron), 2 mg clonazepam (K=Klonopin)

-- Begin new taper -- 12/11/16: Z=100 mg, R=6 mg, K=1 mg, 11/13/16: Z=100 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1 mg, Z=100 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 9/1/16: Z=112.5 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 7/27/16: Z=125 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 5/1/16: Z=135 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 4/10/16: Z=150 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 3/1/16: Z=150 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=2.0 mg

My introduction thread.

#50 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:19 AM

I will likely start working beginning of August all things going to plan, lol.

It's been a year since I last worked in a high pressure environment which is the nature of the work I do.

I will need 'ramp up' time to get up to speed and performing at the level I was previously. However, I really don't know what to expect in terms of how my mind/body will react to deadlines and pressure again.

I have just had a week of interviews which I found very stressful.

<p>Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days. Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves". Nov 15th 2016 Re-started Therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT. Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017. Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment starts - anti-Candida diet starts as diagnosis of Candida Related Complex (CRC). 24 March 2017 DETOX (3 weeks) started for anti-Candida to help "re-set" my gut. April 2017 "Genova Testing 3 day stool sampling" Comprehensive Analysis.  Gut Cleanse - 6 weeks.  Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram) when feel ready.

#51 manymoretodays

manymoretodays

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationSouthwest.....Mountain time

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:43 AM

elbee, 

"Is some of this a man/male(U.S. thing?)?"

No, I don't think it is just a male trait anymore........this need to work for money.  For me........I know it defined me........or I let it define me as someone better somehow.......someone with these great skills and natural talents.  Someone who could multitask and do it all.    Easy for people like me to do......and others with low self esteems to begin with.........that "what you do is who you are" type thinking.  "Disability" is tough as well.......I mean continuing to get the payments as my main means of having the money to live.  So many stigmas around it.  It certainly isn't the first thing I share about myself with others.  And hey, is it okay to try and take a vacation every now and then and receive disability??  I mean........judgements around it maybe instead of stigmas.    Sure hope I can find that mostly "funnish" job to help make ends meet before 2016 is over.  It would sure give me less time to think........LOL.  As far as big time earnings(even a livable wage) and career type work for someone like me.........now...........I remain skeptical..........maybe that will change with healing and neuroregenesis.

Junglechicken, best of luck!

Hope and healing to us all,

mmt

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once?, Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= approx. 1200/day. Magnesium citrate orally,diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C and E.  B12, melatonin 3mcg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=300 mcg. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.

#52 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

Thanks MMTD! x

#53 elbee

elbee

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:47 PM

Ya good luck Junglechicken!

MMTD thanks for sharing your take on this. I was raised with the idea that work defines who I am and it's really hard to shake that. I know I can't perform right now in the ways that I have before, and, well I'll just say it even though it's ugly, my ego kicks in when I think about taking a "lesser" job. I also feel like SOME type of work, even part time or volunteer to start might be good for me ... a "lesser" job that perhaps allows me to build confidence and perhaps even a sense of community in a work environment. Info try to keep my eyes and ears open for something to cross my path that "feels right" but perhaps I need to be more proactive. But like today, I started thinking about the idea of work and I could feel my anxiety rising almost to the level of panic. I swear it's like a phobia. Or perhaps my eventually "losing" my business I experienced as a trauma I haven't fully dealt with? It built a very successful business, brought in the wrong business partner in the wrong way (and I think I was in a functional decline too) and then it was gone. Omg even with all the successes it had, in the end I feel like a failure. I think in terrified to feel that again. I really don't know what to do.

1990 (age 20, in college) - First major panic attacks (diagnosis, PD, GAD, Depression). Prescribed 100 mg sertraline, 2.5 mg lorazepam. Tried to reduce meds several times but essentially took these meds for about 25 years.
Summer of 2014 - Quit drinking alcohol and 3.5 month taper off all meds under doc supervision. October 2014 - Return of severe panic attacks, with 8-month "SSRI/Benzo chase" to try and stabilize. June 2015 - Found a drug "reinstatement" (more drugs than I had ever been on) that stopped the panic attacks, but was left with severe anxiety, depression, and numerous side effects: 150 mg sertraline (Z=Zoloft), 15 mg mirtazapine (R=Remeron), 2 mg clonazepam (K=Klonopin)

-- Begin new taper -- 12/11/16: Z=100 mg, R=6 mg, K=1 mg, 11/13/16: Z=100 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1 mg, Z=100 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 9/1/16: Z=112.5 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 7/27/16: Z=125 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 5/1/16: Z=135 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 4/10/16: Z=150 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=1.5 mg, 3/1/16: Z=150 mg, R=7.5 mg, K=2.0 mg

My introduction thread.

