SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Homeopathy

Nadia

yes, I am a fan of homeopathy.  the problem with it is that there are thousands of remedies and finding the right one is the trick.   arnica always works for injury.  I had a panic late at night with a cold coming on and not being able to breathe at all through my nose.  none of my other tricks worked.  I just googled blocked nose or something like that and there were 10 suggestions with the accompanying symptoms.   I chose the closest one  to my situation and I also happened to have some.  within a few minutes I could breathe and the cold went away.  

maybe you need a stronger dose of calc carb.   I am saying that because I just broke my leg and was taking arnica.  it wasn't doing much until I upped the dose radically.   I was practically visible how it was working.  swelling going down,  pain,  etc.  

I am an absolutely totally ignorant of homeopathy btw.  I just google. 

you can order higher dosages on line.

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

• 2 weeks later...

I suffer from bleeding hemorrhoids and PSSD. My homeopath had prescribed me Nitrucum Acidum 30ch for a month, and Nitricum acidum 200 ch for another month, two granules every 4 hours 3 times a day. With the 30ch dilution, hemorrhoids had completely stopped bleeding for a month, and even PSSD symptoms  were significantly better, but switched to 200 ch dilution, hemorrhoids started to bleed again, although with less frequency, and also the improvement of PSSD seem faded.

Now the homeopath told me to stop Acidum nitricum, and start Nux vomica at dilution of 30C for a month, but still have not started, because I read that it is very powerful on the nervous system and I'm little scared.

I stopped Nitricum Acidum 200C, 2 grains three times a day friday cold turkey, do you think can be dangerous? Do you guys think i need to re start Nitricum Acidum 200C and make a slow tapering?

The homeopath told me just to stop Nitricum Acidum and start Nux Vomica, and not told me about slow tapering.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

• Moderator Emeritus

The Hyland baby homeopathy is turning into a class action lawsuit:

http://www.hylandslawsuit.com/Home.aspx

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I didn't find homeopathy worked for me.

It didn't help that her communication style wasn't very good, and i lost hope really.

There was just no way of telling if it was actually helping, nothing tangible.

I struggled with maintaining faith that those little remedies were doing something.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

I suffer from bleeding hemorrhoids and PSSD. My homeopath had prescribed me Nitrucum Acidum 30ch for a month, and Nitricum acidum 200 ch for another month, two granules every 4 hours 3 times a day. With the 30ch dilution, hemorrhoids had completely stopped bleeding for a month, and even PSSD symptoms  were significantly better, but switched to 200 ch dilution, hemorrhoids started to bleed again, although with less frequency, and also the improvement of PSSD seem faded.

Now the homeopath told me to stop Acidum nitricum, and start Nux vomica at dilution of 30C for a month, but still have not started, because I read that it is very powerful on the nervous system and I'm little scared.

I stopped Nitricum Acidum 200C, 2 grains three times a day friday cold turkey, do you think can be dangerous? Do you guys think i need to re start Nitricum Acidum 200C and make a slow tapering?

The homeopath told me just to stop Nitricum Acidum and start Nux Vomica, and not told me about slow tapering.

Sorry Chuck, there are currently no homeopathic practioners, or even hobbyists here who can answer that question.

Really, to my mind, it's vibrational water / sugar pills, so "reactions" should be minimum.  It's one of the reasons homeopathy is considered safer (though not totally safe) for withdrawal.

Have you reacted to remedies before?

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Sorry Chuck, there are currently no homeopathic practioners, or even hobbyists here who can answer that question.

Really, to my mind, it's vibrational water / sugar pills, so "reactions" should be minimum.  It's one of the reasons homeopathy is considered safer (though not totally safe) for withdrawal.

Have you reacted to remedies before?

Hi JanCarol, thx for the repy. No I don't have any reactions for a moment to remedies, except for a bit of mental confusion sometimes. But I'm not even sure if they are remedies, because I had a little bit of it also before , It seem to I tolerate them quite well. My homeopath is denying that they may have any side effects.

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

Please someone can have advice? This morning I took two granules of nux vomica 30ch and I have severe adverse reactions. I had immediately strong headaches and breathing problems after a few minutes i took it, it is as if I had a brick over my head, I had also 10 discharge of diarrhea.

Now I still have this bad headache, with stomach upset, it seems I can not formulate thoughts correctly, this morning I could not speak well, and even now it does not seem to pronounce all the words correctly.

