SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tips for tapering pregabalin (Lyrica)

Altostrata

• Administrator

Lyrica is a GABA-ergic drug related to Neurontin (gabapentin) but, like Neurontin, with an action different from the benzodiazepines.

It is often prescribed for fibromyalgia and other pain syndromes. In Europe, it has been approved to treat anxiety.

One of its side effects is sleepiness or, during the day, grogginess.

Half-life is about 6 hours.

Like other drugs that act on the nervous system, long-term Lyrica may incur a withdrawal syndrome and must be tapered to protect the nervous system.

According to FDA information at http://www.drugs.com/ppa/pregabalin.html , Lyrica comes in these dosages:
- Capsules 25 mg
- Capsules 50 mg
- Capsules 75 mg
- Capsules 100 mg
- Capsules 150 mg
- Capsules 200 mg
- Capsules 225 mg
- Capsules 300 mg
- Oral solution 20 mg/mL

Reduce by 10% per month to start
The 10% rule holds for Lyrica, just like other psychiatric drugs: Reduce by 10% per month, calculated on the last dosage. (The amount of the reduction gets progressively smaller.)

See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tapering by using smaller capsule dosages
It was thoughtful of Pfizer to provide a range of dosages for tapering.

You can start tapering at approximately 10% by having part of your prescription filled in 25mg capsules. (You probably will need your doctor to write a prescription for this.)

Example: If you are taking 300mg Lyrica, you can get your prescription filled at one 200mg capsule a day plus 4 25mg capsules.

To taper your dosage, you take 275mg (one 200mg capsule plus 3 25mg), decreasing by 25mg.

You can do this for the first, second, and third month of your taper (we advise holding for a month after making a 10% decrease on the existing dose).

Combine capsule dosages and liquid Lyrica
Following the example above, the third month, you will be taking 225mg. To keep to the 10% taper, your fourth monthly drop would be 22.5mg, for a dose of 202.5. For this you may wish to use capsules and liquid in combination: one 200mg capsule and 2.5mg liquid.

For the next decrease, use 150mg capsules plus the liquid for a dose of 182.25mg, and so forth.

Make your own Lyrica solution
You can mix Lyrica in lukewarm water to make your own suspension.

1) Use any small clean transparent jar with a water-tight top or an empty medicine container to make the solution.

2) Carefully open the Lyrica capsule and pour the contents into the bottom of the container.

To open a capsule, grasp each end in your fingers and gently twist. The capsule should come apart in the middle. Do this over the open container, to catch the powder.

2) Use an oral syringe to measure lukewarm water and convey it to the container. A 10mL (10cc) oral syringe is handy for this purpose.

If you wish to make 30mL of a solution, fill the 10mL syringe 3 times with water and inject it into your container.

3) To mix, put the cap on the container, tightly, and shake it gently. You will be able to see the particles swirling around in the water.

4) Use an oral syringe to take the dosage you wish.

5) Your homemade Lyrica solution will keep for 5 days, refrigerated. Keep it refrigerated, like any food, to keep it from getting mold in it.

The only tricky thing about making a Lyrica solution is creating and remembering the concentration.

For example, let's say you are tapering from 100mg Lyrica to 90mg. For 5 days, you will want roughly 450mg. You can empty 5 100mg capsules to make your solution, but you want to use a container smaller than 500mL.

You can mix 500mg Lyrica in 250mL water, making a 2:1 solution, each 1mL containing 2mg Lyrica.

If you do this, put a note on your container giving the recipe ("500mg Lyrica in 250mL water") and dosage instructions to yourself: "Take 45mL for 90mg Lyrica."

Edited by Altostrata
updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Alto.. question? How does the appetite effect of Lyrica (almost irresistible munchies) compare with that of drugs like Zyprexa and ADs, the overall comparison. I gained 50 lbs with the help of Lyrica, now have lost 55 lbs despite still taking a large dose, but I need be ever mindful of starting to binge on carbs. I'm going to be battling this for the next year as I'm getting down to a less symptomatic dosage, yick.

Also, for the forgetfulness that comes about, are there recommendations for memory games around?

Thanks as ever, ~S

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

I don't know, sorry, Schuyler.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Schuyler, when I was taking Neurontin I never found any memory game kind of things that helped with the memory, practicing didn't help. It was weird that way. Teflon brain.

I used lots of tricks with notes and reminders. Also found that although I couldn't really learn stuff by being shown or told once or twice, if I did it over and over I did absorb it, and especially getting stuff into motor memory seemed to help. Mostly lots and lots of notes.

Can't say about weight gain, didn't have that so much myself. That is, I have no clue what my weight would be without all the various meds I'm on.

Good news is, the memory improved as the dose went down and seems to be improving still now that I'm all the way off.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto, kudos on this excellent and thorough article.

Although the dosages available are different with gabapentin, you can use the same method of making your own liquid to titrate.

I don't know about Lyrica, but with gabapentin, the powder is kind of tricky to "wet"--that is, it sort of resists dissolving at first. (Like cocoa...? kind of resists wetting at first.) One thing you can do with that is use a couple of drops of ethanol (Everclear, or vodka will work) to "wet" it and then add the water. But it will wet with water eventually.

Also, if you're going to make more than about 40-50 mL of solution, I'd recommend using a graduated cylinder instead of using a syringe to measure the water. They're readily available on Amazon and elsewhere on the Internet (sites that sell stuff for science fair projects are good). If you use multiple pulls on a syringe (or pipette) you're going to introduce more variation than you realize into your measurements.

Anyway, thanks for this excellent piece.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Rhi.. my guess is they are relatively the same. When I get the munchies it's with a vengeance. I start to compulsively eat carbs.. so until I get down on the dose, I'll probably have to watch them like the proverbial hawk.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

All things being equal (and I know they never are) would it be easier for the "average person" to taper from pregabalin or duloxetine?  I need to take one of those two for nerve pain.  I have had a tough benzo taper and don't want to go anything like that again!

Thanks for any views.

Hi Riffick... I had a slowww, but smooth taper off a benzo, now I'm tapering Lyrica, which I take for nerve pain. I'm not going to taper all the way down... so far I've reduced from 300 mgs to 45 and am headed for a landing at 25 mgs Lyrica.  It has been easier for me to taper Lyrica than the benzo, I think.  I put it this way because I developed tinnitus from Lyrica which seems permanent.  At least somewhat... if I don't push the taper, or take other meds that cause it to spike, the tinnitus is relatively mild. 

But I get ahead of myself... I was 'jerking' the Lyrica dose around... dropping 25%... then a couple of weeks later another 25%.  This triggered off the tinnitus... which then bled thru into the very bottom of the benzo taper, and I then had tinnitus from that as well. So I've taken the Lyrica taper pretty easy..  But the other Lyrica WD Sx have not been so prominent..  and before I got stuck on the Lyrica, I was able to wean on and off for a number of years (the 25% a every couple of weeks mentioned above, got into trouble because I did not realize this needed a real taper).  So the long and short... Lyrica has been easier for me to taper, but the tinnitus has slowed me down.

One thing with Lyrica.. a water suspension deteriorates after 48 hours, so you need to make up fresh every 2 days

Moderator note: see Skyler's response to Riffick and primrose below

I want to add however, I did not find the benzo taper difficult as long as I took frequent holds and did not taper faster than 10 of the previous dose... but there was more wiggle room with Lyrica.. I'm close to 15% at present and am not worried about lag time catching up.  I held for 10 months at the bottom of my benzo taper with a good result.  I'm the hold queen, and firmly believe in erring on the side of holding too long. I think that tapering when we are symptomatic contributes to needless suffering.  I realize some people have paradoxical reactions from benzos, and need to taper in the face of WD symptoms, but they are far fewer than those who benefit from prolonged holds times... several months and more.

Edited by scallywag
incorrect information

All things being equal (and I know they never are) would it be easier for the "average person" to taper from pregabalin or duloxetine?  I need to take one of those two for nerve pain.  I have had a tough benzo taper and don't want to go anything like that again!

Thanks for any views.

Riffick, I thought about this and how to reply all morning, not just because I want to warn everyone I can off taking such a horrible drug but because I tried to research its effectiveness in treating 'nerve pain'. I believe that its use is a move by the pharma companies to get their drugs used to treat 'off label' conditions. How it passed FDA approval is beyond me.

So instead of that (and because I have no idea how one does manage to treat nerve pain without drugs) I'll just link to what people have said about using duloxetine (cymbalta).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to add.... given cw's research.  I have fibromyalgia, and Lyrica is the only thing I've found to help in 30 years of looking.  It does not take away the pain completely, but it does make me less vulnerable to flares, which for me have lasted for 2 years or so (I'm a marathoner in this regard. :( ).   So Lyrica makes me less vulnerable to the horrific flares that put me on methadone, and other opioids.   Subjectively speaking, what I've found, when the pain is triggered, it does not get as reactive.. does not kindle with as much intensity, and once kindled, it's easier to put the 'fire out'.

Alto found that medications marketed for pain often do not have much effect, if any.. and my experience with ADs prescribed for this bears this out..  She also told me meds are often prescribed at much higher doses than necessary... 300 mgs in my case, when doses of 25 to 50 mgs may do just as well.. less many of the side effects.  This info is the reason I'm tapering down, and so far, so good.

My experience with Lyrica suggests it may not be as difficult to taper off as benzos.   I was able to stop taking it 2 or 3 times by weaning off in a few weeks. (I stopped after the flares ended, as opposed to circumvent flares, which I'm doing now (heh, before I got stuck on high dose)... so you might be able to give it a try and get off without a taper should you find there is no to minimal effect.  I'm not doing that this time because it did catch up with me...  but as you know all too well... we all respond differently.  I also found over time that I'm not as likely to go into the catastrophic flares I used to have.. it seems to down regulate the pain. 

So the clinical response I had... it helped down regulate the pain, making everyday pain more manageable.  And when I went into flares.. which are still possible, it made them easier to extinguish.  But keep to a low dose are there are too many side effects.

All the best....

• Administrator

Thank you for that information, Skyler. I'm glad a lower dose is working for you.

• 2 months later...

It was thoughtful of Pfizer to provide a range of dosages for tapering.

First time I've truly LOLed in days.

April / 2016: Cipralex 10 mg, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Lyrica 600 mg, Diazepam 20 mg, Bystolic 5 mg

2018: Lots of polypharmacy which is undocumented here. Started and stopped several drugs and changed doses of existing ones

August / 2018: Back on track! Cipralex 15 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg, Diazepam 15 mg

September 2018: Cipralex 15 mg -> 12.5 mg

October 2018: Cipralex 12.5 mg -> 10 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg -> 3.75 mg -> Stopped, Diazepam 15 mg

November 2019: Cipralex 5 mg, Diazepam 10 mg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

This has been really useful to me and explained a few things the doctor couldn't. I am curious what the usual last dose of the tapering is with Lyrica please?

Also can anyone confirm if the worst symptoms for me are due to the drug itself or lack of?

- really bad pins and needles, sweaty palms, numbness - especially left hand and fingers but feeling it in both arms at the moment and hair loss - thinning and receding fast. I can take the depression and crying but the physical side effects are really worrying me, they are worse than what lyrica was supposed to help me with and now I feel I am stuck taking it. It is important I work this out to gauge how much to cut by!

Are they permanent or will the nerves settle and hair grow back?

To help I have stopped drinking, I haven't smoked in over a year, gave up coffee and just drink tea now, take organic supplements filled with dried cold pressed super foods, I am vegetarian and eat salad every lunch time, I exercise every night and walk during day. What else can I do?

Thanks for any help in advance.

On pregabalin since summer 2013. Started on 50mg and progressed to 300mg in increments.

Dropped quickly in increments, on around 40mg beginning of April 2016.

I think some of the symptoms, including paresthesia and depression could be alleviated with the use of natural GABA enhancing foods and supplements. This gives me hope, however I worry about the hair loss, I feel this has worsened as I reduced the dose but cannot be sure.

On pregabalin since summer 2013. Started on 50mg and progressed to 300mg in increments.

Dropped quickly in increments, on around 40mg beginning of April 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA mac,

Symptoms can be side effects of the drugs you are taking or they could be withdrawal symptoms if you are tapering or have stopped. If you would start a topic for yourself here:  Introductions and updates  giving a few more details about your situation, we will be able to answer your questions and also help you with a tapering plan.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I have a question. How many times a day does a person typically dose gabapentin? And can a person have interdose withdrawal from not dosing it often enough? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I did lyria twice a day as thats what the hosptial said.

It also helped my pain some, but I felt drunk all of the time. For the first few days at 150 it completely cured my anxiety, I was excited. But it took less than a week to turn on me. So they put it up to 300... Then the rest started. Hair falling out, blurry eyes, itchy cracked skin. I was so unwell they dropped the dose before discharge. The next time I saw the pain specialist, he recommended I return to hospital because my anxiety was visibly so severe.

Chiropractic treatment gave me more relief than any pain drug ever has.

I didnt have much of a problem coming off lyrica. I did it as pdoc suggested - half the dose a week or two and then drop it. I didnt have too many new physical issues but the ones started with lyrica are ongoing.

Most annoying being itchy dry cracked hands, feet and scalp. It comes and goes.

Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.

May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg

Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.

Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016

Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

I did not know the dry skin could be a side effect. Mine has gone just terribly thick and dry.

I have been on anti depressants since I was 19. I started with Elavil I think. Been through a lot of them but never noticed a withdrawal until I tried to get off Effexor. I cannot remember a lot of things. In 2012 I think I was put on cymbalta and had the textbook horrible withdrawal from it when it stopped working in 2013. It was a year long ordeal,

2014 cymbalta wothdrawal <br />Currently on Wellbutrin 300 xl<br />Lyrica Was 50 x2<br />Doctors office called it in as 150.mg. x2<br />trying to get bck to 50 x2<br />And/or/maybe off<br /><br />

My goal now is to lower my dosage back to 100 mg a day, or try to get rid of it altogether. So far not its happening.

1/29/16 return to 300 my Lyrica. 12/1/16 tense and twitchy but still Functioning. Had 15 min period of unbalance.

Target date for sliding into B.M. Is Monday February 29, 2016. Didn't make that one

March 18,2016. Att to delete 5% from my 300 mg. difficulty measuring a 5% drop. Poss 6% or so.going to stay here for a while. Symptoms increasing last few days. Pain,fatigue,headache,twitching,weight gain,hair loss.

March 26, 2016. 10% decrease approx. high BP, vertigo,twitching,feel high.

March 26, 2016 350 mg Day 13 I have worked through most symptoms until now. Headache has overtaken me and I am too weak to get up today. Upped dosage to 280 and. Added 20 at night. Previous symptoms never abated. Fatigue not bearable 12/1/16 dosage now. At 290mgs. All my records do not make sense. December 2016 gave up returned to 300

Weaned down to 290 mgs symptoms returned. February. 20 again returned to 300 mgs.

Some energy returned and I'm functioning but zombie like with cognitive problems.

Decided to quit trying to quit. Be surprised if I have any cns left with what I have done to it.

July 2017 started splitting dosage of two, 200 mgs lyrica.  Taking one pill then waiting one hour for the other.  Aiming for ten hours between dosage then decrease from there.  Presently at eight hours October 2017 between doses with tolerable side effects.  

I did not know the dry skin could be a side effect. Mine has gone just terribly thick and dry.

Nor did my pain specialist!

Its mostly my hands, feet and scalp. But I do get dry patches all over. I had never had dry skin before, oily was my problem :P I dont react well to some creams (sensitive soul i seem to be!) but Alto recommened oils which I may try tomorrow.

For my face (even before lyrica) I use rosehip oil. Only about 3 drops, its easy to put too much on, but for me it has been has kept my face comfortable. I havent used it other areas due to the price. There is only one brand that I works best - kosmea.

Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.

May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg

Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.

Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016

Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

• Administrator

I have a question. How many times a day does a person typically dose gabapentin? And can a person have interdose withdrawal from not dosing it often enough? Thanks.

Please read http://www.drugs.com/dosage/lyrica.html

Buffy, I like rosehip oil myself. Swanson Vitamins and iHerb have very good prices online.

Buffy, I'm so sorry about your reaction to the Lyrica. I've not had that problem with Neurontin. But I'm at an age that dry skin is typical anyway. I'll have to check out rosehip oil. :)

Thanks, Alostra. Seems 3 times/day should be often enough.

Buffy, I just ordered rose hip oil. Thanks for that information. My face is covered with dry skin and I just thought it was my Retin A finally working. The rest of me especially the front side of my thighs went from just dry to leathery. I douse myself with Vaseline constantly literally from head to toe. I too thought it was age related. Anxious to try the oil to see if anything improves.

I have been on anti depressants since I was 19. I started with Elavil I think. Been through a lot of them but never noticed a withdrawal until I tried to get off Effexor. I cannot remember a lot of things. In 2012 I think I was put on cymbalta and had the textbook horrible withdrawal from it when it stopped working in 2013. It was a year long ordeal,

2014 cymbalta wothdrawal <br />Currently on Wellbutrin 300 xl<br />Lyrica Was 50 x2<br />Doctors office called it in as 150.mg. x2<br />trying to get bck to 50 x2<br />And/or/maybe off<br /><br />

My goal now is to lower my dosage back to 100 mg a day, or try to get rid of it altogether. So far not its happening.

1/29/16 return to 300 my Lyrica. 12/1/16 tense and twitchy but still Functioning. Had 15 min period of unbalance.

Target date for sliding into B.M. Is Monday February 29, 2016. Didn't make that one

March 18,2016. Att to delete 5% from my 300 mg. difficulty measuring a 5% drop. Poss 6% or so.going to stay here for a while. Symptoms increasing last few days. Pain,fatigue,headache,twitching,weight gain,hair loss.

March 26, 2016 350 mg Day 13 I have worked through most symptoms until now. Headache has overtaken me and I am too weak to get up today. Upped dosage to 280 and. Added 20 at night. Previous symptoms never abated. Fatigue not bearable 12/1/16 dosage now. At 290mgs. All my records do not make sense. December 2016 gave up returned to 300

Weaned down to 290 mgs symptoms returned. February. 20 again returned to 300 mgs.

Some energy returned and I'm functioning but zombie like with cognitive problems.

Decided to quit trying to quit. Be surprised if I have any cns left with what I have done to it.

July 2017 started splitting dosage of two, 200 mgs lyrica.  Taking one pill then waiting one hour for the other.  Aiming for ten hours between dosage then decrease from there.  Presently at eight hours October 2017 between doses with tolerable side effects.  

Seems we have started a rose hip oil fan club due to our meds. Yes, we'll blame it on the meds, not aging! :D

Mngal1960

I like the way you think.

I'm going to look so young and hydrated when I'm off this.

Has anyone had interdose withdrawal from taking Lyrica 3 times a day (8 hourly)?

Difficult two year benzo taper. Subsequently took amitriptyline and Lyrica for pain and had to taper off them too. Both tapers were brutal possibly because of an underlying mitochondrial disorder which caused nerves to have insufficient energy to function.

• Moderator Emeritus

TID was optimal for me... I went to four times a day because of tinnitus.. but I'm not sure it helped...  I'd go for three times.

TID was optimal for me... I went to four times a day because of tinnitus.. but I'm not sure it helped...  I'd go for three times.

Hi Skyer.  I once read elsewhere that you mentioned a solution of Lyrica doesn't keep for more than about 48 hours.  Pfizer now make a liquid form of Lyrica which seems to keep for a very long time although it is not available in all countries.  The ingredients are:

Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218)

Propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216)

Sodium dihydrogen phosphate, anhydrous

Disodium phosphate, anhydrous (E339)

Sucralose (E955)

Artificial strawberry flavour

See https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/26524#EXCIPIENTS

Difficult two year benzo taper. Subsequently took amitriptyline and Lyrica for pain and had to taper off them too. Both tapers were brutal possibly because of an underlying mitochondrial disorder which caused nerves to have insufficient energy to function.

• Moderator Emeritus

Riffick... I was wrong on the length of time... it was Requip that would not keep more than 48 hours.  I thought it was the Lyrica that was giving me problems.. it was heavier hitter.  BUT it was the Requip.  I did not realize this until I went off Lyrica entirely...   and took Requip alone.. THEN the real villain raised it's head.  Go figure.. I thought it was Lyrica for something like 3 years.   I always mixed the two at the same time... go figure.

Be well...

• 2 weeks later...

hi skyler, im now on 240mg lyrica, good eh!

was on 600mg @ xmas, and started with 5mg cuts, and my symptoms faded as I tapered.

I reduced the cuts when signature headache came and now on 2mg cuts.

I'm back on valium though but tapering, just at the stage of finding my 'best cut"

what i am posting is cos you said your lyrica deterorated after 2 days even if refrigerated.

Well, I have got amber jars, and although I am using alll my water and lyrica liquid mix now, when i get to the lower doses i dont wanna chuck out loads of lyrica water after two days

what colour jars did you use to keep your lyrica-water mix in.

Congrats on getting off stuff.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Moderator Emeritus

I sure did Primrose... and would have sworn by it, but I was wrong. 

Edited by scallywag
topics merged

I sure did Primrose... and would have sworn by it, but I was wrong. 

Hey Skyler, I wonder if there's a way for the mods to go back and tweak that 48 hour post because I believe you're no longer able to edit it for yourself.

My own experience of Lyrica is that it is one of the most forgiving of meds when it comes to handling.  It dissolves readily in water, is mostly tasteless, it keeps well.  Compared to meds which need fancy solvents, it's much easier to handle.  Meds like diazepam or clonazepam can be a real hassle by comparison.

However I found I got bad interdose withdrawal symptoms even if I took Lyrica 3 times a day every 8 hours.  For me, these kicked in after 5 or 6 hours and disappeared 30 to 60 minutes after taking a dose.  I figured that yo-yo-ing up and down like that was further sensitising me and caused a heightening of symptoms, so I went to 6 doses a day (every 4 hours) which helped a lot although it was a nuisance getting up in the night to take a dose.

In the final days, I was taking 12.5mg split over six doses.  Yup, that's a tiny 2mg Lyrica per dose but I still felt withdrawals and taking the next 2mg dose still gave me relief.  I had to fully come off Lyrica to see real improvement.

My case is unusual and my experience may not apply to everyone because I have an underlying metabolic disease affecting my mitochondria which, even without any meds or withdrawals being present, gives me symptoms of a very acute med withdrawal.  These epilepsy-like states occur every day and will feel better or worse depending on how any med withdrawal is going but the primary cause is not the meds.  The meds just modulate the strength of the underlying symptoms.

Hi

I've tapered successfully since xmas from 600mg pregabalin to 230mg, emptying the capsule contents in luke warm water and then letting it dissolve as its water soluble.

I heard that pregabalin water mix deteriorates after two days, why is this?

I buy my own pills and I cannot afford to throw the liquid out after two days.

I dose five times a day and take 2mg off and its been successful, no withdrawal headache but very bad weepiness, feelinigs of doom etc.

I thought it was because maybe pregabain hated UV light so i bought some amber jars and used those, but the cardboard lining in the lids have all falllen out leaving the jars non airtight, rendering these jars useless.

Is it possible to keep the pregabalin liquid for longer than two days, cos when i get to the lower doses, im going to be wasting loads of pills bought by my precious money if i have to dispose of the liquid ater two days.

Skyler told me this, but she mustn't have got the pm i sent her last week.

thanks

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Moderator Emeritus

I heard that pregabalin water mix deteriorates after two days, why is this?

I buy my own pills and I cannot afford to throw the liquid out after two days.

Primrose.. I responded to you on this when you made the last post.  Your post was added to the Lyrica thread.  I was incorrect about the length of time Lyrica can be kept.  I was taking requip at the same time I took Lyrica.. and thought of Lyrica as the more problematic of the two... not the requip.  I always mixed the two up at the same time.. 

When I completed the Lyrica taper, I was still on requip, and the problem I'd attributed to Lyrica was still there... it was the requip, which goes to show how difficult it can be to find why we are symptomatic at times, though I'm rather embarrassed not to have thought about the requip possibility. 

I'm going to ask the mods to merge this message with the Lyrica thread, as they did the last time.. but not to merge until you have responded here.  The Lyrica thread is only a few messages under yours in this forum... http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2381-tips-for-tapering-off-lyrica-pregabalin/ Please make a note of it for future reference.  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I am tapering lyrica using water.

I only have access to 75mg caps as they are not presribed.

I cannot get less.

I was told by skyler that pregabalin dissolved in water only lasts 2 days and then deteriorates, even if refrigerated.

Can anyone tell me why this is?

Does lyrica hate uv light?

I cannot find adequate amber containers, i was using aromatherapy jars but once the cardboard inside the lid got all soggy, the container was useless.

My supply of these drugs is limited, so when I get below 75mg, I am going to have to make the water-with-lyrica-dissolved-in-it last more than two days. Also, the UK is talking about making them illegal so I wont be able to get any if they do.

I don't fancy going onto gabapentin, when further down as i have heard these are worse to come off and if lyrica is being made illegal, so will gabap

I would like to hear from others who are tapering or have tapered lyrica please.

thank you

Edited by KarenB
Moved post to correct thread

• Moderator Emeritus

I am tapering lyrica using water.

I only have access to 75mg caps as they are not presribed.

I cannot get less.

I was told by skyler that pregabalin dissolved in water only lasts 2 days and then deteriorates, even if refrigerated.

Can anyone tell me why this is?

Does lyrica hate uv light?

I cannot find adequate amber containers, i was using aromatherapy jars but once the cardboard inside the lid got all soggy, the container was useless.

My supply of these drugs is limited, so when I get below 75mg, I am going to have to make the water-with-lyrica-dissolved-in-it last more than two days. Also, the UK is talking about making them illegal so I wont be able to get any if they do.

I don't fancy going onto gabapentin, when further down as i have heard these are worse to come off and if lyrica is being made illegal, so will gabap

I would like to hear from others who are tapering or have tapered lyrica please.

thank you

Primrose... this is the third time I'm answering this question, and each time you have asked again, you started a different thread!  Do you read my answers?  Click to follow in the upper right hand corner, and you can be notified when you get a reply.

I was mistaken.. it was another medication that was deteriorating in 2 days that I was taking at the same time. Lyrica is more stable than I thought..you can keep it at least 3 days.

By the way.. do you have any idea why the UK is thinking of making Lyrica illegal? It really did help me with fibro pain. 

Thanks

• Administrator

I made a suspension of Lyrica with water and kept it in the refrigerator for 5 days with no problems.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy