High Calorie Foods

alexjuice

This may be an uncommon problem -- it certainly was for me before w/d -- but I can not get enough calories to maintain my weight. Every couple of weeks I see my psychiatrist who comments on my weight loss since last the meeting.

My problem is that currently I quickly fill up and overeating will induce nausea and bloating and more (oh my!). So I have trouble eating a large quantity of food. But, also, I have problems with GERD which required elimination of many high-calorie foods. I've simplified my diet to fruits, veggies and meats + a few. This seems to be working in that the GERD/GI is improving. But it's doing nothing for the weight loss.

I'm sure the problem is pretty plain. Once you cut out junk food while only eating small portions... you end up eating 800-1300 calories a day. Which is great, if you're a 5 year old. Not so good if you're a 6-2, 32 year old male with an ideal weight of 185-200 lbs depending upon composition. I really need 1900 at a minimum to maintain. Ideally, I need to gain some weight back, but this isn't as pressing as simply stopping the weight loss.

I have discovered all natural peanut butter. It has 200 calories per 2 tablespoons. So I split an apple (apples seem to help my tummy) and coat each slice with PB. This makes a big difference. The apple all alone will keep me full for hours but it has less than 100 calories. With the PB I can get it to 3 or 4 hundred depending upon how much gooey PB I can get on there. Also, I tolerate the PB well though other nuts seem to disagree with me, for instance brazil nuts.

But, otherwise, I am really struggling with this issue. I was 200 pounds at Jan 1. I am 160something April 21. I need to stop losing weight. But I'm not eating dairy, gluten, fried foods, etc.

Any cooks out there? Help me come up with some calorie-dense foods provided by mother nature!

Thanks.

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex,

Would something like a protein powder help?

Jay Robb seems to be a brand that people like.

Also, are you able to eat quality saturated fats like butter and olive oil that would add calories or does that cause bloating which fats can do?

It sounds like a very frustrating problem that I hope you solve.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

hi Alex,

i know nothing in cooking, 200 pounds(90 kg) then 160 (72 kg) in 4 months is alarming,

i try to eat milk, bread, chocolate, fruit and vegetables, little fish each day, but apparently you do it,

sorry

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

How are you with non-gluten carbs? Rice, potato?

BTW, good for you for cleaning up your diet so much and even trying non-gluten, non-dairy. :)

I've read that actors trying to bulk up for a role eat many meals all day. You don't wait until you're hungry; you wait until you *can* eat more. Small amounts, so as not to cause distress.

This is not high calorie, but are you eating legumes? You didn't mention them and they're so good for you.

This makes me wonder if the key to helping you gain weight is not necessarily eating more calories, but some missing ingredient in your diet???

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Alex,

I don't know if this is a good suggestion or not...I didn't have any food sensitivities in w/d. My son who is 18 is 6'3 and weighs 152...needless to say he is a stick. He has never been on any medication other than an occasional antibiotic. I started buying him Ensure to drink between meals. There are many different flavors and types under that brand. I'm concerned about his weight, but not overly since my father was the same all his life. Hope this might help.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

Thanks for the suggestions.

First, Hopeful, I'm 6-2 and when I was 17, I was 160 pounds too. It's pretty common for teenaged guys to have trouble gaining muscle with their metabolism. Like most, I filled out as I aged. I was at a great weight, for me, in October at about 190lbs. At his age a lot of guys drink a lot of whole milk or consume protein shakes if they want to add muscle mass. Ensure seems iffy for me as its got tons of ingredients that scare the crap out of me because of my sensitivity. For your son, it may/maynot be ideal. Protein in Ensure comes from soy which is not favored generally among weightlifters and athletes. It's complicated and I'm not the expert but soy protein has an undesirable effect on estrogen which turns off most guys. Here's a rant about why soy is the devil as a protein source... Anyway, your son is probably lucky. He'll put on some muscle just by filling out in his college years, but he'll stay lean and healthy for a long while. The gals will be all over him... :)

I've tried whey protein. No good, even the undenatured. Overstimulating.

I am avoiding dairy, but maybe juicing some cooking with butter would help. I might try that. In fact, Healing's suggestion is worth a try. I could bake a potato, put some butter and beans on it and pretend I was in a pub in Dublin having breakfast. Actually I had that exact breakfast in a pub in Dublin in my early 20s... Anyway, I've been avoiding potatoes but not b/c of any reaction so they are worth a try. Also, black beans are something I've been thinking of trying. Thats a combo that could pack some punch. Lastly, weight gain and loss is largely determined by fuel consumed vs fuel spent in healthy people. A healthy man my size burns 1800+ cals with only organ activity, no exercise. If I eat under 1000 calories a day, it would be a miracle if I stayed the same or gained weight over the long run. Could w/d alter this? Maybe, but I'm doubtful. I think I will keep losing if I can't eat...

Ensure. I actually bought some. But, like I said, it has so many frightening ingredients that I've only sampled it. I'm definitely afraid of it but will try to work up to drinking a bit more and see if I don't react to it. (I am more desperate than Hopeful's son.)

I have a ridiculous amount of hypersensitive reactions. It's just... there are no words. My throat is burning. I can't eat. If I take a supplement, I try a tiny amount. 1/25th of my b12 supp is too much. I take one drop (dosage rec is 25 drops mixed in water) and mix it with several drops of water, clean the dropper and then take a drop of a diluted drop.

Ridiculous.

I could get drunk on pineapple juice. Sardines are amphetamines to me.

In the last twelve months I have eliminated: artificial sweetener, chocolate, fast food, fried food, alcohol, coffee, milk, all dairy, nicotine, processed food, bread, high carb foods, cold cuts, canned meats, all caffeinated drinks, vegetable juice. Most days I drink nothing but water. Yada, yada... I'm still alive...

I'm trying apple cider vinegar today. We'll see.

I've had GI probs for two months and reflux probs for six weeks. I never had a problem like this before Feb 20something. I should probably go in to the gastro and have him take a look just to see if damage is being done to the esophagus.

Today was a very good eating day but was not close to good enough. Some chicken soup (a treat!), a hamburger patty, some cucumber slices with hummus and some steamed green beans and broccoli, plus a little pineapple juice (for digestion not drunkenness) and some apple cider vinegar. The soup was the big ticket item because I added lots of chicken pieces. The cucumber, broccoli and green beans have nothing significant for calories. The hummus is 100 calories for 4 tbspn and the beef patty is about 200 cal. So, depending on the bowl of soup, maybe 1000 today. Probably not that many.

I was a drug-induced 235 pounds when I went off Effexor/Risperdal 14 months ago. Things were fine for a while as I lost all that bad weight. I got down to 190 eating really clean. Then I had a bad reaction in October and I couldn't get out of bed for weeks. By Jan 1, I was back at 200. Then Febuary happened, and I keep dropping. 165 lbs now. I'm wasting away. I need to stabilize. I can not eat enough and then I am getting this reflux, heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, abdominal pain, yada yada... no poor me. But dang, man.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

Will think about it more, but just a quick question for now --

Have you tried eating small amounts very frequently? I'm wondering if this would be easier on your system than having "meals." I think people with reflux sometimes finds it helps to eat. Now, most people have to worry about weight gain. But not you, poor thing!

Also, did you ever try the baking soda? I'm tellin' ya -- it's a miracle cure.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Have you tried eating small amounts very frequently? I'm wondering if this would be easier on your system than having "meals." I think people with reflux sometimes finds it helps to eat. Now, most people have to worry about weight gain. But not you, poor thing!

Also, did you ever try the baking soda? I'm tellin' ya -- it's a miracle cure.

I mostly eat small amounts but not too frequently as I have no appetite. I can try to do better about this but it is very hard to eat when you are full and bloated from the apple you ate three hrs ago.

Anyway, I recognize that this is a problem most of America (not just people on/off meds) that is opposite to most concerns. For instance, I've had my bp drop to an undesirable level. There is very little information out there about how to 'raise your blood pressure' as the much more common problem is high bp.

I have not yet tried baking soda. I am just starting with a new 'cure' -- organic apple cider vinegar concoction that I got at the health food store -- that I want to give a chance to. If this doesn't "cure" me, I'm game for baking soda.

Thanks for you help.

alex.i

- Zimmerman

The gals will be all over him... :)

Ha! When he was in high school one of his teachers told me all the girls liked him because he was "glib". Don't know why anyone would like anyone that was glib...didn't quite get that or agree with her. :unsure:

Alex,

I did not know Ensure was soy based...thanks for that info. I usually research everything now...ad nauseam, but I didn’t the Ensure. I wasn’t sure if it would be a good choice for you due to everything in it just thought I would throw it out there...you never know what might help. I mentioned it to my son and he didn’t realize it either and said he didn’t think he’d get anymore. I forwarded the article to him...thanks, I appreciate it. He also drinks the Gatorade Protein drink. I haven’t researched that either...so don’t know if that would be something you might look at.