I phoned to my homeopath and said that it is impossible, but I have read of people left severely damaged by nux vomica, with these confusion problems and nurological damage for many years, also 20 years, my homeopath has abandoned me says it has no help for me, He simply told me to go back to Acidum nitricum, but this time in drops that seemed to have done well, but I will never take homeopathic medicine again.

I'm afraid I've been doing some severe permanent neurological damage with these two nux vomica granules, I'm desperate.

Chuck,

I definitely understand your desperation and sadly, your situation is a perfect example of why alternative medicine is not harmless.  Personally, I wouldn't touch one drop of any homeopathic medicine because of what happened to you.  In other words, I would not take the Acidum nitricum.

I know it is easy to think you have been permanently harmed but it might be a case of simply waiting for things to clear up.   Not trying to minimize your concerns but just hoping that will happen in your case.

Hang in there.

CS

PS - Forgot to ask if you have reported this to your regular doctor?

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Chuck,

I definitely understand your desperation and sadly, your situation is a perfect example of why alternative medicine is not harmless.  Personally, I wouldn't touch one drop of any homeopathic medicine because of what happened to you.  In other words, I would not take the Acidum nitricum.

I know it is easy to think you have been permanently harmed but it might be a case of simply waiting for things to clear up.   Not trying to minimize your concerns but just hoping that will happen in your case.

Hang in there.

CS

PS - Forgot to ask if you have reported this to your regular doctor?

Thx for the advice compsports, I do not take any Homeopathic remedies for the rest of my life. Unfortunately my doctor is on vacation, and return on Tuesday, this morning there was a substitute, and I did not go because he didn't know anything about me, my SSRIs Withdrawal, my adverse reactions to SSRIs and my PSSD, And He probably never would have believed me, Now I have to go to visit my doctor on Tuesday, He is knows everything about me, Or even I go tomorrow for some advice by his substitute who I do not know Him and I see Him tomorrow for the first time, if I go.

Today headache, confusion and stomach pain, seem to be better, But I wonder because of the symptoms if I had, 10 discharge of diarrhea, severe headaches, amazement, confusion, muscle tension etch, if this could have been a serotonin syndrome?

I talked to a friend is medical student like me, He also has PSSD and hemorrhoids like me, but for this he did a surgery and solved this problem, which would have been better than I did the same, instead of trying risky alternative medicines. He told me it might have been a serotonin syndrome, which seems to be by the symptoms, He advised me to fasting for one day, or just eat yogurt, and drink a lot water, to try to lower serotonin levels in the blood, and wait two weeks before thinking of having had some damage.

Sorry for my bad english

Chuck,

Your English is fine and I think your friend is right on target.

Best of luck.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Chuck - there will be no "permanent neurological damage" from a homeopathic remedy.  They are among the safest.

However, it is important that all natural practitioners are aware that you need "calming" remedies, not "detoxification," and I wonder if that's the direction s/he is headed.

Just don't take it if it bothers you, you will be better in a few days.  You've taken in a "vibration" - so imagine that you are guitar strings, and this remedy hit discord on your strings.  You just have to wait for the strings to stop vibrating, and you will return to still again.  It is highly unlikely that these remedies "broke" your guitar strings, it was just unpleasant, like discordant music.

Patience, and maybe read what others have experienced here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5662-how-good-are-naturopaths-and-other-alternative-practitioners/

Thx JanCarol, I reply you on my thread, Now I have another question I posted also on my thread but i think is good I posted also on Homeopathy thread, because is about homeopathic product WD, If it is a phenomenon that can happen?

I have one question, if someone know it is a really appreciate, before the adverse reactions to nux vomica, with my ex homeopath for my hemorroids problem I used remdies Acidum Nitricum 30ch for one month 6 granules for a day but sometimes I used 4 granules, without any side effects, and after rimedies Acidum Nitrucm 200ch 6 granules for a day, for one month, with some side effects like little confusion And sometimes stomach ache, But I could not understand whether it was due to remedies or not, after this I stopped Acidum Nitrucum cold turkey from 6 granules to 0. This is safe? My old homeopath told me there were no problems to stopping it.
Can there be withdrawal symptoms from homeopathic products? is Twenty days have stopped the acidum nitricum cold turkey, I really don't want return on it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am not a homeopath.   I have no idea about any of the remedies or strengths you are talking about.  

I do not know for certain - but since they are vibrational, rather than actual substances (except for the sugar in the pills, or the water), if there is any withdrawal, it should be minor.

If you get used to hearing a note - and then the note is gone, you might still "hear" it in your head for awhile until you get used to the silence.  Likewise if you look into a blue light, and then close your eyes, you see an after image.  So there may still be vibrational after effects, but I wouldn't think of them as "withdrawal."

I think of homeopathic remedies as musical, vibrational, wave form style of practice.  Very very subtle.

I would appreciate knowing the contact info for a homeopath who has helped anyone withdrawing.  I know homeopathy can work but it is not easy at all to find the right remedy.  I am pretty desperate so I am willing to try.  I know it helped a lot for pain with a sore tooth and for a broken leg.  
( I didn't read this thread, I don't have the attention span right now). 

chrona

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Chrona, I do not think you will find a homeopath who has information about withdrawal.  Most head straight for "detox protocols," if the experiences of members are any indication.  The best thing for withdrawal is time, patience, and learning to survive the symptoms.

I just saw this excellent British skit about how a homeopathy ER might look (I hope y'all don't mind a little humour here):

I rather like the homeopathic lager, myself.

Ha ha!  All they had to do was stop the bleeding!  Good find.  never been a fan of homeopathic myself, but I did get desperate enough to try their anxiety/insomnia drops (that didn't work)!  Perhaps more people should try one drop of beer in a glass of water like they did!  I like that idea!

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

This just in from the European Academies Science Advisory Council, full report at:  https://www.homeowatch.org/policy/easac.pdf

Scientific mechanisms of action—where we conclude that the claims for homeopathy are implausible and inconsistent with established scientific concepts.

Clinical efficacy—we acknowledge that a placebo effect may appear in individual patients but we agree with previous extensive evaluations concluding that there are no known diseases for which there is robust, reproducible evidence that homeopathy is effective beyond the placebo effect. There are related concerns for patient-informed consent and for safety, the latter associated with poor quality control in preparing homeopathic remedies.

Promotion of homeopathy—we note that this may pose significant harm to the patient if incurring delay in seeking evidence-based medical care and that there is a more general risk of undermining public confidence in the nature and value of scientific evidence.

Veterinary practice—we conclude similarly that there is no rigorous evidence to substantiate the use of homeopathy in veterinary medicine and it is particularly worrying when such products are used in preference to evidence-based medicinal products to treat livestock infections.

Now granted, there is a conspiracy to move people towards mainstream medicine and away from "alternative" or "complementary" medicine - but - homeopathy is not reproducible.  I do have some understanding as to why (I attended a lecture on this once) - that each individual remedy is so individual that you cannot run a trial of more than n=1.  If is extremely difficult to run scientific trials on vibrations of remedies - or of patients.

• 8 months later...
  • Mentor
On 5/14/2017 at 12:06 AM, JanCarol said:

just saw this excellent British skit about how a homeopathy ER might look (I hope y'all don't mind a little humour here):

YAY... The Peep Show actors -- brilliant. * I did read the whole homeopathy thread and think it won't hurt anything and might (knock on wood) help anxiety.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• Moderator Emeritus

Yar, FGW - the risk to benefit ratio of homeopathy is high.  There is very little risk (though some have reported side effects), and while the methods & principles of homeopathy are dubious - it's unlikely to hurt you more than placebo.

My new definition of placebo is "the force that we apply to ourselves in a healing situation."  We can certainly cause drug effects & side effects that way - and there is growing information about how to harness this force consciously for healing, instead of the "accidental" approach that Western medicine seems to apply to placebo.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 6/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, JanCarol said:

Yar, FGW - the risk to benefit ratio of homeopathy is high.  There is very little risk (though some have reported side effects), and while the methods & principles of homeopathy are dubious - it's unlikely to hurt you more than placebo.

My new definition of placebo is "the force that we apply to ourselves in a healing situation."  We can certainly cause drug effects & side effects that way - and there is growing information about how to harness this force consciously for healing, instead of the "accidental" approach that Western medicine seems to apply to placebo.

Oh Yar.  I just had to quote this JC. 

.......and I just love your definition of placebo too!

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...

