SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

How to cut up tablets or pills (using a pill cutter)

Brandy

ADMIN NOTE Here is an example of an inexpensive pill splitter:

post-1-0-22037300-1437783530_thumb.jpg

How to cut 1/4 tablet in half: The easiest way to cut a quarter-tablet (1/4 tablet) into eighths (1/8 tablet) is to cut it it horizontally through the middle of the section, like splitting the layers of a cake apart.

Using a pill cutter

This video How to Use a Pill Cutter might be helpful, though very basic and doesn't show closeups of using it. (I find the UMM site very helpful on many things.) One thing I would have added is that it's best to get a pill cutter that has a little line (indentation) coming down from the point (along the line the blade will fall), to use as a guideline in placing a scored pill - especially when cutting a pill smaller than 1/2. I cut my pill into fourths, so I find it works best for me to put the pill in with the scored line horizontal (as close as I can eyeball it - can take some maneuvering), the each half is "scored" and that score line aligned with the line on the cutter. I'll try to find more resources that might illustrate this.

Edited by Altostrata
added introduction

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Another resource: Pill splitting

One thing I've found is that I had to try different manufacturers of generics to find a brand that splits cleanly without crumbling. Had to try a few, found one that works best for my med, and stick with that one.

(Many pharmacies will only supply brand they have on hand, and that generally varies from time to time as prices fluctuate, they've told me. But I go to a small independent pharmacy, and they really cooperate. When I call in my refills, I always do so at least a few days before I need it (in case they have to special order it) and remind them it needs to be that specific brand. I've been doing that so long they always keep a supply of "my" brand on hand now.)

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

They'll do studies on just about anything (as long as doesn't reduce pharma profits):

Pill-Splitting: How To Correctly Split A Pill

Last Updated ( Mar 09, 2009 ) HealthyPlace.com

Researchers at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Asheville, N.C., studied patients to determine how effectively they were able to cut various types of splittable pills....

The researchers also wanted to know if detailed instructions from pharmacists made people better pill splitters.

"We had them use two fairly common splitting devices," [brian Peek, the clinical pharmacist who led the VA study] said of a hinged cutter and a special razor blade, both of which can be purchased at pharmacies.

All too often, Peek said, patients buy splitters from pharmacies and never ask for individual instruction. He and his colleagues set up the study to take that reality into account.

In the analysis, 30 men between the ages of 50 and 79 were assigned to rotating groups: splitter A with instruction and splitter A without instructions. The two groups used the hinged cutting device. There were also two splitter B groups, with and without instructions, using the razor.

Participants who were in the "instructed" groups were read how to split pills, followed by a demonstration of the practice. Pill splitters in the instructed groups were allowed time to ask questions. The groups receiving no instruction were simply read general information about the study itself.

Patients then were asked to split 14 tablets of each of these types: flat round tablets, irregularly shaped tablets, small oblong tablets and large oblong ones. Tablet weight before and after splitting was determined by an analytical weight.

In the end, regardless of group, researchers found patients' tablet-splitting resulted in dosage deviations between 9 percent and 37 percent from those intended. Peek said about 47 percent of patients in the study reported experience with having split pills on their own. And those with experience, regardless of instruction, were most accurate at splitting flat, round tablets. More deviations in dosage were found with the more irregularly shaped pills.

However, Peek added that an approximate deviation of as much as 10 percent may not be clinically significant with many medications that are split. Larger deviations in the study could prove hazardous for medications with a "narrow therapeutic index." Such an index, Peek said, refers to medications that can have under- or overdoses when inaccurately cut.

Warfarin, a powerful blood thinner, is a prime example of a narrowly indexed drug. Cutting away even slightly more than half of the drug eliminates the medication's therapeutic ability, leaving the patient vulnerable to dangerous clots. When too much of the medication is left on the split "half," patients are in danger of hemorrhaging.

"We hope that this study, along with others in the medical literature, will help health care providers make decisions about tablet splitting, especially when tablet-splitting is looked at as an option," Peek said.

http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/antidepressants/pill-splitting-how-to-correctly-split-a-pill/menu-id-68/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

How to cut a tablet into eighths?

Probably the best way to cut a tablet into eighths is to cut it into quarters and then split it again with a sharp knife from the side.

This is like taking a wedge of layer cake and then cutting between the layers.

