ineedsleep: Off multiple medications

Ineedsleep

Would it work, could it work?? is there even the slightest possibility that it could work with our symptoms.

I had an anticholinergic med overdose (round the clock every 6 hours 100mg phenergan and 25 mg benadryl to abate my migraines), along with continuing to take cymbalta, straterra, nortryptiline and neurontin.

Admitted to the hospital x3 days, kidney infection, rebound hyperglycemia, a mini nervous break down and 10 months later I am still struggling with severe insomnia, and all of the symptoms listed here with antidepressant withdrawl syndrome.

If I even attempt to try and take an anticholinergic, my body reacts as it did but to a milder degree then building to severe (bladder spasms, internal tremor, GI upset, increased agitation and anxiety, heart pounding cortisol levels surging . . . .)

Keep thinking my body will finally kick in and start sleeping but 10 months without sleep is causing me to go psyho. I just can't transcend into sleep, if I do go to sleep I wake up in 2 hours but thankful that I at least fell asleep.

Tried to take 3 doses, 25 mg of straterra over the last few days thinking that I needed to go back on something to just get some sleep and then wean off properly, but my body feels so sensitive and toxic to anticholinergics that I am in a very bad way today and praying that I didn't just make things horribly worse.

Doing a gentle cleanse to hope flush it out of my system and hopefully not have more withdrawl????? But I have a nawing burning feeling in my stomach and anticholinergic dry mouth, trembling, hot and cold, shivers.

I've been drinking concentrated Chamomile tea and just ordered on Amazon things that helped others such as, my b tabs, niacinamide, milk peptides in an attempt to calm my system. Hate the crawling feeling and spasms going down my arms and legs and bladder spasms.

Thankful that I am still not going the bathroom every 1-2 hours 24/7. That lasted 8 months. So that is a huge advancement. I practice deep breathing, prayer, but without sleep my coping skills are suffering greatly and I wonder if I am going to make it, sometimes just want to be out of this misery.

Admitted to the Psych ward this last week for 3 days and 2 nights because I felt I was going to harm myself. They put me on 1000 mg of Depakote and my legs jittered for about 3 hours and no sleep. They gave me Ambien and I slept 30 minutes. They gave me Ativan and I finally slept for 5 hours.

Then assured them that I would not harm myself as something inside me, my higher power told me to RUN as fast I could out of there. It was voluntary admission so I was obliged but I could tell the doctor was disappointed that I wasn't staying around so that I could be a guinea pig.

Do you think there is the slightest chance this could help my insomnia? I'll work through the anxiety, but I have to get some sleep.

Thank you for all of your help in this? Still trying to put it all together. If our nerve endings are still fried, would the brain release seratonin or dopamine? Scared when I read reports that in some cases, synapses never re-establish and this becomes chronic. Often I go 3 days without sleep and then finally sleep a few hours on the 4 day. HELP PLEASE!

Retired USAF Nurse injured in 1998, neck injury. In my 10th month of Antidepressant Withdrawl Syndrome and Anticholinergic Toxicity Syndrome

Zoloft 8 years 50-200mg

Cymbalta 4 years and Straterra 2 years taken together

Nortriptyline 50 mg 2 years

Neurontin 3 months

Ativan 1 month prior to Anticholinergic Toxicity

Round the clock Phernergan 100mg and Benadryl 25mg every 6 hours for 3 days to stop migraines? Hospitalized after 2 weeks of severe toxicity.

Since then . . . could not restart meds as they were all anticholinergics

Placed on Ambien 3 months ago, after 3 weeks I became tolerant then had rebound insomnia

Have periodically taken Kavinace, but after 1 month will build a tolerance then I have to stop for a month before it works again.

Bachs Rescue Remedy, Hylands Calms Forte, Warm milk, Concentrated Chamomile tea, Valerian, Occasional 3.5 mg Lortab to take edge off of pain.

Currently on .05 mg Estrogen, .088mg Synthroid, 40mg Omeprazole, OTC Gaviscon.

Stopped all acidic foods, no caffeine, no alcohol. I've lost 25 pounds in 10 months.

Desperate for sleep and recovery . . . Much love to all who has gone before me in this long and painful journey. Help me please.