I've had great results with homeopathy on lighter issues, but I started using a constitutional remedy prescribed by a (ultimately quack) homeopath, who didn't listen to my concerns or ask enough questions, which should've been a red flag. I can't afford another homeopath right away, but I do need to figure out how to antidote.

I took Arsenicum album 6c, and started proving right away (meaning it created new symptoms because of too high a dose). My system is VERY sensitive, and I'm used to only X treatments, not C (X being a lower dose). Anyway, I antidoted with Nux vomica the last night -- which was a blessed relief, worked like a charm.

Except then I had a dinner laden with half a whole garlic clove. I'd forgotten garlic antidotes homeopathy. So I accidentally antidoted the antidote! I waited 1/2 an hour, brushed my teeth, and took another 6c Nux v. dose...which seemed too strong. I freaked out completely, because some of the effects caused by the original Arsenicum proving and this new dose resembled WD brain impairments (I'm sure you can tell even from this post that I'm mixed up and not exactly coherent, I haven't been like this in quite a while, hence my fears about returning to early WD days after making some progress with homeopathy earlier). 

So I took one pellet of Arsenicum, in an irrational panic by now, then one 30x pellet of Nux v. Woke up, wasn't sure how I felt other than completely anxious and worse than before I took either of them, so I tried to antidote everything with essential oils. But I think they only antidoted the Nux v., not the Arsenicum.

So I'm wondering if I should take another dose of the Nux v. in hopes of canceling out Arsenicum's lingering bad effects.

Sorry for how frantic this sounds. I'm prone to worrying about little details causing big problems for a variety of reasons, and I'm also running late to work, anxious to get details down correctly. In hopes anyone can help. 

I'm fairly new to homeopathy, experimented only with much milder, lighter remedies. This is new to me. I did search copiously online, all through my workday, and this forum this morning, but I can't find anything specifically on what to do after an antidote is antidoted -- whether to retake it like you would the original remedy if it was accidentally canceled out. 

Anyway, thanks if you can help. I apologize for the length of this.

On 6/26/2018 at 10:59 PM, JanCarol said:

Do you have any info on harnessing that "force" consciously? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Seeker7, that's a great question!

I only have my personal experience, and in my experience I find that Gratitude is the key.

I know it sounds trite, but - think about it.  

When placebo works in clinical trials, couldn't it be because the patient is so grateful that they are getting an opportunity to "fix" their problem?  It's more than wanting it to work.  Wanting it to work is more like the woo presented in "The Secret."

But being grateful for the attention from the doctors, being grateful for the opportunity to heal, and - I know it sounds trite, but finding gratefulness in the roof over your head, the flower in bloom, the smell of a baby's hair, the taste of a nutritious meal, the touch of a loved one, the gift of a beautiful piece of music - all of these feed the "gratitude necklace," as I call it.

The necklace is made up of pearls of gratitude.  It starts small:  as Jon Kabat-Zinn says, "That you are breathing means there is more right with you than wrong in this moment," and be grateful for that breath, and the next one.  And be grateful for what I do have in my body, in my life, and the more I am grateful for - the easier it is to find things to be grateful for.  When this gratitude is genuine (fake it till you make it!), it starts an amazing feedback loop that spirals up into amazement.

I saw a cartoon from a famous Australian named Michael Leunig.  I cannot post it here, but it was about "Rainmaking Options and Chances of Success"

He listed the following:
Nude rain dance:  15%.  

Prayer ("wanting it to work") 15%

Duck empathy ("gratitude for all life") 57%

Nude Prayer with Duck ("surrender to gratitude") 87.5%

(parenthesis mine, all the rest is Michael Leunig's brilliant cartoon - I recommend everyone to look him up, and he is anti-drugging, and pro "merging with ducks and goats")

So I would say that cultivating gratitude is a strong way to harness the force of placebo.

And may the Force be with you!

• 3 months later...

I would like to clarify a little bit about homeopathy.

First it is not placebo, although the remedies are usually diluted beyond the point of any biochemical effect. Their effects are energetic:

- It is effective on pets, pre-verbal babies, people in comas, skeptics, ... Some organic farmers use it on their entire herd. Biodynamic farmers use homeopathic remedies to repel pests and treat plant diseases.