If you are tapering, you will want to take the larger piece of the eighth and save the smaller pieces in a clean, dry container with a top for later.

also see How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Edited by Altostrata
added method for eighths

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 years later...

Question about tapering by cutting tablets. If you cut tablets and end up with a lot of little pieces, is it OK to save the pieces and use them later or do you have to throw your cut pieces away? If it's OK to save then, for how long? I'm not asking about extended release, just normal tablets. Thanks.

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can save the bits and use them towards future doses.  I would store them under the same conditions as the full tablets, darkened, sealed container with silica drying agent if you have it (those little pouches or cylinders that are included in the bottle, sometimes).  Store in a cool, dark place.  Try to use the bits towards the next doses rather than hanging onto them for months.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Thanks. None of my meds come with any drying agent, so I guess they don't need them. Yes, always darkened place and sealed container. Room temp is about 72 degrees. I hope that's OK.

• Moderator Emeritus

Should be.  When in doubt, check with your pharmacist about storage conditions of your meds.  If yours didn't come with a package insert/disclosures which would include such info, your pharmacist (or some searching on the web) can get those details for you.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Thanks. 72 degrees seems to be OK for the uncut tablet, so I guess that means it's OK for the cut tablet, too. I just won't keep the pieces more than a week. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good.  And if you find yourself having symptoms that aren't part of your normal pattern, then you can always revise and stop using the pieces to see if that makes a difference.  I saves pieces for my Remeron dry-cutting and had no trouble with it.  I did use them pretty quickly though, within a week, I'd say.

Good luck and happy tapering!

SG

• 4 weeks later...

I have a whole load of 10mg Escitalopram tabs left and once I've run out of my 5mg tabs will start cutting up the 10's.  Also, the pharma company helpfully made the tabs a long oblong shape, so very difficult to cut consistently each time.

My pill cutter is exactly like the one pictured at the top of the thread (Brandy's post).

Any suggestions as to how I can better accuracy cutting up the 10's?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Administrator

There may be other types of pill cutters that better fit an oblong tablet. If you find such, please post it in this topic.

Will do Alto.

The blue/plastic pill cutter works fine for symmetrically shaped pills i.e. round.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have a question about accuracy.

I have been dry cutting pills and using a scale to weigh the pieces. How exact does the weight need to be?

For example, I have pills that weigh .101. I was at .080 for a long time. Now I am trying to reduce by .001 every week. Hitting the desired weight exactly is so extremely difficult. I end up with lots of pieces. I try to assemble them to hit the right weight. I can't. I cut a little more. Oops, that was too much. Try a different little piece. Cut it a bit. It turns to crumbs. Try another piece. And on and on until I hit the desired weight exactly. It takes forever. Is this over-fussy?

BTW, the pills are amazingly consistent in their weight before I cut them. There is rarely one that is not .101. So I always ask for the same brand and get it special ordered. So I'm starting with a very consistent pill.

Is it possible to accurately make such small cuts and weigh them to such a small amount consistently?  Am I just kidding myself that I'm getting exactly the same dose every day all week because I'm being so careful and taking so long to cut each pill to exactly the right weight?

Thanks.

I am also very accurate. It takes 30 min- 1 hour for me each day to cut to the exact amount. It's exhausting, but I am quite used to it now. I dont know how to do it in another way.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Yes, that's about right. Takes half an hour or more to cut my pills and it's nerve wracking.

• 1 month later...

The question is ....is the drug evenly distributed?

morning on waking  0.5 lorazepam

pm 0.5 lorazepam

6pm 0.35 lorazepam

10pm 2mg Lexapro

12pm 0.3 lorazepam

12pm     2.5     Valium

Been Dry Cutting never stable ...constant depression and terror and fear. Nerve pain in the teeth causing gum recession and clenching all the time.

Not totally accurate as the 6am and 12pm arent always taken on time as sometimes i don't wake up on time also the 1mg tablet has no score on it so the first two doses can inaccurate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Pete, the answer is "it depends." To which drug are you referring?

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 months later...

Scallywag, I have the same question. I take a 25mg tablet of Seroquel. It has no score mark. I gave up trying to cut it and reduced it via suspension (suspend, pull, and pitch). I stopped reducing but the symptoms continue and are horrible. I am wondering if suspending is less accurate than cutting and I am messing up my doses. But if the drug is not evenly distributed, then suspending would be more accurate than cutting, right?