Edited by Altostrata
added line breaks for readibility
  • Administrator

Thank you for joining us, ineedsleep.

I transplanted this post from http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?showtopic=2245&st=0 -- there's so much more here about your situation, you don't need to compose another Intro post.

(I've added paragraph breaks -- they make posts much easier to read.)

No, that cranial stimulator for home ECT is very much not likely to relieve your symptoms. It's very important to distinguish between so-called psychiatric symptoms and iatrogenic effects of neurologically active drugs which cause nervous system dysfunction, not relapse or emergence of a psychiatric disorder.

It sounds to me -- and you know I'm not a doctor -- like you have psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome, all right. (I also had the sleeplessness and nighttime urination.)

If withdrawal syndrome, your symptoms are from neurological hypersensitivity. Large dosages of any neurologically active compound are likely to set off "red alert" reactions.

Your nervous system needs to calm down. You might try Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have withdrawal insomnia

Many of us are light-sensitive, although it may not be obvious. Blocking out the morning light and turning the lights down in the evening for a wind-down to going to bed can be helpful.

Those gentle supplements might help, too. When you get them, we can talk about how to use them.

PS 40mg Omeprazole, OTC Gaviscon? I'm worried about this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Altostrata, I've been off of the computer for a few days because I can't handle the electrical current feelings that I seem to pick up off of the computer if I hold it too close. Weird! Then they hang around for a few hours even after I've gotten off the computer. Sensitive to electricity?? I am sooo sensitive. Just please tell me this won't be for a lifetime! 10 months out and yes thankful to have certain situations resolving but the the anxiety and bizarre sensations that come and go out of the blue is unnerving, it wears one down beyond measure. I find that when my anxiety is over the top and I can't replace the negative thoughts with positive ones, then I am guaranteed not even an hours sleep. I've been studying up on the Linden Method to help with the anxiety and fear, PTSD, my ADD issues. It has helped greatly. http://www.lindenmethod.com Started the Magnesium/Epsom Salt baths. Very comforting and relaxing. Must find that link to where I can get the bulk of Magnesium epsom salt that I saw you mentioned in one of the help links. What are your thoughts on the Omeprazole and Gaviscon? The concerns? I am finding the less I take, the better I feel. So I am currently now just taking the low dose estrogen and synthroid. Can we toletate a low dose of Ibuprofen for inflammatory pain? I appreciate your help greatly. Wonderful to have a support group that has been able to find ways to manage their symptoms.

• Administrator

You may be sensitive to the light from the computer, and light in general. I suggest you wear dark glasses while using the computer, and don't use it past 6 p.m. because the light stimulation could be interfering with your sleep.

Since you feel better when you don't use those acid blockers, stop using them. The gut is connected to the nervous system -- everything has to normalize.

Yes, you can take some ibuprofen or aspirin, mild low-dose anti-inflammatories seem to be okay in withdrawal syndrome.

To find the bulk magnesium post, use Search in the upper right of the page. Choose Discussions from the drop-down.

I'm glad you're finding some of these suggestions helpful. Little by little, your nervous system will heal.

(To make your posts easier to read, please put in paragraph breaks.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Altostrata for all of your help and having this site with all of its information. It has helped me greatly!!!

Would it work, could it work?? is there even the slightest possibility that it could work with our symptoms.

[/b]

Clarifying the above statement. Wondering if the Bio Tuner 8 would help me sleep?

Update: Currently only taking .05 mg Estrogen and .088mg of Synthroid. YAY!!! Less is more! No more Gaviscon or Omeprazole! Thank you. Taking Ginger when I have stomach upset.

• Administrator

Very good to hear you're feeling better, INS.

We're watching BentBuddha and how the BioTuner works for him.

Very good to hear you're feeling better, INS.

We're watching BentBuddha and how the BioTuner works for him.

I hope it helps him! I did go through a rough patch but it became less and less frequent with the "daze", I just stuck with it and altered the times I did it as my family kept telling me during those periods how much improvement they were already seeing in me. That kept me going also, as that "daze feeling" makes you go more inward. I also found how important it was to allow my mind and body to start healing again. Feelings started to become more intense at one point (about the 3rd day into using the BT8), lows and highs, tears, but at this point I can see it did me alot of good. It had been so long since I had really felt anything, I had been numb for so long emotionally, mentally and physically. My body feels as though it is healing and those highs and lows are becoming more stable and I'm only 3 weeks out from the start of using it. Still have good days and bad days but not such horribly LOW days. I really hope that this will make a difference for others also that haven't heard about it. Thanks Altostrata.

• 10 months later...

Hi ineedsleep!

Although I can see it has been a while since your last post, I just wanted to respond to it with regard to Omeprazol and Gaviscon. I took Omeprazol for appr 6 years until I stopped last August (2012) - mainly because I was concerned about not absorbing calcium properly, but also because I in general really wanted to do without any medication. But I am still having a hard time without it, and I have to take Gaviscon and other antacids several times a day.

How are you managing without Omeprazol? Did you not have any acid rebound effect?

I also used to take Phenergan for about a year - to help me sleep. But recently I get terrible restlessness in arms and legs and sometimes trunk, when I take it - I did suffer from restless legs syndrome prior to taking Phenergan, but it absolutely makes it worse.

Hope you are still feeling better and positive about things.

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

• 6 years later...

Update: In the beginning I used the Biotuner 8 2x a day and I was able to start sleeping again immediately. ♥️

Then after about a month I started using it once a day and then after a few months I only needed it for stress. It was a godsend for me since I had to come off everything cold turkey due to an Anticholinergic toxicity. Most antidepressants from my understanding are anticholinergics.  I continue to use the Biotuner on occasion for stress or mild depression, and it always helps! Thank you!! 

Congrats on your journey it gives hope ❤

Mirtazapine August 10 2019 - Sept 26 2019

Lexapro August 27 2019- August 28 2019 

Trazodone  July 29 2019 - July 31 2019

Didnt like neither of them 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ineedsleep,

I am quoting over a post of yours I found in the Biotuner topic to here.  It remains there as well, in that topic.

On 1/19/2020 at 4:07 PM, Ineedsleep said:

Ineedsleep

Retired USAF Nurse injured in 1998, neck injury. In my 10th month of Antidepressant Withdrawl Syndrome and Anticholinergic Toxicity Syndrome

Zoloft 8 years 50-200mg

Cymbalta 4 years and Straterra 2 years taken together

Nortriptyline 50 mg 2 years

Neurontin 3 months

Ativan 1 month prior to Anticholinergic Toxicity

Round the clock Phernergan 100mg and Benadryl 25mg every 6 hours for 3 days to stop migraines? Hospitalized after 2 weeks of severe toxicity. 

Since then . . . could not restart meds as they were all anticholinergics

Placed on Ambien 3 months ago, after 3 weeks I became tolerant then had rebound insomnia

Have periodically taken Kavinace, but after 1 month will build a tolerance then I have to stop for a month before it works again.

Bachs Rescue Remedy, Hylands Calms Forte, Warm milk, Concentrated Chamomile tea, Valerian, Occasional 3.5 mg Lortab to take edge off of pain. 

Currently on .05 mg Estrogen, .088mg Synthroid, 40mg Omeprazole, OTC Gaviscon.

Stopped all acidic foods, no caffeine, no alcohol. I've lost 25 pounds in 10 months. 

Desperate for sleep and recovery . . . Much love to all who has gone before me in this long and painful journey. Help me please.

Edited June 25, 2012

How are you doing now?  This, your introduction, is a good place for you to update.  It sure sounds like you have had a difficult journey, to date. 

Are you sleeping now?  What other kinds of symptoms are you struggling with, say in the last 6 mos.?

Welcome back ineedsleep.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature to help us out

I can get a good feel for your history from the above quoted post.  Just condense it a bit, to fit the salient features, into the 12 lines allowed in current signatures.  Take a look at the link and you'll see more specific instructions, on how to's.  And then, when done, don't forget to hit the SAVE button.  We can see signatures below each members posts.  You may want to use a PC for this as well.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I contacted her recently. She is working on her success story!

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay.  Thank you.  Sounds like a good update will be coming soon then!  🤗

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing