SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

David Healy's RxISK.org now collecting drug adverse event reports

Altostrata

• Administrator

Join RxISK.org and enter your report today. https://www.rxisk.org/default.aspx

David Healy promises this will be more effective than the FDA's AER system or the UK's Yellow Card system, see http://davidhealy.org/pharmacosis-trigger-algorithm/ .

ADMIN NOTE: I cannot answer questions about how to use Rxisk.org. For questions about Rxisk.org, register, log in, and fill out the form here http://wp.rxisk.org/contact-us/

Edited by Altostrata
added note

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

Have had an email from Dr. David Healy and hope that others will contribute their stories

Have 3 posts about withdrawal on RxISK stories

the Antidepressant one is brief and is not a horror story

https://www.rxisk.org/wp/index.php?p=425

would be great if we can get a few people to add their stories -

and out of this I will try to generate some frequently asked questions with answers in a few weeks time

David

Poodlebell

Hi Poodlebell I have posted mine.

Dr Healy is trying to raise awareness to other doctors in the hope that we can determine what may help us all.Is anyone else going to post their story????

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• Administrator

squirrel, why don't you and poodlebell invite some people to do this through personal messages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm willing!!

As an aside:

From the link you posted, Poodlebell: "A graded program of physical and mental activity is helpful for withdrawal, stress syndromes and legacy effects." That sounds right to me.

I see this is a strategy in SuperBetter (that someone else posted), and in Morita therapy as well...

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Have had an email from Dr. David Healy and hope that others will contribute their stories

Have 3 posts about withdrawal on RxISK stories

the Antidepressant one is brief and is not a horror story

would be great if we can get a few people to add their stories -

and out of this I will try to generate some frequently asked questions with answers in a few weeks time

David

Poodlebell

I couldn't find a place to post my story. Is there a link to it? I only saw the mention of one drug withdrawal with about five comments.

Hi starlightgirl

thanks for saying you will post your story,

if you click on the link it takes you into the site and you then click on the antidepressant story, scroll to the end you and get a place to do comments. This is where you write your story.

I do hope that others will put their stories on as Dr. Healy is then going to compare out stories and see what he can come up with for helping us.

Hi Alto

will give it a try

poodlebell

• Moderator Emeritus

I posted a comment on there, with a link to my blog.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Dr Healy has a new site and is looking for AD withdrawal stories.

Of the posts I have seen on there they are pretty horrific people with what appear to be permenant long term issues 7 8 years out. How common is this? I thought just about everyone was better within 4years????????

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Hawk,

Nobody knows how many people are stuck in protracted withdrawal. Nobody is collecting statistics...But people's experience of withdrawal is a broad continuum. At one end, are the folks who follows doc's two-week "taper" and are fine after a week or two of broken sleep, weepiness, other mild symptoms. At the other end are those folks who suffer long term as Healey describes. But you don't know where on the continuum you fall, so my advice is, take it day at a time, and don't borrow trouble by scaring yourself about the worst possible case scenario.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, don't forget at the other end of the spectrum, the people who have tapered off sucessfully and just getting on with their lives. You only hear from people with problems.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

It's probably a bell-shaped curve, with most people recovering within x months, but at the slopey right side, fewer people suffering much longer, most likely because they tapered too fast.

Since medicine knows next to nothing about controlling the rate of taper, probably there are a lot more people in this basket than need to be there. Severe and prolonged withdrawal is mostly preventable by tapering tailored to individual tolerance.

I need to write up my story for Dr. Healy. Thanks for posting this, Hawk.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm. I can't seem to reach that page.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Rxisk.org seems to be having technical problems. I've sent e-mail.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrator

Dr. Healy has started a withdrawal syndrome survey to gather data for Rxisk.org, go to http://RxISK.org/SoS and enter your information.

(If anything seems confusing, send the Rxisk folks a note, they want to know how well this is working.)

RxISK has added a Symptoms on Stopping (SoS) Zone to highlight and collect data on the side effects patients can experience when stopping a medication. "While many of us associate withdrawal with stopping things like cigarettes, heroin, or sleeping pills, we may not realize that commonly used prescription drugs for conditions such as high blood pressure, cholesterol, indigestion, and depression have withdrawal effects that can range from mild rebound symptoms to life-threatening crises", says RxISK Chief Medical Officer Dr. Dee Mangin.

• Moderator Emeritus

I finally did it, but I must say that questionnaire is tedious and cranky, and they misspelled "withdrawal" (withdrawl). I don't see any way to contact the staff.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Their Contact Us is w-a-a-y at the bottom of their pages: http://wp.rxisk.org/contact-us/

• Moderator Emeritus

I filled in something a few months ago on a form on the RXISK site about my withdrawal experience and I agree with Jemima it was a horrible cranky thing to fill in and I almost lost the will to live.

• Administrator

I agree. Please write them.

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

From an announcement sent out by Dr. Healy:

I am pleased to announce the relaunch of SSRI Stories, a website that identifies media stories (newspapers, TV, scientific journals) in which prescription antidepressants may be linked to a variety of adverse outcomes, including violence.

The new SSRIStories.org was created by a team of RxISK volunteers who wanted to build on the legacy of Rosie Meysenburg. Rosie and several colleagues created and maintained the original SSRI Stories website until her death in March 2012.

Starting with the original base of 4,600 stories, the team has updated the look and feel of Rosie's website, added more than 400 stories, and developed a classification system so that users can search for stories by category.

Plans are in the works to add a customized Google search feature, which will be fully functional when every story has been classified. (We expect to be finished late 2014.)

Legacy content has been preserved with its original formatting and is available under the Archives menu. Web links to these stories will continue to work they way the used to.

We welcome your feedback about the new website - especially the classification categories - and encourage users to send us stories they feel should be included.

Thank you for your support.

How wonderful Rosie's SSRI Stories are being carried on with this new site. I have to wonder if I'd known more about the psychiatric drugs I was on from online sources I'd known sooner what I know now?

Thank you, Alto.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator

bump

• 7 months later...

ive tried this site its always having problems when i visit.Emailed them no reply ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.