MN

• Moderator Emeritus

Seroquel is "moderately soluble" in water. If you have concerns about the dosage or about whether the liquid's faster absorption is causing problems, the most accurate and precise approach is dry-cutting the tablet and then weighing the result.

Using a digital scale to measure doses

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks. I have heard both ways. A chemist told me that she thought the scales were not accurate and suspending was more accurate, even with water. Wish I could afford OraPlus.

I was having bad symptoms dry cutting and was so frustrated by how bad I was at it (just don't have the fine motor skills to make those cuts), that I decided to switch to a suspension. But the symptoms have not improved. Probably have worsened. I only take Seroquel at bedtime. It does hit a bit faster as a liquid but not much. If you drop it in water, the tablet starts to degrade very quickly, so I imagine it's the same in the stomach, very quickly disintegrates.

Sadly, 25mg unscored is the smallest tablet Seroquel comes in. And I seem to have gotten as far as I can and am waiting for the neuropathy to settle down. It is awful and is not letting up.

• Moderator Emeritus

MNG:  I wasn't clear enough about the "if" in my post.

If you have concerns about the liquid absorbing too fast, then the next most accurate dosing tactic is to weigh the powder from a crushed tablet.

scallywag's Introduction

Ah, I see. No, given how fast this tablet disintegrates in plain old water, I don't think liquefying it makes much difference. As for weighing powder, I shudder to think of what would happen if I tried to measure little bits of powder. I miss the days when my son lived with me and could do hard stuff like that. Mr. Patience with the steady hand and clear eyesight of a young man! Ah, I was spoiled.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a thought that came to me. I weighed my Q tablet and found out that 25% of the weight of the tablet is actual medication. On the other hand, my V tablet has only a tiny amount of V compared to binders and fillers. I am thinking that the higher the percentage the med is, the more each little deviation from a perfect cut is going to matter, right? Maybe that's why I had such a hard time with dry cutting the Q. Maybe the symptoms I'm having now are still from the partial Q taper, especially when I as trying to dry cut.

• 9 months later...

How would i split a 20mg prozac capsule into a 5mg dose? I tried cutting it with scissors and the powder fell out. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed underlining

Prozac is the only drug i have taken.

I started taking it when i was around 15. I'm 21 years old now.

I was on one 20mg pill a day for about half the time i was on prozac. The other half of the time i was on two 20mg pills.

In the last two years or so i've been switching between one and two pills a day, which i probably shouldn't have been doing.

I have missed doses more than the average person on prozac i'd say. Sometimes i even forgot to take it for nearly a week. When i missed doses like that i would start to feel irritable and down in myself.

Before i decided to taper off of prozac aroundthe end of June i was mostly taking one 20mg pill a day but i would sometimes take two. 

I self tapered around the end of June until around the beginning of August. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You could open the capsule onto a piece of dark stiff paper and using a razor blade make a "line" of powder and then separate it in four.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

can someone recommend a really good pill cutter?  I tried a search on here, but nothing came up . I suppose because mostly scales and liquid is used, but initially I will be using a cutter and the one I have is crappy.

9/2018- lexapro low dose few days.11/3/2018- zoloft 2 days

11/7/18  - 11/15/18 - Prozac 9 days, from 10 mg for week, to 20

11/16  inpatient put on Lexapro for a few days, Cymbalta, 2 days

11/24-12/8 - gabapentin 100 mg 3xs per day - a very fast taper

1/7 - tbuspar for  three days- blurry vision, jerky eye

1/17/19 - 2/15/19- mirtazapine 15 mg - started taper on 1/30 

2/20/19 gabapentin 600 mg. .  12/20-  taper finished

2/20/19 - seroquel 25 mg current - taken  10 pm

2/20/19- luvox (generic) 25 mg.  4/6/19  to 18.75 mg .held  . Started taper again  1/7/21- 15 mg, 2/7/21- 12.5 mg, 3/7/21 -10 mg, 4/1/21- 9 mg, 5/1/21- 8.1 mg, 5/27/21- updose to 10 mg,  6/21-  in patient updose to 50 mg,  6/25/21- reduce to 10 mg (current) .  9/5- split dose 5mg am/5 mg pm.  9/20- 4 mg am/5 mg pm . 

9/1/21-  took one dose of vistril 50 mg.   