- A relatively healthy individual can do a “proving” of an unknown homeopathic remedy by taking it repeatedly over several days and it will temporarily cause symptoms that they have never experienced previously. The entire constellation of symptoms that it causes are unique to the remedy. This is a repeatable scientific experiment that has been used to determine the healing scope new remedies. The constellation of symptoms it will cause (mental, physical & emotional) in a healthy person, it will cure in a sick person ("Like cures like")

- The correct curative remedy will initially cause a temporary worsening of the condition being cured if it is given in too strong a dose (too highly diluted!). Just like a proving will cause symptoms temporarily.

- One can treat simple acute (self-limiting) conditions (e.g. minor burns, minor injuries, insect bites, etc.) and see unusually rapid cures.

- One can get treated for long term chronic (non self-limiting) conditions and see a deep lasting cure requiring no further treatment.

-There is over 200 years worth of extensive documentation from around the world, of the clinical successes of homeopathy for both acute and chronic conditions of all types.

Classical Homeopathy requires matching the single curative remedy on all levels (mental, physical & emotional - MPE) to the individual. As such it is very challenging to do that properly and then to manage the healing process and change remedies if and when needed. When done so, it cures on all levels.  This is well documented.

Because of the challenge of doing classical homeopathy, over the years many practitioners have tried to short-circuit homeopathy's deep inquiry process: use electronic instruments, give combinations of remedies, use uninformed intuitive approaches, etc. Maybe these approaches will help you but unfortunately these practitioners still call what they do homeopathy.  One must inquire of the "homeopathic" practitioner what their approach is, what their training is, and get referrals from their clients.

Also because of the challenge, it is necessary to give your practitioner some time to find an effective remedy. It might require some trial and error. But fortunately the probability of any serious side effects is negligible, or lasting harm - nil. But you have to be ready to move on if the situation is urgent. There are no guarantees for any  treatment modality.

There are several countries in the world where homeopathy is a medical specialty, even where there are homeopathic medical schools. In other countries it is a non-medical specialty. There are skilled successful homeopaths both with and without medical training.  Conventional medical diagnoses may be helpful, sometimes necessary, but not always accurate or necessary.

Like all forms of treatment there are certain things that interfere with the success of homeopathic treatment. Extreme long-term drugging _might_ mean that it is difficult or impossible to recover using homeopathy but it is always worth a try. The lifestyle and intake of the patient may interfere with the effectiveness of the treatment. Like any complex experiment you want to remove all other factors that might interfere with the success of the experiment and build up your strength to galvanize the healing process. ALL healing is the result of the body's own processes. The medicine only sets the stage where it can play out.

On 6/26/2018 at 9:59 AM, JanCarol said:

I have just posted about homeopathy including 6 ways it differs from placebo.  Anyone who is reasonably healthy can do a proving of a homeopathy remedy i.e. take it daily over a period of time which will cause a unique constellation of mental, emotional & physical symptoms never before experienced; unique to that remedy. This is a repeatable scientific experiment.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:22 AM, JanCarol said:

Now granted, there is a conspiracy to move people towards mainstream medicine and away from "alternative" or "complementary" medicine - but - homeopathy is not reproducible.  I do have some understanding as to why (I attended a lecture on this once) - that each individual remedy is so individual that you cannot run a trial of more than n=1.  If is extremely difficult to run scientific trials on vibrations of remedies - or of patients. 

I posted about homeopathy including 6 ways it differs from placebo.  Anyone who is reasonably healthy can do a proving of a homeopathy remedy i.e. take it daily over a period of time which will cause a unique constellation of mental, emotional & physical symptoms never before experienced; unique to that remedy. This is a repeatable scientific experiment.

On 5/17/2017 at 1:27 AM, grandmaD said:

Ha ha!  All they had to do was stop the bleeding!  Good find.  never been a fan of homeopathic myself, but I did get desperate enough to try their anxiety/insomnia drops (that didn't work)!  Perhaps more people should try one drop of beer in a glass of water like they did!  I like that idea!

I have just posted about homeopathy. Taking something that a pharmacy calls "homeopathic" Anxiety/Insomnia drops is not practicing homeopathy.  If you randomly took an anti-depressant for depression and it didnt work would you claim that conventional medicine doesnt work?

On 4/28/2017 at 11:04 AM, Chuck83 said:

Can there be withdrawal symptoms from homeopathic products? is Twenty days have stopped the acidum nitricum cold turkey, I really don't want return on it.