#54 manymoretodays

manymoretodays

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:28 AM

Yup, same kind of deal for me.  The anxiety.......then to nearly paralyzing panic used to occur with every new career/job start about the time the orientation period was over and when I was left on my own. 

This after my last career job loss........which was quite awhile ago, more due to a merger and me not bringing in enough for them financially, with me "practicing" the way I did, in the hours I worked(having a young child at home and having worked out a schedule with my preceptor that fit to allow me to get him off to preschool......then school .......and rush on home on time to be there when he arrived home)..........also not having worked out with the new reception area people just what type of ?clients I liked to deal with.......had confidence dealing with, etc.  I also had a boss/preceptor who seemed to think I should stay home with my child more often or create a larger family.........lol.........something like that. 

Oh.......I had respectfully(thank you employers) lost another position prior to the one where I got laid off for "financial" reasons........given a really good lay off package deal including pay for a couple of months on that one......the one above.   A fine reference letter too.

The other job loss involved the "paralysis" effect as well.  I just didn't show up for a mandatory training after getting constructively criticized for a work situation where I should have performed more professionally, not as some artist/creative type........lol again.  And not being totally aware of my words used and the "whole of the situation" that I was in.     .........  I didn't show up for a dog/cat lab........that was held really just for me.......I mean seriously.......I messed up......I didn't cause a death or anything and did do the right thing in calling someone in to the scene I was at, but it reflected poorly on my employers and the boss, etc.  Anyway........this lab I missed........involved putting the cats and dogs we practiced on out of their misery when we were done.  :(  That was their final straw with me.........after close to a decade of employing me in that role.

So much for employers really valuing employees in those days.......but I did play my role as well in these career jobs' losses......not one I wish to repeat or am particularly proud of.

Hey, at least I can laugh.  I'm just not all that marketable like I used to be after so many years.  In my old career of choice.  Time for something new???  I don't know yet.  I haven't been windowing along for very long this time........I do have time.

But yah.......I know the terror and panic pretty darn well that goes with working in an area where I feel like I really and truly failed.  Failed myself.  Failed being perfect?  I don't know.  And it crosses over, with me, to even any job where I start to feel overwhelmed somehow.  Just prior to approval for disability.........I started and left about 10 different jobs in a 4 year period!!!!!!!

Yup.......I can volunteer again for a trial of my new self or do the not "lesser" but perhaps "better fit" for me now job that pays.  That "better fit" for me now job?????  Going to have to chance it and trust the universe a bit if something comes up or I find something.  For now...........well, in the near future..........I think getting my papers and such in order..........getting/being "ready to go" with references and such and previewing answers to those infernal interview questions.

We'll get there my friend.  Wherever there may be.

Thanks.  Good discussion.  Relief.  Breathe in again..... :)

Hope, health, and healing,

mmt

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once?, Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= approx. 1200/day. Magnesium citrate orally,diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C and E.  B12, melatonin 3mcg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=300 mcg. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.

#55 elbee

elbee

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for sharing about the challenges you faced manymoretodays. For me, I think the root issue has to do with my self esteem issues. I think that take explains a lot for me (lack of confidence, fear of failure). I guess the confidence I used to exude must have had some holes behind it? Perhaps I can learn to better love myself and that will have positive effects is a number of areas. That's my hope :)

My introduction thread.

#56 Prohealer

Prohealer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

I had to leave College in about February/March this year due to a cold turkey from two Psych drugs (details in my signature), and I've recently just started College again.

I'll be honest, it's a huge struggle for me, Iv'e been coming home most days with really bad TD, Parethesia, bad Histamine Intolerance symptoms (High Pollen atm) etc.​ I feel as though could have waited a little longer to recover at home and this really stresses me out but I find that staying indoors nearly every day without a reason to get out was makes me quite pessimistic and makes me focus on my situation more than I needed to, so there's a good side to everything.

Plus the college have been so kind and supportive by putting various things in place for me and I get to see my friends who I haven't seen in a while, that in itself makes me feel brighter during the day.

2009: Put on Fluoxetine (20mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg) for OCD. Dose was increased a few weeks later to 40mg Fluoxetine and 1mg Risperdal.

2011: Began experiencing Depersonalisation and Visual Snow, general loss of energy and breast growth. Was kept on 40mg Fluoxetine until Late Dec 2015. Risperdal dosage varied and was kept on 0.5mg for a long while before Nov 2015.

Early Sep 2015: Began having symptoms of extreme anxiety, psychosis and hot flushes due to mixing illegal drugs.

Late Nov 2015: Psych doc raised Risperdal to 8mg. Began having severe and hellish Akathisia. Was kept being given Diazepam to cope.

Early Dec 2015: Began seeing a new psych doc who tapered me off Risperdal over a period of a few weeks and put me onto Quetiapine.

Late Dec 2015: Quick tapered off of everything due to little guidance.

Mid March 2016: Reinstated Fluoxetine (5mg), dose was increased to 10mg a couple of weeks later. Gave me restless legs and stopped taking immediately (RLS was unbearable).

10 May 2016: Unsuccessful Fluoxetine reinstatement at 1mg. Drug free since May 2016.

Diet (When Able): Low carb and sugar/low histamine, high fat & dark greens. medium protein and fruit. Taking magnesium and omega 3 supplements daily, (vitamin E during TD flare-ups). Drinking at least one mug of chamomile a day. Light exercise when able.

"The best you can is good enough" - Radiohead "Optimistic"

#57 PluckyPony

PluckyPony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:16 PM

Currently working and attending school in the midst of a very slow taper.  I spent a significant amount of time unemployed and have gaps in my work history, some due to work related stress and hospitalizations. During that period, my pdocs placed me on high doses of various drugs, which intensified my angry/rage feelings. Now that I am on a much lower dose of Abilify, I am able to tolerated setbacks and focus somewhat on difficult materials.  I still struggle with reading comprehension at times, but not to the point where I cannot function at school or work. Focusing on positive outcomes and possibilities keeps me grounded in the work place, although I have days when I get very hard on myself for making mistakes that I (erroneously?) believe I wouldn't make if I didn't take Abilify. 

Pluck :D and luck worked the most for me during my job search.  I shared my complete story with someone and the person referred me to my current employer. That referral changed the direction of my career trajectory, all while titrating from absolute poison and dealing with itinerant sleep issues.

Surviving and perhaps even thriving in the world of work during withdrawal can happen, while others must do everything possible to focus on the slow taper and the adaptation process. If you feel inclined to work during this process and fear that gaps will hinder your efforts to find meaningful work, I found that authentically sharing one's enthusiasm for working yields results.

2006-2009 Zyprexa and Wellbutrin (dc Wellbutrin cold turkey, dc Zyprexa cold turkey with disastrous results) 2009-2010 Transitioned from Zyprexa to Abilify 2010-2015 Reduced from 20 mg of Abilify to 8mg. Cold turkeyed once during this period but finally learned my lesson.  December 2015 -  8mg of Abilify.  Mid April 2016 -  7mg of Abilify. Mid September 2016 - 6.3mg of Abilify.  November 2016 - 5.7 mg of Abilify.  November 30, 2016 - 5.1mg of Abilify. January 2017 - 4.6mg of Abilify,  February 2017 - 4.1 of Abilify, March 2017 - 3.8 of Abilify, April 2017 - 3.4 of Abilify

Be your giant, greatest fan! Words of wisdom, yes I can! Earth, Wind and Fire.

#58 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

Lasted a month in a stressful job then quit.

What really didn't help was that the management attitude was to let new recruits "sink or swim".

Will have to find something slow and steady next time round.

#59 rapunzel2

rapunzel2

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

I may have to quit my job and get one project based work that allows me to work at home, is more stressfree and less workload. also it means a lot less money, my boyfriend will have to support me. this decision is really tough :( has anyone had to do something similar? do you think having less stress would make recovery easier?

in 2002- cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2006-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 10 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013; 4) free form amino acid complex 3 capsules 5) milk thistle 6) niacin 1500mg

25. april'13 fluoxetine 40mg -> 36mg (10%); 25. may'13 fluoxetine 36mg -> 32mg (1 month inbetween, 11%); 4. july'13 fluoxetine 32mg-> 28mg (5,5 weeks, 13%); 27. july'13 quetiapine 50 -> 45mg (10%); 15. aug'13 fluoxetine 28mg -> 24mg (6 weeks, 14%); 29. sept'13 quetiapine 45 -> 40mg (1,5 months, 11%); 14. oct'13 quetiapine 40mg -> 35mg (2 weeks, 13%); 16. oct'13 quetiapine 35mg -> 40mg; 17. oct'13 fluoxetine 24mg -> 22 mg (8%); 4. feb’14 fluoxetine 22mg -> 21mg (3,5 months hold inbetween, 5% cut); 21. feb'14 fluoxetine 21mg -> 20,5mg (2,5 weeks, 2,4% cut); 27 feb'14 fluoxetine 20,5mg -> 20mg (1 week, 2,4% cut); 30 mar'14 fluoxetine 20mg -> 19,5mg (4,5 weeks, 2,4% cut); 17 may'14 quetiapine 40mg -> 31mg (22% cut); 31 may'14 fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 17,56mg (9,9%); 13 july'14 quetiapine 31mg -> 25mg (19% cut); 19 july'14 quetiapine 25mg -> 18, 75mg (25% cut, 6 days); 28. july'14 quetiapine 18,75mg -> 22mg (-15%); 9. aug'14 fluoxetine 17,52mg -> 17,12mg (2,3% cut, 10 weeks, over 2 months); 19. aug'14 back to 17,52mg due to bad withdrawal symptoms; 20. oct'14 fluoxetine 17,52 -> 17,2mg (1,8% cut); 28. nov'14 fluoxetine 17,2 -> 15,6 (9,8%); 9. feb’15 fluoxetine 15,6 -> 14,4 (7,7%); 3. may’15 quetiapine 22mg -> 19mg (-14%); 27. may’15 fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 12,6mg (-12,5%, 1,8mg); 2. july’15 fluoxetine 12,6mg -> 10,6mg (15,9%, 2mg); 26. oct'15 fluoxetine 10,6mg - 9mg (15%, 1,6mg); 18. jan'16 quetiapine 18mg -> 15mg (17%); 16. mar'16 fluoxetine 9mg -> 7,4mg (18%); 22.may'16 fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 6mg (19%); 19.sept'16 quetiapine 12,5 -> 11,25 (10%); 26. sept'16 quetiapine 11,25 -> 10,25 (9%), 3 oct'16 quetiapine 10,25 -> 9,25 (10%); 10 oc'16 quetiapine 9,25-> 8,25mg (11%), 14 nov'16 quetiapine 8,25 -> 7,25 (12%); 9 Jan'17 fluoxetine 6mg -> 5,8mg (3%): 18 jan fluoxetine 5,8mg -> 5,6mg (3%); 6 feb fluoxetine 5,6mg -> 5,4mg (4%); 19 feb fluoxetine 5,4mg -> 5,2mg (4%); 5 mar fluox 5,2 -> 5,0 (4%). 

#60 Squeak

Squeak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

I'd like to revive this thread, not sure I see it addressed elsewhere. I have been "working" very sporadically the last three years after a breakdown of sorts at a very high-stress job. I got some long-term disability pay from that, but my application for Social Security Disability is stuck in the appeal stage, which can take 1 1/2 years?

Meanwhile, I have done some art designs and sold them online, but I can hardly count on feeling stable enough to keep up with orders if it got busier. I leave myself a few days to get things done. I don't have a regular schedule at all. I have thought about a part-time job but I feel safer at home and would rather cultivate more profits from my online sales.

I have used most of my savings but not my personal IRA. Financial stress and self-esteem issues from not earning a living are certainly a detriment to healing and feeling whole. This is one of the most difficult parts of the process for me. Does anybody else share these issues or have ideas about it?
2001: prescribed Klonopin for anxiety related to IBS/weight loss
2007-2010: 3-4 different antidepressants for very short periods
2012: Diagnosed major depression: settled on Prozac 40 mg
2012: daily use of Klonopin 0.5 mg 2014: switched to Ativan 0.5 mg
2014-15: tapered down Prozac and Ativan, not successful withdrawing Ativan
2015: off Prozac, used Chinese herbs and acupuncture
2016: diagnosed major depression for second time, put back on Prozac 40 mg also various small attempts with Wellbutrin, trazodone, Rexulti, mirtazepine, but resistant to adding to my mixture
2016: Gabapentin 1800 mg for severe nerve pain in feet (believe related to meds) (B12 injections also helped)
Low mood, low energy, no motivation.Frequent anxiety between doses of Ativan. Diagnosed adrenal fatigue, supplements.
2017: 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.5 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // adrenal and vitamin supplements
Mar 2017: continuing 40 mg fluoxetine // 1.33 mg lorazepam // 1800 mg gabapentin // only fish oil supplementation
http://survivinganti...apentin-enough/

#61 manymoretodays

manymoretodays

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

Hi Squeak,

Yes, kind of......I think I do share some of these issues.  I feel like I have been already retired at an early age and am getting close to finally ending that phase......I hope.

I am on disability.......the "good" kind as I, when I applied for it, had all the work credits paid into social security, and the years worked in my recent past.  I never, ever expected it to be anything but temporary help........so I am kind of wowed about how it has gone......  I also applied and then reapplied and then got it after my final appeal.  It was based on a psych label as my diagnosis.  I hope I can change that.......maybe someday........the label.......on paper and all because I no longer believe in it at all.......which IS ironic but trust me........I was real sick and unable to hold down any job for a long time.......I tried and tried too.......  The effects of the drugs on my psych and some of my other other life conditions(marriage, relationships including in the workforce, then finally divorce) got me way worse than I think I ever naturally would have been.  Very low stress tolerance as a result of treatment with drugs too.......easily overwhelmed.  Improving but still not par.....

Robert Whittaker talks about this.....in his book "Anatomy of an Epidemic".  When I read that book I felt like his poster child......and even though at the time I could barely cognate.........I sent him an e-mail and he answered!!!!  He basically said that I, and the many like me, were the reason he did all his research and wrote!!!

Oddly now......or maybe not so much....the oddly.......I am okay with it all........after all it's been and is my special journey and I am glad I had/am having it.

I did get close to 20 years in my chosen career and worked really from the time I was about 14 or 15 at this or that.........so, I just sometimes have to convince myself I am not a deadbeat sloth.........but no, I also can't expect to go full bananas on another career at my age, unless I want to give something else up, or find someone to run my home and other aspects of life for me.......not likely.

I also have more recently cashed in a teeny bit of my IRA and transferred another pension from an employer into that account as well.  Luckily or unluckily.........I think luckily.........I am now officially 59 and 1/2 and I believe there are some rules as to SSretirement payouts from SSdisability that save on some of the penalty payments for early withdrawal.  I think I have a great fund manager who is knowledgeable along these lines........so that is great.

I also, more recently, got some financial help from some family members.....something I was always way too proud to do for a long, long time.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for........I hope it helps.

I do expect/hope to work for $$$ again and maybe until I am 70 or something.......if I get my way.......one never knows.  I don't expect I will work 90 hour weeks though or make huge sums but I really do feel like I have got it left in me to contribute somewhere.  I do what I can, without pay.........when I can as well............as far as work goes.

Anyway........I think one of the big things I have learned through all this is.........that none of us can do this alone.........I mean apart(in isolation) from having some helpful, kind, giving relationships and possibly somewhere to get some financial/living assistance. 

It does appear that work can be a blessing for some, an actual stress reducer, as well, during the period of acute W/D so there is that too.........the possibility of doing something outside your "career" scope if you have one, for awhile........  something funnish but that pays or that suits for a time and helps pay the bills.

Best to you,

mmt