Irene33: Hi I am new here! from the Netherlands

Irene33

Hi everybody,

I am Irene an have been on antidepressants for 12+ years since I was 21 years old for anxiety and sleeping issues.

Since 4 months I have been of the meds and supposedly in withdrawal.

symptoms:

-Always moist sour reaking armpits (without exercise)

-bad sleep (light sleep)

-my back and shoulders are covered with tiny pimples/spots

-Feel anxious a lot and tense (strange anxiety to fall asleep)

-waking up at night feeling anxious for no reason

-Have had hallucinations in the evening but they have stopped

-nightsweats every night

-dry mouth

-feeling on edge

-feeling very tired

-Everytime I want to drift of to sleep I feel a startle in my leg, arm of jaw that wakes me up again.

Does this sound familiar?

The only thing I do is to take vit.C supplements, take sleepjuice (which has an sedative in it) or sometime take a benzo, and magnesium 800 mg per day.

Do you relate to my complaints?

No doctor over here believes it could be withdrawal. :(

greetings,

Irene

• Moderator Emeritus

YOur symptoms sound like withdrawal to me. I am personally familiar with most of them. Did you stop taking effexor all at once? Did you taper?

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

Irene,

Yes, your symptoms are classic signs of withdrawal. I am also well acquainted with most of the symptoms, particularly the leg and jaw jerking movements (hypnic jerks / restless legs / bruxism). You can enter any of those terms on the Search box and find information as well as realize how common these symptoms are while on as well as when withdrawing psych drugs.

You've found a good place for information that the psychiatrists do not yet have.

An administrator will advise on ways to alleviate your symptoms.

Barb

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I have many of the same symptoms and was wondering what the pimples are on the back. I totally got that and think its a detoxing effect but idk. I use a sauna and that helps I believe. I no longer have that issue and my skin looks quite good with the good diet i am using and keeping up with the sauna.

So what made you go off meds?

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Hi!

Thanks for the replies.

Furthermore I hate the tinnitus during the nights and mornings they are the worst. Does anyone recognize the constant building of eye-dirt in the corner of the eyes?

Sometimes I just want to shoot myself because I cannot work and feel like the living dead.

I tapered over 1,5 years with just 5 mg per month.

How the hell do you sleep ok? The most used herbs like passiflora,melatonin, valerian, you name it don't work for me.

Does anyone know what to use so I can get some deep sleep? I don't care what I need for that...

Please help me!

Irene

What I do not understand is that millions of Americans and Dutch people take antidepressants and only a handfull complain about withdrawal (amount compaired to the millions that is). How can that be???

greetings,

Irene

The post above was not an attack on this website or something...I am just very frustrated and desperate because of lack of sleep. I just don't get it.

Is there any way I can fasten the healing of my nervous system?

kind regards,

Irene

Irene,

I don't think you said anything offensive, don't worry about that. I'm new here myself but there are all kinds of topics to help deal with various withdrawal problems. This one gives a lot of suggestions about sleep and insomnia. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/555-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-withdrawal-insomnia

Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001

Medication-free until 2006

In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam

Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)

Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.

Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).

Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)

May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.

July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.

July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.

August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

• Administrator

Also read Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Many, many people have difficulty withdrawing. They complain all over the Web. Medicine ignores this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Irene33,

I'm still processing the anger after a year of seeing the light. As you may have noticed already, it comes thry in my posts. I feel like im spewing venom quite often.

One of the reasons that more people are not here is that VERY OFTEN the symptoms of withdrawal are diagnosed as relapse or, worse, "bipolar", anxiety, etc. Then more drugs are thrown on the mess. I now recognize many feelings (in a deja vu way) that I had after a horrible run with 2 outpatient programs and a bad inpatient detox (CTd opiate, benzo simultaneously) and I went into a tailspin. In a few months, I was switched between Cymbalta, Effexor, Pristiq, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Abilify, Risperdal. Escaped that hell and had severe anxiety, agoraphobia, akathisia and was put on Paxil. ARGH!!

I now realize that the anxiety, akathisia, and morning dread was withdrawal but NOBODY recognized it. Ok, I must cease thinking now. ;)

If you havent seen Alto's cat, you must....

I'll try to find it.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi dear friends,

Thanks for the support. Sometimes I just wornder if it is just all anxiety on my part and that I am looking for excuses (W/D) for my problems. On the other side I have these complaints that I cannot explain. Maybe the original problem is still there but is interfering with withdrawal? I don't now. It is making me crazy. The stupid part is that I fall asleep rather quickly but I do not get the deep sleep I need. It makes me furious because it looks like I have nothing to say over it.

Thanks for the links. I had looked them over already. To be honest I do not see how they can have an effect on a non-psychological problem, a physiological problem that is.

My psychotherapist just told me he cannot help me because I do not know where my anxiety comes from. Supposedly one has to know why he/she is anxious.

What he did say is that he has never heard someone that is anxious having limb jerks keeping them in shallow sleep stages.

regards,

Irene

Hi dear friends,

Thanks for the links. I had looked them over already. To be honest I do not see how they can have an effect on a non-psychological problem, a physiological problem is.

My psychotherapist just told me he cannot help me because I do not know where my anxiety comes from. Supposedly one has to know why he/she is anxious.

What he did say is that he has never heard someone that is anxious having limb jerks keeping them in shallow sleep stages.

Irene33,

I had to read that a few times. Does your therapist understand his job description? Perhaps im misunderstanding something, but that's ... wow! I'm without words.

I agree that it is very difficult to think past or thru something with neurochemical roots. I had a very hard time in any therapy while on SS/NRIs, I think in part because they shut down emotions. I also didnt find the right type of therapy/ist for me. Ive done more emotional excavation since DCing Pristiq and being on this forum than I did in 18 years o drugs. I recommend Schuyler's discussion of Psychodynamic vs. CBT Therapy:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2042-cbt-vs-psychodynamic-pros-and-cons/page__pid__24319#entry24319

Alto's cat is a good visual of the stages of this Recovery process, including anger. I tried to find it earlier, but didn't.

Alto, can you send in THE CAT?

Barb

Irene, heb je mijn PM gekregen?

(Irene, did you get my PM?)

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Irene...

Claudius is from the Netherlands too, that' got to be comforting. Yes, you do have WD and I have had your symptoms. You said you took 1.5 years to taper. What were you on?

I think that lack of sleep makes the symptoms worse. Here in the US we have a drug called Propanol. It is a beta blocker (blood pressure med) which stops anxiety and can bring on sleep. Google it to see what it is called in your country.

For alot of us the natural sleep remedies do't have much effect.

Antihistamines will also help bring on sleep. Hydroxyzine...

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Irene

Thinking of you, you are definately suffering withdrawals, you're in a great place here.

strawberry

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you using a sleep mask at night, Irene? That and keeping as much light as possible blocked from the bedroom helped me a great deal. Once I was able to sleep, other symptoms began to dwindle.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.