9/1/21-accidental double dose of seroquel- 50 mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

1 hour ago, BfromNJ said:

can someone recommend a really good pill cutter?  I tried a search on here, but nothing came up . I suppose because mostly scales and liquid is used, but initially I will be using a cutter and the one I have is crappy.

I don't have any brand to recommend (I just use a regular drug store pill cutter) but this link may be helpful regarding pill cutting technique:

How to cut up tablets or pills

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@BfromNJ  I've merged your topic into our pill cutting topic.  Before I switched to liquid, I used to cut pills and weigh them - I tried a pill cutter but couldn't make it work, so ended up cutting my pills with a sharp kitchen knife instead.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 4 months later...

Hello

i reduced to 5 and half beads. This is my second day on this dose from 6 beads. The original dose was 150 mg venlafaxine; 12 beads.

should I be concerned about the small varying size of the half tablet please? Many thanks x

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

If crushing tablets:

On 9/29/2019 at 8:04 AM, Frogie said:

I have been crushing my Xanax with the back of a spoon on a plate. It took forever to get them into a fine powder. That was the worst part about having to weigh them out and putting the powder in capsules.

I found, on Amazon.com a pill grinder. It’s made by B&C Home Goods and called Premium Pill Grinder. It was $15.99 and worth every penny. You pour the pills in, put the handle on and turn it. It grinds the pills into a fine powder and has a storage container on the bottom.

Just wanted to share in case anyone was interested in saving time and a mess crushing your pills by hand.

Take care,

Frogie xx

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hello guy,

I need advice. Now I am on 5.5 MG Seroxat. I would like to ask one question. I have 20 mg Seroxat pill on scale it is 0.250 so I am spliting in a half then i am shaving until my current dose. I am doing everything right?

AD: Seroxat since 2005 20 mg and tapering from March 2018 10% every 4 weeks.

15-11-2019 down to 5.5 mg 

28-12-2019 crashed really bad on 5.5mg 

01-01-2020 updose to 7mg

16-01-2020 Updose to 9 mg

Benzos: Bromazepam 1.5 mg daily since 2015

Quit CT Bromazepam 16-01-2020 No withdrawals 

Occasionally 1.5 mg extra

Last extra 1.5 mg 12-01-2020

That method will work fine.  I found shaving the pills to be tedious though.  For me it was easier to crush them and weigh out the required weight from the powder.  I would put that into empty gel capsules I had bought on line.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 1 month later...

Does someone cut the 12.5mg mini tablets in venlafaxine (vensir) capsules?  If so which pill cutter do you use?  I want to try the brass monkey slide.

Wishing you a healing and stable new year.

Missy E x

MissyE

2008 Dec-Feb 2009 GP diazipam; Dec-Jun 2009 fluoxetine. 2010 Jan citalopram approx 4 weeks, Jan- Aug fluox, Oct-Jun 2011 paroxetine; Aug - Dec venlafaxine 37.5mg - 75mg. 2012 Mar-Jul reinstate ven 150mg; Aug swap to fluox 40mg (preg) - Mar 2013  reinstate ven 150mg. 2015 Nov swap to fluox 40mg (preg) Dec suicidal reinstated ven 300mg

2018 Jan ven "pooped" buspirone added/stopped; pentagablin added; March pent stopped & ven taper - 0 June; August betablockers started/ stopped; September mirtazapine 15mg and diazepam 2mg started/stopped; October ven 300mg reinstated. 

2019 Jan psychiatrist added mirt 15mg (aiming for "California rocket fuel" therapeutic dose).  No more meds: gradual taper mirt Feb-April (taken for < 3 weeks).

Commenced ven taper 5-10% 6-10 weekly 2019 April - Nov: 225mg.  Tapering 8 weekly in alignment with menstrual cycle 2020 Jan 212.5mg; Mar 200mg; Jun 187.5mg hold

Oct all meds stopped sectioned under mental health act psychosis olanzapine 20mg PRN lorazepam

Dec 600mg lithium 15mg olanzapine

1-2g omega 3 & 400ug folic acid

2 puffs pulmicort inhaler.

This too shall pass.

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@Doco

Look in this link

Tips for tapering off buproprion (Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL)

at the section "Tapering methods for extended-release versions."  You will see instructions for splitting Wellbutrin XR.

It's better to post questions about your taper in your original Introduction topic.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy