LonelyMan: Seeking advice, support and comfort for my tapering

LonelyMan

Hey all,

So this is how it is for me. In late April I was put on 50mg a day pristiq and .25mg a day of alprazolamz. pristiq was for anxiety taken in morning and alpra* was to help me sleep (took it 1hr before bed!)

I don't have a GP/rd/anything I regularly see because I jst moved to town. I went to get my .25mg of alpra* refilled but the dr who prescribed it to me was on holidays so I went and saw another dr. He told me that aplra* was very addictive and changed me to temanzapan 10mg as needed. And to try taking .5 a tablet on nights when I feel I can...

Now my issue has I have used Dr Google and all these different forums and gotten myself freaked out about these drugs. I am by myself with no friends or family in the town I live in and I was put on these drugs due to anxiety and light insomnia due to the person I work with on a 1to1 basis harassing me and bullying me!!! (I can't change jobs because I well in this climate I just can't.)

But my thing is I am worried I am going to be dependant on these drugs and would really like to start tapering now.

I am about I start seeing a counsellor to help me through all these issues.

But yes I am worried that I am already "addicted" to these drugs. I can't really talk to the drs about it/they seem to only want to get me in and send me out... Doesn't seem to care much!!!

Anyways. I was wondering of anyone could offer me some advice on ether tapering or such. I've only been on these drugs since 20/4 (replacing the .25mg of aplra to temanzapan 10mg on the 31/5).

I am not to sure if I want to be on these drugs if it's going to be that painful to get off them. I would rather to though the pain I was going though than the pain it seems I'll go through when I get off them??

So could someone plEase give me a bit of advice of possible/support or hinters that might help!

God bless!!!

Tim

Welcome to a fantastic forum. Some one will chime in shortly with good advice.

I think you are very smart to get out off of them now, before your body is too addicted. Did you notice much of a change once you started them? Are things settling down a bit at work, so that hopefully that stressor will be smaller?

Elizabeth

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

Tim,

You are on a good path to get off of these drugs now. It is wise that you will have a counsellor to help you through emotional issues that may arise during and after. It is difficult to be alone in a new town, I understand that very well. Do you have support by phone?

You haven't been on for long and that should help things go smoothly.

Others will be along with individualized advice for your taper.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tim!

First thing I would say is, don't try to change anything yet. You're going to need some time to adjust and restabilize from the crossover from alprazolam to temazepam. They aren't perfectly equivalent.

Please don't be alarmed or worried if you get some increased anxiety and withdrawal symptoms in the next few weeks. That's to be expected after a benzodiazepine switchover.

Once you've stabilized fully from the transition you can begin a slow taper.

In my opinion, at this point rushing to get off the meds fast is likely to do you more harm than being exposed to them for as long as it takes to get off them safely, especially since you need to stay functional at work under a stressful situation. (I have to deal with an abusive bullying coworker too and I know it's really hard. I also live in a pretty isolated situation without much support.)

If you were able to take a couple of months off from work, though, it might be a different story, given how short a time you've been on the meds. Is that a possibility?

That's just my opinion. Others will be along to give you theirs.

Welcome, and good luck. We'll be rooting for you!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Welcome, LonelyMan. I moved your topic here as your Intro and Updates topic. You can ask questions about your personal situation and track your progress here.

Many people are put on antidepressants for very mild problems. They're intended for severe problems.

They have side effects and risks that you may not need to take on if you have mild problems. You may wish to figure out non-drug ways to cope. For example, your anxiety over work may be exacerbated by your sense of social isolation. Figure out something you enjoy, such as chess or social dancing or movie-going, and find a local group to do this with. (Do you have the Web site Meet-up where you live?) If you like animals, volunteer at an animal shelter or take care of pets while people are on vacation.

These small things can do wonders for your nervous system.

It is true that over time, these drugs tend to incur physical dependency and problems with withdrawal.

It's up to you to decide whether the drugs are appropriate for you. If you had a knowledgeable doctor, you might consult with him or her.

If you decide Pristiq is not for you, you may be able to go off it relatively shortly, see Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks guys.

I am only putting 2n2 togeather but I think I freaked out last night/yesterday due to the change over of alpra* to tamanzepan!!! But I still wanna get off these drugs or only use them as needed!!!

Thanks for all the advice given as such!

The town I live in is pretty small so there is not alot of clubs or groups, but thanks for the advice!

I think I need to get myself a hobby I can do by myself.

Also alto you are right that my work situation is increased, worse due to my social isolation. I understand that and that is one of the reasons I want to get off these drugs!!!

The dr who prescribed tamanzepan said that he wanted me to try and go to 1/2 a tamenzapan ASAP. Would this be good/possible seeing I've only been on it such a short time or should I go to 3/4 a pill??? Also does anyone know if you can get tamanzapan is lower doses than 10mg?

I am just not to sure of all of all of this.

Also I can't get into a counsellor till the 9/7/12 would you guys recommend waiting untill I start seeing a counsellor???

The dr as only given me 1 script/prescription of 20

Tamenzapan and said will figure it out after that! I haven only got 20 pills left and this won't last me the distance to 9/7.. So I am worried I am going to go through hell in around 20 days!!! Any advice/suggestion?

That's my new rant for today! Some further advice would be greatly appricated!!!

Cheers

Hi Tim & Welcome

You are in the right place. You will recieve lots of support here. Pristiq is a strong drug. How do you feel on it? The benzos are addictive and the way off of them is a slow and careful taper.

There is another support group Benzobuddies (I think) that can provide info. There are people here doing a benzo taper as well.

I have never taken Pristiq. My understanding is that even if you have only been on a drug a short time, the process for getting off of it is a slow taper. There are posts on this site on tapering Pristiq when and if you decide to do that.

Switching meds like you just did can cause side effects. I thought Pristiq was supposed to aid in sleep....

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Switching meds has caused a bit of havoc. Or feels like it has with my central nervous system and a constant feeling of fatigue. (cog fog maybe) but am still getting to sleep but not always staying asleep...

Its reminding me to constantly be positive and not give a f*ck about what the person who is bullying me says or does to me... Which is a big change for me as I always sweet the small stuff!!!!

Not looking forward to the tapering but looking forward to being confident and self assuring!!!

After reading lots and lots and freakig myself out I am now confident I can do it. And will probably cross over from

Pristiq to valium or prozac or similar drugs that others have tapered off. Not to sure about tamanzepan though!!!!

Thanks heaps for your advice but also please keep it coming as I don't il be able to make it without the support of peopling kind through the same thing.

How do I get a copy of the Ashton model/article people are talking about???

Switching meds has caused a bit of havoc. Or feels like it has with my central nervous system and a constant feeling of fatigue. (cog fog maybe) but am still getting to sleep but not always staying asleep...

Its reminding me to constantly be positive and not give a f*ck about what the person who is bullying me says or does to me... Which is a big change for me as I always sweet the small stuff!!!!

Not looking forward to the tapering but looking forward to being confident and self assuring!!!

After reading lots and lots and freakig myself out I am now confident I can do it. And will probably cross over from

Pristiq to valium or prozac or similar drugs that others have tapered off. Not to sure about tamanzepan though!!!!

Thanks heaps for your advice but also please keep it coming as I don't il be able to make it without the support of peopling kind through the same thing.

How do I get a copy of the Ashton model/article people are talking about???

Dear Tim,

I am a benzo user that tapered off after 11+ years (a too rapid taper upon the heels of abrupt discontinuation of many other drugs and certainly too soon after tapering off of a Pristiq to Lexapro "bridge".

You asked for a copy of the "Ashton Manual" by Professor C Heather Ashton, considered to be among the world's leading benzo experts. It can be found obtained for free here: Ashton Manual

Be sure to read her April 2011 Supplement which is hyper-linked at the top of the "Manual" (be sure to read all of her updates to the "Manual".

Ashton's manual was first printed in 2000, last update April 2011. Many consider Ashton's rate of tapering to be much too rapid. Others feel that Ashton paints a "rosy" picture of what it is like to get off of benzos - in my case, I agree. But it is a good starting point. Ashton recommends tapering off the benzo first and then the anti-depressant (benzo withdrawal is well-known to cause severe depression). This forum may disagree. I have no opinion as to which should be tapered off of first.

A more realistic picture of what it "might" be like to get off of benzos (for some people) is Bliss John's book on benzo withdrawal (formerly titled "Benzo Wise") now titled, "Recovery and Renewal".

Please read this as well.

Be sure to read about benzo "equivalencies". Your transfer from alpralozam (Xanax) to temazepam (Restoril) may not be "equivalent" and this could send you into the pits of acute benzo withdrawal.

Many doctors, particularly in the US do not recognize Ashton nor do they acknowledge "benzodiazepine withdrawal symptom" that can last for weeks, months, or years. It can be considered to be the most difficult of the addicting drugs to get off of. Not all people have difficulty in tapering off of benzodiazepines - some people who have taken benzos for years can taper off without any problems, while others who have taken it for "short" periods of time (benzos are not recommended to be taken for longer than 2-4 weeks) have difficult tapers and withdrawals. No one knows why some people have no difficulty, while others have terrible trouble.

If you want to start getting off the benzo first, please consider joining a benzodiazepine support forum. This forum focuses on anti-depressants. I believe there is one remaining benzodiazepine support forum, "BenzoBuddies". But read the "Manual" and all it's supplements first.

Please do not rush to get off your meds. Be "symptom-led" and not "calendar-led". Take it slow, one drug at a time.

Before you start any taper, please have an adequate support system by whatever means you can find (support groups of any kind that you have an interest in, clubs, try googling "Meet Up"). It seems you got on the meds for a reason - perhaps loneliness and isolation. These feelings of loneliness and isolation should be addressed and repaired prior to getting off the drugs. No man is an island and we all need to feel connected to people.

One of the doctors who has contributed to this site told me that I needed to "socially reintegrate" prior to tapering off of meds. I wish I would have listened to his advice. He was dead right.

I am now doing things kind of back asswards and am working very hard to get socially connected by taking baby steps. This is helping me tremendously.

Keep on asking questions and understand that your doctor may not know very much about all of this (as evidenced by his decision to switch you from alpralozam to temazepam). :) Many Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

P.S. to Tim,

"Crossing over" from Pristiq to Valium (a benzodiazepine) is not going to keep you out of anti-depressant withdrawal. However, doing a slow cross-over from temazepam to Valium may be an excellent way of getting yourself lined up to begin tapering off the benzo. This would be in line with the Ashton Manual.

Read the Manual and you will have a much greater understanding/respect for the power of these drugs. :) Hugs, AnneJ

My Intro
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

Yes, we disagree with Ashton. We don't think the antidepressant will help benzo withdrawal symptoms.

See discussion here Taking multiple psych drugs? Taper the antidepressant first!

Ashton was assuming all "depressions" are the same and treating the symptom -- exactly the same mistake more clueless psychiatrists make, which goes to show how far myths about antidepressants penetrate medicine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks so much to you all for your help so far!!!

I have checked equivalency between tamenzapan and alprazolam and the does I was on is the same as I am on now!!!

But I am certainly feeling the withdrawal symptoms from the sudden stop of alprazolam. Such as a struggle to sleep last night!

Why does it show show my dr is unkowledgable because of a swap to alprazolam to tamenzapan??? I can agree the sudden stop was probably not smart but yeah...

I am very lucky, as my ministers wife is a clinical psychologists! And has done her phd/main study on miss diagnosed drugs and stuff by drs!!! (I think)

So hopefully I can meet up with her and talk to her about some stuff as well.

I just dont know what to do though, your all right I do need to address my loneliness isolation feelings, but I don't know how I am going to do that as. Well I am very socially shy. And have always struggled socially. I have a few older friends near by. But yeah I am still socially shy with them. I have friends about 1.5hrs drive away, which I try to see semi-regularly but is hard.

Also you should all know I am not in America I am in Australia.

My town is only 9000 people with a 80% people over 40 and only 1-3% my age.

And being so socially aqward it makes hard. To meet those 200ish people my age!!!

Plus I can't break into the social groups of people my age because it's such a small town the social groups are often closed. So I am mostly hanging out with a couple that is early 30. (I am 24) I know them from church!!!

So yes I am all confused and overwhelmed by everything. But would appricate some advice on a tapering plan.

Still freaking out, and worried!

God bless

Tim

Yes, we disagree with Ashton. We don't think the antidepressant will help benzo withdrawal symptoms.

See discussion here Taking multiple psych drugs? Taper the antidepressant first!

Ashton was assuming all "depressions" are the same and treating the symptom -- exactly the same mistake more clueless psychiatrists make, which goes to show how far myths about antidepressants penetrate medicine.

Then which l would you suggest tapering first?

I am thinking the benzo might be better to taper? But that doesn't mean a lot. There are alot of conflicting ideas on the web. It's hard to figure it all out!

I am not sure that their is any dr in the town or near by that would have any experience with tapering any of these drugs!!

