Sally3: Prozac and Klonopin

Sally3

Hi - I haven't been here for awhile. I have been tapering my Prozac and am now down to 5 mg...yahoo. But still a ways to go.

My blood pressure readings have gone up in the last month or so. I have taken blood pressure meds for 20 years...when I c/t'd off the Klonopin 26.5 months ago, my blood pressure dropped way low as I lost 40 lbs...so they decreased my bp meds by half. That is where I stayed for these two years.

Now while tapering off the Prozac for the last 18 months, things were fine bp-wise. Now the bp has gone up and they upped my dose by 10 mg - from 20 to 30 mg of Lisinopril. That didn't seem to make a dent in it, so they told me to go up to my 40 mg (which has been my dose for 20 years). The 40 mg is making me very depressed and is not changing the blood pressure at all.

So I am wondering if this could possibly be due to the taper of the Prozac? Has anyone else had any bp issues like this?

Thank you for reading this and any thoughts/comments would be very much appreciated.

Sally3

Have been on .125Klonopin for 17 years....was tapered off rapidly (3 weeks)from a 6 week updose of 1.50 K....went back on .125 K and tapered off there in 3 weeks - September 7 2010...horrible w/d sx. Have been suffering ever since, although do get windows.
Was put on 20 mg Prozac back in 1993 also...no issues ever with the prozac. Was told last summer to get off the Prozac by a psychiatrist who thought that my benzo w/d was really due to the Prozac i.e., jitteriness, shaking, nervous, anxiety and depression. He wanted me off in 3 months. I started decreasing 1 mg per months - am now down to 9 mg Prozac....feel like I have been tapering incorrectly.

Introductory Post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2439-sally3-i-am-new-here/page-1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally3

• Altostrata

• Skyler

• Jemima

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sally3, Yes my withdrawal from Cymbalta has definitely caused my BP to go up. I switched from Cymbalta to Celexa in May,

and have been having withdrawal symptoms since. I reinstated 10 beads of Cymbalta, then came off that in October. As a result

my BP skyrocketed. I've been to the ER twice since that time with very high BP. I have also been on BP meds for many years, but

it was always well controlled. I ended up reinstating 8 beads of Cymbalta (less than 3mg) earlier this month . My bp seems to have

finally levelled off. I had also been on lisinopril, and was switched to losartan during this recent episode. I've also noticed my meds

didn't have a lot of effect during this time. My bp reached some scary points. In the future, I plan to come off those 8 beads VERY VERY slowly.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

Thank you Lundeliz, for your response. That helps alot...I am going pretty slowly off the Prozac but it is just good to know that others are dealing with this too and I am hoping that this is the cause of this sudden increase in the bp....Thank you so much.

Sally3

Have been on .125Klonopin for 17 years....was tapered off rapidly (3 weeks)from a 6 week updose of 1.50 K....went back on .125 K and tapered off there in 3 weeks - September 7 2010...horrible w/d sx. Have been suffering ever since, although do get windows.
Was put on 20 mg Prozac back in 1993 also...no issues ever with the prozac. Was told last summer to get off the Prozac by a psychiatrist who thought that my benzo w/d was really due to the Prozac i.e., jitteriness, shaking, nervous, anxiety and depression. He wanted me off in 3 months. I started decreasing 1 mg per months - am now down to 9 mg Prozac....feel like I have been tapering incorrectly.

Introductory Post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2439-sally3-i-am-new-here/page-1

• Moderator Emeritus

I tapered off of Lexapro way too fast almost a year ago and during withdrawal, which entailed insomnia and anxiety, my blood pressure was all over the board. It never got dangerously high, but it most definitely went up and down for no reason other than withdrawal.

How are you doing with the Prozac withdrawal? If that's causing a lot of emotional upheaval or physical problems it might be wise to updose a bit and come down more slowly. My blood pressure never got into the danger zone, but if yours has, it would be wise to get it into a safer zone before proceeding with the Prozac taper. Getting off Prozac a few months faster definitely isn't worth risking a stroke.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Lundeliz, for your response. That helps alot...I am going pretty slowly off the Prozac but it is just good to know that others are dealing with this too and I am hoping that this is the cause of this sudden increase in the bp....Thank you so much.

Sally3

Hi Sally... I just checked your sig line. Your last drop was more than 10% the previous dose, and you need to go slower now... 5% for the next cut would be wise, and maybe your BP will settle down.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thank you for your reply Jemima...I definitely don't want to updose on the Prozac but I will stay where I am for a while.. I am going to call the doctor on Monday and see what we can do about the bp meds. She won't understand about the Prozac I am sure. I don't want to have to increase the bp med either as the increase is making me very depressed...so we'll have to figure out something.

The readings are high but not real bad - 150 over 90....sometimes lower than that...and not much higher than that. Thank you so much for responding - I really appreciate it.

Sally3

Schuyler - thanks so much for checking on that - I am going much slower than that - that is a fairly old signature - guess I should update it....I am down to almost 5 mgs...but held for a long time and it took me several months to get from 7 to 5.. I was going a bit faster between 9 and 7mgs...but slowed down. I definitely do not go down 1 mg per month...more like 1 mg every 10 weeks and I hold when I feel it.

But appreciate your adding your advice here...thank you so much.

Sally3

Hi Sally....

So much in common. I have HBP. I did run in my family. When I first went on SSRI's my blood pressure went up. I think, and I could be wrong, maybe it was due to the weight gain from Paxil.

I take Lisinopril. Started at 10 > 20 > 40> and now 60. I have an appointment with the Doctor this week. I can feel that the 60mgs. may have helped, but I need to get a reading.

Genetics - stress - weight - ssri's. Could all of this be the cause? I was told and read that Estrogen contributes to HBP. I take HRT which I am in the process of lowering.

I think weight may be the true reason behind it (for me). I am not heavy, but I am not at my ideal weight.

I saw a movie "Put Down the Fork" - a documentary about people who got off their medicines and stuck to a meatless - dairy free diet and lost weight and their sugar/HBP/cholesterol numbers dropped way down and they did not need medicine. You can google this.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Nikki - Thanks for your input....did you see any change in your mood when increasing to the 60 mg of Lisinopril? When I went from 30mg to 40 - it was like being hit with a sledgehammer - I became very very depressed, suicidal thoughts...etc. I am thinking it is because I am also tapering off the Prozac i.e. less Prozac, less help with keeping the depression gone ....someone here suggested I updose...oh I hate so much to do that as I've worked so hard and long to get down to where I am...but if I need to increase it to keep my BP low, then I guess i I will Just wish I knew if that would work before I updosed...and I really wish I had a doctor who understood all of this...

I think I need to take my BP when I am in a window - which isn't real often...but there is no depession or anxiety during a window and if my BP was also lower, then I would know that it is the "wave" state that pushes my BP up high.

Do you think that the drug w/d's that you did are part of your increased need for BP meds?

Thanks again!

Sally3

• 1 month later...

This is such a crazy question but I am so discouraged at what is happening to me. I am 28 months out from a benzo-free cold turkey. I have been tapering Prozac since August 2011 and have gone from 20 mg down to a little bit under 6 mg. I have been tapering so so slowly - .01 mg every 4 to 5 days or so. It is usually right at the 10% mark or a little under.

I have been having some new sx - headaches, foggy feelings in the head, nausea and of course, some former symptoms from throughout the whole Benzo w/d...body jerks, stomach lurching which I then feel an emotional hit in my brain...body jerks etc. I think I have even felt some brain zaps lately...and of course depression! However on the good side - most of my physical sx from the Benzo w/d have diminished. My feet don't burn as muchno real fluctuations in body temperature any longer and some others are better as well.

I don't know if the sx are now due to Prozac w/d and does it really matter? But how do I know if the symptoms I am having now are due to tapering and if I will be much worse when I am finally all the way OFF Prozac? I am very frightened...I don't think I can handle the depression and worry that if I get worse, I may be in danger.

Perhaps I should have never gotten off the Prozac. I just don't know. I don't feel like I was having any issues with the Prozac and indeed, I thought it was helping me. I decided to taper because a Psychiatrist told me that it was probably causing my anxiety and shaking and that I should get off of it. Now I just don't know .... maybe it was a mistake to taper off...maybe my depression will just get worse as I go further down in dosage. This is all so complicated and painful. Any thoughts on this from anyone? Thanks for listening...

Sally3

Sorry you're having such a hard time, Sally! Maybe you should hold for a few months just to give yourself a much needed rest? You say your benzo symptoms have diminished, but are they still present in some form? Maybe you should wait until you're recovered from that before you finish tapering off Prozac?

Remember, it's not a race, go as slowly as you need to, you could even try 5% tapers, or even less (when you're ready, of course). But if you decide not to come off at al,l I'm sure everyone here would still support you, we all understand how nightmarish withdrawal can be!

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sally

Sorry to hear things havent been going well for you. I would read that as your system saying it needs a rest. I would hold for a while and see if your new symptoms calm down. I dont think you are in a good place to decide whether you should or shouldnt have tapered off prozac. Hold for a month at least and reassess then. I think the closer you get to zero and the longer you have been tapering without significant holds, the more chance that at some point your nervous system will say Ive had enough for now thanks

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

It's difficult to know what's going on between the benzo cold turkey and the Prozac. Probably the best course of action is to updose the Prozac to a point where you were comfortable, before these withdrawal symptoms started. After some time at a stabilizing dose we should have a better idea of what to do next.

I'm so sorry that you're feeling this bad.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I don't think I can handle the depression and worry that if I get worse, I may be in danger.

Hi

I would also agree with Jemima, especially as you said the above.

I am not experienced in coming off AD's but it's good that you stabilise and take it from there.

I am really sorry the meds are giving you such horrible symptoms, and hope that you feel better soon.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Administrator

Agree with all the above. Your choice:

• You may wish to hold until symptoms stabilize, then taper less aggressively.
  • If a 10% taper is too much, taper with smaller decreases.
  • It's possible you can updose slightly, stabilize, and taper more gradually from there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Sally,

I also agree with all the suggestions above, and would like to say something to you, which i think you should keep in mind also when making decisions about tapering and sx,

1) slow taper does not GUARANTEE symptom free wd ------ i slow tapered for almost 5 years to get off 20mg, i had every listed symptom for paxil wd.

2) Instead of raising the dose, why not sit at this dose now until you stabilise, using that time to take a break from tapering.

3) Reduce by much smaller amounts , i shaved my tab away with a metal nail file lol, the aim is to make this as easy on your body and mind as you can,

4) psyche medication are NOT forever drugs, at some point your body will reach tolerance to it, and you will display symptoms of wd at therapeutic doses - it happened to me.

5) Know that with Patience and TIME you will get there, wd recovery is a very slow, gradual process.

6) And of course when deciding the best route to take you have to consider what your ultimate goal is?? is it to live a drug free life????

I hope you can reach some stability with sx, i wish you well sal x

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts, and advice. I am holding now and will stay here and hopefully will stabilize soon. I had a window yesterday - is that considered stabilizing? Today all the anxiety/depression came back....but yesterday was a bonus day for me. That is what confuses me. Since I do get windows, I feel that I am healing even with the tapering of the Prozac. I get so confused over all of this and that is why I just want to get off. But I know that hurrying will only cause me more pain. So I'm just holding for now.

Thank you all again. Appreciate so much your responses to me.

Sally3

PS - Also just wanted to add that in my window day yesterday, there was no depression of any kind...so that gives me hope that when I am off the Prozac and healed from both drugs that I will NOT be depressed. I was never a depressed person anyway - I went on the Prozac for chronic neck pain which has since been healed....

• Administrator

That depression is a withdrawal syndrome, and a sign you should go slower with your taper.

Do not think you have to rush to get off Prozac to fix the depression, you will make it worse.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Alto for that advice....good to know and I definitely will not rush and I am holding where I am for now....this is taking so bloody long but if I can feel better even while I am tapering, it won't matter. My goal is ultimately to be off the Prozac but my true goal is to just get back to normal and if it takes staying on the small amount of Prozac I am on for a longer time period, then that is what I will do. Just yearning so much for my life to come back to me...

Thank you

Sally3

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sally... just to let you know, I posted the following in your Off-Topic thread, but think you may be more likely notified here.. so I'm reposting the following. Hope you are doing well.

Hi Sally... I wonder how you are doing?? Just to say you might want to stop by this thread in the benzo sub forum when you return. Alto suggested we give you an invite, a little overdue I'd say!! Welcome.

You might want to put a link thru to your intro thread from your sig line to get there easily!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 months later...

Hi all - I haven't been here for a while as I have been tapering and it has been going well....until now...so I'm back witha question...

Someone said that there is no "tolerance withdrawal" from SSRI's. Is that right?

Here's an update..

I have been tapering Prozac for 20 months now...started at 20 mgs in Aug of 2011... In March I was down to nearly 4 mg. I was getting increased windows in March while I was still tapering but my waves seemed to be more intense...so I thought I would hold for a month and see if I could stabilize. I am sure I was still healing from a c/t of Klonopin in Sept 2010 as well. But on April 8 I was at 4 mg (1 ml) and stopped tapering.

April brought me more windows - 11 days of windows and 11 days of waves and 9 days of mixed wind/waves...yesterday I was in what I thought was a normal wave and thought I'd be better today...but woke at 3 AM so so depressed, suicidal, anxious,crying all day...totally over the top for my normal waves.

My question is could holding or staying at one dose for almost a month cause this? Could it mean that my brain is wanting me to continue to taper...could it be tolerance withdrawal? Does my brain want me to increase the drug because 4 mg just isn't enough...or as I asked above, do SSRI's not work that way?

I don't know whether to continue holding at 4 mg or start tapering once again? At a loss as to what to do....any thoughts would be very much appreciated..

Sally3

• Administrator

Not to worry, it's a wave. Continue holding -- sounds like those windows are becoming more frequent. This is a good sign.

Eventually, you'll be stable enough to reduce again.

• 1 month later...

Hello - I have the hardest time getting around this site...I'm sure it's not hard but it seems it has changed a bit since the last time I was here and I am a bit lost. I did find all my posts on my profile and I added a post there but no one has commented so I'm thinking that it is not seen and not sure where to post.

I am down to 4 mg of PRozac - and have been holding there since April 8....I am 33 months off of a Klonopin c/t and have been tapering the Prozac for almost two years from 20 mg down to where I am now.

I get dangerously depressed...and it frightens me and I'm thinking that perhaps I need to updose and just stay on the prozac instead of trying to get totally off.  I am just not sure how to updose - should I go extremely slowly - the same way I tapered down or should I go up by larger doses? 

I have had windows where I was totally normal with no depression, but those windows have practically stopped...I get lesser type waves now which I feel is the Klonopin c/t w/d still.  But the depression scares me and I am now afraid to go any lower. 

I would appreciate any suggestions, comments or thoughts...thank you!

Sally3

• Administrator

Hi, Sally.

I merged a couple of your topics in this one and made it your Intro topic. This is a place where you can keep track of your progress, a kind of journal, and ask questions about your particular situation. Please bookmark it so you can find it again.

You can see in this thread that we've discussed the depression before.

It's up to you whether you want to hold or updose slightly by a fraction of a milligram to see if that helps.

Yes, the site software was updated recently.

Thank you Alto for replying.  I am wondering if I do manage to taper down and get off the drug, and I become extremely suicidally depressed, which I have been experiencing some of the time now, whether I can go back onto the Prozac or not.  I know with Benzos, going back on is not always possible...so just dont know if a/d's work the same way. 

And if I do go back up a very small micro amount and it does nothing, then can I keep tapering up?  I just don't know what to do...I have waited since April to stabilize...it's just not happening and I am so very afraid to be suicidally depressed...thank you for any thoughts you have on this...

I would love to ask a knowlegeable medical practitioner but I don't know one or how to find one...and I realize that any comments given to me here are NOT medical advice...

Sally3

• Moderator Emeritus

Sally, I know "since April" feels like a long time to you, but it can take many months to stabilize from a too-rapid taper. "Since April" is no time at all.

In fact, for people who have tapered too rapidly, it can be a year or more before they feel themselves again.

The only difference between you and someone who went all the way down too fast is that you aren't all the way off, but from what you've described it sounds to me like you've been coming down too fast, especially once you hit the doses under 8-10 mg or so. I know that 20 mg in two years sounds slow, but we have found that many people have had to go much more slowly than that, especially if they have a past history of medication changes, like your benzo withdrawal.  (I think, given what I've seen with benzo withdrawal, that you were still not stable from that when your Prozac taper began.) And a lot of people find they really have to slow to a snail crawl as the doses get lower.

It's clear that depression is a common withdrawal symptom, and in my opinion that's probably what's going on for you. It's possible that a small updose would help. I think it's fairly certain that holding your dose and just stopping your taper for a while, at least four months but probably more like six months, would help. 

I do understand your dread of those horrific suicidal depressions. I've had those too, during my years on psych meds and trying to quit them too fast. It's awful.

I've been tapering Celexa for three and a half years, down from 10 mg to 1.6 now, along with some other meds, and I've had no problems with depression, except for occasionally, at which time I stop my taper and focus on lifestyle adjustments (exercise, sleep, social support, getting enough sunlight). So far not only has that always worked, but I find that I am now less suicidal and more happy to be alive than I have been in 20 years. 

Only you can say when things have reached the point where it's worth going back up on the Prozac. I certainly do recommend that if you choose to do it, you do it slowly and stepwise and in very small increments (like a quarter of a miligram), and don't expect immediate results.

I do think, given the history you describe, that if you feel you can hang in there and focus on the lifestyle tweaks, you will actually find yourself feeling much better in a few months.  

Once you feel better, I would recommend waiting another couple of months before continuing your taper, and then restarting it at a slower pace with smaller cuts.  So it takes you four years to get off Prozac, so what? It's better than being stuck on it the rest of your life. And you will find that once you stabilize, you will actually feel much better at the lower doses. But you need to taper more slowly at lower doses too.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and one more thing: in AD withdrawal it seems to be pretty common for people to experience a "relapse" depression at about three to six months out. It's so common that I'm pretty sure there's something going on neurologically in that time frame. That fits so well with your time frame--you got to the low doses within the past three to six months--that I think that's more support for the idea that what you're experiencing now is due to withdrawal.

Again, I think what you need is really mostly just time, and patience, and realistic expectations.  At 4 mg down from 20 mg you are going to have to cut your taper speed down. That's just how it is at the lower doses.  And a corrective hold for a too-fast taper can be more like six months than six weeks. Hang in there.

Of course if you find yourself actively suicidal, you need to do whatever it takes to get out of that state, then stabilize for a long time before you start tapering anything again. Only you can say when you have reached that point. But I do think that with a proper taper you will find the suicidality will gradually go away, unless it was something you experienced commonly before you ever took Prozac to begin with.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Thank you so much Rhi for your comments...I didn't feel as if I had tapered fast at all...but maybe so.  I went from 20 mg to 4 mg in approx. 20 months.  But I see how slow you are going.

But I have something new to add to this whole mess.....today I realized that I had tapered by .10 mg sometime back in April or May INSTEAD of the usual .02 that I was doing every four days or so.  No wonder I have been so depressed.  I just misread the line on my plunger and thought I was under the .4 ml mark but I was really under the 5 ml mark....oh how dumb and dangerous of me to do that...

All this time I felt I was having a setback in either the prozac taper or still due to my K c/t w/d.  Now what should I do...should I updose or tryto stay here where I am and hope to stabilize here? What is the best thing to do...

...and I have made it all worse by trying to add magnesium to my body by trying different brands...and it has made me so much worse.. 

Cannot believe this has happened...how careless of me...  Advice, comments, thoughts?  Anyone?

I have posed this question on my question "Should I updose?"  But am posting it here as well so that I can get as much advice as possible.

I was thinking of updosing from 4 mg upwards of my Prozac liquid due to feeling worse and worse.....and posted a question about it. 

But here is what I have found out..  Today I was going through my records and saw that I had accidentally tapered off of .10 ml .... and never knew it until today...I think I did this sometime in April or May.  Things started going dowhill for me in May.  I had been getting good windows but then one day they vanished and horrible waves descended. 

I realize now that when withdrawing my prozac liquid I withdrew it up to .4 ml instead of the .5 ml that I had been taking...I truly thought that I was at .4 but now after looking at my charts, realize I was still at .5 and I mistakenly continued at .4 since some time in April or May....how careless and stupid of me...that is almost a whole milligram!

No wonder I have been so sick and depressed and suicidal...and on top of all that due to the increased nervousness, shaking and depression, I was trying to take different magensium pillsto help and it only made it ALL worse. 

So my question is this....should I updose back to where I ws originally in april/May or should I tryto stay where I am and hopefully stabilize.  I could already have a month or more into this dose...

Maybe I should updose just a fraction and see if that makes a difference or do I just suffer through?

Would love your educated opinions...thank you all so much.

Sally3

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto would be the best  to answer this or Jemima. The good news is that you caught this fairly soon. I've made a mistake such as this too... so don't feel bad. It was with a benzo though and they are different.

My guess is that you will be advised to up dose.... but to the full amount or part of it I don't know. 

If it were me, I would up dose a fraction to see of I felt any better... 

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thank you areyou there...appreciate your thoughts...

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't beat yourself up, we all make those kinds of mistakes at one time or another!

Have you been taking the lower dose since you went down by that jump? If so I think if it were me I would be likely to just ride it out, since as Alto says, our CNS is not made of rubber, and the more times we tweak and change dosages up and down, it seems, the more of our "slack" points we seem to use up.

If it were me in your position, here's how I would probably break it down:  If I felt suicidal to the point that I might be dangerous to myself, I would try going up a bit and see if it helped, and if it didn't, I'd probably try a new med, because surviving is the most important thing. If my symptoms were interfering with my ability to function in such a way that I was in danger of losing my job, I would probably try an increase, because I have no other source of income and no savings.

On the other hand if I had some slack in my life and could take a few weeks and just focus on lifestyle adaptations (gentle exercise, regular schedule, good diet, sleep, and plenty of sunlight) I would hold and ride it out.

This is actually good news in a way, because it means you're probably doing okay with your taper and this is what threw you off.

I do think you might want to take a look at going slower now that you're down to 4 mg or less. But mainly just take some time to get stable right now before moving on with it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, I know I spoke to you elsewhere, I just read Rhi's reply and I think that the most important thing you can do is stick with the dose you decide to go with for a long while, stop tapering for a good while, as you have been micro tapering fairly rapidly and what with the previous Klonopin cold turkey I think your nervous system needs a rest.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thank you both for your replies...I see that even in my above comment I wrote down the wrong thing...it was .10 ml not mg...and this morning laying in bed I realized that it was even more than that...because I dose twice a day, so it was .10 ml twice a day ..so it was a total of .20 ml total deleted a day...what a shock to my brain....I feel that I need to go up a bit and try to get stabilized...I have never really messed with any of my doses ever...never went back up during my taper at all...just a steady downward trend....so I hope it doesn't cause me issues by going up now...just going to go up the same way I came down...by .02 every few days...hope it helps...thanks again for your advice and comments...

• Administrator

Sounds like a good idea to me.