SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

fj929: my hell

fj929

As unbelievable as this story sounds it is true and here goes. I had been taking 10mg of Paxil for over 8 years with no issues. I then decided to start withdrawing from the medicine to see if I could still manage (I take it for Generalized Anxiety Disorder). I weaned myself from 10 to 7.5 and stayed on that does for months with no withdrawal symptoms or issues. I then dropped to 5mg again with no issues and stayed on that dose for months as well. I then went to 2.5mg again no withdrawal and I stayed on that for months.

Last November I decided to experiment and see if 5htp would help alleviate my anxiety in any way. I took a dose of 50mg for about 2months before it started making me extremely shaky and jittery. At the same time I had dropped my Paxil down to about 1mg so I am not sure if it was the HTp or the Pax that caused the issue but I decided to play it safe and discontinue the Paxil. I upped my dose of Paxil back to 2.5mg and it took about 1 week for the jitteriness to fade. After that I felt like my old self for about 2 weeks. Then I started suffering from dizziness and just overall bad feeling on a regular basis this went on for about 2months. One day I felt so horrible I decided to see if it was the Paxil and upped my dose to 5mg. Within 1 hour I went from being bedridden to being %100 fine. I had my answer, I for some reason needed a higher dose of Paxil. I did fine for two days on a higher dose and then got even sicker than I had been. I toughed it out for 2weeks and but the side effects were horrendous, shakiness, disorientation and extreme dizziness. I then went back to 2.5mg and felt ok for a couple of days and then the symptoms all came back again. I stuck it out on the 2.5mg for about another week and then I just couldn't take it anymore so I stopped taking the pax altogether. That was 6 weeks ago. I felt ok the first week but since the second week I have had horrible sickness, dizziness, insomnia and have been an emotional wreck constantly crying (I have never had depression issues). I have missed significant time from work and now in week 6 this is showing no signs of letting up. Withdrawal was so bad and my Psych said that a low dose prozac would alleviate my symptoms. I have been taking 5mg of Prozac for about 2 weeks and it is not helping. How long should I expect to continue suffering?

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fj929

• Altostrata

• xDebbiejo

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Hello, Fj929. I moved this post here as your Introductions and Updates topic.In November, were you feeling anxious?It does sound like 5-HTP destabilized your nervous system, which might have been vulnerable because of the Paxil decreases. Now it sounds like you definitely have Paxil withdrawal syndrome.Substituting Prozac doesn't always work. I guess you might try increasing the Prozac. Using liquid Prozac might be a safer strategy because you can titrate up by very small amounts to see if it helps. For example, you might find relief at 6.5mg. I'm sorry, there's no guarantee for that, either.You are the third person to come here and report problems with SAM-e or 5-HTP. We do not recommend anyone take these supplements when reducing an antidepressant because they are activating -- they increase jitteriness, anxiety, and sleeplessness.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Fj!I tried 5 HTP a few years ago after an attempted wean from Cipralex and boy, oh boy, it made me soooooooo agitated and anxious.Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

I know this is a loaded question but how long can I expect to feel this poorly? It is 6 weeks today. My brain feels like jello (although I'm not sure if it's the prozac or the withdrawal). Any help with Insomnia? I can't sleep at all without prescription sleep meds no matter what I do.

Thanks

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

• Moderator Emeritus

I know this is a loaded question but how long can I expect to feel this poorly? It is 6 weeks today. My brain feels like jello (although I'm not sure if it's the prozac or the withdrawal). Any help with Insomnia? I can't sleep at all without prescription sleep meds no matter what I do.Thanks
Fj, what are you taking for prescription sleep meds. If benzos or zdrugs, they are usually only effective for a few weeks at most then have their own addictive foot print. If this is what you are on, are you taking them every night. The level or insomnia you describe sounds dreadful to say the least, really the pits.I won't look at HTTP or Sam-E again the same way, the negative stories that have come thru here of late are alarming. You must feel like hitting a wall in frustration. One would think that substances with the potential for so much harm would be regulated..yeah, right, like ADs are.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi Fj. Welcome to the forum. It either sounds like the Prozac isn't working for you, or it's too low of a dose to make a difference. I don't know. I was taking a benzo for sleep, only .5 mg at night. Then I discovered that I was going into a daily withdrawal because the benzo is such a short half life. If your sleep aid is a benzo, that might be a problem like Shuyler said.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

....Last November I decided to experiment and see if 5htp would help alleviate my anxiety in any way....
Were you feeling anxious? Was this different from the way you felt at your full dose of Paxil?At this point, your nervous system has become destabilized and you have antidepressant withdrawal syndrome.I don't know if increasing the Prozac will help, it might. But you may not be able to attain the same stability you had before on Paxil.Whatever you're taking for sleep might be complicating the situation.There is no guarantee that any of this will work. Once you've had a severe reaction to an antidepressant, often your nervous system is sensitized and you can't take an antidepressant again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I stopped the Prozac and am now on Paxil again. I introduced the 2.5mg dose I was last on. I am sooo desperate to end this suffering as everything is at stake. I cannot take care of my family my mind is mush and I fear I will soon be losing my job. So far no adverse reactions to the Pax but no relief from the withdrawal either. For those of you who reintroduced Paxil to end your withdrawal how long did it take to get relief? Did you get relief? Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Hi FjSo sorry to hear you are suffering at present. I came of seroxat/Paxil too fast and had to start taking it again. It did take a while before I stabilised as I was advised to up dose slowly. I had to take diazepam in the mornings as that's when my anxiety (from the withdrawal) was worst. I am just about stable now and am on 12mg and will be staying on that for a few months whilst I taper my diazepam.I have not taken any other meds though.I was advised from the good people on this site to slowly up dose and kept asking how long till I stabilise - patience I was told ! Did exactly what was advised and am now feeling somewhat normal again, from not being able to get out of bed.I'm sure alto will be able to advise, I wouldn't have known what to do if I hadn't got the support of this site, which I'm so grateful !!I hope you stabilise soonXx

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

Stable - Tapered Diazepam slowish.1st June 10mg Seroxat

2nd June 1mg Diazepam.15th June 9mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

2nd August 8mg/4ml Seroxat/Paxil 2nd August 1.5 ml Diazepam

18th Aug 2012 1ml Diazepam 1st - 5th Sept 0.5

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

Thanks DebbieJo.

How long were you off before you went back on a low dose?

Thanks

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

How long did it take for you to start seeing relief? What were your symptoms other than anxiety?

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

I think I was off for about six weeks.

Syptoms - extremely emotional, crying all the while, burning feeling under my skin, jitttery, feeling sick, lost 30lb in weight as could not eat. I could sleep at night though, just woke early - had to black out my windows so completely dark in the morning - took about 6 weeks for me to stabilise I think.

Patience is the key - I was up dosing every 1-2 weeks but I think you can after four days BUT I would check with alto.

I do hope you get some relief soon

Debbie xx

17 years on seroxat/paxil CT off - thought I was dying luckily found this site. 21st May 2012 12mg seroxat

2nd July Changed to 2.5[ml liquid diazepam]2mg=5ml. 16th July 2ml Liquid Diazepam

Diazepam Free!

13th Oct 7mg/3.5ml seroxat - 26 Jan 2013 3.25ml/6.5mg-Mar 3ml-April 2.7ml-May 2.5ml

01/07/14 very slow taper over the last year now on 0.5 ml of liquid Seroxat ......November 14 Seroat Free!!!!!!!

Thanks, Debbie. Did you have any issues getting back on? Any side effects? I am defintley getting dizzy and I am now on day 3 taking the drug. I hope to god I can tolerate the drug and stabilize I have 2 daughters I have to raise. This is the worst experience of my life. How long did it take for your sleep to normalize? My isnomnia is terrible at the moment.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Hi FjNo I didn't have any issues going back on my withdrawal issues just got less and less until I was stable.I tried going back on the low dose I finished at but gradually increased to 12mg of the liquid. I'm staying put for a while now. I didn't have any sleep problems apart from waking early, so I blacked out my windows which also helped the horrible anxiety which was worse in the mornings. As I up dosed I began to start feeling somewhat normal after 6 in the evening at first and now I'm just about ok - the past few days tho I've been sleeping a lot but I guess that the whole withdrawal episode was a shock to the system.You will probably need to up dose until you feel stable but I'm not experienced in all this so it's best to get advice from others on the site.Have you got a husband or any family that could help with your daughters for a short while? Or friends?I forgot to say I also had to go to the doctors as I thought I was having some kind of stroke, my tongue, fingers and feet went all tingly and numb - it was the anxiety caused by withdrawal.Do hope you stabilise soonDebbie xx

Diazepam Free!

Thanks Debbie,

I am married and have a wife who helps with the kids she has been great throughout this whole thing. You say you started to feel somewhat normal again after 6 weeks but how long did it take for you notice at least some relief? I'm suffering so much I am desperate!!!!

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Hi FjIt's good to hear you have a supporting wife.Were you stable on Paxil before withdrawing and what dose were you on?Are you just taking Paxil now or are you on anything else too?Maybe you should up your dose a little as 2.5 is quite a low dose but it has to be done gradually - I hope someone else can come along and advise as I'm not experienced to advise. I would up it to 5 mg for a few days to see if that helps but also it depends what other meds you're on.I got slowly better but still had up and down days and was very sensitive to any slight problem or comment that was said and would bring on anxiety in the way of burning in my chest.I am taking fish oil and I'm looking for magnesium but it's hard to find without any additives - but you could try Epsom salts in a bath at night as that might help you sleep but not too much at first.As your suffering with not sleeping I guess this will make any symptoms 50 times worse.I'm hope alto picks up on this so she can advise.Hang I'm there Hawk - have a look at symptoms and what helps I think there is a topic on sleepingDebbie xx

Diazepam Free!

• Moderator Emeritus

Fj, this isn't going to give you any immediate help. I am so sorry for the way you are suffering and the way you've suffered.You need to Stop. Changing. Anything.These drugs aren't like aspirin. They don't just work while they're in our bodies and then go away. These drugs cause changes in our brain chemistry. Our brain interprets that as a life or death crisis, because the nervous system is really important to the functioning of the organism. Our brain does whatever it can to try to renormalize its chemistry. This means making changes that are structural and epigenetic and not easily or quickly reversed.Genes get turned on and other genes get turned off. Receptors and entire cells are constructed and grown and others are destroyed. None of this is very efficient, since our brains have never before in the history of life on Earth encountered anything like what these drugs do to them, so they haven't evolved efficient ways to fix it. But they do the best they can.I use the analogy of a plant on a trellis. The trellis is the chemistry caused by the drug. The plant is the brain. The brain reshapes itself around the trellis. It is interwoven with the trellis and dependent on it.When we change, remove, add back in drugs, et cetera, it's like we're yanking the trellis out, shoving it back in, yanking it out and shoving a different one in, cutting half of it out, trying to shove that half back in--I think you get the picture. It wouldn't do a plant any good and it's not good for our brains either.And our brains behave MUCH more like plants than they do like computers or machines. Brains are living organisms, created by the same creator, using the same mechanisms and templates, as plants and animals. They are not machines.They are indescribably complex and indescribably vulnerable.So basically things are kind of mangled. They won't get un-mangled by adding and subtracting more drugs. That will just mangle them more. (Ask Alex if you don't believe me. And believe me, I am speaking from my own very painful experience too.)I understand that you're desperate and you want to do something something ANYTHING ANYTHING. You'd probably cut your foot off at this point if you knew that would make your symptoms and suffering go away.Unfortunately what you have to do now is the hardest thing of all to do. You need to stop changing things up. You need to give your brain time to heal. Your initial taper of Paxil was good, it allowed your brain time to heal between cuts, which is why it went well. Then the 5-HTP combined with what was probably an excessive reduction of Paxil to 1 mg (you have to make smaller cuts at lower doses) was just too much, and since then your brain hasn't managed to restabilize.This is all just my opinion, of course. Your doctor will probably want to give you more and different drugs. If she or he is extremely experienced with psych drug withdrawal issues, she or he may be able to come up with something that will help. As far as I know there are only a handful of docs in the US who have this kind of experience and insight.If not, your best bet is to hang in there, don't change things around, pick a dose and hold it until you heal.This can take a long time, a lot longer than you would like (months at the very least), but in my experience it's what works.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

This is a difficult situation.The Prozac didn't help and the Paxil didn't help. There's no way to tell if a higher dose of either will do the job, or make you feel worse.I'm sorry, Fj. Once your nervous system is destabilized, it's a toss-up. Rhi is correct, adding and decreasing drugs adds to destabilization. At this point, it's possible your nervous system will over-react to anything.The Internet is full of people who have tapered too quickly off Effexor, Paxil, Zoloft (and more recently, Cymbalta) who have severe withdrawal syndrome like yours.Still looking for the answer to this question:

Last November I decided to experiment and see if 5htp would help alleviate my anxiety in any way....
Were you feeling anxious? Was this different from the way you felt at your full dose of Paxil?

Hi, sorry you're having such a hard time.

I came off Effexor too quickly and reinstated after 5 weeks off. It took me about 2 weeks to feel any relief, but I've heard it cane take up to 8 weeks.

I found I could no longer tolerate my original dose (75mg), so had to stick to 37.5mg.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

Thanks Rhi,

At this point I am day3 with reintroducing Paxil so I am going to stick it out with that and hope to stabilize.

ALto when I lowered my dose to 2.5mg I had a slight increase in anxiety but nothing that I couldn't manage. The anxiety was not different than what I have always had just slightly more pronounced than what it was when I was at 10mg. It didn't feel like withdrawal anxiety and by supplementing 5htp I wondered if it would aleviate that but it did not. My hope was to start using a natural product as opposed to an SSRI. What it did do however was clear my brain fog that I have had for years. It was amazing.

Debbie I am suffering from more than just not sleeping. Severe depression (never had it before ever) intense brain fog and a sick feeling which is very difficult to describe but i just feel very weird and sick and cannot sit in front of a pc for very long. It has been absolute hell. I tapered from 10mg to 2.5 over the course of a year or so and did not have any withdrawal. Once I started getting lower than 2.5 however I felt the withdrawal and became unstable. I am hoping the suffering ends soon. My Psych gave me Prozac at 3 weeks out telling me it would begin to alleviate my withdrawal in 2-8days. It did not. I have heard from others that there is no guarantee another SSRi will cure your withdrawal and the original may be needed and you also only have a limited window to reintroduce the drug before it's too late. This is the reason I went back on Paxil. I was in severe fear that I would be sick for a very prolonged period of time. I just want my life back.

I really appreciate everyones advice you people are a Godsend.

Thank You

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Fj,I'm very sorry you're having such a horrible experience. Maybe a little late, but welcome aboard, just sorry you need to be here. Rhi gave a great illustration with the plant and trellis. I understand how desperate you are (I think we all do, unfortunately). Its hard to be patient and remain calm but we MUST make every effort to do just that. That's something I've had to discipline myself on and when we are feeling the horrid WDs it's easier said than done. You will get the best advice possible from the admins on this forum. Alto has done much research in addition to experience ( I'm sure the others have as well ). We are all suffering but it will get better. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.God bless,Tezza

Hi Fj,I am sorry you are in this hell. It's like a nightmare that won't end. I am one of the horror stories from Sam-e that is getting help and support from this community. I am nearly 8 months off and still have a destabilized nervous system, albeit much better than early days of withdrawal. You will find my story in the intro area. To me it seems that perhaps you were getting anxiety from the 5htp, and then abrupt withdrawal from that upset everything.I am sorry to say it seems the only way out is through. I read early that 18 months to normal is not unusual, and eight months in I totally see that now.I would caution you about the natural products, Sam-e wrecked my brain going on eight months, and I only took for three. There is a fair amount of negative feedback out on Sam-e regarding it inducing anxiety in those who are anxiety prone. You just have to be looking for it. I think a lot of it is suppressed by profit driven folks (I wrote a negative sam-e review for Costco.com and the admin didn't post it!).Exercise, eat very healthy, drink lots of water. Avoid caffiene and alcohol entirely. For me, eliminating artificial sweeteners calmed down the incessant heart palpitations.It's horrific, but this is a supportive community with so much to help you survive.

For those that reinstatement worked did you find that the Brain Fog goes away? It is so debilitating right now.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Hi hawk

Sorry to hear you are suffering with brain fog, I thought I might have it but I don't.

Are you staying put with 2.5 ?

Have you managed to sleep at all?

Are you getting any relief at all from your symptoms ?

I read your replies to your post so I guess you will just have to hang in there. You need to try and get out and walk if you can! It does help but take it easy if you're not eating. I have only just started eating again, it's important you eat the right food too.

Debbie x

Diazepam Free!

Honestly Debbie I do feel somewhat better since being back on the Pax not as extremely sick as I was but the brain fog just has to go away it is so severe right now.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

• Administrator

Fj, you've been back on Paxil only a few days. Give it time.There is no instant cure for withdrawal syndrome.

I know Alto I know I'm just sooo scared. Have you found that when others reinstate the fog clears?

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

• Administrator

I can tell by your questions you're really anxious.

One thing that's important to do is concentrate on staying calm. Worrying increases the withdrawal symptoms.

Do slow meditative breathing when you start to worry. See Non-drug techniques to cope with withdrawal symptoms

Try to distract yourself with activities you enjoy.

People vary in their response to reinstatement. If you feel better now, that's a good sign.

I'm trying Alto but I feel like I'm losing everything I have worked so hard for. I'm on the edge.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

• Administrator

I'm trying Alto but I feel like I'm losing everything I have worked so hard for. I'm on the edge.
Hi Fj,

This reaction is NORMAL in withdrawal. In withdrawal your worst fears seem to feel so real - it is called neuro-emotion. It is the drug reaction and not your reality.

I went through this last fall when I decremented my Effexor dosage too rapidly. I suddenly had these irrational fears that my husband would leave me, I'd lose my job, I'd lose everything - it felt like if I died it would be a relief, but then I felt guilty that I wouldn't leave my husband enough money to live on. Completely irrational fears. I didn't lose my job, my husband is as supportive as ever, I've actually started putting away more money for retirement - I no longer give into these irrational fears. I realize that we do the best we can and the universe is full of amazing possibilities as long as we are open to them.

You have to tell yourself that this is neuro-emotion and these fears are not real. Focus on making it from moment to moment. Distract yourself if possible. When you emerge from the withdrawal syndrome you will have a more rational sense about these things.

If you really feel that your work is that challenged, you might look into taking a short-term leave of absence. I found going to work a welcome distraction for my irrational fears and anxiety, but not everyone feels that way.

Hang in there. Several of us have been through this and come out the other side.

Sending you healing energy, love and light. Posted Image
2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Karma,Thank you for sharing that. You always sound so SANE and rational, it's hard to imagine you otherwise.HUGS!Sorry for the detour, Fj! Here's the thread on NEUROEMOTION. I visit it regularly!http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/137-neuro-emotion/page__pid__22907__st__40#entry22907B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks Guys, I am actually on leave right now from work as I have been way to sick to go in.

My major symptoms at the moment are

Brain Fog and memory Loss

Insomnia

Fatigue and Akasthia

depression

One of the things I am having a very hard time finding is whether reinstatement alleviates these types of withdrawal symptoms. I have found many a post on people who were suffering from increased anxiety and or depression and reinstatement eventually kicked in and helped for some but nothing on some of the other symptoms above. Can anyone comment on others who have or have not seen any help especially with the Brain Fog, and Insomnia.

I just pray to God that the reinstatement starts alleviating these symptoms. Day 6 at 2.5mg which was my last dose.

God HELP ME!!!

Thanks Everyone you guys are awesome.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

• Administrator

Hey Fj,I actually did get relief from the brain fog and insomnia after my Effexor up-dose kicked in. Mind you, I wasn't completely off of Effexor just experiencing severe withdrawals.I had to do some things to help myself sleep. On occasion I use 1/4 - 1 mg melatonin to help me sleep, but I no longer need it. I've taken as much as 3 mg Melatonin. You could also try seriphos or phosphytidalserine - I used about 400 mg phosphytidalserine to start. All of these reduce the cortisol surge in your system to help you fall asleep naturally.I also started a habit of turning off the computer no later than 8:00 PM so that I could get my body ready for sleep. I then would lie down on the sofa around 8:30 with the TV on to allow myself to start unwinding. They say that if you go to bed and are awake for 20 minutes you should get out of bed and read a book or something until you get drowsy. Based on that theory, I find that if I can start to settle myself down on the sofa that when I hit the bed I can fall asleep. It will take a little practice, but you are creating a new habit. Check out the symptoms and what helps section for more suggestions on sleep.Hope something here is helpful.Love and light,Karma

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Hi FjSorry to hear you are suffering with brain fog, I thought I might have it but I don't.Are you staying put with 2.5 ?Have you managed to sleep at all?Are you getting any relief at all from your symptoms ?I read your replies to your post so I guess you will just have to hang in there. You need to try and get out and walk if you can! It does help but take it easy if you're not eating. I have only just started eating again, it's important you eat the right food too.Debbie x
I bumped up to 5mg and plan on staying there. The only way I can describe my brain fog is as though I am stoned. I have no memory whatsoever and the world is a fog to me. It's debilitating and I cannot function at all. I cannot sleep without the help of either a xanax, ambien or lunesta. I keep alternating between the 3 as to avoid any addiction.I have had a few windows where I got relief with all but the insomnia. Brain fog improved but far far from normal. I am now 9days back on and still suffering. GOD HELP ME!!!!

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Hey Fj,I actually did get relief from the brain fog and insomnia after my Effexor up-dose kicked in. Mind you, I wasn't completely off of Effexor just experiencing severe withdrawals.I had to do some things to help myself sleep. On occasion I use 1/4 - 1 mg melatonin to help me sleep, but I no longer need it. I've taken as much as 3 mg Melatonin. You could also try seriphos or phosphytidalserine - I used about 400 mg phosphytidalserine to start. All of these reduce the cortisol surge in your system to help you fall asleep naturally.I also started a habit of turning off the computer no later than 8:00 PM so that I could get my body ready for sleep. I then would lie down on the sofa around 8:30 with the TV on to allow myself to start unwinding. They say that if you go to bed and are awake for 20 minutes you should get out of bed and read a book or something until you get drowsy. Based on that theory, I find that if I can start to settle myself down on the sofa that when I hit the bed I can fall asleep. It will take a little practice, but you are creating a new habit. Check out the symptoms and what helps section for more suggestions on sleep.Hope something here is helpful.Love and light,Karma
How long did it take for the updose to kick in?

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

I am suffering terribly from Paxil withdrawal at the moment.

I was 3 weeks off when My Psyc recomended Prozac which I took for 2 weeks but it didn't do anything. I am now back on Paxil 6 weeks after my last dose.

last dose was 2.5mg I am currently taking 5mg and have been for about 5days. 7 days on 2.5 5days on 5mg. I have found no relief after 12days for my withdrawal which is unbearable.

Extreme Brain fog

Insomnia

fatigue

Akasthia

Depression (never had this before WD)

How long before I should consider updosing? I would like to stay at 5mg but I am desperate to find relief.

Thanks

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O