I just hope I can work something out. I am predicting another week of hell as my body tries to adjust to not having it's daily dose of .25mg of alprazolam. And now getting 10mg of tamenzapan!!!

Its just hard because I drive for a living!

Oh well. Life does on!

(as you can all see by now I am a ranter!!!)

Then which l would you suggest tapering first?

I am thinking the benzo might be better to taper? But that doesn't mean a lot. There are alot of conflicting ideas on the web. It's hard to figure it all out!

I am not sure that their is any dr in the town or near by that would have any experience with tapering any of these drugs!!

I just hope I can work something out. I am predicting another week of hell as my body tries to adjust to not having it's daily dose of .25mg of alprazolam. And now getting 10mg of tamenzapan!!!

Its just hard because I drive for a living!

Oh well. Life does on!

(as you can all see by now I am a ranter!!!)

BEFORE you taper anything you need to stabilize your benzo situation. I would start with BenzoBuddies.org and get their input. The switch from alpralozam to temazepam is obviously not going very well.

After you are are benzo stable, tapering off the Pristiq would be the recommended starting place. After you get off the Pristiq and are sure you are completely stable (ask Alto how long she recommends waiting until tapering off your benzo (temazepam). Pristiq is a time-release tablet and some people (like myself) have become deathly ill by cutting the tablets - I have read on this site where other people have cut the tablets and have not had an adverse reaction. Some people have had the doctor "bridge" them over to Prozac and then taper off the Prozac (it comes in a liquid form). My doctor used Lexapro and bridged the Pristiq with Lexapro and then I tapered off the Lexapro. What method works is anyone's best guess.

My Intro

\

But I am certainly feeling the withdrawal symptoms from the sudden stop of alprazolam. Such as a struggle to sleep last night!

Why does it show show my dr is unkowledgable because of a swap to alprazolam to tamenzapan??? I can agree the sudden stop was probably not smart but yeah...

Tim

If this is the same doctor that prescribed the alprazolam (Xanax) for insomnia and then switched you to another benzodiazepine (temazepam/Restoril) then this tells

me that this is a doctor who is not knowledgeable/aware about the dangers of benzodiazepines (diazepam/Valium, clonazepam/Rivotril/Klonopin, Alprazolam/Xanax, lorazepam/Ativan to name a few). Those dangers being addiction, changes in personality, depression, a possible wicked benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome to name a few. The same holds true for the prescription you were given for Pristiq.

Instead of causing potential dysfunction, pain, and long term adverse effects of these two medications, your doctor should be very aware of the Australian governments efforts to curb long term prescribing of benzodiazepines due to their very addicting profile.

You are very fortunate that you are in Australia. Please contact the Australian tranquilizer support organization at Reconnexion for help with your benzo dependency. They offer outstanding services for those who are dependent on benzodiazepines. Those of us in the US do not have any official, government sponsored agencies to help us get off of benzos. Reconnexion has a wonderful updated (2010) publication that can be downloaded from their site for free entitled, "Beyond Benzos". I think you will be very pleased with the help and support that you get from this organization.

Think positively! You have not been on both meds for years, your age is a plus, and you are highly motivated. You will do just fine as long as you take things very slow, get your support system in place and please pass on the information you find to your wife. She needs to know exactly what these drugs do, can do, and be a part of your support system. :) Many Hugs, Annej

My Intro

please pass on the information you find to your wife. She needs to know exactly what these drugs do, can do, and be a part of your support system. :) Many Hugs, Annej

Ha ha ha I am single, hence the isolation/social issues!!!!

But thanks I am sure that will help (the Aussie web site) I am thinking I might try emailing my old dr from growing up he was very good dr and is very knowledgable! I might get him to help me through this drug stuff instead of the local drs here who I dont trust. My old dr is 4hrs away so it's kinda hard to get into see him emailing might work!

please pass on the information you find to your wife. She needs to know exactly what these drugs do, can do, and be a part of your support system. :) Many Hugs, Annej

Ha ha ha I am single, hence the isolation/social issues!!!!

But thanks I am sure that will help (the Aussie web site) I am thinking I might try emailing my old dr from growing up he was very good dr and is very knowledgable! I might get him to help me through this drug stuff instead of the local drs here who I dont trust. My old dr is 4hrs away so it's kinda hard to get into see him emailing might work!

Hi lonelyman,

LOL! I am so sorry, I guess I mixed my "metaphors". By all means, please visit the Reconnexion site and download their manual Beyond Meds 2010. It is very comprehensive. You may want to read this prior to seeing your old doc just to make sure that he's up-to-date. Since your healthcare system supports this model re benzos, please know how very fortunate you are!

Remember, you may have absolutely little to no problems in getting off Pristiq first followed by the benzos. Keep it real slow and be patient. Keep posting your progress. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

• Administrator

Annej has given you excellent advice, LM. (Thank you, Annej.)

You need to stabilize your benzo situation first before thinking about tapering. When you are stabilized, let's talk about tapering Pristiq.

Lonelyman,

Here is the pdf file for the 2010 Beyond Benzodiazpine manual published by Reconnexion (Australia's Tranquilizer and Sleeping Pill Advisory Counsel):

Beyond Benzodiazepines - 2010

Please read and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

Annej has given you excellent advice, LM. (Thank you, Annej.)

You need to stabilize your benzo situation first before thinking about tapering. When you are stabilized, let's talk about tapering Pristiq.

:):)

My Intro

Hey guys!

Going pretty well ATM, got a pretty rough week coming up! I hope I can make it through. Still experiencing some withdrawal symptoms of alprazolam.

Found out that the does of Tamanzapan I am on is actually double the dose of alprazolam I was on. Which makes me not very happy at all!!!!

I am starting to seriously think about tappering.

Thinking pristiq might be best to taper first. Is this a good idea?

I've read the tapering pristiq thread but no real advice given there. Does anyone have any ideas!!!

That doc was very helpful, but also makes me rather nervous!

• Administrator

See Taking multiple psych drugs? Taper the antidepressant first!

BUT -- you've doubled your benzo? How long have you been taking the higher dosage? Maybe you should lower it before your system becomes acclimated to it.

A side effect of benzos can be depression.

How was the doc helpful? How did he make you nervous?

BUT -- you've doubled your benzo? How long have you been taking the higher dosage? Maybe you should lower it before your system becomes acclimated to it.

As mentioned before, it is suggested that you get your benzo situation straightened out before doing anything with Pristiq. How much temazepam are you taking? Did you read the link to "Beyond Benzos"? :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

I've been on the double dosage for 12 days!

All of this is making me nervous and annoyed because I am kicking myself for jumping onto these drugs... But now I need to pay the consequences of it! But I wanna get off them!!!

When I said the doc, I meant the beyond benzo 'doc'ument!

When I said the doc, I meant the beyond benzo 'doc'ument!

I want to offer some reassurance to you with respect to your benzo/anti-depressant situation. Many people can taper off of these drugs with little or no discomfort. As I mentioned before, you have not been on these two drugs for a long time and your age is to your benefit. What are your symptoms from changing from Xanax to temazepam? Once you get the benzo situation stabilized, you will be in a good position to begin tapering off the Pristiq. It's natural and normal to be nervous when we find out about these drugs. You will be OK, especially if you don't allow yourself to make hasty decisions. Keep posting. We are here to support you. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

Hi LM....

Have not taken the Pristiq or Benzo's so I can't share on that. Alot of the people here have been in your situation. They know more than most physicians.

Very helpful and knowledgeable members.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I want to offer some reassurance to you with respect to your benzo/anti-depressant situation. Many people can taper off of these drugs with little or no discomfort. As I mentioned before, you have not been on these two drugs for a long time and your age is to your benefit. What are your symptoms from changing from Xanax to temazepam? Once you get the benzo situation stabilized, you will be in a good position to begin tapering off the Pristiq. It's natural and normal to be nervous when we find out about these drugs. You will be OK, especially if you don't allow yourself to make hasty decisions. Keep posting. We are here to support you. :) Hugs, Annej

The symptoms I am feeling from the change have been. Increased anxiousness, very quick and sudden mood changes! A few nights of littl to no sleep. Some feelings of no self worth (very little though).

And a few other things that everyone seems to go through.

Though recently I have found bizarre appitie. Some days I can eat like a horse others I have to force myself to eat. (never really feeling sick though!)

Spoke to my pharmacist! And they have given me information if there supplying/compounding pharmacist! Which might be helpful in tapering off pristiq and tamanzapan!!!!

The symptoms I am feeling from the change have been. Increased anxiousness, very quick and sudden mood changes! A few nights of littl to no sleep. Some feelings of no self worth (very little though).

Though recently I have found bizarre appitie. Some days I can eat like a horse others I have to force myself to eat. (never really feeling sick though!)

Spoke to my pharmacist! And they have given me information if there supplying/compounding pharmacist! Which might be helpful in tapering off pristiq and tamanzapan!!!!

Can you go into detail about the information you received from your pharmacist? :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

LonelyMan,

The sudden mood changes and (for me) flashes of temper were extreme shortly after my taper (too rapid). I am a reserved person and this scared me. I didnt realize it was due to withdrawal at the time. The surges of anger would have certainly earned me a bipolar diagnosis had I told my doc. All emotions are exaggerated with NEURO-EMOTION.

The appetite changes are also familiar. I remember the first meal I had post-AD that I REALLY TASTED and enjoyed. I ate like a horse for a few weeks, then appetite dropped off again and I had to force myself to eat. That has come and gone a few times in year off of Pristiq.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I encountered similar changes in the levels of my appetite during my taper and withdrawal from Klonopin. Sometimes I had a voracious appetite and other times I had absolutely no interest in food.

You may want to investigate and research crossing over from temazepam to a longer-acting benzo and then tapering off of it. From what you have described, it does not sound like the abrupt switch from Xanax (apralozam) to temazepam (Restoril) is going well. Some people can taper directly off of the short-acting benzos such as temazepam and apralozam with success, while others experience difficulty because the short-acting benzos can cause "interdose" withdrawal.

I think this bears repeating: Stabilize your benzo situation first!

Have you called Reconnexion (Tranquilizer and Sleeping Pill Advisory for Australia)? As a citizen of Australia, you are entitled to this wonderful program that helps people to reduce or taper off of benzos safely. I called Reconnexion from the US and even though I am not a citizen of your country, they were extremely helpful to me.

My Intro

Hey all,

Thanks for the information and further advice!

Especially the advice on the eating and such!!!

The Pharmacist has only given me the contact number for a compounding pharmacist!!!

But it should be helpful as there are very little compounding pharmacist left in Australia!

Cheers

Tim

LonelyMan,

The sudden mood changes and (for me) flashes of temper were extreme shortly after my taper (too rapid). I am a reserved person and this scared me. I didnt realize it was due to withdrawal at the time. The surges of anger would have certainly earned me a bipolar diagnosis had I told my doc. All emotions are exaggerated with NEURO-EMOTION.

The appetite changes are also familiar. I remember the first meal I had post-AD that I REALLY TASTED and enjoyed. I ate like a horse for a few weeks, then appetite dropped off again and I had to force myself to eat. That has come and gone a few times in year off of Pristiq.

Hey there how did you taper off pristiq and how did it go! I would appricate a bit of information on your experience of tapering off pristiq!

Well I am rather annoyed right now!

The dr who put me on aplrazolam has put me back on it after the other dr took me off it and put me on tamanzapan!!!

He said he wants me on aplrazolam for a reason, and isn't happy that I was moved to tamanzapan as I wasn't on aplrazolam for sleep, but to calm me down.

So he has asked me to take half a tamanzapan and .25mg of aplrazolam. However I have a pretty stressful week coming up so I can take a full tamanzapan if really needed!

But this is all just really annoying to me to be honest! I just wish I never went on these drugs!!!!!

I am on then now and going to have to deal with that but it still sucks big time!

I hate that I am going through all of this away from my family and friends!

Not sure what I am going to do when it comes to tapering my pristiq. I am currently contacting a compounding pharamcist, to see they can successfully compound a mixture for me into smaller doses.

I am thinking of doing 2-3mg reductions every few weeks with a plan of 6 months taper depending how well I can do it and handle the reductions/withdrawals.

My dr said he hasn't ever had someone go off pristiq yet and said we might think about doing a alternate, but I am not doing that after all the advice given on here!!!

• Administrator

You might wish to discuss the benzos in more detail in this forum.

All of this drug switching isn't good for you. And all of this is because of grief over your dog? That is what's called a situational condition, and should not be medicated at all.

Do you have a choice of doctors? These don't sound very good. They are going to get you physically dependent on these medications, and they won't know how to help you go off.

There are some mail-order compounding pharmacies.

But you can cut Pristiq tablets up yourself to taper. You might consider starting this process soon, reducing by a quarter of a tablet. You've only been on Pristiq since April, you might not have much of a problem going off.

You can get compounded Pristiq later when you get to smaller dosages.

Edited by Altostrata
crossed out bad info