In regard to your blood pressure...I have had low blood pressure during w/d and regular Gatorade helped. The doctor also told me to eat more salt. I think there are some stocking type socks you can wear to help too...you might want to ask your doctor about those.

I cannot take vitamins or supplements...Omega 3 makes me feel like I could bounce off the walls. I can’t even tolerate children’s vitamins... too stimulating. About the only supplement I can take is the magnesium, but I didn’t really see where it helped anything for me in w/d and I definitely wouldn’t recommend it to you with the GI problems now. But, prior to ssris vitamins made me feel wired and my son says they do the same to him. The only time I could take vitamins and felt good taking them was when I was pregnant with my two kids. So don’t worry too much about trying them...some people just can’t take them.

This may seem “off the wall” but, during early w/d (I lost 30 lbs.) I had a hard time eating, but pumpkin pie seemed to be something I could eat. (The Libby’s pumpkin in the can you can add the ingredients yourself so you can control what you put in it.) It has eggs and evaporated milk so you are getting some good calories if you can tolerate it. Just a thought.

Take care,

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

That's interesting about the pumpkin pie, Hopeful, because you're supposed to give your cat canned pumpkin (sans sugar) when it has diarrhea! I love these old-fashioned cures.

Alex -- I wanted to add about the baking soda -- I've heard that 'alkalinizing' your diet can help a lot of digestive problems. I don't know much about it. Might be worth taking a gander.

That's interesting about the pumpkin pie, Hopeful, because you're supposed to give your cat canned pumpkin (sans sugar) when it has diarrhea! I love these old-fashioned cures.

Alex -- I wanted to add about the baking soda -- I've heard that 'alkalinizing' your diet can help a lot of digestive problems. I don't know much about it. Might be worth taking a gander.

It definitely was "comfort food" for me then.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

Ha! When he was in high school one of his teachers told me all the girls liked him because he was "glib". Don't know why anyone would like anyone that was glib...didn't quite get that or agree with her. :unsure:

She probably meant that he had charisma and didn't take himself too seriously. Everyone likes a a guy with some self-confidence and sense of humor. Of course, having not meant you, your son, or his teacher... who am i to say!

If his interested in protein supplements the forums on bodybuilding.com are a really good place to go. They are fitness forums not just forums for "bodybuilders" and there are probably millions of posts on everything you could imagine regarding physical fitness. I'd recommend he look for advice there.

In regard to your blood pressure...I have had low blood pressure during w/d and regular Gatorade helped. The doctor also told me to eat more salt. I think there are some stocking type socks you can wear to help too...you might want to ask your doctor about those.

Yea. I've increased sodium and I drink a lot of water. I was told about the compression stockings (or whatever they're called) but I hope it doesn't get to that. There is also a salt hormone that can be prescribed but, again, I'm going on memory of what my neurologist told me. Right now, I am hoping things get better with my healing.

I cannot take vitamins or supplements...Omega 3 makes me feel like I could bounce off the walls. I can’t even tolerate children’s vitamins... too stimulating. About the only supplement I can take is the magnesium, but I didn’t really see where it helped anything for me in w/d and I definitely wouldn’t recommend it to you with the GI problems now.

Yea. I relate. I can't do much. I do better if I get the nutrients through foods but that's not failproof either -- I tried to grind some flax seeds for omega 3 with a bad result. I take zinc though and seem to tolerate it. It helps with pain and functioning below the belt.

This may seem “off the wall” but, during early w/d (I lost 30 lbs.) I had a hard time eating, but pumpkin pie seemed to be something I could eat. (The Libby’s pumpkin in the can you can add the ingredients yourself so you can control what you put in it.) It has eggs and evaporated milk so you are getting some good calories if you can tolerate it. Just a thought.

How could I not like that? Maybe I'll try that in a while if not otherwise improving. I do love pumpkin pie.

Thanks for all the great ideas...

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

If his interested in protein supplements the forums on bodybuilding.com are a really good place to go. They are fitness forums not just forums for "bodybuilders" and there are probably millions of posts on everything you could imagine regarding physical fitness. I'd recommend he look for advice there.

I take zinc though and seem to tolerate it.

Thanks, Alex...I passed the info on to him.

Be careful with the Zinc I tried to take it years also (before ssris) because I was told it would help with eczema...it didn't. Also, there are lawsuit commercials on in my area (East Coast) for people with major problems from getting too much Zinc from Zinc based denture adhesive. You might want to check that out...

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

• Administrator

Alex, is yogurt out for you? Sometimes people can eat it even they can't eat dairy.

There have been periods when my stomach was hypersensitive and I lived on poached organic chicken, sometimes in broth with ramen and chopped veggies; yogurt; and kefir, a yogurt drink. Also toast with butter.

You might find macadamia nut butter has even more calories than peanut butter. Is there Trader Joe's where you live? They have all kinds of organic-type food at low cost.

(Now I can eat just about anything, even working up to Mexican food.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have been for the last two days experimenting with enzymeduca digest gold. It has been effective in getting my stomach to digest and get food going. This has allowed me to eat.

Unforuntately, I am having some adverse effects as well.

These include:

stimulation: insomnia, resting pulse 110+, bp up, sweating

spontaneous erection: (???? Not normal)

Difficulty coordination

Unable to stay awake (opposite of stimulant effect)

Dry mouth

Confusion

And (a positive) decrease in STRESSFEAR!

... I'm forgetting many others for sure.

Basically, it's working to a degree for the GI, I am certain. I can probably start to regain my weight if I stay on... assuming the side effects or adverse effects aren't worse for me than the wasting. I've been experimenting with dosing, trying less and less.

See a gastro in one week.

Still trying to reach a doctor on the west coast for consult.

Not sure, naturally, what to do.

I'd rather save the digestive system.

I was thinking of linking to pictures of my weight loss. But not sure if that would be appropriate.

I wish I was feeling okay to make a proper update in the Alex thread. Not right now.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

Created a page for pics of body changes during w/d.

http://medslikethiswillkillyou.blogspot.com/

If pics are inappropriate, mods can remove.

Alex

- Zimmerman

First of all, you're doing a great job figuring this out.

The Enzymedica sounds like a promising possibility. I don't know anything about enzymes, but this seems like a reasonable principle -- increase the digestive enzymes to help you digest.

We're so sensitive to substances of any sort for awhile after taking psych meds, that you may find that you just need an infinitesimal dose of the Enzymedica to do the job, and then you will get relief from the side effects.

Also, your body may adjust to the enzymes, and then you'd get relief from the side effects.

Also, your body may be adjusting to getting more nutrition suddenly.

I looked at your pics, and it's definitely disturbing, but you're going to get through this. You have your excellent mind, and a lot of good minds here to keep helping you figure this out.

I've been sending you healing energy all day.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, you're doing a great job figuring this out.

I looked at your pics, and it's definitely disturbing, but you're going to get through this. You have your excellent mind, and a lot of good minds here to keep helping you figure this out.

I've been sending you healing energy all day.

Healing, thanks for the veryvery kind words and good energy. I felt some good energy, healing energy that warmed my heart, the other day and wondered from where it came. Now I realize I have you to thank!

I am able to eat much better of late (fingers crossed). The dance with the enzymes flared up some other symptoms but... did I mention I can eat?!

I appreciate the compliment about my mind. That I even have a functioning mind must be some stroke of luck. My brain has taken 13 years of beating and not just by psych Drugs. As I've talked about, I became an alcohol abuser and (later) illicit drug abuser while taking SSRIs. Fact is I still have a lot of cognitive problems -- you should see what some of my posts look like on first pass. But, after all that I have been through, I realize it's a near-miracle to still have enough neurons to do good things. I can find workarounds for all the activities my deficits make challenging. I'm lucky to even be alive in some ways. Many of the people I knew from my drug abusing days have died.

They always said I was a survivor. That's all of us on this board for sure.

I hope you find yourself feeling peaceful yet zestful today.

Alex.I

- Zimmerman

I am able to eat much better of late (fingers crossed). The dance with the enzymes flared up some other symptoms but... did I mention I can eat?!

That so great to hear, Alex! Keeping fingers crossed then.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Thanks neuro!

Eating a good bit better. Still keeping fingers crossed!

It's funny too because my body is really craving food. It's been undernourished for a long time. But I made a bad decision yesterday when I had three pieces of pie which seemed to inflame all of my symptoms. Way too much sugar. But I couldn't help myself...

I have gained a pound or two but the more important thing is that I have stopped losing weight. I think I need to build back up to a good level of intake and then I can hopefully start to regain some weight and better provide nutrition for my body.

This will be a process.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

Way too much sugar. But I couldn't help myself...

No worry. I have the same. In the absence of any joy out there (still pretty much anhedonic), the temptation to at least partially compensate it by eating the no-no foods is always present in my case. Every time I go overboard with sugar, I'm into another flare-up. The more times passes, though, the more I realize that sometimes, if even for the sake of venting our frustration, it's good to go the no-no route. Yes, we pay for it afterwards, but for a short moment at least we feel more human.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy