SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

How to use this site - questions and answers

Altostrata

• Administrator

Help! How do I get around on this site?

SurvivingAntidepressants.org is a forum site. Forum sites have been around on the Internet for a very long time, almost as long as the Internet has been around, and way before Facebook. (Facebook is an elaborate forum site.)

Forum sites are organized very simply.

• There's a main index page that shows all the different forums, like the table of contents in a book. Here, the index page is http://survivingantidepressants.org.
  • If you click on a forum, such as Introductions and Updates, you will see a list of topics inside the forum. You can add to a topic by posting in the box at the end, or you can start a topic by clicking the big black Start New Topic button at the top right of every forum page. (Please look around a bit and try not to duplicate existing topics.)

To go to another forum, you would go back to the index page. You can do this by clicking on the site logo or one of the breadcrumbs at the top of every page. The breadcrumbs look like this:

SurvivingAntidepressants ---> Support ---> Read This First

Edited by Altostrata
updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Not clear how to do something? Post your question here!

I would prefer not receiving email notifying me of posts... unless someone is offering me some chocolate. :) I did receive an email this morning. Thought I had not checked that box. Not sure what to do. Thanks

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

I would prefer not receiving email notifying me of posts... unless someone is offering me some chocolate. :) I did receive an email this morning. Thought I had not checked that box. Not sure what to do. Thanks

Excellent question.

Look up at the right corner of your screen. Click on the bar containing your screen name. In the drop-down menu, click on My Settings.

On the left, click on Notification Options and choose your preferences. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the Save Changes button.

I suggest everyone make sure "Watch every topic I reply to" is unchecked, because the notifications will drive you crazy. I will see if I can turn it off for everyone.

=========

Summary: User drop-down > My Settings > Notification Options > choose prefs > Save Changes

=========

You may have requested notification about a particular topic.

To turn that off, go to the user drop-down menu, go to My Settings, then click on the Forums tab. On the left, click on Manage Watched Topics and click a check next to the topics for which you want stop notifications. Scroll down to the bottom, choose Unsubscribe from the drop-down, click on the button that says "with selected."

=========

Summary: User drop-down > My Settings > Forums > check off topics > Select Unsubscribe > click on "with selected"

=========

I hope this helps. The software vendor is going to redesign this area in their next update.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

please, i cannot find how to have under my name " pm this member"

thanks

You have it, Stan. It's the little letter icon:

send_pm_from_post.gif

You can't see it because it belongs to you, but everyone else can see it.

Is that what you were asking about?

• Administrator

How to find your content

To see all the topics you've posted in, the topics you've started, or all the posts you've made, use the drop-down menu next to your name in the upper-right corner.

Click on the little downward arrow. Choose My Content.

In your content list, use the drop-down menu in the blue bar at the top of the list to change the view.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

Is there a way to log on and see which threads I've posted in, and which threads I've started? For instance, I was told someone had written something in my intro thread. If I wasn't told that, I wouldn't have gone to that thread.

xo

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

There are several ways to do this:

- The link labeled "View new content" in the upper right is a way to see what posts are new.

- In your drop-down in the upper right corner, click on My Content to see all the topics you've started and posts you've made.

- To get e-mail or pm notices of new posts to a particular topic, open that topic and click on the big blue button Watch Topic at the top.

There may be be more ways -- if you know of any, please post here to answer summer's question.

This doesn't answer your question exactly, but it's another way to see if a post has been added to your thread since you were there last --

When you return to the site after being away from it, the folders on the far left will be dark if there's a new post in that forum since you were here last.

Then, there will be a little red-outlined page, also on the far left of a topic title, if there has been a new post since you were here last.

Even while you're on the site, you can reload the forum index page and see what folders have gone dark.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Administrator

Question: Who is Alexa, and why doesn't she post in the Introductions forum?

Answer: You may see a mysterious visitor, Alexa, on this site, with her boyfriend, Google.

Alexa and Google are Web spiders indexing the site so it can be found in Web searches.

I may turn some of them off because they're adding to our concurrent user load. Google is the most important one. (stan, what do you think?)

Here are the spiders (called, in the system, User Agents):

About

Alexa

Altavista

Ask Jeeves

Excite

Google

Facebook

Infoseek

Inktomi

InternetSeer

Look

Looksmart

Lycos

MSProxy

MSN/Bing

WebCrawl

Websense

Yahoo

Google, but with my websites i never take care of alexa, bing and other yahoo motor searcher, i tried some but they are to small

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• Administrator

Google, but with my websites i never take care of alexa, bing and other yahoo motor searcher, i tried some but they are to small

Yes, I thought some of these were out of business.

Here's an interesting wikipedia article on Alexa https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Alexa_Internet It feeds the Wayback Machine!

I believe I'll allow Google and Bing, maybe Alexa, for old times' sake, but turn off the others if I can.

And Firefox has upgraded itself many times in the last two years. That should make a difference, non?

It upgrades itself every couple of weeks. Quel nuisance!

• Administrator

How can I best use View New Content to see topics with new posts in them?

Click on the Activity tab at the top of each page, then View New Content, you will see all topics with new posts in them since your last visit.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

How can I find a link for my post?

To get the permalink for any post, click on the share icon (little branching thing) in the upper-right corner of the post and copy the link.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

What does "Silver star" under a person's name mean?

When you've made your 5th post, your member title will change from Getting Started to Member.

As you increase your posting:

Silver star 100 posts

Gold star 1000

Platinum star 2000

Fingers of titanium 5000

The above titles may change at my whim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

How can I send personal messages?

1) In the upper right corner of the page, you'll see a tiny envelope icon next to your name.

2) Click on that envelope.

You're on your way.....

Edited by Altostrata
updated

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

How can I embed a YouTube video in a post?

To embed a YouTube video,

1. Click on the Share button on YouTube.

2. Click on the Long link box.

3. Copy the long link.

4. In your post on SA, click on the Insert Media button at the top of the post window. (It looks like a little pile of 3 snapshots.)

5. Paste the link into the Insert Media box.

6. Click on the Insert Media button.

7. Save your post by clicking the Add Reply button.

The YouTube window appears in your post.

• Administrator

How can I get e-mail notifications about posts in topics I'm interested in?

To set e-mail notifications:

1. From the drop-down next to your name at the upper right of your browser window, select My Settings.

2. Under Your Options, look at the Settings tab.

3. From the list on the left side, click on Notification Options. Set your preferences.

4. From the list on the left side, click on Your Notifications. Set your preferences.

If you want notifications for a particular topic, click on the big blue Watch Topic button at the top left of the topic.

• Administrator

Someone is irritating me. How can I make this stop?

Personality conflicts happen online and seem even more intense than offline personality conflicts. Do not let these disturb you. You can block seeing a person's posts by putting the person in your Ignored Users list:

1. In the upper left corner of the screen, click on your name.

2. From the drop-down list, choose Settings.

3. On your Settings page, click on the Profile tab.

4. Look at the list on the left side. Click on Manage Ignored Users.

5. Add the person's screen name to your Ignored User's list.

6. You can choose to ignore personal conversations as well as posts.

For you, it will be as though the person does not exist on this board.

If you feel you are being harassed, put the person in your Ignored Users list immediately.

Harassment also may warrant a complaint to a moderator or administrator via personal message.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'm getting unwanted e-mail. How can I hide my e-mail address on this site?

You may have set your e-mail to be visible. To hide your e-mail address:

1) In the upper right corner of the page, you'll see a tiny downward arrow next to your name.

2) Click on that arrow.

3) Select My Settings from the drop-down menu.

4) Under Settings, in the list on the left side, click on Notification Options.

5) In the first choice under Privacy Settings, check the box next to Hide my email address from other members.

Now, if people want to contact you, they must send you a pm. You may wish to get e-mail notifications of your pms. To do this:

6) Scroll further down the Settings page to Private Messages.

7) Check the box next to Notify me when I receive a new personal conversation and any other options you wish to activate.

If you have your e-mail address hidden and personal messages turned off, there will be no way someone other than the administrator can send you a message through this site.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I want notifications about new posts to topics I'm interested in, but I'm getting too much e-mail.

Unfortunately, the new post notification function in this forum software works poorly. You may wish to turn off all topic notifications.

If you still wish to receive notifications, make sure the site e-mail address

survivingads-at-comcast.net

is in your e-mail address book.

To change topic notifications or unsubscribe, change your settings:

1) From the drop-down menu next to your name in the upper right corner, open My Settings.

2) On the "Settings" tab, click "Notification Options." Review settings for "Watch every topic I reply to."

If you have selected "Immediate notification," you may receive an e-mail for each reply made to each topic, which you may find to be a nuisance.

3) Click on "Save changes" button at bottom of page.

4) Click on the "Forums" tab.

5) Click on the "Manage Watched Topics" link. Change topic settings.

6) Click on "Save changes" button at bottom of page.

• 3 months later...

I tried, I really did :wacko: Can't find where to edit info in "My History (confidental)" in left column of Profile page. I don't see this in others' profiles, so assume it is hidden? It is in area with Birthdate, Referred By (also says 'Confidential').

Also, any chance of changing my Screen Name and/or Title of my introduction?

I DID figure out how to change from Mobile format to Full Site all by m'self! I recall a time when I could find my way around a computer... At what point in w/d does that function return??

PIA

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

"Referred by (confidential)" and "My history (confidential)" are fields required at registration. You can't edit them. No one but site staff can see them and they are sworn to keep the information confidential.

You cannot edit your screen name, or a post made more than an hour ago.

If you want such changes made, you'll need to request it of an administrator (me, alexejice, or Patience) and you'll need to give us a good reason to make the change.

Changes in screen names are deliberately limited so as to retain a continuity of identity for the individual.

Edits in posts are limited or we'd be spending all our time doing that.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator

How can I find a post I made yesterday?

There are many ways to do this.

• Use the Search box at the upper right of the page.
  • Use Advanced Search (click on the gear icon next to the Search box).
  • Go to your profile (use the drop-down box next to your name in the upper right) and click on the Posts tab.
  • Go to your profile (use the drop-down box next to your name in the upper right) and click on the Find My Content button under your avatar.
  • Click on the View New Content link at the upper right, under the Search box.
  • Click on the green Discussions tab at the top of this page, click on the forum where you posted. You will see the topics with recent posts at the top.

And many more....

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

How do I post to a topic?

• See the list of forums here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/index or click on the Discussions tab up at the top of every page.
  • Choose the forum you want to post in. You'll see a list of topics.
  • Click on the topic you want to post in.
  • When you want to post, click on the big blue Add Reply button at the top or bottom of the topic.
  • Type your response, click on Add Reply at the bottom, and you've posted.

You have one hour to change your post if you wish to.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Now that I've been on this forum for over a year, I find that my Intro can no longer be accessed from "My Content" because the content only goes back a year. I have to find one of my posts and then click on the link which I (thank goodness) inserted. Is there a way to fix this so that the Intro can always be accessed from the Profile? A setting I missed, perhaps?

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

I looked in the control panel to see if I could change this setting as an administrator. It looks like there is no way to display more than one year's worth of topics.

Very sorry I can't fix this. I suggest you bookmark your topic in your browser so you can find it again.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you aren't happy with the responses to your posts.

To be honest I was a bit daunted when I found this site

and 'lurked' for quite a while before joining. I wasn't sure

where to post or how but it really is quite simple once I

got used to it. The difference between this and many other support

forums is that it's designed so that we can research anything to do

with withdrawal from ADs, that is what it is here for.

To be able to help, staff need to know what meds you are taking

and any you might have taken in the past because wrong advice can

be given without that knowledge. I for one am extremely grateful

for the help I've received and am well on my way to recovery.

Please be patient, the staff have lots of questions to answer and

the rest of us might not have the answers. Also many can read posts

but aren't able to string a sentence together to reply themselves.

I know you can get better and be happy again, so give it a chance and

keep updating your introduction post. That is your journal and it

is easier for people to help when they see your story from the

beginning. I hope you can feel better very soon.

MammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

You've got it, mammaP, this site is different from other withdrawal forums because it is designed for information retrieval rather than just discussion.

Studywise, if something wasn't clear in the responses to your topic, you can ask more questions by clicking on the big blue Add Reply button at the top or bottom of the topic. Your topic is here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4270-studywise-after-weening/

I see that we asked you for more information about your situation.

The way the software works is very similar to any online forum. It may take a little getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Alto....

On my computer anyone who can log on can type in Surviving antidepressants and the site will come up and they can read and respond.

Sooooo I thought the best way to handle a privacy situation in the home would be to use a different member name so if the computer is used I will not be identified.

Can you please delete my recent thread re: Klonopin and direct me from there. Where is the settings button?

Sorry for the inconvenience. Stuff happens.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Nikki, that must be because you are logged in and haven't logged out of the site.

People who are not members cannot post. If someone uses your computer and can post here, it's because you're logged in.

How can I edit my signature?

Thank you.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Administrator

See this topic Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature

Edited by JanCarol
fix link

Tank you Alto.

Now I would like to change or delete my history (confidential) how can I do it? :blush:

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Administrator

That information was entered when you registered. I'm not sure you can change it.

• 2 months later...

Questions about PMs -- I'm confused since the recent (and beautiful) software upgrade. I used to be able to email copies of PMs before deleting (to clear space in my inbox), so I could refer to information in messages in the future if I needed to. And I could delete my signature (which I need to re-do but don't have time). Now I can't figure out how to do either of these. Couldn't find info in "Help" either. Anybody know? Thanks!

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• Administrator

At the bottom of every personal message, there is a link that says "Archive Conversation." Click on this and the pm thread will be e-mailed to you.