There are no withdrawal sxs from stopping homeopathic products, but taking the wrong remedy too long or even taking the right remedy too long, CAN cause problems. They are not candy. Like cures like means that if someone takes the remedy repeatedly over a period of time it will Cause sxs that it will cure in a sick person. Find a qualified practitioner that is well referred to work with. If you treat yourself, you have a fool for a doctor.

On 4/15/2017 at 5:23 AM, Junglechicken said:

I didn't find homeopathy worked for me.

It didn't help that her communication style wasn't very good, and i lost hope really.

There was just no way of telling if it was actually helping, nothing tangible.

I struggled with maintaining faith that those little remedies were doing something.

If you took an anti-depressant and it didnt help your depression, would you say that conventional medicine didnt work for you?  If you have the right remedy you will see very tangible results. I look for what R. Murphy calls the 5 General Signs of Health: Sleep & energy, sense of well being, calmness, clarity, adaptability to the environment. If I dont see noticeable improvement in at least one of those areas in the first couple weeks, its time to look for another remedy.  No need to struggle to have faith.

On 3/27/2017 at 4:55 PM, chrona said:

yes, I am a fan of homeopathy.  the problem with it is that there are thousands of remedies and finding the right one is the trick.   arnica always works for injury.  I had a panic late at night with a cold coming on and not being able to breathe at all through my nose.  none of my other tricks worked.  I just googled blocked nose or something like that and there were 10 suggestions with the accompanying symptoms.   I chose the closest one  to my situation and I also happened to have some.  within a few minutes I could breathe and the cold went away.  

maybe you need a stronger dose of calc carb.   I am saying that because I just broke my leg and was taking arnica.  it wasn't doing much until I upped the dose radically.   I was practically visible how it was working.  swelling going down,  pain,  etc.  

I am an absolutely totally ignorant of homeopathy btw.  I just google. 

you can order higher dosages on line.

Nice to hear your testimonials. Self-treatment for acute conditions like this is fine. I encourage it.  But treating yourself with ANY form of medicine for something that is chronic is foolish, Especially if you are using the higher potency homeopathic remedies.  There are thousands of remedies now and teasing out which one is correct and then managing the treatment process is very tricky.

On 7/21/2011 at 5:25 PM, Claudius said:

I tried it, to little or no avail. Though I think homeopathy will have its value with non-AD related distortions of body functioning, WD is caused by the brain-altering effects of the drug and the too rapid withdrawal from the drug. Homeopathy has a strong focus on "detox", my first homeopathist assured me that my problems were caused by poisoning by the meds and he was soecialized in detoxing from psychiatric meds. And although I consider psychiatric meds as highly toxic, the direct cause of withdrawal syndfrome is not medicine residue but the abscence of the med while the nervous system is still adapted to it. Probably this is related to distorted action potentials of nerve cells which start uncontrolled firing when the action potential is suddenly wrong in the abscence of the drug.

When the homeopathist would be totally informed about WD, the best approach would have been careful reinstatement of the drug, followed by a guided taper. But unfortunately this is completely outside the scope of most , if not all homeopathists... :(

I do have some benefit by massage therapy but in the end there is no better apprach than tapering carefully off, or for us unfortunate cold turkey goers, being patient to the max and hope for financial and emotional support....

Not all, in fact not most, homeopaths focus on detox. Classical homeopathy pattern matches the symptoms and relies on the body's own healing processes.  Homeopathy has been treating people recovering from over-drugging almost since the beginning over 200 years ago. Dr Hahnemann developed homeopathy after his dissatisfaction with conventional medicine of his time that relied heavily on Mercury, one of the most toxic substances on the planet.  That said, Hahnemann also said that treating over-drugging is one of the most difficult things to do. I think you are right that it is best to take someone slowly off the medicine (under doctors supervision) while taking the homeopathic remedy (or other treatment) waiting for the healing response.

On 4/15/2017 at 4:18 AM, JanCarol said:

The Hyland baby homeopathy is turning into a class action lawsuit:

http://www.hylandslawsuit.com/Home.aspx

Interesting that the MSM gives so much focus on the the Hylands case. Articles come out documenting that conventional medicine kills 2-300,00 people every year in the USA from properly prescribed meds (not including mistakes!) and there is a collective yawn.  If one drug manufacturer was found to have a manufacturing problem, it would hardly warrant being reported even if somebody died. Immediately after the Hylands case the FDA comes out with new proposed guidelines for homeopathic medicine which might make certain remedies hard to access. I dont see similar "diligence" for the problems with conventional medicine. It has become rotten at the core due to the science & doctors being corrupted by  pharmaceutical company influence.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:03 PM, Chuck83 said:

Please someone can have advice? This morning I took two granules of nux vomica 30ch and I have severe adverse reactions. I had immediately strong headaches and breathing problems after a few minutes i took it, it is as if I had a brick over my head, I had also 10 discharge of diarrhea.

Now I still have this bad headache, with stomach upset, it seems I can not formulate thoughts correctly, this morning I could not speak well, and even now it does not seem to pronounce all the words correctly.

I phoned to my homeopath and said that it is impossible, but I have read of people left severely damaged by nux vomica, with these confusion problems and nurological damage for many years, also 20 years, my homeopath has abandoned me says it has no help for me, He simply told me to go back to Acidum nitricum, but this time in drops that seemed to have done well, but I will never take homeopathic medicine again.

I'm afraid I've been doing some severe permanent neurological damage with these two nux vomica granules, I'm desperate.

Hi Chuck83, You can   relax. Usually a strong reaction to a remedy is followed with a healing response. It usually is the sign of the proper remedy given at too strong a dose.  Please dont try to treat yourself. Find a homeopath that will work with you. In the many months that have followed your post, how are you doing?

On 5/1/2017 at 2:24 AM, chrona said:

I would appreciate knowing the contact info for a homeopath who has helped anyone withdrawing.  I know homeopathy can work but it is not easy at all to find the right remedy.  I am pretty desperate so I am willing to try.  I know it helped a lot for pain with a sore tooth and for a broken leg.  
( I didn't read this thread, I don't have the attention span right now). 

chrona

Hi Chona, almost every homeopath has worked with someone who is withdrawing from something.  Rarely we get people who refuse drugging from the beginning. But most people with chronic diseases go to homeopaths as a last resort. They have tried everything else and now they are willing to suspend disbelief and try homeopathy! Its unfortunate because if people would go before they have been drugged they would get better results. Were you able to find somebody who could help you?

On 4/30/2017 at 5:05 AM, JanCarol said:

I am not a homeopath.   I have no idea about any of the remedies or strengths you are talking about.  

I do not know for certain - but since they are vibrational, rather than actual substances (except for the sugar in the pills, or the water), if there is any withdrawal, it should be minor.

If you get used to hearing a note - and then the note is gone, you might still "hear" it in your head for awhile until you get used to the silence.  Likewise if you look into a blue light, and then close your eyes, you see an after image.  So there may still be vibrational after effects, but I wouldn't think of them as "withdrawal."

I think of homeopathic remedies as musical, vibrational, wave form style of practice.  Very very subtle.

Actually, frequently the patients response to a homeopathic remedy can be very dramatic. It always depends on the individual case.

On 9/20/2018 at 11:49 PM, Seeker7 said:

I took Arsenicum album 6c, and started proving right away (meaning it created new symptoms because of too high a dose). My system is VERY sensitive, and I'm used to only X treatments, not C (X being a lower dose). Anyway, I antidoted with Nux vomica the last night -- which was a blessed relief, worked like a charm.

Except then I had a dinner laden with half a whole garlic clove. I'd forgotten garlic antidotes homeopathy. So I accidentally antidoted the antidote! I waited 1/2 an hour, brushed my teeth, and took another 6c Nux v. dose...which seemed too strong. I freaked out completely, because some of the effects caused by the original Arsenicum proving and this new dose resembled WD brain impairments (I'm sure you can tell even from this post that I'm mixed up and not exactly coherent, I haven't been like this in quite a while, hence my fears about returning to early WD days after making some progress with homeopathy earlier). 

So I took one pellet of Arsenicum, in an irrational panic by now, then one 30x pellet of Nux v. Woke up, wasn't sure how I felt other than completely anxious and worse than before I took either of them, so I tried to antidote everything with essential oils. But I think they only antidoted the Nux v., not the Arsenicum.

Hi Seeker7,  Please dont try to treat yourself with homeopathy except for simple acute (self-limiting) issues.  Find a professional that you can work with. There is a very apt saying "Someone who treats themselves has a fool for a doctor"  I know from personal experience of being a fool!  How are you doing now at this much later date?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy